PDA

View Full Version : Its scary partying.

AlphaOmega2012
Jul 18, 2012, 04:18 AM
With people that u dont understand. I was in one with all japanese and i was nervous talking kept on using google translator but took me a long time to respond to their questions etc.. :-?

Played the new maps with them tho have no clue how to unlock it lol.

Daiyousei
Jul 18, 2012, 04:28 AM
It's scary the first few times but later on it doesn't. Sometimes even Japanese players will join your party if you leave it open, they may not say much because they are afraid like us of not being able to communicate well, but they will throw in a hi sometimes and a thank you at the end.

Muna
Jul 18, 2012, 04:34 AM
You've got a choice to not play in the non-English server.

AlphaOmega2012
Jul 18, 2012, 04:39 AM
You've got a choice to not play in the non-English server.

True but i hardly see any english players or maybe i am not looking enough. I soloed to 40 but wanted to party now since the new maps etc.. is out lol.

Wokker
Jul 18, 2012, 04:40 AM
I usually use:
"Sumimasen, boku no nihongo wa totemo warui."
(Trans. "Sorry, my Japanese is very bad.")

Priest
Jul 18, 2012, 05:15 AM
It's better to stay quiet.. they might kick you if you are not one of them. And everyone knows the JP players get more action. Bursts and all that

Muna
Jul 18, 2012, 05:19 AM
True but i hardly see any english players or maybe i am not looking enough. I soloed to 40 but wanted to party now since the new maps etc.. is out lol.

My ign is in Japanese, but I'm European (and English-speaking). So it's not always easy to tell unless you try talking.

Well, did you look for the English-speaking players or guilds here?

Agitated_AT
Jul 18, 2012, 05:26 AM
Scary?

gigawuts
Jul 18, 2012, 05:55 AM
I tend to keep quiet and let my gameplay speak for itself. If they like it, great, if they don't, oh well. If they're going to kick me just for having an english name then they wouldn't have been very good friends in the first place.

If I see them asking me questions I'll mention I'm bad with japanese, but would like to play with them if they don't mind.

Ragnarok_
Jul 18, 2012, 06:10 AM
I make bilingual autowords, and shortcuts.

It goes a long way, and in my limited experience they generally respond well. Met someone who, when I had the shortcut of "Hello! I can speak only English." in kanji and English, said "My English is not very good typing, but I can read it" or something to that effect.

I generally just throw that up and let my gameplay speak for itself. Or throw up simple things like 'Rush boss' or 'great job!' to which they seem to get. Also, smileys help a bit if used right. Eases the 'iffiness' I'd imagine.

NuhSieh
Jul 18, 2012, 06:31 AM
I just played with some japanese on Emergency mission.
I began to speak in english, but they said english was a no, in japanese.
So, I used google translation during the two runs, and it seems like it went fine. Even got a thanks at the end of the emergency.

I tried to say only simple things though, since google translation sometimes screw up. ~

So I don't know, I don't find that scary or anything, as long as people are nice, it's fine talking or not.

Muna
Jul 18, 2012, 06:42 AM
It's better to stay quiet.. they might kick you if you are not one of them. And everyone knows the JP players get more action. Bursts and all that

Well, it's not that bad actually. Played on few Japanese servers and they aren't half as bad as you say. I even had an experience of being in a Japanese guild who accomodated English-only speaking player. Some of them translated for him all important things from Japanese to English.

It'd be better if you'd learn at least some basic Japanese. They'll appreciate your effort.

On the other hand, how can anybody play a game (even solo) not knowing its language at all...

ScottyMango
Jul 18, 2012, 06:58 AM
Sounds like some serious social anxiety problems to me, man. I love it when Japanese people talk to me for some reason x:

alicxia
Jul 18, 2012, 08:37 AM
I came across several players in Rappy suits and decided to put on mine. They welcome me as a member of this small group as we communicate with each other with emotes. We didn't use words but actions. I waved to them and they replied back with bows and hand motions. We then danced, sat next to each other like fellow brothers and sisters, flapped our tiny wings/arms, held hands, stared at the night sky as stars shine from the windows. So here i learned something today, being a Rappy and attempting body language as one is a form of communication.

We then bid each other farewell as we gave each other warm furry hugs and continue on our quest.
True story. Except the last part.

Kion
Jul 18, 2012, 09:09 AM
Generally all of the japanese players i play with are pretty quiet. That's actually mostly true for every party as I'm generally the one chatting it up. Recently I've been able to play with Japanese players normally now as I've gotten used to it.

Most of the times you won't need Japanese except for a couple of greetings, so you might copy and paste some expressions into shortcuts. And for partying with english speaking players, it's too hard to tell by people's player names, so the best way to everyone to know is to write comments in english when making a party ("vol dragon runs") or something, just so it's easier to recognize which parties EN players are in.