PDA

View Full Version : Massive problems with the pso2launcher

Aki03
Jul 18, 2012, 01:12 PM
Hi everyone,

I got a really huge problem with the pso2launcher.exe.

Yesterday everything was fine, but today the launcher updates itself (maybe to version Ver.1.0004.0) and after that I have no chance to start the launcher or the game itself. I got an error which says, I got not enough rights or cant access the file even as administrator.

I tried to de- and reinstall the game and after hours of waiting, it seems I could start the game. But when starting the launcher, the pso2launcher.exe updates itself and I got the problem again. I even cant delete it (same error-message), so the only way to delete the file is to uninstall the game all over again : (

To made a backup of all files, reinstall the game, but all files back is a way faster way, but didnt solve the problem, because the launcher made a update again and BAM -> error message.

I dont have an idea what to do now. Is there anyone with a similiar problem or know a solution?

OS and User: Windows 7 64bit and Admin-Account

UnLucky
Jul 18, 2012, 01:21 PM
Try this

Regarding the permission issue, you don't have to delete or replace anything, the patcher update messed up user permissions a bit but it's easy to fix.

Go to your PSO2 installation folder, then look up for files with a lock displayed on them (I don't have my own computer in front of me atm but I believe these files were pso2launcher.exe and such, like a total of 4 files).

Right click on the files, Properties, Security tab (I don't use an english version of Windows so names might differ) then if you do not see your windows username displayed under the "Names of groups and users" list, click on Modify, then Add, and write your username there. Tick all the boxes under the Allow column, then OK.
Rinse and repeat for the other locked files, then it should work fine again.

Aki03
Jul 18, 2012, 01:46 PM
Or shit, problem solved : D

1. made a backup of all files (except the launcher)

2. de- and reinstall the game

3. but all files back and overwrite them

4. downloaded those 4 files and put them in the installation folder (and overwrite):
http://nyaanyaa.ath.cx/stuff/pso2/pso2.zip
http://nyaanyaa.ath.cx/stuff/pso2/pso2launcher.zip

5. start the game and everything is fine : 3

UnLucky
Jul 18, 2012, 01:54 PM
Probably didn't need the first three steps, but glad it works for you now

Neirene
Jul 18, 2012, 01:59 PM
The problem that Aki03 is having is a known bug that is being in process of being fixed soon.

The issue is that the game launcher is having troubles regconizing HDD's formated on FAT32 filesystem because of that the launcher tries to redownload the game and updates over and over and over in an endless loop because it's having troubles with this specific filesystem and therefore not allowing anyone which is using FAT32 to actually run the game.

A solution is in the works already and will be released as soon as possible as they stated today on the official player website at the url:
http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=233

In the meanwhile please consider switching over to NTFS as your hard disk filesystem which is the default of windows XP,VISTA and 7 to avoid similar problems in the future

Aki03
Jul 18, 2012, 02:05 PM
PSO2 is installed on my NTFS-HDD ^^

Feggge
Jul 18, 2012, 02:38 PM
Try this

This one worked for me! Thank you muchly!

Xaton
Jul 18, 2012, 03:09 PM
replaced those files above as said still nothing i can get it to update game gaurd then nothing.

Feggge
Jul 18, 2012, 03:27 PM
Wait... no, not working. It solved the launcher problem but now the game won't start after being updated. Any tricks for that problem?

Dammy
Jul 18, 2012, 03:32 PM
Wait... no, not working. It solved the launcher problem but now the game won't start after being updated. Any tricks for that problem?

make sure pso2.exe has correct permission rights
people usually do it only for those 3 files, but pso2.exe need that too

Feggge
Jul 18, 2012, 03:43 PM
make sure pso2.exe has correct permission rights
people usually do it only for those 3 files, but pso2.exe need that too

I love you! :)

You are absolutely right. The tricky thing there is that PSO2.exe doesn't get a lock icon so it's easy to miss. But now it's up and running so thank you!

Ana-Chan
Jul 18, 2012, 04:08 PM
Well, as I said in another thread, the lock in Explorer is actually meaningless for the game. Just because you can't write to it in Explorer doesn't really mean the game can't write to it. This is certainly true when you are using Windows Vista or 7 with UAC enabled.
Unless something has changed them, the default permissions gives all administrators full access to these files and since the game is set to force you to run as administrator, then this is the only one that matters. So as long as the Administrators group is in the ACL list with full control like it has by default, then there should be nothing that you need to do.
On top of this, the updater runs as administrator, meaning it can take control of the file security, and it certainly uses the Windows functionality to read and change the file security settings.

Mariodante
Jul 18, 2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah, mine's not working either as well as those files I put in the directory aren't allowing the game to start up.

Blizz3112
Jul 19, 2012, 04:21 AM
Yeah, I was like: "Huh? Why doesn't it start?"
Looked at files in the map and wonder... "Why don't they have their normal icons active?" XD

Sissey
Jul 20, 2012, 11:26 AM
heey. i've got the same problem.

reinstall - nothing
replace the files - nothing

now i get this one
http://i46.tinypic.com/10ii63o.jpg

heeelp :(

Feggge
Jul 23, 2012, 05:48 PM
Re-installing the game didn't help. Still have to adjust security settings for the game every time it patches. Kind of annoying but I can live with it...