PDA

View Full Version : Disappoint by Big Vadar?

sparab
Jul 18, 2012, 08:30 PM
Have to admit, this massive battleship is one of the most amazing boss I have ever seen. The battle starts by fighting a way to the deck while dodging/destroying its numerous arsenals. Followed by an transformable command tower with crashing arms and more deadly weapons. This can surely be an exciting boss fight, right? (Along the high tension battle theme)

To me this is partly true, and the fight can be quite simple and boring even on the first solo attempt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKXAvbUypdM
Caution: This video is long and boring. Recorded by unskilled player.

Although the story may be different for other classes, some concepts will remain the same:
- Most/All Vadar's weapons can be EASILY destroyed. Even a cast force can do the job without any difficulty.
- After wiping out the missile launchers and side cannons, the ground level is absolutely safe. We can take a coffee break, have a shower, etc.
- The humanoid command tower has a terrifying look, right? No worry, we can destroy it below the deck level/or the stairs. (May take longer times for sure)

I have yet to try the party mode, hope it may be more challenging than this...

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 18, 2012, 08:33 PM
he's a cool boss but i'll agree, panther duo was harder to solo than this guy. this guy just takes a long ass time.

KEV1N
Jul 18, 2012, 08:42 PM
It's a fun boss but it is rather easy.

Fox2Tails
Jul 18, 2012, 09:01 PM
I've only fought it once so far and it wasn't all that impressive, the party I was with spent all the time on it's deck and just chipped away at it until it went down. What it needs is for some way for it to knock you off and not let you on for a while.

I'll admit that it killed me twice [due to me failing to avoid the beam it files along it's deck] but it wasn't a challenge for something so big

Metalsnake27
Jul 18, 2012, 09:56 PM
Might be easy. But it looks fun as hell lol

xBladeM6x
Jul 18, 2012, 10:55 PM
That's the thing though. I find that the combat is engaging enough in this game, that even though it's easy at times (even when it probably shouldn't be), I find myself having a ton of fun. I'm no casual player, mind you. I just think the game is really fun and interesting in just playing. (At least as a hunter) So this battle is something I've been enjoying a lot.

MUST BREAK ALL PARTS....

ShilohSham
Jul 19, 2012, 12:29 AM
Not really as a FOcast, this felt like the most active boss I had to face! beside just braindead casting Rafoie over and over till dead

Blizz3112
Jul 19, 2012, 03:51 AM
Don't metagame and expect the game not be challenging... Don't spam the same move over again and use items to just fill your TP in seconds. That's your problem, not the boss...

KrankItVZ
Jul 19, 2012, 05:58 AM
IMO they should actually make this boss extremely hard to solo. Considering that everything is great about it except the difficulty they should re-balance it to suit its massive appearance of an actual *battle*ship

AlphaOmega2012
Jul 19, 2012, 06:04 AM
Its a cool Boss. First time i saw it my jaw dropped.

Macman
Jul 19, 2012, 06:56 AM
IMO they should actually make this boss extremely hard to solo.
They already did that with the panthers. I would've been pissed if they did another boss where you can't fit in a single attack and have to dodge 95% of the time if the boss was focused on you.

What it needs is for some way for it to knock you off and not let you on for a while.
It can suck you up into the main cannon and shoot you back down onto the floor.

BIG OLAF
Jul 19, 2012, 07:04 AM
Nope, not disappointed. He's awesome. Besides, he's a bit more of a challenge when you get him like this (http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/BIGOLAF/PSO2/126.jpg).

gigawuts
Jul 19, 2012, 07:10 AM
Dodging melee is one thing, dodging missile spam is a whole other thing.

I'm satisfied with the boss as it is. Not super challenging, but still definitely fun. It's got the "jesus christ we're fighting a land-battleship" novelty going on, so I'm okay with everything else about it.

Hrith
Jul 19, 2012, 07:34 AM
I love that boss, so much fun to fight it. It is easier than the Snow beasts, but unlike the latters, it is FUN to battle.

Probably the best boss in the series so far. I hope SEGA have more like that in store for this game.

Asakust
Jul 19, 2012, 07:38 AM
He's pretty easy. But I enjoy taking him apart piece by piece. Our party always spends the time to break everything on him.

Alnet
Jul 19, 2012, 08:00 AM
Easy? Probably. Fun? Absolutely.

It's great that it's not overwhelmingly difficult to face, but very satisfying to defeat. And as you've heard/will hear for a while, the scale of this fight is just amazing.

... what is it with Sega and games with awesome ship fights? Skies of Arcadia, Valkyria Chronicles, and now this.

KrankItVZ
Jul 19, 2012, 08:03 AM
They already did that with the panthers. I would've been pissed if they did another boss where you can't fit in a single attack and have to dodge 95% of the time if the boss was focused on you.

It can suck you up into the main cannon and shoot you back down onto the floor.

I'm not suggesting that they make him a one shot kill. More along the lines of upping the HP and mix up the attacks abit more. One thing I wanted most in this game in general is for the bosses to move to different parts of the map like in Monster Hunters. Panthers are hard ofc. Theres a reason they put 2, sorta like the equivalent of the Heaven and Earth Quest (Rathalos and Rathian Quo)

Crimera
Jul 19, 2012, 08:23 AM
I dont know why every game has to be OMG HAX hard. You all seem to be in agreement that it is fun without the OMGHAX difficulty.

Isn't that all that should matter?

Personally, I like the way the game is now. It is smack dead in the middle... and it is PERFECT. If you turn your back on the enemy, your losing ~50% of your health. Or you might even get combo'd to death in a wake-up loop.

The game is fine the way it is, I love this game for not being ridiculously hard. Instead, it is smooth like yogurt.

mmmm~ yogurt :3

Meji
Jul 19, 2012, 08:25 AM
Compared to Monter Hunter, PSO2 is child's play. Even so, I find the bosses in PSO so much more interesting and fun! If you find it too easy, I'm guessing your level is too high. We're all around LV 40 now with fully grinded equipment, so it's not tht strange we can easily take 'im out.

Also, wow! Had no idea he could become infected as well!

Sp-24
Jul 19, 2012, 08:26 AM
It is a very disappointing boss indeed. Half of my fight with it consisted of me chatting with my team about how utterly helpless it is, and that was before I've noticed that those rocket batteries can be destroyed, too. It being a gigantic battleship with a crapload of weapons and its own battle theme does not help, if anything, it only adds to disappointment. Can't believe that two overgrown kitties can pose more of a threat than a dedicated murder machine.

Ce'Nedra
Jul 19, 2012, 08:28 AM
This thing should become a MPA boss and then with at leat 10-20x as much hp on every part you can break.

Aside that I kinda love to battle it, even though it is just mindless wacking once you destroy the homing missiles in the back

AlphaOmega2012
Jul 19, 2012, 08:36 AM
Compared to Monter Hunter, PSO2 is child's play. Even so, I find the bosses in PSO so much more interesting and fun! If you find it too easy, I'm guessing your level is too high. We're all around LV 40 now with fully grinded equipment, so it's not tht strange we can easily take 'im out.

Not really i found Monster Hunter easier. Panther is hard in PSO2 then any boss in Monster Hunter imho.

Zyrusticae
Jul 19, 2012, 08:50 AM
I love that boss, so much fun to fight it. It is easier than the Snow beasts, but unlike the latters, it is FUN to battle.

Probably the best boss in the series so far. I hope SEGA have more like that in store for this game.
Pretty much this.

While the cats are challenging, that doesn't make them fun to battle. Too much time spent dodging helplessly, and for those of us without piles of HP or S-Def it can be really frustrating to get combo'd to death (particularly galling when this happens because of Just Reversal, when staying down would actually have saved your life -wtf is that, yo?).

I just feel it is worth noting that Big Vahder really emphasizes how large, unwieldy things are not very good at fighting small, agile targets. It's a battleship! Its meant to fight other large vehicles, not tiny, heavily armed-and-armored people.

BIG OLAF
Jul 19, 2012, 08:51 AM
I think the fight would be a good deal tougher if he actually flew (hovered?) around the map at an above-average pace.

KrankItVZ
Jul 19, 2012, 08:53 AM

Only thing easier in Monster Hunter is probably the dodge as the time frame for the jump is sorta automatic. But yea other than that its more complex.

Fox2Tails
Jul 19, 2012, 01:00 PM
Since we're on the subject of comparing it to MH, it felt like fighting Jhen but Jhen had never left the side of the ship

MAXrobo
Jul 19, 2012, 03:26 PM
As weird as it sounds, I think it needs more guns. or at least make the ones it has have more HP and shoot more often. A large majority of the fight it dosent even feel like im being shot at, even when soloing. and once the missile pods are gone you can basically stand still and be perfectly safe.

aduran
Jul 19, 2012, 03:32 PM
it does drop way more meseta

Finalzone
Jul 19, 2012, 04:05 PM
What is the level of difficulty (normal or hard) you battle Big Varder? I am still on Lvl 20 as hunter (I had not enough time to fully extensively play PSO2 due to busy schedule).

Sp-24
Jul 19, 2012, 04:12 PM
What is the level of difficulty (normal or hard) you battle Big Varder? I am still on Lvl 20 as hunter (I had not enough time to fully extensively play PSO2 due to busy schedule).

Hard, but you are bound to wonder if you accidentally selected Normal, or even Easy.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 19, 2012, 04:16 PM
Not really i found Monster Hunter easier. Panther is hard in PSO2 then any boss in Monster Hunter imho.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLL

i do not agree

unless you're a ranger or force with average stats. even then i still do not agree very much

got my ass handed to me way more often from simply the beginning bosses the big boar, and the dragon with the stubby tail. they have so much hp and i just get knocked down all day etc. i only started doing decent after i switched to hammer and spun 2 wun cause hammer spin does decent damage and it's super easy to aim.

panther was hard at first but after maybe 3 or 4 fights he became a lot easier. with that said the panther duo is the hardest boss stage in the game so far imo, but not really that hard.

if you're having a difficult time, try stacking sub units. chances are your ability may not be up to par, but you should definitely at least be able to equip the +40 hp sub units. hp stacking is really overpowered in this game

Zeota
Jul 19, 2012, 10:22 PM
I enjoyed the fight myself and look forward to seeing similar encounters in the future.

Ark22
Jul 19, 2012, 10:33 PM
Man...remember PSO days where certain bosses were easy to solo but they looked badass....This boss is like..Vol Opt. AWESOME...but easy. Bow..ult mode.....I can't wait to see what the fuck happens.

KrankItVZ
Jul 19, 2012, 10:43 PM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLL

i do not agree

unless you're a ranger or force with average stats. even then i still do not agree very much

got my ass handed to me way more often from simply the beginning bosses the big boar, and the dragon with the stubby tail. they have so much hp and i just get knocked down all day etc. i only started doing decent after i switched to hammer and spun 2 wun cause hammer spin does decent damage and it's super easy to aim.

panther was hard at first but after maybe 3 or 4 fights he became a lot easier. with that said the panther duo is the hardest boss stage in the game so far imo, but not really that hard.

if you're having a difficult time, try stacking sub units. chances are your ability may not be up to par, but you should definitely at least be able to equip the +40 hp sub units. hp stacking is really overpowered in this game

MH is only easier cuz the dodge has like a auto range whr it will dive to safetly 90% of the time. Other than that this is much easier do to the obnoxiously obvious attacks. You can argue MH is also predictable at times but it may not be avoidable due to the stamina. Compared to MH this is much more "Head in to kill whacking everything" while MH needs some item management + planning

Agitated_AT
Jul 19, 2012, 10:47 PM
Man...remember PSO days where certain bosses were easy to solo but they looked badass....This boss is like..Vol Opt. AWESOME...but easy. Bow..ult mode.....I can't wait to see what the fuck happens.

Exactly this. The boss reminds me of vol opt in the sense that he's not exactly a hard boss, but at least it's different from the rest "::D

Tianren
Jul 19, 2012, 10:50 PM
I'm not suggesting that they make him a one shot kill. More along the lines of upping the HP and mix up the attacks abit more. One thing I wanted most in this game in general is for the bosses to move to different parts of the map like in Monster Hunters. Panthers are hard ofc. Theres a reason they put 2, sorta like the equivalent of the Heaven and Earth Quest (Rathalos and Rathian Quo)

Four Horns on the Original Monster Hunter... Oh God that brings back terrible memories, and how it was a god like feat to be able to solo that. ^^;

On the topic of our lovely gigantic boss of shooty things... I don't care how easy he is, just the scale and the fact that it feels amazing to take it down piece by piece and slowly work your way to the core chipping away at it until nothing is left just gives great satisfaction.