PDA

View Full Version : Partying with NPCs is not cool.

Mariodante
Jul 18, 2012, 10:19 PM
Hey, so I've been running from floor to floor looking for groups to party with, and I notice ALL the time that people constantly have full parties of themselves plus 3 NPCs. COME ON, PEOPLE, LEAVE SOME ROOM FOR REAL PEOPLE TO PLAY WITH YOU. 1 NPC seems like enough; they can't do any damage so a healer seems like the only practical one. :-?

Ueno54
Jul 18, 2012, 10:26 PM
I'd rather have my robot slaves follow me as I please and not watch some guy sprint off in the opposite direction while never saying a word.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 18, 2012, 10:28 PM
Yeah. NPCs at least follow me around when I need them. It's not like real players even say a damn thing in the first place, so what's the point?

RocSage
Jul 18, 2012, 10:28 PM
I'd rather play with AI than NI, but if you are Bill Nye PM me and I'll let you in ^.^

Blackheart521
Jul 18, 2012, 11:00 PM
B...But the 2 FUN each from bringing Player NPCs with you... FUN!!!! ^^

Rashiid
Jul 18, 2012, 11:12 PM
So NPCs are more than just meatshields / healbots this time?

Agitated_AT
Jul 18, 2012, 11:13 PM
Well people have the freedom to do whatever they want. As much as I agree with you OP, as you may see from the above post, the freedom aspect of this game counters teamwork alot so people tend to go with NPC's

If you want an excellent team experience however, go with time attack mode ;)

goldwing
Jul 18, 2012, 11:18 PM
I wish there were more teams. Npcs dont cut it for me and to fight the panther boss solo is just ARGH!!! I want to get coffes clint order done to get the mines but noone will help join or even make a party. Tbh it makes me wanna quit and just wait for the english version comes out to play with my real friends :/

MelancholyWitch
Jul 18, 2012, 11:22 PM
and this is why Japanese players get more/longer cross bursts than we do.

Metalsnake27
Jul 18, 2012, 11:58 PM
Usually what people do when noone wants to help them out/solo players.

I usually just take Echo so she can be my heal/buff person. :D (even though my mag heals me too... when he feels like it)

ScottyMango
Jul 19, 2012, 12:05 AM
I don't think I've ever been in a party yet where the person who joined or people already in the party didn't try to talk to me.. o:

Playing with NPCs is kinda.. boring.

pikachief
Jul 19, 2012, 12:17 AM
I always have at least 1 space open in my parties and no one joins me :(

DerpiestShazbot
Jul 19, 2012, 12:24 AM
A bit ridiculous how you can actually fill up a party with NPC's. Almost defeats the whole purpose of the game being multiplayer and rewarding you for working with other actual people.

youcantcatchtheblue
Jul 19, 2012, 12:26 AM
I just wish there was an option in the quest counter to automatically join a party doing that quest instead of always creating your own party or looking yourself for a party.

Tenlade
Jul 19, 2012, 12:48 AM

no they pretty much still are, but the ranger ones occasionally use weak bullet which is worth bringing them along.

texhnolyze
Jul 19, 2012, 12:57 AM
Hey, so I've been running from floor to floor looking for groups to party with, and I notice ALL the time that people constantly have full parties of themselves plus 3 NPCs. COME ON, PEOPLE, LEAVE SOME ROOM FOR REAL PEOPLE TO PLAY WITH YOU. 1 NPC seems like enough; they can't do any damage so a healer seems like the only practical one. :-?

agreed
a healer is all i (we?) need :D

Vylera
Jul 19, 2012, 01:16 AM
Full NPC team = max EXP per kill.

Full NPC team means 12 player limit fills up faster for more spawn for everyone, and forces more multi-parties to be generated.

Full NPC team prevents roamers who refuse to stick together. It happens a lot in free fields.

I lock my personal party when I plan for full NPC team (not like it matters).

Maybe this is why they invented the solo play blocks.

Xaton
Jul 19, 2012, 01:17 AM
doesnt even know how to add npc people into the party lol or even invite some one X.X

gigawuts
Jul 19, 2012, 01:29 AM
Full NPC team = max EXP per kill.

Full NPC team means 12 player limit fills up faster for more spawn for everyone, and forces more multi-parties to be generated.

Full NPC team prevents roamers who refuse to stick together. It happens a lot in free fields.

I lock my personal party when I plan for full NPC team (not like it matters).

Maybe this is why they invented the solo play blocks.

I didn't think NPC's contributed to the player count when determining spawns.

Mikura
Jul 19, 2012, 01:40 AM
Most of the time, I'm doing matter board quests or client orders, so having an NPC team works better for me since real players usually just wanna fart around in a free mission. I hate to say it, but I play the game to get things done on my character quick and efficiently, and that's usually the best way to do it.

It sounds kinda dumb, but I probably won't start partying with people until I'm done with all the matter board quests and client orders that aren't repeatable. And by then, I'll be capped at 40. I guess by that point, playing with real people will be my only motivation to keep me playing. lol

ellu
Jul 19, 2012, 01:48 AM
I tend to get very annoyed when looking for a multi grind area and 1 or 2 people almost always have 2 or more npc's.

Whatever benefit that could be argued for having them < An actual good member to the multi party.

People that wish to play with full groups of npc's should really play in a locked party.

Dan Maku
Jul 19, 2012, 01:51 AM
I'll only do the "NPC Party" thing when doing certain quests. Otherwise, I leave my party open to anyone who wishes to join (unless I'm partying with my bros).

Agitated_AT
Jul 19, 2012, 01:51 AM
Most of the time, I'm doing matter board quests or client orders, so having an NPC team works better for me since real players usually just wanna fart around in a free mission. I hate to say it, but I play the game to get things done on my character quick and efficiently, and that's usually the best way to do it. People are nice, and helping is fun in this game with all the client orders, so the chances are always big they gain something out of it too.

It sounds kinda dumb, but I probably won't start partying with people until I'm done with all the matter board quests and client orders that aren't repeatable. And by then, I'll be capped at 40. I guess by that point, playing with real people will be my only motivation to keep me playing. lol

Nah, really the best way is to socialize with people and simply ask them if they wanna come along. I mean if they do, of course it's all about your objectives so they'll just follow what you do anyways.

Another thing you may wanna do just in case you expect people to join, is to be as clear as possible when titling your game. I always call my games, "no mindless grind" or "no rushing" and add description how I do play which is mostly based around exploring and killing everything that comes in the way.

The missions are spread so expecting 3 people to join immadiatly is maybe farfetched, but catching at least one person in the lobby can change the experience alot.

I never, never use NPC's

Mikura
Jul 19, 2012, 01:56 AM
Nah, really the best way is to socialize with people and simply ask them if they wanna come along. I mean if they do, of course it's all about your objectives so they'll just follow what you do anyways.

Another thing you may wanna do just in case you expect people to join, is to be as clear as possible when titling your game. I always call my games, "no mindless grind" or "no rushing" and add description how I do play which is mostly based around exploring and killing everything that comes in the way.

The missions are spread so expecting 3 people to join immadiatly is maybe farfetched, but catching at least one person in the lobby can change the experience alot.

I never, never use NPC's

Or....I could just use my NPCs and avoid all that hassle to begin with. Not saying I dislike people. I just don't wanna be bothered to tell people what I wanna do all the time. Now once all my objectives are done? Sure, I'll play with people. Because by then, I can just go with the flow and help contribute during the fights.

Halcyote
Jul 19, 2012, 02:01 AM
how many topics about this are we going to have?

i'm too low leveled for my team and frands so i'm forced to solo until i'm up there with them. i leave my parties open but no one really joins unless it's an emergency mission.

whatever. don't care that much.

Lyric
Jul 19, 2012, 03:18 AM
I tend to get very annoyed when looking for a multi grind area and 1 or 2 people almost always have 2 or more npc's.

Whatever benefit that could be argued for having them < An actual good member to the multi party.

People that wish to play with full groups of npc's should really play in a locked party.

Well, when we start having 'good' members join our teams, maybe it will be a different story. At this point 9/10 if I don't bring NPC's no one joins anyway, or if they do, they wander around as someone said earlier. I'm always nice to whoever is in the party, but honestly effective teamwork has been rare. At least with the NPC's I know what I'm getting.

moorebounce
Jul 19, 2012, 03:27 AM

lol that haven't changed at least when fighting bosses that is. Killing hinchmen they're great but fighting bosses they're meatshields and sometimes healbots.

Agitated_AT
Jul 19, 2012, 03:32 AM
Or....I could just use my NPCs and avoid all that hassle to begin with. Not saying I dislike people. I just don't wanna be bothered to tell people what I wanna do all the time. Now once all my objectives are done? Sure, I'll play with people. Because by then, I can just go with the flow and help contribute during the fights.

I just wish for other people to experience the same great experience I do. I don't play MMORPG's where mechanics don't encourage people partying, whihc is one of the reasons why I almost left pso2. Pso1 was very easy in this because everyone could do anything at anytime. In pso2 that is not the case. Content is wide and spread.

All you really do is say, 'can you join me with this mission'? People almost always say yes in my case. Plus really PSO2 in my opinion has such an amazing city that is fun to hang out with anyway. People are always chillin and jokin around. One that doesn't have social disorders will defenitly make enough friends eventually.

Seriously there have been missions as of late around the late content in hard, that I can't solo anymore. NPC's are useless at bosses so you can't always count on them. At one point you have to "play the game"

Don't take it the wrong way, i'm not trying to be a smartass :P. My intentions are pure ^^

Zorafim
Jul 19, 2012, 03:52 AM
and this is why Japanese players get more/longer cross bursts than we do.

The japanese are usually the ones filled with NPCs.

Taurus83
Jul 19, 2012, 04:20 AM
Is there different between partying with NPC AI and Friends partner AI?

Shou
Jul 19, 2012, 04:28 AM
The people who bring NPCs to multiparty areas do not realize that the other groups want a group of 12 Players in the mob to spawn more enemies and trigger more PSE bursts.

It is rude to bring NPCs to a multiparty mob. I have seen multiple mobs disband because of this issue.

Ana-Chan
Jul 19, 2012, 04:31 AM
Isn't it just as rude to expect that everyone play in exactly the way you want, or arrogant? If you want to have large parties, then go to the party related blocks, that is why SEGA named them that way.

xhrit
Jul 19, 2012, 04:36 AM
Is there different between partying with NPC AI and Friends partner AI?

Friend partners can have better gear, and can set the skills they want to use...

Agitated_AT
Jul 19, 2012, 04:41 AM
The people who bring NPCs to multiparty areas do not realize that the other groups want a group of 12 Players in the mob to spawn more enemies and trigger more PSE bursts.

It is rude to bring NPCs to a multiparty mob. I have seen multiple mobs disband because of this issue.

Lol are u mad? Go and sue sakai

Shou
Jul 19, 2012, 04:53 AM
Most people play in the labeled universes. They are always filled to the max first. I can see how someone or myself would feel frustrated when this happens. It can take a while sometimes to organize a 12 man mob.

You can play chess by randomly moving pieces. Doesn't mean you should play it that way, or more importantly be shocked other people would point out the downsides of such a play style.

Hansha
Jul 19, 2012, 05:35 AM

This is exactly the reason why I do not want to play with NPCs.
If I want to farm an item properly, I have to look through multiple blocks to find an MPA filled with no NPCs. Sometimes, a person with an NPC party is preventing me from joining a group for farming. Other times there is a 11/12 room with only three actual players in it.

I'm not sure, but I think NPCs get a couple more mobs in codes, but they don't make the codes themselves more frequent or increase the likelyhood of more difficult codes. They can prevent a farming group from easily attaining a good PSE Burst or making it harder to Cross Burst due to low damage output. And I definitely want a handful of players if I ran into Code: Protection, and that's the most important code in MPA farming. And of course, they spam the chatboxes with autowords all day.
Basically, if you just want to play alone with NPCs, please go to another block that isn't active. People should be in populated blocks to play with other real players.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 19, 2012, 05:41 AM
To all of those people who bring 3 NPC's into multiparty maps:

If you are not a terrible person, choose the 2nd option below the password

Kazzi
Jul 19, 2012, 05:43 AM
I usually bring 3 NPCs with me. I set the multiparty password if there are lots of parties on the same quest as me. I don't set it if there's only one or two other parties on the same quest though or I'm on a quiet block. So sue me. \Even if you leave your party open, people rarely join it unless it's a boss mission.

Hrith
Jul 19, 2012, 07:37 AM
I solo with NPCs with always one slot open, no one ever joins. I could have three NPCs with me, it'd be the same.

The crappy MPA system is mostly to blame, I reckon.

ExHumor
Jul 19, 2012, 01:36 PM
Hmm, tough call I'd say, on one hand, that's what makes Pso games, so interesting, the fact you don't actually need human players in order to beat the game, or make it far at less. Npcs have their pperks, while so do human players. it would seem that Npc Partners you create are stronger then ththe normal npcs, and if you set their skill traits well enough, even using melee Npc is worth while, its especially fun having npcs with rocket launchers.

But I would have to say playing with an actual human player, is a little more useful then playing with npcs, as players do more damage, and re definitely not as useless as npcs, humans are far.more.capable doing timed missions, but, I personally have made three friends of money join pso2, so... we definetly clear out quests and timed missions a little quicker.

Think I'd rather play with other humans, the reason not many players will not talk too much, is for fear of being banned, just a caution from other foreign games to take into careful consideration.

Kimil Adrayne
Jul 19, 2012, 01:41 PM
I'm surprised at the responses in here.

Come on people, at least leave 1 spot open for people to join. Bots can't use Moon Atomizers and do not increase PSE levels.

I always start with 2 bots, and boot them as people join.

Yuicihi
Jul 19, 2012, 01:49 PM
If I remember to check and see that there are a few parties doing the mission, I'll password protect the party and switch off Multiparty as a courtesy. I've seen what happens when you have several parties in one MPA filled with NPCs.

Otherwise, my party is pretty much always open and free of NPCs. I've had some nice Japanese players join, mostly when I play the City mission.

Ana-Chan
Jul 19, 2012, 02:32 PM
Well, one more thing to remember. The current blocks that are used by western players overlap the solo play blocks that SEGA recommend the Japanese use.
Currently 20 is the last party block, 21 and 22 are solo play blocks and 23 onwards are unnamed with no recommended usage. Before the last update I believe the blocks overlapped with the level 31-40 blocks (they reordered them recently).
So if you end up on 21 or 22 and come across people with NPCs in their party, you can't really complain. It is more likely a Japanese person who is using the block for its intended purpose. Of course, if you are on 20 and you find someone like that, then you can call them rude as much as you want.
Otherwise, I generally don't see what the problem is with people using NPCs if that is what they want. First, they do count towards PSEs, but you need at least 2 to make a difference. Secondly, it is a fairly simple way to increase the enemy spawns with just 3 people.

Clunker
Jul 19, 2012, 02:43 PM
I'm surprised at the responses in here.

Come on people, at least leave 1 spot open for people to join. Bots can't use Moon Atomizers and do not increase PSE levels.

I always start with 2 bots, and boot them as people join.

How does one boot a NPC mid-mission?

Ana-Chan
Jul 19, 2012, 02:45 PM
How does one boot a NPC mid-mission?

Press t or middle click to allow you to use mouse control, left click on the NPC and the menu that pops up should contain it.

UnLucky

Needs to be a votekick for entire parties to the whole group

Or a setting for "players only" next to the friend or team only checkboxes

DoubleCannon
I have to say NPC's make me mad only because you guys do realise that more human players = more monsters to spawn and codes + field bosses? Also helps in getting pse bursts / cross because more spawns = more pse bonuses. I was hoping having npcs would also cause this benefit but found it does not and i was kinda sad only cause I can never find a good party thats like 3/4 before I join in the missions I want to play.

More humans = better exp and rare hunting!

Ana-Chan
Jul 19, 2012, 02:49 PM
I have to say NPC's make me mad only because you guys do realise that more human players = more monsters to spawn and codes + field bosses? Also helps in getting pse bursts / cross because more spawns = more pse bonuses. I was hoping having npcs would also cause this benefit but found it does not and i was kinda sad only cause I can never find a good party thats like 3/4 before I join in the missions I want to play.

So essentially, more human players makes it easier for you and allows you to be more selfish?

Lostbob117
Jul 19, 2012, 02:53 PM
Three words to end thread really, "Get over it" Also anyone that wants to run with me cause I do talk during missions unless I'm trying to get a client order done let me know. I'm on ship10 and ship2.

UnLucky
Jul 19, 2012, 02:55 PM
So essentially, more human players makes it easier for you and allows you to be more selfish?

where did this come from? he's saying it's better for everyone involved to have full parties of players

Halcyote
Jul 19, 2012, 02:56 PM

so by this thread:
if jp players supposedly run with npcs

and supposedly have longer cross bursts

doesn't that mean that pse/cross bursts happen whether the players are human or not?

what are we complaining about again in this dead horse topic?

Ana-Chan
Jul 19, 2012, 03:00 PM
where did this come from? he's saying it's better for everyone involved to have full parties of players

Even the ones who enjoy playing solo and stick to the solo play blocks? But the general points that people for full parties and calling those who don't like doing it as not cool come up with end up as more exp, more weapon drops and more PSEs. So this means that the arguments feel a lot more like "it is better for me".

njdss4
Jul 19, 2012, 03:06 PM
I'd rather have my robot slaves follow me as I please and not watch some guy sprint off in the opposite direction while never saying a word.

This. A million times this. NPCs are 100% reliable when it comes to staying together as a group. Far too often, I see other players run off randomly to fight by themselves for no reason, or they drop group without saying anything, or they go AFK without saying anything, or refuse to zone to the next area when the run needs to be finished in a certain amount of time, etc.

Having actual players in your group usually means much better damage than NPCs can dish out, but it also means a much higher percentage chance of being grouped with idiots. I can completely understand if someone doesn't want to put up with that, as I'm getting near my limit of it as well.

DoubleCannon
Jul 19, 2012, 03:09 PM

unreal... you clearly dont understand what I am ultimately trying to say so I will ignore your comment.

Lostbob117
Jul 19, 2012, 03:16 PM
unreal... you clearly dont understand what I am ultimately trying to say so I will ignore your comment.

I hope Ana-Chan understands everyone get their own drops so, everyone profits no one is selfish.

Ana-Chan
Jul 19, 2012, 03:18 PM
I hope Ana-Chan understands everyone get their own drops so, everyone profits no one is selfish.

I understand that, but increased party members = increased drops per person, so again, it still seems like part of the "ultimately good for me" thought process.

UnLucky
Jul 19, 2012, 03:18 PM
Even the ones who enjoy playing solo and stick to the solo play blocks? But the general points that people for full parties and calling those who don't like doing it as not cool come up with end up as more exp, more weapon drops and more PSEs. So this means that the arguments feel a lot more like "it is better for me".

The solo player should turn off MPA and password their room. Filling a multiparty with bots is "not cool."

But allowing players in will give them more exp, drops, and PSEs so it's better for them still.

I don't really agree with a designated "solo play" block to begin with. Why do they need to group up to be alone? Joining the least populated one makes more sense to me. The complaints aren't just on solo blocks either

Lostbob117
Jul 19, 2012, 03:22 PM
I understand that, but increased party members = increased drops per person, so again, it still seems like part of the "ultimately good for me" thought process.

No, please understand now, it would be "ultiimately good for everyone" you're not looking at the big pictures which people happen to not do most of the time.

Ana-Chan
Jul 19, 2012, 03:28 PM
The solo player should turn off MPA and password their room. Filling a multiparty with bots is "not cool."

But allowing players in will give them more exp, drops, and PSEs so it's better for them still.

I don't really agree with a designated "solo play" block to begin with. Why do they need to group up to be alone? Joining the least populated one makes more sense to me. The complaints aren't just on solo blocks either

Maybe the complaints aren't just on the solo play blocks, but this post turned up the same day that SEGA moved the Japanese solo play blocks to 21 and 22. So I'm wondering how much of a factor that had in this.
Also clearly SEGA doesn't agree with you on the designated solo play blocks, and there have always been a fair amount of Japanese players on them too, so clearly they don't agree either. The fact that SEGA put aside some blocks as solo play actually helps a lot, anyone who wants to party should avoid these blocks. That is what really should happen. The big problem is that now the solo play blocks have moved from 1-4 or was it 1-3 to 21-22 so now there is less blocks (so the Japanese solo players are more concentrated) and it overlaps with the pre-arranged blocks that the western communities decided on.
Also think about it this way, no designated solo play blocks means that players could be under pressure to play in groups, how much of a turn off would that be? Maybe not to you, but what about the people who find interacting with others uncomfortable.

No, please understand now, it would be "ultiimately good for everyone" you're not looking at the big pictures which people happen to not do most of the time.

Again, why am I not ultimately looking at the big picture? Or is that some sort of get out clause because I am pointing the simplest reasoning for a lot of what the "it isn't cool to party with NPCs" stands for? The big picture that I see is that not everyone likes forming massive groups and running around together, in fact, this entire thread feels a lot like preassure to the people who solo, including one person who dislikes the idea of solo play blocks, into forming parties or just not playing the way they want.
While it is true that it is beneficial for all in the large groups, it seems to be the major motivation for this thread, not part of the whole. So it seems like selfishness and "it being better for me" is the major driving force. Now if that isn't me seeing the big picture, then I don't know what is.