PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 doesn't start

Felicia Wildstream
Jul 19, 2012, 04:15 AM
Hey folks, it's been a while since I was here.

I was updating my Phantasy Star Online 2 game today, everything kind of worked okay until the .BIN/EXE file started to tell me that I don't have the rights to use this 'path'.

I already did a system restore till 11th Juli and patched the game again, it first worked and I was able to log-in again and do my stuff, but after I shut down the game for a while and wanted to start it again the same problem appeared again!

It's the first time that PSO2 act like that and I really don't know what to do. I wanted to deinstall and re-install the game, but I'm afraid that all my datas might get lost.

Can someone please help me?

Sincerely:
Felicia Wildstream

Ana-Chan
Jul 19, 2012, 04:29 AM
The latest patch seemed to have made some clients break rather badly, and to be honest, I'm not really sure why.
First of all, don't worry about your data. Your main character data is saved on the SEGA servers, so you won't lose anything. What is stored on your computer is things like symbol art, chat logs and screenshots (the stuff in My Documents).

For the time being, if the drive where PSO2 is installed is NTFS, could you give the security settings for the game's main executable files. (If you installed to the default location, then it should be C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\PHANTASYSTARONLINE2\pso2_bin or C:\Program File\SEGA\PHANTASYSTARONLINE2\pso2_bin if you didn't install it into Program Files, go to where you actually installed it.)
Right click on pso2.exe and go to the security tab and see what entries are there and could you then reply in this thread? The same with pso2launcher, pso2updater and pso2download too if you don't mind.

Felicia Wildstream
Jul 19, 2012, 04:55 AM
The latest patch seemed to have made some clients break rather badly, and to be honest, I'm not really sure why.
First of all, don't worry about your data. Your main character data is saved on the SEGA servers, so you won't lose anything. What is stored on your computer is things like symbol art, chat logs and screenshots (the stuff in My Documents).

For the time being, if the drive where PSO2 is installed is NTFS, could you give the security settings for the game's main executable files. (If you installed to the default location, then it should be C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\PHANTASYSTARONLINE2\pso2_bin or C:\Program File\SEGA\PHANTASYSTARONLINE2\pso2_bin if you didn't install it into Program Files, go to where you actually installed it.)
Right click on pso2.exe and go to the security tab and see what entries are there and could you then reply in this thread? The same with pso2launcher, pso2updater and pso2download too if you don't mind.
That's very good to know that no game progress get deleted when deinstalling the game.

I've done the things you told me to do, and strangefully everything has a check mark exept 'special authority'. On pso2launcher, pso2updater and pso2download asked me to open the authorities though I don't have administration power, but this seems to be normal I guess. And yes, the drive is NTFS where all my PSO2 files are installed on. I can't believe that the last PSO2 update broke the game.

Ana-Chan
Jul 19, 2012, 05:01 AM
So it looks like

http://nyaanyaa.ath.cx/stuff/img/sec.png

http://nyaanyaa.ath.cx/stuff/img/sec2.png

Including the Administrators and Users?

Felicia Wildstream
Jul 19, 2012, 05:05 AM
Yes, everything looks exactly like in the screenshots you've done, there aren't any changes in the security tabs.

Ana-Chan
Jul 19, 2012, 05:13 AM
Sorry for asking that confirmation, I know it is frustrating since you want to play the game, and here someone is asking stupid questions.
But truthfully, yours is the first report that I have managed to ask questions about before someone mentioned to add their user account to this list, so I was being sure.
The only two things that I can suggest for now is to first remove the SEGA directory in My Documents (this is where settings and stuff goes) if you want to keep screenshots and stuff then you can rename the directory instead of removing it, just make sure PSO2 is unable to find it. This has helped some, the other thing that I can suggest is replace the game executables with known working versions. I have mine currently available at http://nyaanyaa.ath.cx/stuff/pso2/pso2launcher.zip for the 3 main launcher files and http://nyaanyaa.ath.cx/stuff/pso2/pso2.zip for the main pso2 executable. Of course, if you don't trust those, getting them off of anyone you can trust is enoug, as long as they work.

Felicia Wildstream
Jul 19, 2012, 05:22 AM
Thank you very much for your help, Ana-Chan, and I don't mind about asking so many questions since it's always good to know that people do care alot about the 'inner problems' of something... also I'm not very knowledged about computers/laptops/notebooks.

I will try the files you've currently available and hope that my game will finally run again since SEGA started a new scratch session with new outfits and such which I don't want to miss, but also because of leveling up and all the quests.

It's still a kind of mystery that my game booted up after a system restore, installed the new updates, ran normally so I was able to log-in and log-out and blocked the permission again when I tried to play it again.

Edit: The files have worked, I can boot up PSO2. Thank you very much for your help, Ana, I owe you one for this :)