PDA

View Full Version : 20th July maintenance

jooozek
Jul 19, 2012, 08:17 AM
It will take place at 11:00AM to 4:00PM JST. Apparently some minor bugfixes.

一部不具合の修正のため、明日7月20日(金)11:00~16:00にて、ゲームサーバーの臨時メンテナ ンスを行います。

pikachief
Jul 19, 2012, 08:21 AM
Phantasy Maintenance Offline 2.

Except its for reals no "phantasy" D:

oh in case you guys are wondering: that's tonight for Americans!

7PM Pacific
9PM eastern

Gardios
Jul 19, 2012, 08:32 AM
And I'm still not done patching the last patch.

sigh

GoldenFalcon
Jul 19, 2012, 08:34 AM
7PM Pacific
10PM eastern

:I
blah

AlphaOmega2012
Jul 19, 2012, 08:34 AM
Maintenance again :disapprove: Yawn.... :D

Zyrusticae
Jul 19, 2012, 08:54 AM
Man, what? One of these days they've got to figure out how to make these maintenance periods shorter... :(

moorebounce
Jul 19, 2012, 08:55 AM
Well I'm looking on the bright side. By time this has it's NA/EU release all the bugs should be worked out.

r00tabaga
Jul 19, 2012, 08:57 AM
Well I'm looking on the bright side. By time this has it's NA/EU release all the bugs should be worked out.

Thats what i was thinking. I hope your right about that.

Somnia
Jul 19, 2012, 09:09 AM
Crap.. I was looking forward to playing all night after class. Tomorrow will have to be some nonstop gaming to make up for this!

KrankItVZ
Jul 19, 2012, 09:24 AM
Minor bugs = 5 hours? Oh cmon SEGA you can do better than this...

texhnolyze
Jul 19, 2012, 09:27 AM
yet another maintenance?

okay.jpg

Clunker
Jul 19, 2012, 10:46 AM
Thats what i was thinking. I hope your right about that.

...except that SoA will likely release it san-fixes, just so NA can experience the lovlieness we have. Geh.

DESSYX
Jul 19, 2012, 11:05 AM
If it's just minor bug fixes I don't see why they don't just wait until next week's scheduled maintenance to roll them out. This is getting ridiculous.

jooozek
Jul 19, 2012, 12:29 PM
...except that SoA will likely release it san-fixes, just so NA can experience the lovlieness we have. Geh.

Are you seriously going to blame SoA for SoJ giving them unfixed versions? SoA will push out whatever SoJ gives them, if you want to play the blame game, blame SoJ.

Asuni
Jul 19, 2012, 12:30 PM
Minor bugs = 5 hours? Oh cmon SEGA you can do better than this...

Yea it's getting annoying

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 19, 2012, 12:32 PM

Haha! Good one!

Are you seriously going to blame SoA for SoJ giving them unfixed versions? SoA will push out whatever SoJ gives them, if you want to play the blame game, blame SoJ.

Oh, you mean kind of like how NA PSU keeping bugs for an extended period of time despite JP PSU having them fixed months ago was SoJ's fault too?

Oh wait...

moorebounce
Jul 19, 2012, 12:40 PM
Yea it's getting annoying

I don't look at it as an annoyance because as a NA player SOJ could make it harder for us to play (non Japanese IP bans) outside of having japanese menus.

IndigoNovember
Jul 19, 2012, 01:10 PM
Wasn't it happening later tonight? Why is it happening right now?

Hucast-Kireek
Jul 19, 2012, 01:16 PM
Well..There was this NPC standing out there..so..

Really what was that about?

And now there's maintenance.

oifjustus
Jul 19, 2012, 01:18 PM
Probably trying to fix moved npcs again lol.

Hucast-Kireek
Jul 19, 2012, 01:23 PM
Do they move by themselves by glitch or were they moved by..someone.

Ce'Nedra
Jul 19, 2012, 01:27 PM
Someone moved them a few hours ago again. Guess someone is wanting attention.

IndigoNovember
Jul 19, 2012, 01:27 PM
And the servers are back up until later tonight, easy fix I suppose.

Hucast-Kireek
Jul 19, 2012, 01:33 PM
I see I see, that was unexpected.

jooozek
Jul 19, 2012, 01:40 PM
Oh, you mean kind of like how NA PSU keeping bugs for an extended period of time despite JP PSU having them fixed months ago was SoJ's fault too?

Oh wait...

If NA/EU gets a bugged version then its SoJ to blame for shipping this to us. Do you believe that on the NA/EU side someone will even be allowed to touch the code? Wait, what am I saying; do you believe they will ever get even a glimpse at the source code? :D

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 19, 2012, 02:30 PM
If NA/EU gets a bugged version then its SoJ to blame for shipping this to us. Do you believe that on the NA/EU side someone will even be allowed to touch the code? Wait, what am I saying; do you believe they will ever get even a glimpse at the source code? :D

Eh, SoA is just as guilty as SoJ. So, what? If SoA gets a faulty product, I can't get mad at SoA for not getting off their asses to fix it?

We saw how well that worked for PSU. I can assure you, SoJ is not the only one to blame here if the NA version is buggy.

AnnabellaRenee87
Jul 19, 2012, 02:34 PM
I wonder if its to fix what I seen last night. Was sitting in the lobby and all of a sudden someone starts casting Resta. I said my WTFs and went to a Premium block and didn't go back to block 20 the rest of the night.

Dan Maku
Jul 19, 2012, 02:37 PM
inb4pplthreatentoquitpso2becauseofconstantmaintena nces

Quatre52
Jul 19, 2012, 02:40 PM
Eh, SoA is just as guilty as SoJ. So, what? If SoA gets a faulty product, I can't get mad at SoA for not getting off their asses to fix it?

We saw how well that worked for PSU. I can assure you, SoJ is not the only one to blame here if the NA version is buggy.

Do you just not read what is being said? I'm gonna go ahead and assume you aren't, and hope that maybe...MAYBE, you'll read this time.

SoA can only put out what SoJ gives them. They don't get to make changes to it, they put out, what SoJ gives them. There fore, bugged version with no updates is sent, thats what they get to put out. You can hate SoA all you want, but the blame goes to SoJ.

Ana-Chan
Jul 19, 2012, 02:42 PM
If it's just minor bug fixes I don't see why they don't just wait until next week's scheduled maintenance to roll them out. This is getting ridiculous.

Except that one of the "minor" bugs is the whole game patches screwing up. Or are you expecting people who had their updates fail wait until next week?

Finalzone
Jul 19, 2012, 04:17 PM
Man, what? One of these days they've got to figure out how to make these maintenance periods shorter... :(

Preventive measure. Maintainers are human. The last think you want is to screw the entire update with minor error like typos without proper testing.

Keiko_Seisha
Jul 19, 2012, 04:22 PM
Another maint?

Okay. I mean it's not like Steam has been having a summer sale for the past week and I don't have anything else to do.

AnnabellaRenee87
Jul 19, 2012, 04:28 PM
These threads remind me how so many people don't understand what it means to perform maintenance on servers, deploy software to thousands of clients, and then make sure your documenting everything on the way so your co workers know what you did to the server at the time the maintenance.

One of the servers here at work goes down every month around the same time, why? because the log files max out the hard drive and someone has to go in to the server, copy them out and then delete the months worth of logs.

Would it be better to put a backup solution in place to delete the files after a certain date and make sure they are backed up before deleting them? Maybe, is it cost effective to fix a server? Maybe. But the next part of the problem is getting the Administration (management) to pay for said software and proving to them that it will help with the running. Or maybe your the type of Administrator that likes job security and like to prove your useful by hitting CTRL+A then the DEL key. every 30-40 days.

BTW, This is my work.

The game has only just came out and if you look at it like this, the software was released with holes in it, bugs where still present, and the server may not be performing to their liking. then again there may just be something that they need to delete or look through.

Beyond that just let them do what they need to do and fix the issues it has so they can one day go back to weekly/monthly maintenance periods.

Another maint?

Okay. I mean it's not like Steam has been having a summer sale for the past week and I don't have anything else to do.

Oh and that is the reason why them doing their maintenance right now is not that bad.

Zari
Jul 19, 2012, 09:44 PM
*finally gets rid of virus on comp*
*goes to play PSO2*
*another maintenance*
http://oi50.tinypic.com/2mn10js.jpg

AlMcFly
Jul 19, 2012, 09:52 PM
I wonder if its to fix what I seen last night. Was sitting in the lobby and all of a sudden someone starts casting Resta. I said my WTFs and went to a Premium block and didn't go back to block 20 the rest of the night.

Yeah. There was a poser newm (with a name tribute to broomop) doing super-jumps and running faster than he was supposed to. Iono. I never understood the appeal behind hacks that are useless other than sheer boredom.

Rieselle
Jul 19, 2012, 10:09 PM
These threads remind me how so many people don't understand what it means to perform maintenance on servers, deploy software to thousands of clients, and then make sure your documenting everything on the way so your co workers know what you did to the server at the time the maintenance.

Shrug, whilst its ok to give them a bit of forgiveness since its Sega, and Japanese game devs are traditionally terrible at online technologies, we should all remember that Guild Wars 1 never had any maintenance in all its years of operation (other than a handful of times.)

So it's perfectly possible to have an MOG free of maintenance if you are smart in how your tech is designed. Especially in heavily instanced games like PSO2 and GW1.

We cant be too hard on Sega but we shouldnt assume that this is how it has to be, either.

Priest
Jul 19, 2012, 10:15 PM
Hopefully they'll fix that bug with moon atomizers not working sometimes.

thematesV2
Jul 19, 2012, 10:38 PM
Shrug, whilst its ok to give them a bit of forgiveness since its Sega, and Japanese game devs are traditionally terrible at online technologies, we should all remember that Guild Wars 1 never had any maintenance in all its years of operation (other than a handful of times.)

So it's perfectly possible to have an MOG free of maintenance if you are smart in how your tech is designed. Especially in heavily instanced games like PSO2 and GW1.

We cant be too hard on Sega but we shouldnt assume that this is how it has to be, either.

Guild Wars is ArenaNet and NCSoft, which are American and Korean, respectively. not japanese. I played guild wars from day 1 for about a year and a half, and there were plenty of maintenance updates/patches.

edit* also, lets not get started on whether asian markets have a good handle on "online techs" since they have about 400% the online game market we do. (and about 400% the online gamers we do as well.)
end edit*

Also, there's no way, in the modern gaming world, to put out an online multiplayer and not have to maintain something about the game. Everybody has to maintain their stuff to keep it working, fix bugs,
squash hacks... some companies prep for it better than others, but everyone has to do it.

I don't see the issue, but perhaps thats because I'm not trying to play on a daily basis.

I hope everyone can stay entertained until their next journey into PSO world.
as for me, I'm going to bed here in a few.

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 19, 2012, 10:46 PM
Hopefully they'll fix that bug with moon atomizers not working sometimes.

You had that happen to you too, huh? I wasted two yesterday. The other time I couldn't even use one to bring my party member because because they died and were in a floating animation so their body's position apparently wasn't recognized.

Ugh.

KrankItVZ
Jul 19, 2012, 10:47 PM

The Japanese are good with tech but they dont have a world-wide target in mind. Their maintenances make much more sense in their time frame and as you can see if you've been around long enuf Asian dev games generally don't bat an eye on other customers other than their locals

AlVaRo0515
Jul 19, 2012, 10:51 PM
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7544/62833571.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/62833571.png/)

holdthephone
Jul 19, 2012, 10:54 PM
hilarious

Garnet_Moon
Jul 19, 2012, 10:54 PM
Another maint?

So many Steam games around me... I want them all...

ZcRaider
Jul 19, 2012, 10:59 PM
You know guys....for every action, there is an equal reaction. Simple physics. You rush a game from open beta to Full game...you get bugs and people who exploit them. Unforeseen problems are 100% sure to surfice. Some small...some big. The only "Good" trade off is the instant content...when there adding content that is.

The simple fact is:

THIS GAME HAS BEEN RUSHED BECAUSE SEGA NEEDS MONEY.:argh:

And because sega has segregated this game to a local (japan vs Global) format, they are not recieving enough funds to PREVENT these long maintence cycles. Does Sega care....Yes. There just used to there old ways.

These frequent maintence cycles are a by-product of presumptious action. These are the people we look to for our precious PSO2. Complaining about it does not solve anything.

Accept it for what it is...and ride the waves.....or play something else. :-?

The later.... is inconcievable because we are all HOODWINKED...by Sega. Myself included. :bondage:

Cheers :beer:

P.S: Interesting fact...but the NA version of this game will probaby have less maintence because all the problems will be worked out in the JP version. Thats assuming that Sega Japan and Sega Euro actually communicate with each other. The problem is the content will be a half a year or so behind. Unless Sega changes there mind in the future about delayed content distribution. Always a trade off.

Rieselle
Jul 19, 2012, 11:00 PM
Guild Wars is ArenaNet and NCSoft, which are American and Korean, respectively. not japanese. I played guild wars from day 1 for about a year and a half, and there were plenty of maintenance updates/patches.

edit* also, lets not get started on whether asian markets have a good handle on "online techs" since they have about 400% the online game market we do. (and about 400% the online gamers we do as well.)
end edit*

Also, there's no way, in the modern gaming world, to put out an online multiplayer and not have to maintain something about the game. Everybody has to maintain their stuff to keep it working, fix bugs,
squash hacks... some companies prep for it better than others, but everyone has to do it.

I don't see the issue, but perhaps thats because I'm not trying to play on a daily basis.

I hope everyone can stay entertained until their next journey into PSO world.
as for me, I'm going to bed here in a few.

Guild Wars is developed by an american dev and published by a korean publisher. I played GW1 for as long as you did, and I definitely remember that there wasnt any weekly maintenances that most other games had. I double checked their website and it seems to list about 3 maintances downtimes over the past 2 years or so.

Dont conflate japan and korea into "asia" - koreans have a lot of experience with MMOs and their MMO tech is generally pretty good. America/Europe is pretty good with server/PC software in general so their tech is often good too. (although major fails do occur like D3).

Japan is generally weak at software, especially large scale software. Their strengths lie in small/optimised software for handhelds / last gen consoles, and of course the art styles that we all love.
If you look at japanese MMOs, you'll see that none are particularly impressive technically - FF11, FF14, SMT:Imagine, the Phantasy Star games, etc.

You wont see some of the tech innovations of western/korean MMOs being used in Japan. (eg. EVE's single server for everyone tech, along with its upcoming DUST514 integration, Guild Wars 1's streaming server with no downtime and updates on-the-fly, etc.)

Having said that though, I dont think any MMO has matched the original PSO's character creation system until APB / EVE. And PSO2 is even better. The face/body blend system is very good.

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 19, 2012, 11:02 PM
>20th July maintenance
>YO DAWG I HEAR YOU LIKE MAINTENECE FOR PSO2

http://i.imgur.com/SdmW7.jpg

chiramu
Jul 19, 2012, 11:15 PM
I wanted to play some more before work too :<, at least Japan is only an hour ahead of me :D.

shiink
Jul 19, 2012, 11:26 PM
Meh, maintainance. They gotta do what they must. However, the 1 min. warning for maintainance is just a bit abrupt. wish they would let you know at least a little beforehand.

Alnet
Jul 19, 2012, 11:28 PM
Was doing the mission with Tranmizer with a group, and Tranmizer attacked us early via Code Duel. Upon killing it, the mission ended. We went to the boss room, but nothing was there but a telepipe.

... if they actually caught that bug and fixed it this quickly, I will be just delighted.

Arika
Jul 19, 2012, 11:31 PM

No worry, you won't gonna see maintenance much, instead you guys will ask them to please have some maintenance.

NoiseHERO
Jul 19, 2012, 11:32 PM
No worry, you won't gonna see maintenance much, instead you guys will ask them to please have maintenance.

D:....

Low blow...

MissMalice
Jul 19, 2012, 11:33 PM
It could be worse, I suppose...

Slade23
Jul 19, 2012, 11:46 PM
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7544/62833571.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/62833571.png/)
lol funny.

But it's like everytime I plan on playing PSO2 for more than 2 hours... a maintenance shows up. lol

Kanore
Jul 20, 2012, 01:30 AM

hahahahahaha

oh man

BogusKun
Jul 20, 2012, 01:37 AM
Imagine if your girlfriend was like a PSO2 weekly/emergency update...

...frequent menstrual cycles.

For now on, we will refer to downtimes as such. Menstrual sessions.

Yunfa
Jul 20, 2012, 01:52 AM
Maintenance is pushed back for another hour...the frustration

Izuna
Jul 20, 2012, 01:54 AM
Imagine if your girlfriend was like a PSO2 weekly/emergency update...

...frequent menstrual cycles.

For now on, we will refer to downtimes as such. Menstrual sessions.

I don't understand, a menstrual cycle wouldn't make her completely unavailable.

Although we probably shouldn't talk about that here.

Totori
Jul 20, 2012, 02:01 AM
Well you do need to take this in consideration, they have to maintain more than one server unlike PSU. So they have to back the data up first then work out the problems, then test. This isn't really that bad if you played other MMO's.

Some have had 3 days of downtime, for NA. I think the server will be pretty stable.

NoiseHERO
Jul 20, 2012, 02:07 AM
thought PSU had two servers

our crappy version aside...

This is the most maintenance I've ever seen after a full release of a game...

Then again this is one of the first times I've played a game in it's early days, from it's own country. compared to playing it after the original game is 5 years old already and the host is some shitty F2P game host that doesn't even care to fix anything for months.

So yeah lots of maintenance just means they actually give a shit about their product.

ALSO GO DO SOMETHING ELSE!!!

SOMETHINGS GOTTA TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE SCREEN! (Yeah right, PSO2 is down; Just go play PSOW)

Akiyama
Jul 20, 2012, 02:09 AM
It could be like Diablo 3.. which was launched as a buggy, unplayable mess of a game that went straight into the toilet..

I"m glad they're working on fixing things early on in the game's life cycle though instead of ignoring it completley.

IndigoNovember
Jul 20, 2012, 02:09 AM
In case anybody was wondering, servers down for another hour: http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=237 .

Solstice
Jul 20, 2012, 02:10 AM
thought PSU had two servers

our crappy version aside...

This is the most maintenance I've ever seen after a full release of a game...

Then again this is one of the first times I've played a game in it's early days, from it's own country. compared to playing it after the original game is 5 years old already and the host is some shitty F2P game host that doesn't even care to fix anything for months.

So yeah lots of maintenance just means they actually give a shit about their product.

ALSO GO DO SOMETHING ELSE!!!

SOMETHINGS GOTTA TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE SCREEN! (Yeah right, PSO2 is down; Just go play PSOW)

I can't, Guild Wars 2 isn't out yet.

Totori
Jul 20, 2012, 02:10 AM
Hrm, gives me enough time to eat some late lunch!

UnLucky
Jul 20, 2012, 02:12 AM
In case anybody was wondering, servers down for another hour: http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=237 .

dimmit, and I already got out the cake and a tall glass of milk :<

MelancholyWitch
Jul 20, 2012, 02:13 AM
Wondering if they'll fix bugged Moon atomizers in Tundra, and that code in desert, I haven't had a problem with that in mines but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually didn't even know about it...

AlMcFly
Jul 20, 2012, 02:17 AM
I want them to retract their recent update and lower the number of people allowed in a block at any given time. Raising the number of people in order to ease up server lag (or whatever) has not done anything. It is now just graphically laggy.

dh8d1
Jul 20, 2012, 02:43 AM
Omg. I finally install my game, get through the Japanese to get the updates, register my account, yada yada yada, and... maintenance is still going.
It's 12:43 in California where I'm at... I just wanted to play really quickly before going to bed!

Oh well, it's not like I'm paying for it. (Yet)

Maybe this time is good for me to make an account with picture, profile, and all...

(btw, this is my first post, so, be gentle. :razz:)

Feggge
Jul 20, 2012, 03:57 AM
Yeah, servers still down! This is even outside the extra hour that they planned, anyone got a clue what's going on?

ashley50
Jul 20, 2012, 03:58 AM
Yeah, servers still down! This is even outside the extra hour that they planned, anyone got a clue what's going on?
http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=240

Ana-Chan
Jul 20, 2012, 03:59 AM
The servers came up, they noticed some problems still existed, and so they took the servers back down. Currently there is no end time.

Hosaka
Jul 20, 2012, 03:59 AM

They went up for about 20 minutes or so, until Sega's servers derped so hard they herped.