PDA

View Full Version : Is There Going to be an English Patch for the Release Version?

ignika98
Jul 19, 2012, 09:30 AM
Is there going to be and english patch for the release client, or will we have to wait for the us version next year?

r00tabaga
Jul 19, 2012, 09:34 AM
No sir. You and I will have to wait.

ashley50
Jul 19, 2012, 10:25 AM
there's already a set release for the NA/EU version, why would you need an English patch still?

Galax
Jul 19, 2012, 10:29 AM
Because the US/EU servers are not linked to the JP servers, which for anyone that played PSU should be reminding them of what happens in that situation. The JP servers seem to end up lightyears ahead of us before long, because we get left mainly in the care of the less-than-competent SoA for US - I'm not sure of what goes for Europe, perhaps their branch is better, or maybe it's still managed by SoA. Which would suck. But I'm not going to put my trust or hopes in SEGA to run the US/EU version right. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, I'll play JP, patch-that-we're-not-supposed-to-talk-about or not.

r00tabaga
Jul 19, 2012, 10:29 AM
We would all love a patch but it ain't happ'nin. I haven't heard of any unofficial ones yet either. I'd rather not risk the the trouble of it all anyways.

NewAgeRed
Jul 19, 2012, 10:32 AM
I don't trust Sega to keep the US/EU version up to date. so I hope an English patch is still being made.
Also 2013 is so far away. >_>

Galax
Jul 19, 2012, 10:34 AM
Considering it's SPRING 2013, not as far away as it could be. They could have made it come out in Winter.

Zipzo
Jul 19, 2012, 10:37 AM
Isn't it against the rules to make threads like this?

r00tabaga
Jul 19, 2012, 10:48 AM
nope.

Galax
Jul 19, 2012, 11:04 AM
As far as I know, yeah it is, roota. If you check up top, you'd see in the stickies that they want zero discussion of patches - that means posting AND messaging.

Darki
Jul 19, 2012, 11:08 AM
It shouldn't be against the rules debating about if SEGA themselves are going to release an official english patch for the JP version. Why would it be against the rules?

DESSYX
Jul 19, 2012, 11:08 AM
There's already a language setting under configuration, it just doesn't do anything right now. You would think they would roll English mode into the Japanese client once all the work is done, but then again this is SEGA we're talking about...

Darki
Jul 19, 2012, 11:14 AM
Honestly I don't think they're planning about that anymore. If the language option is still there is because they're too lazy to take it off. I'd like to have the game in english for the JP version, but by the time the US/EU server is up, I'll probably be able to work the game by memory without trouble.

Sasamichan
Jul 19, 2012, 11:26 AM
Isn't it against the rules to make threads like this?

Asking/providing a link is, discussing the patch, no.

Vashyron
Jul 19, 2012, 11:51 AM
The patch is happening. It's just a huge hassle, basically something that will just take time. This does not equal "lol it's not happening, it's out of their league guise."

Anyway I'd expect it be working sometime soon considering the chatter on IRC.

r00tabaga
Jul 19, 2012, 12:03 PM
There's hope.

njdss4
Jul 19, 2012, 12:42 PM
Asking/providing a link is, discussing the patch, no.

Exactly. As long as no links or specific site names where patches can be obtained are going around, we can talk about it all we want.

The patch is happening. It's just a huge hassle, basically something that will just take time. This does not equal "lol it's not happening, it's out of their league guise."

Anyway I'd expect it be working sometime soon considering the chatter on IRC.

IRC, eh? I hope you're right! I got my hopes up after hearing there was something called a "de-icer" out, but someone explained that it had nothing to do with the ICE encryption.

Kous
Jul 19, 2012, 01:08 PM
As far as I know, yeah it is, roota. If you check up top, you'd see in the stickies that they want zero discussion of patches - that means posting AND messaging.

I think we can talk about it just dont post any links

Hucast-Kireek
Jul 19, 2012, 01:13 PM
You know how the JP has the whole SEGA ID thing? how will SEGA handle this?

Zipzo
Jul 19, 2012, 01:21 PM
It shouldn't be against the rules debating about if SEGA themselves are going to release an official english patch for the JP version. Why would it be against the rules?
That seems like a stupid debate when they've already announced separate US/EU servers.

eharima
Jul 19, 2012, 01:33 PM
People think SEGA will release an OFFICIAL translation for the JP server.

Oh my sides, I don't think I have an epic lol pic small enough to fit in this thread.

Your best options are either the one being worked on ...
(and even then, sega will just update and change the encryption again, how many times untill people give up and/or make it closed source)

Or when the NA/EU client comes out, depending on circumstances and implications, connecting to the JP server via the English client through workarounds.

Darki
Jul 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
That seems like a stupid debate when they've already announced separate US/EU servers.

Did it occur to you that there might be non-JP players who would like to stay in the JP servers?

I doubt SEGA is not aware of that. I also doubt they'd make a patch just for us, of course, but hey, maybe somebody decides to make a patch based on the US/EU servers for the JP game.

njdss4
Jul 19, 2012, 02:58 PM

It's not so stupid if you actually realize that there's a good chance the JP version of the game will always be months ahead of any other version in terms of content released. Also, a lot of folks may not want to start over when the NA version is released if they already have a high level character, which most of us will.

See? The English patch seems a lot more important now, doesn't it?

UnLucky
Jul 19, 2012, 03:02 PM
they'll not release a patch as you continue playing on JP servers paying them money, get fed up eventually, and start from scratch in English paying them more money

Hobbez
Jul 19, 2012, 03:13 PM
they'll not release a patch as you continue playing on JP servers paying them money, get fed up eventually, and start from scratch in English paying them more money

I am playing now and will continue to do so for the forseeable future. By the time the english language version is out, i will have 8-9 months of progress on my current character. I very much doubt that I will drop all that work to start over just so I can read the story. I mean really? If your level 60 or 70 by then, maybe on multiple jobs even, covered in rares and have a full friends list, your going to just up and start over?

As far as spending money, I'm waiting to see if something actually worth spending cash on shows up in game. Personally, I feel the current free to play system is a business mistake. I would definatly have paid a monthly fee just to play PSO2, but as it is, there is nothing that costs real money in the game that I'm interested in. So, at this point anyway, english or not, Sega hasent made me want to spend any money since everything I enjoy about the game is free.

Its just my opinion but, I'd be willing to bet a donut there are a lot of folks out there that feel the same.

watashiwa
Jul 19, 2012, 04:09 PM
Even if they do manage to get an English patch working, you'll only be able to get basic quest objectives, NPC names, and generic things like menus, combat text, etc., translated.

Any conversation text or quest dialog, which is the meat of the story, cannot be translated by the team. Reason being is because the quests are downloaded from the server as soon as you start them, similar to PSO and PSU. So, if you're waiting on an English patch to be able to play the story, you're just going to have to wait for the official version of the game.

If all you care is about the interface, then I suppose you can hold out... But yeah, not likely going to happen with the encryption unless someone manages to modify the game to not care about the modified files.

Even if things do get to working... Every time the game is patched by Japan to add more content, you'd have to wait for the translation team to translate any interface changes and disable the file checks again in the new executable... And that's only good if they didn't change how the encryption or checks work AGAIN...

Bottom line... Anyone waiting for an English patch for the Japanese version of the game should probably just give it up and accept playing it in all Japanese... Otherwise, you're sort of wasting your time.

Yexes
Jul 19, 2012, 04:20 PM
I hope they allow a one time transfer to the english ships

RedRaz0r
Jul 19, 2012, 06:06 PM
Considering it's SPRING 2013, not as far away as it could be. They could have made it come out in Winter.

No official statement has said Spring. It's only said 2013. It could be winter, it could be in January.

If you disagree, please show your source of the whole Spring thing.

Mike
Jul 19, 2012, 07:53 PM
No official statement has said Spring. It's only said 2013. It could be winter, it could be in January.

If you disagree, please show your source of the whole Spring thing.

Coming to North America and Europe in Early 2013
Spring sounds early. Summer, fall, winter? Not so early.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 19, 2012, 08:03 PM
Spring sounds early. Summer, fall, winter? Not so early.

I'd like to point out that the official article does not say "early"

Hucast-Kireek
Jul 19, 2012, 08:13 PM
Will there be or is there that whole SEGA ID thing in SOA/SOE?

Mike
Jul 19, 2012, 08:23 PM
I'd like to point out that the official article does not say "early"

That it is. Aside from early, the announcement posted to our news (http://www.pso-world.com/news/02455-sega-officially-announces-western-release-pso2-2013) and the announcement posted at Sega's site (http://www.sega.com/news/?n=5722) are the same though.

Zipzo
Jul 19, 2012, 09:04 PM
It's not so stupid if you actually realize that there's a good chance the JP version of the game will always be months ahead of any other version in terms of content released. Also, a lot of folks may not want to start over when the NA version is released if they already have a high level character, which most of us will.

See? The English patch seems a lot more important now, doesn't it?On the contrary. The inclination to allure the english speaking players to continuing to play on the JP servers (a'la english "patch"), is actually the last thing SoA wants (and probably the last think SoJ wants for SoA from a completely understandable and fair perspective).

It makes absolutely perfect sense why SoJ would have absolutely zero intention of adding an english patch. Ever. Which is why they won't. Ever. Get over it.

ScottyMango
Jul 19, 2012, 09:06 PM
ZIPZO IS ALWAYS SO CERTAIN ABOUT HIS SPECULATION.

I don't think they will either, but the language setting is obviously there for a reason.

Macman
Jul 19, 2012, 09:09 PM
At this point I could almost play just fine without the patch. Though I mostly attribute it to the limited time I actually HAD the patch in CBT to help memorize the menus.

As of right now, the only things that throw me off without translations is equipment abilities, matter boards, and client orders, and we have psublog for those.

Zari
Jul 19, 2012, 09:24 PM
There is a fanmade english patch coming out. Don't know how long it will be till it is done but I heard that it should be out in not TOO long.

njdss4
Jul 19, 2012, 09:31 PM
On the contrary. The inclination to allure the english speaking players to continuing to play on the JP servers (a'la english "patch"), is actually the last thing SoA wants (and probably the last think SoJ wants for SoA from a completely understandable and fair perspective).

It makes absolutely perfect sense why SoJ would have absolutely zero intention of adding an english patch. Ever. Which is why they won't. Ever. Get over it.

You're completely missing my point. I don't care about SoJ or SoA. I'm talking about an English patch being made by the community. I'm well aware that SoJ doesn't give two craps about anyone outside of Japan, but there's a dedicated group of fans that will keep working on it.

I also highly doubt that the devs would implement an entirely new encryption once ICE is broken just to foil the people making a translation patch. If they can't even be bothered to keep various versions of their own game up to date (which is their MO), they won't bother with striking down a harmless translation patch.

Galax
Jul 19, 2012, 09:50 PM
Zipzo, while I see where you're coming from, unless you're a seer? You don't know that. So, instead of being so assertive that you know something you can't, let us who would hope and speculate, hope and speculate, mmkay?

Zipzo
Jul 19, 2012, 10:07 PM
ZIPZO IS ALWAYS SO CERTAIN ABOUT HIS SPECULATION.

I don't think they will either, but the language setting is obviously there for a reason.Other nearby or asian countries.

For example we're being paired up with EU (not even close to us geographically). Japan has yet to pair themselves with anyone, but they have talked about Korea a little bit. That's likely the only reason the setting exists, in the likely event they will open up their server to another region.

That region will not be us. Why? Simple. We're getting our own. The end.

Zipzo, while I see where you're coming from, unless you're a seer? You don't know that. So, instead of being so assertive that you know something you can't, let us who would hope and speculate, hope and speculate, mmkay?No. That's all this board ever seems to do these days. "Hope" won't get you a cup of coffee, and speculation should be reserved for logical inquiries/assertions. I'm tired of seeing endless discussions of what ifs, and maybes. The game is out. Can we discuss what is right before us, and/or what we are positive is on the horizon, not events that have less than a .001% chance of happening? We're wasting PSO-W's bandwith.

ZcRaider
Jul 19, 2012, 11:20 PM
You know i keep seeing posts like this. I thought we were not suppose to talk about such things here >.>

Well since the can of worms has been opend once again.... <.<

Question: >.<

Wouldnt a "patch" that alters the games code, even just for exchanging letters....

BE CONSIDERED AS A BREACH OF THE "EULA"? <---------

Which in turn, if found by "Game Guard" either instantly or over a perioud of time.....

Would result in the BAN HAMMER? :bash:

And...assuming these "patch" coders are smart enough to avoid all that..... :trout:

Wouldnt the patch be rendered ineffective once Sega deploys its own "Patch" with every drop of content / maintence. :twak:

Japanese = Flawless Victory Much? :quickdraw:

Man....Logic can be such a bummer some times...

Galax
Jul 19, 2012, 11:33 PM
Other nearby or asian countries.

For example we're being paired up with EU (not even close to us geographically). Japan has yet to pair themselves with anyone, but they have talked about Korea a little bit. That's likely the only reason the setting exists, in the likely event they will open up their server to another region.

That region will not be us. Why? Simple. We're getting our own. The end.
No. That's all this board ever seems to do these days. "Hope" won't get you a cup of coffee, and speculation should be reserved for logical inquiries/assertions. I'm tired of seeing endless discussions of what ifs, and maybes. The game is out. Can we discuss what is right before us, and/or what we are positive is on the horizon, not events that have less than a .001% chance of happening? We're wasting PSO-W's bandwith.

No, hope won't get you a cup of coffee, but sometimes you don't need that cup of coffee while you do need some hope. If you are tired of seeing endless discussion of what ifs, then you should probably go somewhere else and see if you have better luck - because this is a community board, and we're going to talk about the what ifs and the maybes, because some people LIKE talking about that. If you don't like it, don't participate in those topics. I, for one, don't mind those topics, and I will occasionally participate in them. Considering that this particular section of the forums is for General PSO2 chatter, then would it not follow suit that something as general as a what if goes here? Provided that what if relates to PSO2, it fits the bill, and thus people are going to post about them it. It's not something one guy who doesn't like it can stop - If you want an idea of a real waste of PSOW's bandwidth, it's this debate, argument, discussion, whatever between you and I and anyone else who wishes to argue the point. It loosely relates to PSO2, so why are we bothering to debate it in here, a piece of the forums for PSO2, not the merits and uses of what ifs and maybes?

Zipzo
Jul 19, 2012, 11:40 PM
No, hope won't get you a cup of coffee, but sometimes you don't need that cup of coffee while you do need some hope. If you are tired of seeing endless discussion of what ifs, then you should probably go somewhere else and see if you have better luck - because this is a community board, and we're going to talk about the what ifs and the maybes, because some people LIKE talking about that. If you don't like it, don't participate in those topics. I, for one, don't mind those topics, and I will occasionally participate in them. Considering that this particular section of the forums is for General PSO2 chatter, then would it not follow suit that something as general as a what if goes here? Provided that what if relates to PSO2, it fits the bill, and thus people are going to post about them it. It's not something one guy who doesn't like it can stop - If you want an idea of a real waste of PSOW's bandwidth, it's this debate, argument, discussion, whatever between you and I and anyone else who wishes to argue the point. It loosely relates to PSO2, so why are we bothering to debate it in here, a piece of the forums for PSO2, not the merits and uses of what ifs and maybes?
Yeah, I might just steer my attention to a different website if it was actually something that bothered me. I tire of it, but that doesn't make it any less fun getting to respond to it, and make my opinion heard on how stupid (I think) it all is.

Therefore your "If you don't like it, leave" logic doesn't really apply. I do like it. I like disagreeing with its existence. Quite an unimpressive, old hat retort anyhow.

Threads like these...

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198564
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198551

...are threads that are deserving of the inch of space they take up on the front page. They are interesting topics, of which contain interesting and insightful observations regarding the new game we all play. Unlike the rubbish that gets tossed around in the umpteenth-million "WILL THERE BE AN ENGLISH PATCH, Y/N AND Y?" thread.

Galax
Jul 19, 2012, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I might just steer my attention to a different website if it was actually something that bothered me. I tire of it, but that doesn't make it any less fun getting to respond to it, and make my opinion heard on how stupid (I think) it all is.

Therefore your "If you don't like it, leave" logic doesn't really apply. I do like it. I like disagreeing with its existence. Quite an unimpressive, old hat retort anyhow.

Threads like these...

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198564
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198551

...are threads that are deserving of the inch of space they take up on the front page. They are interesting topics, of which contain interesting and insightful observations regarding the new game we all play. Unlike the rubbish that gets tossed around in the umpteenth-million "WILL THERE BE AN ENGLISH PATCH, Y/N AND Y?" thread.

I'd agree that they waste space if I'd have yet to see more than one or two on the first page of PSO2 General to date. As it is, this is the only one on page 1 right now, and BECAUSE it's here anyone who knows how to read has no reason to post another one until it gets inactive and sent to page 2, 3 or further. Even then, it's not as if every time it isn't instantly in sight someone is going to say "OH MY GOD THERE IS NO TOPIC ABOUT THE POTENTIAL OF A PATCH I MUST FIX THIS AND POST ONE!!!". I gave the advice "if you don't like it, don't look at it" because it's tried and true - If it isn't broken, don't fix it. If I misunderstood your intention when you said you tire of these topics, then I apologize - But they're still going to pop up. A post complaining that they're too common and waste space is the real space waster here - If more people were to actively agree, then maybe these topics would get made less, and this wouldn't be an issue at all. Of course, since thus far you're the only one I read actively speaking against these topics...*Shrug*