View Full Version : probles again Y.Y

GeShadow
Jul 19, 2012, 11:08 PM
When i run the game... this error

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/Ge_Shadow/123.jpg

help Pls :(

Metalsnake27
Jul 19, 2012, 11:10 PM
This could be because the servers are down for maintenance...

Taking a guess but I'm not sure.

GeShadow
Jul 19, 2012, 11:11 PM
is in this moment on maintenance?

ScottyMango
Jul 19, 2012, 11:12 PM
Yes, right now is maintenance, but I don't think that's a maintenance related error.

GeShadow
Jul 20, 2012, 01:47 AM
the server still off?

ashley50
Jul 20, 2012, 01:51 AM
the server still off?
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198544

GoldenFalcon
Jul 20, 2012, 06:22 AM
When i run the game... this error

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/Ge_Shadow/123.jpg

help Pls :(

Just gonna say, maybe it was Guild Wars 2's fault, lol

palmtop
Jul 20, 2012, 06:26 AM
I got the same Error, trying to reinstall the Game right now. I tell you if it worked.

E: Well, reinstall made it even more worse. Now i got no Permission to startup the Launscher.

BogusKun
Jul 20, 2012, 06:32 AM
Well it cancelled, but above all that you need the right files anyways.

Zilch
Jul 20, 2012, 06:36 AM
Hum, it seems as if the updater doesn't set proper permissions for the files when they're updated/replaced. So basically your user account doesn't get the rights to run the files. If you're logged in as an account with admin rights this can easily be fixed by opening the properties for the files, going to the "security" tab, then "edit" and then "add". Type in your current user (click the "check name" button to validate, it'll be underscored if you typed the right name) and remember to check the boxes for full access rights after the user is added.

So, right click->properties->security->edit->add user->click check boxes and OK everything.

You may have to repeat this for all the program files in the pso2_bin directory (pso2, pso2launcher.exe, pso2updater, pso2download) and after each step in the patching process. Yeah it's pretty annoying. :<

KuroKanden
Jul 20, 2012, 06:56 AM
If that doesn't work for you, you could simply try downloading these and replacing the old ones within your local folder.

Here’s a link with a working, non permission borked, launcher for those who can’t update the launcher:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2280026/pso2launcher.zip
And here’s a link with a working, non permission borked, PSO2.exe for those who have trouble in this second update step:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2280026/pso2exe.zip

Reiketsu
Jul 20, 2012, 07:17 AM
Hmm... no matter what I do, once I click the Game Start button, the window just disappears and that's it... nothing happens ._.

Zilch
Jul 20, 2012, 07:24 AM
Hmm... no matter what I do, once I click the Game Start button, the window just disappears and that's it... nothing happens ._.

Yeah, to me this was due to the pso2.exe having lost it's file permissions (again) after the update process had completed.

If I'm confusing, here's how you do it: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754344.aspx :D

Ana-Chan
Jul 20, 2012, 07:36 AM
Almost all of the cases where the game doesn't start isn't actually down to the game losing permissions. This is more likely a corrupt pso2.exe being downloaded during the update process or the settings stored in My Documents being bad.

Reiketsu
Jul 20, 2012, 07:43 AM
Yeah, to me this was due to the pso2.exe having lost it's file permissions (again) after the update process had completed.

If I'm confusing, here's how you do it: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754344.aspx :D

Well, I did that, but it still doesn't do anything *sigh*
How does SEGA manage to f-up things over and over again? u_u"
Do I have to be afraid of every update from now on? xD"

darkante
Jul 20, 2012, 07:44 AM
Yeah, figured that much. I just replace the pso exe and all everytime they update now, seems to be fine then.

Kinda wrote it down, lol.

Vyscillius
Jul 20, 2012, 07:54 AM
As for me, I'm getting the same error.
Replaced the updater, got the same error again but could still run the game (even though I have this error with PSO2updater.exe as soon as I finish loading the patch) and at the ID/password screen, I get an error640.

Anyone has an idea atm?

Reiketsu
Jul 20, 2012, 07:55 AM
I finally got at least to the gameguard updater, but now... once again, nothing happens X___x

Ana-Chan
Jul 20, 2012, 07:57 AM
Well, I did that, but it still doesn't do anything *sigh*
How does SEGA manage to f-up things over and over again? u_u"
Do I have to be afraid of every update from now on? xD"

Well, by default the game's executables should have read and execute for the Users group and full control for the Administrators group. This means that every single user will be able to read and execute while every singe administrator can overwrite it and modify security settings. In general, if the security tab of the properties window has both Users and Administrators in it, then permissions is not your problem.
This is the general case for the update problems. There are a few people who are actually having permission problems, but the majority are being thrown off by the error message which is a general "we can't write to the file, please make sure you have permission to write" kind of error message from the launcher and somehow came to the conclusion that this is what pso2.exe is also suffering from.
SEGA themselves are recommending people with problems just reinstall the game. But the the two things I have seen have some kind of success is to first, rename or remove the SEGA directory from (My) Documents. Second is to replace pso2.exe with a known working version. But this update actually showed that the problem is a bit more extensive than was thought since it seems like the same people were having problems with the update.
So right now, try to rename/remove the SEGA directory from (My) Documents, if that doesn't work, go to the directory where you installed pso2, find and then either delete pso2.exe run the launcher and then do a file check (this will redownload pso2.exe, don't worry), or use pso2.exe from one of the .zip files which is currently floating around.

I finally got at least to the gameguard updater, but now... once again, nothing happens X___x

The gameguard updater runs as part of pso2.exe, so this confirms that it is not a permission problem.

Reiketsu
Jul 20, 2012, 08:06 AM
Okay, I can't delete pso2.exe, because it tells me I don't have the necessary rights and when I click on the launcher, only Game Guard appears, checks files and disappears again o__o"

Ana-Chan
Jul 20, 2012, 08:08 AM
Okay, I can't delete pso2.exe, because it tells me I don't have the necessary rights and when I click on the launcher, only Game Guard appears, checks files and disappears again o__o"

Are you using Windows Vista or Windows 7?

Reiketsu
Jul 20, 2012, 08:09 AM
Windows 7 >__<

Leman
Jul 20, 2012, 08:10 AM
Error no.[640]... again, after maintenance. Why the fk patcher didn't patch the fking pso2.exe file , I can't get it. SEGA you failed.

Ana-Chan
Jul 20, 2012, 08:15 AM
Windows 7 >__<

Hmm, for Explorer not to ask if you want to get access to the file is interesting. UAC should kick in at around that time. Are you trying this under an administrator account?

Vyscillius
Jul 20, 2012, 08:18 AM
Error no.[640]... again, after maintenance. Why the fk patcher didn't patch the fking pso2.exe file , I can't get it. SEGA you failed.

I get the same error, so how should we do to fix this? Actually, what is an Error no.640?

Ana-Chan
Jul 20, 2012, 08:19 AM
I get the same error, so how should we do to fix this? Actually, what is an Error no.640?

In the launcher do a file check.

Leman
Jul 20, 2012, 08:26 AM
In the launcher do a file check.

Patcher downloaded new pso2.exe(seems to not be corrupted, has an icon!!) file but now the game won't start... great >.< I think I gonna quit the game because it's so annoying...

Vyscillius
Jul 20, 2012, 08:29 AM
Okay, I decided to do it the rough way, changing rights so I can delete it, deleted it, replaced it with a new working one and it did the trick, like you explained.

Thank you for your advices ana-chan, you have all my gratitude :)

Reiketsu
Jul 20, 2012, 08:29 AM
OMG, I got it to woooooooooooo~rk!! Q_____________Q
Too bad I wasted so much time on this, I don't have any time left to play now xD"
Anyways!! Thaaaanks, Ana-chan! I would've never made it withou you! ;_;

Mynianto
Jul 20, 2012, 08:32 AM
Thank you guys for your guides you saved me from a night of boredom :)

darkante
Jul 20, 2012, 09:39 AM
How do i run as admin on pso2updater?

Ana-Chan
Jul 20, 2012, 09:42 AM
If you are running Windows Vista or newer, then the game does it automatically (there is something in the executable itself which causes Windows to always ask you if you want to do this.) If you are running Windows XP, then just use an administrator account.

darkante
Jul 20, 2012, 09:46 AM
Yeah, im on Windows 7 and it seems like iīm a admin.
But the file just wonīt give me permission so i donīt know what to do.

Ana-Chan
Jul 20, 2012, 09:57 AM
Then if you get the dimmed out version of what is on your monitors at the moment with a window asking "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" with the program name as PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 and stuff. As soon as you press the yes button, it runs with full admin rights.
Anyway, this whole problem isn't a matter of permissions in the general case. Most people are reading the general error message and assuming that it has something to do with the NTFS permissions. To verify this, go to the PSO2 directory, find the files pso2.exe, pso2launcher.exe, pso2updater.exe and pso2download.exe and check for yourself. If you right click on these files in Explorer and go to the security tab, check to see if the all important Users and Administrators groups are there. If they are then this isn't about permissions.
To try and fix this, you can first go to (My) Documents, find the SEGA directory and rename it, then try to run the launcher again. This has helped some. If that doesn't work, find the links to the executables in this thread for the launcer, and replace the files in your pso2 directory with those files.
Of course, in the case that it does happen to be the NTFS permissions, I wrote how to modify them in another thread. I'll find that and link it here soon. But it isn't a general solution. If the permissions are already there, going through it will not fix anything.

Ok, my post is http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2812867&postcount=26 but remember, only do this if you check the permissions and find that the Users and Administrators groups are missing from the list.

darkante
Jul 20, 2012, 10:20 AM
Ok, i tried that method and it seemed like the lock dissapeared but as soon as i update.
The settings on that file seemed to revert again to whatever it was before and got a lock on again. >.>

Edit: Okay now i replaced all pso2 exe, launcher and update with some from the other threads zip.
Seems to be working now, but i canīt login. :S Gets error like 640 and 200 something.

Ana-Chan
Jul 20, 2012, 11:17 AM
Edit: Okay now i replaced all pso2 exe, launcher and update with some from the other threads zip.
Seems to be working now, but i canīt login. :S Gets error like 640 and 200 something.

640 is the client out of date error. Is your version 1.0004.1? It is in the bottom right of the main title screen. If it isn't then the files you got are out of date. (I'm sure there were some up to date ones in this thread.)
Well, I know that http://nyaanyaa.ath.cx/stuff/pso2/pso2.zip are up to date versions.
Oh yea, just a quick question too, do you know what your system locale is set to? (This is Language for Non Unicode Programs). I'm starting to get a bit of an idea as to where the problem may be now.

darkante
Jul 20, 2012, 11:26 AM
Language? I got Swedish, but i got the game working now.
Although i had too change the rights on the PSO2 file this time while having the launcher on and then updating from there on the third blue button.

But yeah, i could use a better solution

Ana-Chan
Jul 20, 2012, 12:08 PM
I'm actually starting to see a pattern in this. The people who seem to be having the most problems are the mainland Europeans where the alphabets contain accented latin characters (or maybe Latin America). While the game is mainly Unicode, the updater itself uses the non Unicode versions of the functions to deal with security and such.
Of course, the only real solution that I could suggest right now involves changing the system locale to either English or Japanese right now.

Arios
Jul 20, 2012, 01:01 PM
I'm actually starting to see a pattern in this. The people who seem to be having the most problems are the mainland Europeans where the alphabets contain accented latin characters (or maybe Latin America). While the game is mainly Unicode, the updater itself uses the non Unicode versions of the functions to deal with security and such.
Of course, the only real solution that I could suggest right now involves changing the system locale to either English or Japanese right now.

It really makes sense indeed, i'm from Brazil and i'm having this problem too. Solved it using DarK-SuN's patched .exe, but in the future i'm going to try changing the system locale and see how it goes.

Very nice observation, Ana-Chan =D.

darkante
Jul 21, 2012, 02:30 AM
Hmm, if that's the problem then i don't mind the english switch.