PDA

View Full Version : Katana Lovers Unite!

RocSage
Jul 20, 2012, 03:36 AM
So Agito is back! ...probably

If you look in these icons found data mined...
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9259868/pso2_final_largeicons.rar
... you'll find a Katana.

And Zig says...

AP 238/2/28
Zig: What's wrong with you. Did you come to laugh at me?
Zig: Laugh all you want. This swordsmith, 75 years old is all withered up.
Zig: I can't get passionate. What used to flow so naturally, recently I haven't had a creative spark.
Zig: The deciding battle 40 years ago made my heart quiver. The great battle 10 years ago did too. For some reason fighting brings the best out of me.
Zig: BUt after the war, things have calmed down. My passion has grown cold.
Zig: I still have the desire to craft weapons, but I don't want to make anything half-assed. This is my pride as a craftsman.
Zig: ... sorry to ramble on like that. It's easy to talk to you.
Zig: So to make something of my rambling, if you can find something to peak my interest, please bring it to me.
Zig: Yeah, something that will fill me with inspiration.

Anyone who has played PSO will note the story implications here that are a call back to how to get Agito.

So now let us all be tasked with finding this righteous blade!

Aewyn
Jul 20, 2012, 03:38 AM
This always bugs me, so sorry for the correction.

Pique. Pique my interest.

And with that I'll say that a katana would be rad. Might make me think about doing Hunter.

Eyce_Theon
Jul 20, 2012, 03:40 AM
If you're referring to this,

http://p2o.wikkii.net/images/1/1d/Ui_item_1010026.png

It's Yonohate In from PSZ. Yonohate Fu's picture is also around; Fu is Yonohate In, except it's sealed in some futuristic box to seal its power.

Fu's picture:
http://p2o.wikkii.net/images/3/3b/Ui_item_1010025.png

Aewyn
Jul 20, 2012, 03:42 AM
That second link 404s.

Hup, you fixed it. :U

Eyce_Theon
Jul 20, 2012, 03:43 AM
Took me about a million edits, but fixed it.

Aewyn
Yeah I kept F5ing to watch your edits, lol.

Sp-24
Oh, they are bringing Akatsuki and Yonohate back?

Wonder if I'll find the In swords in PSO2, 'cause I still haven't stumbled upon one in PSZ. :D The Fu versions look cooler anyway, though.

RocSage
Jul 20, 2012, 03:45 AM
booo. Don't try to ruin this for me!

My sleep has already been ruined by me solving a problem that the world is starting to have that will be a big deal and if i could patent i would be incredibly rich but i don't have the technical expertise to do it so I cant so my excitement went from yay to this blows 3 times in the last hours v.v So i say It is Agito punk!

Micro
Jul 20, 2012, 03:46 AM
Nice to see Katanas are returning. :wacko:

Hosaka
Jul 20, 2012, 03:46 AM
If you're referring to this,

http://p2o.wikkii.net/images/1/1d/Ui_item_1010026.png

It's Yonohate In from PSZ. Yonohate Fu's picture is also around; Fu is Yonohate In, except it's sealed in some futuristic box to seal its power.

Fu's picture:
http://p2o.wikkii.net/images/3/3b/Ui_item_1010025.png

TAKE ALL MY MONEY, etc.

Sp-24
Jul 20, 2012, 03:47 AM
Aka/Yono were generic swords in PSZ, so it's not really katanas, no.

SolRiver
Jul 20, 2012, 03:47 AM
Not a japanese game without katana ^^;

banhmy112
Jul 20, 2012, 03:48 AM
That katana is in GS category isnt it? Was hoping for katana style instead, since GS are slow and I hate that.
Anw, nice pics.

IAmSecretSpy
Jul 20, 2012, 03:49 AM
We need a Katana Gun Slash!

Sp-24
Jul 20, 2012, 03:49 AM
Lavis Cannon should be a Gunblade.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 20, 2012, 03:51 AM
i personally dig the buster sword that looks like it has red caution words all over it.

Eyce_Theon
Jul 20, 2012, 03:53 AM
I was excited to find out Yonohate was back! But, since nobody I play PSO2 with currently has ever played PSZ, it's hard being the only one to appreciate Z's contributions.

So many references wasted on my friends...

Sp-24
Jul 20, 2012, 03:54 AM
i personally dig the buster sword that looks like it has red caution words all over it.

"Caution", lol. They definitely should do that, sure beats all those fishes, extinguishers, tampons and who knows what else they are shoving into the game right now.

And I am also glad that Sega sticks with PSZ, because it had some really nice weapon designs. Even their names were awesome.

Aeris
Jul 20, 2012, 03:59 AM
That sword was way too rare in PSZ, takes forever to even get one since it drops off rare enemies and i only gotten those rare mobs like 1-2 times in about hundreds of runs lol, nice that it is comming back on PSO2.

gigawuts
Jul 20, 2012, 04:01 AM
Damn that sword looks neat, I just hope they add a proper katana weapon type.

I hope for all of these super unique rares they pre-equip them with some kind of bonused PA so they do something besides...less damage than the next update's rares. That weapon looks awesome, but I'd hate for it to just get phased out by the new 5* weapons in efficiency and just become a novelty weapon.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 20, 2012, 06:13 AM
Damn that sword looks neat, I just hope they add a proper katana weapon type.

I hope for all of these super unique rares they pre-equip them with some kind of bonused PA so they do something besides...less damage than the next update's rares. That weapon looks awesome, but I'd hate for it to just get phased out by the new 5* weapons in efficiency and just become a novelty weapon.

6* weapons are gonna be balls
I personally can't wait for them

Lostbob117
Jul 20, 2012, 06:20 AM
I hope they are really good either so I would still use them also who's gonna play the game with cool weapons get them to +10 and not worry about more atk power? Cause I am.

eharima
Jul 20, 2012, 06:57 AM
TJS or gtfo.

Sp-24
Jul 20, 2012, 07:00 AM
Boo. Akatsuki's seal is much cooler.

Blastifyys
Jul 20, 2012, 07:47 AM
if that's coming im going to hunter

Fox2Tails
Jul 20, 2012, 09:48 AM
TJS or gtfo.

This.

Aeris
Jul 20, 2012, 12:54 PM
Pretty much i had a reason for leveling hunter for now which i capped at that too since i was HUneweral on PSO

gigawuts
Jul 20, 2012, 01:57 PM
I hope they are really good either so I would still use them also who's gonna play the game with cool weapons get them to +10 and not worry about more atk power? Cause I am.

Oh man, I'm so with you. I'm stocking up on my favorite weapons and going for +9, then +10 when I have a few more million meseta.

Still, there are people who will want nothing to do with you for doing anything less than +10 grind 50% element top damage sword in the entire game. Ordinarily I wouldn't be bothered, but MPA's change that up.

But hey, my signo blade, soul eater, and eventually last survivor (to be replaced by this glorious weapon, if it's a sword) are here to stay so everyone else can just live w/ it.

Drifting Fable
Jul 20, 2012, 04:17 PM
Oh boy, happy katanas are coming, but will this just mean that they're going to have the Sword animations?

Though I have to say this games version of Sword animations are pretty speedy as they are, so maybe it will work. :|

kudo
Jul 21, 2012, 12:19 AM
Oh boy, happy katanas are coming, but will this just mean that they're going to have the Sword animations?

Though I have to say this games version of Sword animations are pretty speedy as they are, so maybe it will work. :|

They're speedy? o_O I was just telling people that I liked swords because they hit hard while being slow and controllable xD

Drifting Fable
Jul 21, 2012, 08:36 AM
They're speedy? o_O I was just telling people that I liked swords because they hit hard while being slow and controllable xD

In comparison with the previous games, yes. Swords are faster than they've ever been.

Well....maybe a fighmaster swordsman is still faster than what we got.

Fox2Tails
Jul 21, 2012, 08:49 AM
Compared to PSP2i's?

gigawuts
Jul 21, 2012, 01:08 PM
In comparison with the previous games, yes. Swords are faster than they've ever been.

Well....maybe a fighmaster swordsman is still faster than what we got.

Are you counting PA's, or...? Because the swords seem slower but less demobilizing than PSO1 swords. I don't remember PSU or PSZ swords. In fact, I should just make a hunter on PSZ already.

Sp-24
Jul 21, 2012, 02:15 PM
Are you counting PA's, or...? Because the swords seem slower but less demobilizing than PSO1 swords. I don't remember PSU or PSZ swords. In fact, I should just make a hunter on PSZ already.

Just grab a Hocho and you are all set.

Which reminds me, Hocho would also make a better PSO2 weapon than that tuna sword.

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 21, 2012, 02:25 PM
Katana

http://i.imgur.com/p8W03.gif

BWS-1
Jul 21, 2012, 02:30 PM
I'd be down for one of those Akatsuki Fu/In! Or just an Orotiagito (though that might not happen... since that's ''saber'' type and it would mean ''being a GS without the option to shoot'') or the more conservative ''Tsumikiri J-Sword''.

Sp-24
Jul 21, 2012, 02:35 PM
That's Yonohate. :)

And it really sucks that they will probably become generic swords. Yonohate can manage, but Akatsuki and Tsumikiri had some distinguishing features.

gigawuts
Jul 21, 2012, 03:14 PM
I'd be down for one of those Akatsuki Fu/In! Or just an Orotiagito (though that might not happen... since that's ''saber'' type and it would mean ''being a GS without the option to shoot'') or the more conservative ''Tsumikiri J-Sword''.

I will make the Orotiagito good and unique at the same time.

Make it a sword and have it pre-equip Speed Rain in all 3 slots, able to be overwritten or reset just like rod melee. Yes, a sword with a partisan PA. I'm sure the animations will be just fine.

There. Unique weapon that has long term applications and is generally unique, if situational.

AC9breaker
Jul 21, 2012, 03:58 PM
Looks like PSO2's version of the Sealed J Sword. I remember there was no way to legitly unlock it on PSO ep 1 and 2

Fox2Tails
Jul 21, 2012, 05:10 PM
Looks like PSO2's version of the Sealed J Sword. I remember there was no way to legitly unlock it on PSO ep 1 and 2
J-Sword? You could legitly unseal it

Sp-24
Jul 22, 2012, 12:43 AM

This is Yonohate Fu and Yonohate In from PSZ.

Kion
Jul 22, 2012, 01:25 AM
BTW more info (i think you skipped over this post)

AP 238/3/1
Patty: Patty from the Arks Number 1 information bureau. Todays we are also in business.
Tia: And who couldn't get their hands on any decent information?
Patty: I don't look back on the past.
Patty: But i did get friendly with an old man in the lobby area.
Patty: He made a lot of weapons in the past. Pretty amazing right?
Tia: That's probably the famous blacksmith Zigg.
Tia: You call yourself an information seller and you don't even know that?
Patty: Who freaking cares?
Tia: What ever.
Tia: 40 years ago he was a stern weapons maker, but recently he's let go of himself.
Tia: But it's said that the weapons he did make are supposedly the genesis.
Patty: Genesis? You mean like the firts swords he made or something?
Tia: Exactly. Disregarding any thought of making a profit, he made an overpowered prototype that one one could use. Tuning that design is what all our current weapons are based off of.
Patty: SO the old guy I ran into is that amazing of a person?
Tia: That's not who you ran into. You should listen to what other people say occasionally.
Patty: Who cares. Anyways, it was good to hear right?
Patty: If he's that amazing then maybe I should get him to make a weapon for me.
Tia: That's why I said he doesn't have the motivation anymore.

Arika
Jul 22, 2012, 01:34 AM
So they are going to separate Great Sword and Katana into different category like what Monster Hunter does? oh well... I kind of prefer more variety than this. If they could make Axe into same category with Great Sword, might as well put katana on the same, so they can add more variety category.. :/

gigawuts
Jul 22, 2012, 01:35 AM
I was more thinking they were going to separate sword and katana like PSO1 did.

Sp-24
Jul 22, 2012, 01:55 AM
I was thinking they weren't going to do anything about the weapon types. It's just a sword, after all.

supersonix9
Jul 22, 2012, 01:57 AM
Agito. Best weapon.

KrankItVZ
Jul 22, 2012, 10:06 AM
Agito. Best weapon.

+1, if we are talking about the same thing that is

I honestly dont think they should add another sword type weapon as it'll be a weapon type in between a sword and partison.

In comparison to MH (yes im a big fan, must bring it up) the sword is faster than the great sword and is around the same speed as the long sword. If they were to implement a katana type weapon it would then be faster than the current sword and slower than the partison. Essentially a decreased attack and increase in speed, thus I think will become retardedly OP unless it has crap PAs.

Sp-24
Jul 22, 2012, 11:15 AM
If they were to add another sword weapon type, it should be saber. Normal katana swords could go to saber category, while big-ass ones like Yonohate here would go into the sword category.

KrankItVZ
Jul 22, 2012, 12:34 PM
SnS anyone? (Sword and Shield)

Sp-24
Jul 22, 2012, 12:35 PM
Would be very nice, but I'm not holding my breath for that one. They did make an appearance in MH, though, so who knows.

gigawuts
Jul 22, 2012, 03:49 PM
+1, if we are talking about the same thing that is

I honestly dont think they should add another sword type weapon as it'll be a weapon type in between a sword and partison.

In comparison to MH (yes im a big fan, must bring it up) the sword is faster than the great sword and is around the same speed as the long sword. If they were to implement a katana type weapon it would then be faster than the current sword and slower than the partison. Essentially a decreased attack and increase in speed, thus I think will become retardedly OP unless it has crap PAs.

Well, the katana type I'm imagining would be less like a partisan and more like a gunslash with less hectic PA's and no shooting. It would probably function as a hybrid between the GS and the sword.

I only mention speed rain because...
(Skip to 13 minutes in, this is what we mean when we say we miss unique weapon abilities - this is one of only two melee weapons that had a function like this)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNt7pFPEqho

Sp-24
Jul 22, 2012, 07:30 PM
It's not like there is so many different generic Japanese swords to warrant a separate class. On the other hand, There are things like Lavis Kanon waiting to be added somewhere. Plus, Sega likes to reference PSZ, and it has awesome stuff like Luzparias and Stormer in the saber category.

gigawuts
Jul 22, 2012, 07:33 PM
Or they could, like, do both, like they have in the past.

Sp-24
Jul 22, 2012, 07:39 PM
That would make way too many weapon types for no good reason, IMO. How many differences can two speedy swords have, anyway?

They are adding both daggers and knuckles, though, so who knows.

gigawuts
Jul 22, 2012, 07:41 PM
Well exactly. It's a matter of preference. Person A might hate knuckles but love daggers, and v.v.

I have no idea why you would be arguing with something that has already been done to high success in both preceding games. It's like arguing that the world has too many kinds of cars so why would anyone ever make another kind?

Sp-24
Jul 22, 2012, 07:57 PM
Arguing about what, again? Katana was a separate weapon type in one game: PSO. And it was just a slow saber there. PSU, PSZ and PSP didn't have katana swords as anything other than extra weapons in saber, twin sabers and sword categories.

gigawuts
Jul 22, 2012, 08:06 PM
Sorry, disagreement.

Saying they have to be the same is unfair, though. There's always a way to make something unique. Sabers could be, I don't know, mobility-oriented, with lots of PA's moving you right up to a target, whereas katanas could have PA's meant for up-close-and-personal attacks with a helping of high damage slashes. The same way the 3 existing weapons have PA's that are all very functionally different - wired lances grab, partisans are for wider areas, and swords are for just all-out hammering a target.

Really, having similar shapes is by no means a limiter. There's always a way to give something a unique ability.

Sp-24
Jul 22, 2012, 08:23 PM
I'm only saying that they should belong to the same type because I'm not sure that Sega can pull off a whole bunch of unique weapon types in the first place. Though they may not even be trying to, seeing that they are adding a wand to existing rod, I guess.

Special effects, like Tsumikiri's or Lavis' wave attacks would make a lot more difference that attack animations anyway, but, if Soul Eater is of any indication, it is not happening. Which is a shame, because I'd love to see a Vjaya in PSO2.

And, well, I'm not a fan of katanas in the first place. =/

supersonix9
Jul 22, 2012, 08:54 PM
SnS anyone? (Sword and Shield)

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Jim
Mar 18, 2013, 03:39 PM
If they were to add another sword weapon type, it should be saber. Normal katana swords could go to saber category, while big-ass ones like Yonohate here would go into the sword category.

This.

Blackheart521
Mar 18, 2013, 04:14 PM
Sorry, disagreement.

Saying they have to be the same is unfair, though. There's always a way to make something unique. Sabers could be, I don't know, mobility-oriented, with lots of PA's moving you right up to a target, whereas katanas could have PA's meant for up-close-and-personal attacks with a helping of high damage slashes. The same way the 3 existing weapons have PA's that are all very functionally different - wired lances grab, partisans are for wider areas, and swords are for just all-out hammering a target.

Really, having similar shapes is by no means a limiter. There's always a way to give something a unique ability.

That also brings up the problem of balance as well... there are three weapon types for Fighter for example, yet the main one being used right now is DS because it's "role" is usable in many situations. Trying to find a place for even more unique roles in weapon types could end up just muddying the waters even more.

If SEGA could pull off actually balancing weapon types and classes correctly I'd be all for more weapon types, but I'd really like to see them make fixes before making additions. ^^;

Edit: Didn't even notice this was a necro'd thread, whoops

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 18, 2013, 04:39 PM
seriously? we necroed this?

gigawuts
Mar 18, 2013, 04:40 PM
we've had another katana thread since this one and everything

Alisha
Mar 18, 2013, 05:05 PM
This.

or they could just make them wands and give them pa's
two birds one stone.

Kilich
Mar 18, 2013, 05:18 PM
I remember that a certain site that does datamining and patches found Katana PA01 line in the files, didn't it? So it maybe an actual katana.

Blackheart521
Mar 18, 2013, 05:21 PM
I remember that a certain site that does datamining and patches found Katana PA01 line in the files, didn't it? So it maybe an actual katana.

All of this thread is 6+ months old so... yeah. I just didn't notice it till Sociable pointed it out.

Gama
Mar 18, 2013, 06:28 PM
so its like katana shaped swords, not and actual new weapon class.

bummer.

ShinMaruku
Mar 18, 2013, 06:50 PM
Time to make you salty about these katanas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbQdxGe0sqU
How they should be but won't :E

gigawuts
Mar 18, 2013, 06:59 PM
Time to make you salty about these katanas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbQdxGe0sqU
How they should be but won't :E

Pls put in pso2.

Pls. Exactly this.

This running, this slashing, this energy trailing when you swing it.

Pls.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 18, 2013, 07:08 PM
so its like katana shaped swords, not and actual new weapon class.

bummer.

The thread is a year old before any information on actual katanas was found