PDA

View Full Version : Bleh this is ridiculous

Vintasticvin
Jul 21, 2012, 02:10 PM
Just got a message around 9 in the morning saying the patching is complete and now its repatching @____@ WHat the hell is going on is this a bug in the launcher or something and Im running windows Vista.

Reiketsu
Jul 21, 2012, 02:19 PM
Hmm... my friend has the same problem ^^" Don't know what's wrong, but at least you're not alone(?)... xD"

Vintasticvin
Jul 21, 2012, 02:23 PM
Thats good to lnow and I find it strange the patcher is doing this all of a suddrn...

lostinseganet
Jul 21, 2012, 02:30 PM
Now now you know vista sucksors right :)

Ana-Chan
Jul 21, 2012, 02:43 PM
Just got a message around 9 in the morning saying the patching is complete and now its repatching @____@ WHat the hell is going on is this a bug in the launcher or something and Im running windows Vista.

I want to be sure of one thing, what language is your copy of Windows set to?

Now now you know vista sucksors right :)

This isn't Vista, this has been a problem on 7 too.

Lostbob117
Jul 21, 2012, 02:52 PM
I'm guessing this hasn't been a problem on XP, though it's not the op just saying.

Ana-Chan
Jul 21, 2012, 03:17 PM
I'm guessing this hasn't been a problem on XP, though it's not the op just saying.

We have no idea just yet, and anyway, localised versions of XP were a bit less common, but more prone to these problems.
It is also more likely that the people interested in PSO2 and on here are younger people who care about having the latest and greatest things.
But I've tested this out on English Vista and Japanese Vista along with the fact that English Windows 7 is what I use normally, and I don't have problems.

Daiyousei
Jul 21, 2012, 03:26 PM
I get two patchings one for the launcher and one for the game

Like when I click the game icon, it patches that without going to the main launcher window with thr Game Start button, but instead restarts the launcher when it's done. Second time I click it it goes to the main launcher window and it patches the game after clicking Game Start or File Check.

Lostbob117
Jul 21, 2012, 04:17 PM
We have no idea just yet, and anyway, localised versions of XP were a bit less common, but more prone to these problems.
It is also more likely that the people interested in PSO2 and on here are younger people who care about having the latest and greatest things.
But I've tested this out on English Vista and Japanese Vista along with the fact that English Windows 7 is what I use normally, and I don't have problems.

I hope they know that Windows XP is better than 7 and vista.

Ana-Chan
Jul 21, 2012, 04:31 PM
I hope they know that Windows XP is better than 7 and vista.

Right, better. I could list so many reasons why XP is inferior to 7 but it probably wouldn't help. I still wonder though, how could an operating system that is prone to shatter attacks and other things like that be better than 7.

Lostbob117
Jul 21, 2012, 04:36 PM
Right, better. I could list so many reasons why XP is inferior to 7 but it probably wouldn't help. I still wonder though, how could an operating system that is prone to shatter attacks and other things like that be better than 7.

1)XP takes less ram to use so it can run games faster and run other stuff while gaming with no problem.
2)What do you mean by shatter attacks? I don't understand never happened to me.
Also 7 is weird. I just made my theme like the windows vista to make it look nice.

Vintasticvin
Jul 21, 2012, 04:42 PM
I want to be sure of one thing, what language is your copy of Windows set to?

This isn't Vista, this has been a problem on 7 too.

You what.... I think its still set on english then again before my pc crashed it had no problem without having to switch to japanese.

gigawuts
Jul 21, 2012, 04:43 PM
lol people still cry about the windows 7 ram thing?

yeah that ram issue is huge it uses so much ram, between that and the game I only have 4 gigs of ram to spare

Ana-Chan
Jul 21, 2012, 04:46 PM
1)XP takes less ram to use so it can run games faster and run other stuff while gaming with no problem.
2)What do you mean by shatter attacks? I don't understand never happened to me.
Also 7 is weird. I just made my theme like the windows vista to make it look nice.

7 uses RAM more efficiently though, so 1 is actually more difficult to say whether XP or 7 is faster. Also, with DirectX 10, things are more efficient in the DirectX pipeline, so it is questionable whether games can actually run faster in XP.
For 2, shatter attacks is a way of attacking another process on a system in order to gain more privileges. Because of the way XP was designed this is a lot easier to do. In fact, overall security was tightened with Windows Vista (things like a backdoor for driver installation that some DRM providers used was also fixed). Other improvements was things like ASLR for example.
There was also a lot of stuff added over the course of Windows Vista/7 that is very nice. Things were also put into place to force the recognition of less privileged users and stuff like that too. So if you are using XP just because it uses less RAM, then that idea is flawed to start with.

yeah that ram issue is huge it uses so much ram, between that and the game I only have 4 gigs of ram to spare

Windows 7 keeps more things related to the programs running in memory when you have more RAM available. That is there speed things up. So it eats up more space yes, but it scales. The less RAM you have, the less RAM it uses.

You what.... I think its still set on english then again before my pc crashed it had no problem without having to switch to japanese.

Could you double check what both the UI language and the language for non Unicode programs is set to?

Lostbob117
Jul 21, 2012, 04:47 PM

I'm not crying about I'm pointing out that XP is better for gaming and surfing the web.

7 uses RAM more efficiently though, so 1 is actually more of a difficult thing. Also, with DirectX 10, things are more efficient in the DirectX pipeline, so it is questionable whether games can actually run faster in XP.
For 2, shatter attacks is a way of attacking another process on a system in order to gain more privileges. Because of the way XP was designed this is a lot easier to do. In fact, overall security was tightened with Windows Vista (things like a backdoor for driver installation that some DRM providers used was also fixed). Things like ASLR for example.
There was also a lot of stuff added over the course of Windows Vista/7 that is very nice. Things were also put into place to force the recognition of less privileged users and stuff like that too. So if you are using XP just because it uses less RAM, then that idea is flawed to start with.

Windows 7 keeps more things related to the programs running in memory when you have more RAM available. That is there speed things up. So it eats up more space yes, but it scales. The less RAM you have, the less RAM it uses.

Nooo, Windows 7 must use something called Viglance to make the taskbar invisible kinda, which uses ram. Which makes games run slower. Plus the other stuff 7 uses. Makes more ram used.

Ana-Chan
Jul 21, 2012, 04:54 PM
Nooo, Windows 7 must use something called Viglance to make the taskbar invisible kinda, which uses ram. Which makes games run slower. Plus the other stuff 7 uses. Makes more ram used.

I don't have vigilance on my system so I have no idea what you are talking about.
But more RAM used doesn't mean slower. The way Windows 7 works is to keep related things in memory. So it is less likely to need to read things from the hard disk. Yes it uses up more RAM, but this speeds things up in general.

Lostbob117
Jul 21, 2012, 05:08 PM
I don't have vigilance on my system so I have no idea what you are talking about.
But more RAM used doesn't mean slower. The way Windows 7 works is to keep related things in memory. So it is less likely to need to read things from the hard disk. Yes it uses up more RAM, but this speeds things up in general.

Cause Viglance is hidden inside the os so you can't delete it. (Trust me if you delete Viglance for windows 7 you won't be able to look at it.) But really have you done research? Some people like 7 more and some like XP more, really. Also I'm done debating with you if you're just gonna repeat yourself.

Vintasticvin
Jul 21, 2012, 05:11 PM
Could you double check what both the UI language and the language for non Unicode programs is set to?

Thats in the language and region tab right?

Ana-Chan
Jul 21, 2012, 05:11 PM
Cause Viglance is hidden inside the os so you can't delete it. (Trust me if you delete Viglance for windows 7 you won't be able to look at it.) But really have you done research? Some people like 7 more and some like XP more, really. Also I'm done debating with you if you're just gonna repeat yourself.

Umm, Viglance isn't hidden inside Windows at all. It is an addon that isn't in the core Also, believe me, I don't need to research anything, this is my profession.
Finally, am I really the one repeating myself? When your reason for disliking Windows 7 has been the same all along?

Thats in the language and region tab right?

Yes it is. UI language should be on the same tab as the keyboard layout. Language for non Unicode programs is on the Administrative (4th) tab.

Reiketsu
Jul 21, 2012, 05:15 PM
Oh God, I have no idea what you guys are talking about xD" I have Windows 7 on my Laptop and XP on my Desktop PC... I kinda refused to upgrade it to Vista or 7, because I have a few programs that just don't work on Vista and 7, anymore >_<

Anyways... my friend is using Vista and her PC is set to German UI/Unicode, just like mine...
So does the 'not patching' issue really have something to do with the system language? o_o

Lostbob117
Jul 21, 2012, 05:18 PM
Umm, Viglance isn't hidden inside Windows at all. It is an addon that isn't in the core Also, believe me, I don't need to research anything, this is my profession.
Finally, am I really the one repeating myself? When your reason for disliking Windows 7 has been the same all along?

Yes it is. UI language should be on the same tab as the keyboard layout. Language for non Unicode programs is on the Administrative (4th) tab.

You haven't even considered what if someone has 1GB of ram, you're so professional . Also yes you are repeating yourself, and I'm not. I'm going to stop posting here now, have whatever os you want doesn't change my mind about XP one bit.

Ana-Chan
Jul 21, 2012, 05:19 PM
Oh God, I have no idea what you guys are talking about xD" I have Windows 7 on my Laptop and XP on my Desktop PC... I kinda refused to upgrade it to Vista or 7, because I have a few programs that just don't work on Vista and 7, anymore >_<

Anyways... my friend is using Vista and her PC is set to German UI/Unicode, just like mine...
So does the 'not patching' issue really have something to do with the system language? o_o

So far I'm still not entirely sure. But this seems to be the biggest link in all of this. The reports of non patching that I have seen seems to vary a bit. But so far, the common link in all of these is when Windows is set to a language that has latin characters with accents.

Lostbob117
Jul 21, 2012, 05:19 PM

No, it doesn't have anything to do with that mine patched just fine, maybe corrupted files in your pso2 folder.

Vintasticvin
Jul 21, 2012, 05:20 PM
Have the keyboards set to japanese and setting the UI to japan as well now

Reiketsu
Jul 21, 2012, 05:21 PM
So far I'm still not entirely sure. But this seems to be the biggest link in all of this. The reports of non patching that I have seen seems to vary a bit. But so far, the common link in all of these is when Windows is set to a language that has latin characters with accents.

Okay, so it might be worth a try setting everything to Japanese and patch then?

Ana-Chan
Jul 21, 2012, 05:23 PM
You haven't even considered what if someone has 1GB of ram, you're so professional . Also yes you are repeating yourself, and I'm not. I'm going to stop posting here now, have whatever os you want doesn't change my mind about XP one bit.

If someone has 1GB of RAM, Windows uses up less. It has been a while since I've last seen 7 installed on a system with only 1GB, but the average RAM usage while idle stays around 33%, and can drop to 25% while under load. This is the same with systems that have higher amounts of RAM. As I did previously mention, the usage scales. So it isn't like I didn't consider it, I just covered it with one generic statement.

Okay, so it might be worth a try setting everything to Japanese and patch then?

English works too. Since English uses Latin characters without accents.

Reiketsu
Jul 21, 2012, 05:26 PM
No, it doesn't have anything to do with that mine patched just fine, maybe corrupted files in your pso2 folder.

Oh dear... this is really getting confusing, but I have to admit... my laptop actually IS set to Japanese. That's because of some Visual Novel I wanted to read, but I forgot to change everything back to German later.
So when I patched the game the laptop was actually set to Japanese.

However, that doesn't change the fact that I had the game installed and patched with German language settings before and had never experienced any problems... at least until the last big update came >__<

English works too. Since English uses Latin characters without accents.

Okay, I'm just going to tell her then. It's not like we have much options left to get the game working for her ^^"

Ana-Chan
Jul 21, 2012, 05:31 PM
Oh dear... this is really getting confusing, but I have to admit... my laptop actually IS set to Japanese. That's because of some Visual Novel I wanted to read, but I forgot to change everything back to German later.
So when I patched the game the laptop was actually set to Japanese.

However, that doesn't change the fact that I had the game installed and patched with German language settings before and had never experienced any problems... at least until the last big update came >__<

*Sigh* No, I won't mention anything about him getting different results. But since your system language is set to German then it may make a difference. The biggest problem is the PSO2 updater uses the wrong functionality for the job. It isn't international friendly. So if it assumes that the system is set to Japanese, tries to use these functions and it actually gets German text then anything that can't be represented by what Japanese versions of Windows gets converted to the ? character. Since the Japanese code page (the list of characters that Windows uses for Japanese applications) doesn't include accented Latin charactes, then not all German text can get converted to what the game assumes succesfully. Hence why at the moment, it is the best shot.
The last big update was what broke everything, since that was when SEGA introduced some functionality that tried to change permissions on files. This is what is not using international friendly methods, and this is what is failing.

It is a troublesome problem as you could guess.

Unfortunately the "it works for me so it works for everyone" line of thought causes a lot of problems. What language is your version of Windows set to?

Well anyway, since there is a few hours spare right now, I'm going to try installing a new instance of Windows with different languages and testing this out.

Arios
Jul 21, 2012, 08:02 PM
Oh gosh, new update...the nightmare begins...:(

Though this time, only the game version will change i think.

Vintasticvin
Jul 21, 2012, 08:08 PM
Oh gosh, new update...the nightmare begins...:(

Though this time, only the game version will change i think.

Yeah its madness :( but we will pull throuvh

Ana-Chan
Jul 21, 2012, 08:24 PM
I'm currently trying out my alternate language theory. I currently have the German version of Windows 7 installing, and so hopefully soon, I can try to install PSO2 and see if it successfully patches.
This is fun for two reasons, first, I don't know German and secondly, all of those updates. I'll be back when I have more news.
Of course, if I can get it to fail then it will be a lot easier, since I can test things out properly.

aduran
Jul 21, 2012, 08:51 PM
there is an issue installing on a fat partition. they recommend to reinstall on a ntfs partition

Arios
Jul 21, 2012, 08:55 PM
there is an issue installing on a fat partition. they recommend to reinstall on a ntfs partition

Wished that was the problem :(. Here on my PC, it's installed on a NTFS partition and i'm still having problems updating...

Ana-Chan
Jul 21, 2012, 08:55 PM

This is actually a different problem. Some people are having trouble patching PSO2 when it is on an NTFS partition. What happens is that the updater either corrupts the file or it messes up the NTFS permissions.

DarK-SuN
Jul 21, 2012, 09:11 PM
For those who are having pso2.exe permission problems with tonight’s patch:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2280026/pso2exe.zip
Same link as before, just updated with the new executable.

Arios
Jul 21, 2012, 09:18 PM

Thank you very much again, DarK-SuN ^^.

Edit: Got into the game =D. Used DarK-SuN's .exe, went to Game Start and a little update was necessary...no problem with it (Server is up...).

Ana-Chan
Jul 21, 2012, 09:34 PM
Hmm, interesting. There is a behaviour change already.

http://nyaanyaa.ath.cx/stuff/img/meh.png

The file pso2updater got a lock on it. This was just after the launcher patched itself, the game hasn't even started updating yet. For some reason, it removed the security entry for Users and replaced it with my user account name.

Also, on top of that, it left some files in (My) Documents\Sega\PhantasyStarOnline2\download. These files are updater files. Hmm.

DarK-SuN
Jul 21, 2012, 09:37 PM
Glad I could help. :)

Reiketsu
Jul 21, 2012, 09:56 PM
I'm currently trying out my alternate language theory. I currently have the German version of Windows 7 installing, and so hopefully soon, I can try to install PSO2 and see if it successfully patches.
This is fun for two reasons, first, I don't know German and secondly, all of those updates. I'll be back when I have more news.
Of course, if I can get it to fail then it will be a lot easier, since I can test things out properly.

Thanks for all the trouble you're going through to help us and figure this out! I really appreciate it, even though I often don't get that 'technobabble' xD"

And thanks to you, too!! ^^