PDA

View Full Version : Sooo I just recently hit lv 40...opinions

Crimera
Jul 21, 2012, 09:24 PM
I just hit max level a few days ago, and find my self not wanting to log in and play as much. It is strange, I went from playing a couple of hours everyday to just... not playing at all sometimes. I'm not used to dropping an RPG cold-turkey like that.

I guess I am just now realizing the type of gamer I am. If I dont get any experience points, it is kinda hard for me to justify fighting anymore... Seeing "EXP FULL" Just kills it. :c

I'm just curious how everyone else sees it. Do you feel the same? Is 40 just the beginning? Explain.

Marly
Jul 21, 2012, 09:26 PM
Yeah, it does feel pretty terrible when you're Level 40 and you're running the free areas to grind money because of all those EXP I'm missing out on.

And to get the new level cap, I'm pretty sure I'll end up running around in the next three areas while collecting 90 items each and constantly get EXP FULL pop up at my face for at least 3-ish hours.

SPOnion
Maybe try to get a 9 star weapon and upgrade it.
It makes you cry and laugh.

Also currently the lv 40 is kind of like lv 60 in D3. The real game has just started.

Brindizer
I hate EXP FULL. I do find it irritating and difficult to find motivation.

I got my Force to level 40, so then I put in some AC and bought another character. Now that one is 40.

I'm slowly starting to bide it. I still have matter board to finish and I would like to finish some client orders.

Kanore
Jul 21, 2012, 09:27 PM
The game died for me when I hit 35 last week. Then Mines came out, and I started playing a bit more and more this week and I'm slightly addicted again. I just hit 40 this afternoon and I still feel like playing.

You just need to take a break. That's how PSO is.

A PSO friend of mine once said, 'you don't quit PSO... you just take long breaks.'

that shit is true man

also i don't feel like leveling ranger or force because i don't feel like leveling ranger and i want to save force for next year's NA release :/

supersonix9
Normal reaction. You hit the content cap.

Anima!
Switch to another class, make your mag max level, and hope on for rare loots ;)

I hit 40 too several days ago, now i'm farming my two other classes and i've hit 20 on it, well it's not the best fun ever but the feeling of awesomeness that you get when you think about the travel and the issues and difficulties experienced make it an interesting way to get throught it all :D

HFlowen
Jul 21, 2012, 09:29 PM
I've been leveling ranger and finding it much more fun than my time as a hunter.

Blackheart521
Jul 21, 2012, 09:32 PM
I've been leveling ranger and finding it much more fun than my time as a hunter.

I have the exact opposite feelings, Hunter is fun and engaging but ranger just falls flat for me, I can only play a few runs as ranger before I get bored, hell sometimes I just do COs as my hunter class and give the XP to my ranger to level it up. ^^;

HFlowen
Jul 21, 2012, 09:42 PM
I have the exact opposite feelings, Hunter is fun and engaging but ranger just falls flat for me, I can only play a few runs as ranger before I get bored, hell sometimes I just do COs as my hunter class and give the XP to my ranger to level it up. ^^;

The grass is always greener. I made two ranger skill trees. One "dps" tree which is typical max out weak point damage and such, the other was "joke" tree where I unlocked all the traps and stun grenades.

I'm playing the joke tree all the time now, flashbanging rappies is too damn fun.

youcantcatchtheblue
Jul 21, 2012, 10:18 PM
Find Rares?

That's basically what's most fun about PSO.

Have you reached Lv.40 on all 3 classes? if not switch to your other classes and level them up too.

Alnet
Jul 21, 2012, 10:29 PM
I've been doing Client Orders and Matterboard stuff, and giving the EXP rewards to other classes. And helping other members of my Team level and do their Matterboards and Orders. So long as I've got other people running around to do stuff with, I don't really care what I'm doing in the game.

Jay6
Jul 21, 2012, 10:38 PM
I find one of the best ways to spend time is to make some Symbol Art. Although it does nothing for your character, having made a kick ass symbol art makes the game seem worth it again.
[SPOILER-BOX]http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/203/5/a/dr__robotnik___pso2_symbol_art_by_jay6_the_canadia n-d587vyo.jpg
http://jay6-the-canadian.deviantart.com/art/Dr-Robotnik-PSO2-Symbol-Art-316135824?q=gallery%3Ajay6-the-canadian&qo=1[/SPOILER-BOX]
[SPOILER-BOX]http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/203/7/5/yoko___pso2_symbol_art_by_jay6_the_canadian-d587xav.jpg
http://jay6-the-canadian.deviantart.com/art/Yoko-PSO2-Symbol-Art-316137559?q=gallery%3Ajay6-the-canadian&qo=0[/SPOILER-BOX]
Maybe also level up your other classes. Try them out some. I don't like letting my good rare weapons for the other classes go to waste.
Or also help out a friend through the game... do your matterboard/client orders... just stuff.

Hosaka
Jul 21, 2012, 10:49 PM
DON'T LEAVE US CRIM D:

Metalsnake27
Jul 21, 2012, 10:57 PM
I'm only level 23 and I already don't play as much, just simply because it's "Oh.. I gotta get on, farm the same mission about 5 times just for this stupid client order" or just grind or whatever. rinse and repeat. (And I know it's going to get much worse)

I'm not playing hours on end, usually get a level and a half a day then take a break. But I still enjoy the game hugely.

goldwing
Jul 21, 2012, 10:57 PM
Help the lower lvls or ppl who r new. Thats wat im doing. I just got my brother to play and im helping him also meeting new ppl while helping

Aeris
Jul 21, 2012, 10:58 PM
Nope, still got matterboard and stuff to grind for hunter and force to go as well, finding many things to do is to keep me from being bored rather than stay on one class at max level.

Ueno54
Jul 21, 2012, 11:28 PM
Happened to me in WoW. I played like a crack addict till cap and the next day lost almost all urge to log in. Recently I hit 30 and just unlocked free tundra, so I'm hoping it won't be the same deal with Pso2 when I cap.

Crimera
Jul 21, 2012, 11:36 PM
DON'T LEAVE US CRIM D:

Don't worry, I wont ;A;

I'm just whining. I could never think of such a thing.

RedRaz0r
Jul 21, 2012, 11:38 PM
Happened to me in WoW. I played like a crack addict till cap and the next day lost almost all urge to log in. Recently I hit 30 and just unlocked free tundra, so I'm hoping it won't be the same deal with Pso2 when I cap.
WoW is much different than PSO, WoW is 90% end game. If you haven't played WoW's end game then you haven't played WoW

Crimera
Jul 21, 2012, 11:42 PM
Find Rares?

That's basically what's most fun about PSO.

Have you reached Lv.40 on all 3 classes? if not switch to your other classes and level them up too.

That is the one thing I hate about MMOs. Rare drops. Granted in this game it isn't so bad. (VIndictus makes me want to slice my wrists :c).... BUt other MMOs make me nervous anytime something has a low drop rate. Plus, I don't exactly need stronger weapons though... :/

About the class thing. Yea, Rangers and Force aren't my thing. I haven't even tried them but I know any class that is ranged is typically not my thing.

I will probably do the matter board quests, but there is little incentive to do that also. This leaves Client Orders which are mainly used for EXP....

We need a new Emergency Arks Quest ! c: I'd play that.

...sigh* :-(

Ueno54
Jul 21, 2012, 11:52 PM
WoW is much different than PSO, WoW is 90% end game. If you haven't played WoW's end game then you haven't played WoW

I did in vanilla, my favorite part about the game was leveling though. End game felt like such a horrible grind and my guild was full of passive aggressive people that never relaxed.

itsbao93
Jul 22, 2012, 01:27 AM
Well, I never played pso or pso 2, but I can say I have played psu. Psu may not entirely be the same, but from what I can see, not too much different. In PSU I maxed at 200 for all four races. What kept me going was friends, collecting rares, making cash stacks, and the big part was the upcoming updates. Though PSU didn't really fair well with most updates, but I really hope PSO2 will do well with frequent updates now that it is free to play and all. This game have waaay more content from PSU had, and I would say already I would find myself occupied long enough. Really, the F2P non subscription is the only thing that worries me, I see many games go down the drain with that course. Then again, F2P is in a high demand, only I hope the cash shop isn't rigged and actually take well in returns for the community.

MysticSerenity
Jul 22, 2012, 01:52 AM
I feel the same way. When I hit the level cap I'm at the point where I'm forcing my self to play. It's not because I miss getting exp, it's because 90 percent of my grind was playing solo. I'd make a room and no one join, also can't join people because they're either in a full multi-party area or in a locked party with npcs.

I just ended up buying another character slot and slowly solo grinding to level cap with that one.....

Kion
Jul 22, 2012, 01:53 AM
Just take a break and relax. There's not much point in running around trying to max out your equipment when more is going to come out later. Play for fun and wait for more content. It's not worth burning yourself out right away.

moeri
Jul 22, 2012, 02:09 AM
I didn't really have this happen, but I am sure it will because right now im mineing the mines for that 9-star rod

wonder how many days ill last

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 22, 2012, 02:10 AM
I can sympathize with you, OP. I hit 40 about a week ago or so and have been signing on less and less as of lately. Sure, I have an alt I can level, but eh *shrugs*. Playing games, no matter what they are, is easy really.

Keep playing until you're not having fun any more. Simple as that. I stopped signing in as often because I wasn't having as much fun on my main any more since I didn't have a goal in mind, per se, so I just decided not to hop on as much. It wouldn't matter what level I was though.

Once the fun is gone, take a break. Go play something else and come back to it when you feel like it. No need to force it.

It's not going anywhere.

gigawuts
Jul 22, 2012, 02:26 AM
I know what you mean. I've hit that wall in games myself, but it depends on how you approach the game. I don't really approach PSO2's leveling like I did the original PSO.

Or, rather, I do, but through different channels. Levels increased and I gained an advantage. Now, instead of levels I gain meseta (which has a use besides buying 4 slot armors and charge mechguns now!), which I use to upgrade equipment.

I go looking for rares, and just generally trudge around in environments I find appealing. The tundra and mines tickled that sweet spot for me that the OBT levels just didn't.

Otherwise, if you really liked hunter but find the post-40 lack of progress boring, I'd like to make a recommendation: http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/211420/

It'll be worth every penny, trust me. The only issue is whether your computer can handle it, but if your computer is better than an xbox 360 I think you'll be fine.

sugarFO
Jul 22, 2012, 02:30 AM
I love being at cap. I can hop into a free roam [insert new area here] and farm it for however long I like. Then go back to lobby and sell my finds. If I'm in a good multi I can make around 100k an hour just vending my finds in the dropship shop... though I've been lucky in my ~okay~ rare finds (i.e. worth around 100k each).... IDK, I enjoy it a lot. There's no pressure. ^^

moorebounce
Jul 22, 2012, 02:54 AM
Yeah it's hard to play when you reach the level cap so I have more than one toon. I have a HUcaseal at 40 and my FOmar is currently 31. When my FOmar reaches 40 I'll start playing with my RAcast. My FOmar haven't seen the FULL EXP message yet unlike my HUcaseal has twice already.

tkk13
Jul 22, 2012, 03:00 AM
I love being at cap. I can hop into a free roam [insert new area here] and farm it for however long I like. Then go back to lobby and sell my finds. If I'm in a good multi I can make around 100k an hour just vending my finds in the dropship shop... though I've been lucky in my ~okay~ rare finds (i.e. worth around 100k each).... IDK, I enjoy it a lot. There's no pressure. ^^

+1
basically this is what i'm doing too. inventory full, teleport back to campship, sell the loots, farm again. lvl40 best time to make $$$...:-D

Vashyron
Jul 22, 2012, 04:22 AM
Hit Cap as Both Hunter and Ranger and soon after I suddenly stopped caring to log in for anything other than the daily fun points.

Rare hunting does not interest me, even more so when new content is coming in fast that will likely replace the best equipment out right now real soon. (6* weapons also say Hi.)

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 22, 2012, 04:30 AM
Hit Cap as Both Hunter and Ranger and soon after I suddenly stopped caring to log in for anything other than the daily fun points.

Rare hunting does not interest me, even more so when new content is coming in fast that will likely replace the best equipment out right now real soon. (6* weapons also say Hi.)

i feel like 6 star weapons are going to be things like vita breakers/ vita claymores/ vita calibers. deeper reddish / orange glow would be cool, since that's apparently vita's trademark effect- makes colors darker.

gigawuts
Jul 22, 2012, 04:42 AM

With this mentality you'll never get any rares at all. If that's your thing, that's fine, but I don't know what you'll do with your millions of meseta if not spend it.

itsbao93
Jul 22, 2012, 04:42 AM

I doubt content will be coming as fast as it is now considering it is a f2p.

Vashyron
Jul 22, 2012, 05:11 AM
i feel like 6 star weapons are going to be things like vita breakers/ vita claymores/ vita calibers. deeper reddish / orange glow would be cool, since that's apparently vita's trademark effect- makes colors darker.

Yes and the following trend with them will be exceptinally good despite not being that rare, probably also shoved into the matterboard with good pre-attached affixies.

With this mentality you'll never get any rares at all. If that's your thing, that's fine, but I don't know what you'll do with your millions of meseta if not spend it.

Oh I was never someone who went to do runs for the enjoyment of rare hunting, if a rare dropped cool, otherwise I wouldn't go out of my way to explicitly get specific "X rare." I quickly get annoyed that way.

Though what I will do is spend the Meseta I get to get equipped to the state of "good enough."

I doubt content will be coming as fast as it is now considering it is a f2p.

http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-japan-2012-road-map/

itsbao93
Jul 22, 2012, 05:26 AM
Yes and the following trend with them will be exceptinally good despite not being that rare, probably also shoved into the matterboard with good pre-attached affixies.

Oh I was never someone who went to do runs for the enjoyment of rare hunting, if a rare dropped cool, otherwise I wouldn't go out of my way to explicitly get specific "X rare." I quickly get annoyed that way.

Though what I will do is spend the Meseta I get to get equipped to the state of "good enough."

http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-japan-2012-road-map/
As I said.

Agitated_AT
Jul 22, 2012, 08:45 AM
Everythign except for time attack basically sucks in this game. I have complaine about it before, and people have been starting arguements with me, and end result was that both sides had good points. But yeah now my side of the story is starting to show it's signs of proof.

Basically the free fields have nothing to offer except for grind. They have no challenge to offer, they have no engaging gameplay to offer. There is nothing but boredom.

I play games that don't have grind but keep me hooked just because of the engaging gameplay. Games where you are encouraged to become more powerful with new weapons because of the high challenge. I think alot of you would still be playing at lvl 40 if you couldnt pass everything so easily. You would still want new armors and weapons so you could beat that one dungeon that is hard to get through.

I know of experience because spiral knights is a game with no grind, but with all of the above, and it's awesome

Lostbob117
Jul 22, 2012, 08:51 AM
So, you guys play to just level, or do you play to have fun with the gameplay?

Agitated_AT
Jul 22, 2012, 08:57 AM

There's defenitly fun in the game, but the fun is mostly encouraged and based around gaining experience. That's the problem really. The game should have content where it's hard to get to the end even at level 40 unless you have great skills and equips. There is great satisfaction in that. It will encourage you to join party after party to see if you can do it again, or if you can do it better. You see, the learning curve at normal is great, but the game is not very challenging.

Time attack again, is the best mode in the game because it actually feels like a real level where you have to progress, ala pso1 mode compared to the free missions where it feels there's no merit to be there.

Lostbob117
Jul 22, 2012, 08:59 AM
There's defenitly fun in the game, but the fun is mostly encouraged and based around gaining experience. That's the problem really. The game should have content where it's hard to get to the end even at level 40 unless you have great skills and equips. There is great satisfaction in that. It will encourage you to join party after party to see if you can do it again, or if you can do it better. You see, the learning curve at normal is great, but the game is not very challenging.

Time attack again, is the best mode in the game because it actually feels like a real level where you have to progress, ala pso1 mode compared to the free missions where it feels there's no merit to be there.

Make more accounts = more characters try that or play other classes on same the account.

SaiKo
Jul 22, 2012, 09:22 AM

Honestly, I'd prefer leveling to seem almost trivial and like something in the background you don't have to pay much thought to, but with the design of PSO2, it forces it to be a primary concern and hits you in the face the whole way.

Beyond that though, at a certain point, I do need motivation to play beyond the 'gameplay'; a goal to pursue and aspire to. Otherwise it all feels rather pointless and boring.
In PSO1, that goal was rare collection... In PSO2 though, I've no interest in the rares, and thus leveling was all that was really left. While I don't like how strongly the game forces you to think about your level with content gates and such, at least it offers something to shoot for. With how readily reachable it is though, it kind of leaves you hanging in pretty short order. And with the style of content the game offers (quick, disconnected bursts, generic rooms, etc.), I can't even really lose myself in the world, so it hits even harder.

itsbao93
Jul 22, 2012, 09:54 AM
Everythign except for time attack basically sucks in this game. I have complaine about it before, and people have been starting arguements with me, and end result was that both sides had good points. But yeah now my side of the story is starting to show it's signs of proof.

Basically the free fields have nothing to offer except for grind. They have no challenge to offer, they have no engaging gameplay to offer. There is nothing but boredom.

I play games that don't have grind but keep me hooked just because of the engaging gameplay. Games where you are encouraged to become more powerful with new weapons because of the high challenge. I think alot of you would still be playing at lvl 40 if you couldnt pass everything so easily. You would still want new armors and weapons so you could beat that one dungeon that is hard to get through.

I know of experience because spiral knights is a game with no grind, but with all of the above, and it's awesomeYou just mentioned grinding in your speech. Spiral knights? Yes.

No. Otherwise every RPG would be lame is its about the experience to the next level.

Kazzi
Jul 22, 2012, 10:03 AM
The lack of motivation to play is the reason I chose not to rush to the level cap this time since I knew it would kill my drive to run maps. Though I suppose you could always level another class up? I sometimes play Force to mix things up a little (especially as I keep getting rare FO drops :|)

Kazlan
Jul 22, 2012, 10:11 AM
In PSU I maxed at 200 for all four races.

I thought the level cap in PSU is only up to 180(US) and 190(JP)?

KrankItVZ
Jul 22, 2012, 10:17 AM
Level cap is seriously too low. I've been trying to not level and still hit 33 farming for loot and $$$. I havent even unlocked Tundra yet lol. Well at least it is better than DCUO where you hit the level cap then it literally gear grinding which takes a month to get a set.

Cyclon
Jul 22, 2012, 10:33 AM
Somehow, being level 40 doesn't bother me in the slightest. Hitting 30 right after the level cap went to 40 and still getting EXP FULL hit me pretty hard at that time though. But that's because I wasn't expecting it.

I really never played PSO for exp anyway. My level didn't matter, gameplay did. I guess it'll pretty much be the same with PSO2. Levels were only an illusion of progression in the former anyway(from 110+ onward at least), so it really isn't that different.

For people longing for difficulty, try soloing for a bit. There are some decent challenges in this game if you're alone. I also believe rare farming will become far more interesting as soon as rare monsters will be added to the game.

Agitated_AT
Jul 22, 2012, 10:36 AM
You just mentioned grinding in your speech. Spiral knights? Yes.
Explain yourself

No. Otherwise every RPG would be lame is its about the experience to the next level.Lol, so how does any other game that's not RPG and not based around grinding keep their game interesting? It's challenge and ideas mostly, so think about that. PSO2 doesnt have to be just a game based around grinding. The game has an incredible battle mechanic. They should make great use of it.

Agitated_AT
Jul 22, 2012, 10:41 AM
Honestly, I'd prefer leveling to seem almost trivial and like something in the background you don't have to pay much thought to, but with the design of PSO2, it forces it to be a primary concern and hits you in the face the whole way.

Beyond that though, at a certain point, I do need motivation to play beyond the 'gameplay'; a goal to pursue and aspire to. Otherwise it all feels rather pointless and boring.
In PSO1, that goal was rare collection... In PSO2 though, I've no interest in the rares, and thus leveling was all that was really left. While I don't like how strongly the game forces you to think about your level with content gates and such, at least it offers something to shoot for. With how readily reachable it is though, it kind of leaves you hanging in pretty short order. And with the style of content the game offers (quick, disconnected bursts, generic rooms, etc.), I can't even really lose myself in the world, so it hits even harder.
Yeah see. There is no real encouragment to get rares because they don't change much of the experience, while if the game was really challenging, you would want the greatest weapons. I still have weapons that I obtained 10 levels ago, and still doing fine at all these late environments.

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 22, 2012, 11:01 AM

Fun is subjective, blah blah blah.

Some people play for exp, some play for rares, some play just to use it as a glorified 3D chatroom. We may have different reasons for playing, but it all amounts to the same thing. When it stops being fun, we quit.

Zyrusticae
Jul 22, 2012, 11:12 AM
Really, if "EXP FULL" really grates on your nerves, just start another class/make a new character. Leveling all three classes can keep you going for a looong time (unless you're a NEET, in which case NOTHING will keep you occupied for all that time).

Lostbob117
Jul 22, 2012, 11:48 AM
No, Lv cap in psu for both is 180.

Tenlade
Jul 22, 2012, 11:49 AM
Biggest issue is that there really isn't enough content once you hit the level cap. There are only 2 time attack missions right now, and the matterboard can be filled on the way to getting the level cap.

You could farm rares, but grinding them to be useful is almost painful, and rare armor units will be unequippable if you went for a pure offensive stat build with your mag.

There's client orders, but those arent really content so much as ways to get more xp, which is only useful if yo9u want to raise yet another class to the cap. Again, more stuff you can do on the way on to the cap.

In pso1, psu, and psp2(i), you had a lot of optional quests to do for fun, or get rares, or find stuff for your room. There just isn't enough content for this game yet.

velociti
Jul 22, 2012, 12:55 PM
Don't switch classes, most people who encourage that don't understand what that implies. You only have 1 class to play when you enter a zone, so leveling another character to 40 is a complete waste of 60+ hours. Not to mention all the wasted drops you get on normal mode.
leveling another char up is a waste of time, I don't wanna play hunter or mage. Here's my opinion, stick to 1 class, play it, get better, get better weapons, max the upgrades, make your char stronger via mag/souls/new weapons. Weigh those costs, you could be fixing your main char up with things, or waste time lvling a lvl 5.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 22, 2012, 01:10 PM
stop having fun everyone

ok i will stop :(

KEV1N
Jul 22, 2012, 01:24 PM
stop having fun everyone

http://i.imgur.com/p7wm0.gif

itsbao93
Jul 22, 2012, 01:42 PM
Explain yourself - "Games where you are encouraged to become more powerful with new weapons because of the high challenge."

Lol, so how does any other game that's not RPG and not based around grinding keep their game interesting? It's challenge and ideas mostly, so think about that. PSO2 doesnt have to be just a game based around grinding. The game has an incredible battle mechanic. They should make great use of it.
I'm sorry, let me be more specific. I was actually replying to your first sentence or two about experience. No, this game has yet to have everything done from retail, but until more content, experience is not the only thing that drives people. If you read from the past pages, there are other motives that drive people to play. If it was entirely aimed at leveling junkies, trust me, half of te fun ands player would not be here. For the rest, do realize this still the beta (assuming that is what you have played for now.) there wIll be more content to come.

Vashyron
Jul 22, 2012, 01:48 PM
Don't switch classes, most people who encourage that don't understand what that implies. You only have 1 class to play when you enter a zone, so leveling another character to 40 is a complete waste of 60+ hours. Not to mention all the wasted drops you get on normal mode.
leveling another char up is a waste of time, I don't wanna play hunter or mage. Here's my opinion, stick to 1 class, play it, get better, get better weapons, max the upgrades, make your char stronger via mag/souls/new weapons. Weigh those costs, you could be fixing your main char up with things, or waste time lvling a lvl 5.

Can easily level them solely by doing Client Orders then switching to the class to give them in.

(This does give a reduced leveled reward, but it's still pretty huge for whatever level you are at on your switched class.)

Also there are more things to the enjoyment of the game to me than simply sticking to one class and using all your time to make it the best thing there ever was, especially more when new content with better equipment is coming out at a regular pace.

pikachief
Jul 22, 2012, 01:56 PM

Rare hunting just isn't as exciting as it was back in PSO/PSU. Even playing PSU, a new shotgun would come out (shigga desta for instance). I would find out what mission it dropped in, the enemy that dropped it, then spam that mission and every time I killed a Vandah Merha I would hope it dropped one! I would know other drops and also hope a Gur Bazga or Gudda Skelas.

Why? Cuz they were unique, cool, and the next best thing for me.

In PSO there is no "next best weapon." There are rares that are around the same or weaker than some 2-5* weapons. There are also multiple rares that are very close to each other in attack power. You can find a rappy barrel at lvl 25 that's stronger than the Legacy shot you find at lvl 35. Knowing that it just isn't very exciting finding a legacy shot, knowing you could just add stuff to a different rare to make it better, or that there are better legacy shots than yours.

It's just not interesting because too many rares are similar, making them not very rare and not very special.

EDIT: not that I'm bored about the game, I have fun leveling up, playing different classes, time attack, and mostly running missions to get enough meseta for the next outfit lol. (basically I have fun doing anything that is NOT fighting those mammoths. I HATE fighting those! There are so many sometimes too!)

I just really wish rare's were as exciting as they used to be. Not the norm and I wish they were more impressive than normal weapons. They will in the future though, I'm sure.

Ezodagrom
Jul 22, 2012, 02:43 PM
Rare hunting just isn't as exciting as it was back in PSO/PSU. Even playing PSU, a new shotgun would come out (shigga desta for instance). I would find out what mission it dropped in, the enemy that dropped it, then spam that mission and every time I killed a Vandah Merha I would hope it dropped one! I would know other drops and also hope a Gur Bazga or Gudda Skelas.
When PSU was launched, there were no rares, players couldn't even use any weapons higher than 6* for a couple of months or so (probably there were no weapons higher than 6* during that time too).

Crimera
Jul 22, 2012, 02:57 PM
Wow not one elitist or disrespectful comment yet? O.O

Am I on PSOWORLD?

Thanks all for the supportive advice. I'll hang in there I suppose.

On some of those points: I deliberately stayed away from hunting/buying rares (at least on purpose) because I knew it would make me stronger/or drive me crazy. It would have made things a tiny bit easier than it needed to be. I consider PSO2's difficulty to be perfect right now. I'm not really into that part of MMOs (all the number crunching and countless hours waiting for an item to drop). Then again Ive only ever REALLY played this and Vindictus...In that game you NEED good equipment to even be relevant to the boss's interests.

Another thing that bothers me is that (like another poster said) no one does certain missions. So missions that do still interest me (Time attack, which I have yet to complete) I cant even do them. So now I'm forced to overlook an entire mission...that I like :<

*Cries

I guess I will stack meseta and get ready for the next update.

itsbao93
Jul 22, 2012, 03:25 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure the pso community has a goo majority of mature players. Plus, I really didn't see any edgy lines that could have attracted any flamers. But yes, it is still only beta state, lots more will come.

Cry0
Jul 22, 2012, 03:49 PM
@OP: I am exactly the same like that. I just like the idea of growing. If I cant do that... it kinda kills it for me. That also took a huge bite out of PSU's appeal for me. I' savoring the time till i hit 40 now. Im all like: hey, stop levelling so fast, dammit :P

pikachief
Jul 22, 2012, 03:52 PM
When PSU was launched, there were no rares, players couldn't even use any weapons higher than 6* for a couple of months or so (probably there were no weapons higher than 6* during that time too).

I know that, I was there since beta. Weapons didn't even drop 5*, only 4*. There were 5* boards though. (and actually there were rares as I found a 7* a day before 7*'s were introduced as normal weapons but they were only crea weapons. Crea Doubles also dropped on Fight for Food A and Unsafe Passage A but no one knew that for a long time)

I'm comparing the games from when they did have rares. I'm talking about PSU with rares since PSO2 already has rares. This is also why I'm saying I'm sure it'll change when we get further through the game and our rares will be more like PSU's 10* weapons... at least when they were first released (really rare)

drizzle
Jul 22, 2012, 04:06 PM
PSO is all about RARZ. Levelling up is just a minor inconvenience.

Geistritter
Jul 22, 2012, 04:27 PM
It's a moderate inconvenience with the stupid bullshit they make you do for the "privilege" of being able to level up again.

Coatl
Jul 22, 2012, 11:22 PM
Affixes and grinding rares to +10 is the current end-game.

Reyva
Jul 23, 2012, 12:40 AM
Yeah, game is a total bore at 40. I could be Bill Gates rich in game on all my characters if I continued at 40, but what I did was just level another race / class on another account. So that would be Cast Male Hunter, Newman Female Force, and now Cast Female Ranger. With my Ranger at 27 1/2, its not too long before doomsday (Not like leveling is hard, especially with the city missions).

Eh, my memory in PSU is fuzzy at start, but yeah, PSO2 just ain't got that same kind of "flava" as PSU or PSO did when it comes to hitting level cap (ok, PSO DC, most people who were max lvl cheated lol, PSOBB, I forget) and hunting for rares.

I dunno, I remember after hitting cap in PSU and hunting for those Power Charge units for example and getting them made me feel really good and even though I pulled my hair on the insane amount of runs, I wanted to do it and had a good time.

However, in PSO2 right now, I just don't feel that way. There is no need for me to get a 9 star rare and go from Bill Gates rich to MC Hammer broke. Its quite stupid and I could care less how that rare looks or what people see that I'm sportin.

Kinda like those nabs in PSU with those 10% element Crea doubles along with setting prices for those too high lol. Anyways, damage difference vs gear you can get to +10 is just like the racial stat difference, not big....especially if you factor the weapon's element.

Eh I guess the other thing would be partying. Dunno, used to get buds and budettes to hunt crud together and have a good time taking on missions like Hive and other areas that were hard and no one wanted to do, but the whole partying experience in PSO2 is pretty boring for me at level cap / hunting rares. Rather just go play the 100000000 Chinese MMOs than play PSO2 again with how some of these mindless hunting parties are. Not like the party has to be chatterboxery, its boring either way.

Eh goes back to that one other post where the guy was talking about "reaching a end." And I guess difficulty seeing if you get a full 12 MPA, everyone just ROFL stomps everything. Can ROFL stomp even with just 4 people. No challenge at all and its a total bore. Get more entertainment from my old games than that.

Eh, I'm pretty sure the PSO2 police will come after this post, but whateva. Its not like I'm saying I hate PSO2 and will never play it again. Just that "I ain't feelin it." Its fun until you hit level cap, but I'm pretty sure it will change in the future to its former glory like PSU/PSO. Zzzzz God/Battle++++

Dan Maku
Jul 23, 2012, 01:00 AM
It's best to play the game in short bursts if you're playing alone. Grinding can get old if you're just doing solo.

If you have friends that you regularly team up with and maybe chat over Skype with, I find grinding to be a little less tiresome, that you can go for longer while playing with friends than you ever could alone.

Dinosaur
Jul 23, 2012, 01:04 AM
wall-o-texts

you should probably give yourself a challenge in-game if you think its too easy. EX: not playing as the strongest race/class/gender combos, for one.

condiments
Jul 23, 2012, 02:26 PM
Yeah, this one of the primary reasons I'm putting off playing the game until more zones, difficulty modes, and classes get released. Been playing vidyagames for a long time, and I've come to realize I'm a very goal/challenge oriented gamer. I like to dive into more complex mechanics, try to learn them, and then work within the system of rules/encounters that will test my mettle with the tools given.

Things like atmosphere and story can compel me within the game, but if there isn't another goal or challenge to be overcome I get dis-interested quickly. This can be for story motivations as well, because I usually stop playing games after the main story is finished regardless if there are ancillary things to performed.

kkow
Jul 23, 2012, 04:00 PM
First PSO game for me and I'm already worried...am about to get past these god forsaken 20's lvls and hit 30, and I'm already bored. All the mobs and bosses seem ridiculously easy/boring.

Monster Hunter fan here, 1k+ hours there, and that game was constantly challenging throughout, mobs and bosses alike. Someone please reassure me that PSO2 end game isn't just grinding for loot.........
I'm screwed aren't I?

Sigmund
Jul 23, 2012, 04:03 PM
^ Pretty much!

Agitated_AT
Jul 23, 2012, 05:24 PM
First PSO game for me and I'm already worried...am about to get past these god forsaken 20's lvls and hit 30, and I'm already bored. All the mobs and bosses seem ridiculously easy/boring.

Monster Hunter fan here, 1k+ hours there, and that game was constantly challenging throughout, mobs and bosses alike. Someone please reassure me that PSO2 end game isn't just grinding for loot.........
I'm screwed aren't I?

Well all you could do is hope the japanese players voice this or hope that the devs themselves will be aware of it eventually.

It sucks indeed though...

gigawuts
Jul 23, 2012, 05:41 PM

I'm screwed aren't I?

That's why you're bored. 20-30 is absolutely awful. The game ramps up in tundra and mines to being more engaging than it was in the forest/caves/desert. Just don't start thinking the endgame is about anything besides replaying the same content.

I don't think a single game exists where after a few hundred hours the game is anything but the same content over and over. Everything becomes monotonous by that point - what makes the difference is whether you like it or not. Me, I like PSO2, so I'm good with it.

BogusKun
Jul 23, 2012, 07:30 PM
People don't play as much.

When I hit level 40 it was a very small group. I noticed few of the very few sat in the lobbies flaunting that Lv 40 like it was cool. Then that behavior poured into the newly-crowned Lv40s who thought it was still cool, when the original Lv40 AFKers moved to another class.

Then people got bored. Normally having over 15-20 people on at a time, now I'm noticing only about 4-5 people play this thing. I get on daily, but I will play to level my ranger, and do nothing for my FO until my small team is on so I can enjoy my game with my friends here at home.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 23, 2012, 08:16 PM
hit 40 40 40 and i'm pretty much done with this game. i just afk and magfeed in camp ship/wait for city emergencies cause those are the most profitable.

i'd bet a lot of future content is finished already, or close to being done, but they're trickling it down slowly regardless since that makes more money. as a result pso2 feels pretty lacking to me and many others in terms of content, but that problem will solve itself after enough time passes. it's a question of whether people will keep up with pso2 or not.

definitely more incentive to play besides rare hunting and leveling needs to be added though. i really like city emergencies, that's for sure. city emergencies are pretty much guaranteed leveling.

despite my love for city emergencies, i also feel like it's bad, because it makes me not want to play any other maps. city emergencies are almost always many times better to run than the regular free maps, so i feel like i'm wasting my time (which typically, i am) when i play a regular map.

most likely from now on in pso2, even when level cap increases, i'll just be waiting around for emergency missions and level up that way.

the way i see it, for those patient enough and can't play a lot, city emergency is great. but if you want to keep playing even after city emergency you can. i really wish city emergency was scheduled though. it's really unfortunate that it's random.

as for what i've come to understand about all classes though..
-hunter is the most fun but generally the least helpful in burst parties
-ranger is fantastic against bosses and okay in burst parties
-force is the most helpful overall in all situations. incredibly effective for burst parties. mainly because if you can get a good rhythm of shifta'ing party members, your overall total team dps will be huge. if all 12 players are shifta'd it's like playing with an extra 4 players. making shifta more accessible is probably the best reason to get flame tech charge S. paired with a gunslash to recharge pp, forces are pretty awesome.

my shifta rhythm is generally:
gi foie mid air, 3 just attack gunslash shots
shifta
gi foie mid air, 3 just attack gunslash shots
shifta

i just do this everywhere and it manages to keep everybody shifta'd. my dps doesn't really fall that low either, since i'm still spamming gi foies everywhere.

i definitely think a cross burst party of 12 forces all doing gi foie in city emergency would be the longest lasting burst you'll find. i mainly think this because during bursts it gets so chaotic it's hard to see, so it weakens players efficiency in killing the next target.

but you don't have to target anything when you use gifoie lool

GoldenFalcon
Jul 23, 2012, 08:21 PM
lol guys

> sets up character to do as much damage as possible
> complains that things are too easy

It's as if you want the "bar" to be in the upper atmosphere so only you can reach it, and get the challenge while being at the top of the skybox

gigawuts
Jul 23, 2012, 08:24 PM
The city emergency seems worse than the mines, just saying. Mines drop 3 stars as basically regular vendor stuff, with 2 stars being the low end. I'm finding mag food galore in the mines.

I'm feeling like the game needs something to add some depth or purpose, though. Something like the mopups and massive attacks of old, except instead of adding to your own or your team's score have it contribute to the quality of drops or spawns the next day.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 23, 2012, 08:29 PM
I'm feeling like the game needs something to add some depth or purpose, though. Something like the mopups and massive attacks of old, except instead of adding to your own or your team's score have it contribute to the quality of drops or spawns the next day.

Events like PSU, with community milestones? (Kill 100,000 Darkers on your ship!)
I'm surprised the roadmap doesn't list [major event] on something like Winter

gigawuts
Jul 23, 2012, 08:33 PM
Yeah, er, I missed those. Although I do recall the Yahoo Cup giving out items to everyone if players collectively met milestones. It's been a looong time, so I'm probably suggesting shit that's already been done.

Agitated_AT
Jul 23, 2012, 08:41 PM
lol guys

> sets up character to do as much damage as possible
> complains that things are too easy

It's as if you want the "bar" to be in the upper atmosphere so only you can reach it, and get the challenge while being at the top of the skybox

I think you are missing the point. Setting up your character to do more damage shouldn't make the game piss easy, but more accesable. This way upgrading your character would have more merit to it. Players will be encouraged to get better equips and rares instead of finding them redundant except for cosmetic purposes. This would add to the games replayability to a great degree.

The game starts out with a good learning curve, but I think it gets engaging way too late(for me personally because I don't search for the best equips and haven''t even spent on my skill tree yet since lvl 20, and i'm lvl 32 now)

juhanic
Jul 23, 2012, 09:02 PM
I feel the same way. When I hit the level cap I'm at the point where I'm forcing my self to play. It's not because I miss getting exp, it's because 90 percent of my grind was playing solo. I'd make a room and no one join, also can't join people because they're either in a full multi-party area or in a locked party with npcs.

I just ended up buying another character slot and slowly solo grinding to level cap with that one.....

You should try using the "party recommended" blocks(パーティー推奨), though the ones recommended for your lvl range can work too.

Of course some quests are a lot more popular than others. Soloing the grind sounds boring as hell, I've doing 20-30 mostly in the rappy capture mission and the artifact digging mission, sticking in the multi-party area with a big group.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 23, 2012, 09:18 PM
I think you are missing the point. Setting up your character to do more damage shouldn't make the game piss easy, but more accesable. This way upgrading your character would have more merit to it. Players will be encouraged to get better equips and rares instead of finding them redundant except for cosmetic purposes. This would add to the games replayability to a great degree.

The game starts out with a good learning curve, but I think it gets engaging way too late(for me personally because I don't search for the best equips and haven''t even spent on my skill tree yet since lvl 20, and i'm lvl 32 now)

Well, the scale compared to PSU is a whole lot different
Such as doing 9999 at level 40 when in PSU, doing 9999 at level 170 was an accomplishment
Also, enemies got like over 10,000 hp normally, while the enemies we have are staying at 1500 and not going up, strangely

Agitated_AT
Jul 23, 2012, 09:49 PM
Well, the scale compared to PSU is a whole lot different
Such as doing 9999 at level 40 when in PSU, doing 9999 at level 170 was an accomplishment
Also, enemies got like over 10,000 hp normally, while the enemies we have are staying at 1500 and not going up, strangely

Well yeah.. basically the game has balance issues. But i'm not too familiar with PSU, i'm comparing it more with pso1. I know getting a better weapon and better armor was essential for newer environments.

For example, lvl 20 at ruins wit regular equips was basically impossible without some OP teammate. And that was at normal. Hence people wanted the best equips and getting them was a great achievement

texhnolyze
Jul 24, 2012, 01:33 AM
after reaching the cap, i grind my weapons and unit to +10 and add abilities to them
it may took around a few days doing so
right now, i'm doing new and repeatable client orders to level up my force :D
farming for meseta is also one of my objective (prepare to buy the bikinis)

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 24, 2012, 02:42 AM
The city emergency seems worse than the mines, just saying. Mines drop 3 stars as basically regular vendor stuff, with 2 stars being the low end. I'm finding mag food galore in the mines.

my problem with mines is that although the loot is typically better (if it's compared to lvl 31 hard mode city, lv36 hardmode 500 pt one isn't that far behind)

i find more people are "half-assing" it. a lot of semi-afk'ers that go in and out of battle, sitting there doing nothing for 20 seconds, then fighting again. and some flat out leechers that literally don't do anything for more than 2 minutes at a time and such.

i also haven't had much luck running into those serious "burst parties" where they put a password on and tell you what it is in the comments, since they're usually full and rarely have an opening. i can imagine those may prove to be as good, or better, than hard mode city, since more people are required to be at a higher level, so overall more damage.

then there's also the issue with how in random mines parties, along with being the only type i get the chance to join (i'd really like to join those multiparty passworded ones, really, i would, but i'm not gonna sit there at the counter spamming it open and close to see if an opening shows up)a lot of people bring npcs and sometimes they make up half the 12 man party.

and then you could tell me to simply make my own 12 man passworded multi party mines, but i don't really wanna wait that long, and i doubt that anybody would join a 1/12 passworded multi party. it'd take a while to get the ball rolling, while city emergency is instant.

in city emergencies, you'll always be only with human players, there's typically less chance of people half-assing it, and even random parties that aren't called burst parties and multiparty password their party can get pretty good cross bursts.

city emergency may not be the best, but it's definitely many times more convenient to get a good city emergency 12 man party going than a mines party.

honestly, if i could always get cross bursts every 10 minutes, i wouldn't mind doing normal mode free jungle.

kkow
Jul 24, 2012, 12:41 PM
offtopic but what determines pse/cross burst frequency and length? Just had my first 9 min cross burst. They need more of this, but throw in several bosses too:P the ensuing chaos is what PSO2 seems to do best