PDA

View Full Version : Soloing as a Hunter

Revelation
Jul 22, 2012, 12:40 AM
Hey Everyone

I've clocked about a billion hours into PSOv1, PSU and now PSO2, and am finally making an account here to ask for some advice. If this isn't the right place to ask this sort of question, my mistake and I'll relocate to a better area ^^;

I have a lvl 36 HuCast, and have hit a brick wall when it comes to solo-ing, specifically trying to complete the Tundra free mission. Do any other hunters out there have any suggestions (builds, strategies, anything really) about soloing the Tundra, especially those two bosses, or is it simply not solo-able as a Hunter?

Thanks!

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 22, 2012, 01:08 AM
since it seems like you might not be able to have as much time to practice as you'd like, i recommend stacking as much hp onto your character as possible. that's the easiest solution to making this game easier than it already is.

also use shakuri's above mentioned tips.

try taking a read through my answer to this same question

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2809682&postcount=14

Sigmund
Jul 22, 2012, 01:14 AM
Stack def, laugh at 1 dmg claw swipes, laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_7sRpiI0AU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_7sRpiI0AU
This might help.

gigawuts
Jul 22, 2012, 01:15 AM
Are you guarding and using ranged PA's? If neither, try both.

Also, stick to their sides. The bantha is rough, he can lunge in any direction without any tells. Basically, if he so much as twitches, have your guard up. Soloing is tedious and irritating, and I'd rather play it cautiously and block attacks that don't happen than roll badly and have the RNG throw a no-tell lunge and then triple stomp at me.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 22, 2012, 01:19 AM
Stack def, laugh at 1 dmg claw swipes, laugh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_7sRpiI0AU
This might help.

that video of the russian guy

man

if he wasn't russian i feel like it'd be like 50x less funny

only russians, seriously

it was even funnier because his video kept frame skipping, indicating that his computer was rather

russian

rofl

Mokyu
Jul 22, 2012, 01:19 AM
Snow banther is a tough one.
-Break Claws
-Dat sonic boom PA (w/e its called)
-Sword gear

Profit

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 22, 2012, 01:20 AM
Snow banther is a tough one.
-Break Claws
-Dat sonic boom PA (w/e its called)
-Sword gear

Profit

did you just call it sonic boom

rofl

Crimson Exile
Jul 22, 2012, 01:29 AM
This shows just guard advantage over them. It's only 4mins could've been better but still good though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOQKIvns6qA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOQKIvns6qA

Vyscillius
Jul 22, 2012, 03:58 AM
Then my question is : what if I am a Partizan oriented Hunter (not having Sword Gear) and focusing my gameplay entirely on dash and not having Just Guard. Is it manageable to make it in time or am I gonna have a good challenge?

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 22, 2012, 04:28 AM
Then my question is : what if I am a Partizan oriented Hunter (not having Sword Gear) and focusing my gameplay entirely on dash and not having Just Guard. Is it manageable to make it in time or am I gonna have a good challenge?

you can do it you'll just be constantly attacking his ass all day since you can't easily attack his front. unfortunately there aren't many partisan skills that can dump damage quickly, so you might have a difficult time because as soon as you get to his butt he may do a rear kick but generally he'll spin around. unless it's the king panther. then he'll definitely do a rear kick. he almost always does.

Vyscillius
Jul 22, 2012, 04:52 AM
you can do it you'll just be constantly attacking his ass all day since you can't easily attack his front. unfortunately there aren't many partisan skills that can dump damage quickly, so you might have a difficult time because as soon as you get to his butt he may do a rear kick but generally he'll spin around. unless it's the king panther. then he'll definitely do a rear kick. he almost always does.

Well, the good thing about the Partizan is I can dash cancel with any of my attacks. And since I'm the kind of guy who doesn't know what a Guard button is, it fits me well.
But thanks for the advice, it's gonna be challenging, that's what make it fun :)

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 22, 2012, 04:55 AM
Well, the good thing about the Partizan is I can dash cancel with any of my attacks. And since I'm the kind of guy who doesn't know what a Guard button is, it fits me well.
But thanks for the advice, it's gonna be challenging, that's what make it fun :)

i'm thinking the first half of the partisan kick flip attack (don't do the drill) is gonna be your best bet most of the time, since it seems to do the most damage in the least amount of time. it's not the most pp efficient but it'll probably keep you from getting hit.

maybe bander snatch if you have the time. donno. sword is much better for this fight that's all i can really say.

Vyscillius
Jul 22, 2012, 05:28 AM
i'm thinking the first half of the partisan kick flip attack (don't do the drill) is gonna be your best bet most of the time, since it seems to do the most damage in the least amount of time. it's not the most pp efficient but it'll probably keep you from getting hit.

maybe bander snatch if you have the time. donno. sword is much better for this fight that's all i can really say.

Actually, I was thinking about doing Speed Rain like with most of the Boss I encounter but I wonder how it will turn out.
I guess I made the wrong choice picking the Partizan route on the skill tree haha.

Lostbob117
Jul 22, 2012, 06:19 AM
did you just call it sonic boom

rofl

Sonic Boom is a better name for that pa, Sonic Arrow makes sense to call it that.

Mariodante
Jul 22, 2012, 08:41 AM
OP, as a hunter, I think the BEST skill for hunters, I'd honestly consider it mandatory, is Just Block. If you've never tried Just Block, you really should; it seems to make nothing impossible for Hunters. If you block within about half a second of getting hit, you take no damage, but the enemy takes damage instead. With enough experience you can learn when to block for just about any opponent. Not to mention most of the time this Just Block stops them dead in their tracks if they're doing a combo or moving attack or something of that sort. :D

Crimson Exile
Jul 22, 2012, 09:36 AM
Having a good time with partisan is possible. just depends on the pa's used for the boss you plan on playing. Just don't get partisan gear it's not that great compared to the other 2.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 22, 2012, 09:39 AM
Sonic Boom is a better name for that pa, Sonic Arrow makes sense to call it that.

Sonic Aero

KrankItVZ
Jul 22, 2012, 10:24 AM
Ah dammit seems like I'll be forced to guard now then :(

I've played MH for a while so its no problem for me but I've yet to have even pressed Shift on anything but the Gunslash (I play a hunter 99% of the time). Time to practice now I guess...

Crimson Exile
Jul 22, 2012, 10:48 AM
Ah dammit seems like I'll be forced to guard now then :(

I've played MH for a while so its no problem for me but I've yet to have even pressed Shift on anything but the Gunslash (I play a hunter 99% of the time). Time to practice now I guess...
I'm using a mouse and keyboard in that 4min video I posted. If I can guard most of the moves you should be fine. Just got into computer gaming since march this year. I feel like the more I play the better I get.

Vyscillius
Jul 22, 2012, 11:36 AM
Having a good time with partisan is possible. just depends on the pa's used for the boss you plan on playing. Just don't get partisan gear it's not that great compared to the other 2.

I'm the stubborn and lazy type, I only use Speed Rain for every mobd and bosses since it has quite some range and the damage is not horrible. The drawback would be that I often hit things that are behind the target.

And too late for Partizan gear :nerd: But no problem, I'm on the jp game just to learn, the real deal will be when US/EUR will be released.

KrankItVZ
Jul 22, 2012, 12:30 PM
I'm using a mouse and keyboard in that 4min video I posted. If I can guard most of the moves you should be fine. Just got into computer gaming since march this year. I feel like the more I play the better I get.

Well mouse and keyboard is essentially the most versatile way to play games. I've always been a PC gamer and its my best platform, BUT for games with timing attacks I sorta prefer a controller/ PSP due to Monster Hunters. And yea you can only get better after playing more and more :P

I'm the stubborn and lazy type, I only use Speed Rain for every mobd and bosses since it has quite some range and the damage is not horrible. The drawback would be that I often hit things that are behind the target.

And too late for Partizan gear :nerd: But no problem, I'm on the jp game just to learn, the real deal will be when US/EUR will be released.

If you're going to use Partisan against 1v1 bosses you can skip the gear. You wont have time to charge up the gauge anyways. On the other hand Sword gear dominates as it charges per hit.

Geistritter
Jul 22, 2012, 02:00 PM
Honestly, your problem is that you insist on only doing one thing over and over. There's a variety of weapons and skills for a reason, and you're deliberately crippling yourself by not using the right ones for the right situations.

Revelation
Jul 22, 2012, 02:14 PM
Holy crap that was a lot of responses, Thank you everyone for your input!
From what I gather it's pretty much a question of mastering the timing on Just Guard, and using ranged-oriented PAs such as Speed Rain (for my spec) or Sonic Arrow (for Sword Gear spec). I'll keep working on it :)

Thank you again everyone!

Vyscillius
Jul 22, 2012, 02:27 PM
Honestly, your problem is that you insist on only doing one thing over and over. There's a variety of weapons and skills for a reason, and you're deliberately crippling yourself by not using the right ones for the right situations.

Was that aimed at me?
I specialized myself into one part of the skill tree. That's the point of having a "low lvl cap" to specialize yourself into one branch and be good at it. Now the skill tree I specialized in is not right for this particular situation but good for others.

There's a variety of weapons and skills but what is the point to be moderately good in general when you can be extremely skilled in one area?

I could use a Sword for the Panther/Banshee but what is the point without Sword Gear nor Guard?