PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or is the game moving faster than normal?

The Walrus
Jul 22, 2012, 11:06 PM
I just fought Caterdragon with a friend of mine and for like 2 minutes before that and since (like 2 minutes ago it died and we got back) the game feels like it's moving a little faster than usual. No I don't mean like lag or anything I mean the normal speed the game runs at...like it's off.

Am I just being crazy or has anyone else noticed this?

On ship 10 if that matters at all

Risuo
Jul 22, 2012, 11:08 PM
You are now being assimilated into PSO2 due to an internet virus hellbent on crashing the web. Time to get Data-Draining~

Kuro-Neko
Jul 22, 2012, 11:11 PM
You are now being assimilated into PSO2 due to an internet virus hellbent on crashing the web. Time to get Data-Draining~

Lol, love all the .hack references in this forum xD. In response to the op's question, it seems to be running at it's usual speed.

Dan Maku
Jul 23, 2012, 12:20 AM
We need more Accel World references up in this bitch.

You be Burst Linking.

sugarFO
Jul 23, 2012, 12:27 AM
I know what you are talking about. There's something weird about caves that makes things move at a weird pace sometimes.

ScottyMango
Jul 23, 2012, 03:29 AM
I think you guys are just experiencing differences in framerates depending on the area you're in.

LionHeart-
Jul 23, 2012, 05:09 AM
I know what you mean OP. I felt a bit of it last night. I died and came back to Caves and everything seemed to run at Bliss. It was like I have just taken a caffeine shot and everything was accelerating really nicely that I knew something wasn't right.

Daiyousei
Jul 23, 2012, 05:15 AM
well for me the opposite happens, I guess some boss fights get my adrenaline pumping and I end up seeing things slow down. unless Fraps was lying about the 60 FPS.

ohka
Jul 23, 2012, 05:36 AM
lol couldnt say i lag in tall grass or rain so im almost always lagging

Squall179
Jul 23, 2012, 05:41 AM
The music, the surroundings, can influence psychological states.

I think why some people find caves boring is its music and relatively monochromatic colorscheme causes a trance state of sorts, even if its warm, angry colors, so much of one general color in different shades can still have the same impact as shades of blue, if exposure is long enough. In a sleepy state of mind, time tends to move faster, as your brain actually slows down its processing rate to conserve power.

Thats also why, for others, Caves seems to go on forever, because the angry colors are waking their brain up, so they are processing data at a faster rate, and therefore are processing more sensory data in the same span of time, creating the perception that time is moving slower because we are built with a natural sense for time being a constant, "this much sensory data for each second" standard, so that when the brain is more alert and you are processing faster, you feel time moving slower. SOme are more impacted by monichromatics or almost zen music, and it causes them to be relaxed, others are woken up too much by the angry, hot colors of the place. All of this is going on in the background while you play, with you conciously unaware of it taking place.

Daiyousei, this would be why you see things moving slower, your brain simply picks up its processing speed is all that is happening. Your FPS is the same, its your brain seeing more of its own FPS per minute than you normally do.

ohka
Jul 23, 2012, 05:43 AM
The music, the surroundings, can influence psychological states.

I think why some people find caves boring is its music and relatively monochromatic colorscheme causes a trance state of sorts, even if its warm, angry colors, so much of one general color in different shades can still have the same impact as shades of blue, if exposure is long enough. In a sleepy state of mind, time tends to move faster, as your brain actually slows down its processing rate to conserve power.

Thats also why, for others, Caves seems to go on forever, because the angry colors are waking their brain up, so they are processing data at a faster rate, and therefore are processing more sensory data in the same span of time, creating the perception that time is moving slower because we are built with a natural sense for time being a constant, "this much sensory data for each second" standard, so that when the brain is more alert and you are processing faster, you feel time moving slower. SOme are more impacted by monichromatics or almost zen music, and it causes them to be relaxed, others are woken up too much by the angry, hot colors of the place. All of this is going on in the background while you play, with you conciously unaware of it taking place.

Daiyousei, this would be why you see things moving slower, your brain simply picks up its processing speed is all that is happening. Your FPS is the same, its your brain seeing more of its own FPS per minute than you normally do.

cool idea but i wouldnt say that is always the case.

Risuo
Jul 23, 2012, 05:44 AM
Been meaning to watch all the other MMORPG-esque manga/anime out there. (dot)hack's just the first game I fell madly in love with because of the game-within-a-game thing ^^

Fought a flower-bloom Catedran a while ago, adrenaline kicked in and everything became fluid and I saw the meaning of binary. Well not really, but that would've been awesome. When Lisa let off a Weak Shot into one of its chinese-finger-trap sections and my partisan was doing 1k(definitely saw at least 1 of those in any case :lol:) per hit with Trick Rave I felt like I data-drained the poor bastard.

*Insert Sword Art Online reference here*

Squall179
Jul 23, 2012, 05:48 AM
cool idea but i wouldnt say that is always the case.

In the case of the visuals being exceedingly choppy, no,. it is most certainly not the case. But what I'm talking about has nothng to do with computer lag, and is tied to either feeling tired, or feeling an adrenaline surge.

THis is a good reference, this book excerpt, to explain the concept being brought up

http://books.google.com/books?id=w19X0p5g6TYC&pg=PA153&lpg=PA153&dq=time+perception+in+combat&source=bl&ots=lyndpBrgqU&sig=yvmVrTOjbppN138XflbZOPBVCYo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=VywNUJLnK4rh0gGs1_W-CQ&ved=0CE4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=time%20perception%20in%20combat&f=false

Sorry for the lengthy URL link.

It also has been documented in combat scenarios with soldiers and law enforcement, though this ingame induction of it is by no means as drastic, but the reaction capability is the same regardless, it is a natural result of an adrenaline surge infact, part of the natural biological process that goes with it. Games are quite readily able to trigger that by pushing at the right psychological cues, a rise in music tempo or intensity, hot or angry colors like orange and red, or intense violence being depicted visually. which humans instinctively have the fight or flight reaction when witnessing, look at horror movies. People go for the thrill of it, either the fear of the main enemy committing the acts of violence, or liking the angry rush that comes from seeing it happen to people you don't know/are fictional. (According to common societal standards, Only the depraved would enjoy seeing it happening to Actual, real people)

Fox2Tails
Jul 23, 2012, 07:10 AM
I love it when that reaction takes hold, suddenly everything looks more fluid and clear. I get it in a few areas, Caves stands out the most, and I also get it when playing PSP2i