PDA

View Full Version : PC Typing kana ingame from English Windows 7

Finalzone
Jul 23, 2012, 12:02 AM
Forgive me if the question has been already answered. I have installed Japanese language package on Windows 7 and run Phantasy Star Online on virtual fullscreen mode. The keyboard input is set to Japanese but I am unable to write some kana (Hiragana and Katatana), text still in Romanji. Can anyone explain how the process work?

Thanks in advance.

Ryock
Jul 23, 2012, 12:04 AM
It sets back to english whenever you switch windows. To change your keyboard mode, make sure you're able to type in an area. Hit alt+shift to switch to Japanese, then shift+caps lock to switch into hiragana. From that point on, voila.

EDIT: My apologies, it wasn't alt+caps lock, it was shift+caps lock >.>;

Metalsnake27
Jul 23, 2012, 12:10 AM
Alt + ~ also works.

gigawuts
Jul 23, 2012, 12:25 AM
Hah, I just got this working because of this thread. Awesome, this will make playing with japanese players far less awkward. Time to learn some keywords!

Xaton
Jul 23, 2012, 02:16 AM
but couldnt you just type english and it place in the correct kana ? like if in word uptodate ones and switch to the japanese text font or katakana font?

Flaire
Jul 23, 2012, 03:37 AM
Also using English Windows 7

I have to open PSO2, minimize PSO2, change to Japanese, then change to hiragana using the mouse, reopen PSO2, click a text box, hit alt + caps, then wait 1 second.

From then on I can use Alt + caps to change to katakana from hiragana, and use Alt + Shift to change languages.

There always seems to be a slight lag delay when changing input mode.

Edit: You will know it's working because an indicator will pop up next to the input box.

Daiyousei
Jul 23, 2012, 05:02 AM
Or if you're like me, I play in windowed mode so I can just press esc and go to the language bar and change it easily, The PSO2 window is still active, so it won't switch back when I click back into the game window. This is only a problem for me if the game locks your cursor inside the game window.

gigawuts
Jul 23, 2012, 05:18 AM
I find alt+shift, alt+~, and alt+caps to be everything I need to swap back and forth. I'm on windows 7.

Gardios
Jul 23, 2012, 05:18 AM
You can also press the left windows key and then switch language settings.

Or just use alt+shift -> alt+capslock/ctrl+capslock which is easier and faster.

Lexx
Jul 23, 2012, 05:27 AM
For the shop search u can easy copy and paste,strg+v to paste

gigawuts
Jul 23, 2012, 03:46 PM
So i've gotten the gist of all this, but I'm stuck on one thing: How do I type full width alphanumeric characters?

Let's say I want to search for Lucky Rise I. That would be "ラッキーライズⅠ" (copied from another site). Note how the I is full width. I've googled for a good half hour, and I guess I just don't know the terms to use because nothing I find works. I try F7/8/9, I try converting, I try typing it in katakana mode, I try alphanumeric mode, and I even try selecting full-width alphanumeric mode in the language bar with the client in focus. It all registers, but I don't get the character I need. Everything I've attempted comes out with either just a plain I, or the wrong version.

Ryock
Jul 23, 2012, 04:55 PM
Type in ichi and hit the spacebar. Likewise for 2 and 3, you can use ni and san respectively.

gigawuts
Jul 23, 2012, 05:02 PM
Perfect, took me a bit to get it but it worked. Thanks!

Finalzone
Jul 25, 2012, 03:43 AM
Thanks you all. I am grateful for all your help.

Ana-Chan
Jul 25, 2012, 05:24 AM
I find alt+shift, alt+~, and alt+caps to be everything I need to swap back and forth. I'm on windows 7.

Be careful, the second one changes depending on keyboard layout. So for you it may be alt+~ but depending on keyboard layout, the ~ can move. For example, on UK English layouts, the ~ key is next to return and so it wouldn't change to/from hiragana. (Reference, my own keyboard and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout)
So I usually find it better to refer to it as the key left of 1.

scrangos
Jul 25, 2012, 05:28 AM
Fyi you can use ctrl + caps to swap to hiragana from katakana

Traye
Jul 25, 2012, 06:24 AM
Simply typing 1, 2, 3, 4 also works to create roman numerals (Ⅰ,Ⅱ,Ⅲ,Ⅳ) by hitting spacebar, this is slightly faster than typing ichi ni san yon.

Also, to make the centered dot in technique names and affixes (eg. ラ・フォイエ、 ラグネ・ソール) type / on the keyboard.

Hitting Space after typing / also allows you to type the long slash used in units (eg. サブ/アドスタミナε) and to get the greek suffixes (α, β, γ, ε) on units type "girisha" (ギリシャ) and hit space for the full list. This way you can type pretty much any specific unit name you want without tabbing out to copy.

Special symbols can also be typed directly, though they're not nearly as useful as the ones above. Here are a few below:

Stars: ほし (hoshi) = ☆★※
Squares: しかく (shikaku) = ■□◆◇
Triangles: さんかく (sankaku) = △▲▽▼∴∵
Circles: まる (maru) = ○●◎...
Muscial Notes: おんぷ (onpu) = ♪
Sharp: しゃーぷ (sha-pu) = ♯
Flat: ふらっと (furatto) = ♭
Arrows: やじるし (yajirushi) = ↑↓←→⇔

You can use these to beautify your shop advertisement, autowords, or just in general outside PSO2 ^^

Mizunos
Jul 25, 2012, 06:49 AM
I'm playing in virtual fullscreen and none of the aforementioned solutions work for me, i can type in japanese just fine outside of the game but whenever i go back to the game window it goes back to the normal input, I can't switch to hira/kata either, shift+caps lock does nothing :dead:

Ana-Chan
Jul 25, 2012, 07:23 AM
I'm playing in virtual fullscreen and none of the aforementioned solutions work for me, i can type in japanese just fine outside of the game but whenever i go back to the game window it goes back to the normal input, I can't switch to hira/kata either, shift+caps lock does nothing :dead:

I noticed that with Virtual Fullscreen, the focus stays on the task bar/start menu rather than actually going onto the game window. Have you tried alt-tabbing out and then back in?

Kizzu-kun
Jul 25, 2012, 07:39 AM

The shortcut to change the keyboard language (english layout to japanese one, and vice versa) is Alt+Shift.

If this doesn't work check if you are using Microsoft IME (and not the Google one, my brother had a similar problem with typing in kana using it).