PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone figured out a reasonable way to map the arrow keys?

wohdin
Jul 23, 2012, 02:14 AM
I'm one of those left-handed mutants, and I absolutely CAN NOT play any video game with WASD, especially one like PSO. I absolutely need my movement mapped to the arrow keys, and I don't want to have to edit my registry to do it. AutoHotKey isn't working. Any ideas?

For the record, the arrow keys are NOT MAPPABLE in-game.

Halcyote
Jul 23, 2012, 02:20 AM
no need to edit registry!

this topic (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195744) has the in-game options menu translated so you should be able to edit your keyboard controls.

wohdin
Jul 23, 2012, 02:21 AM
Maybe I should have clarified: the arrow keys are not mappable in-game, at least not for me. That's why this is a problem. I don't need any translation, I can read Japanese just fine, it's an actual problem with the game itself.

jooozek
Jul 23, 2012, 02:27 AM
Nothing will work as long as gameguard is on.

Squall179
Jul 23, 2012, 02:37 AM
well, I'd try mapping the Other side, like what I did, I'm a lefty too, and I mapped I, J , K and L for the same functions as WASD respective of their keyboard positions. I then took their functions and allocated them to WASD as best as I could. I sometimes have a few issues with it forgetting that and I have to redo it though.

wohdin
Jul 23, 2012, 02:41 AM
I thought about that, but I can't imagine having my hand draped over the keyboard in that fashion. WASD conceptually is just so bizarre to me. I just don't see why they feel the need to limit our key mapping options like this, it's extremely counterproductive IMO.

Nothing will work as long as gameguard is on.
fffff I kind of suspected it was GameGuard's fault. Hate that crap. It obviously does nothing to stop actual hackers, and only inconveniences normal players.

JeyKama
Jul 23, 2012, 02:46 AM
Is it possible to use Microsoft's keyboard layout editor?

assuming of course, you're using windows...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964665.aspx

edit: ehhh I guess it doesn't include the arrow keys, never mind

You might have to use a registry hack like SharpKeys.

wohdin
Jul 23, 2012, 02:55 AM
Is it possible to use Microsoft's keyboard layout editor?

assuming of course, you're using windows...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964665.aspx
I hadn't thought of that (and I should have, considering I've used it before to make both a custom Cyrillic keyboard and a custom Latin Extended US keyboard with deadkeys), but no dice - it doesn't do "system" keys, only character input keys (mapping characters to keys, not editing the codepage).

[e] I installed SharpKeys but when I found out that it required a reboot to work, I started looking for other options. I don't want to have to reboot my computer both to play PSO2 AND to return to "normal" mode, that's just way too much trouble.

Daiyousei
Jul 23, 2012, 03:05 AM
well, I'd try mapping the Other side, like what I did, I'm a lefty too, and I mapped I, J , K and L for the same functions as WASD respective of their keyboard positions. I then took their functions and allocated them to WASD as best as I could. I sometimes have a few issues with it forgetting that and I have to redo it though.

I'm not a lefty (I'm somewhat ambidextrous), but I can say this works better than mapping to the arrow keys, especially if you need to use any keys around the movement controls. I've played games with unmappable movement controls set to IJKL, and it works just as well as WASD.

I used to be OCD with controlling movement with my right hand, but then just got lazy to remap and stuck with WASD, unless I have no other choice.

Besides, shooters like Touhou have their movement mapped to the arrow keys, which you use with your right hand while you shoot with ZXC or whatever with your left hand.

wohdin
Jul 23, 2012, 03:15 AM
I've gotten especially used to using the keys around the arrow keys (especially in first-person games - usually it goes as follows: ctrl:crouch, shift:jump, enter:interact, delete:drop or alt. interact, end:some kind of run function or other movement mod, num0:melee or reload where applicable, and then numpad for either swapping items/weapons or hotkeyed/skill bar abilities where applicable, especially so in MMOs with shortcut bars, and insert/home usually get some kind of camera-related function), I just can't imagine switching to full alpha keys for gaming period at this point.

As sad as it might sound, this is LITERALLY the only thing keeping me from playing PSO2 right now. I would like to try playing it with a controller, but that would involve me owning a controller, which I don't...

IAmSecretSpy
Jul 23, 2012, 03:37 AM
Simple Buy a Logitech G13, by far the best Gamepad you can get. They have left hand version on ebay if you look hard enough.

wohdin
Jul 23, 2012, 03:40 AM
Simple Buy a Logitech G13, by far the best Gamepad you can get. They have left hand version on ebay if you look hard enough.
If I were gonna get a controller for my PC, it would be a Sixaxis. Also, what the hell is a "left-handed" gamepad?

gigawuts
Jul 23, 2012, 03:41 AM
If I were gonna get a controller for my PC, it would be a Sixaxis. Also, what the hell is a "left-handed" gamepad?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Logitech+G13

jooozek
Jul 23, 2012, 03:44 AM
Isn't G13 blocked by gameguard or did they fix it? Anyone with a G13 here and can confirm it working properly?

wohdin
Jul 23, 2012, 03:44 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Logitech+G13
That's.... not a gamepad. It's a game board, sure (which if you ask me is one of the most useless inventions ever). But it's definitely not a gamepad.

gigawuts
Jul 23, 2012, 03:49 AM
Well, I could argue that modern controllers are far and away not at all describable as "pads," and that a smallish flat surface with keys on it is far more applicable, but gamepad does indeed tend to just mean controller.

Anyway, I know lots of lefties that play with the standard righty FPS layout. They also drive standard righty stick. Try it out maybe?

IAmSecretSpy
Jul 23, 2012, 04:01 AM
Isn't G13 blocked by gameguard or did they fix it? Anyone with a G13 here and can confirm it working properly?

Im using my perfectly, Windows 7 SP1 32-Bit

wohdin
Jul 23, 2012, 04:33 AM
Anyway, I know lots of lefties that play with the standard righty FPS layout. They also drive standard righty stick. Try it out maybe?

In case the part where I say I CAN NOT use WASD didn't tip you off, I have tried it, many times, and it is just flat out horribly uncomfortable to me. For one, I've never been able to use a mouse properly with my right hand, since the right half of my body is pretty retarded (save for my fingers, thank you piano!), I get far better precision with left-handing the mouse, and trying to use my right hand with a mouse while simultaneously rewiring my brain to give movement to my left hand is simply not going to work. I would know, I've tried it.

kdrakari
Jul 23, 2012, 04:39 AM
If you have a number pad, have you tried assigning the movement keys to numbers and using that to move? I don't know if it actually works, but it should be more similar to the arrow keys than IJKL and still have plenty of extra buttons around to customize.

gigawuts
Jul 23, 2012, 04:49 AM
In case the part where I say I CAN NOT use WASD didn't tip you off, I have tried it, many times, and it is just flat out horribly uncomfortable to me. For one, I've never been able to use a mouse properly with my right hand, since the right half of my body is pretty retarded (save for my fingers, thank you piano!), I get far better precision with left-handing the mouse, and trying to use my right hand with a mouse while simultaneously rewiring my brain to give movement to my left hand is simply not going to work. I would know, I've tried it.

I've hit plenty of brick walls and just learned to do something else, but if that's not an option and you won't buy anything else then I have nfi, sorry.

Squall179
Jul 23, 2012, 04:57 AM
Well if nothing else.....why not just try......rearange where the keyboard is set up, so you can use whichever you can reach easier, WASD, IJKL, Numberpad, and set the mouse to where you need it to be. ABout the only option I can think of left to you if you can't do anything else.

using the IJKL still lets you use space to jump.....and for those who are used to he arrow keys, they can still easily hit standard spacebar jump, it does take a LITTLE Getting used to, but the arrow keys are i nthe same arrangement poisitionally as IJKL anyway, why not at least give it a try?

oifjustus
Jul 23, 2012, 09:04 AM
Try playing on a controller?

DARKWINGDARA
Jul 23, 2012, 11:31 AM
turn your keyboard upside down. problem solved.

Mariodante
Jul 23, 2012, 02:15 PM
OP, why not try installing a console controller? Using the program DS3 tool and a PS3 controller, I play PSO2 via PS3 controller and honestly I've got literally every button I could ever need conveniently placed in my hand. I do, however, use a mouse for item and quest screens.

Omisan
Jul 23, 2012, 02:40 PM
xbox 360 controller is totally supported by pso2. They have the button icons for it and everything. No need to mess around with any other outside crap

Angelo
Jul 23, 2012, 02:51 PM
I'm one of those left-handed mutants, and I absolutely CAN NOT play any video game with WASD, especially one like PSO. I absolutely need my movement mapped to the arrow keys, and I don't want to have to edit my registry to do it. AutoHotKey isn't working. Any ideas?

For the record, the arrow keys are NOT MAPPABLE in-game.

Wut...

As a lefty I always found that we come out advantageous having the movement keys on controllers and keyboards on our dextrous hand.

Maybe that's why I refuse to play any game without controller compatibility. It always seemed like controllers were made for lefties.

kdrakari
Jul 23, 2012, 06:29 PM
OP says "I would play on a controller but I don't have one."

Immediately the next page is filled with suggestions of using controllers.

BogusKun
Jul 23, 2012, 07:24 PM
Invest in a special Left-handed Xbox 360 controller ;)

UnLucky
Jul 23, 2012, 08:21 PM
can you map home/end/delete/pagedown?

wohdin
Jul 23, 2012, 09:23 PM
Invest in a special Left-handed Xbox 360 controller ;)
okay seriously what the hell are these "left-handed" controllers. they sound like the worst invention on the face of the earth. gamepads are JUST FINE the way they are, especially dual-stick ones (and especially those with EVEN sticks, like dualshocks).

can you map home/end/delete/pagedown?
Yes, but I always map those to non-directional controls. I could never imagine playing with those as movement. The whole point of this is to NOT have my gigantic hand draped over the keyboard, smashing keys randomly on accident, which would DEFINITELY happen if I tried to use anything other than the arrow keys.

Angelo
Jul 23, 2012, 09:30 PM
okay seriously what the hell are these "left-handed" controllers. they sound like the worst invention on the face of the earth. gamepads are JUST FINE the way they are, especially dual-stick ones (and especially those with EVEN sticks, like dualshocks)..

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

wohdin
Jul 23, 2012, 09:32 PM
why would you even make a joke like that, that's just unfunny and dumb

I mean really

so I take it no one has figured out how to map the arrow keys outside of registry editing? I really hate to be forced to go down that road, but I suppose it's for the greater good. maybe one day Sega will wise up and FIX IT, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 23, 2012, 09:34 PM
You mean, like, A and B on the left side?

Is that.. bad?

wohdin
Jul 23, 2012, 09:36 PM
You mean, like, A and B on the left side?

Is that.. bad?
It makes no sense, for starters, and I've never heard of any left-handed person having any significant problems with face buttons on the right. It's a lot like left-handed desks, most lefties have "adapted" (or rather, it's not that big of a deal to be anything that needs adapting) rendering them pretty much pointless. (I actually prefer "regular" right-handed desks, but that's just me.)

GoldenFalcon
Jul 23, 2012, 09:39 PM
So, it's a gross idea due to precedents?

I think that logic is plain unfair

gigawuts
Jul 23, 2012, 09:39 PM
Who the hell signs up to a forum to ask for help and then acts like a jerk when people offer suggestions since they don't know how to give him exactly the one thing he wants?

I mean really.

wohdin
Jul 23, 2012, 09:54 PM
So, it's a gross idea due to precedents?
No, it's a gross idea because a controller is held in identically the same form for both hands, and manipulated with gestures that are not natural to either hand regardless of dominance, so hand dominance does not matter. The only thing that would matter is if a person had never held a controller before and was learning to use one completely from scratch. It's not going to "help" anyone because it's not solving any kind of problem - anyone who has ever played games on a controller before will find it difficult to adjust, and anyone learning on the "flipped" controller will forever be stunted with normal controllers - it would only cause damage.

Mouse and keyboard, on the other hand, are completely different beasts, particularly because each hand is doing VASTLY different things but working in tandem. It's very common for the precision required to use a mouse to better manifest in one's dominant hand, meaning lefties are far more likely to use their left hand to use it. Layout DOES make an enormous difference, and every person will have their own unique way of using them. Design can also have a significant impact, which is why there are so many left-handed mice out there. Sadly, too many PC game developers still dismiss the possibility that players would play in this manner, and horribly gimp their own controls as a result.

TL;DR: game controllers are called such because they are DESIGNED around the concept of controlling games, universally - that's why most controllers share similar layouts across the industry. Keyboard and mouse, on the other hand, has to be adapted to both the game and the individual in order to work.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 23, 2012, 09:58 PM
Or be ambi and thus be the ruler of your environment, rather than victim of tailoring

wohdin
Jul 23, 2012, 10:00 PM
I wish I could, but the right side of my body is pretty much useless for anything except typing and blunt force absorption lol.

UnLucky
Jul 23, 2012, 10:05 PM
well I just googled this, maybe it'll work who knows why doncha try it

http://headsoft.com.au/index.php?category=vjoy

supposedly it'll turn your key presses into gamepad actions. the opposite thing gamepadder/joy2key/etc are for

wohdin
Jul 23, 2012, 10:07 PM
can you have both keyboard and gamepad controls functioning simultaneously? if so that might work

gigawuts
Jul 23, 2012, 10:33 PM
You can. There's actually a couple people around here that play half and half - one hand on keyboard or mouse, the other on a controller.

UnLucky
Jul 24, 2012, 12:16 AM
well I just googled this, maybe it'll work who knows why doncha try it

http://headsoft.com.au/index.php?category=vjoy

supposedly it'll turn your key presses into gamepad actions. the opposite thing gamepadder/joy2key/etc are for

I tried it out and it works. Set left/right/up/down to, well, left/right/up/down and you can control your character with the arrow keys. Launch vjoy before you start pso2, and make sure it's enabled (and check Block Keys to override the regular arrow key functionality).

BogusKun
Jul 24, 2012, 12:20 AM
okay seriously what the hell are these "left-handed" controllers. they sound like the worst invention on the face of the earth. gamepads are JUST FINE the way they are, especially dual-stick ones (and especially those with EVEN sticks, like dualshocks).

I hope you know how to take jokes ;)

wohdin
Jul 26, 2012, 03:35 AM
I finally got VJoy to work with PSO2, after like a day of struggling with it. Turns out I had another virtual gamepad installed (PPJoy, honestly I didn't even know it came with a virtual gamepad driver) and it was interfering with VJoy's ability to work with PSO2, so once I removed PPJoy's virtual joystick VJoy worked perfectly fine. I would have just went ahead and used PPJoy, but for some reason PSO2 consistently crashed after a few moments with it (with a rather vague message of "想定外のえらーが発生しました。" - how informative).

So if anyone else is having difficulty getting VJoy to work, I would first suggest uninstalling any other gamepad drivers you have installed, because PSO2 apparently doesn't know what the word DEFAULT means.