PDA

View Full Version : What if PSO 2 played like Dark Souls?

ChronoTrigga
Jul 23, 2012, 07:34 PM
Before anything, I LOVE the battle system in PSO 2.

With that being said, having the mind of a stoner I tend to ask random questions like this that mean nothing, or something to similar minds.

BIG OLAF
Jul 23, 2012, 07:34 PM
Then it would be shit.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 23, 2012, 07:35 PM
How about the opposite?

KEV1N
Jul 23, 2012, 07:38 PM
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/TGVKj.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Keiko_Seisha
Jul 23, 2012, 07:40 PM
NINJA ROLL NINJA ROLL NINJA ROLL NINJA ROLL swing weapon NINJA ROLL

Or something like that.

It would depend if we get the amount of difficulty to go along with it.

gigawuts
Jul 23, 2012, 07:41 PM
The hunter class already does, except this game is you know, what's the word...easy.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 23, 2012, 07:41 PM
NINJA ROLL NINJA ROLL NINJA ROLL NINJA ROLL swing weapon NINJA ROLL

Or something like that.

Wartecher deserves ninja rolling

Lostbob117
Jul 23, 2012, 07:44 PM
What about pso2 with wow pvp, though wow is boring combain pso2 gameplay with their wow's pvp would be awesome.

Kanore
Jul 23, 2012, 08:09 PM
oh man the mind of a stoner

i bet you're faded all the time bro

420ganja ppl just don't understand

condiments
Jul 23, 2012, 08:23 PM
If the pso2's combat system emulated dark souls, it probably would be my favorite online game ever. Dark souls' has one of the best action RPG combat systems to date, which is only helped out by its exemplary design that crushes the less prudent gamers that brave its depths. The great thing is, once you understand its systems and workings, Dark souls really isn't that tough of a game. It is definitely an old school gamers type of game.

I would love to see such similar design decisions become an influence for PSO2, but they've gone a more randomized, casual approach to designing the game. Not necessarily bad, just not my cup of tea.

gigawuts
Jul 23, 2012, 08:29 PM
Yeah that's the fun part about Dark Souls. At first it's a game about "how the fuck did they make this and expect people to beat it," but then it's just a game of when to roll. Also, it's a game about its own game world, but-. Still, that itself is as much a fitting mechanic as many other things, especially since at least in Dark Souls it looks like you actually evade something as opposed to like PSO2 where the dodge is just me lunging forward directly into a laser beam and somehow it passes through me because videogames.

But honestly, just get an Xbox controller and remap your controls. It plays very similarly. I've been doing it since the POBT.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 23, 2012, 08:30 PM
If the pso2's combat system emulated dark souls, it probably would be my favorite online game ever. stuff stuff

Well, you'd have to sacrifice spam attacking, spam rolling, spam blocking..
yeah, enemies would have to be changed too, I'd think

Risuo
Jul 23, 2012, 08:45 PM
As much as I love both franchises, PSO2's universe strikes me as fast-paced instead of slow and methodical, although there is still method where it is needed. It's an interesting idea, wouldn't mind trying it out, can't imagine how it'll play out right now though, haha.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 23, 2012, 08:47 PM
instead of slow and methodical

Clearly you didn't PvP and were cautious to a fault

Crimera
Jul 23, 2012, 08:49 PM
The entire pacing of the game would be awful.

You would have to run for a long time to get anywhere.
Trial and error on certain enemies (assuming you didn't look at any guides) and areas.
Less combo oriented combat(no juggling set ups).

The overall flow of the game would break because of this...

Dark Souls is one of my favorite games. c": <3

Risuo
Jul 23, 2012, 08:52 PM
Clearly you didn't PvP and were cautious to a fault

In fact I did PVP thank you very much XD But I didn't go spamming R1's, there was still rolling and waiting for an opening. I could link you a video if you'd like, haha. *edit: Mind it also depends on the weapon you use, so using a Straight Sword would be fast paced compared to, say, the Ultra-Great Swords or Great Hammers. I personally used Great Hammers and the Spears, which is why I like Partisans XD

Agitated_AT
Jul 23, 2012, 08:53 PM
WOuld only want the challenge and difficulty. Everything else is A okay in pso2

Lostbob117
Jul 23, 2012, 08:54 PM
I wonder how many Dark souls players know of Demon's souls.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 23, 2012, 08:55 PM
there was still rolling and waiting for an opening

backstab only, perhaps?
GameFAQs was full of QQ threads every day about backstabbing

What brought upon this seemingly arbitrary musing?

Lostbob117
Jul 23, 2012, 08:59 PM
What brought upon this seemingly arbitrary musing?

I don't know I just wonder how many of ya Dark Souls players know of it.

Risuo
Jul 23, 2012, 08:59 PM
backstab only, perhaps?
GameFAQs was full of QQ threads every day about backstabbing

No, I suck at backstabbing, the only time I would get one is by accident. If you cared to read my whole statement, I apologize if you did and I assumed you didn't, I used Great Hammers and Spears. Not really the back-stab type of weapon. You know what here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Pc_VhSA8Q&list=UUkFC_TovwAxUbR1rcCszCTw&index=4&feature=plcp

Now I'm not saying I'm great, as the montage at the beginning would show. Your tone is a little condescending btw, I apologize if you don't mean it ^^;

I've played and finished Demon's Souls before Dark Souls, enjoyed both games XD

GoldenFalcon
Jul 23, 2012, 09:01 PM
Now I'm not saying I'm great, as the montage at the beginning would show. Your tone is a little condescending btw, I apologize if you don't mean it ^^;

Oh, I suck too
I was joking about the backstab only thing, by the way. Sorry for sounding like that

Side note: Great Hammer backstabbing was the best backstabbing

Lostbob117
Jul 23, 2012, 09:03 PM
I beat the game 10 times so far of dark souls and I'm on my 11th playthrough at the last boss.

Risuo
Jul 23, 2012, 09:05 PM
Oh, I suck too
I was joking about the backstab only thing, by the way. Sorry for sounding like that

Side note: Great Hammer backstabbing was the best backstabbing

Oh okidoke, I apologize for insinuating. I also did not know that Great Hammers were backstab weapons, usually I hear it's a Rapier + Hornet's Ring + Ninja Leap Frog Ring :lol:

One thing that came up in my mind was the added attack type in Dark Souls, the falling off of ledges coup de grace. If they somehow incorporated that even into the gameplay now, that would make things interesting XD

GoldenFalcon
Jul 23, 2012, 09:09 PM
Oh okidoke, I apologize for insinuating. I also did not know that Great Hammers were backstab weapons, usually I hear it's a Rapier + Hornet's Ring + Ninja Leap Frog Ring :lol:

One thing that came up in my mind was the added attack type in Dark Souls, the falling off of ledges coup de grace. If they somehow incorporated that even into the gameplay now, that would make things interesting XD

Rapier is dumb. Real men shove huge things into their enemies

Well, in the gank forest that was as popular as Kiln, you could do the running jump off the stairs and do the plunge attack on guys, to great effect with weapons that dropped the weapon horizontal rather than vertical (great hammers)

GoldenFalcon
Jul 23, 2012, 09:10 PM
I beat the game 10 times so far of dark souls and I'm on my 11th playthrough at the last boss.

I never did New Game + on either game
since I suck

Lostbob117
Jul 23, 2012, 09:15 PM
I never did New Game + on either game
since I suck

Get better. :D

Risuo
Jul 23, 2012, 09:17 PM

Well, in the gank forest that was as popular as Kiln, you could do the running jump off the stairs and do the plunge attack on guys, to great effect with weapons that dropped the weapon horizontal rather than vertical (great hammers)

Oh dat forest. So many good(lolno) memories. Could barely find a decent 1v1, either it was 1v1 at first, then his friend shows up later as we're both dying, or, my personal favorite: Gets summoned/Defends forest> Tranquil Walk of Peace> Derp.

Also, I just realized, Wrath of God can be comparable to Gigrants. Now if PVP was implemented, and there are stagger animations, with DkS mechanics we will be stunlocked forevaaaah!

Well, actually, can't imagine it properly :lol:

GoldenFalcon
Jul 23, 2012, 09:26 PM
Also, I just realized, Wrath of God can be comparable to Gigrants. Now if PVP was implemented, and there are stagger animations, with DkS mechanics we will be stunlocked forevaaaah!

Well, actually, can't imagine it properly :lol:

Gigrants hits 4-6 times...
It's just spam blender where everyone dies, as if Wrath of God could hit that much

Risuo
Jul 23, 2012, 09:28 PM
Gigrants hits 4-6 times...
It's just spam blender where everyone dies, as if Wrath of God could hit that much

So it's like 4 - 6 WoGs compressed into a circle around the player and spins in rapid succession, which can also be spammed.

.... I USE THE MAGIC CARD SWORDS OF SPAMMING LIGHT! *obscure reference*

GoldenFalcon
Jul 23, 2012, 09:30 PM
Now we just need some new tech tree that has light quick charge, to spam Gigrants twice as fast

which also would benefit resta, woohoo

condiments
Jul 23, 2012, 09:41 PM

*Dons monocle and top hat* I imported Demon souls and played it for months before filthy Americans besmirched its glory with their hands.

Yeah I personally avoided the forest pvp after a couple of times playing. Way too random and troublesome for my taste. I later became a darkwraith, and used kiln as my stomping ground for many days. PvP was both fun and annoying due to the tranquil walk of peace, and fog ring which people abused to no end.

Konflyk
Jul 23, 2012, 09:46 PM
Then it would be shit.

You seem upset, was Dark Souls a bit too hard for you?

I personally think it could work, no problem at all though I know the majority of players would hate it because they'd get bent over since they would be constantly getting hit.

Tianren
Jul 23, 2012, 09:49 PM
Dark Souls mechanics with the PSO2 bosses would be very interesting... And Darkroot Forest can go to hell. I got stuck in there for 3 hours once when I wanted to leave, so then I just started spamming Chameleon when no one got used to it... Watched 2 guys look for me for 45 minutes... And then leave. Best laugh ever.

ChronoTrigga
Jul 23, 2012, 09:59 PM
oh man the mind of a stoner

i bet you're faded all the time bro

420ganja ppl just don't understand

nah, i usually smoke at the end of the day after i've completed the days objectives.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 23, 2012, 10:04 PM
Dark Souls mechanics with the PSO2 bosses would be very interesting...

I had a moment once where I imagined Monster Hunter with Devil May Cry antics
Or trying to imagine playing PSU with RP characters
Yeah..

condiments
Jul 23, 2012, 10:21 PM
I had a moment once where I imagined Monster Hunter with Devil May Cry antics
Or trying to imagine playing PSU with RP characters
Yeah..

Yeah, picturing a fight like this in a group setting would be too good to be true. We'll hopefully get something like it one day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLxtdj6Z7FM

BahnKnakyu
Jul 23, 2012, 10:26 PM
You know, the game can still be hard and fast paced like PSO2's combat system.

See: DMC1 and DMC3 in Dante Must Die mode.

Edit: Someone's beaten me to the punch.

condiments
Jul 23, 2012, 10:31 PM
You know, the game can still be hard and fast paced like PSO2's combat system.

See: DMC1 and DMC3 in Dante Must Die mode.

Honestly, the souls series is easy compared to the higher difficulty modes of twitch action games like Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry. In dark souls, there is some element of twitch, but its more pattern recognition and stamina management. In NG and DMC, if you're fingers aren't fast enough, you're not going to beat the game on the higher difficulty modes.

So yes, PSO2 is capable of being that difficult, but I doubt they'll take it that direction unless the higher difficulty modes spike hugely in difficulty.

JayD-X
Jul 24, 2012, 03:54 AM
That was one of the most boring DMC videos I think I've ever seen...

Edit: No offense. lol

GoldenFalcon
Jul 24, 2012, 03:56 AM
That was one of the most boring DMC videos I think I've ever seen...

Edit: No offense. lol

Hey Virgil let me russian dance on your face
Next on the menu: 4 people russian dancing on his face

velociti
Jul 25, 2012, 12:20 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHH! I've always linked dark souls with pso2, ALWAYS! It feels so much more like dark souls (when playing with a ps3 controller, and all the buttons are configured just like dark souls was) than pso1!
PSO2 itself is epic, its just like what Dark Souls SHOULD HAVE BEEN (put in dark soul's gameplay mechanics and ooo). Big parties running around the place, killing bosses together, leveling is slower (that's good, because you could be lvl 712 in dark souls lol). Um, I can't remember all the things, right the atmosphere of dark souls oooooh, if that was in pso2, I would just sit in the caves all day (ALL DAY, those low tones in Blightown just put you in perspective of WHERE YOU ARE) You know, the "darkness" atmosphere feeling, ooooh I want that...
edit: to go on, pso2's graphics are so nice. Dark Soul's graphics are so real (amazing.. I might play it tomorrow HAha..) it is crazy, no words, just crazy. AHHHH! I ... want dark souls type of maps in pso2, I want that atmosphere brah!!!!!!!! ATMOSPHERE!!!!

ALSO, I wish pso2's overall map was interlinked JUST LIKE dark soul's was. Throw a big ship in the middle of somewhere where everyone can be, and you just free roam to forest, caves, tundra, etc. That would be epic though I know those are on other planets, but I'd like to see some ground work, not just running in the same teleporter to get to places, rambling much yes, I just love getting to places I guess, its fun, yea.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 25, 2012, 12:22 AM
Well, if anything, the Darker "Hive" areas will be good enough for that sort of thing

ScottyMango
Jul 25, 2012, 12:23 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHH! I've always linked dark souls with pso2, ALWAYS! It feels so much more like dark souls (when playing with a ps3 controller, and all the buttons are configured just like dark souls was) than pso1!

I think you may have lost your mind, good sir.

Retehi
Jul 25, 2012, 12:24 AM
PSO2 would be better if it was like Modern Warfare, with a poppin' fresh soundtrack by Limp Bizkit.

Deviruki
Jul 25, 2012, 12:26 AM
I would like it, lmao. PSO2 is way too easy...

ScottyMango
Jul 25, 2012, 12:29 AM
Yeah, the only real challenge I've had so far is the snow panther/banshee.

Ueno54
Jul 25, 2012, 12:34 AM
What about pso2 with wow pvp, though wow is boring combain pso2 gameplay with their wow's pvp would be awesome.

Force: Fireball go!

Ranger: Launcher state yip yip

Hunter: *dies*

GoldenFalcon
Jul 25, 2012, 12:37 AM
Force: rafoie rafoie rafoie gigrants

Ranger: Launcher master race. Does weakpoint bullet work?

Hunter: Let me go switch to Ranger

My thoughts

Phantasma
Jul 25, 2012, 12:44 AM
I kinda wish PSO2 upped the difficulty to near that of Dark Souls, but to really achieve the full scale, spammable ranged attacks would have to be limited so I guess PP regen would be like 1/sec, enemies would have to hit a LOT harder, enemies would by and large ignore hitstun and just plow through your attacks, telepipes would not exist, and cliffs would have no invisible wall so those that suck at platforming can eat a big "YOU DIED" every so often...also enemies would be conveniently poised to knock you off said cliffs. Prepare to rage edition.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 25, 2012, 12:49 AM
Just gonna say, almost nothing in Dark Souls had resistance to hit stun, unless you had a weapon that was too weak for the area

HunterFusion
Jul 25, 2012, 01:19 AM
PSO2 would be better if it was like Modern Warfare, with a poppin' fresh soundtrack by Limp Bizkit.

Modern Warfare?????

(my reaction to Modern Warfare)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOgvlfWKw-I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOgvlfWKw-I

velociti
Jul 25, 2012, 01:23 AM
telepipes would not exist, and cliffs would have no invisible wall so those that suck at platforming can eat a big "YOU DIED" every so often...also enemies would be conveniently poised to knock you off said cliffs. Prepare to rage edition.

LOOOOL!
your idea, this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjCYJB7mohE&feature=related
oh my gosh this game has so much funny potential, the guy spends 30 seconds climbing a ladder, only to be blown down to the bottom and die XD. So many funny booby traps, not intended for pvp AHAHHA!

Ragnarok_
Jul 25, 2012, 03:15 AM
Force: Fireball go!

Ranger: Launcher state yip yip

Hunter: *dies*

I'm putting this in my signature.

But to contribute, I don't quite like the 'Souls' games and their BDSM Foreplay game ideals. I played it for a while, and it wasn't really as hard as it was just boring. If I died, oh well good thing I slapped that campfire...

I would despise that in PSO2.

velociti
Jul 25, 2012, 11:25 AM
There will always be hatuhs, ragnarok. oh btw ragnarok was fun, but boring. gladly the game has died, nobody cares about that game anymore. On the other hand, the dark souls franchise is doing well, and expect a dark souls PC port soon.
I'm also guessing you used exploits to get souls quick, read guides on what weapons to get, and where, etc.

If you really bought the game on release day, never used any guides, and you yourself roamed the dark souls world, I'm sure you would have a hard time finding your way. Boring? ok buddy, haters gunna hate.

Phantasma
Jul 25, 2012, 12:26 PM
LOOOOL!
your idea, this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjCYJB7mohE&feature=related
oh my gosh this game has so much funny potential, the guy spends 30 seconds climbing a ladder, only to be blown down to the bottom and die XD. So many funny booby traps, not intended for pvp AHAHHA!
HA! That video needs some Mario/Sonic game over music when they catch a bad case of death. :3

velociti
Jul 25, 2012, 01:46 PM
Yep, good old music is a cure. Glad you saw the video, its just too funny :P