PDA

View Full Version : JP PSU Server close September 27th 2012

Mizunos
Jul 27, 2012, 03:07 AM
This is the end of the road for PSU, Sega just announced that the JP servers will close on September 27th, 12am JST.

Guardian Cash service and game-key distribution will end on August 28th 5pm JST.

http://phantasystaruniverse.jp/news/wis/?mode=view&id=1689

Lumpen Thingy
Jul 27, 2012, 03:13 AM
holy shit

DeathDragon2332
Jul 27, 2012, 04:55 AM
Wow sega you are fucking dumb ><

Red*
Jul 27, 2012, 04:57 AM
Wow..... Shocked

DeathDragon2332
Jul 27, 2012, 04:59 AM
Guess I HAVE to play Pso2 now ><

The Master eye
Jul 27, 2012, 06:26 AM
no suprise for me tbh but that soon D:

RagolianHunter
Jul 27, 2012, 06:52 AM
Well the end of PSU worldwide, hell of a game sucks it is dead.

EvilMag
Jul 27, 2012, 07:07 AM
I can't believe it. PSU was nice and it sucks to see it die. Guess that leaves US/EU PSP2 and JP PSP2i.

Ryno
Jul 27, 2012, 07:20 AM
Omg! I'm glad I bought most of the GC outfits took a photo and made a memory out of it.

Red*
Jul 27, 2012, 07:20 AM
Yes yoko it was a matter of time, but it is a bad timing, sega will loose lot of players that wont wait until the european/north american release of pso2. Or they will join pso2 jp.. And the us/eu pso2 version will fail before it even started. Shame on sega, 2months to say bye to a game pplswasted lot of money in it.

TheAstarion
Jul 27, 2012, 07:33 AM
This annoys me more than the Xbox closure. I spent 5 years on xbox, and only 1 on JP, but feel as if I accomplished more on JP side in that time.

The only PSU experience will soon be Portable, and I doubt Sony will shut down one of their few online portable games so lightly. We probably have at least a few months left for that.

It's disappointing that everything we worked for, on every server, is going to be shut off. I am, however, less disappointed than I would have been had I never started on JP side, my time on JP PSU has allowed me to come to grips with reading basic Japanese, allowing me to transition to PSO2 a lot more easily. They could've softened the blow to the Western users by giving a definite release announcement of PSO2, rather than leaving them adrift in the sea of no Phantasy.

Since PSO2 I've been caring less and less about PSU... but still enough to be sad, it seems.

Ryno
Jul 27, 2012, 07:39 AM
And what else I did with PSU I helped PSO-World with item data base. With a bunch of items. This will so be a very very sad memory. But in a great memory to remember. How we met friends. And that we even added them on Facebook too! We even call our fellow PSU/PSO-W friends as best friends now! How time flies by from 2006!!

EvilMag
Jul 27, 2012, 07:41 AM
So where do you guys wanna go for the final hours?

Mystic_Nessly
Jul 27, 2012, 07:48 AM
Let's face it. We all saw it coming. The server population is on it's last breath. Every time I've signed on the past month, there hasn't even been a single full star. i was hoping we'd get a nice population boost from Xbox 360 players after their server closes in September. Guess we won't get a chance to see that happen. :{

I wonder if they'll organize a meeting area/events on the last day as the international PC/PS2 server did? Or maybe we can organize our own? That would be fun.

At least we still have Portable 2 and Portable 2 Infinity if we want to continue playing the Universe saga online. I have a hunch those won't be going any time soon.

Mystil
Jul 27, 2012, 08:06 AM
Yes yoko it was a matter of time, but it is a bad timing, sega will loose lot of players that wont wait until the european/north american release of pso2. Or they will join pso2 jp.. And the us/eu pso2 version will fail before it even started. Shame on sega, 2months to say bye to a game pplswasted lot of money in it.

Yeah, you all might as well just come on over. PSO2 is just too good for SOA. I can't see SOA not fucking up with it in some devastating way.

Retehi
Jul 27, 2012, 08:55 AM
http://apocalypse-tribe.com/rdfox/lmao.jpg

DPShiro
Jul 27, 2012, 09:30 AM
WOW didn't see that coming so soon...

Cranberry
Jul 27, 2012, 10:42 AM
They should let the Xbox servers stay up until the 27th as well. Let everything go down at the same time.

Still, I never expected that Japanese PSU would go down this fast. I mean I figured in a year or two it would, but I had no idea it would be this soon.

Freshellent
Jul 27, 2012, 01:54 PM
Damn son, they straight up ripped the power cord out on this series.

WHELP.

xBladeM6x
Jul 27, 2012, 02:10 PM
Damn son, they straight up ripped the power cord out on this series.

WHELP.

Pretty much my thought exactly. Pretty insane to see them kill the game.

Shirai
Jul 27, 2012, 02:26 PM
Expected it to happen, but not so soon... I expected a few more months or year before it happened.

Kind of shocking...

Aeris
Jul 27, 2012, 03:17 PM
Expected it to happen, but not so soon... I expected a few more months or year before it happened.

Kind of shocking...

I was waiting until next year or longer before they shut it down but it seems so early and suddenly though.

Zeota
Jul 27, 2012, 04:00 PM
Six years was a good long run. Had some good (and frustrating) times that first year pre-Illuminus.

HIT0SHI
Jul 27, 2012, 04:42 PM
Sega: F*** it...

lol

Keilyn
Jul 27, 2012, 05:00 PM
Sorry for my late reply everyone. Its not easy getting a connection from Y.N.P.

This actually pisses me off simply because its SEGAs way of getting everyone to enter PSO-2.They simply pull the plug on a series and then they get the old and new fanbases to enter their games.

I still don't know if I should play PSO-2. The last I saw the currencies compared to the dollar I got the following:

1 British Pound = 1.55
100 Yen = 1.28
1 Euro = 1.21

Combine that with the taxation and the fact foreigners tend to buy months apart and not in bundles since it wasn't really allowed for a long time and it became the most expensive game ever...

I did like the game and I played in Japan, met some decent players and enjoyed giving a second life to my four characters. If I do play PSO-2 I will probably create a keilyn offspring as my main. Alway been a newman fan. Of course I am likely to continue in Grand Fantasia and move on to Guild Wars 2 for a while.

Unfortunately, I cant play any Hardcore PC games until Early September. I've been getting used to living and working here at Yellowstone for a while and my contract doesn't expire until September. I remember seeing Grand Pulse in FFXIII and was amazed by the graphics, then my mind was blown when I came here to Yellostone, this is the Earth Equivalent to Grand Pulse and its amazing how many people either become friends to the animals around here or at times, are killed by them.

I will be sad for a while that the game is going, but at least the warning prevents people from spending on GC and throwing their money away.

*waves* to all the people I've met through here and in-game thus far. Thanks for putting up with my insanity for all of this time. Its really the darker side of myself in shadow that I like best of myself. Like the shirt says "Join the dark side, We have cookies!"

Crysteon
Jul 27, 2012, 05:38 PM
Dang, didnt see this one this soon. I guess they are going all out with PSO2, or maybe they just realized servers became nothing more but a ghost town since July 4th.

Oh well...I guess it doesnt hurt living some nostalgia for a few days before it's gone for good.

DAMASCUS
Jul 27, 2012, 05:54 PM
Wow I had forgotten how long I have been logged out of PSU but it has been about a year.

A ton of stressful things have happened since then so I just never quite made it back on.

I was amazed that the content kept coming and coming and was thinking about popping in to check it out.

I guess I will have to pop in pretty soon...I'll keep an eye out for US player events and try to join in then

indescribably
Jul 27, 2012, 07:22 PM
:\ Glad I had some of the experiences I did. Thought it would be one of those games, I could up and play for fun once in awhile -- but for it to completely over in all versions. 5 year period over. Lol. It was fun while it lasted...

spade88
Jul 27, 2012, 07:59 PM
|'v never been a fan of PSU, but you have to ask yourself is it possible to make a private server for PSU - if so problem solved...

EvilMag
Jul 27, 2012, 08:24 PM
It's possible but no one wants too.

Randomness
Jul 27, 2012, 08:38 PM
Wow. Didn't expect this. I kind of figured they'd go on for ages...

KoNeko1192
Jul 27, 2012, 08:51 PM
I am...very shocked to say the least.

I'm certainly going to miss the Gurhal System, that's for sure. If there is one thing I miss in PSO2, it's all of the expansive, beautiful lobbies that were hidden all over PSU.

It's probably for the best in the long run, but I'm very sad that the Japanese server had to be closed so soon.

Zari
Jul 27, 2012, 09:08 PM
I am surprised it is closing this early, I expected at least another year or so.

What also surprises me a little bit is that some people seem to have thought that it would still continue on for years past now. I mean, I could see this coming, just is happening a few months to a year earlier than I expected.

Anna_Wren
Jul 27, 2012, 09:21 PM
I suppose THIS is Microsoft's fault as well?

All the people saying that I was wrong when I said PSO2 would kill all of PSU extremely fast.
To top it all off, Cash shop didn't save PSU one lick.

Looks like PSUJP gets a scant 20 days past Xbox, hope you enjoy it.
Maybe, and I doubt it, Japan will be nice and give you a final event like 360 had with free cash shop stuff.

EvilMag
Jul 27, 2012, 09:22 PM

All the people saying that I was wrong when I said PSO2 would kill all of PSU extremely fast.

Maybe, and I doubt it, Japan will be nice and give you a final event like 360 had with free cash shop stuff.

Jp will be getting The 6th Anniversary Thanks Festa event.

Anna_Wren
Jul 27, 2012, 09:28 PM
With Free Cash shop stuff? Thats what 360 got.

Mystic_Nessly
Jul 27, 2012, 10:18 PM
What is this "free cash shop stuff?" I thought Xbox didn't have Guardian's Cash nor the items associated with it.

Lumpen Thingy
Jul 28, 2012, 12:18 AM
What is this "free cash shop stuff?" I thought Xbox didn't have Guardian's Cash nor the items associated with it.
We got GC weapons that are junk compared to what the JP server got so don't think it was anything special.

ZER0 DX
Jul 28, 2012, 02:02 AM
This is really depressing, I always kinda figured it would be around a lot longer than this. 6 years on 3 different servers and I still never accomplished everything I wanted to do. PSU holds a lot of nostalgia for me and it's really sad to see it go now for good. Yeah there's always the offline mode and the PSP games, but they're just not the same. PSU had quite a few things about it that made it stand out. The numerous and rather large lobbies compared to even PSO2 made for some nice places to hang out with friends and take in the sights, and 6 person parties were a great way to make sure you could run missions with more of your friends at once. I'm going to start recording a PSU mission world tour at some point just to have a nice memoir of the online game with some friends. I'm really gonna miss those holiday lobbies. Holy Light Festival (which played my favorite BGM in the game) and Fireworks lobbies on Neudaiz and Christmas on Moatoob were probably some of the most beautiful looking things in the game. It's a shame PSO2 doesn't have a city like that where you can just enjoy the atmosphere, everything is all closed up on a small ship like Clyez City and it's kinda bland looking. Also going to miss the music. Some of the tracks (especially the orchestral ones) were really awesome to listen to. I do enjoy the hell out of PSO2, way more fun than I could have ever expected, but there's just some things about PSU that it cannot replace and I can't help but think back on everything we'll have lost. Watching this game shut down 3 times now after putting a lot of time into every platform is going to be pretty hard to take in.

Oh well, it had a good run, just a shame there's no private server to keep the game running for those that want to keep playing. Infinity is the closest thing left to online PSU now and who knows how much longer that's going to last.

Tyreek
Jul 28, 2012, 02:24 AM
I must say that this is truly the irony of all things that came to pass. The Phantasy Star Universe series is truly coming to an end. While there is still PSP1/2/2i, and even the offline modes to the originals to hold on to, there was still the online experience that we shared and loved. While I unfortunately had to cut my JP experience short due to a horrific internet connection, I still kept up with it, to see the potential it had to offer.

I will never forget this series, despite the bad rap that emerged from its creation since day 1, I loved it. This game is a testament to good memories, lessons learned, and more importantly, friends.

Totori
Jul 28, 2012, 02:36 AM

Actually that's not true, the Cash Shop did help, you see; it did what most cash shops are for it brought in money and due to SEGA seeing how much the users were willing to spend on those types of items, helped them decided about AC for PSO2.

PSU was just really outdated, this is only for the best. More focus onto PSO2 and other projects to come! Also SEGA did talk about focusing on digital and free-to-play content.

The 360 version got some of the GC items, but from what I seen and heard it wasn't exactly the same content. So the 360 kinda of got the short end of the stick.

DeathDragon2332
Jul 28, 2012, 02:52 AM
So I accepted this but now a "certain private server" is not going to continue production so PSU is dead on all systems and possible servers wtf ><

bloodflowers
Jul 28, 2012, 03:43 AM
That's a shame, I was planning to idly play PSU JP a bit if I can get my laptop fixed when the 360 servers close, not really much point now. They're very eager to ram PSO2 down everyone's throats to get that cash shop model generating money I guess.

EvilMag
Jul 28, 2012, 06:12 AM
So I accepted this but now a "certain private server" is not going to continue production so PSU is dead on all systems and possible servers wtf ><

I wish he would just give the code to someone else. I know I could play PSP2i for my PSU fix but thats not the same. It doesn't get anymore DLC and I don't think if will even last long.

Macman
Jul 28, 2012, 08:54 AM
I wish he would just give the code to someone else.
It's open source. You can download it yourself. Nobody wants to put the effort in, though.

Selphea
Jul 28, 2012, 10:33 AM
Funny thing, PSO2 has more potential but it's still not mature enough to hold interest for long at this point IMO.

They should keep PSU around until around 1 year after PSO2's launch to let the newer game build up content, and also to do justice to the people who spent on GC since that doesn't transfer over to PSO2.

I never spent a single cent on GC, myself, but I feel bad for the people who did. Good thing I quit early =p

I'll probably stay on C9 until the Fall update for PSO2. Then I'll see whether to main GW2 or PSO2. Or maybe stay on C9 till Neverwinter. So many options :O

And Keilyn, PSO2 is free to play.

Subject Delta
Jul 28, 2012, 10:54 AM
It is the end of the universe as we know it.....

.Rusty.
Jul 28, 2012, 11:54 AM
Sega’s money problems must be geting pretty bad :l

MoonlightMyau
Jul 28, 2012, 02:48 PM
I actually half expected this, so I didn't put much effort into my JP characters. I do feel bad for the PSU fans who were planning to/had moved to the JP PC servers though.

Free cash shop stuff? :-? You mean the re-skinned weapons that people pay $10 a month for?

Finalzone
Jul 28, 2012, 03:17 PM
Not that surprising at all. When I played Phantasy Star Online 2 since its closed beta inception, I found myself not playing Phantasy Star Universe series (excluding Portable version which i never own a PSP) anymore. PSO2 brought the best elements of PSU and PSO to make them better.
I presume most Japanese players after trying PSO2 will hardly play PSU because they will not find any reason to continue. Sega of Japan decision is due mainly business because they are no reason to maintain the outdated PSU which exposed the bad management of the company on oversea market (except maybe XBox 360). SoJ seems to attempt to redeem themselves to fanbase and customers. I will not be surprised SoJ is taking lessons from the success of Final Fantasy XI series which is in its 10th years of operation.

Mute City
Jul 28, 2012, 03:49 PM
http://gallery1.anivide.com/_full/44330_1319824585.jpg

SpikeOtacon
Jul 28, 2012, 03:54 PM
It's about time they buried it for good.

Ezodagrom
Jul 28, 2012, 05:13 PM
The shutdown is understandable, in less than 1 month PSO2 got alot more users registered than PSU in all of its lifetime, while PSO2 has reached over 700 thousand registered users, PSU JP barely reached 250 thousand, even after becoming free to play.

Subject Delta
Jul 28, 2012, 06:25 PM
The shutdown is understandable, in less than 1 month PSO2 got alot more users registered than PSU in all of its lifetime, while PSO2 has reached over 700 thousand registered users, PSU JP barely reached 250 thousand, even after becoming free to play.

I am sorry but that 700 thousand number is not realistic I have made 6 accounts myself just trying to get into the alphas / betas

Darki
Jul 28, 2012, 11:41 PM
I... Feel like something broke down somewhere in my mind. I never though this news would affect me, but I've realized that I held this game dearly, even with all the flaws and SEGA's apparent quest for making the worst possible game from the great concept it was. I guess it's because it had been my favorite game and boredom-killer since I started my "hardcore gaming" life.

I didn't play regularly since last summer, neither did my girlfriend although I think she would have played more if it wasn't for my lack of interest. But I always knew I had it there and I could go back to my characters and make an enjoyable run and get myself into the features I loved of the game, at least until I noticed again the little flaws that started building up since the thrill of the new game wore off and made playing this game a bittersweet experience.

I know I'm going to miss the areas, my weapons of choice and all the time I spent developing some sort of personality for them, specially my CAST Darkie Peanuts and my beast Aura. I'm sad I couldn't reach two of my main goals, which were getting a GX490 and capping my Aura's GAS, but I think after my holidays when I'm back home and with my main computer I'm going to pick my account back, do every mission again with my girlfriend taking millions of screens of everything with my two mains and get them pretty with all the outfits I've ever liked, to give them a nice good-bye. I might even make a couple desktop backgrounds or something so I never forget the good times I spent there.

It almost feels as if I was saying good-bye to an old friend, and damnit, I'm sad. I hate SEGA the more now for crapping this game now that I've realized. I hope they don't do the same with PSO2 or Sonic help me, I'm really going to go to SoJ HQs and put a bomb there.

Keilyn
Jul 29, 2012, 12:50 AM
Funny thing, PSO2 has more potential but it's still not mature enough to hold interest for long at this point IMO.

They should keep PSU around until around 1 year after PSO2's launch to let the newer game build up content, and also to do justice to the people who spent on GC since that doesn't transfer over to PSO2.

I never spent a single cent on GC, myself, but I feel bad for the people who did. Good thing I quit early =p

I'll probably stay on C9 until the Fall update for PSO2. Then I'll see whether to main GW2 or PSO2. Or maybe stay on C9 till Neverwinter. So many options :O

And Keilyn, PSO2 is free to play.

Knowing my own blasted habits, if I do not get eaten by a bear, then you will probably see me in the different versions of the game. I wont be home until sep. 4th

@deathdragon

Since its a free game and I've been out of touch for a bit, chances are that I will play the different versions. I know the game will be big since is hitting tablets later.

DeathDragon2332
Jul 29, 2012, 11:40 AM
Knowing my own blasted habits, if I do not get eaten by a bear, then you will probably see me in the different versions of the game. I wont be home until sep. 4th

@deathdragon

Since its a free game and I've been out of touch for a bit, chances are that I will play the different versions. I know the game will be big since is hitting tablets later.

Yeah I know. I am still debating whether or not I am going to play PSO2 I don't know I just really can't get into it ><

NEXTEL CUP
Jul 29, 2012, 12:07 PM
After all the trolls making fun of USA PSU players for complaining the game was closing, this is poetic justice! LOL

And to the person who threatened to put a Bomb at JP headquarters. Your a spineless wierdo and you should be bannned from the forums. IF I knew you in real life I would call the police on you.

watashiwa
Jul 29, 2012, 12:21 PM
I like PSU. Just not enough to pay a monthly subscription (US ver) or play the free course in a language I can't understand (JP ver).

I'm actually sad that there won't be an online version of the game available to anybody anymore. I mean, sure, we can still get together with our friends and ADHOC it up on PSP2... but it's just not the same.

R.I.P., Phantasy Star Universe. *throws white flowers into it's grave* It'll definitely always have a place in my heart and I'll probably install the PC version to play it offline from time to time.

DeathDragon2332
Jul 29, 2012, 12:31 PM
After all the trolls making fun of USA PSU players for complaining the game was closing, this is poetic justice! LOL

And to the person who threatened to put a Bomb at JP headquarters. Your a spineless wierdo and you should be bannned from the forums. IF I knew you in real life I would call the police on you.

Are you fucking 5 years old dude? Who the hell would say oh ill call the police on you.

SpikeOtacon
Jul 29, 2012, 01:04 PM
Are you fucking 5 years old dude? Who the hell would say oh ill call the police on your.

I don't even know what the fuck I just read.

DeathDragon2332
Jul 29, 2012, 01:15 PM
This Nextel Cup guy is annoying.

DragonForce
Jul 29, 2012, 01:21 PM
Your a spineless wierdo and you should be bannned from the forums. IF I knew you in real life I would call the police on you.

This guy put three "n's" in banned. I think he means business. xD

Selphea
Jul 29, 2012, 01:37 PM
Yeah I know. I am still debating whether or not I am going to play PSO2 I don't know I just really can't get into it ><

I can't either =p Right now PSO2 has not enough techs, not enough weapon types, not enough customization - both in terms of costume and character build, not enough balance... not enough of everything to hold my interest. I felt the same way about PSU, until a little after AoTI

DeathDragon2332
Jul 29, 2012, 01:44 PM
I can't either =p Right now PSO2 has not enough techs, not enough weapon types, not enough customization - both in terms of costume and character build, not enough balance... not enough of everything to hold my interest. I felt the same way about PSU, until a little after AoTI

Yeah. I am trying to get on Psu but I am getting the error 62 are you getting the same? I haven't been on in a week or so but now I can't. I know it is for the wrong ID or something but I haven't changed anything. And I logged into my Sega ID fine and everything so it isn't hacked. I can't change the pass either since I copy and pasted the IE kanji and Kana first and last names lol which have changed since I made the account.

Darki
Jul 29, 2012, 02:12 PM

Yeah, you would call the police on me and what would you tell them? That you don't know the meaning of exaggeration and you wanted to pick a fight in a forums? But don't worry, you wouldn't know me in real life, I don't usually hang out with assholes.

Anyways, thanks for the weirdo part. If you're what's supposed to be normal I'd run away from it like it was the black plague.

DeathDragon2332
Jul 29, 2012, 03:58 PM
Yeah, you would call the police on me and what would you tell them? That you don't know the meaning of exaggeration and you wanted to pick a fight in a forums? But don't worry, you wouldn't know me in real life, I don't usually hang out with assholes.

Anyways, thanks for the weirdo part. If you're what's supposed to be normal I'd run away from it like it was the black plague.

Lolz at this ^

NEXTEL CUP
Jul 29, 2012, 07:13 PM
If you think threatening to blow people up is funny I feel sad for you. Obviously you haven't experianced enough of life to value it, or haven't entered the reak world yet and had it put you in yout place.

DeathDragon2332
Jul 29, 2012, 07:25 PM
How about you try and spell a sentence correctly xD

DragonForce
Jul 29, 2012, 08:00 PM
Don't be so hard on him guys. Rednecks are people too! *coughnascarforhisnamecough*

We love you nextel! So wudja think about jimmie johnson's win? :)))

Lumpen Thingy
Jul 29, 2012, 08:04 PM
If you think threatening to blow people up is funny I feel sad for you. Obviously you haven't experianced enough of life to value it, or haven't entered the reak world yet and had it put you in yout place.
reak lol

Selphea
Jul 29, 2012, 08:34 PM
Yeah. I am trying to get on Psu but I am getting the error 62 are you getting the same? I haven't been on in a week or so but now I can't. I know it is for the wrong ID or something but I haven't changed anything. And I logged into my Sega ID fine and everything so it isn't hacked. I can't change the pass either since I copy and pasted the IE kanji and Kana first and last names lol which have changed since I made the account.

Mine's working fine o.o

And you don't need your first/last name to change your password. Check my attachment for a password changing guide.

DeathDragon2332
Jul 29, 2012, 09:08 PM
When I go there it says PSU ID then name(Kanji) then Email

:Edit ok so I can't seem to find the right password reset lmao I found my Sega ID reset and something else but not PSUs lol yes I am retarded at the moment :P

Edit2:Ok so I was either hacked or Sega deleted my account lmao whatever.

Keilyn
Jul 30, 2012, 12:29 AM

When I return home we can have fun in psu and pso2 if you want. The thing to these games is that they are meant to be shared its friends. If you play alone too much I find it better to go through single player games.

There are a lot of epic fail games on tablets and some good ones, but if SEGA is releasing under iOS and android this game along with vita where tablet processing power is due to match or beat out laptops next generation under the same price, we can truly see under a free game having millions.

Remember that worlds of Warcraft had millions but failed to move on to tablets, this caused action games like dragon nest which has a B-rating in my book to score across its platforms had 65 million players.

Many players makes it for decent economies, but it still makes me wonder what direction SEGA will take. I wonder if it will take the FFXI route where me jobs are introduced and players start each job from level one after reaching conditions in other jobs.

Darki
Jul 30, 2012, 03:16 AM

Oh my god, I didn't know you were so sensible about this. I see now that I should have held my words. Of course even exaggerating about this is a serious offense. I can't even imagine what would happen if I had been somebody who actually played a game where you could go around with a shotgun, a rifle or even a grenade launcher shooting innocent creatures or even people to death. Or even claiming to be the best at a class where one of your masteries would be to put bombs to poison or set ablaze said creatures or human beings and leave them to die a horrible death.

Oh, wait-

Keilyn
Jul 30, 2012, 07:18 AM
Oh hush and drop it.

Games like this spawn insult, morbid and twisted humor that come with the territotory, specially forum boards. This is part of the fun. I mean, ever played a shooter in which your friends an you joke about death an destruction while kindly blowing each other up? I have and it's great every single time.

I don't get it, you can play the original unreal tournament and the bots will say "Die Bitch" after killing you, but today's generation complains and are tamer than the last and here we are talking about police stations and bombs....like anyone needs to be politically correct in gaming forums games that have women going around with wands an rods comitting arson against all enemies and calling it cute.

zemog
Jul 30, 2012, 07:58 AM
Even though I'm returning to this site to start something new (PSO2), I have very fond memories of my short time in PSU and this is sad news indeed.

Demon-
Jul 30, 2012, 08:53 AM
Well this seems a bit soon considering how long PSOBB ran in Japan after PSU was released. Are they going to raise the level cap to 200 finally?

DeathDragon2332
Jul 30, 2012, 09:12 AM
When I return home we can have fun in psu and pso2 if you want. The thing to these games is that they are meant to be shared its friends. If you play alone too much I find it better to go through single player games.

There are a lot of epic fail games on tablets and some good ones, but if SEGA is releasing under iOS and android this game along with vita where tablet processing power is due to match or beat out laptops next generation under the same price, we can truly see under a free game having millions.

Remember that worlds of Warcraft had millions but failed to move on to tablets, this caused action games like dragon nest which has a B-rating in my book to score across its platforms had 65 million players.

Many players makes it for decent economies, but it still makes me wonder what direction SEGA will take. I wonder if it will take the FFXI route where me jobs are introduced and players start each job from level one after reaching conditions in other jobs.

Yosh! but it must be PSO2 seeing as my PSU account is no longer active not sure what happen but my pass and ID are not working and I am getting error 62 so theres 800 hours out the window. So I await your return sir ^_^

The Knightwolf
Jul 30, 2012, 01:33 PM
Best news I've heard since they made the decision to shut down the US servers. Frankly, PSU is that "old horse that needs to be put down". It's been that way for years now, yet some people think this is some sort of sad news. I'll tell ya what's sad, desperately clinging so hard to a game that you need to play it "out of your region" to feel like you get the most out of it. What's sad is the game has been out WELL over 6 years now and Sega of JPN couldn't even finish the game on THEIR end of the planet, let alone the total screw job we got over here in the US. Granted, PSU had it's good moments and I enjoyed the time I spent on it, but I let it go about a year prior to the PS2/PC servers getting dropped.

Case in point: Glad it's finally dying, it needed to be done sooner, looking forward to the future on the US version of PSO2.

blazingsonic
Jul 30, 2012, 04:46 PM
I half way agree with that.

Selphea
Jul 31, 2012, 04:43 AM
Can't say I feel sad or happy as much as I feel old. I've played through PS4 on Genesis, seen the birth and death of PSO and now PSU too. I have a feeling I'll still be enough of a gamer to see PSO2's end as well.

Anyway, I quit JP sometime last year but I guess I'll play a bit after they give everyone free Premium Course on the 30th of August. Sure is going to be strange seeing a PSU server die... again. So far PSU's my favorite in the series, but I'm sure PSO2 will take its place in due time.

Arika
Jul 31, 2012, 10:03 AM
There are probably many people who couldn't get the stuff they wanted in game til the end.
If I were SoJ, I would allow every players to get what they want on the last day at least. Says... if they could give drop rate x 100 during the last week. it would make the ending much better. ;)

metatime
Jul 31, 2012, 12:39 PM
Isn't there a F2P version of this? Is that still going or is that going to be shutdown too?

Mystic_Nessly
Jul 31, 2012, 01:20 PM
Isn't there a F2P version of this? Is that still going or is that going to be shutdown too?
The Japanese version is the free to play version. ^^;

ZcRaider
Jul 31, 2012, 09:19 PM
How interesting. From reading the begin to current of this post...many people seem surprized about the unfortunate and eventual demise of PSU.

To tell you the truth, im .... surprised... that so many people are....surprised.....

*Cue Sega Theme Music.

I'm not gonna say too much.... I tend to ramble on about how sega fails at financial and even ETHICAL decisions.

My best guess is that sega is going all or nothing with PSO2, hoping they get a decent poker hand this time around.

If only they knew how to fold from a few of those deadly raises...

Well, im chulking this up to an early 2min epic silence for those who are still playing PSU. Glad i quit that game due to content lag 2 - 3 years ago.

*Cue Trumpets"

[SPOILER-BOX]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19yjoUfbZtw&feature=fvwrel[/SPOILER-BOX]

:beer:

Squall179
Aug 1, 2012, 12:18 PM
You were a good game, Phantasy Star Universe.....I have a lot of good memories playing you.

Good night, my friend, and goodbye.

AnonymousHat00
Aug 2, 2012, 04:13 AM
wo both. i think its funny. all the people that moved to the JP server guess it was for nothing huh.

oh well im getting rid of all ties i have to psu.

Nicktendonick
Aug 2, 2012, 09:59 PM
It's sad to see this game officially go. I do hope that the fans get the PC version hacked and private servers come up. I would love to try my guy once again and relive those memories.

Sadly, PSO2 will probably overtake it in the future. But, well, I suppose that's life. I just hope that in the future, we can see the whole story and play it. I'm still kinda sad I never got to play PSU episode 3.

Though, who knows, if there's enough of a outpouring, they may extend it again, like they did with Demons's Souls for PS3 (fun but sadistic game BTW).

Sinue_v2
Aug 2, 2012, 11:00 PM
*Cue Trumpets"

http://dennisthepeasant.typepad.com/dennis_the_peasant/images/2007/04/02/pajamas_media_ass_trumpets.jpg

Keilyn
Aug 3, 2012, 12:11 AM
http://dennisthepeasant.typepad.com/dennis_the_peasant/images/2007/04/02/pajamas_media_ass_trumpets.jpg

Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?

Eternum
Aug 3, 2012, 02:21 PM
To tell you the truth, im .... surprised... that so many people are....surprised.....

*Cue Sega Theme Music.

I'm not gonna say too much.... I tend to ramble on about how sega fails at financial and even ETHICAL decisions.

My best guess is that sega is going all or nothing with PSO2, hoping they get a decent poker hand this time around.

If only they knew how to fold from a few of those deadly raises...

Considering that I can still find Ragnarok Online (official) these days, I really don't understand Sega's business sense myself. All I can figure is that they're too exclusive for their own good.

voodlar
Aug 4, 2012, 12:23 PM
Wow! I quit years ago when the American PC servers were shut down. This is NOT an "aha - it happened to you response". Quite the contrary. This event marks the end of an awesome game and is a very sad thing!

When I look at all of the hours of entertainment PSU gave me, there is no single game that I have played / owned that I would say was better. To me, the price was negligible.

I have no wish to learn Japanese at my age (and never did) so I will wait with eager anticipation for the US release of PSO2. If it is half as good as PSU was, then I will be extremely happy. From what I hear, it's better?!?! Then all I can say is: "Excellent! I'll be online with it as soon as I can!"

Mystil
Aug 6, 2012, 05:01 PM
Half as good? My dear friend, it is better.

the sega shop
Aug 11, 2012, 04:45 AM
So when the free course players ( jp pc ) get full access to the game later this month does that mean that FC players can also play offline modes?

Can't even imagine not being able to hang out in my fav lobbies anymore!!

Clessy
Aug 11, 2012, 12:42 PM
I knew it was a waste of time for all you people who where 360 uses to bother switching. Glad I didnt give a damn enough to care.

Midori Oku
Aug 12, 2012, 10:30 AM

That's debatable, since it comes down to a matter of opinion. I honestly like PSU better.

EvilMag
Aug 12, 2012, 11:07 AM
I like how all the PSO nostalgia people came in this thread celebrating that PSU is going down.

Stay classy PSOW.

DeathDragon2332
Aug 12, 2012, 01:00 PM
Yeah same I think PSU is better as well.

Kimil Adrayne
Aug 12, 2012, 05:31 PM
Just you wait, 6 years from now will bring PSU2. So long Beasts, until we meet again.

DeathDragon2332
Aug 12, 2012, 06:00 PM
Yeah I am hoping for PSU2 in the future as well ^_^

Keilyn
Aug 12, 2012, 09:16 PM
Count me in

I loved psu far more than PSO. Doesnt mean I wont play pso2, but i liked having beasts around...

I just wish we had a mature version of phantasy star. Not the entire super serious backdrop that translates to crappy coming of age stories.

ZER0 DX
Aug 15, 2012, 01:34 AM
Still need to cap my last 2 classes (Fortetecher and Masterforce) and finish GASing my main class Fighgunner. I also want to run a mission world tour on the highest difficulty for each one and record the entire thing before it's all over. Getting a party together for it all may be a bit tough though considering how bad the player base has dwindled. I'd like to get my usual group together but that's probably not likely to be happening. Not to mention my work schedule keeps me booked on the weekends limiting my play time to only Monday - Wednesday.

I really want to feel like I've done everything possible in this game before it's finally over. Something that I rarely get a chance to do. I failed to do so on the local PC servers, I really don't want to miss out on that opportunity again.

I'm really gonna miss walking around the various scenic lobbies the most though, which is something PSO2 is lacking. Sure you can stand around in a field mission, but then you have to worry about being attacked by random enemy spawns or the sudden bolt of lightning if it rains. There's no midpoint safe zone to just stop and chill out at. Holy Light Festival and Fireworks on Neudaiz, Halloween, Native Creature Festival, and Christmas on Moatoob, Falz Memorial, Paracabana Coast, Foran Waterfall, Kugo Hot Springs, Agata Islands, Habirao Forbidden Village District, Vio Tonga, and even the Raffon Lakeshore were some of the most memorable places. I'm legitimately going to miss walking around the various hub cities, especially Neudaiz. PSO2's main lobbies seem way too small and compact, which isn't a bad thing per se considering it eliminates the whole problem PSU had of every area being pretty much devoid of players because everyone was somewhere different, but it definitely lacks the variety it had. It's kind of a shame considering how much I enjoy PSO2's gameplay, but the aesthetics between the two games are completely different.

Lumpen Thingy
Aug 15, 2012, 01:48 AM
this for sure...as much as I enjoyed PSU I think its time to move on and play PSO2 I just miss how the pas leveled in PSU(sort of)

Ce'Nedra
Aug 15, 2012, 05:16 AM
Never got to play PSU much online on either servers but I was good fun when I did. Though I don't see a PSU2 happen, I think they should let the PSU series die out with Infinity. PSO2 is kinda mixed best parts of PSU into PSO as far I can see so its not truely gone.

EvilMag
Aug 15, 2012, 09:25 AM
Still need to cap my last 2 classes (Fortetecher and Masterforce) and finish GASing my main class Fighgunner. I also want to run a mission world tour on the highest difficulty for each one and record the entire thing before it's all over. Getting a party together for it all may be a bit tough though considering how bad the player base has dwindled. I'd like to get my usual group together but that's probably not likely to be happening. Not to mention my work schedule keeps me booked on the weekends limiting my play time to only Monday - Wednesday.

I really want to feel like I've done everything possible in this game before it's finally over. Something that I rarely get a chance to do. I failed to do so on the local PC servers, I really don't want to miss out on that opportunity again.

I'm really gonna miss walking around the various scenic lobbies the most though, which is something PSO2 is lacking. Sure you can stand around in a field mission, but then you have to worry about being attacked by random enemy spawns or the sudden bolt of lightning if it rains. There's no midpoint safe zone to just stop and chill out at. Holy Light Festival and Fireworks on Neudaiz, Halloween, Native Creature Festival, and Christmas on Moatoob, Falz Memorial, Paracabana Coast, Foran Waterfall, Kugo Hot Springs, Agata Islands, Habirao Forbidden Village District, Vio Tonga, and even the Raffon Lakeshore were some of the most memorable places. I'm legitimately going to miss walking around the various hub cities, especially Neudaiz. PSO2's main lobbies seem way too small and compact, which isn't a bad thing per se considering it eliminates the whole problem PSU had of every area being pretty much devoid of players because everyone was somewhere different, but it definitely lacks the variety it had. It's kind of a shame considering how much I enjoy PSO2's gameplay, but the aesthetics between the two games are completely different.
I'll join your mission tour. O:

▲➌〇N
Aug 15, 2012, 12:32 PM
I'll join your mission tour. O:

ill join too if have anything left by then

OldCoot
Aug 16, 2012, 03:40 PM

Kind of shocking...

I agree. I figured sooner or later PSU JP had to end as well. I thought it would last another year but apparently Sega has other plans. Maybe totally focus all their resources on PSO 2?

Anyway I had fun and met some good friends though the game. Time to save the universe with other titles.

R.I.P PSU.

DAMASCUS
Aug 23, 2012, 09:08 PM
Given that JP PSU is in its final month I'm going to try and pop-in here and there.

Hopefully we can have little events to get people together one last time.

It would be nice if PSO2 came to PS3 so that it was at least more accessible to more people. I would be super stoked if that happened. Otherwise, that VITA...

SuKKrl
Sep 2, 2012, 02:14 AM
That was some interesting piece of news for me. I had to forcefully leave the game (jp) due to work and travel 2 years ago and I couldn't get back when I tried to, but the feeling that I had to go back never went away. In the end I decided to try again in early 2012 and... PSO2 came.

I thought I wouldn't feel much if such a thing happened as I had been away for so long that it seemed to be something lost in the distant past. It is not the first online game I've had to witness closing down nor will it be the last, but in the end I decided to log in the game again as my farewell to it.

I didn't need even a single minute to start getting the feeling you lost something that was more important to you than you had taken notice of. A look at my player card list was the toughest moment, it made me remember all the good times I spent with them. Some more, some less, some... I can't remember but the ones I do all make me recall great memories.

PSU jp was a game where I didn't have anyone annoying to blacklist, a game where I met a lot of helpful people who got me prepared in a server which I couldn't understand everything and in a game I was still relatively new in the US server. With some tips I got better and managed to learn enough to play with Japanese players and progress and help in the way I could with some databases.

PSU isn't a brilliant game in terms of gameplay in my opinion. It is good but far from being perfect, but what made it special to me were the players, thank you all for the good time and I hope to see you again in PSO2 someday.

Anon_Fire
Sep 3, 2012, 10:05 PM
Last chance, people.

Vintasticvin
Sep 3, 2012, 11:26 PM
=/ Smile y'all and don't mourn the death of the Universe Saga, cherish all the great memories forged and good along with the bad and regrettable moments :D If you have time to worry about it then RUN :P

dragoon-girl
Sep 4, 2012, 08:26 PM
Anyone know what time the shut down is in GMT? I'm also guessing it'll be at the start of the 27th not the end, right?

Scejntjynahl
Sep 4, 2012, 09:17 PM
Good ole psu, I stopped ever since PS2 closed its doors to me. I feel sympathy for you xblox players. Hopefully youll feed that fix with pso2 if you havent already. But its a different animal all together.

dragoon-girl
Sep 14, 2012, 10:24 AM
Anyone know what time the shut down is in GMT? I'm also guessing it'll be at the start of the 27th not the end, right?

I guess no ones sure.. so far I have it down as 4pm GMT on the 26th, I really hope it does mean the start of the day because I have an appointment 4pm on the 27th... x_x;; I really need to be able to record this... I have a good bye PSU video set up, which is mostly sceenshots of my time on PSU, US servers mostly.. I have some JP images in there, but I didn't play a lot on JP.. I'd kinda wanted to do a video with my screenshots for awhile and this felt like a good time, it's got to end with the JP shut down... my choice of music is World with me, because of the lyrics.. "Because nothings going to last forever" :< but yeah.. it's pretty much an abridged account of my time with PSU in screenshots.. makes me sad.

darekatano
Sep 14, 2012, 11:07 AM
According to this post (http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?418881-JP-PSU-Shutting-Down&p=7472781&viewfull=1#post7472781) it's 24:00 JST on Sep 27. That would be 3PM GMT (or 4PM BST) Sept 27.

Huntchez
Sep 14, 2012, 06:18 PM
Ah, Foie.

I knew PSU wasn't going to last forever, but this was quite fast..

Looks like I have no choice but to Shifta to Phantasy Star Online 2, and Megid all about Phantasy Star Megiverse.

Of course, I can learn japanese and celebrate by Jellen and Diga into an Ice Cream Zonde.

This is BARTA!!

Sorry, can't give these puns a Resta, mainly because I ALWAYS used these puns exclusively for PSU..

D:

dragoon-girl
Sep 14, 2012, 07:43 PM
According to this post (http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?418881-JP-PSU-Shutting-Down&p=7472781&viewfull=1#post7472781) it's 24:00 JST on Sep 27. That would be 3PM GMT (or 4PM BST) Sept 27.

Ah.. um... ah.... this is awkward... ; ;
I would guess the 24:00 would mean the 24th hour of the 27th so at the end of the 27th rather than the start... or are they just going to be weird..

Seriously, I've been caught like this before.. I hate midnight, this thing said it'd be ending at midnight on a date so I figured end of that day but NO they meant the start of the day. >_<

Mystic_Nessly
Sep 15, 2012, 01:27 PM
Ah.. um... ah.... this is awkward... ; ;
I would guess the 24:00 would mean the 24th hour of the 27th so at the end of the 27th rather than the start... or are they just going to be weird..

Seriously, I've been caught like this before.. I hate midnight, this thing said it'd be ending at midnight on a date so I figured end of that day but NO they meant the start of the day. >_<
Haha I know what you mean. For this very reason, I see many people use 11:59PM instead of midnight. 12:00 AM (24:00) seems to cause lots of confusion.

The 24th hour is midnight. The servers will close at midnight on the 27th (Japan time).

For those in the US, the closure time on Thursday will be:
8AM Pacific
9AM Mountain
10AM Central
11AM Eastern

Proto07
Sep 15, 2012, 01:29 PM
Eh I'm not even sure if I want to reinstall PSU JP. 360 is where I spent most of my days. Sad month.

Mystic_Nessly
Sep 15, 2012, 01:58 PM
Eh I'm not even sure if I want to reinstall PSU JP. 360 is where I spent most of my days. Sad month.
You still have a solid 2 weeks to get some good sessions in. I say go for it.

The best items in the game are dropping from the event. There is boosted PA exp from all missions, double amp, UNLIMITED rare missions (excellent for capping those classes or trying out new setups), and premium access for all!

NOW'S THE TIME TO FINISH OFF WITH A BLAST!

Besides, it's been very lonely here the last couple months. :-?

NEXTEL CUP
Sep 15, 2012, 05:20 PM
I can't believe Sega could not do the for the U.S. shutdown. With no PSO in my life I am getting close to going ad playing the Japanease PSO 2. Just can't get over having to jump through so many hoops for a game.

Lumpen Thingy
Sep 15, 2012, 09:26 PM
I can't believe Sega could not do the for the U.S. shutdown. With no PSO in my life I am getting close to going ad playing the Japanease PSO 2. Just can't get over having to jump through so many hoops for a game.

well considering there's a good amount of english players on PSO2 and an english patch what would really stop you?

NEXTEL CUP
Sep 15, 2012, 11:33 PM
I started playing PSO in High School. That proably gives you an idea how old I am. So basically I am trying to quit. How good is the patch? Is the English Patch really good.

Mystic_Nessly
Sep 16, 2012, 01:49 PM
I started playing PSO in High School. That proably gives you an idea how old I am. So basically I am trying to quit. How good is the patch? Is the English Patch really good.
The patch does an excellent job, but it isn't perfect. It translates about 85% of the game. Menus from missions/story aren't translated and neither are item names. Just about everything else is translated though.

There really aren't many obstacles in preventing English speakers from getting an account setup on PSO2. It's actually easier to do than making an account for JP PSU.

Personally, I'm waiting for the official English release. Just doesn't feel the same, plus the English community isn't all THAT big to be honest. ^^;

Ryno
Sep 17, 2012, 10:20 AM
sooo... 10 more days. we should all take a group PSOW photo at the end guys when it all shuts down just like PSU PC servers. :-)

Ryno
Sep 26, 2012, 11:26 PM
Hnmm it's now 1:15pm JST unless 12:00am on the 28th? Lol

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=248

Karen Erra
Sep 27, 2012, 09:11 AM
So I'm gonna share my very last video from Phantasy Star Universe. It's a last run in the event mission Protectors v with Miray and Tene and also my last goodbye to a good old time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT-S-FcHpPE&feature=plcp

Titan
Sep 27, 2012, 10:04 AM
Bye bye, servers just went offline forever right now.

Nai_Calus
Sep 27, 2012, 10:04 AM
And thus it ends. Got my main to L176 a few minutes before the cutoff, heh, then went over to Falz memorial and stood there with the crowd until the server cut.

Bye, PSU. Had some fun with you. Haven't played you in well over a year, but I'm glad I was there at the end. :)

Cranberry
Sep 27, 2012, 10:09 AM
My final picture from JP PSU!

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpeg/42815346a3de8b2af6351aacb9b94d2551828cb.jpg

CyberNei
Sep 27, 2012, 10:23 AM
Whew, came back from work right in time to get on last 15 minutes of PSU. Well, rest in peace Phantasy Star Universe. You were a good game.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q237/cycek2006/psu20120927_180000_001.png

EvilMag
Sep 27, 2012, 10:24 AM
http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q585/EvilMag123/end.png
Good bye Phantasy Star Universe...

Nai_Calus
Sep 27, 2012, 10:31 AM
Obligatory pictures:

http://www.iankunx.net/psujpend1.jpg
http://www.iankunx.net/psujpend.jpg

Cranberry
Sep 27, 2012, 11:05 AM
My Partner Machine's last meal!

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpeg/a1315e49aada84242404289f3a5249e524b9ca7.jpg
That's a Dark Flow if you can't read the text.

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpeg/91d15348a4d284201db9818f1dc1f0abef512e3.jpg
My Partner Machine liked it!

I have to say the shutdown was far less spammy than the english ones were. It didn't shound like machinegun fire this time.

the sega shop
Sep 27, 2012, 11:06 AM
I made my mind up a long time ago that I would be at the central table where it all began for me when the servers closed, I still remember running round there asking people where the missions were? lol

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/bl1ghty/FinalSwitchoff.jpg

Goodbye PSU

dragoon-girl
Sep 27, 2012, 11:20 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/dragoon-girl/PSU/AOI/PSU%20AOI%20JP/psu20120927_160010_024.jpg

Good bye PSU! (Video soon!)

EvilMag
Sep 27, 2012, 11:29 AM
Got videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA0qQA0-d5o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yq8yICCmS0

Arika
Sep 27, 2012, 11:45 AM
ah,,,memory >_<

Subject Delta
Sep 27, 2012, 11:52 AM
Its over. Thanks for the fun.

SuKKrl
Sep 27, 2012, 11:59 AM
I wasn't able to be there when it ended and had to afk through the last 4 hours which was pretty sad (also sorry for not answering any mails =( ), not the last moment I had in mind with this game, really wanted to do something special.

Happy to see some known faces earlier on though, makes me remember the good times I've spent there.

Now its time to try to control the nostalgia and move on.

Griffin
Sep 27, 2012, 12:10 PM
This thread is sad. Looks like I'll be experiencing the same thing when City of Heroes closes November. T T

Ryno
Sep 27, 2012, 01:26 PM
http://phantasystaruniverse.jp/home/

dragoon-girl
Sep 27, 2012, 01:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTO7tckkL28

SuKKrl
Sep 27, 2012, 04:02 PM
http://phantasystaruniverse.jp/home/

Its really sad to see the site closed. =(

I wonder about what is written on it. There is GC on the first banner which makes me wonder if its the conversion to pso2 (AC I guess) they were talking about a while ago.

Cranberry
Sep 27, 2012, 04:32 PM
Here' a Google Translate version of it. Obviously this is not a perfect translation but it gives a general indication of what it says:

Official site of operation PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSE Ambition Of the Illuminus

End of Life Notice "service ambition of" PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSE "" PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSE Illuminus

With Thursday, September 27, 2012, "PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSE" I was allowed to terminate the service of all.
Six years have passed since the release of August 31, 2006 of "PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSE". After great trouble early, such as the introduction of a billing system and optional free course, and the launch of "ambition of PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSE Iruminasu", also in twists and turns various bear thank you ever can love to many customers no.
I thank you from my heart I development, management staff to everyone.
Phantasy Star series is celebrating its 25th anniversary with December 2012.

"PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSE" will be terminated, but the feedback I received from everyone, thrive on request, to meet the expectations further development, Phantasy Star series will continue to walk in the future.
The memories that everyone got Goulart in the solar system, it does not disappear forever. I will make the Phantasy Star series Aratanaru well as our thoughts and also feelings are, and memories of everyone. Whether, to offer the support for many years to come in the future, thank you.
6 years, Thank you very much

September 27, 2012 (Thursday)
SEGA CORPORATION
Development "PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSE", staff management

And for the dimmed out button:

"Click here for the procedure of conversion and refund unused cache of Guardians (GC)"

So yes the button seems to have been related to handling leftover Guardian's cash, though it doesn't appear to be clickable.

Its really sad to see the site closed. =(

I wonder about what is written on it. There is GC on the first banner which makes me wonder if its the conversion to pso2 (AC I guess) they were talking about a while ago.

Inazuma
Sep 27, 2012, 05:36 PM
I guess we can expect a small boost in population for PSO2 now that PSU is shut down.

Even though I quit PSU the day Guardians Cash came out years ago, I am a bit sad to see it die. PSU is my most played game ever, at 8000 hours. It was extremely fun and enjoyable to me, and I have a lot of good memories from it.

Mike
Sep 27, 2012, 06:33 PM
Tweets from the PSU twitter account put the number of simulatneous connections at 4025 people. I wonder how many people were on in total.

"Click here for the procedure of conversion and refund unused cache of Guardians (GC)"

So yes the button seems to have been related to handling leftover Guardian's cash, though it doesn't appear to be clickable.
As the button says, this will become available on the 4th in Japan.

EvilMag
Sep 27, 2012, 06:35 PM
Tweets from the PSU twitter account put the humber of simulatneous connections at 4025 people. I wonder how many people were on in total.

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpeg/3de1584badd58d2549288ecf89b7df9478c9af9.jpg

Astrolunaire
Sep 28, 2012, 07:40 AM
PSU old Tribute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cULAZJ8DBSQ

Macman
Sep 28, 2012, 11:47 PM
Not even a farewell announcement on the PSO-W front page? Wow this game really did end in a whimper.

Tyreek
Sep 29, 2012, 12:52 AM
With this series at its end, I'll have to finish my story projects and complete this as my final tribute.

Cranberry
Sep 29, 2012, 01:30 AM
I too was hoping to see something on the front page. It would have been fitting for PSO-World to put something to acknowledge the final end of PSU service.

Not even a farewell announcement on the PSO-W front page? Wow this game really did end in a whimper.

Subject Delta
Sep 29, 2012, 09:46 AM
I too was hoping to see something on the front page. It would have been fitting for PSO-World to put something to acknowledge the final end of PSU service.

There will probably be one but like a month later. This site has really gone deep down into the shiter. I remember when this site actually had a good database for games and was the place to go to when you needed info.

SuKKrl
Sep 29, 2012, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the translation. ^^

Now got to make notes or I might forget about the GC conversion day.

EvilMag
Sep 29, 2012, 04:43 PM
There will probably be one but like a month later. This site has really gone deep down into the shiter. I remember when this site actually had a good database for games and was the place to go to when you needed info.

Hell they didn't even announce that the JP Vanilla PSP2 servers are shutting down.

Guess it isn't surprising that they don't post much about JP versions seeing how they've pretty much SoA's personal bitch.

Xenobia
Oct 3, 2012, 04:40 PM
It would be nice to release some sort of offline patch, so people can continue playing offline. But just to kill a entire game out of the blue sky is just way to typically for SEGA and i do not enjoy that mentality. Its kinda poor, that can be said for sure.

PSU will vanish forever, it wont even barely have the legendary smell of the best of all the PSO games ever released: The JP PSO EP 1+2 PLUS, which is still able to be used offline on a retro console and its still lot of joy just for the fun to smash some mobs once in a while. It didnt lose its legendary taste but PSU is like a particle burned into ashes, it was never truly big and will just vanish... all of a sudden like a burned particle. Sure i may sound blunt but its just how i feel.

Indeed i was playing PSU actively for 2-3 years in a row because i had guilds and friends so it was in some way still entertaining despite its lack in way to many areas and the constantly watered down condition of the Xbox version (i played). The other 2-3 years was rather passive but i was extremely busy in my life and PSU on Xbox had very few new content to offer. It was not holding the true fans back at all and they was telling stuff such as "PSU does not need updates" and what else, in order to raise theyr mood or simply to create the illusion in order to deliver maximum tolerance about a inacceptable condition. Microsoft made it extra hard to cancel subscriptions and until 2011 i was to lazy to cancel my account which of course ended into a total fee of 600$ for gametime i rarely used anymore. But Microsoft knew pretty exactly why they made it so hard to cancel subscriptions (credit cards, phone calls, answering questions), so it will have lesser users canceling it. So im not truly looking back with tears or sadness, but i just feel like i wasted potential and opportunitys to be more effective, and i wont do the same mistakens ever again, as we all may learn from mistakens.

Potential is actually the holy word when it comes to PSU. PSU had a sheer amount of open potential but only very few of its true potential has ever been used. Because it was close to perfect on the paper but it failed big time considering its execution, that can be said for almost any spot... no matter what kind of spot to look into.

However, i still consider it as a unique experience and it was able to bring my knowledge and skill as a gamer even further, that can be said for sure. The very last stuff i did was to hunt the ultimate weapon "Ely Sion"which was certainly a hard challenge and i was moaning and shouting at my friends in XBL a lot. At some point a guild friend of mine offered me to take his "Vijerina / Power" and at first i didnt want to accept, but after so many failed tryouts i asked for it. Not so much hours later i fiinally suceeded, so it was indeed of big help, and thats what friends are here for. When i did it i finally feelt like endless happiness and it was surely the most enjoyable experience on PSU. I made it on LV. 162 as far as i can remember, which was certainly challenging. At that point i said to me... most friends are inactive and i pretty much saw everything from the game, so i should stop playing it. In 2011 i took the phone... lot of shouting at a MS callgirl and finally i was done for. Thanks to all people supporting me in the "way of joyful experience".

So i simply say thanks for the experience and many of the fun moments, but in overall, the end was kinda to be expected and hopefully SEGA will be able to take over the good things to PSO2 but without taking over the countless of weak spots. The first step is already made by removing the "P2P" condition... grats on that.

About the new PSO2 i cant fully judge now, but it may not necessarely share the destiny of PSU because its a new system known as free to play, with some new sort of potential. The old (payment) system surely is not anymore suitable for PSO-series so the new system may be able to implement some critical changes.

SuKKrl
Oct 7, 2012, 01:25 AM
Just as a reminder to anyone who had GC left.

The GC to AC or Webmoney conversion page is up. Its a 1:1 rate with the exception of the minimum values. (Any 5GC left will turn into 10AC and any GC lower than 50 will be rounded to the closest 50 multiple value for Webmoney - if you have 35 GC it will turn into 40 AC and 50 Webmoney)

If you convert it into AC you get a Mag evolution device / Pete item which can only be obtained through this method.

The converted AC will be added to the game in December with the mag device code following that.

DeathDragon2332
Oct 7, 2012, 04:09 AM
Just as a reminder to anyone who had GC left.

The GC to AC or Webmoney conversion page is up. Its a 1:1 rate with the exception of the minimum values. (Any 5GC left will turn into 10AC and any GC lower than 50 will be rounded to the closest 50 multiple value for Webmoney - if you have 35 GC it will turn into 40 AC and 50 Webmoney)

If you convert it into AC you get a Mag evolution device / Pete item which can only be obtained through this method.

The converted AC will be added to the game in December with the mag device code following that.

Ha ha nice way of them getting some money out of you before they give you the AC you should get right away, What a joke.

Danny_Dark
Oct 20, 2012, 06:49 AM
So,...I Havent't Been Here For A While...
XBOX 360 And JP PSU Has Been Shutdown As Well...Oh My...

Sycho Soldier
Sep 13, 2013, 02:40 PM
i think that we should have showed them that we still loved psu...We should have fought the servers being shut down...I loved that game and since the day the xbox live psu servers were shut down....i just have been truly bored out of my mind....i need to find a way to be able to play the game online again....even if i have to try to find a way to get a private server going on the pc and just use my xbox controller i will do just that....i will have it done....who is with me???

Lumpen Thingy
Sep 13, 2013, 05:35 PM
i think that we should have showed them that we still loved psu...We should have fought the servers being shut down...I loved that game and since the day the xbox live psu servers were shut down....i just have been truly bored out of my mind....i need to find a way to be able to play the game online again....even if i have to try to find a way to get a private server going on the pc and just use my xbox controller i will do just that....i will have it done....who is with me???

please don't try what others don't give a shit about. the game is dead move on

▲➌〇N
Sep 24, 2013, 01:51 PM
please don't try what others don't give a shit about. the game is dead move on

what if we don't want to move on :p

Lumpen Thingy
Sep 24, 2013, 02:14 PM
what if we don't want to move on :p

than you're an idiot?

DeathDragon2332
Sep 24, 2013, 11:51 PM
than you're an idiot?

Why because they like the game? Kind of being an opinionated dick. There is no reason to move on because of the patch and yes quite a bit of work is already done.

Imjake
Sep 25, 2013, 01:49 AM
Lumpen Thingy = pathetic troll trying to be a badass on the internet

Jim
Sep 25, 2013, 02:03 AM

lol Yeahhh

[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.funnyjunk.com/imgrd/rd/pictures/51/db/51db69_4539102.jpg/[/SPOILER-BOX]

Topic Cheese
Sep 25, 2013, 02:04 AM

No, no. That's not the case here.

If he was a troll, he would have been banned long ago, considering his post count.

If anyone would be considered the troll, it'd be you.

My 2 cents.

Jim
Sep 25, 2013, 02:13 AM
No, no. That's not the case here.

If he was a troll, he would have been banned long ago, considering his post count.

If anyone would be considered the troll, it'd be you.

My 2 cents.

Lumpen was talking shit because the other guy was wishing PSU were still around on a forum dedicated entirely to PSU. Sounds pretty trollish to me. As a matter of fact, so does your post.

Topic Cheese
Sep 25, 2013, 02:59 AM
Lumpen was talking shit because the other guy was wishing PSU were still around on a forum dedicated entirely to PSU. Sounds pretty trollish to me. As a matter of fact, so does your post.

Oh. Didn't know that.

Disregard my *troll* post.

Jim
Sep 25, 2013, 04:48 AM
Oh. Didn't know that.

Disregard my *troll* post.

Haha glad we got it sorted out at least!

Lumpen Thingy
Sep 25, 2013, 08:19 PM
I think its cute that you guys took the time to talk about my trolling about retards wanting this dead game back.

DeathDragon2332
Sep 26, 2013, 06:07 AM
I think its cute that you guys took the time to talk about my trolling about retards wanting this dead game back.

And now they are retards? Man you are a fucking dick.

Subject Delta
Sep 26, 2013, 08:13 PM
And now they are retards? Man you are a fucking dick.

He has always been a little annoying fuck, even when the PSU servers were still up.

Lumpen Thingy
Sep 26, 2013, 09:27 PM
He has always been a little annoying fuck, even when the PSU servers were still up.

And you were always a pos elitist prick so what's your point?

Midori Oku
Nov 1, 2013, 02:32 PM
Man, look at what I've missed over the last two months of not coming to these forums. I've enjoyed reading this! It's always fun to read something that's pointless to fight about, so keep it up guys!