PDA

View Full Version : JP PSU Closing, GC to AC

redroses
Jul 27, 2012, 04:17 AM
I know this isn't PSO2 related (not much) but I thought it would be interesting to post here aswell, because not many people still check the PSU General section.

JP PSU will be closing on Sept. 27th.
http://phantasystaruniverse.jp/news/wis/?mode=view&id=1689

I find this quite shocking to be honest, because I never would've expected this, not so soon at least. It seems like they are putting all their man power into PSO2 now. I also guess that barely anybody still played because they moved to PSO2.

Anyway, for those that played PSU and bought GC, there is a note on the bottom saying that your GC on your PSU account can maybe be turned into AC. They will later announce how this might be possible. That would be quite interesting.

Goodbye PSU!

Resanoca
Jul 27, 2012, 04:20 AM
NO! MY STUFF! D:

Ce'Nedra
Jul 27, 2012, 04:25 AM
Wow never thought they would close it this fast as well...I thought they would keep it running for at least a few more years before shutting it down like with PSOBB.

Shame for everyone here who still plays it

Laguna
Jul 27, 2012, 04:34 AM
PSU... you will forever have a memory in my mind, you will be missed. :cry:

Blackheart521
Jul 27, 2012, 04:35 AM
Sucks for people who still play it but I must say, this is a very good sign for PSO2's future. ^^

drizzle
Jul 27, 2012, 04:54 AM
Shame for everyone here who still plays it

Yeah, both of them.

That's the 3rd PSU server I've played on being shut down :p
Oh well, PSU is dead, long live PSO2!

Stegodon
Jul 27, 2012, 05:00 AM
Ya its a bummer for any long term PSU players... However a tremendous opportunity for PSO2 with the company only supporting one title Hopefully this means PSO2 will be better then ever. This game has new content easily every month in some form. Most MMO's get a update like everyone 6 months at best. Im really excited to see what the future holds.

Enforcer MKV
Jul 27, 2012, 05:05 AM
NA PSU is closing in September, JP PSU is closing in September....

I think this is a bit of a positive note for both versions. JP is sure to be good. NA is still iffy, but considering the situation at Sega, I can see them doubling down.

CHARGE FORTH AND MAKE A BRIGHT FUTURE FOR EVERYONE, SEGA!

fay
Jul 27, 2012, 05:31 AM
My friend was on PSU yesterday. At peak time the servers were hitting half a star.

ShadowDragon28
Jul 27, 2012, 05:36 AM
PSU has long since been dead to me.

I only really miss my black w/ red trim Formal Coat, Tyrant Sparda swords, and my Darkness Wings, and those awesome Halloween jack-o-latern~ish Scarecrow decorations I had in my room.

FFS I'd LOVE to see Darkness Wings return in PSO2.

PrinceBrightstar
Jul 27, 2012, 05:47 AM
I never would have called this. This is a complete shock to me as well based on how they have handled the PS historically, however from a business perspective it makes sense. You want to push your customer onto the latest and greatest thing. It costs a ton of money to maintain a staff for two separate games, especially if there's nothing new of value in the older game coming out for plot points. Technically they didn't need to give us the supplemental updates. If I had to guess what Sakai was thinking, if PSO2 had remained on track for it's intended original release date, we wouldn't have seen many of those updates. The reason it did happen was because Sega wanted to hang onto their PC customer base until PSO2 was ready.

For lore purposes it looks like we'd better soak in any last little bits that we need to, specifically pertaining to Episode III if we don't have the sub-events documented. (I'm sure it's out there somewhere, but a double check wouldn't hurt.) Sega likely won't make that available offline. Everything else we do have access to however but it's also only a matter of time until the PSP2i goes down as well, probably a couple of months after PSO2 Vita comes out based on the timeline for this game.

From a community standpoint we probably should hold a few more get together events for those that are still playing on this server.

youcantcatchtheblue
Jul 27, 2012, 06:57 AM
Do we have any stats on the number of PSU's userbase?

I imagine it's pretty low since it's so old and didn't recieve very good ratings overall.

PSO2 must be like 100000x more popular right now