PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Would i be able to try PSO on this?

DPShiro
Jul 27, 2012, 09:51 AM
I hate PC gaming, i really, really do.

But if PSO2 don't make it consoles we might buy 2 PC's to hook up into our 2x 52" LCD's we usually have for gaming (Xbox 360's).

We only have Apple products at home, but i was thinking of trying to install bootcamp or whatever and try it on a MacBook Pro and see if it's worth it or not.

I don't know much about PC's /Hardware so i can't make out if this is too low or not;

Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Would be great if someone could give me answer, thanks.

jooozek
Jul 27, 2012, 10:07 AM
It should run well once you enable simple shader settings in some lower resolution (1280x720) as your graphic card is pretty bad. Don't worry about the low resolution, its the general Xbox360 resolution.

MrShoestore
Jul 27, 2012, 10:08 AM
Is that your MBP stats? then yes, well probably.

I run the game (on low settings mind you) on a boot camped MBP 2.6GHz Core 2 Duo 4Gb mem and GeForce 8600M GT 512mb. It can run it at the midrange graphics settings... but it is a bit slow and I'd rather have it look like a low res dreamcast game than be slow.

bryanbtje
Jul 27, 2012, 10:08 AM
Your specs look fine except for your graphics cards.

your graphics cards is below the minumum spes of pso2 by alot.
According to the pso2 site the minimum that you'll need is an NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT.

You could always try and see if it works.

EXPFULL
Jul 27, 2012, 10:12 AM
That setup might be ok, but the real question will be, will it drive you MENTAL at those settings.

I imagine it will do for a while, but if you're going to stick with the game, I'm sure you'll be looking at alternatives pretty fast!

jooozek
Jul 27, 2012, 10:13 AM
That setup might be ok, but the real question will be, will it drive you MENTAL at those settings.

I imagine it will do for a while, but if you're going to stick with the game, I'm sure you'll be looking at alternatives pretty fast!

Why will it drive him mental? All advanced shaders add for most is sperm over everything.

DPShiro
Jul 27, 2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the fast replies.
As i said, this would only be for testing the game and see if i find it worth buying 2 PC's for.

If so, they would be plugged into the TV's all the time and i would only play with a gamepad in the couch as we do on the 360's. But i've read that this is not meant for gamepads and not worth it unless playing kb+mouse -true?

jooozek
Jul 27, 2012, 10:19 AM
Hunter actually NEEDS a gamepad IMO and forces are totally playable with a gamepad, you can also play ranger with a gamepad but you will be highly inefficient.

Anon_Fire
Jul 27, 2012, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the fast replies.
As i said, this would only be for testing the game and see if i find it worth buying 2 PC's for.

If so, they would be plugged into the TV's all the time and i would only play with a gamepad in the couch as we do on the 360's. But i've read that this is not meant for gamepads and not worth it unless playing kb+mouse -true?

It supports both Gamepad and Keyboard+Mouse.

bryanbtje
Jul 27, 2012, 10:20 AM
You'd be suprised if you knew how many people here actually use gamepads
And with that i mean a lot.

I tried it a few times with my 360 controller but it's just not my thing, i'm more of the keyboard+mouse dude

Husq
Jul 27, 2012, 10:20 AM

Not true. Like most japanese PC game titles, see sega's other great game binary domain, this has decent gamepad support. If you have s 360 usb pad or the wireless adapter, that would work perfectly fine.

SZiadaN
Jul 27, 2012, 10:23 AM
Not true, the game works perfectly fine with gamepads (there's even built in support for xbox 360 gamepads). You will, however, want to have a keyboard as well (for typing).

Also, I've been using my MBP a bit as well, but my MBP is the last years version.. Either way, it works fine but the MBP will get hot.

Edit: lol, got ninja'd multiple times while typing :P

EvilMag
Jul 27, 2012, 10:23 AM
PSO2 has a UI for 360 controllers.

eharima
Jul 27, 2012, 11:50 AM
We only have Apple products at home, .

lol...

DPShiro
Jul 27, 2012, 11:54 AM
lol...

I was referring to computer-type-thingies if that was unclear.
MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Pro, 2x iPad etc.

Don't like PC's and never will, and since both my wife and i work with photography, graphic, design there is no way in hell i would replace them.

...But i might buy two just to play PSO2 if i get hooked after trying it.
Can't say i'm hyped anymore though, the colossal fiasco that was PSU has put us off playing another sega online game

eharima
Jul 27, 2012, 12:02 PM
I was referring to computer-type-thingies if that was unclear.
MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Pro, 2x iPad etc.
I know, thats why i was laughing, incase I wasnt clear.

Don't like PC's and never will, and since both my wife and i work with photography, graphic, design there is no way in hell i would replace them.
Right, because thats how hardware works... typical mac user.

...But i might buy two just to play PSO2 if i get hooked after trying it.
Can't say i'm hyped anymore though, the colossal fiasco that was PSU has put us off playing another sega online game
its not PSU, but thats an opinion, so will be the opinion if you like it or not.
you're prolly better waithing for the NA EU release tho.
cant say id imagine a mac user who 'hates PC' having a smooth ride setting up.

DPShiro
Jul 27, 2012, 12:09 PM
I know, thats why i was laughing, incase I wasnt clear.

Right, because thats how hardware works... typical mac user.

its not PSU, but thats an opinion, so will be the opinion if you like it or not.
you're prolly better waithing for the NA EU release tho.
cant say id imagine a mac user who 'hates PC' having a smooth ride setting up.

I didn't comment on how hardware works - we just prefer Mac's to PC.

And since we don't play on our computers, there is no need to have a PC.

Easier to understand now? ;)

My "hate" towards PC is the constant problems, blue screen, windows os, patches, viruses etc etc etc. But let's not turn this thread into a discussion about that shall we :)

If we start playing another sega online game it will be on JP servers. Can't stand another failure of localized content, or rather no content.

Thanks for your input!

Husq
Jul 27, 2012, 12:16 PM
Think there is a bit confusion here, unless you run windows, using bootcamp or virtual machine, on your macbook/intel based mac, the game will not run on your machine.

jooozek
Jul 27, 2012, 12:22 PM
Think there is a bit confusion here, unless you run windows, using bootcamp or virtual machine, on your macbook/intel based mac, the game will not run on your machine.

OP already stated in first post that he's going to need to use "bootcamp or whatever".

Yata The Prophet
Jul 27, 2012, 12:25 PM
Your specs look fine except for your graphics cards.

your graphics cards is below the minumum spes of pso2 by alot.
According to the pso2 site the minimum that you'll need is an NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT.
I am afraid to say he's right.
But it doesnt' hurt to try.
SEGA would probably give a slightly higher spec than expect people to run PSO2 on a very old PC.
Or Mac, in your case.

Husq
Jul 27, 2012, 01:07 PM
OP already stated in first post that he's going to need to use "bootcamp or whatever".

Ups, seems that I missed that bit, because of his rant about windows. Basically he has to run buy a windows copy if he want to play the game.

pikachief
Jul 27, 2012, 01:27 PM
Hunter actually NEEDS a gamepad IMO and forces are totally playable with a gamepad, you can also play ranger with a gamepad but you will be highly inefficient.

I play all 3 classes just fine with keyboard >.>

Sure hunter feels better and more natural with a gamepad, but I don't play any worse or have any less of an enjoyable experience with a keyboard. lol

Gama
Jul 27, 2012, 02:04 PM
i play as a force with a gamepad, when i need thirt person view i just use the analog to navigate and mouse to point and shoot.

Kylrad
Jul 27, 2012, 06:04 PM
You'd be suprised if you knew how many people here actually use gamepads
And with that i mean a lot.

I tried it a few times with my 360 controller but it's just not my thing, i'm more of the keyboard+mouse dude

Yea I'm with you on the K+M, playing a shooter with a gamepad makes me want to break stuff.

Back to the topic on hand, I play this on a 4 or 5 year old laptop on graphic setting 3 of 5.

these are my specs.

Core 2 Duo 2.26 ghz
4GB Ram
Geforce 9600m GS 1GB

mctastee
Jul 27, 2012, 06:23 PM
If you are planning on hooking it up to a 52" screen, it is safe to say things will not go well.

Ezodagrom
Jul 27, 2012, 06:27 PM
My "hate" towards PC is the constant problems, blue screen, windows os, patches, viruses etc etc etc.
About viruses, if someone gets a virus in a recent PC (with Windows 7), alot of the times it's because that person went to a shady website or downloaded something he shouldn't have (there are exceptions though).
A person that isn't much of a gamer won't really need to update drivers
About updates for windows (windows update), that's pretty much like title updates for consoles.
Nowadays blue screens will only happen if there's an hardware problem, this is not the Windows 95/98 days anymore.

Mystil
Jul 27, 2012, 07:25 PM
you can also play ranger with a gamepad but you will be highly inefficient.
Exactly how?

jooozek
Jul 27, 2012, 07:29 PM
Uh, weakspots aiming?

Mystil
Jul 27, 2012, 07:31 PM
Haven't had an issue with that yet :o

jooozek
Jul 27, 2012, 07:32 PM
Haven't had an issue with that yet :o

Now you are outright lying.

Mystil
Jul 27, 2012, 07:37 PM
I have no reason to lie. >_>

jooozek
Jul 27, 2012, 07:40 PM
If you don't know why you lie then I don't know either, what I know is that with how enemies strafe left/right and move back and forward there is no way for you to be efficient with a stick for aiming at small spots. Even if you use lockon, rockbears will just laugh at you.

Mystil
Jul 27, 2012, 07:49 PM
Perhaps I misunderstood then. Yeah I have trouble with that, and I learned to adjust to that and I miss my targets a lot less than I did before.

I haven't missed hitting rockbears. Infact, right now the only mob that is pissing me off is those wolf-things(Fongalfs??).

If I use the keyboard, I may as well not play ranger. What Im saying is, it will be the opposite for me. I'll play like shit with a keyboard.

spade88
Jul 27, 2012, 08:05 PM
Bought another computer, but was unsure if it would work for PSO2.

Would this build work:

- Intel i7 Quad Core 2820QM CPU
- 8GB of DDR3 10660 SO-DIMM RAM (also upgrade able)
- Windows 7 os
- NVidia GEForce GTX485M Video with 2GB of dedicated GDDR5 RAM

1TB external HD

ScottyMango
Jul 27, 2012, 08:37 PM
Now you are outright lying.

Are you seriously suggesting that people simply can't aim with controllers?

People have been aiming just dandy with controllers for almost 20 years. Is this really a new concept to you?

I do it just fine, as I have been for years and years. Using a mouse is only slightly more precise to me.

I noticed you're also the same person who tried to make Vol Dragon seem near-impossible to solo, arguing with those who disagreed. Do you really believe that everything you personally find difficult... is impossible to everyone else?

jooozek
Jul 27, 2012, 08:54 PM
Are you seriously suggesting that people simply can't aim with controllers?
There is a difference between aiming at huge boxes and small spots.

People have been aiming just dandy with controllers for almost 20 years. Is this really a new concept to you?
Do you really believe that your precision is the same of a mouse user? Don't be naive, seriously.

I do it just fine, as I have been for years and years. Using a mouse is only slightly more precise to me.
Maybe your hands are crippled then totally and only your thumbs function properly? Thats the only reason I could see why would someone be more precise with a gamepad than with a mouse.

I noticed you're also the person who tried to make Vol Dragon seem impossible to solo, arguing with those who disagreed. Do you really believe that everything you personally find difficult... is impossible to everyone else?
And for this, you should get some "reading with comprehension" lessons, for now re-read mine posts in that thread 10000 times, maybe that way you will get your stuff right.

ScottyMango
Jul 27, 2012, 09:04 PM
I think what you need to do is stop believing that everything you can't do is just impossible. Just because it's difficult for you doesn't mean that's the case with the everyone else. Not everyone feels the same about everything you do, as heart-breaking as that seems to be to you.

Besides, the hit boxes in PSO2 are so shit that mouse-precision is basically meaningless. You aim in the general direction and hope you hit what you're shooting for.

And when did I every say it was equal or more precise? No, I said I have minimal benefit from using a mouse when compared to a controller. Maybe you should work on your own reading comprehension?

jooozek
Jul 27, 2012, 09:12 PM
I think what you need to do is stop believing that everything you can't do is just impossible. Just because it's difficult for you doesn't mean that's the case with the everyone else. Not everyone feels the same about everything you do, as heart-breaking as that seems to be to you.
Just because you think you are efficient doesn't mean you are. For all I know all gamepad user's aim sucks ass, you can prove me wrong my recording yourself videos of playing ranger with a gamepad exlusively.

Besides, the hit boxes are so shit in PSO2 that mouse-precision is basically meaningless. You aim in the general direction and hope you hit what you're shooting for.
If by "hit boxes are so shit" you mean "man gamepads really suck I can't hit those gilnas gores nor the cores on spardans" then sure, they are shit for your gamepad.

And when did I every say it was equal or more precise? No, I said I have minimal benefit from using a mouse when compared to a controller. Maybe you should work on your own reading comprehension?
I really hate making shitty excuses but it's 4AM here and I'm seriously tired and my eyes are closing so that kinda slipped ya know. Human nature.

Needs more extrapolation.

ScottyMango
Jul 27, 2012, 09:20 PM
Lol so rather than making any kind of rational argument, you resort to "nuh uh you're bad and gamepads are bad because I like M/KB more!"

Can't say I really expected anything else, though.

The hitboxes are shit, and this is a pretty well accepted fact. Though if you're right, and I'm just a horrible gamepad user who can't hit shit, then why did I have no problem soloing Vol Dragon, while your almighty mouse precision was apparently no match?

It baffles me that you can't comprehend gamepad users having proper aim. It just makes you sound irrationally elitist or just very out of touch with modern gaming.

jooozek
Jul 27, 2012, 09:29 PM
So you are that bad with your gamepad that you need to make me look bad so you don't look as bad?
Is "proper aim" slang for "subpar control"?
Can't really prove that you are able to aim well with a gamepad because you can't, right?

gigawuts
Jul 27, 2012, 09:31 PM
oh look, a K&M vs controller debate in an unrelated again

jooozek
Jul 27, 2012, 09:32 PM
oh look, a K&M vs controller debate in an unrelated again

I don't think you can call this pissing contest even a "debate" :-x

ScottyMango
Jul 27, 2012, 09:41 PM
Yup, just throw out 'you're bad' and 'gamepads suck' over and over. That's how you make a good argument/proper point.

Tell me, is there a reason you prefer to act like a child?

This has nothing to do with who is better. We're discussing the efficiency of control methods, but for some reason I guess you're very sensitive about that because all you seem to be able to muster up are petty insults.

Can you prove that all gamepad users have terrible aim? No, you can't, because that's just a stupid thing to say?

Either super-opinionated or just really out of touch. Can't figure out which.

jooozek
Jul 27, 2012, 09:47 PM
I don't need to prove anything because the stick idea already proves it. All you are able to do is slide from one direction to another without being able to make small adjustments on fly. It doesn't take a genius to realise that.

Lumpen Thingy
Jul 27, 2012, 09:48 PM
get a better graphics card for $100 and you might be set for awhile

ScottyMango
Jul 27, 2012, 09:58 PM
I don't need to prove anything because the stick idea already proves it. All you are able to do is slide from one direction to another without being able to make small adjustments on fly. It doesn't take a genius to realise that.

In what era do you live in that you can't easily make small adjustments on a gamepad? Was the last pad you touched attached to an N64?

Again, this just sounds like a personal problem you have.

There's nothing wrong with that. If gamepads aren't your thing then don't use them... but to suggest that everyone else has these problems and limitations, merely because you do, is just ridiculous.

gigawuts
Jul 27, 2012, 10:00 PM
Gamepads are statistically worse than K&M for shooters.

Statistically.

I promise you that even with all the years I've used K&M, there's at least one player out there that can stomp me into the ground while using a controller. With a southpaw config that he's never used before.

ScottyMango
Jul 27, 2012, 10:06 PM
Nobody is arguing that mice aren't statistically more accurate; that much is a given.

However, joozek made it a point to suggest that all gamepad users are inherently awful and inefficient, claiming that we couldn't do so much as hit a Rockbear's weakspot... which is just straight up bullshit.

Besides all that, we're talking about PSO2 here, not a top-of-the-line precision FPS. There's a huuuge difference between the necessary precision for an actual shooter and an action-RPG such as PSO2.

jooozek
Jul 27, 2012, 10:08 PM
In what era do you live in that you can't easily make small adjustments on a gamepad? Was the last pad you touched attached to an N64?
Oh dear, are you for serious? Take a mouse in your hand and try to aim at something, and if you miss, note the time it takes for you to recover and aim properly now go count the amount of time it will take before you slide to that same point and then you will slide past anyway and will take even more time to recover and aim properly... and meanwhile the enemy moves away badoom-tsh.

Again, this just sounds like a personal problem you have.
I have no problems with gamepads, my first console (NES, then PSX, then PS2, then X360 and finally Wii [with a NGC controller for gamecube and some wiiware titles]) I've had in like 1993ish, my first PC in 2003 so yeah, I know about gamepads more than I even need to and for sure I can handle them just fine.

There's nothing wrong with that. If gamepads aren't your thing then don't use them... but to suggest that everyone else has these problems and limitations, merely because you do, is just ridiculous.
Again, record a video or no dice. I don't believe in UFO so I don't see why should I believe in something as ridiculous as precise aim with gamepads :-?

Nobody is arguing that mice aren't statistically more accurate; that much is a given.

However, joozek made it a point to suggest that all gamepad users are inherently awful and inefficient, claiming that we couldn't do so much as hit a Rockbear's weakspot... which is just straight up bullshit.

You clearly can't follow context, I was saying that in case Mylis was using autoaim. Context, lulzie. Lemme quote it: "Even if you use lockon, rockbears will just laugh at you." You know why rockbears will laugh at you? Because lockon doesn't work on their faces.

Besides all that, we're talking about PSO2 here, not a top-of-the-line precision FPS. There's a huuuge difference between the necessary precision for an actual shooter and an action-RPG such as PSO2.
That's what you believe, go and shoot some spardans while they walk on uneven terrain, would love to see you correcting your aim up and down to get hits on the cores which are covered for most with their legs.

ScottyMango
Jul 27, 2012, 10:21 PM
Neither of you either said anything about lock-on in that bit of the conversation.

"you can also play ranger with a gamepad but you will be highly inefficient."
"Exactly how?"
"Uh, weakspots aiming?"
"Haven't had an issue with that yet "
"Now you are outright lying."

The only mention of lock-on came two posts after you said that he was lying for claiming to be able to hit a weakspot.

Which is, again, bullshit. But the point is, at that point in the conversation, you were talking about manual aiming, not lock-on.

The fact that you think those simple corrections are actually difficult only makes me believe that you are just very bad at using gamepads and therefore, for some odd reason, believe everyone else also must be that bad.

jooozek
Jul 27, 2012, 10:23 PM
You know whats the real bullshit here? Your delusions of precise aim on a gamepad. True story. Prove me wrong with a video.

ScottyMango
Jul 27, 2012, 10:29 PM
You can find very many of those on youtube.com.

Pretty cool site, has lotsa videos and stuff. Just type in the name of your preferred console shooter and voila!

Now, once you're done doing that, please link me to a video that somehow proves all gamepad users are too inaccurate to hit something as simple as a Rockbear weakspot... because I imagine that will be much harder to find.

jooozek
Jul 27, 2012, 10:33 PM
Just watched like 50 vids of FPS console frag movies, they were all sucky. All it was slide left or right, or sit with your crosshair for an hour in one spot and just push the fire button.
And about that Rockbear spot, you still seem to be missing the relying on lockon context. Even my mother would be able to hit its huge face hitbox, like I said, come with a video of sniping Spardans cores.

ScottyMango
Jul 27, 2012, 10:40 PM
Okay, but only if you come at me with a video of someone horribly missing them and complaining about their gamepad.

jooozek
Jul 27, 2012, 10:44 PM
I kNeW U r A sCrUb n00b

Lumpen Thingy
Jul 27, 2012, 11:56 PM
Wow this thread became a child argument over a game pad vs a K&M. I have an idea why not get good with both and use what you prefer? Anyways if you can I would recommend upgrading your systems ram to at least 8 gbs.

Mystil
Jul 28, 2012, 03:12 AM
Its funny that I was so upset being called a liar, that I went to sleep. You came off like I was some kind of adversary.

For the lock-on bit; I use lock-on for the damn galfs/fongalfs. I didn't use lock-on much for Rockbear. I don't need it for anything else, even when mobs have cores on their bodies.

You can make adjustments on the fly, and you can move in other directions. I have to make small adjustments to hit my targets. Maybe your pad is broken, I guess. But don't take this so to heart. I'm sure those keyboard RAs are pros due to it, and not saying I'm better or pro(covering all the bases here) for using a pad. All I'm saying is, I'm better off with a pad. Keyboard will fuck me over. I know why I strongly feel that way, and unfortunately, I don't know how to get you to understand that.

So that's that. Lets stop derailing the topic and move on.

jooozek
Jul 28, 2012, 03:32 AM
You can make adjustments on the fly, and you can move in other directions. I have to make small adjustments to hit my targets.
I know you have to make adjustments to just aim in the spot you want to, its because sticks are imprecise and won't make the crosshair go into the place you want it in.

DPShiro
Jul 28, 2012, 03:51 AM
If you are planning on hooking it up to a 52" screen, it is safe to say things will not go well.

Not the MBP, i would only try the game on it and see if i get hooked enough to buy 2 new PC's that would be dedicated to PSO2 connected to the 2 52" LCD's.

About viruses, if someone gets a virus in a recent PC (with Windows 7), alot of the times it's because that person went to a shady website or downloaded something he shouldn't have (there are exceptions though).
A person that isn't much of a gamer won't really need to update drivers
About updates for windows (windows update), that's pretty much like title updates for consoles.
Nowadays blue screens will only happen if there's an hardware problem, this is not the Windows 95/98 days anymore.

Yeah i know it's not the same as before, but that feeling still lives on. Like the westers PSU feeling will live on for a loooooong time. And that's why if we start to play again, it will be JP servers only.