PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty Playing the Game in JP?

Infernonyc
Jul 27, 2012, 03:29 PM
Being a long-time supporter of PSO games from PSO-DC to PSP2i.
It has always been difficult for me to play the JP versions of games, but more times than not my lack of patience for US releases trumps my inabilities to read JP.
My question to all of you playing the JP version now, is it difficult to set up an account (as I had many problems trying to do this on the beta). And how has reading instructions as the game progresses been?

Zorafim
Jul 27, 2012, 03:32 PM
There are plenty of guides out there. It's not that hard to set up an account, or navigate the menus. After a while, you won't even notice you can't read anything.

RocSage
Jul 27, 2012, 03:42 PM
is it difficult to set up an account (as I had many problems trying to do this on the beta).

For you it is like you are done already, because you are. You don't need to reset up an account for the live game if you've already set one up previously for the beta

Infernonyc
Jul 27, 2012, 03:45 PM
For you it is like you are done already, because you are. You don't need to reset up an account for the live game if you've already set one up previously for the beta

Very helpful, thank you.

oifjustus
Jul 27, 2012, 03:50 PM
Being a long-time supporter of PSO games from PSO-DC to PSP2i.
It has always been difficult for me to play the JP versions of games, but more times than not my lack of patience for US releases trumps my inabilities to read JP.
My question to all of you playing the JP version now, is it difficult to set up an account (as I had many problems trying to do this on the beta). And how has reading instructions as the game progresses been?

It's way to simple.. I've never played a JP release.. But with all te translations that are out there it's become all the more easy. Google translate is a life saver as well, since a lot of the games text can be copied and pasted.

Rowe
Jul 27, 2012, 03:50 PM
I'm at the point where I hardly notice that the game isn't in English. Eventually, you'll learn to sound out the katakana and use that to figure out what stuff is, and if that doesn't work, you use the guides. Playing with an English team also makes things a bit easier, because people are prepared to walk you through the things that are very kanji-heavy and when you need some English you have people to talk to. The weirdest part is trying to figure out what some of the weapons are supposed to be called (What the hell is a Tagvalve supposed to be?!), but if that doesn't work out it just becomes "The third 1* launcher," and that's good enough for most.

Basically, don't be a baby. Just push through the initial language shock and after awhile you'll get used to it.

Dan Maku
Jul 27, 2012, 04:16 PM
The game is fairly easy to get into without knowing Japanese. Setting up a mission is fairly easy, and the gameplay itself is easy to master if you've played any action or shooting game this gen. The only things that would be really difficult are navigating the Matter Board, understanding the story, and working the client orders, though thankfully, Bumped.org has guides to help with those.

Mystil
Jul 27, 2012, 04:45 PM
Once you memorize the menu, shops, etc it becomes second nature to you.

gigawuts
Jul 27, 2012, 04:55 PM
It's very simple. Picking up some katakana long the way is actually very easy, if you give it a shot. Most katakana in the game is actually english, if you read it aloud. If you learn the first two letters or most menu options, you can figure out a lot of the rest even if you don't take the time to learn it. Given context, such as when you click a player, you can easily figure out things like fure -> friend, mai -> my shop, bura -> blacklist, etc. That said, obviously in different menus those two letters won't always mean the same thing. Then of course for items there's soru -> sol atomizer, mu-n -> moon atomizer, mono -> monomate, dei -> dimate, etc.

I highly recommend trying it. It's actually pretty fun and if you just glance at a list you'll learn the rest of most phrases as you play.

Kylrad
Jul 27, 2012, 05:01 PM
I was pretty turned off by the idea that the game was completely in Japanese so I hesitated to play. But eventually after watching some people play and wanting to play a PS game i bit the bullet and created an account. With http://bumped.org/psublog and google translate its pretty easy to figure stuff out, after awhile you don't even realize your playing a Japanese game you just remember where everything is on the menus and such.

MelancholyWitch
Jul 27, 2012, 05:02 PM
you'll pick it up easily, I don't speak a word of Japanese or can read kanji but I've gotten the hang of it things are obvious enough where eventually you'll find yourself using the translation guides on bumped less & less.

Zekester
Jul 27, 2012, 05:40 PM
The only thing I avoid doing is the Story missions or the Matter Board, since I'd much rather understand what's going on than guessing through the cutscenes..

Kion
Jul 27, 2012, 06:08 PM
You can always read the story thread for the story.
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198751

jooozek
Jul 27, 2012, 06:09 PM
The thing that can come haunt you later is when you will need to contact customer support (as they only provide it in japanese language).

Skye-Fox713
Jul 27, 2012, 06:17 PM
There are plenty of guides out there. It's not that hard to set up an account, or navigate the menus. After a while, you won't even notice you can't read anything.

pretty much this.