PDA

View Full Version : What to look forward to as I level?

Rieselle
Jul 27, 2012, 07:42 PM
Hi, I'm a bit of an odd MMO player, I guess my main motivation for leveling in RPGs is to see new spells/attacks, and feel powerful by doing cool new moves, use new mechanics, etc.

Numerical increases dont interest me, and neither do items. Different landscapes and areas dont really appeal much either.

Skill based gameplay (ie. you dont gain much abilities, but enemies get harder and you have to use more player skill) also appeals to me, since I enjoy action games like Devil May Cry, etc.

So, is there much for me to look forwards to in the higher levels of PSO2? (I'm lvl15 Force atm).

I've heard that spell effects don't change as you use higher discs, and it seems I've learned most of the spells already? (are there spells that are only available to higher levels?) Probably the main thing now are the gameplay-changing character skills like PP Charge restore, Freeze Ignition etc.

As much as everyone hates Diablo 3, it was pretty fun using Meteor Shower to annihilate screenfulls of enemies in Hell difficulty, and be an invulnerable tank using the wizard Whirlwind build, and stuff like that.

Blizz3112
Jul 27, 2012, 07:50 PM
With ones do you have? I heard the Grants spells are tricky to get...

http://p2o.wikkii.net/wiki/Techniques#Yin-Yang_Techniques

Here are all the current techniques available in PSO2 as of yet... (or Techs sighted in PSO 2 by others or announced for future releases).

pikachief
Jul 27, 2012, 07:54 PM
yea right now, besides the spells that we have, they do not look any different at higher levels.

This may change when we get lvl 11-20 spells in the future though.

jooozek
Jul 27, 2012, 07:56 PM
Grants and Gigrants are easy to get, just spam the first mission (that lv1, with the code in which you kill za oodans), it takes around 3-4 minutes to finish it for most.

Stegodon
Jul 27, 2012, 08:00 PM
As far as skilled gameplay goes, Some bosses do get harder later on. For example most people vote the Snow Banshees are the hardest boss in the game right now. As well as Vol Dragon coming in second. After you decide if you like Just Gaurding or Dodging more the game gets more in depth with your survival techniques. When Fall hits and they introduce the 3 new classes and 5 new weapons the game will undoubtedly get more in depth.

Reyva
Jul 27, 2012, 08:11 PM
Eh, there are a good amount of techs missing for now so right now its going to be pretty boring. And if its like PSU, the higher leveled techs will look different.

Its mostly boring right now for me due to the fact all I did from level 1 to 40 was use mostly Rafoie/Gifoie/Foie (mostly rafoie though) spam. Pretty boring stuff which made me glad to play my hunter or ranger toons. Using any other tech was pretty much useless, but since you don't care about damage and efficiency, well hey, you got a wide range of techs you can use.

Difficulty? Yeah thats got to come later. Sure, Snow Banshee may be the toughest boss to people right now, but for me, as a force, it was pretty easy. But then again, I only say later because thats how it was with the previous versions with the exception of BB/pso dc v2 and so on (since everything was there ready to go).

So right now, there is probably nothing to look forward to besides the snow banshee fight. Mines is boring.

UnLucky
Jul 27, 2012, 08:12 PM
Each level gives you practically nothing.

New areas unlock really slowly.

Core gameplay never changes.

Perhaps the next level cap increase will bring something cool.

Metalsnake27
Jul 27, 2012, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I'm actually getting annoyed/bored with the game and I'm only level 27. The level 40 cap client order doesn't help at all either..... :/ 25-30 just sucks....

Oh well. I did get my Mag to level 100 just recently though.

sugarFO
Jul 27, 2012, 09:31 PM
Costumes. ^^

Lol, really though, I just farm meseta and items. Grinding multis is always fun to me.

Kanore
Jul 27, 2012, 09:40 PM
Numerical increases dont interest me, and neither do items. Different landscapes and areas dont really appeal much either.

PSO is not the kinda game for you

ScottyMango
Jul 27, 2012, 10:52 PM
I was thinking that exact phrase.

Zorafim
Jul 28, 2012, 01:43 AM
Skill trees allow you to gain new skills, or passive boosts, as you level. Gaining your weapon gear as a hunter, or seeing your element of choice become more useful as a force, might interest you.

New areas unlock at higher levels. Unfortunately, you have to sit through alot of unnecessary BS between lvs 20-30, but after that, you gain access to a bunch of interesting new areas.

You get new weapon skins as you level. Lower level items gain more interesting skins, and you may get a more rare gold skinned weapon. Or, you could get a rare item with its own unique skin.

The biggest draw is character customization. Though you don't really get anything unique through levels, the longer you play, the more items will be released to customize yourself with.

Really, that's the draw of the game. Customize your character, see your character grow in strength, and get access to new areas.

KrankItVZ
Jul 28, 2012, 02:04 AM
THIS is why I stopped playing. Blew almost all my money and about to hit endgame (lvl 39 currently).

My opinion is that the game does not have such a great incentive to level up. My best example would be from Maplestory (fond memories... till the economy exploded). It was fun to level up to a point, getting new gear, new attacks... The idea of giving all the PA's right away is just bleh. Another thing is the stats... It is so hard to calculate what stats to pump into your mag thus first timers will usually be unable to equip any of the higher tier units at all. So its sorta telling you to either go DPS or Tank...

I love how they randomly generate the maps considering I HATE instances. Just with the Bosses moved from map to map like in Monster Hunters. I just feel like it gets really old for me to just spam the same skills over and over again because its the strongest combo. Well it just launched abit over a month but I feel like it is too easy to hit end game with the extreme exp from multiparties.

EDIT: The skill tree also feels weird to me. Might be a Phantasy Star thing but idk since its a first time for me. It has been a very fun month until I just went ballistic with DoDo or wtv his name is. *Basically I'm flat broke and pissed off*

Mystil
Jul 28, 2012, 02:37 AM
That is how they've been played since day one. You'll get used to it, and would seem that way now, but your time has not been wasted.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 28, 2012, 03:46 AM
yeah unfortunately, despite the skill and timing implemented in the hunter class, no boss really requires much practice aside from panther bros.

so far that's the only fun boss for me to solo.

come back when pso2 has more content.

kudo
Jul 28, 2012, 05:23 AM
THIS is why I stopped playing. Blew almost all my money and about to hit endgame (lvl 39 currently).

My opinion is that the game does not have such a great incentive to level up. My best example would be from Maplestory (fond memories... till the economy exploded). It was fun to level up to a point, getting new gear, new attacks... The idea of giving all the PA's right away is just bleh. Another thing is the stats... It is so hard to calculate what stats to pump into your mag thus first timers will usually be unable to equip any of the higher tier units at all. So its sorta telling you to either go DPS or Tank...

I love how they randomly generate the maps considering I HATE instances. Just with the Bosses moved from map to map like in Monster Hunters. I just feel like it gets really old for me to just spam the same skills over and over again because its the strongest combo. Well it just launched abit over a month but I feel like it is too easy to hit end game with the extreme exp from multiparties.

EDIT: The skill tree also feels weird to me. Might be a Phantasy Star thing but idk since its a first time for me. It has been a very fun month until I just went ballistic with DoDo or wtv his name is. *Basically I'm flat broke and pissed off*

Maplestory has incentives for leveling? Pfft, if anything Maplestory is one game that makes leveling feel absolutely useless, admittedly old maple back when I played in 2006 made leveling feel like an achievement, but recently when I picked it back up again with the Mercedes update I got to level 124 in 3 days, sometimes when I was grinding I didn't even realize I had levelled. That's how much the sense of achievement was.

You seem to be the kind of person to prefer open world environments, personally I do too, but I find the PSO2 system refreshing and combat alone makes it more fun than most other games of now imo including GW2.

If anything I feel PSO2 is only suffering in lack of content, but you have to give it time, it's a new game and comparing it to other MMOs the rate at which they are releasing it is absolutely crazy, it's almost like how Spiral Knights was when they first started. Perhaps take a break and come back later, or play other classes and level them up or focus on strengthening your main character. Right now I have found myself playing less due to time constraints, but I still wish I could play more, so I kind of envy people who can haha.

moorebounce
Jul 28, 2012, 06:01 AM
yea right now, besides the spells that we have, they do not look any different at higher levels.

This may change when we get lvl 11-20 spells in the future though.

Thats one of the things PSO did was had the spells change their look at certain levels. Right now it doesn't look like they left enough room for that kind of change in PSO2. At this point if we get level 30 discs that the range would be the only thing to change.

Lostbob117
Jul 28, 2012, 06:05 AM
The next level.

oifjustus
Jul 28, 2012, 06:40 AM
This game is all about fun combat and hunting rares :).

KrankItVZ
Jul 28, 2012, 10:33 AM
Maplestory has incentives for leveling? Pfft, if anything Maplestory is one game that makes leveling feel absolutely useless, admittedly old maple back when I played in 2006 made leveling feel like an achievement, but recently when I picked it back up again with the Mercedes update I got to level 124 in 3 days, sometimes when I was grinding I didn't even realize I had levelled. That's how much the sense of achievement was.

You seem to be the kind of person to prefer open world environments, personally I do too, but I find the PSO2 system refreshing and combat alone makes it more fun than most other games of now imo including GW2.

If anything I feel PSO2 is only suffering in lack of content, but you have to give it time, it's a new game and comparing it to other MMOs the rate at which they are releasing it is absolutely crazy, it's almost like how Spiral Knights was when they first started. Perhaps take a break and come back later, or play other classes and level them up or focus on strengthening your main character. Right now I have found myself playing less due to time constraints, but I still wish I could play more, so I kind of envy people who can haha.

Well yea MS was quite good a few years back. Hitting above level 60 felt like you actually reached somewhere. My siblings still play as they are about 20x richer than me... Now its just completely broken and I refuse to play to keep my memories of the old game.

The lack of content does sort of piss me off kinda like DCUO but DCUO was horrible at end game (Admittedly I had around 10 real life friends play so it was awesome).

Now I just feel like there is nothing to do. The idea of being able to access all the skills at level 1 is also priceless... Even though I'm flat broke in game and I know it is possible to make the money back, I feel that there is no actual incentive to keep on going (at least at this point). I probably wont have much time to play in a few weeks time but yea it was a fun run. Might come back to this after a few months again and see how it goes.

Rieselle
Jul 28, 2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks all, hmm, its a shame it doesn't really sound like there's much here for me. I really like the art style and character creator for PSO2. The combat is ok but Dragons Nest does action combat even better and with awesome looking spells as you level up. But that game has zero character appearance customisation and even more evil F2P business techniques than PSO2. On the other hand, GW2 is coming, I'm a big fan although the combat in that game looks kinda poor. If only they could somehow merge the best parts of these games together :P

Finalzone
Jul 28, 2012, 03:40 PM
I find myself doing more quests with NPC trying to make them happy and unlock more stories. I recently unlock Hard difficulty level and started Forest quest, I noticed mobs are more aggressive and attempt to surround me. That gives opportunity to practice my evade and guard skills.
Remember PSO2 is still fresh for many people who never play it. By the time it will be available, more improvements and bug fixes will be there.