PDA

View Full Version : Rifles

Limbo_lag
Jul 28, 2012, 11:59 AM
Does anyone else feel that Sega may have inadvertently doomed the ranger class to using only 2 weapons? The AR is an excellent all-in-one weapon, with many versatile PAs, but this may have removed the need for other ranger weapons (e.g., shotguns are no longer needed). What do you all think?

Kondibon
Jul 28, 2012, 12:06 PM
Infomining aside that's a bit of a stretch.

I had thought the same thing about rifles but looking at it a different way they seem to be a sort of all in one jack of all trades weapon. The grenade launcher is a lot like a launcher PA, One Point seems like something you'd see on Mech Guns, and of course defuse shell looks like something for shotguns. The last 3 don't seem to take any cues from other weapons.

However looking at the things they did with the launcher makes me believe that it's entirely possible for them to still work in other weapons for rangers.

If we DO take into account the info mining then there's a good chance we'll be getting Mech Guns and Shotguns, which will likely have their own PAs more catered to their specialty.

Zyrusticae
Jul 28, 2012, 12:08 PM
Shotguns would still be superior area-clearing weapons due to having a standard attack that hits in an AoE without costing PP. Also, their photon arts would probably also be superior to the rifle shotgun PA.

Of course, I don't actually know how they would execute a shotgun in this game - they may choose to go with a traditional "pellet" shotgun, or they may go with a "spread" weapon like in the previous games, nor do I know what kinds of PAs they would stick on it.

The Assault Rifle, in any case, hasn't replaced the launcher even though it has a grenade PA, either, so that's kind of a moot point.

SaiKo
Jul 28, 2012, 12:28 PM
I'm kind of irked at it simply because it lessens the chance of a good, single-shot "sniper"-esque rifle to me. However, I don't see it precluding the addition of shotguns or lasers and the like (though Spread Legacy and Photon Launcher being... well... Launchers... kind of gives a bad vibe there).

Giving us mechguns after making the bloody rifle a repeater is going to be rubbish though. If the datamined list of new weapons turns out to be accurate, I'm not going to be particularly pleased...

Hrith
Jul 28, 2012, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I agree. I truly wonder what role machineguns will fill.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 28, 2012, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I agree. I truly wonder what role machineguns will fill.

Shooting like 10 bullets in random directions per basic attack, with a PA that shoots like 100
Other PA's would do silly things like make you jump in the air and shoot downwards, or breakdance, or doing bullet fanning, etc.

NoiseHERO
Jul 28, 2012, 05:20 PM
I like using the gunslash and putting the Charge shot on all the PA slots. Actually gets the job done when I don't feel like meleeing or there's a huge multiparty area and everything dies before I can run to it.

But that's hunter...

I wonder if this is more effective on ranger...

GoldenFalcon
Jul 28, 2012, 05:21 PM
I like using the gunslash and putting the Charge shot on all the PA slots. Actually gets the job done when I don't feel like meleeing or there's a huge multiparty area and everything dies before I can run to it.

But that's hunter...

I wonder if this is more effective on ranger...

Fury Gunslash is about the same damage as Standing Snipe Gunslash, but Rangers get weak hit advance

gigawuts
Jul 28, 2012, 06:01 PM
What I'd like to see is weak bullet on the gunslash. That would make things interesting, being able to use the gunslash's PA's without wasting weak bullets or waiting until the very last one.

Blizz3112
Jul 28, 2012, 06:04 PM
Shots would work well as short-range enemy blaster...

Shot: Short-range spread attack that blasts enemies away from ranger...

EXPFULL
Jul 29, 2012, 06:53 AM
Looking forward to the sub classes. My guess is that they will have their own weapon types. Let's say there's a new sub class that uses Twin Pistols and Mech guns.

You could mix and match, having a hunter with those new weapons, so add them to your ranger to go pure gunownage.

Macman
Jul 29, 2012, 08:47 AM
Double Saber gear gauge. I drool at the speculation.