PDA

View Full Version : Beta or full game?

Redthirteen
Jul 29, 2012, 10:29 AM
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I keep finding conflicting info.

I'm playing PO2 atm on the Japanese servers. My question is, is this now the full game or is it still a beta?

Thanks.

jOhMG
Jul 29, 2012, 10:29 AM
Full Game! And has been since the 4th

jooozek
Jul 29, 2012, 10:35 AM
Its not the full game (we don't even have yet Very Hard) but yes, it launched officially.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 29, 2012, 11:02 AM
definitely not the full game.

in my eyes, the full game will be when all of the "roadmap" updates are implemented into the game. so imo the full game will be released when the first "giant boss" gets released, in i believe early 2013.

this definitely feels like half a game, and it's like that on purpose. need to stretch out content for the most monetary gain.

even if most of their content is already thought of/near finished and they're not implementing it all right away, the updates are considerably frequent (every two weeks) so if you get bored you can just drop the game/afk magfeed and come back to it later when there's something that interests you.

KrankItVZ
Jul 29, 2012, 12:10 PM
It IS "Officially" released but imo the content at the current endgame is a little bit lacking. I find myself leveling way too fast thus taking the fun outta hitting endgame

RocSage
Jul 29, 2012, 12:54 PM

in my eyes, the full game will be when all of the "roadmap" updates are implemented into the game. so imo the full game will be released when the first "giant boss" gets released, in i believe early 2013.

this definitely feels like half a game, and it's like that on purpose. need to stretch out content for the most monetary gain.

even if most of their content is already thought of/near finished and they're not implementing it all right away, the updates are considerably frequent (every two weeks) so if you get bored you can just drop the game/afk magfeed and come back to it later when there's something that interests you.

Then you'll be waiting a long time because that road map will likely be updated as time goes on to add more updates

Sp-24
Jul 29, 2012, 01:04 PM
He was probably talking about the current version of the roadmap. I'm pretty sure it consists of pre-made content that is supposed to make a full-ish game, with Dark Falz and all.

EDIT: Though I may be wrong, since that roadmap doesn't have a smartphone release, and phones are likely to get a "full" game and not get updated later.

EDIT2: Missed the part that has a smartphone release.

Arika
Jul 29, 2012, 01:22 PM

And after the roadmap 1 has finished, then you will see roadmap 2 topic, and then you will probably says it again that the game is not finish until roadmap 2 end. PSU had new road map every half year.

Well, in a sense, MMO nowadays never be a full game until it die.
So we just follow SEGA and said that it is full game when it is official launch.

Enforcer MKV
Jul 29, 2012, 01:24 PM
This is the full game. Like many other online games though, they'll be adding more content, which it needs.

jooozek
Jul 29, 2012, 01:38 PM
If you can claim that this is the full game after seeing what was datamined from the closed beta then I don't really know what to say.

RocSage
Jul 29, 2012, 01:45 PM
Almost all game now adays have locked content and MMOs especially you will get locked content drip fed over many updates so that you aren't killed by super huge updates. An MMO that doesn't plan and have stuff in development stuff being unlocked 6months to a year in the future is probably not an MMO that is good.

CJ Johnny
Jul 29, 2012, 02:30 PM

I'm playing PO2 atm on the Japanese servers. My question is, is this now the full game or is it still a beta?

Thanks.

Not 'Anywhere' near "Full".
Perhaps in 4 to 5 Year's, may be...

In 'Respone' to your Question.
It is NOT > Alpha, >Beta.

Official "Release Date" - PC.
July 04, 2012

Halcyote
Jul 29, 2012, 03:05 PM
pretty sure op was just asking if the game was release or if it is a beta.

op, the game is in full release mode. regardless of what was mined or what we have does not change that fact.

Hrith
Jul 29, 2012, 03:47 PM
It really feels like playing a beta, though. Game is full of glitches, servers are laggy as hell, content is minimal in some aspects (classes, level caps, difficulty settings).

It's free, so just play.

Quatre52
Jul 29, 2012, 05:11 PM
Hey guys, how about giving a far less confusing sounding answer, and keep your opinion on the matter away from such a simple question...

The beta is over. This is the official full release.

Lostbob117
Jul 29, 2012, 05:12 PM
It's the full game and if anyone says it's not than they're being stupid.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 29, 2012, 05:27 PM
He was probably talking about the current version of the roadmap. I'm pretty sure it consists of pre-made content that is supposed to make a full-ish game, with Dark Falz and all.

ya, i was referring to the current "road map". and mb, i shoulda said:

lol "technically" yeah its the full game. definitely doesn't feel like it though

pikachief
Jul 29, 2012, 05:49 PM
Yes, despite people's opinions, the full game has been released.

jooozek
Jul 29, 2012, 05:56 PM
You would pay a full price for the game in this state as of today? That's pretty cunning. I'd rage hard and throw it away for paying for just a grind that takes grind to get more grind.

Sp-24
Jul 29, 2012, 05:58 PM
lol "technically" yeah its the full game. definitely doesn't feel like it though

Nor is it, heh. The story is incomplete, a lot of features, like subclasses, are ready to be implemented but aren't, a lot of content is already partially in the game in one way or another (interface pictures, achievements, characters), etc. The question was "Beta or full game?", and the correct answer is "Neither".

G.A.M.E.R-X
Jul 29, 2012, 06:19 PM
No, its not the 'Full Game'.

Segas financially ailing, and opted to release the beta 'Officially', thats all.

The 'Gigantic Boss' update planned for sometime before the new year is the endgame boss for the main initial campaign/content. Once that hits, we will of gotten the full main game.

Because of their financial situation Sega had to release what they had done so far, in order to finance further development to completion as well as recoup what they've spent so far on initial development.

The people that are saying "This is the full game and anyone who says otherwise are stupid" just don't know what they are talking about. Right now its very much an official public beta, and we only have roughly 1/3 of the main game content at this point.

If they manage to buckle down and stick to the every 2 weeks model for content, heres how content will be arriving:

August:

Mid Scale Update: Soaring Crystal Dragon
New Field, New Enemy, New Boss (Floating Islands Content)
New Interrupt Events
New Emergency Quest (Fang Banther & Fang Banshee in Forest)
New Story Quest
New Fashion
Event Lobby (The rappy on a surfboard junk in the shopping area)

September:

Large Scale Update!
3 New Classes
5 New Weapon Categories (Dbl Saber, Twin Mech, Knucks, Wand, Twin Dagger)
New Photon Arts and Technics
Very Hard Mode
Level Cap 50
Rare Enemies and Rare Bosses added!
New Interrupt Event, and New Emergency Quest
New Story Quest.

October:

New Field (Future Ragol or something looking like it)
New Enemies
New Boss
New Story Quest
New System Update
Fashion Update
Event Lobby (Probably some Halloween junk in the shopping area)

November:

Smart Phone Version Release
Gigantic Boss Added (Final Boss of Initial story endgame)
New Field (Ruins type area)
New System Update (Possibly ship transfer function costing AC to use)
Fashion Update
Event Lobby (Either some thanksgiving junk in the shopping area, or if implemented at the very end of November, Xmas junk)

As we've seen with the Quartz Dragon update coming faster and ignoring the 'Every 2 Weeks' pattern, its feasible to assume that if Sega manages to complete content faster than anticipated, we may see these updates arrive sooner then initially planned.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 29, 2012, 06:21 PM
we may see these updates arrive sooner then initially planned.

DO YOU BELIEVE?

I BELIEVE!

I BELIEVE IN SAKAI!

I BELIEVE IN SONIC TEAM!!!!!!!!

[SPOILER-BOX]KNUCKLES MID AUGUST CMONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNN[/SPOILER-BOX]

Enforcer MKV
Jul 29, 2012, 06:28 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]KNUCKLES MID AUGUST CMONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNN[/SPOILER-BOX]

Hell, if they were implemented right, I wouldn't complain...

BIG OLAF
Jul 29, 2012, 06:32 PM

Segas financially ailing, and opted to release the beta 'Officially', thats all.

The 'Gigantic Boss' update planned for sometime before the new year is the endgame boss for the main initial campaign/content. Once that hits, we will of gotten the full main game.

Because of their financial situation Sega had to release what they had done so far, in order to finance further development to completion as well as recoup what they've spent so far on initial development.

I'd love to hear how you reached these conclusions, or where you heard this information from. Please, regale us. I'm sure you will.

G.A.M.E.R-X
Jul 29, 2012, 06:37 PM
DO YOU BELIEVE?

I BELIEVE!

I BELIEVE IN SAKAI!

I BELIEVE IN SONIC TEAM!!!!!!!!

Yeah I get the feeling that part of the big content update originally scheduled for Sept is being pushed up to release in late august, probably stuff like the level cap raise and very hard mode.

I see level 40s everywhere I go, I rarely see lower level players so I would have to assume Sega realizes they need to hurry up and push out things that will allow people to stay interest and feel like they are progressing etc

Also there really needs to be an option in the game to turn off the 'EXP FULL' bullshit. Thank you Sega, I realize i'm getting literally nothing for killing these mobs, stop reminding me. Sure they drop crap you can vendor, but good maps in Mines and Forest with big clusters of boxes close to each other on the map accomplish that task alot less tediously and alot faster.

Blows my mind that they don't have a 'Normal' difficulty version of Tundra and Mines. Why Sega thinks that people want to grind for 15 levels in the most bland and tedious map (Desert) is beyond me.

I would hope Desert gets a real boss soon, its blatantly obvious Gwanada is a mini boss (the mini boss music plays, more than one spawns when more people in the party etc, game says "Code Attack" when it spawns in the field)

I'd love to hear how you reached these conclusions, or where you heard this information from. Please, regale us. I'm sure you will.

Common sense? I hope you don't expect me to humor you outside of saying that.

Think whatever you like, wait and see for yourself

BIG OLAF
Jul 29, 2012, 06:43 PM
Common sense? I hope you don't expect me to humor you outside of saying that.

Oh, no. I do. You seem to like being a windbag, so I figured you'd have no problem elaborating.

Think whatever you like, wait and see for yourself

Okay!

Macman
Jul 29, 2012, 06:45 PM
Also there really needs to be an option in the game to turn off the 'EXP FULL' bullshit. Thank you Sega, I realize i'm getting literally nothing for killing these mobs, stop reminding me.

I dunno about that. PSUv1 offline didn't have "EXP FULL" and it made it difficult to tell whether the monster was dead or not at first. At least when I see those yellow letters/numbers, I know to move on to the next mob.

gigawuts
Jul 29, 2012, 06:52 PM

The people that are saying "This is the full game and anyone who says otherwise are stupid" just don't know what they are talking about. Right now its very much an official public beta, and we only have roughly 1/3 of the main game content at this point.

If they manage to buckle down and stick to the every 2 weeks model for content, heres how content will be arriving:

August:

Mid Scale Update: Soaring Crystal Dragon
New Field, New Enemy, New Boss (Floating Islands Content)
New Interrupt Events
New Emergency Quest (Fang Banther & Fang Banshee in Forest)
New Story Quest
New Fashion
Event Lobby (The rappy on a surfboard junk in the shopping area)

September:

Large Scale Update!
3 New Classes
5 New Weapon Categories (Dbl Saber, Twin Mech, Knucks, Wand, Twin Dagger)
New Photon Arts and Technics
Very Hard Mode
Level Cap 50
Rare Enemies and Rare Bosses added!
New Interrupt Event, and New Emergency Quest
New Story Quest.

October:

New Field (Future Ragol or something looking like it)
New Enemies
New Boss
New Story Quest
New System Update
Fashion Update
Event Lobby (Probably some Halloween junk in the shopping area)

November:

Smart Phone Version Release
Gigantic Boss Added (Final Boss of Initial story endgame)
New Field (Ruins type area)
New System Update (Possibly ship transfer function costing AC to use)
Fashion Update
Event Lobby (Either some thanksgiving junk in the shopping area, or if implemented at the very end of November, Xmas junk)

As we've seen with the Quartz Dragon update coming faster and ignoring the 'Every 2 Weeks' pattern, its feasible to assume that if Sega manages to complete content faster than anticipated, we may see these updates arrive sooner then initially planned.

Is this list confirmed, or speculation? I hear about roadmap, but have never actually found a link to it and google translate doesn't work on images so navigating sega's site is bleh.

If that list is indeed legit then boy oh boy, props to Sega. While the game did launch a bit too lacking in content it's good to see they have a plan and are indeed sticking to it so far. I'm wondering what comes after that, though.

BIG OLAF
Jul 29, 2012, 06:58 PM
Is this list confirmed, or speculation?

Confirmed.

jooozek
Jul 29, 2012, 06:59 PM
http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=165

Zorafim
Jul 29, 2012, 09:40 PM
You all need to learn what a final release is.

gravityvx
Jul 29, 2012, 10:25 PM

Thanks.

As many have said, yes it is the full game everything is accessible and there are no longer restrictions as there were in beta.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasy_Star_Online_2

Redthirteen
Jul 30, 2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I could of been more specific, I was just curious as to wether this was still in beta or it has had it's official release. When I said full game I just mean't no longer in beta.

Thanks. :)