PDA

View Full Version : Sword vs Lance

watersea
Jul 30, 2012, 03:15 AM
There's an amazing force thread that inspired me to start this thread.

We'll be talking about hunter's weapons. The hunter is mainly a tank/dps class with great firepower. A hunter's main weapon would most likely be a sword and a sidearm which is a the lance. Some lances look like your ordinary lance while others look like yoyo's with sharp blades attached to them.

Personally I use the sword more often because of the skill Nova Strike. The skill tends to save me from the most sticky situations where darkers try to crawl up on me. Being able to charge it also adds a nice damage bonus! So if you're having trouble as a hunter i really recommend to pick this special move.

Let's not forget about the lances shall we. The damage of lances may not be very high but it's still a great alternative and good for beginning players. Why? Because it has a long reach (some have wires on them so the reach may vary) and really quick so the player will get hurt less often.

Anyway that's what I have to say about my experience with hunter weapons. Please vote for your favourite hunter weapon and don't forget to post your opinion on it!

GoldenFalcon
Jul 30, 2012, 03:19 AM
Sword for bosses, Wirelance for mobs

gigawuts
Jul 30, 2012, 03:23 AM
sword for everything

also gunslash, hunter really makes good use of the gunslash

Also you forgot the partisan aka speed rain stick, according to almost every other hunter I encounter in MPA's.

darkante
Jul 30, 2012, 03:25 AM
Wire Lance is great for mobs, but it tends to leave you open and therefore dangerous to use on bosses, Heavenly Fall might help a bit with that.

Sword is something i don't use so i can't say.

Partisan is great for any situation with speed rain.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 30, 2012, 03:29 AM
also gunslash, hunter really makes good use of the gunslash

Also you forgot the partisan aka speed rain stick, according to almost every other hunter I encounter in MPA's.

Rage Dance? Rage Dance
Serpent Air for lulz on bosses

I got sick of Speed Rain stick and prefer spamming Other Spin on Wirelance now

Ce'Nedra
Jul 30, 2012, 03:30 AM
I kinda miss the purpose for me to even use a Wired Lance. So far I haven't found a signle situation where i would use one of my Sword, Partisan or Gunslash.

The PA's are ok to mess with but to me at least, they are useless for bosses (which is annoying if you need to do the Weapon Traing CO's from Joseph) and I really have a hard time to put them to use at all. I kinda do everything with my Sword and Partisan.

So yeah to me they are pretty useless so far (Sorry Cornelia if you read this ^^;). Maybe I give them a go again when I get one that is stronger then Daylight Scar.

Lostbob117
Jul 30, 2012, 03:31 AM
Sword on everything Sonic Arrow on enemies on the ground and Rising Edge on fly enemies also

Sonic Arrow on boss unless I need Rising Edge for a boss like Rockbear.

UnLucky
Jul 30, 2012, 03:31 AM
http://i.imgur.com/XK1ps.png and http://i.imgur.com/t7T0d.png never get old

GoldenFalcon
Jul 30, 2012, 03:34 AM
I kinda miss the purpose for me to even use a Wired Lance. So far I haven't found a signle situation where i would use one of my Sword, Partisan or Gunslash.

The PA's are ok to mess with but to me at least, they are useless for bosses (which is annoying if you need to do the Weapon Traing CO's from Joseph) and I really have a hard time to put them to use at all. I kinda do everything with my Sword and Partisan.

So yeah to me they are pretty useless so far (Sorry Cornelia if you read this ^^;). Maybe I give them a go again when I get one that is stronger then Daylight Scar.

The issue with the PA's is that the boss has to stand still, although, the point blank grab is fast enough to usually hit where you want it (especially when Ragne is roaring, shooting discs, or fallen over)

aduran
Jul 30, 2012, 03:36 AM
sword just to show off my アーディロウ LOL

Vyscillius
Jul 30, 2012, 03:43 AM
Depends on the situation and which of my Hunter I'm playing.

When I use my defense oriented Hunter, I'm using the sword because it's just so much fun to Just Guard everything with the Sword.

When I use my dps/dodge oriented Hunter, I'm using both Partizans and WL. With my WL, I'm using either Heavenly Fall or Other Spin. Other Spin to gather all the monsters together and Heavenly Fall to make some insane damage on weak spots (particularly the Yetis)
With the Partizan, I spam Speed Rain to get myself out of tight situations. The partizan is my "boss weapon" for this Hunter : fast and dodge cancel.

I still have trouble using Sword against Bosses since the swing is so slow that they move before my sword can even reach them. I'm waiting to get Sword Gear, it'll fix that problem right up.

But really, any weapons are great, you just have to learn how to use them.

EDIT : so yeah, I didn't vote, obviously

Sakarisei
Jul 30, 2012, 03:50 AM
For me swords are the best weapons, but only for tanking. For making damage via Fury Stance is ok... but for Fury Stance and Fury Critical i prefer Wired Lance which these weapons are even effective versus bosses. Of course, for bosses who moves a lot of (Vol Dragon and Panthers) partisans are ok for hitting weak points near instantly.

About Heavenly Fall. When you fight about 10 or more mobs, i prefer using Other Cyclone because you can hit hordes which receives four hits per PA so...

But don't forget about Other Spin. I love this PA when you're interested on sending mobs to pumps butane in Tunnel (The purple-"red" ones) for example and then receiving stun status, for non responding enemy attacks.

Darki
Jul 30, 2012, 03:51 AM
I love all of them. Why use only one when you can use all? Can't wait to get MOAR weapon types.

JeyKama
Jul 30, 2012, 03:52 AM
Sword Gear doesn't really help much - you need to constantly hit things to keep it up... which can be annoying on bosses. It's hard as hell to keep up even in multiparties too unless there's a bunch of high-hp mobs around. Rising Edge with a lv3 gauge is pretty boss though.

I prefer partisans because the PAs are a lot more responsive and straightforward, but I got a lot of practice with a sword+just guard thanks to a +15%exp Zanba x_X

gigawuts
Jul 30, 2012, 03:53 AM
Sword Gear doesn't help much.

What.

JeyKama
Jul 30, 2012, 03:57 AM
Can you get past lv2 Sword Gear in a full multiparty or even most bosses? :p I think I spend 80% of my time bottomed out while in full combat because things die before my swing connects. Maybe in a 3-man or so...

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome when it does get up there... it just doesn't get much use from me.

mommy_cornelia
Jul 30, 2012, 04:03 AM

So yeah to me they are pretty useless so far (Sorry Cornelia if you read this ^^;). Maybe I give them a go again when I get one that is stronger then Daylight Scar.>_>

Well, I use W-Lance for everything. Other Spin for Mobs and Heavenly Fall for Bosses mostly(Vader is an exeption). If fully buffed, i easily do 9999(non-critical) on weak spotted bosses. I just love W-Lance! :D

Wayu
Jul 30, 2012, 04:10 AM
Primarily use partisans/wired lances, but if I think I have a large enough window to dodge attacks I'll occasionally use the sword. But usually partisans for DPS due to speed. Speed Rain's still my chief PA on it as I haven't found anything else that matches its usability.

That or if there's a PSE burst going on I just spam Sonic Arrow in all directions because:
1) I can't see anything due to Rafoies and rockets kersploding everywhere.
2) Too much lag to get into regular swing distance.

-Wayu

Zipzo
Jul 30, 2012, 04:12 AM
So my one complaint I have for wire lancers is that...

The PA's seem to break my lock on. This is purely from a 3rd party perspective, as I've yet to level Hunter up any until after Ranger.

On my force, it seems that a lot of the grabby PA's seem to break my lock on and that seems kind of annoying. Maybe I'm missing something? That just seems to be what I notice, at least.

This makes me thing that Wire Lances are actually quite a boon in parties.

Wayu
Jul 30, 2012, 04:13 AM
It DOES break lock-on.

...which is why I ask Cornelia to stop throwing stuff around whenever she's in my party. ^^;

I prefer to only use Wired Lance PAs to get close to an enemy (Grapple Charge), to group a ton of enemies together in a situation where you probably don't want a single lock-on (Other Spin), or to kill an enemy that I think I can kill in one hit (Heavenly Fall).

Of course that doesn't apply to bosses.

-Wayu

Angelo
Jul 30, 2012, 04:15 AM
...'the hell is Nova Strike?

GoldenFalcon
Jul 30, 2012, 04:16 AM
Well, it can also have the side effect of teleporting the grabbed target really far away, if the enemy position is sufficiently de-sync'd for other people
But that's true for Pickup Throw and Cruel Throw as well

Nova Strike is the charge PA that isn't Rising Edge

Wayu
Jul 30, 2012, 04:17 AM
...'the hell is Nova Strike?

Spinny sword PA.

-Wayu

Gardios
Jul 30, 2012, 04:17 AM
Sword has a dash kick, so the obvious answer is sword.

UnLucky
Jul 30, 2012, 04:18 AM
Wire lances have the unfortunate side effect of teleporting enemies all over the place because of the client sided enemy placement

At least with most other weapon PAs, only the drops teleport if you don't get the last hit.

Angelo
Jul 30, 2012, 04:20 AM
Spinny sword PA.

-Wayu

Not descriptive enough...

I'm going to assume it's the horizontal AoE one that I never use.

Wayu
Jul 30, 2012, 04:33 AM
@Angelo:

The one Zeno/Xeno uses. Chargable horizontal AoE swing that knocks enemies back.

-Wayu

Red*
Jul 30, 2012, 04:49 AM
Well, i stopped to use wired lancer. Heaven fall was ok, but the rest of the pa wont let your team hit the enemys and they will get mad on you. I prefer sword for bosses and partisan for the rest.

Ce'Nedra
Jul 30, 2012, 04:49 AM
The issue with the PA's is that the boss has to stand still, although, the point blank grab is fast enough to usually hit where you want it (especially when Ragne is roaring, shooting discs, or fallen over)

Well I never use them on a boss acctually, only time I did was when I had to do Josephs CO's (16min Catadran, 70 dragonkins + 3 Vol Dragons etc) and to me it felt like I was pretty useless cause I couldn't manage to get my PA's to work and my Daylight Scar is pretty weak as well so it felt like I couldn't do a thing. Guess I need to practice with them a bit.

Wire lances have the unfortunate side effect of teleporting enemies all over the place because of the client sided enemy placement

At least with most other weapon PAs, only the drops teleport if you don't get the last hit.

I noticed that as well and to be honest I find it quite annoying...It feels like Tornado Dance all over again x.x Sega should get enemy locations server side and not client side. Desynch sucks as well.

gigawuts
Jul 30, 2012, 04:51 AM
Not descriptive enough...

I'm going to assume it's the horizontal AoE one that I never use.

It's the horizontal spinny attack that you don't use but really really should. With 3 gear bars nothing outdamages it.

Vyscillius
Jul 30, 2012, 06:34 AM
Well I never use them on a boss acctually, only time I did was when I had to do Josephs CO's (16min Catadran, 70 dragonkins + 3 Vol Dragons etc) and to me it felt like I was pretty useless cause I couldn't manage to get my PA's to work and my Daylight Scar is pretty weak as well so it felt like I couldn't do a thing. Guess I need to practice with them a bit.

On Caterdan, I spammed Heavenly Fall, worked like a charm when timed right.

On Vol Dragons, WL's PAs are tricky to use. I found that the one working the best was Other Spin, it's fast and if you calculate the distance, you can pretty much hit anything on the boss (tail or horn, even the upper horn on its back)

To me, the hardest Josef's CO was the 3Vols with the Sword, without Sword Gear, it's sooooo long since 1)I don't do much damage, 2)the swings are so low that Vol is always out of range. The only tick that I found was to spam Sonic Arrow on its horn.

Ce'Nedra
Jul 30, 2012, 06:49 AM
On Caterdan, I spammed Heavenly Fall, worked like a charm when timed right.

On Vol Dragons, WL's PAs are tricky to use. I found that the one working the best was Other Spin, it's fast and if you calculate the distance, you can pretty much hit anything on the boss (tail or horn, even the upper horn on its back)

To me, the hardest Josef's CO was the 3Vols with the Sword, without Sword Gear, it's sooooo long since 1)I don't do much damage, 2)the swings are so low that Vol is always out of range. The only tick that I found was to spam Sonic Arrow on its horn.

Don't know any PA name aside the sword ones acctually ^^;

I use one that grabs and swings a enemy in circles to damage everything in range, then one that electrocutes the enemy and then one that grabs him and tosses him away in a small cycle that sucks other monsters in, which is the one kinda that i used on bosses.

Sword isn't that bad, you just need to have the patience to charge the PA's or use Sonic Arrow.

Wayu
Jul 30, 2012, 06:53 AM
I use one that grabs and swings a enemy in circles to damage everything in range, then one that electrocutes the enemy and then one that grabs him and tosses him away in a small cycle that sucks other monsters in, which is the one kinda that i used on bosses.

Another Cyclone, Holding Current, Other Spin.

-Wayu

Kondibon
Jul 30, 2012, 06:57 AM
Here we go again!

Swords... all day erryday. I love sword gear. I do use the other weapons though.

Mystil
Jul 30, 2012, 07:04 AM
Sword for bosses, Wirelance for mobs

Pretty much this. As much I want to main wirelance completely, it does not outdo swords on bosses.

Polly
Jul 30, 2012, 07:23 AM
Wired Lance for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert.

I tend to play exclusively with friends, so they're usually amused with my various I'M GONNA SPIN IT antics, and don't seem to mind me being able to group tons of enemies together for them to wail on.

Blizz3112
Jul 30, 2012, 07:33 AM
Really, I cannot choose. They work good in equal ways but for different purposes...

darkante
Jul 30, 2012, 07:36 AM
You spin me right round ba....ohh excuse my devastating spinning moves.
Hmmhmhmhmh...

Kondibon
Jul 30, 2012, 08:06 AM
You spin me right round ba....ohh excuse my devastating spinning moves.
Hmmhmhmhmh...

Wired Lance for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert.

I tend to play exclusively with friends, so they're usually amused with my various I'M GONNA SPIN IT antics, and don't seem to mind me being able to group tons of enemies together for them to wail on.

The chorus of this song is playing in my head.
It feels... appropriate somehow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw44JdK3p9k

Coatl
Jul 30, 2012, 08:08 AM
Wired lances are so weird! I love their design inside and out, but using them in battle feels so awkward.

Ce'Nedra
Jul 30, 2012, 08:09 AM
There isn't any WL out there that I like for looks aside Hyperion and I don't have that one T_T

Hope we get some better looking ones soon.

TaigaUC
Jul 30, 2012, 08:13 AM
I wanted to use all the weapons, but it's expensive to obtain and maintain strong weapons of each. I end up using whichever I have the strongest and most effective stats for, and I don't really like that. I'd like to be able to switch whenever I like, for fun.

I'm usually a Sword person, but I think they are lacking in Photon Arts compared to Wired Lance and Partisan. Swords also feel very slow. I find that the dash attack skill is a must as an opener, because Sword swings so slow that the first hit tends to be evaded. I'd really prefer that Sword Gear sped swings and movement up instead. I also think the non-rare Swords look a lot nicer than the rare ones.

Wired lance has a lot of fun attacks, but they tend to bug out and/or leave you wide open for lengthy periods. Grabs in general are kind of buggy, despite being great against annoying enemies. Whenever I do use Wired Lance, it feels like they make short work of regular enemies. Still feels awkward timing the regular attacks though, probably because the character swings twice before you can attack again.

Partisan feels fast and has nice looking attacks, but it seems like there's not much point in using much other than Speed Rain. It's probably the easiest and most generally effective weapon to use.

Can't say much about Gunslash. Haven't used it much for a long while.

Jakosifer
Jul 30, 2012, 08:24 AM
Sword for most bosses.
Partisans for general use.
Wired Lances when solo.

Breaking your teammates locks is not good CC, you're just fucking up the overall damage dealt to look cool.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that Sword and Partisan both suck compared to Fisting anyway.

BIG OLAF
Jul 30, 2012, 08:38 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that Sword and Partisan both suck compared to Fisting anyway.

Oh lordy, what.

Anyway, I use all three HU weapons when the situation calls for it. But, swords are probably my favorite, followed closely by the other two. You can't use just one weapon type, and nothing else, because then you're just hindering your potential combat-effectiveness.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 30, 2012, 08:57 AM
Can you get past lv2 Sword Gear in a full multiparty or even most bosses? :p I think I spend 80% of my time bottomed out while in full combat because things die before my swing connects. Maybe in a 3-man or so...

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome when it does get up there... it just doesn't get much use from me.

you need to abuse sonic arrow more. it builds sword gear really fast. i can gain lv 3 sword gear easy on bosses since generally there's trash mobs jumping around the boss.

if there are absolutely no mobs around though, and the boss moves around a lot, i generally won't be getting higher than lv 2 (panther bros) but even then, sonic arrow hits for decent damage at lvl 1.

in multi parties if you get to mobs first and chuck 3 sonic arrows generally you'll hit 3-4 mobs at a time, so you'll hit 12 times, and your sword gear will insta lv 3 though. just MJ

i like nova strike max charge but it bugs me so bad that you can't guard cancel out of it lol

Polly
Jul 30, 2012, 09:05 AM
Breaking your teammates locks is not good CC, you're just fucking up the overall damage dealt to look cool.

In a game that's this easy...they'll live. I lose targets to other people all the time with grabs, launches. and push aways, but ain't even care!

Crysteon
Jul 30, 2012, 09:30 AM
I'm more a Partisan user, but I dont discard the possibility of using Swords or Wired Lances. Each weapon has a moment where each can shine alone. I use partisans for almost everything that cannot be reached easily with Swords (non-surface weak spots)...for example: try to kill monsters like Gilnatch or Gilnas with both weapons...which one do you think it wins? According to my experience, Partisans win since both monsters weak points can be managed to take more damage using Speed Rain more than trying your luck aiming at moving Gilnas Core with Sonic Arrow.

I'm not exactly an avid user of Gunslashes, but those can really help when you cant reach certain weak spots with the rest of the weapons. One of the best example where Gunslashes excel is when you try to destroy Vol Dragon's back horn....try doing it with a Partisan or a Sword...you will clearly notice the damage consistency you can deal with Serpent Air, letting you juggle almost infinitely...which will cause the horn to break eventually faster compared to the mentioned weapons.

Anyway...the game is easy enough to let you kill things with whatever you want. Skill isn't even needed to win here, or at least I dont seem to find a practical use for skill when I solo bosses decently fast with standard gears.

Panzaera
Jul 30, 2012, 09:47 AM
Sword for most bosses.
Partisans for general use.
Wired Lances when solo.

Sorry, but lmfao.

Every kind of HU weapons are made for bosses/mobs but it depends on the boss/mob itself.

As example: I use a Partisan for Rockbear and a Sword for Dark Ragune.

Why? Because its easier & faster for me to kill Rockbear (Hard) with Speed rain than with sonic arrow used by a Sword.

Otherwise i deal a better amount of damage in short time at dark ragune's weak spot with sonic + JA spamm.

With a Gunblade i break the Tail of Vol. Dragon faster than with a Partisan or Sword.

All weapons are so different.

You can't category them as something like: " better for solo" better for boss " better for blabla "

All weapons have own unique skills. ( single/AoE ) It depends on you not on the weapon.

I am a Lv.40 Hunter and i am using all Weapons.

Jakosifer
Jul 30, 2012, 09:50 AM
I was saying what I use em for, clown.

Kondibon
Jul 30, 2012, 09:51 AM
Sorry, but lmfao.

Every kind of HU weapons are made for bosses/mobs but it depends on the boss/mob itself.

As example: I use a Partisan for Rockbear and a Sword for Dark Ragune.

Why? Because its easier & faster for me to kill Rockbear (Hard) with Speed rain than with sonic arrow used by a Sword.

Otherwise i deal a better amount of damage in short time at dark ragune's weak spot with sonic + JA spamm.

With a Gunblade i break the Tail of Vol. Dragon faster than with a Partisan or Sword.

All weapons are so different.

You can't category them as something like: " better for solo" better for boss " better for blabla "

All weapons have own unique skills. ( single/AoE ) It depends on you not on the weapon.

I am a Lv.40 Hunter and i am using all Weapons.I'm pretty sure he was just saying what he does. Also, there are other PAs besides Sonic and Speed rain.

Panzaera
Jul 30, 2012, 09:54 AM
I'm pretty sure he was just saying what he does. Also, there are other PAs besides Sonic and Speed rain.

Sorry :D I thought it was a discuss thread, my fault.
And yes i know that there are more PAs. :3

HFlowen
Jul 30, 2012, 09:58 AM
I find hunters that like to use wirelances in big parties to be goddamn annoying on occasion. It's great when everyone is targeting a larger enemy, then someone has to use some kind of PA that grabs the enemy and spins him around for half an hour, breaking everyones lock and making it almost impossible to continue hitting it while it is stuck in that animation.

Kirukia
Jul 30, 2012, 10:08 AM
Wired Lances, unless I'm facing a boss, then I'll generally use a sword.

The Walrus
Jul 30, 2012, 10:23 AM
I use Swords most of the time though I do enjoy switching over to Parts for some Speed Rain spam at times. I'll prolly use Parts a lot more when I get a Soul Eater

Enforcer MKV
Jul 30, 2012, 11:27 AM
Partisan and Gunslash.

Swords are alright....but I think W.Lance kinda sucks.

Oh, god, Cornelia is gonna kill me. Help me, Nedra, I don't wanna die! T_T

Mystil
Jul 30, 2012, 12:44 PM
I find hunters that like to use wirelances in big parties to be goddamn annoying on occasion. It's great when everyone is targeting a larger enemy, then someone has to use some kind of PA that grabs the enemy and spins him around for half an hour, breaking everyones lock and making it almost impossible to continue hitting it while it is stuck in that animation.

First PA is better in that case. Has moderate AOE affect and can be endlessly spammed unlike the 2 step process you need to get to the spinner(depends if their palette is setup that way..)

Zorafim
Jul 30, 2012, 12:55 PM
An interesting comparison between this thread and the force thread. A good force will know when to switch between the rod and the cards, since you can't do everything with one weapon. Melee weapons don't seem to have this limitation. You can pretty much do whatever you want with any melee weapon you chose. In fact, because you need to spec specifically for a weapon, it's probably best to specialize in one weapon. This makes this thread much more viable than the last.

As for my choice, definitely partisan. First of all, this is the neatest looking lance I've ever played with. And I love myself my lances. Secondly, it has good range, speed, and power. With the other weapons, I have to sacrifice something, but partisan has everything I need. It also has a good selection of PAs, while wire lance is stuck with grapples, and I have trouble finding skills I like with the sword. And lastly, I much prefer to dodge an attack than block it, which partisans do beautifully.

So I have to ask. Why are the two lance types bunched together in this pole? And why, despite that, is sword still winning?

Ce'Nedra
Jul 30, 2012, 12:58 PM
Partisan and Gunslash.

Swords are alright....but I think W.Lance kinda sucks.

Oh, god, Cornelia is gonna kill me. Help me, Nedra, I don't wanna die! T_T

Well I'm still alive :3 I'm sure you'll do fine... if not you'll die peacfully at the hands of a beautifull Maiden like her, what is there to complain? :)

@Zorafim: His option Lances mean Wired Lances and not Partisans. People need to stop calling Partisans either lances or spears...its a Partisan and nothing else and OP should have put up all 4 weapons typs and not only 2 of them.

eharima
Jul 30, 2012, 01:03 PM
after playing RA as a main, then coming to hunter, dont you find IT FKN SUCKS having a rotating action pallet, having to do basic attack one more time to get the right PA?

sure blocking is important but id rather it be a mappable key and have 4 slots for PA like a RA...

Blizz3112
Jul 30, 2012, 01:15 PM
after playing RA as a main, then coming to hunter, dont you find IT FKN SUCKS having a rotating action pallet, having to do basic attack one more time to get the right PA?

sure blocking is important but id rather it be a mappable key and have 4 slots for PA like a RA...

What's that got to do with Lances and Swords?

Zorafim
Jul 30, 2012, 01:28 PM
@Zorafim: His option Lances mean Wired Lances and not Partisans.

Some lances look like your ordinary lance while others look like yoyo's with sharp blades attached to them.

People need to stop calling Partisans either lances or spears...its a Partisan and nothing else

Partisan (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cb/Yeomen_of_the_Guard.JPG/220px-Yeomen_of_the_Guard.JPG), Lance (http://www.legionsix.org/images/dioonguard.jpg), Spear (http://www.kingofswords.com/images/ColdSteelBoarSpear.jpg). To be fair, what we're used to as the typical partisan model is more like a Naginata (http://cdn101.iofferphoto.com/img/item/200/504/648/64in-japanese-naginata-sword-5ca7c.jpg). So, should I call it what I usually call it when I see one (A lance), what the game calls it (A partisan), or what the model actually looks like (a naginata)? I have the easiest time saying lance, but then they go and make another weapon's name lance to confuse us even more. And if we're talking about the model that looks like a partisan, I could even add the argument that there's another model that's a halberd. (http://www.mamalisa.com/images/blog/halberd.gif)

and OP should have put up all 4 weapons typs and not only 2 of them.

Quoted for truth. Though, I can see gunblades not being on there. It's more of a hybrid weapon, and hunters rarely get any unless they're rares or handmedowns. And we don't really get any gears for them either, plus they don't block...

dont you find IT FKN SUCKS having a rotating action pallet, having to do basic attack one more time to get the right PA?

I kind of find it fun. It's like a basic combo. You can't perform a certain move unless your body is positioned a certain way. Adds more complexity to combat, and lets me have more fun. The best way to get used to it is by mapping the PAs to your preference. For instance, I have my AoE mapped to the first combo move, so I can dodge into a group of enemies, do my dash attack, and JA into an AoE. Then I have my basic damage PA mapped to the second combo slot, so I can JA from a normal attack to a damage attack. And I have a slow finisher on my third slot, so I can perform it when the enemy is stumbling from my other attacks. I'll get it either after my previous PA, or after a long series of normal attacks to regenerate PP.

Vashyron
Jul 30, 2012, 01:37 PM
You can get RA/FO like switching PAs if you use a Keyboard, Link the same weapon several times to your pallet and each row have just one PA all across it. Now you can change up to 6 PAs on the flow by using the Numpad.

It does annoy me that it's possible to have a RA/FO like PA switching by sacrificing your Weapon Slots, I'd like it as a normal option without some messy work around.
(Or that Work around removed if Sega makes it clear they don't want Hunter PAs to be used that way.)

Enforcer MKV
Jul 30, 2012, 01:43 PM
if not you'll die peacfully at the hands of a beautifull Maiden like her, what is there to complain? :)

*Looks at the humongous W.Lances on Cornelia's hips.* Peaceful.....aha......right...... T_T

And I won't be able to complain, she's liable to run me through with the damn things.....

At least you got the beautiful part right.....*grumble*

Kondibon
Jul 30, 2012, 01:47 PM
Partisan (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cb/Yeomen_of_the_Guard.JPG/220px-Yeomen_of_the_Guard.JPG), Lance (http://www.legionsix.org/images/dioonguard.jpg), Spear (http://www.kingofswords.com/images/ColdSteelBoarSpear.jpg). To be fair, what we're used to as the typical partisan model is more like a Naginata (http://cdn101.iofferphoto.com/img/item/200/504/648/64in-japanese-naginata-sword-5ca7c.jpg). So, should I call it what I usually call it when I see one (A lance), what the game calls it (A partisan), or what the model actually looks like (a naginata)? I have the easiest time saying lance, but then they go and make another weapon's name lance to confuse us even more. And if we're talking about the model that looks like a partisan, I could even add the argument that there's another model that's a halberd. (http://www.mamalisa.com/images/blog/halberd.gif)

You have no idea how happy I am some one else noticed that. The basic "Partisan" looks more like a bardiche to me. "Halberd" is a partisan? Glaive is a Halberd...?

Oh and the sword "Claymore" is a katana... wat?

Jakosifer
Jul 30, 2012, 01:51 PM
Phantasy Star Logic awww yeah.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 30, 2012, 02:17 PM
You have no idea how happy I am some one else noticed that. The basic "Partisan" looks more like a bardiche to me. "Halberd" is a partisan? Glaive is a Halberd...?

Oh and the sword "Claymore" is a katana... wat?

I would argue that the basic partisan weapon looks like a glaive, since their models are disjointed from their names in a clockwise fashion

Kondibon
Jul 30, 2012, 02:26 PM
I would argue that the basic partisan weapon looks like a glaive, since their models are disjointed from their names in a clockwise fashion

Mind.

Blown.

Ueno54
Jul 30, 2012, 02:53 PM
I like sword the most. Quickest blocking and with sword gear has some awesome PAs.

Blizz3112
Jul 30, 2012, 03:21 PM

Or a Guisarme... if you like... ;-)

GoldenFalcon
Jul 30, 2012, 03:39 PM
Or a Guisarme... if you like... ;-)

Those seem to have a hook fetish, so I cannot agree

Blizz3112
Jul 30, 2012, 03:42 PM
http://p2o.wikkii.net/images/4/4e/Ui_item_1030005.png

Luts of hooks... ;-)

Gardios
Jul 30, 2012, 03:45 PM
PSO2 partisans = blades on a long stick.

Enforcer MKV
Jul 30, 2012, 03:46 PM
PSO2 partisans = blades on a long stick.

It's a beautiful thing, isn't it?

GoldenFalcon
Jul 30, 2012, 03:48 PM
http://p2o.wikkii.net/images/4/4e/Ui_item_1030005.png

Luts of hooks... ;-)

That's a Partisan

Blizz3112
Jul 30, 2012, 03:52 PM
Or, if you look back at PSO 1:
A hoe/rake, or just a pointy stick, or a music instrument, or a scythe, or a parasol/umbrella, or a fan, or a golf club, or a butterfly net... ;-)

[SPOILER-BOX]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Yeomen_of_the_Guard.JPG[/SPOILER-BOX]
This pic shows real partisans btw...

GoldenFalcon
Jul 30, 2012, 04:02 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Yeomen_of_the_Guard.JPG[/SPOILER-BOX]

Yeah, that's the picture you posted ('Halberd')

Enforcer MKV
Jul 30, 2012, 04:03 PM
A hoe/rake, or just a pointy stick, or a music instrument, or a scythe, or a parasol/umbrella, or a fan, or a golf club, or a butterfly net... ;-)

THAT would be a bad ass weapon to get.

Lostbob117
Jul 30, 2012, 04:13 PM
Another Cyclone, Holding Current, Other Spin.

-Wayu

Don't know if anyone corrected you but it's Other cyclone not another cyclone.

Kondibon
Jul 30, 2012, 04:14 PM

Those are ceremonial partisans. Partisans used to actually stab people looked like this.
[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.tomsarazac.com/tom/images/nethack/partisans.gif
http://therionarms.com/armor/polearm11.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Blizz3112
Jul 30, 2012, 04:32 PM
The last one is a Ranseur... Its not always easy to determine the difference between them though... so best not to keep discussing it, I guess...

GoldenFalcon
Jul 30, 2012, 04:34 PM
Those are ceremonial partisans. Partisans used to actually stab people looked like this.
[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.tomsarazac.com/tom/images/nethack/partisans.gif[/SPOILER-BOX]

I really like that 4th one

gigawuts
Jul 30, 2012, 04:36 PM
I think I've seen that 4th one before. Was it a rare in PSO that I don't really remember because I didn't use partisans much, or maybe one of the different models in PSU?

Zorafim
Jul 30, 2012, 05:14 PM
Man. This thread got awesome since I posted in it. I've gotta post in more threads!

Windadept
Jul 30, 2012, 09:39 PM
Not gonna vote, because I use all 3 weapons, and I have all 3 gear talents.
The awesome thing about Hunters is that their weapon selection is slightly more versatile compared to forces and rangers (we have 3 exclusives, while the other have 2 each).
I find each weapon to be mostly situational.

First of all it depends on whether I'm fighting something solo or with a larger group.
If I'm in a MPA in Tundra, I tend to use Wired Lances since most monsters move extremely slow and can be grabbed (Using Heavenly Fall to one shot a King Yede is just hilarious). Holding Current is great for keeping Gawondas still to prevent them from using their shields.

If I'm in a MPA in Volcanos, I tend to use Sword. Sonic arrow's trajectory covers a good amount of straight line ground and deals a good amount of damage.
I find Partisan to be the most effective against rockbear, you can spam Speed Rain and Trick Rave from a relatively safe distance (when your gear is charged) without having to bother dodging most of his attacks.
When I don't mind getting closer, I'll use a WL against him and spam Heavenly Fall on his weakspot for massive damage.

Against Vol Dragon I like to rotate between Sword and Partisan. I use Sonic Arrow and Rising Edge for breaking his horns. As for his tail, I switch to Partisan and use Speed Rain and Trick Rave as they are more precise (Since Vol Dragon has multiple hitboxes on his tail, Sonic Arrow more often than not hits boxes other than the lava crystal).

When it comes to Ragne, Partisan hands down. Just staying at his side and using Trick Rave properly will guarantee almost every hit from it will land on his weakspot without the need to bring down his legs beforehand.

As for Snow Banshee and Panther, Sword is the most effective since you need to be able to use Just Guard at any given moment.
Swords and Wired Lances are awesome against Guwandas since they both can cover large areas with quick hits if you want to take out the tentacles.
Jumping and using Sonic Arrow at the right altitude will hit several tentacle weak spots, same goes for Other Cyclone when using WL.

As for Tranmizers, Sword and Partisan. Partisan for speed rain spam and step cancellations when you need to avoid his attacks, and the Sword's Sonic Arrow for hitting his weakspot (Sonic Arrow or fully charged Sword Gear Nova Strike are quick hitting and are great since his weakspot is exposed for only a brief period.

Won't cover Catadrans since they're simply a joke.

Finally, any weapon of your choice is fine for Big Vader, because he's just a giant "KICK ME!" sign that shoots missiles.

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 30, 2012, 10:58 PM
I always use swords. It's the only weapon I used in PSU for my main and it's the only weapon I'll use in PSO2.

sword just to show off my アーディロウ LOL

omg go die in a fire... like now :|

*been hunting that sword for over a week now*

10011408V3.9
Jul 30, 2012, 11:19 PM
I main in sword when I'm running HU. I find there's no weakness that sword has that can't be compensated for with experience (in addition to gear and step-attack) and no strength in the other HU-specific weapons to give up the flexibility of a sword's guard.

I do feel a bit guilty about abusing sonic arrow so much but it's just too damn good with the gear. Especially when you combine it with Lepus's (tech 1st evolution) occasional PP regen buff it makes for a great PP-dump. I've gone on to nickname the palette that just has 3 sonic arrows with the MAG as "Photon Phling" as it dumps quick and fills up almost as fast.

Crimson Exile
Jul 31, 2012, 01:16 AM
I main in sword when I'm running HU. I find there's no weakness that sword has that can't be compensated for with experience (in addition to gear and step-attack) and no strength in the other HU-specific weapons to give up the flexibility of a sword's guard.

I do feel a bit guilty about abusing sonic arrow so much but it's just too damn good with the gear. Especially when you combine it with Lepus's (tech 1st evolution) occasional PP regen buff it makes for a great PP-dump. I've gone on to nickname the palette that just has 3 sonic arrows with the MAG as "Photon Phling" as it dumps quick and fills up almost as fast.
Agree with you nothing better than the sword. Just to good all around.

supersonix9
Jul 31, 2012, 01:27 AM
Speed Rain with Partisans. All ya need.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 31, 2012, 01:31 AM
I tried to get into using Spear Gear and Wire Gear
I really did
But it was a lot of time spent not doing PA's, which made me sad
So I stick with Sword, and use Wireblade without gear occasionally just to spam fun stuff on mobs

Hansha
Jul 31, 2012, 03:58 AM
Sword because Sonic Arrow its the fastest damage. Speed Rain takes too long to complete, only being superior if enemies are slightly more spread out than normal. I found that 2-3 Sonic Arrows wrecks entire mobs.
But Trick Rave is the most fun PA.

Lostbob117
Jul 31, 2012, 04:03 AM
Since people started talking about other hunter weapons for some odd reason, I'll say this gunslash on bosses with thrillsplosion.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 31, 2012, 02:34 PM
[_] Sword
[_] Lance
[X] Wired Partisan

Nothing beats kicking enemies in the face or pile driving them. I'm only even using a Sword because of the 10% exp bonus.

Mariodante
Jul 31, 2012, 09:30 PM
I REALLY dislike the wired lance sine it's so awkward and slow. Can't get into it 9.9

The sword is perfect against bosses; you can guard just in time.

On the whole, though, I believe the partisan is best. It's offensive capabilities are undoubtedly beyond the other options. I'm almost positive that's why it's gear perk is with the Fury perks.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 31, 2012, 09:35 PM
On the whole, though, I believe the partisan is best. It's offensive capabilities are undoubtedly beyond the other options.

How.?

gigawuts
Jul 31, 2012, 09:37 PM
How.?

The PA's have nice range, don't require an enemy to be grabbed, and don't require a warmup period of dealing X damage in the last Y seconds to do the best damage they can.

They're good at the drop of a hat, but swords will outdo them after a set period of time.

BlueCast Boy
Jul 31, 2012, 09:40 PM
Can't decide both weapons are so good, sword have raw damage but partisans is kinda fast.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 31, 2012, 09:41 PM
The PA's have nice range, don't require an enemy to be grabbed, and don't require a warmup period of dealing X damage in the last Y seconds to do the best damage they can.

They're good at the drop of a hat, but swords will outdo them after a set period of time.

Sword normal attack can do like 400 ish for me, and JA Aeros can pump out 800 without gear, while the spear guy is rooted in place for over 2 seconds with his Speed Rain that might hit 300 per wave

gigawuts
Jul 31, 2012, 10:01 PM
It's not the damage, it's the speed with which it's applied and the damage-to-PP-spent ratio. Speed rain hits, what, five times for 30 PP? With that on a meager 337 damage 3 star partisan I still hit for 230+ per swipe per target on the Gilnatch healing bots in the mines. I hit them, everything behind them, and even a few things behind myself. That adds up fast.

I can understand investing heavily in a partisan and spamming it, but I also prefer the sword because in fights that last long enough to fill the second bar on sword gear the sword will generally perform better.

ZcRaider
Jul 31, 2012, 10:10 PM
Well i dont solely depend on just one or two weapons when I play games like this.

Having practiced Martial arts in RL, I learned every move has a purpose and a situation.

When i'm playing as hunter:

I use the right weapon or PA, for the right situation. Did the same thing for PSU.

Sword - Side Kick > Sonic Boom for mobs and bosses on flat turrains. Dont really use the other moves. Not my style.

Spear - Speed Rain for mobs and bosses on tricky turrains. Period. Solid DPS, even on Flat turrains.

Wire lance - Reserved for mini-boss lvl enemies ONLY. (Flying kick > Grab > Eletric / Just-dodge - Electric) Any other use, leaves you open at times. I dont like being left open to attack. Electric does leave you open, so it is only used when i need to finish a pesky mini-boss and stop him from moving around.

Gunblade - Multi-Stab > Spiral for when i need PIN POINT DAMAGE to weak areas. Even on bosses. BONUS--->Sometimes I use this technique with my Ranger. Rifle can be clunky at times, and the gunblade is really good at putting damage where you need it when you need to drop Strong Enemies quick. Espeically in conjuction with weakbullet. Dont use it for bosses much..but it has been done.

NoiseHERO
Jul 31, 2012, 10:13 PM
Dodging with sword sucks and all of it's Pa's.

Wired-lance makes it annoying for other people to attack enemies and it's PA's hold you in place.

Spear is... dum... but cool looking...! D<

gigawuts
Jul 31, 2012, 10:22 PM

Wired-lance makes it annoying for other people to attack enemies and it's PA's hold you in place.

Dodging does indeed suck with sword (discounting step attack, where it's fantastic), but its block is great. You can cut so many attacks short with block without actually stopping them, in fact if you fully charge nova strike you can block DURING the end of the spin animation. I frequently block while still spinning. I see the blue shield and wind effect, keep spinning, and hit one or two more times even after I've just guarded against something.

The partisan is by far the best blocker and dodger though, and the partisan can interrupt any PA by blocking in midair. You can't block during a PA while on the ground, but you can dash or jump. Jump+block in rapid succession is a great trick to get the hang of with partisans.

NoiseHERO
Jul 31, 2012, 10:25 PM
Dodging does indeed suck with sword (discounting step attack, where it's fantastic), but its block is great. You can cut so many attacks short with block without actually stopping them, in fact if you fully charge nova strike you can block DURING the end of the spin animation. I frequently block while still spinning. I see the blue shield and wind effect, keep spinning, and hit one or two more times even after I've just guarded against something.

The partisan is by far the best blocker and dodger though, and the partisan can interrupt any PA by blocking in midair. You can't block during a PA while on the ground, but you can dash or jump. Jump+block in rapid succession is a great trick to get the hang of with partisans.

Agreed on all that...

But the reason sword isn't exactly for me is because of how awkward I felt getting used to blocking more than dodging.

I main WL, but I'd probably be able to get really comfortable with spear easily...

Also, still loving my maxed out step tree.

ZcRaider
Jul 31, 2012, 10:31 PM
Agreed on all that...

But the reason sword isn't exactly for me is because of how awkward I felt getting used to blocking more than dodging.

I main WL, but I'd probably be able to get really comfortable with spear easily...

Also, still loving my maxed out step tree.

Not a huge fan of the sword. Only use it for the mult-hit sonic boom. Pretty handy when you need to drop some damage on a mob or boss. Dodge, sonic boom, dodge, sonic boom. Good agaisnt bosses where you cant afford to stand in one place and spam sonic arrow. Its like your mailing the damage, and then you evade.

I do love my spear however. I just have learned to respect the sword.

moorebounce
Jul 31, 2012, 11:27 PM
I used to use the sword most of the time because of it's power until I started liking the grabs of the wired lance and how it is better than a sword in crowd control. The way I have my wired lance PAs setup is Heavenly Fall, Azasupin and Azasupin. Unless I run into a mob I like to hit the first enemy with the heavely fall then takes some just attacks to kill them off while charging my Photon Power or Points back up. If I run into a mob them I hit the first enemy with a regular attack to switch to the Azasupin and proceed to group all the enemies together in a close group to make it easier for them to be killed by me or the party. The other thing I like about the Azasupin PA is you might have a straggler and you can pick up the enemy and move them right back with the rest of the mob.

pikachief
Aug 1, 2012, 01:14 AM

idk i fought the caterdran multiple times solo on my lvl 15 hunter and I would hardly get hit by only dodging (because I'm terrible at blocking lol)

but I don't know maybe I'm just good at dodging but i don't think dodging with a sword is that bad.

Mystil
Aug 1, 2012, 01:32 AM
Same here. I'm much better at dodging than blocking. Fight Rockbear a few times or a huge pack of golfs and you master the art of dodging that's for sure..

I main wired lance and I use sword for big mobs. But after playing my first 2 MPAs yesterday, I quickly realized how much WL is at a disadvantage because of its somewhat anti-MPA PAs. 2 of them I know that helps though is the one that you pick them up and drop them on their heads, and holding current. Infact Holding Current is very good for those "hold-able" big mobs that are known to be a pain in the ass in the city. So I just get them in an in endless holding chain so others can whack on them to death. The "spinner"(I guess it's what you all call Other Spin) screws with lock ons, so I stay away from it unless it gets hairy.

Sword is strong, even its JA attacks are powerful enough that you don't need to use a PA sometimes.