PDA

View Full Version : Force Buffing in PSO2

Valymer
Aug 1, 2012, 08:02 AM
I know it's still relatively early in the stages of theory-crafting for this game, but I was wondering what the opinions were on this:

PSO2 is unique to the other MMOs that I have played, in that the healers are also the nukers (Force). This has led me to many questions about the optimal use of PP, as there are many things to spend it on.

In terms of PP efficiency, do you think the ADPS from Shifta exceeds the damage that would be caused by straight chain-nuking? (assuming a DPS-oriented skill tree build)

I already know that this is going to depend heavily on group makeup. I can assume that when solo, it's rather pointless to waste PP and time stopping to buff yourself, considering the insanely short duration of these buffs, and the power of the offensive technics. But in a multi-party situation, let's say a full 12-man, in at-level content, is it worth it?

The range of the beneficial technics in this game is maddeningly short, which is something else that makes me wonder whether I should even bother trying to cast these. The same thing goes for Deband, why bother to cast it when I could just spam Resta if anyone is even taking damage?

To all you Force players out there, how do you handle buffing so far in this game?

It's sad but I think I would buy 20 dollars worth of AC if SEGA sold something in the Shop that let me increase the range and duration of my technics...

Ana-Chan
Aug 1, 2012, 08:19 AM
I know it's still relatively early in the stages of theory-crafting for this game, but I was wondering what the opinions were on this:

PSO2 is unique to the other MMOs that I have played, in that the healers are also the nukers (Force). This has led me to many questions about the optimal use of PP, as there are many things to spend it on.

In terms of PP efficiency, do you think the ADPS from Shifta exceeds the damage that would be caused by straight chain-nuking? (assuming a DPS-oriented skill tree build)

I already know that this is going to depend heavily on group makeup. I can assume that when solo, it's rather pointless to waste PP and time stopping to buff yourself, considering the insanely short duration of these buffs, and the power of the offensive technics. But in a multi-party situation, let's say a full 12-man, in at-level content, is it worth it?

The range of the beneficial technics in this game is maddeningly short, which is something else that makes me wonder whether I should even bother trying to cast these. The same thing goes for Deband, why bother to cast it when I could just spam Resta if anyone is even taking damage?

To all you Force players out there, how do you handle buffing so far in this game?

It's sad but I think I would buy 20 dollars worth of AC if SEGA sold something in the Shop that let me increase the range and duration of my technics...

As you said, it is still early. In PSO, you could pretty much ignore the buffs early on (easily into very hard) because what they gave wasn't a big enough difference. Also, the area of effect has never been that great, especially at lower levels.
So right now, I'd say don't worry too much about shifta and deband. While they can give a bit of a boost, I wouldn't think that it is worthwhile yet. For resta and anti, this depends on circumstance and danger to you. If you can get a talis in or get yourself to the others with relative safety then go ahead, but I wouldn't do it for just little bumps or scratches.

Ce'Nedra
Aug 1, 2012, 08:23 AM
We don't even have Very Hard yet, just wait patiently so that they can become more usefull. As far for the range part, i would assume the range increases per level, and maybe we get stuff like Shifta Merge and Rest Merge like back on PSO in form on units who have that ability.

Kondibon
Aug 1, 2012, 08:41 AM
I can assume that when solo, it's rather pointless to waste PP and time stopping to buff yoursel

Actually I find it pretty efficient, especially during times that you can't hit bosses anyway. The damage boost is noticable for only taking like a second to cast shifta. Deband isn't as useful though.

About the rest of your stuff As others have said, we're guessing that buff tech ranges and duration will increase as we get the level 11 21 and 31 techs in future updates. I really hope so because I love playing support.

Crystal_Shard
Aug 1, 2012, 09:09 AM
Sega's going to try their hardest to make sure you buy more than $20 worth of course. ^_^

Playing support is very much a "nice to have" at the moment with the current low ranges and short durations. I generally make it a point to boost my team upon entering a stage, and before facing a boss. I also try my hardest to save people from needing to use mates, but often times, the pace of the game is such that my teammates need to pop one immediately, because the boss is right on their tail - they simply can't wait for me (or my card) to get in range.

Ce'Nedra
Aug 1, 2012, 09:13 AM
Sega's going to try their hardest to make sure you buy more than $20 worth of course. ^_^

Playing support is very much a "nice to have" at the moment with the current low ranges and short durations. I generally make it a point to boost my team upon entering a stage, and before facing a boss. I also try my hardest to save people from needing to use mates, but often times, the pace of the game is such that my teammates need to pop one immediately, because the boss is right on their tail - they simply can't wait for me (or my card) to get in range.

That's something we need to get used to. The game is much more faster then PSO was so we can't wit for a force to see HP bar drop and then cast resta like in PSO. PSO also had a much harder time to chain you to death so it was much easier to heal yourself.

It is kinda annoying though that forces Resta is basiclly only for themselfs unless you cast it randomly in hope it heals someone at the right point.

UnLucky
Aug 1, 2012, 09:15 AM
Shifta is always worth it unless you have an insanely good weapon and terrible base stats.

It's a pretty good bonus for the cost of a single basic tech.

Crystal_Shard
Aug 1, 2012, 09:19 AM
That's something we need to get used to. The game is much more faster then PSO was so we can't wit for a force to see HP bar drop and then cast resta like in PSO. PSO also had a much harder time to chain you to death so it was much easier to heal yourself.

It is kinda annoying though that forces Resta is basiclly only for themselfs unless you cast it randomly in hope it heals someone at the right point.

The best time to be a support force is in the middle of a large MPA group. You're guaranteed to buff somebody in that kind of situation. XD

Ce'Nedra
Aug 1, 2012, 09:24 AM
The best time to be a support force is in the middle of a large MPA group. You're guaranteed to buff somebody in that kind of situation. XD

Yeah because people are just everywhere, but there is no efficient healing and buffing so far in the game becuase of these uber short ranges. You need to happen to be next to a force litterly to get in range.

UnLucky
Aug 1, 2012, 09:28 AM

The problem is you can't react to damage because either the other player heals themself by the time you're finished charging Resta, or they took so much damage that they're running off into a corner or outright died.

You also can't properly plan for damage because every class can completely negate any attack with invulnerability or simple placement. It just isn't worth it to preemptively heal.

moorebounce
Aug 1, 2012, 09:32 AM
Like mentioned it's still early so we don't know how high these discs will go. Will they be topped out at 30 like PSO or will it be even higher. Either way it's early so later on it will get better.

I do Anti and Resta most of the time. I do find myself going up to hunters using swords while doing code destruction and buffing them other than that I don't really do it.

Arkhanno
Aug 1, 2012, 10:40 AM
As a Force I always try to buff inbetween groups of mobs. I try to stay in front of the group when we're running around so I can get everyone as they run forward. If I miss someone then oh well. They'll have to wait for the next one.

Shifta gives me a 70 Tech Attack bonus last I checked. (I'm a level 20 Force, if that matters) It isn't much, but it does help out. I've also noticed that the higher your stats the more of an increase you get.

Valymer
Aug 1, 2012, 11:54 AM
I see, thanks for all of the responses, it's pretty much what I figured. I never played (or even heard of) any of the other PS games, so I have no idea where they are going with some of this stuff. That's good to hear about the range (possibly) increasing later on.

If Shifta is boosting ATK that much, then it does seem worth it. I think I'm going to swap out Deband for Gigrants on my rod though, that way I don't have to switch weapons to use it. As someone else mentioned, defense buffs aren't doing a great deal at this stage of the game when anyone can instantly heal themselves to full with a common drop/vendor sold potion.

I really do like how Force can both (with some difficulty right now) heal and do really nice DPS. I'm definitely interested to see where these subclasses are going to put us.

DARKWINGDARA
Aug 1, 2012, 12:04 PM
I see, thanks for all of the responses, it's pretty much what I figured. I never played (or even heard of) any of the other PS games, so I have no idea where they are going with some of this stuff. That's good to hear about the range (possibly) increasing later on.

If Shifta is boosting ATK that much, then it does seem worth it. I think I'm going to swap out Deband for Gigrants on my rod though, that way I don't have to switch weapons to use it. As someone else mentioned, defense buffs aren't doing a great deal at this stage of the game when anyone can instantly heal themselves to full with a common drop/vendor sold potion.

I really do like how Force can both (with some difficulty right now) heal and do really nice DPS. I'm definitely interested to see where these subclasses are going to put us.

you can put spells on your hotbar.
2nd button in menu, third option.

Valymer
Aug 1, 2012, 02:40 PM
Ahh, forgot about that, thanks! Well, these buff PAs are getting relegated to there for now (Deband for sure).

One thing I'm noticing is that certain NPCs (I guess the Force ones) will cast buffs a lot - so if you or someone else has one of them along for the ride, you end up buffed some of the time anyways.

Zipzo
Aug 1, 2012, 03:45 PM
It isn't required now but I really hope it becomes more of a necessity.

In PSO, S&D was a thing. You did not do ruins runs/TTF/Seabed runs without a Force for SD. It wasn't efficient in the slightest, and it made things a ridiculous amount easier to have a Force.

Another thing to remember is that at level 30, Resta had an godly range, especially for those with med bag weapons, who would quick-equip switch before casting Resta (me), there was pretty much no way I wasn't going to hit you with Resta if you were in the same room as me.

Valymer
Aug 1, 2012, 07:22 PM
It isn't required now but I really hope it becomes more of a necessity.

In PSO, S&D was a thing. You did not do ruins runs/TTF/Seabed runs without a Force for SD. It wasn't efficient in the slightest, and it made things a ridiculous amount easier to have a Force.

Another thing to remember is that at level 30, Resta had an godly range, especially for those with med bag weapons, who would quick-equip switch before casting Resta (me), there was pretty much no way I wasn't going to hit you with Resta if you were in the same room as me.

Wow, sounds like I have a lot to look forward to then if they even come close to making this a reality in PSO2. Thanks for bringing a hopeful tear of joy to my eye