PDA

View Full Version : english patch discussion

GrieverXVII
Aug 1, 2012, 12:44 PM
I know the other thread was closed. This one is merely for discussion. Please no posting of links that modify the game, and please respect both sega's and pso-world's rules and guidelines.

Imo, the video of the english patch proves it's client sided as they say certain things couldnt be translated like items and weapons because those are server sided. So as long as this stays client sided there should be no reason anyone should remotely know or tell that you are using an english patch. I highly doubt anyone will be banned...just dont be stupid about it. It may be against sega's rules so punishment should be accepted if it happens and it is at your own risk. But client sided things are practically safe unless you gain too much attention or give them proof or reason to ban you. I think its great because it could bring more people to the game and increase profits to support the game. Ball's in sega's court on this one...

BGO
Aug 1, 2012, 12:47 PM
SIDED....

MissMalice
Aug 1, 2012, 12:50 PM
I'm actually wondering if we'll have to keep applying the English patch to our client after ever maintenance/update. From last night's maintenance, I had started patching normally before I went to bed. I added the english patch just this morning. Then I got on my husband's computer--forgetting about the maintenance patch--and applied the english patch to his client. Then I updated. The english patch didn't work, so I applied it again after his client finished updating and it worked.

So it just makes me a bit curious if we'll have to keep applying it after every official patch. o.o

jmanx
Aug 1, 2012, 12:50 PM
PSO World peps are pretty dum cuz I mean even the producer supported it plus its only client side can't really tell if your using it or not

Kirukia
Aug 1, 2012, 12:52 PM
Yeah I don't see how it could result in bans unless you make it crazy obvious you're using it, and that's only if they care enough to disrupt it.

KyAniki
Aug 1, 2012, 12:59 PM
And Yes, most likely every time the game updates, the English patch will have to be reapplied.

Item names and descriptions are server side so those will not be translated.

Gardios
Aug 1, 2012, 01:00 PM
I'm actually wondering if we'll have to keep applying the English patch to our client after ever maintenance/update. From last night's maintenance, I had started patching normally before I went to bed. I added the english patch just this morning. Then I got on my husband's computer--forgetting about the maintenance patch--and applied the english patch to his client. Then I updated. The english patch didn't work, so I applied it again after his client finished updating and it worked.

So it just makes me a bit curious if we'll have to keep applying it after every official patch. o.o

I'm not involved with the patch so take this with a grain of salt, but that's highly likely. Since you're doing a file check when patching, the server sees that the files you have are "broken" and downloads them again.

Kanore
Aug 1, 2012, 01:01 PM
i'm pretty sure someone will get banned for using obscene symbol chats and avoiding the chat filter before getting banned for using the english patch

MissMalice
And Yes, most likely every time the game updates, the English patch will have to be reapplied.

Oh well. c: A small price to pay. Only takes a few seconds to extract anyways~

Tosoto
I havent seen anyone post anything about it yet, but it looks like it just came out today, i have tested it my self and it works amazingly

This was Created by Agrajag

basically you go to your pso2 folder and go to bin/data/win32 and then put all the files in the download, into your win32 folder

They have translated the character creation screen, the login screens, and pretty much all in game client side menus.

Kirukia
Aug 1, 2012, 01:11 PM
i'm pretty sure someone will get banned for using obscene symbol chats and avoiding the chat filter before getting banned for using the english patch

It's even more likely that someone will get banned for one of those things and then assume they were banned for using the english patch. Then a bunch of threads will pop up here and there will be a shitstorm.

Stinks it has to be re-applied, but it's a nice patch. Good work to whoever helped create it.

oifjustus
Aug 1, 2012, 01:12 PM
Well the best part of it is the attribute/ability translations.

krophiquon
Aug 1, 2012, 01:13 PM
not sure about the screenshots, but I know for a fact that you must remove that link. Linking to modification files is STRICTLY against the PSO-W rules. Plus it's pretty easily find-able with google anyways.

GrieverXVII
Aug 1, 2012, 01:14 PM
It's even more likely that someone will get banned for one of those things and then assume they were banned for using the english patch. Then a bunch of threads will pop up here and there will be a shitstorm.

Stinks it has to be re-applied, but it's a nice patch. Good work to whoever helped create it.

Haha sad but pretty true. I dont really need the patch by now. But i think its great to see hackers do good for the community instead of usually the bad.

Vyscillius
Aug 1, 2012, 01:14 PM
I had a dumb question about the patch, what does this mean :

Using the <target>, <class>, <pa>, <technic>, or <area> macros will broadcast the translated message. Do not use them in public parties.

And yeah, you're allowed to make fun of me if you can answer the question :wacko:

GrieverXVII
Aug 1, 2012, 01:17 PM
Well the best part of it is the attribute/ability translations.

Yes this is really awesome. Before this patch i had printed out like 5 oages of translations so i can compare lol..so nerdy. But this helps a ton.

I forgot to mention though that even though this patch is a good thing, whatever sega does is only abiding by their own rules....just like psoworld has to remove links to such patch not because its not good for the community...rules are just rules and i really think its important that everyone understands that.

Tosoto
Aug 1, 2012, 01:17 PM
alright i fixed, it probably shoulda read the rules first, but ya its a pretty nice english patch

blace
Aug 1, 2012, 01:19 PM

Using the <target>, <class>, <pa>, <technic>, or <area> macros will broadcast the translated message. Do not use them in public parties.

And yeah, you're allowed to make fun of me if you can answer the question :wacko:
When you enter any of those into the chat, it'll normally churn out moonrunes of what you did or last targeted, for example you look at Koffee, and enter <target> into chat, it'll use the translated name which in this case is 'Koffie'.

PA's, Technics, and enemies have rough translations going as well and those will also use the patchs translations when you enter <target> into the chat.

Kondibon
Aug 1, 2012, 01:20 PM

It means exactly what it sounds like it means. If you use those commands it will show it in english since I guess the names are client sided when it picks it. So if you use Rodeo Drive then use the "<pa> command it will say "Rodeo Drive" instead of "ロデオドライブ"

EDIT: Ninja'd

Vyscillius
Aug 1, 2012, 01:20 PM
When you enter any of those into the chat, it'll normally churn out moonrunes of what you did or last targeted, for example you look at Koffee, and enter <target> into chat, it'll use the translated name which in this case is 'Koffie'.

PA's, Technics, and enemies have rough translations going as well and those will also use the patchs translations when you enter <target> into the chat.

All right, I wasn't aware of this, thank you kind sir.

EDIT : then if nobody uses those macros in the chat, how could anybody know people are using english patch...?

Kondibon
Aug 1, 2012, 01:38 PM
EDIT : then if nobody uses those macros in the chat, how could anybody know people are using english patch...?I think that was the OP's point.

GrieverXVII
Aug 1, 2012, 01:54 PM
Server sided means everyone can see it.
Client sided means its only on your end
So any changes you make client sided will show to you but not others.

blace
Aug 1, 2012, 01:59 PM
There was a thread for it in the General section, but it got locked due to people exposing the link there.

Totori
Aug 1, 2012, 02:01 PM
It cannot be detected it's almost like using a custom skin on PSO, only the user can tell.

Vyscillius
Aug 1, 2012, 02:13 PM
Then is it just me or does this fear of being ban for using the patch is absurd by this logic?

eharima
Aug 1, 2012, 02:16 PM
It cannot be detected it's almost like using a custom skin on PSO, only the user can tell.

TECHNICALLY, this is not true.

The launcher hash checks for file integrity. so it CAN be detected if the check can differentiate between corrupt and modified files...

but lets not derail into this eh?

CAST SUPREMACY
MOONRUNE SUPREMACY

huehueh

blace
Aug 1, 2012, 02:18 PM
The launcher hash checks for file integrity. so it CAN be detected if the check can differentiate between corrupt and modified files...

What this man has said.

GrieverXVII
Aug 1, 2012, 02:47 PM
Then is it just me or does this fear of being ban for using the patch is absurd by this logic?

Like the guys below said.

But I wouldnt say its absurd cuz nothing is certain here..i just firmly believe its a very small chance for anything to happen..but if it does, responsibility must be taken.

Vyscillius
Aug 1, 2012, 02:58 PM
Too bad then, my attempt to lead the whole argument pointless and absurd by asking questions obvious to everyone is a failure then.

Well, I guess it's each of us' call to use or not the patch. As for myself, I'm fine playing in Japanese even though I don't understand a thing so I don't see why I should bother myself using some patch I don't need. With that said, have a nice game everyone.

raiden55
Aug 1, 2012, 02:59 PM
was anyone banned for using the closed beta version of this patch when it was possible ?

Kanore
Aug 1, 2012, 03:19 PM

you'll get caught for jaywalking to the house across the street from you before getting banned for using an english patch

but the english patch is still against the ToS so people have to warn you

and when there's a warning, the PSOW community likes to turn the anthill into a mountain

Ogni-XR21
Aug 1, 2012, 03:21 PM
The patch is great. Anyone involved in making it deserves to be praised!!!

I can play without the patch just fine, but it's just much more comfortable. Plus I finally understand most of the system announcments which I really like.

RocSage
Aug 1, 2012, 04:09 PM
I think people may be trying to install the patch in the system win32 folder rather than PSO2's win32 folder...

ChronoTrigga
Aug 1, 2012, 04:13 PM
I'm not involved with the patch so take this with a grain of salt, but that's highly likely. Since you're doing a file check when patching, the server sees that the files you have are "broken" and downloads them again.

Open through steam. Add -launcher to starup options on the game.

MissMalice
Aug 1, 2012, 04:29 PM
I think people may be trying to install the patch in the system win32 folder rather than PSO2's win32 folder...

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/035/582/Advice-Dog-DELETE-SYSTEM32-BROWSE-WITH-CONFIDENCE.jpg

BGO
Aug 1, 2012, 04:51 PM
Server sided means everyone can see it.
Client sided means its only on your end
So any changes you make client sided will show to you but not others.

SIDED

ChronoTrigga
Aug 1, 2012, 05:04 PM
SIDED

Why do I picture Stiffler when I read your sig?

Jiraiza
Aug 1, 2012, 05:06 PM
Already said this in the other poop-flinging thread and I'll say it again. You're just as likely to get banned for using this patch as you are for getting banned by using Sega's HQ address in order to buy AC.

Unless they plan on banning the baka gaijins (unlikely, Sakai even gave props to the gentleman who created the patch), not going to happen.

Your fears are unwarranted.

ChronoTrigga
Aug 1, 2012, 05:08 PM
Technically wouldn't we get banned just for being non-Japanese resident period?

pikachief
Aug 1, 2012, 05:24 PM

No I believe they took that out of the ToS. I'm sure i've seen Mike post multiple times that its not in the ToS. Using a fake address to buy stuff is illegal though. Or at least banable.

HunterFusion
Aug 1, 2012, 05:25 PM

they probably need... You knoe. ._.

Lostbob117
Aug 1, 2012, 05:46 PM
There's too many of these threads.

Mystil
Aug 1, 2012, 06:05 PM
It is unlikely people will get banned, but I think it is still good thinking to not make it known in game that you're using it. There is no way for them to check because it's client side. So if you're worried about getting ban, then perhaps you should keep it to yourself.

Ah yes, and while it's on my mind. I've learned well in my life, that if you worry about something that "might" happen...it happens. Stop worrying.

Zipzo
Aug 1, 2012, 08:07 PM
Is don't talk about the English patch.

GoldenFalcon
Aug 1, 2012, 08:09 PM
Second rule as well

Kanore
Aug 1, 2012, 08:09 PM
thank you for this useful thread, i'm sure it's going to generate an interesting discussion

person 1: 'no you're not gonna get in trouble'
person 2: 'but it's against the tos so you might'
person 3: 'but you won't'
person 2: 'but you might'
etc

GoldenFalcon
Aug 1, 2012, 08:10 PM
thank you for this useful thread, i'm sure it's going to generate an interesting discussion

Can we talk about Fight Club instead?

Laxedrane
Aug 1, 2012, 08:11 PM
What happens in the english patch. STAYS IN THE ENGLISH PATCH.

Coatl
Aug 1, 2012, 08:14 PM
Warning:
This is still against the ToS. While it's very unlikely you'll get banned for using it, it's still possible.

I still see people using these with patch enabled in general chat. I mean, come on?

Kimil Adrayne
Aug 1, 2012, 08:14 PM
This so-called patched, is it by the same crowd as before?

Zipzo
Aug 1, 2012, 08:16 PM
*Stepsonyourtoesunderthetable

ScottyMango
Aug 1, 2012, 08:23 PM
I still see people using these with patch enabled in general chat. I mean, come on?
I saw a guy in the lobby today, asking "is anyone else using the latest english patch?"

and I facepalmed.

then some hackers came in and starting casting resta on people, so I dipped.

GrieverXVII
Aug 1, 2012, 08:50 PM
I saw a guy in the lobby today, asking "is anyone else using the latest english patch?"

and I facepalmed.

then some hackers came in and starting casting resta on people, so I dipped.

Hahaha, funny but not funny at the same time :/

Anywho, cant wait to test it out tonight after work. Must find some time to play orcs must die 2 though :O

person 1: 'no you're not gonna get in trouble'
person 2: 'but it's against the tos so you might'
person 3: 'but you won't'
person 2: 'but you might'
etc

...omg, you can READ THE FUTURE!!! Share skillz nao!

Haseokun
Aug 1, 2012, 09:12 PM
I asked people in the lobby about it because i have a real life friend who won't play the game unless it's in English. I personally don't care for English patches, but I've gotta get it to work so I can peak his interest since it being Japanese is his main reason for not playing it, despite him liking the combat system and claiming that it reminds him of Star Ocean.

lunarsoul
Aug 1, 2012, 09:30 PM
I think their are some jerks out their trying to purposely push SEGA's buttons and be like "I have an english patch and I can be an ass woo!". Its like they want SEGA to get fed up and start banning the english patch... This is why we cant have nice things. :(

Coatl
Aug 1, 2012, 09:56 PM
This is why we cant have nice things. :(

/thread

GrieverXVII
Aug 1, 2012, 10:48 PM
/thread

Haha yea, pretty much.

BahnKnakyu
Aug 1, 2012, 10:52 PM

Yes, and the crowd is in no way related to the other small group of manchilds that are griefing Ship 2. The original crowd enjoys PSO and PSU like you and I do - they just like to tinker and poke around in the files and generally do research to try to figure the game out. They're more or less the white hats of our community.

The griefers however - calling them black hats would give them too much credit. They probably know how the game works like the white hats do, but they get their jollies off of pissing people off and 'sticking it to the man' (Sega) and having us mention them repeatedly in this message board and all around the Internet.

Garnet_Moon
Aug 1, 2012, 10:56 PM
Careful on where you download from. Remember that one mod for FFXI that ended up stealing passwords and installing keyloggers? God knows how many exist for WoW that do that. Yeah...

texhnolyze
Aug 1, 2012, 11:00 PM
perhaps someone has already asked these question..

what will happen when the new patch come next week and more in the future?
will the patch won't work anymore?
will it crash or damage the client?
should we wait for another version of the patch?

GrieverXVII
Aug 1, 2012, 11:37 PM

well, considering updates can usually change data in files. In plain english the launcher is there to verify files and make sure everything is correct. if something changes in the files associated with the english patch files, i'm sure it could mess some things up. maybe this english patch will need consistant work per update, maybe not. guess we'll see.

LaEspada
Aug 2, 2012, 02:08 AM
Most likely each time a new version of the patches comes out you'll have to use the file check option in the launcher to revert to clean files and then you place the new ones in.

But then again is all speculation :P

Darki
Aug 2, 2012, 02:56 AM
Well, damn. I've been trying to get them to work but WinRAR doesn't want to extract one of the files, and I've downloaded it like 5 times already. :/

Cypher_9
Aug 2, 2012, 03:02 AM
Question:

Why does people keep calling it a 'patch'...?

When someone patch something up, it has to be broken or incomplete - like patching up a hole in the wall - ... and there was nothing broken or incomplete about their language thingy... D:

So... yeah, the much more proper term, least I would use would be 'installation'... since you are installing it into the current existing folder as an additive... or something :3

And thats my two cents... (don't hate me please.. D: )

P.S.: I am not coming off as a smart ass... if you was able to hear me speak, its all in a friendly manner :D

GoldenFalcon
Aug 2, 2012, 03:08 AM
Might as well just call it the English Mod

Cypher_9
Aug 2, 2012, 03:16 AM

That works too... D:

gigawuts
Aug 2, 2012, 03:20 AM
A patch is just an area that you cover with something. It's just that in real life, people don't tend to patch things unless there's a reason - like something being incomplete.

Ce'Nedra
Aug 2, 2012, 03:40 AM

You can just manualy type them up so it doesn't always has to be a Macro if you ask me.

GoldenFalcon
Aug 2, 2012, 03:49 AM
I actually prefer <t> to show the Japanese name, so I literally have reasons to not use the 'patch'

Feggge
Aug 2, 2012, 05:07 AM

Brilliant!

Nurusanura
Aug 2, 2012, 06:43 AM
What is there to discuss about an English patch? Either you use it or you don't. The other threads have been deleted because it is against PSO2 ToS and is a mod to the game.

gigawuts
Aug 2, 2012, 07:48 AM
whether or not it should be called a patch

otherwise I don't actually know

texhnolyze
Aug 2, 2012, 08:58 AM
What is there to discuss about an English patch? Either you use it or you don't. The other threads have been deleted because it is against PSO2 ToS and is a mod to the game.

perhaps you can answer my questions then?

Aki03
Aug 2, 2012, 09:27 AM
Why we dont send SEGA or the developer team a mail, if they could make an update, where you can switch between japanese and english.

Except the thing with the AC-Cash, why do we need really need servers in US and EU?

If I m not mistaken, the japanese version work fine for anyone, no matter if you live in Japan or not. Its just the japanese language which can be quite troublesome sometimes. I dont know how many of you stay on japanese servers, but it would be sufficient, if they would translate the japanese textes into english.

Jonth
Aug 2, 2012, 10:24 AM
Why we dont send SEGA or the developer team a mail, if they could make an update, where you can switch between japanese and english.

Except the thing with the AC-Cash, why do we need really need servers in US and EU?

If I m not mistaken, the japanese version work fine for anyone, no matter if you live in Japan or not. Its just the japanese language which can be quite troublesome sometimes. I dont know how many of you stay on japanese servers, but it would be sufficient, if they would translate the japanese textes into english.

Yeah, we all know it would be better if they just put in language options for the Japanese servers, but that ship sailed when they announced the US/EU servers. It's not happening no matter the mail you send.

Link1275
Aug 2, 2012, 10:33 AM
Yeah, we all know it would be better if they just put in language options for the Japanese servers, but that ship sailed when they announced the US/EU servers. It's not happening no matter the mail you send.
Or people could wait and just grab the language files from the US client and set it up in the same way.

zemog
Aug 2, 2012, 12:08 PM
Really liking the patch. Just so convenient... I could never go back now. I now understand what is happening with all the announcements and messages from commander / operator girl during missions. I wasn't expecting that...

GrieverXVII
Aug 2, 2012, 12:17 PM

Unless this thread had 8 pages of spam, im pretty sure people are having a discussion here. Sorry i offended you, im not breaking any rules with this thread, its simply a discussion that ironically you just took part in lol.