PDA

View Full Version : English Patch voting concern

brian3000
Aug 1, 2012, 06:19 PM
Just need inputs on if you believe you will get banned or not for using the english patch for PSO2.

Ueno54
Aug 1, 2012, 06:23 PM
I don't see why they'll ban me for it. English patch isn't cheating, it just makes the game a little easier to navigate.

BGO
Aug 1, 2012, 06:25 PM
people need to stop calling it a patch and start calling it an addon. i think it sounds less "ban-y" or w/e....

Kanore
Aug 1, 2012, 06:30 PM
this is a pointless topic

FOnewearl-Lina
Aug 1, 2012, 06:31 PM
I don't see why they'll ban me for it. English patch isn't cheating, it just makes the game a little easier to navigate.

Doesn't matter if it's cheating or not, if they have a way of detecting that you're using modified files they can ban you and then who are you gonna complain to about an unfair ban?

Ueno54
Aug 1, 2012, 06:32 PM
Doesn't matter if it's cheating or not, if they have a way of detecting that you're using modified files they can ban you and then who are you gonna complain to about an unfair ban?

I wouldn't complain if they banned me. All I'd do is reinstall the JP files and play on my old beta account.

Jiraiza
Aug 1, 2012, 06:33 PM
Already said this in the other poop-flinging thread and I'll say it again. You're just as likely to get banned for using this patch as you are for getting banned by using Sega's HQ address in order to buy AC.

Unless they plan on banning the baka gaijins (unlikely, Sakai even gave props to the gentleman who created the patch), not going to happen.

Your fears are unwarranted.

In fact, it's more likely I'll get banned from this forum for posting the same message three times.

brian3000
Aug 1, 2012, 06:37 PM
So? Its just a topic ...

Fujiko
Aug 1, 2012, 06:40 PM
I would be shocked if they banned for this. Played many MMOs that had communities that mod'd things like clothing, textures, etc and they have never resulted in a ban. WoW has a huge community in changing in-game armors and character models, for example.

The most that I have seen a developer do is change the coding in the client so that those mod's could not be loaded into the game anymore. Unless it gives some sort of in-game advantage (ffxi dat swapping for NM pulling) I have never seen a company care.

Nurusanura
Aug 1, 2012, 07:18 PM
Ummm, English patch actually saves them the resources that they are already spending on translating the game themselves.. I am also pretty sure you wont get banned for something that is client-based, a file or file-type that is in no way tied to the server. Unless you go around screaming it out, then you should be safe.

Mag-X
Aug 1, 2012, 07:19 PM
A ban is unlikely. The files are checked before you even log into the game, and there's no way for it to harm anyone else's game. At most they'll just change the encryption and break it again.

GrieverXVII
Aug 1, 2012, 08:59 PM
I voted no. Its client sided. Unless sega thinks its that big of a deal to try and track down people using a "client sided" patch...and ban them. Im pretty sure they wont care much. It is modifying game files and breaches TOS but its at SEGA's discretion of how much of a threat it is to them i guess.

Edit:
Also what the person above me said i agree with.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 1, 2012, 09:04 PM
this is a pointless topic

agreed+^_^+ compared to CE users and such, i doubt that Sega is too worried about people using English patch, if anything they'll be "surprised" again how thorough the patch is as well as the skills needed for encrypting it to work+^_^+ hopefully they'll take a positive view on it and provide better western support in the future+^_^+ if anything, i think the English patch is a much better and safer way to tell Sega how much the west likes their game over, say, moving NPCs around+^_^+

eharima
Aug 1, 2012, 09:10 PM
Ummm, English patch actually saves them the resources that they are already spending on translating the game themselves.. .

I can't believe you actually typed this.
No words can describe... please, leave the internet.

oifjustus
Aug 1, 2012, 09:33 PM
They won't detect anything. Chill people.

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 1, 2012, 09:47 PM
They won't detect anything. Chill people.

Well, not unless you're using the commands in-game and having them display in complete English for JP parties to see. That's the only real concern here. I'm talking about using the commands which display the target, your character's equips, etc.

They could submit a screenshot of it and claim you are hacking since it is using a different language than the game was designed in. So yes, that would be enough to get you banned. Just don't be an idiot running around the lobbies parading about it and you'll be fine.

Zipzo
Aug 1, 2012, 10:37 PM
Ummm, English patch actually saves them the resources that they are already spending on translating the game themselves..

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/21630364.jpg

Someone get the lobotomy tools.

Garnet_Moon
Aug 1, 2012, 10:39 PM
The poll is kinda pointless because the Mayans predicted the world will end December 21st of this year. Who cares if SEGA bans or even cares anymore.

BahnKnakyu
Aug 1, 2012, 10:44 PM
Today I learned in this thread that people still view this world in a black or white manner, when reality is actually kinda gray.

Also, can we talk about something else other than the damn patch, like being ripped off by AC scams and the frequent maintenances? Thanks.

Kirukia
Aug 1, 2012, 10:45 PM
Today I learned in this thread that people still view this world in a black or white manner, when reality is actually kinda gray.

Also, can we talk about something else other than the damn patch, like being ripped off by AC scams and the frequent maintenances? Thanks.

Actually reality is in color.

BahnKnakyu
Aug 1, 2012, 10:46 PM
Actually reality is in color.

Touche.

Dan Maku
Aug 1, 2012, 10:48 PM
The poll is kinda pointless because the Mayans predicted the world will end December 21st of this year. Who cares if SEGA bans or even cares anymore.

Every time someone tells a "2012 Mayan Apocalypse" joke, God forces a man to read Fifty Shades of Grey.

Garnet_Moon
Aug 1, 2012, 10:54 PM
Every time someone tells a "2012 Mayan Apocalypse" joke, God forces a man to read Fifty Shades of Grey.
http://i.imgur.com/BdekR.jpg[/spoiler-box]
This guy is aloooot more credible with his ancient astronaut theories than actually believing SEGA will ban you for using an english patch.

I dare say you could post screens with the modified client and your name and SEGA won't care.

Why? [spoiler]Because aliens.

Garnet_Moon
Aug 1, 2012, 11:02 PM
Weren't the Japanese dev pretty amazed that the english community had a english patch run up so quickly before they even announced the english release next year or something?
Yes, but the ruurs are the ruurs. If you get caught with it their honor code says they must kill your character off. They aren't going to hunt you down

EDIT: AW, why did you delete? Now I look like a dirty double-posting looser.... ;_;

texhnolyze
Aug 1, 2012, 11:02 PM
i'm already tired with these kind of topics
it's all the same since dragon nest, vindictus, dragon ball online, etc.. english patches
people are too paranoid
this is a client sided mod, there's a very little chance that the publisher can notice it
as long as you don't show off your english patch in public, you'll be fine :-D

brian3000
Aug 1, 2012, 11:35 PM
Dont care anymore lol Just want to have some fun XD

moorebounce
Aug 1, 2012, 11:46 PM
How I feel about the situation is we need to stop talking about the english patch number 1. I for one want to be able to use it until the NA/EU release. Other than that the first thing Sega might do is a maintenance to implement a patch to stop it for working.

As long as PSO2 is coming to NA/EU I'll take the risk of getting banned from the Jp servers because eventually we'll ge it. Before they announced releasing the game for NA/EU players I wouldn't have touched the patch.

Yes, but the ruurs are the ruurs. If you get caught with it their honor code says they must kill your character off. They aren't going to hunt you down

EDIT: AW, why did you delete? Now I look like a dirty double-posting looser.... ;_;

You do know you can put both your posts together right or delete them like however you were talking to did.

pikachief
Aug 2, 2012, 02:25 AM

Maintenance hasn't been all that frequent lately and AC scams have been happening for years (GC on JP PSU and it was pretty much the exact same thing but without Gold Scratch and they had a lot more outfits every update and they had it in 10 colors not THREE.)

KrankItVZ
Aug 2, 2012, 12:29 PM
From what I've seen devs do not like you touching their game in anyway. Even though its not harmful no one would like someone messing around with what you've been working on for years. 3rd party programs never really end well with MMOs as the general explanation would be to keep everything leveled. Unless SEGA is cool with the whole idea I can't really wrap my head around how this will ending well

NiuWang
Aug 2, 2012, 12:32 PM
From what I've seen devs do not like you touching their game in anyway. Even though its not harmful no one would like someone messing around with what you've been working on for years. 3rd party programs never really end well with MMOs as the general explanation would be to keep everything leveled. Unless SEGA is cool with the whole idea I can't really wrap my head around how this will ending well

I don't know If I was a dev, I really wouldn't care if they make a patch in another language. Saves me & other people the trouble of doing so.

Mystil
Aug 2, 2012, 05:22 PM
Just don't be an idiot running around the lobbies parading about it and you'll be fine.

People gonna do this anyway...you know it.

Inazuma
Aug 2, 2012, 06:16 PM
I played with modified music files (custom soundtrack) for the JP versions of PSOBB and PSU and never got banned. I would be seriously surprised if Sega started banning people for using the English patch.

Not only does it do no harm to anyone, but it will help encourage more English speaking players to play the game, which means more money for Sega.

Ryno
Aug 2, 2012, 08:22 PM
I def. need the English patch. I am still not used to reading the Japanese stuff. and I would have to keep looking up every time. especially having a learning disability. it's hard to learn new things like this. so i just learn by pressing button and not learn the letters. still. that's how I would know im playing, but not learning Japanese.

hikky22
Aug 2, 2012, 10:24 PM
I think, you can be banned for this easily.
Can't really tell, if the server checks hash sum of some client files or not, but the patch DOES affect the hash sum. So, if the hash sum isnt right - you can get an auto ban for sure.
Maybe there is nothing to worry about for now, since they are using gameguard, but if there will be too many cheaters (with speedhacks and such), they may change the whole protection system to something new.

ScottyMango
Aug 2, 2012, 10:33 PM
but if there will be too many cheaters (with speedhacks and such), they may change the whole protection system to something new.

Haha, noooo, they won't.

Quatre52
Aug 2, 2012, 11:46 PM
They've been using this failed gameguard for since PSU...or maybe since BB? I dont see them every changing that...

Squall179
Aug 3, 2012, 12:22 AM
It has been in use since PSOBB

RedRaz0r
Aug 3, 2012, 12:33 AM
If it worries you then don't use it. Nobody knows for sure if they'll ban you or not. They do have a way of noticing, and it is against the rules.

Ogni-XR21
Aug 3, 2012, 02:10 AM
...just let it go already.

Kudwafter
Aug 3, 2012, 03:06 AM
Regardless if they will do something about it. realize that there's always a risk when you do this so if the people who do use it get banned (I doubt it) I don't want to see everyone complaining that they was banned

gigawuts
Aug 3, 2012, 03:20 AM
Whoever compared the english patch to jay walking (Kanore?) was spot on.

Yes, it's technically something you can get in trouble over. No, it almost certainly won't happen.

But be aware, jay walking in front of cops and screaming that you're jay walking and they can't stop you is probably going to get you some special attention.

Feggge
Aug 3, 2012, 06:05 AM
I started using it and loving every second of it. I started to be able to read a little katakana but I still ended up staring at the screen too long, trying to analyze which enemies to kill next.

If I do get banned, it's not the end of the world. I'll just wait until the EU/US release then. Until that eventuality, I'll be happily playing this "engrish" game :).

And I agree with the discussion of calling this a mod, and not a patch...

Pointy Cat
Aug 3, 2012, 06:22 AM
I think, you can be banned for this easily.
Can't really tell, if the server checks hash sum of some client files or not, but the patch DOES affect the hash sum. So, if the hash sum isnt right - you can get an auto ban for sure.
Maybe there is nothing to worry about for now, since they are using gameguard, but if there will be too many cheaters (with speedhacks and such), they may change the whole protection system to something new.

They went through the entirety of PSU using GameGuard and it had bigger hacking issues than PSO2 has had. If Sega didn't learn their lesson with PSU then they're never going to learn it.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9634/24377790.jpg

KrankItVZ
Aug 3, 2012, 11:23 AM
I don't know If I was a dev, I really wouldn't care if they make a patch in another language. Saves me & other people the trouble of doing so.

Well of course a language patch won't hurt anyone but for something thats been worked on for years, the devs won't want anyone to touch the game and potentially cause something to happen. Besides its Japan... alot of their devs there don't really bat an eye to the international fan base. Considering that PSO2 is already getting an English release I doubt they even care what happens to our tiny English community. Simple idea is they wield the ban hammer and we can't do shit about it