PDA

View Full Version : Why Are There Mostly Female Characters?

Kanivakil
Aug 3, 2012, 12:22 AM
When I played PSO v1 on the Dreamcast, I noticed the same thing; bunch of Japanese guys prefer to use female characters.

Added much later: I was just curious about the f/m ratio at WOW and this is what I found, http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5271505556. After a little research, it seems Japanese prefer slim guys than masculine , hence even their male characters appear feminine.

Metaru
Aug 3, 2012, 12:24 AM
Err, There are many reasons but many guys seem to prefer female characters.

IzzyData
Aug 3, 2012, 12:25 AM
Is it really a surprise that guys like to look at females? I'd hypothesis that if the playerbase had an equal number of females and males that the ingame characters also would due to the females making male characters to counter the males making females. Who knows, theres always a higher number of guys playing these games and guys like girls.

Metaru
Aug 3, 2012, 12:26 AM
Is it really a surprise that guys like to look at females?

You should be used to it by now. 8-)

Xefi
Aug 3, 2012, 12:29 AM
just let them play what they like? does it really bothers you what others are playing as?

also, this type of thread doesn't end well. that's all i have to say. BYE. :cat:

Xaeris
Aug 3, 2012, 12:36 AM
I forsee a tumultuous course for this thread.

It is interesting though. Female avatars are certainly overrepresented in this population, compared to the population of other online games were your avatar is a static figure. The best I can do really is venture a guess, and say it's a result of the options afforded by PSO2's robust character creator. I'd hypothesize that interest in female avatars correlates more strongly with better creators than male avatars, i.e, people are more likely to make female avatars when they can better control how they look.

Why? Um. Well. Boobs. There's really no fancy way to put that. ...Well, I can try a little harder than that. See, in games with...let's say "unimpressive" character creators, your options are going to be classically pretty women and rough manly men. Between those options, men may be more likely to pick the one they can identify with. With a more advanced creator, a player can create a character that plays to their tastes that may go unrepresented in gaming, and who'd pass up a chance like that?

Mind you, this is nearly all conjecture.

Hucast-Kireek
Aug 3, 2012, 12:36 AM
In games like these...

Guys like girls...

and girls like girls.

I'ts what i've noticed.

Metaru
Aug 3, 2012, 12:38 AM
Spot on.

moorebounce
Aug 3, 2012, 12:38 AM
I have 3 characters and 2 of them are male. I would've made them all male if it weren't for the fact that the male casts in this game start out so unappealing to me. They're releasing better looking parts now so they aren't so bad.

SolRiver
Aug 3, 2012, 12:41 AM
1st: This topic again?

2nd: I'm bored so I will post...

3rd: I am still waiting to be able to make my FOmar from PSO...

4th: I have to blame the developer a bit on this. The developer definitely enjoyed making female characters more than male characters in the first place. Though, can't fault them for everything...

5th: Honestly, many male cast technically can't be counted as "male". But, it is a game... so whatever.

Kondibon
Aug 3, 2012, 12:42 AM
Many people find women more attractive, even other women.

Metaru
Aug 3, 2012, 12:42 AM
I still don't get it, you can make male character look pretty good.. Oh wait I forgot (.)(.)

Ark22
Aug 3, 2012, 12:44 AM
They do it because "They don't like staring at a guys ass". Why the hell would you be looking at their ass? Pretty sure you would mostly see their backs. I usually look in front of me.

Xaeris
I don't think it's as simple as women being more pleasing to look at than men, regardless of orientation. If that were the case, female avatars should outnumber male avatars in all games. I know that in WoW, that's not the case, with male avatars outnumbering females in every race, except draenei.

BIG OLAF
I like making a digital representations of types of "dream women" of mine. I also like taking said "dream women" and dolling them up with all sorts of pretty costumes and accessories. It's a pretty simple answer. I find it an entertaining game dynamic all it's own.

However, I also enjoy making male characters. I plan on making one next time I can get some AC, actually.

LK1721
Aug 3, 2012, 12:45 AM
In games like these...

Guys like girls...

and girls like girls.

I'ts what i've noticed.

Simply put.

Though personally I have both genders in my character roster.

Hucast-Kireek
Aug 3, 2012, 12:46 AM
If I make a female character its a secondary or 3rd character ect.. I never represent myself as a girl online, i guess i dont feel the need to? There's also boys who want to be girls and this is their only chance heheh (remember the soul is genderless but you choose what gender you like more, you might be on a mission as a guy on Earth but u really like being a girl or more feminine), there's so many reasons and we should respect them all! I know the real reasons for this and it involves astrology heheh.

Kondibon
Aug 3, 2012, 12:46 AM
Honestly I blame the clothes as much as anything else. I do know a few women who play male characters though.

LaEspada
Aug 3, 2012, 12:47 AM
In games like these...

Guys like girls...

and girls like girls.

I'ts what i've noticed.

Words of wisdom there my friend

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 3, 2012, 12:48 AM
>Why Are There Mostly Female Characters?

[spoiler-box]http://1oet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/funny-anime-expressions-18.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Kondibon
I like making a digital representations of types of "dream women" of mine. I also like taking said "dream women" and dolling them up with all sorts of pretty costumes and accessories. It's a pretty simple answer. I find it an entertaining game dynamic all it's own.
You get cool points just for admitting that. I get tired of the "because if I have to look at an ass" crap. I think this is the reason so many men play female characters, but they don't want to admit they like playing dress-up.

Metaru
The clothing for males aren't that bad... Excluding male CAST parts, but that should be fixed soon eh?

Shota
Aug 3, 2012, 12:49 AM
well i was talking with girls (im a guy D:<!) and a lot of them said they like to make a guy charcter if the guys are hawt in the game. same with me but i usually always have a guy but if its very beefy and hairy than no way jose

BIG OLAF
Aug 3, 2012, 12:50 AM
You get cool points just for admitting that. I get tired of the "because if I have to look at an ass" crap. I think this is the reason so many men play female characters, but they don't want to admit they like playing dress-up.

Thank you. I also think that old line is stupid to even say; it's a complete cop-out. It's easier to just be honest and say "I like playing with virtual Barbie dolls", because I do.

Hucast-Kireek
Aug 3, 2012, 12:50 AM
>Why Are There Mostly Female Characters?

[spoiler-box]http://1oet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/funny-anime-expressions-18.jpg[/spoiler-box]

exactly XD

GoldenFalcon
Aug 3, 2012, 12:55 AM
I treat my characters as entities deserving of respect, not toys
As such, I make males and females

Hucast-Kireek
Aug 3, 2012, 12:56 AM
Thank you. I also think that old line is stupid to even say; it's a complete cop-out. It's easier to just be honest and say "I like playing with virtual Barbie dolls", because I do.

Heheh I like that the internet is making everyone more honest and open minded.

The key is to know yourself, then you'll see there are other realities out there, all of them normal and necessary.

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 3, 2012, 12:57 AM

Lol. You don't have any idea just how long I spend customizing my characters' looks, male or female. I mean, come on. This is a guy that decided to buy more AC so he could adjust his main's appearance just to suit the wedding dress because I wanted her to look a little more feminine.

The ass is a nice bonus, but I end up looking at everything else on her more, honestly. Facial features, body structure, joint articulation, etc. So yeah, I pretty much like playing "dress up" in any game I play. I'm a whore for customization, lol.

It's just a lot easier to tell most people, "I do it for the ass" rather than getting into all the details about it since most don't want to hear about all that. You tell a guy, "I'd rather look at a girl's ass", then it's a quick conversation and they understand you.

Kondibon
Aug 3, 2012, 12:57 AM
I treat my characters as entities deserving of respect, not toys
As such, I make males and femalesYou're just saying that to make us all feel bad aren't you? >:

It's just a lot easier to tell most people, "I do it for the ass" rather than getting into all the details about it since most don't want to hear about all that. You tell a guy, "I'd rather look at a girl's ass", then it's a quick conversation and they understand you.

When it comes down to it. I can understand. XD I was a bit harsh, sorry.

Coatl
Aug 3, 2012, 01:00 AM
Because in most mmos guy characters get the short end of the stick on costumes and accessories.
It's no different on PSO2.. :c

GoldenFalcon
Aug 3, 2012, 01:00 AM
You're just saying that to make us all feel bad aren't you? >:

I'm not sure whether my way of thinking is too sentimental or not
but if it bothers you, perhaps you should take characters more seriously?

BIG OLAF
Aug 3, 2012, 01:01 AM
You're just saying that to make us all feel bad aren't you? >:

If so, it didn't work. What kind of scumbag doesn't treat their toys with respect, anyway? I always take great care of my property, physical or virtual. Just because someone likes to 'play' with their (virtual) toys, doesn't mean they don't show them respect, y'know?

Kondibon
Aug 3, 2012, 01:01 AM
I'm not sure whether my way of thinking is too sentimental or not
but if it bothers you, perhaps you should take characters more seriously?I do, it's just the way you worded it and timed it seemed to be implying that we don't.

EDIT: I probably should have taken it at face value.

Hucast-Kireek
Aug 3, 2012, 01:02 AM
Even for my CAST Kireek i have recreated him because of color and body proportions, dont let me started when I make fleshies...hmm...actually, they might be easier..

If so, it didn't work. What kind of scumbag doesn't treat their toys with respect, anyway? I always take great care of my property, physical or virtual. Just because someone likes to 'play' with their (virtual) toys, doesn't mean they don't show them respect, y'know?

There are 4 elements, Fire, Wind, Water and Earth...like so there are 4 types of human energies (to make it very, very simple) Some people take things more logically, others more emotionally others more casually others more seriously. Its elementary my dear PSOW. We are all special and needed, all of our points are valid and important.

GoldenFalcon
Aug 3, 2012, 01:03 AM
I do, it's just the way you worded it and timed it seemed to be implying that we don't.

EDIT: I probably should have taken it at face value.

I honestly hadn't even read that far into the thread yet xD
Well, if I meant to be calling people out and making them feel bad, I would have said so..

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 3, 2012, 01:03 AM

Exactly! I have a few figures and models in my room, but I don't play with them at all. They're just for display. Sure, some of them have different parts I can swap out for the others and I may do that, but I make sure to treat them with the utmost care like anything else, really.

The same goes for virtual stuff also. Sure, this may be a character, but I suppose after a while you can grow emotionally attached to what you created. I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather be attached to something that looks nice~

Metaru
Aug 3, 2012, 01:04 AM
If that's the case, most males barely put any effort into their male characters anyway. I've seen alot of good female characters too, and most of the male ones are like bleh.. But I like too alternate between the two, mainly because I usually have both genders at my disposable in any mmo.

Metaru
Aug 3, 2012, 01:06 AM
Even for my CAST Kireek i have recreated him because of color and body proportions, dont let me started when I make fleshies...hmm...actually, they might be easier..

Dare I Quote this? Half way through me making a male I said "F this! D:<" Seems your more patient than I.

Discoid
Aug 3, 2012, 01:10 AM
I wanted to play as a cast because robots are cool.

I chose to play as a female because I find humanoid androids to be cooler than big beefy metallic robots. That, and female characters tend to have more room for customization in MMOs from what I've noticed, as stated earlier in the thread.

Yeah, girls are hot and bla bla bla, but it really just depends on the design of the character for me.

Kondibon
Aug 3, 2012, 01:10 AM
This is slightly off topic, but someday, just to counter all the lolis running around I'm going to make this guy.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/E3Pu2.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

His name will be Buff MacMann.

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 3, 2012, 01:11 AM
This is slightly off topic, but someday, just to counter all the lolis running around I'm going to make this guy.

Do it, lol. I'd say just call him "Biff" though.

GoldenFalcon
Aug 3, 2012, 01:12 AM

Needs longer eyebrows

I chose to play as a female because I find humanoid androids to be cooler than big beefy metallic robots.

I am inspired to post pictures of my male cast now

Metaru
Aug 3, 2012, 01:14 AM

Looks like someone off a black sitcom.

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 3, 2012, 01:14 AM
Looks like someone off a black sitcom.

Sooo... "Beef" then?

:lol:

Metaru
Aug 3, 2012, 01:15 AM
Sooo... "Beef" then?

Yes beef. But i'd find even more humor in it if his last name was a black comedy show. But that's just me.

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 3, 2012, 01:17 AM
Yes beef. But i'd find even more humor in it if his last name was a black comedy show. But that's just me.

Oh boy, lol. Okay, I know when to stop. This could get ugly, haha.

I'm done~

Kondibon

Beef Belair.

EDIT: I'm black, this is my birthright.

youcantcatchtheblue
Hay guys, I've said this before, but it's obviously because 90% of PSO2 players are girls IRL.

for reals!!

Metaru
Beef Belair.

I lol'd so hard.

Mike
Aug 3, 2012, 01:18 AM

He kinda looks like a well-aged Jesse Ventura (as opposed to the poorly-aged Jesse Ventura (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jesse_Ventura.jpg)).

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 3, 2012, 01:19 AM
Beef Belair.

EDIT: I'm black, this is my birthright.

At least someone came to finish it. Thank you, lol.

Kondibon
Aug 3, 2012, 01:19 AM
Hay guys, I've said this before, but it's obviously because 90% of PSO2 players are girls IRL.

for reals!!
Pft naw. More like 100% Everyone knows there are no guys on the internet.

Metaru
Aug 3, 2012, 01:20 AM
Pft naw. More like 100% Everyone knows there are no guys on the internet.

*cough* 4chan

Blundy
Aug 3, 2012, 02:00 AM
i enjoy collecting the cute outfits.

Macman
Aug 3, 2012, 02:51 AM
Who cares? They get to pay millions in female outfits while I pay mere thousands. 8-)

sugarFO
Aug 3, 2012, 02:53 AM
Who cares? They get to pay millions in female outfits while I pay mere thousands. 8-)

It's really not fair. :/

Macman
Aug 3, 2012, 02:54 AM
Supply and demand, sugar. Supply and demand.

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 3, 2012, 02:55 AM
It's really not fair. :/

We pay more, but in the end, we have the last laugh anyway. We end up looking better :3

sugarFO
Aug 3, 2012, 02:59 AM
We pay more, but in the end, we have the last laugh anyway. We end up looking better :3

We? You're a real girl too?

ShinMaruku
Aug 3, 2012, 03:01 AM
Supply and demand, sugar. Supply and demand.
The price of sugar walls is at a all time low on arks ships.

lunarsoul
Aug 3, 2012, 03:51 AM
I dont mind like 80% of all the characters are female, what im starting to get irked by is that 90% of those 80% are straight up lolis. I thought my FOmarl was average height, put her at 180cm, but she is giant than everyone else. :O

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 3, 2012, 04:06 AM
We? You're a real girl too?

I'm not physically paying for it. I meant "we" in the sense of our characters. My character can get whatever she wants in the game, but that doesn't mean it's going to make me look any better, lol.

I got on a Japanese online game thinking there wouldn't be a massive amount of lolis :O

http://cdn.styleforum.net/7/75/75a04dfc_picard_animated.gif

erehwoN
Aug 3, 2012, 04:12 AM
Got 2 males and a female in my rooster.

My male human is my loli. (aka I play dress up with him)
My female CAST is just that.
Made a male CAST for the single reason of the stripper heels the Magius legs has.

iwerkout
Aug 3, 2012, 04:16 AM
I have a question....
[spoiler-box]http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/144/hudson1ug4.jpg

Why does any of this matter?[/spoiler-box]

Play what you want, doesn't effect me bro.
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmm3edWoLK1qh55zko1_400.jpg

Though I agree it's annoying to have to play with ugly-farse characters. Why is it so hard to make decent looking characters? If you're going to fiddle around with the character creator, at least make something appealing god! :roll:

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 3, 2012, 04:18 AM
Got 2 males and a female in my rooster.

My male human is my loli.

Made a male CAST for the single reason of the stripper heels the Magius legs has.

What is this I don't even.

NoiseHERO
Aug 3, 2012, 04:18 AM
I already know how this thread turned out.

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 3, 2012, 04:19 AM
I already know how this thread turned out.

It took you this long?

:3

darkante
Aug 3, 2012, 04:20 AM
I like using both genders in-game, but it also depends on choices you get.
This game? Easy, irriating part would be going through the stuff coffee asked again.

lunarsoul
Aug 3, 2012, 04:21 AM
Reminds me of Ship 02, easy to sabotage.

NoiseHERO
Aug 3, 2012, 04:24 AM
It took you this long?

:3

I just got here, like 2 seconds ago. I only had to read like one post. D<

Shut up!

COLON THREE

erehwoN
Aug 3, 2012, 04:24 AM
What is this I don't even.
In my defense I regret nothing! (especially not intentionally adding an o to roster)
First start with a horrible pun, then move onto claiming my stake as a male loli ad ending with an awkward statement.

But seriously. The Magius legs have the longest heels ever.

gigawuts
Aug 3, 2012, 04:25 AM
Think the magius legs are good now? Try it with the sexy lobby action.

Oh baby.

erehwoN
Aug 3, 2012, 04:29 AM
Think the magius legs are good now? Try it with the sexy lobby action.

Oh baby.
I have... Got the slightly scarring mental image of my cast doing the opening scene of Crazy In Love.

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 3, 2012, 04:30 AM
You two stop giving CASTs a bad name! No wonder you don't believe in CAST supremacy!

gigawuts
Aug 3, 2012, 04:32 AM
Are you kidding? Cast for life.

Except when I put on my swimming trunks and do the drunk lobby action because nothing says funny like fatties without balance.

iwerkout
Aug 3, 2012, 04:35 AM
How I see CASTs:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2gaqf9YiT1rtdfggo1_500.gif

gigawuts
Aug 3, 2012, 04:40 AM
come and say that to my face

oh wait i don't have any squishy inferior meatbag body parts

haters

But really, I spent way more time customizing my cast than I usually do. It took me a long time to settle on colors I liked (turned out tweaking a default color scheme was perfect for me), and then the parts too. Then the proportions of the arm pads was all wrong in-game, the posing had them look bad. So I shelled out 6 bucks to fix that. I hate staring at a mistake like that exactly as much as I like staring at hot asses, which is to say, enough that I'll pay money.

erehwoN
Aug 3, 2012, 04:44 AM
You two stop giving CASTs a bad name! No wonder you don't believe in CAST supremacy!

[SPOILER-BOX]
Humans stares longingly at his legs.
http://i.imgur.com/3NAOs.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 3, 2012, 04:49 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]
Humans stares longingly at his legs.
http://i.imgur.com/3NAOs.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Sorry, I was distracted by the person behind you. I still don't know if it's a man or a woman....

How I see CASTs:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2gaqf9YiT1rtdfggo1_500.gif

Funny. That's the same thing I would be doing to your head :|

erehwoN
Aug 3, 2012, 04:51 AM
That's my male loli.

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 3, 2012, 04:55 AM
That's my male loli.

It would be "shota" actually X3

And wait... so, you got your own character to check yourself out? First a rooster, then a male "loli", stripper heels, and now this?! I think you're a couple of riceballs shy of a bento, bro, lol.

erehwoN
Aug 3, 2012, 05:06 AM
No, I must insist he's a loli.

You should look at my post in the Lounge.
It's quite the eyeopener. :innocent:

jooozek
Aug 3, 2012, 05:36 AM
If you minmax and want to have best offensive stats as ranger or force then you generally want to play females. And why lolis you ask? It's because they cover less screen in TPS mode, silly.

Reiketsu
Aug 3, 2012, 06:40 AM

I actually always thought this was the reason... that guys like to create the woman of their dreams if given the apropriate tools to do so xD
And girls probably go the 'identity' road and pick a female, because they are.
Ultimately, we have guys picking females and girls picking females.
I don't have a real problem with that, though it's kinda sad that it becomes a rarity to met a male character ._.

And it kinda makes me regret having created a female character myself ^^"
Especially looking at the player shops... I mean, for the guys who actually created a male character, this turned out quite well, because they get absolutely everything for almost nothing.
Swimming Trunks: 15,000 VS Bikini: 700,000... this is INSANE! ;_; And unfair...
(Even though I don't care about the bikini, but the wedding dress drove me into financial ruin! TT__TT)

But imagining this was real life, it'd be kinda funny xD And I guess the few guys living in such a world, overpopulated with women... might be quite happy xD

Patmaster
Aug 3, 2012, 06:47 AM
I like making a digital representations of types of "dream women" of mine. I also like taking said "dream women" and dolling them up with all sorts of pretty costumes and accessories. It's a pretty simple answer.

Agree with this 100%. I like good looking girls so I created one. It's not like that I am mentally insane just by doin so.

erehwoN
Aug 3, 2012, 07:05 AM
People try to argue that you make a character in the way you wish you were. (assuming everyone is male)
You make a girl=You wish you were a girl. Or you are a sexist jerk who only wants to ogle at women.
You make a guy=Well isn't that dainty. Tihi.

So when I made a character in another game in the image of my ex.
I asked a question to the person trying to be a hobby psychologist and brand everyone with various mental illnesses. "Does this mean I want to skin my ex and wear the skin on top of my own?"
I never got an answer to that...

BIG OLAF
Aug 3, 2012, 08:55 AM
Or you are a sexist jerk who only wants to ogle at women.

Oh man, I laughed at that one (not in a mocking way). I'm sure some people know why.

I asked a question to the person trying to be a hobby psychologist and brand everyone with various mental illnesses.

Oh, yeah, gotta love those pocket psychologists that try to tell you you're "weird" or "deranged" for playing a character of the opposite sex in a video game. I imagine those types don't have many friends.

erehwoN
Aug 3, 2012, 09:11 AM
Oh man, I laughed at that one (not in a mocking way). I'm sure some people know why.
Oh totally.
I play as both genders in games. And according to that hobby psychologist that means I'm a nympho who drools uncontrollably whenever I see another person.
Also since I got 2 CASTS here that must mean I'm attracted to my fridge.

Oh, yeah, gotta love those pocket psychologists that try to tell you you're "weird" or "deranged" for playing a character of the opposite sex in a video game. I imagine those types don't have many friends.
My sister has a basic degree in that stuff.
I wanted to strangle her after having conversations with her after that...

Ana-Chan
Aug 3, 2012, 09:30 AM
For me it ended up as habit. When I started playing PSO, I mainly played FOnewearl. Ever since then I have had my main character as a newman female that focuses on force.

Zyrusticae
Aug 3, 2012, 09:37 AM
Not gonna lie...

MtF transexual. There you go. :)

Neirene
Aug 3, 2012, 09:43 AM
For me it ended up as habit. When I started playing PSO, I mainly played FOnewearl. Ever since then I have had my main character as a newman female that focuses on force.

Same as for me i've always been a HUneweal in PSO since I started, i've always used characters with my same gender within a game i guess it's just a habit and makes me feel myself within the game and not another person.

DemonMike
Aug 3, 2012, 09:45 AM
Most PSO fans are lolicons. Simple.

Sephirah
Aug 3, 2012, 09:50 AM
Most PSO fans are lolicons. Simple.

How revealing of you to share :)

kkow
Aug 3, 2012, 10:04 AM
I never understood the whole "immersion, I am the character" thing mainstream people seem to have going on. Games a game, a chance to play in a world different than mine. Since we are given such a robust character creator, why not? Most other games have these boring presets or have too much of a mainstream playerbase (nongamers/casuals). Anyways, you see this all over in real life too: Racing poster girls, promotion girls, idol girls, booth girls, etcetcetcetc.

tl;dr because im a lolicon because i dont want to look at a male character for hundreds of hours ktnxbai.

Sephirah
Aug 3, 2012, 10:09 AM
I can't speak for everyone, but I like making my character's look as close to me as possible, because you're right, it is an entirely new world to explore, but *I* want to explore it. There is a difference between playing a game to explore a new world, and playing a game to be a different person.

If you don't like who you are, I can see why you would want to play as a different character, but I like who I am and how I look, so I want to be myself in these new Phantastical worlds :P

Mega Ultra Chicken
Aug 3, 2012, 10:17 AM
Rather than one reason, here are some reasons:

-To stare at her ass for hours (Which begs the question, how aren't they distracted while playing if they use that excuse?)

-Women are seen as the prettier gender in general (and it's not only men who are drawn to that)

-The player likes the game's female customization more than its male customization

-Mixing the above two, the player likes to dress up their character (especially since the "character as a model/fashionista" phenomenon is more prevalent with female characters than with male characters)

-Getting more mileage from the character customization system in general (which (usually) requires having more than one character)

-Roleplay purposes, or just to create a character in the world

-The appeal of playing as a character unlike yourself, such as one of the opposite gender

-The badassery of a woman on the battlefield

-The player doesn't like beefcake (although that's more prevalent in western games, but that reason can make people used to playing as women even in games without beefcake males)

-The player doesn't want to look "gay" (This one can be combined with the above, or it can be a standalone reason. Either way, it's a pretty homophobic and possibly hypocritical reason.)

-The player doesn't identify with male characters

EDIT:

-Phantasy Star has a history of prominent female fighters such as Rika, Nei, Rico, Karen, Laia, Lisa, and others I haven't mentioned.

erehwoN
Aug 3, 2012, 10:17 AM
I can't speak for everyone, but I like making my character's look as close to me as possible, because you're right, it is an entirely new world to explore, but *I* want to explore it. There is a difference between playing a game to explore a new world, and playing a game to be a different person.

If you don't like who you are, I can see why you would want to play as a different character, but I like who I am and how I look, so I want to be myself in these new Phantastical worlds :P
Wishful thinking for me.
My hair generally goes in 2-4 different colors and I got such an hairstyle that the only game that ever came close to mimicking it was Aion. And that was terrible!

-The player doesn't like beefcake (although that's more prevalent in western games, but that reason can make people used to playing as women even in games without beefcake males)

-The player doesn't identify with male characters
I think they made a study about this.
Men felt uncomfortable with the way men are portrayed in games as beefy and manly. Set an unnatural standard.

Which is true for both genders.

Omisan
Aug 3, 2012, 10:27 AM
My character looks just like Quattro Bajeena, and thats his name. I make him say things that are Zeta Gundam related in the auto phrases.

I find this entertaining. I dont know if this is what immersion means.

Jakosifer
Aug 3, 2012, 10:37 AM
Because kawaii lolichan is best.

PS: I will never play a female character again. I get too distracted with trying to make her look "perfect" and as pretty as I can make them. This is a waste of time, since I rarely get to see my characters faces. So I just go with my man face (okay bishi) and don't look back.

kkow
Aug 3, 2012, 10:38 AM
better question is, why is there no zoom function??!

/me flees

yea Mega Ultra Chicken brought up some good points.

BIG OLAF
Aug 3, 2012, 10:41 AM
better question is, why is there no zoom function??

+/- keys on the numpad. Also, use the walls.

RivalNightmare
Aug 3, 2012, 10:51 AM
Well, I chose a female because I think they look really cute with the "youthful" face.

Though, it seems like SEGA put a lot of effort into that character creator... If you know what I mean.

kkow
Aug 3, 2012, 11:27 AM
+/- keys on the numpad. Also, use the walls.

thanks

Kirukia
Aug 3, 2012, 11:38 AM

That's what I like to do!

I do like to play female characters as well though, because they usually have nice fashion, while male fashion is generally terribad except for maybe one outfit that everyone wears. Not as bad in PSO2 as most games though (even though their current selection is very limited). Also the svelte female figure is way easier to look at than a hulking burly man. I don't think it's always "gurls r sxc" since a lot of girls will also play female characters, and there are many men who play male characters. Plus as much as people say it, I doubt they sit there drooling at a pixelated ass all day long.

Female characters are generally just more aesthetically pleasing, easier on the eyes, and it doesn't really have much to do with your orientation IMO.

Kondibon
Aug 3, 2012, 11:53 AM
Female characters are generally just more aesthetically pleasing, easier on the eyes, and it doesn't really have much to do with your orientation IMO.This^

A lot of artists I know, regardless of gender or orientation, like to draw women for that very reason.

Also, what Ultra chicken said for the most part.

KrankItVZ
Aug 4, 2012, 02:19 AM
2 Things I'd like to point out:

The main difference between the westerners and asians is the portrayal of characters in stuff like comics. If you've never noticed the typical comics such as DC or Marvel everyone is all buff and all G.I Joe style. As for anime/ manga they aim for a more stylized and sleek look. Its cultural basically on why its slim vs buff

Another point for people playing female character is quite interesting. Best one I've heard is "If I'm going to stare at a video game characters back the whole time I'd rather stare at a woman's ass". It makes sense I guess, but honestly in this case I doubt that logic really applies as much... Just abit creepy thinking that most of the "girls" you encounter are guys

Zipzo
Aug 4, 2012, 02:40 AM
Why Are There Mostly Female Characters?Why do you think?

G.A.M.E.R-X
Aug 4, 2012, 02:43 AM
Because Waifus

stop making up all these complex excuses guys lol

/case

Home Dog
Aug 4, 2012, 02:47 AM
OP could have guessed at least 5 times as to why there are so many female characters, and chances are, all 5 of them would actually be one of the many reasons a lot of people play as females.

Mystil
Aug 4, 2012, 06:44 AM
Well for me, the same reason that I've had for the last 12 years(starting with PSO1). Girls kick ass too, and I want to kick ass using a girl. Play enough RPGs where the protagonist is always a man, and you just start to get tired of it.

Though... I see what a lot of the male players see when it comes to male characters. They get shafted in clothing and what not. =/

Iduno
Aug 4, 2012, 07:14 AM
Personally after fiddling around in creation for a bit I noticed that going male I would end up with a long haired guy in a dress so I just thought I might as well just go female at that point and make a male alt later on.

That and men couldn't get fabulous with things like that heart wand and bow in PSU, and I didn't want to get trapped unable to use things like that again in PSO2.

NoiseHERO
Aug 4, 2012, 07:56 AM
http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t342/GenerationMichaeru/pso20120804_084731_014.jpg

That one day that Rock had to dress up as a girl, after blowing up a shinra power plant.

Coatl
Aug 4, 2012, 08:05 AM
http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t342/GenerationMichaeru/pso20120804_084731_014.jpg

That one day that Rock had to dress up as a girl, after blowing up a shinra power plant.

Oh god yes.
I really like this one turned out. ^^

NoiseHERO
Aug 4, 2012, 08:10 AM
/just changed a few things on my normal character

/Then cried in the corner...

Aeris
Aug 4, 2012, 09:05 AM
Well for me, the same reason that I've had for the last 12 years(starting with PSO1). Girls kick ass too, and I want to kick ass using a girl. Play enough RPGs where the protagonist is always a man, and you just start to get tired of it.

Though... I see what a lot of the male players see when it comes to male characters. They get shafted in clothing and what not. =/

Pretty much every fps, rpg, action, platform i play is a male as the main character and so true about when it comes to clothing and such in mmos i play lately for the males .-.

Shakuri
Aug 4, 2012, 10:00 AM
Hilarity

So, how did you become less manly in two years time?

Metaru
Aug 4, 2012, 10:13 AM

I lol'd

erehwoN
Aug 4, 2012, 11:14 AM
Marriage?

Mikura
Aug 4, 2012, 12:02 PM
Quite frankly, I don't like the options you're given when making a male character, so that's why I normally roll female. It's always been that way for me in every PSO game though. Not going to lie though, having the "assets" to look at is nice too.

lunarsoul
Aug 4, 2012, 12:29 PM
Quite frankly, I don't like the options you're given when making a male character, so that's why I normally roll female. It's always been that way for me in every PSO game though. Not going to lie though, having the "assets" to look at is nice too.

Cant disagree :) though I might make a new Male Char to promote less sexism. :-P

FacelessRed
Aug 4, 2012, 12:30 PM
I personally think it's a defect in what it means to be a Man.

Logically guys think: I'm a guy, I like girls. I want to see girls. Somehow this translates in MMORPG's into I want to BE a girl... I don't agree with it, I just try not to get bothered by it.

To me it's dishonesty. and I don't see that as a healthy human trait. *shrug*

Mikura
Aug 4, 2012, 12:37 PM
I personally think it's a defect in what it means to be a Man.

Logically guys think: I'm a guy, I like girls. I want to see girls. Somehow this translates in MMORPG's into I want to BE a girl... I don't agree with it, I just try not to get bothered by it.

To me it's dishonesty. and I don't see that as a healthy human trait. *shrug*

I don't see the harm in it as long as you let people know up-front that "Hey, I'm a guy by the way."

Now if you're one of those players that never bothers to mention it and even goes as far as pretending to be a girl just to get free loot from some poor sap, that's a different story. But I'll be honest, I feel no sympathy for any man dumb enough to do such a thing.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 4, 2012, 12:38 PM
Gynoid fetish. End of line.
+^_^+

gravityvx
Aug 4, 2012, 12:43 PM
I play both genders in every mmo, did I blow your minds? It's a game, you're not "being" anything, you're playing a character(now, if a guy is running around acting like a female that's another story). That kind of argument is like someone getting butthurt over a guy maining a female character in a fighter, it's no different but also sounds pretty ridiculous yeah? What people choose to play reflects nothing but ones personal tastes. I don't really think there is any more to this subject. :)

erehwoN
Aug 4, 2012, 12:43 PM
Now if you're one of those players that never bothers to mention it and even goes as far as pretending to be a girl just to get free loot from some poor sap, that's a different story. But I'll be honest, I feel no sympathy for any man dumb enough to do such a thing.
I once tried the reverse.
I made a male character and insisted I was a man in the real world. Nobody actually believed me.*

*based on a true and rather depressing story.

Gynoid fetish. End of line.
+^_^+
That must mean you have a relationship with the various appliances in the kitchen. :yes:

(I too am in the same position, I love my stove a wee bit much.)

Chik'Tikka
Aug 4, 2012, 12:50 PM
That must mean you have a relationship with the various appliances in the kitchen. :yes:

(I too am in the same position, I love my stove a wee bit much.)

+^_^+
gynoid;

A robotic creation designed to mimic the look and often behavior of a human female; from the Greek "gyn-," meaning "woman," and the suffix "-eides," meaning "of the species; alike." Male-form robots are known as "androids," although coloquially android or the gender-neutral diminuitive "droid" can refer to both.
"Dude, I built a gynoid for my android girlfriend!"
"So you built a robot lesbian?"
"What?"
"Nevermind."
[SPOILER-BOX]http://woondu.com/images/celebrity/sexy-cylon-girls-from-battlestar/cylon1.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

erehwoN
Aug 4, 2012, 12:53 PM
Oh I know the difference between gynoid and android and often berate people when they refer to a remale gynoid as android.

Ahem.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 4, 2012, 12:55 PM
Oh I know the difference between gynoid and android and often berate people when they refer to a remale gynoid as android.

Ahem.

+^_^+ well, you made the toaster reference first+^_^+ that's racist you know XD anyway, nice catch with that! robot lesbians... +^_^+

Xaeris
Aug 4, 2012, 12:55 PM
Hey now. For all you know, it's a prison girlfriend.

Mikura
Aug 4, 2012, 12:57 PM
+^_^+
gynoid;

A robotic creation designed to mimic the look and often behavior of a human female; from the Greek "gyn-," meaning "woman," and the suffix "-eides," meaning "of the species; alike." Male-form robots are known as "androids," although coloquially android or the gender-neutral diminuitive "droid" can refer to both.
"So you built a robot lesbian?"
"What?"
"Nevermind."
[spoiler-box]http://woondu.com/images/celebrity/sexy-cylon-girls-from-battlestar/cylon1.jpg[/spoiler-box]

I'm still holding out for real life persocoms to be invented where the switch to turn them on is in juuuuust the right place. ^^

erehwoN
Aug 4, 2012, 12:59 PM
+^_^+ well, you made the toaster reference first+^_^+ that's racist you know XD
Would it not be speciesism?
Since toasters are a different species from humans.

Wait... Did I just dig the hole deeper for all CAST lovers out there?

Kirukia
Aug 4, 2012, 01:43 PM
I once tried the reverse.
I made a male character and insisted I was a man in the real world. Nobody actually believed me.*

*based on a true and rather depressing story.

Welcome to my life. I often get asked if I'm a woman, even though I play a male character and am not a woman.

Mikura
Aug 4, 2012, 01:54 PM
Welcome to my life. I often get asked if I'm a woman, even though I play a male character and am not a woman.

I get that occasionally. But usually when I tell them my real gender, they believe me. I guess it's because I don't sound too much like a man or a woman online. o.O

Kondibon
Aug 4, 2012, 02:09 PM
robot lesbians... +^_^+I came back to this thread just in time didn't I. I love me some girlbots 8-)

Kinda Sorta On Topic: When it comes down to it I'm not even sure I like the idea of bringing my own gender into this, it's not always that simple. I always refer to people by the gender of their character unless they explicitly tell me not to though.
EDIT: In game I mean.

LaEspada
Aug 4, 2012, 02:12 PM
Kinda Sorta On Topic: When it comes down to it I'm not even sure I like the idea of bringing my own gender into this, it's not always that simple. I always refer to people by the gender of their character unless they explicitly tell me not to though.
EDIT: In game I mean.

Pretty much what I do also. Or judging by their behavior and choice of words I assume the gender.

Kondibon
Aug 4, 2012, 02:23 PM
Pretty much what I do also. Or judging by their behavior and choice of words I assume the gender.

I don't like to assume. I only even use a gender at all because I'm not pretentious enough to use those made up gender neutral pronouns. The farthest I go with that is referring to people as singular "They".

I actually really hate it when people assume my gender based on how I act. >:

oifjustus
Aug 4, 2012, 02:25 PM
Males look lame.. And have crappy clothes & from what I've seen it looks like sega put more effort into female characters..

MasterSpark
Aug 4, 2012, 02:30 PM
Males look lame.. And have crappy clothes & from what I've seen it looks like sega put more effort into female characters..

I'd be inclined to agree if it wasn't just for the standard FOnewm (that's force newman male for you uninitiated) attire. It is that swag enough to save the entire male gender, clothing-wise.

Shakuri
Aug 4, 2012, 02:33 PM
I dont mind when someone mistakes my gender, since it happens a lot anyway, I see no point in correcting them. To me, the internet is gender neutral, and I'd rather not know what gender someone is IRL because I don't see a reason to care. Im fine with being referred to as "It", or better yet, my character name.

As for the amount of females, Im sure you see plenty of males in this game, but since most of them look like females with different clothing its difficult to tell the difference while passing by.

NoiseHERO
Aug 4, 2012, 02:39 PM
I dont mind when someone mistakes my gender, since it happens a lot anyway, I see no point in correcting them. To me, the internet is gender neutral, and I'd rather not know what gender someone is IRL because I don't see a reason to care. Im fine with being referred to as "It", or better yet, my character name.

As for the amount of females, Im sure you see plenty of males in this game, but since most of them look like females with different clothing its difficult to tell the difference while passing by.

That's a lie!

Everyone in this game looks like a mutant!

Character creation has too much options. D:

Kazzi
Aug 4, 2012, 02:41 PM
Point in example:

[spoiler-box]http://i50.tinypic.com/2hq7xj5.gif[/spoiler-box]

Though I have seen a fair few FOnewm's in bright pink with feminine faces and hair. So those always catch me out.

NoiseHERO
Aug 4, 2012, 02:44 PM
Point in example:

[spoiler-box]http://i50.tinypic.com/2hq7xj5.gif[/spoiler-box]

Though I have seen a fair few FOnewm's in bright pink with feminine faces and hair. So those always catch me out.

LOOOOOL TOO ACCURATE!

TOO ACCURATE! D:

/Assumes this is sword art online? @_@

/has like 3 episodes downloaded, unwatched

Kazzi
Aug 4, 2012, 02:54 PM
LOOOOOL TOO ACCURATE!

TOO ACCURATE! D:

/Assumes this is sword art online? @_@

/has like 3 episodes downloaded, unwatched

Yup it is! I just thought that gif would be relevant to this thread XD

condiments
Aug 4, 2012, 05:53 PM
I find it interesting that the PSO2 gender ratio is so skewed towards females when its often the other way, but it doesn't bother me either way.

I usually make human male characters because I usually mold my avatars around something I identify with, as it serves as my conduit to the game world itself. Playing something that is like me, but ten times more badass can be fun, which is why I tend to focus on making my character look cool rather than sexual.

BIG OLAF
Aug 4, 2012, 06:42 PM
Everyone in this game looks like a mutant!

Especially (girl-disguised) Rock!

>0

Asuni
Aug 5, 2012, 02:36 AM
because you can have big boobies in this game and guys like boobies :3

DragonForce
Aug 5, 2012, 02:37 AM
I don't have time for this gender bullshit. Robots ftw!

Asuni
Aug 5, 2012, 02:39 AM
I don't have time for this gender bullshit. Robots ftw!

in this game the robots technically have genders :sleep:

DragonForce
Aug 5, 2012, 02:43 AM
Well we all know the first uses real robots will have when they start rolling off japanese production lines...

Muna
Aug 5, 2012, 04:24 AM
I play female (and a loli) cause it's easier to get the items from the horny guys.

How can anyybody resist the loli? (me included).

BIG OLAF
Aug 5, 2012, 08:23 AM

I can, and I do. It's quite easy. Even if I did find them 'attractive', which I don't in the slightest, the novelty would wear off after the first 200 or so 12-year-olds in moe saccharine dresses ran by.

Cyrusnagisa
Aug 5, 2012, 08:43 AM
I play female for the simple fact that I am a guy IRL, I don't want to stare at a guy all day, and I play enough other games where the main characters are guys.

There are a few games where I have felt more comfortable playing a guy though. Star Trek Online, and City of Heroes for instance.

I hate the rep that some guys give all of us though, not all of us play female to get free items or troll horny men.......

darkante
Aug 5, 2012, 10:59 AM
I could stare at my male cast ass all day.
Doesn't mean a thing for me.

gravityvx
Aug 5, 2012, 11:03 AM
I play both genders in every mmo, did I blow your minds? It's a game, you're not "being" anything, you're playing a character(now, if a guy is running around acting like a female that's another story). That kind of argument is like someone getting butthurt over a guy maining a female character in a fighter, it's no different but also sounds pretty ridiculous yeah? What people choose to play reflects nothing but ones personal tastes. I don't really think there is any more to this subject. :)

Quoting myself like a pro in hopes this thread dies sometime after.

Seizui
Aug 5, 2012, 12:55 PM
Welp, for those complaining about guys playing girls and vice versa...

Welcome to the Internet. It's been like that for years.

You can come out of your rock now.

Kondibon
Aug 5, 2012, 12:57 PM
Quoting myself like a pro in hopes this thread dies sometime after.

I think this is actually a pretty constructive thread compared to a lot of the others. At the very least we can learn some things about our fellow players, and that's always important in social games and forums like this.

BIG OLAF
Aug 5, 2012, 12:58 PM
I think this is actually a pretty constructive thread compared to a lot of the others. At the very least we can learn some things about our fellow players, and that's always important in social games and forums like this.

Oh, come now. People on the internet actually wanting to learn about others' differences instead of just calling them "freaks" and being done with it? Surely you jest.

Kondibon
Aug 5, 2012, 01:00 PM
Oh, come now. People on the internet actually wanting to learn about others' differences instead of just calling them "freaks" and being done with it? Surely you jest.I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. :-?

erehwoN
Aug 5, 2012, 01:01 PM
I must say that this thread is different from more "regular" ones about the subject because people here are so blunt about what they like. :-)
*caresses my stove*

Kondibon
Aug 5, 2012, 01:04 PM
I noticed that too. Also it hasn't really devolved into an argument, at least none related to the main topic, which reminds me.

I can't help but wonder why the thread hasn't died yet since I think everyone has had their say and we're kinda just falling off topic into things like personal preference and why we play certain character types instead of the very specific matter of why there are more female characters than male.

sugarFO
Aug 5, 2012, 01:05 PM
I can, and I do. It's quite easy. Even if I did find them 'attractive', which I don't in the slightest, the novelty would wear off after the first 200 or so 12-year-olds in moe saccharine dresses ran by.

http://i.imgur.com/jbPQM.jpg

Kondibon
Aug 5, 2012, 01:07 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/jbPQM.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]Ow! I think I just got a cavity.

BIG OLAF
Aug 5, 2012, 01:07 PM
I sure will 'hate.' Seems to be a pastime 'round here anyway. :lol:

Kondibon
Aug 5, 2012, 01:08 PM
I sure will.

You don't seem to like cute things very much.

erehwoN
Aug 5, 2012, 01:08 PM
I noticed that too. Also it hasn't really devolved into an argument, at least none related to the main topic, which reminds me.

I can't help but wonder why the thread hasn't died yet since I think everyone has had their say and we're kinda just falling off topic into things like personal preference and why we play certain character types instead of the very specific matter of why there are more female characters than male.
Because for once people aren't treating it as a serious topic?

As seen above. ^^;
All in good jest.

Cypher_9
Aug 5, 2012, 01:29 PM
Why is so much thought being put into this... in the end... its just 1's and 0's bebeh with some fancy movement...

Lets just roll with what Sakai said, "Females have a big role in the ARKs..." and end the endless cycle of the same question being spoken in different ways.... LOL

Also Exodus is the hero... will inherit the earth and rebirth all the nations... end quote...

Deviruki
Aug 5, 2012, 01:33 PM
Customization.

that is all.

Kondibon
Aug 5, 2012, 01:38 PM
Why is so much thought being put into this... in the end... its just 1's and 0's bebeh with some fancy movement...

And a movie is just a series of pictures replaced at an incredibly fast rate, and a painting is just colors organized in a way to look like something, if even that. People can be moved by them emotionally either way. What's your point?

I still agree with the rest though. Like I said on the last page, everyone kinda said everything already.

BIG OLAF
Aug 5, 2012, 01:42 PM
You don't seem to like cute things very much.

I prefer 'mature and sexy' over 'young and cute' any day, yes. Though, people can have the inverse opinion. I don't mind, really. It's just not for me.

...though, there are some characters, such as little GT (http://i.imgur.com/ANonw.jpg), that even I can't resist.

Cypher_9
Aug 5, 2012, 01:45 PM
And a movie is just a series of pictures replaced at an incredibly fast rate, and a painting is just colors organized in a way to look like something, if even that. People can be moved by them emotionally either way. What's your point?

Point is, who cares... everyone is going to like their character regardless since they created it.

Sides, I was just foolin around - looks like someone doesn't know a sense of humor when its seen... ; ;

Kondibon
Aug 5, 2012, 01:46 PM
I prefer 'mature and sexy' over 'young and cute' any day, yes. Though, people can have the inverse opinion. I don't mind, really. It's just not for me.

...though, there are some characters, such as little GT, that even I can't resist.

I like short stocky women, the key word there is women. The problem is that I tend to undershoot so everyone thinks I like lolis. Had I known that the number in the top right of the character creator was their height I would have used that.

Point is, who cares... everyone is going to like their character regardless since they created it.

Sides, I was just foolin around - looks like someone doesn't know a sense of humor when its seen... ; ;

I take everything seriously because risking offending someone who's serious by thinking they're joking is worse than killing a joke by thinking it's serious. But that's neither here nor there. I'm still doing my "Why is this thread even still here?" thing about half the threads on this forum so...

Cypher_9
Aug 5, 2012, 01:58 PM
I take everything seriously because risking offending someone who's serious by thinking they're joking is worse than killing a joke by thinking it's serious. But that's neither here nor there. I'm still doing my "Why is this thread even still here?" thing about half the threads on this forum so...

That is perfectly fine, I can see the logic in that, doesn't mean to be a smart ass about it.... LOL (least what I felt in the text, sorry to say that... not the first time that happen to me here)

... I guess the good thing about this is that it bring the people together... at least...

In regard to this topic I already gave my reason on another thread... D:

Kondibon
Aug 5, 2012, 02:14 PM
That is perfectly fine, I can see the logic in that, doesn't mean to be a smart ass about it.... LOL (least what I felt in the text, sorry to say that... not the first time that happen to me here)

... I guess the good thing about this is that it bring the people together... at least...

In regard to this topic I already gave my reason on another thread... D:It's fine, I usually use emotes and wording style as a way to determine how serious people are. So when someone doesn't I play a better safe than sorry thing. Unless I know them well enough to tell the difference. o 3o I personally usually stick "lolno" at the end when I'm saying something sarcastic that could be taken as serious otherwise. But I am getting way too off topic. I remember someone saying that the forums need a chat subforum. And I'm inclined to agree Though there are other places on the forums as a whole.

jmanx
Aug 5, 2012, 04:35 PM
Since I'm sexist my Male Character JMan will always be the main bread winner JWoman will always remain below

Mega Ultra Chicken
Aug 5, 2012, 04:40 PM
Lets just roll with what Sakai said, "Females have a big role in the ARKs..." and end the endless cycle of the same question being spoken in different ways.... LOL
I should have known I was forgetting something in my list.

-Phantasy Star has a history of prominent female fighters. Rika, Nei, Rico, Karen, Laia, Lisa, and others I haven't mentioned.

Retcon, AWAAAAAAY!

Blackheart521
Aug 5, 2012, 04:42 PM
I should have known I was forgetting something in my list.

-Phantasy Star has a history of prominent female characters. Rika, Nei, Rico, Karen, Laia, Emilia (whoever that is,) Lisa, and others I haven't mentioned.

We'll probably add Matoi, Shion and Echo to that list soon enough. ^^;

DragonForce
Aug 6, 2012, 12:28 AM

Just tell yourself what happened to jerry sandusky and that'll probably change your opinion.

GoldenFalcon
Aug 6, 2012, 12:32 AM
Just tell yourself what happened to jerry sandusky and that'll probably change your opinion.

who
please enlighten us

DragonForce
Aug 6, 2012, 12:34 AM
You seriously don't know who jerry sandusky is? I don't keep up on current events and I know who this fucker is. Google it you lazy bastard.

Asakust
Aug 6, 2012, 12:39 AM
I actually had to google that lol.

I don't see what love for lolis has to do with real children. The confusion sets in.

Macman
Aug 6, 2012, 03:58 AM
Mostly female characters because people like to sit around block 20 and fap.

sugarFO
Aug 6, 2012, 09:46 AM

LOL. I wouldn't doubt it xD

DragonForce
Aug 6, 2012, 06:33 PM
I actually had to google that lol.

I don't see what love for lolis has to do with real children. The confusion sets in.

I'm pretty sure most guys that like lollies don't just like them for their cuteness. ;)

blace
Aug 6, 2012, 06:34 PM
This was happening about an hour ago actually. Some guy sitting back staring at a female in a bikini shaking them while spamming "Emergency Code: Distraction".

supersonix9
Aug 6, 2012, 06:35 PM
There's only like 5 female characters I've seen that actually look unique. The rest all look the same to me :/

erehwoN
Aug 6, 2012, 06:35 PM
There's only like 5 female characters I've seen that actually look unique. The rest all look the same to me :/
Does my loli count?

Zyrusticae
Aug 6, 2012, 06:36 PM
I'm pretty sure most guys that like lollies don't just like them for their cuteness. ;)
I don't know about that. I imagine it is very similar to the love for adorable little kittens. I mean, you wouldn't say most folks who like kittens happen to also have... er... ulterior motives for doing so, right? (This is besides the fact that it's not really something you can help or decide for yourself.)

Huh. Really? I've seen plenty of memorable female characters...

Macman
Aug 6, 2012, 06:36 PM

Racist against newmans. :-x

supersonix9
Aug 6, 2012, 06:37 PM
Racist against newmans. :-x

Not at all?

Males can be Newmans.

Macman
Aug 6, 2012, 06:38 PM
Only 5% of them, though. :(

Cyrillic
Aug 6, 2012, 07:06 PM
I'm a guy and my first char shall be "loli" when the NA servers land.

I'm kinda fond of the "cute yet unexpectedly deadly" aesthetic.

As far as the original OP's question goes, i'm prolly repeating what's been said many times but I think the trend in japan favors slimmer/youthful/feminine/cute designs right now. I'm sure once NA lands we might see a lot more buff guys to counterbalance the cuteness fans. If the types that are drawn to such can pull away from the western games that pull off that look so well.

gigawuts
Aug 6, 2012, 07:10 PM
Oh man, I remember PSOBB. I played with a char named LOLicon and Futanari before I knew what either of those were.

I found out pretty quickly, though. A ha ha ha ha, I used to be so innocent.

Kondibon
Aug 6, 2012, 07:26 PM
Oh man, I remember PSOBB. I played with a char named LOLicon and Futanari before I knew what either of those were.

DUDE! I would have used those names even knowing what they mean!

Cyrillic
Aug 6, 2012, 07:29 PM
@Giga Wow, did someone suggest those names to you? That's so sneaky if they did XD

Back when i was new to MMOs and would never even TOUCH the idea of playing a girl character people kept asking me if I was a girl.

Utterly confused, it was years later i found out that "Rima" was the name of a girl character from a anime... and probably is used elsewhere too.

Inazuma
Aug 6, 2012, 07:55 PM

PSO2 has a fantastic character creator but there is no option to make a futanari, sadly. That's my thing.

Oh well. I ended up with a short and skinny elf girl with green hair, neko mimi and big tits, wearing a green bikini. It's near perfect and I am quite happy.

Looks aside, it's also the most practical character for me. I like using techs the best so female newman works out good there. Having her short and skinny helps me see more of my surroundings and maybe gives me a smaller hit box too.

gigawuts
Aug 6, 2012, 08:39 PM
No no, I meant I met other players with those names. There was a ragestorm over LOLicon's name in a lobby one day too.

I want a futacaseal~

Or at least the extra parts for one.

edit: Worth noting, both of those players were little loli FOnewearls too.

Kondibon
Aug 6, 2012, 08:58 PM
I want a futacaseal~

FUcaseal, someone make a character named that. >:

GoldenFalcon
Aug 6, 2012, 09:05 PM
Don't you mean Casanari?

sugarFO
Aug 6, 2012, 09:15 PM
This thread is now becoming a circle jerk about everyone's personal fetishes. Is this the inevitable outcome of any topic female related on this board? Gross!

GoldenFalcon
Aug 6, 2012, 09:18 PM
This thread is now becoming a circle jerk about everyone's personal fetishes. Is this the inevitable outcome of any topic female related on this board? Gross!

Uh, no?

Shakuri
Aug 6, 2012, 09:18 PM

I'd just say that's the internet in general.

Cept IMDb.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Aug 6, 2012, 09:21 PM

I'm not so sure. That one female player thread was derailed into Zipzo's spiel about how he's prejudiced against female gamers rather than something like what you're perceiving. And here, I think it's more "lol futa" rather than drooling over it.

Kondibon
Aug 6, 2012, 09:28 PM
And here, I think it's more "lol futa" rather than drooling over it.

This. I was just trying to be silly. ;;

Ecchi
Aug 6, 2012, 10:20 PM
Aesthetic reasons, I personally make male main characters but always end up making a female. They are just to damn cute >_<

Muna
Aug 6, 2012, 10:21 PM

You don't have to. Ty, goodbye.

That has nothing to do with it. If I like some graphics online, doesn't mean I have to do so irl.

You seriously don't know who jerry sandusky is? I don't keep up on current events and I know who this fucker is. Google it you lazy bastard.

You know, not everybody speaking English is from USA. And those people don't even care about local events in USA. It's not the center of the world. Everybody cares about their own local events.

I hate the rep that some guys give all of us though, not all of us play female to get free items or troll horny men.......

A tricky question... Am I a man or a woman?

BIG OLAF
Aug 6, 2012, 10:25 PM
You don't have to. Ty, goodbye.

But why you mad 'bout it tho? Relax, not like I was personally attacking you. Chill out.

sugarFO
Aug 6, 2012, 10:31 PM
But why you mad 'bout it tho? Relax, not like I was personally attacking you. Chill out.

Because you're like the only person who actively criticizes and puts down people's characters if they are not up to your "standard" yet if anyone criticizes your precious Nassandra, you get very defensive and upset. You're a hater, and not everyone appreciates it. It's a not a "u mad" thing, you're just being obnoxious with your comments.

BIG OLAF
Aug 6, 2012, 10:34 PM
Because you're like the only person who actively criticizes and puts down people's characters if they are not up to your "standard" yet if anyone criticizes your precious Nassandra, you get very defensive and upset. You're a hater, and not everyone appreciates it. It's a not a "u mad" thing, you're just being obnoxious with your comments.

Untrue. I never specifically call out a person and troll them/speak negatively to them regarding their preferences. I just say I dislike certain character designs and trends. Good try though.

Kondibon
Aug 6, 2012, 10:45 PM
Try to stay on topic you two. >:

sugarFO
Aug 6, 2012, 10:47 PM
Untrue. I never specifically call out a person and troll them/speak negatively to them regarding their preferences. I just say I dislike certain character designs and trends. Good try though.

tbh I'm finding Sizustars char quite attractive

She's 'cute' but I wouldn't say 'attractive.' Just what I think.
Was that comment really necessarily?

And you do get defensive.

Originally Posted by P4Kman
Lol someone missed their meds, chill out bro, it's my opinion and I'm allowed to have it. If you think it's sexy then more power to you, don't have to hate on me and supersonix for preferring our women to not look like men with tits. :P

You obviously wanted to troll me, else you would have kept it to your disgusting self. Next time keep it in your head, you wretched sack of garbage. Thanks.

BIG OLAF
Aug 6, 2012, 10:49 PM
Was that comment really necessarily?

Uh, yeah. I didn't say anything rude. I just said what I think. Did it look like I was telling Nedra that he was "wrong" or "a freak" for what he thought? Nope. I was just stating that Sizu wasn't "attractive" to me, just 'cute', since the words have different meanings.

And you do get defensive.

You're right. I never said I didn't. I get defensive when people say crude things that are just plain uncalled for, like an actual insult. If someone says "eh, not my cup of tea", then fine. But that's not what happened then.

Keep 'em coming.

Muna
Aug 6, 2012, 10:51 PM

I'm not mad and didn't thought I was attacked. O.o You don't have to like it. I don't like how your toon looks like either. We just not have anything to talk about. You wrote, I read. And we part ways, so goodbye.

Jakosifer
Aug 6, 2012, 11:00 PM
This topic hasn't been on topic since ten minutes after it was made hahaha.

10011408V3.9
Aug 6, 2012, 11:01 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7mwjrS0Id1rxustho1_500.jpg

I'm don't hold a particular stigma on people who prefer cross play (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrossPlayer) but I am a bit wary about them at first because there's always a chance it's a G.I.R.L. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GIRL) and those are walking trouble usually (even if you're in on the joke).

P.S.: On the internet, where words fail, images prevail!

sugarFO
Aug 6, 2012, 11:03 PM
Uh, yeah. I didn't say anything rude. I just said what I think. Did it look like I was telling Nedra that he was "wrong" or "a freak" for what he thought? Nope. I was just stating that Sizu wasn't "attractive" to me, just 'cute', since the words have different meanings.

You're right. I never said I didn't. I get defensive when people say crude things that are just plain uncalled for, like an actual insult. If someone says "eh, not my cup of tea", then fine. But that's not what happened then.

Keep 'em coming.

This is why people think you are obnoxious. What P4KMan said was not insulting, it was his opinion. You would know about that, since you state yours so freely, like in regards to sizustar's character. Buff characters were not his cup of tea. But you took that as a personal insult, which it wasn't.

Either way, I'm leaving this as is. I'm satisfied knowing that others feel the same way I do in regards to your comments, so I'll let you simmer in your own negativity now.

BIG OLAF
Aug 6, 2012, 11:07 PM
This is why people think you are obnoxious. What P4KMan said was not insulting, it was his opinion.

You must have missed the "no one likes your man with breasts" comment that fellow made. Don't talk about things you don't know all the details to. Or perhaps you did see that bit, but purposely omitted that part from your references to get people to side with you.

Also, I'm only 'obnoxious' to people who start shit with me for no reason. Like you, for instance.

You would know about that, since you state yours so freely, like in regards to sizustar's character.

You act like I hurt Sizu's feelings. I didn't. I paid him a compliment.

Either way, I'm leaving this as is. I'm satisfied knowing that others feel the same way I do in regards to your comments, so I'll let you simmer in your own negativity now.

That's fine. Go tell that one friend of yours what a good job you did making me look "bad."

Kondibon
Aug 6, 2012, 11:09 PM
Also, I'm only 'obnoxious' to people who start shit with me for no reason. Like you, for instance.

Actually, I find it obnoxious too and I haven't started anything with you yet. :/

EDIT: Just... PM me about it or something if you care, I don't want to bog down the thread anymore than it already is.

BIG OLAF
Aug 6, 2012, 11:11 PM
Actually, I find it obnoxious too and I haven't started anything with you yet. :/

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 6, 2012, 11:37 PM
@Giga Wow, did someone suggest those names to you? That's so sneaky if they did XD

Back when i was new to MMOs and would never even TOUCH the idea of playing a girl character people kept asking me if I was a girl.

Utterly confused, it was years later i found out that "Rima" was the name of a girl character from a anime... and probably is used elsewhere too.

once, long ago, i had a male character in an MMO, named John117, (i played a bit of halo back then+^_^+) tall, white hair, and i had like 50 people ask me if i was a girl+^_^+