PDA

View Full Version : Rules for PSO2 Legit Player Challenge

Haseokun
Aug 4, 2012, 05:03 PM
Hello, Haseokun here. :-) I came up with the idea about half a week ago to create a rule set for myself based on my playstyle and retrograde fondness for PSO, as well as the way that this rule set has helped me enjoy this game much in the ways I enjoyed the original Phantasy Star Online. ^^ Let us begin, shall we? :-D
:yes:Rules for PSO2 Retro PSO Player Challenge:yes:
Rule 1: Pick one class and level it to Forty. Then you may change classes and level that second class to Forty, before switching to the third. You are by no means required to level more than one class if you chose not to want to.
Rule 3: You are not allowed to change classes in order to fulfill the needs of a client order. You may do that client order on the required class after achieving FORTY on the class you devoted yourself to and have switched to it to begin/complete the order in question.
Rule 6: Use of weapons and armor is prohibited to what you find in the wild. You are allowed to grind weapons, increase the affinity/attribute, and add abilities to your weapons and armor at the NPC, because you were allowed to Tekk items in the original PSO.
Rule 7: You are allowed to learn any photon arts available to you, assuming you find the discs in either the NPC shops or out in the wild. Do not buy photon arts discs from player shops.
Rule 8: You are not allowed to buy anything from player shops. ANYTHING. Do. Not. Buy. Anything. From. Player. Shops. Understand? Do not even buy clothing. If you want clothing, buy it with your own AC credits. THAT is allowed. It's much simpler to outlaw the Player Shops than it is to count on people following restrictions to clothing, MAG devices, healing items, etc. If you are allowed to buy clothing from a user shop, you are going to feel the need to buy a weapon or armor illegitimately, and will find yourself breaking Rule 6 in the process.
Rule 8.5: Buying anything from player shops counts as cheating. I realize that shops did not exist in PSO, and I believe that if they had they would have broken the game even further than it was broken, in conjunction with the mass amount of duped items people would have sold to users who didn't know better. I understand that in this game they are meant to serve the user, but they also take away from the legitimacy of hunting your own stuff, to such a high degree that I feel the need to ban the use of Player Shops for players who want to accept this hardcore challenge.
Rule 9: You are allowed to trade with other players because trading items was a well known past time among old school PSO players. You are still not allowed to buy from their Player Shop. Trade, YES. Buy, NO.
Rule 11: You are allowed to accept all Client Orders and Matterboards available to the class you have chosen to play as, even if they want you to change classes to complete it. You may NOT however, change classes to complete the client order until you have leveled the job you are on to FORTY. Then you can change to the appropriate job and complete the order while leveling that job up legitimately as well.
Rule 12: There is no restriction on Autowords or Symbol Chat, as Symbol Chat existed in PSO, and Autowords are original to PSO2.
My hope is that any of you who have taken the time to read this find this both entertaining, thoughtful, and idealistic. I have been working all day on a specific ruleset to follow for my character which I am about to re-roll. I have used many of these rules already on my own on current character before I realized that Storage was linked between characters, and am going to proceed to remove all items from storage, and re-roll while following this Legit Players Challenge to the Forty cap.
I will of course take suggestions into considerations for minor changes to these rules, as well as any additional rules people would like to add. I am very open minded and will listen to other peoples opinions on why a rule should be modified or not modified, but please, send me a PM if you want to express your personal opinion on an already existing rule rather than flood the forum.
I have removed rules 2, 4, 5, and 10, as they all fall into the category of not playing with other players and caused unwanted restrictions on AC purchases which are new to PSO2. This is one thing that probably upset a lot of people initially, and after much debating I've decided to remove those rules completely and allow playing with anyone for this challenge, as well as full AC Shop purchases. I removed the restriction on AC Shops, but not Player Shops as I still feel that Player Shops take away from the Retro PSO feeling by essentially removing the need to trade items and have to hunt them down. You can buy everything you really NEED from the NPC shops. Plenty of weapons and armor that are useful enough drop on missions themselves, without needing to rely on other players shops for them. Even so, as I said before trading is perfectly ok. Unfortunately, this opens up a can of worms so to speak regarding people buying items off of the Player Shops in order to trade them to their friends, however, because trading was allowed in PSO it is being allowed here despite the Player Shop restriction. This should help alleviate peoples problems with that rule. I won't require that you not ask your friends to buy you things just to trade them to you. That is not really a rule breaker as it still falls within the new guidelines of this challenge. I personally will not be buying items off of the Player Shops, but will have no problem trading things I have found if people need or want them.

gigawuts
Aug 4, 2012, 05:06 PM
To skip a lot of bashing, why don't you just read the replies in this thread

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198188

"Legit" in gaming terms means intended gameplay, or gameplay within the guidelines placed by the game creators. Everything in the AC shop is fair game, every NPC available is fair game, everything in the player shops is fair game (I assume you recall trading for PD's was a thing, right?), and really everything but standing outside windows is fair game.

Valkyrie Lovrina
Aug 4, 2012, 05:07 PM
eats popcorn.gif

sugarFO
Aug 4, 2012, 05:11 PM
Hi I don't get it lol

jooozek
Aug 4, 2012, 05:16 PM
Now that's one challenged challenge.

Kondibon
Aug 4, 2012, 05:18 PM
EverytimeIseesomeonetryingtogetthePSOexperienceout ofPSO2Ilaughtomyself

Legit isn't the word I'd use here.

GoldenFalcon
Aug 4, 2012, 05:21 PM
Legit only meant you didn't take duped items from other people
This is funny

Haseokun
Aug 4, 2012, 05:21 PM

"Legit" in gaming terms means intended gameplay, or gameplay within the guidelines placed by the game creators. Everything in the AC shop is fair game, every NPC available is fair game, everything in the player shops is fair game (I assume you recall trading for PD's was a thing, right?), and really everything but standing outside windows is fair game.

This clearly means you're not up for the challenge. I read that entire forum before even creating this one. For the most part all people did was bash that guy for wanting to play differently than them. The more hardcore players who actually look for a challenge like this will be more inclined to go for it. The rules are open enough. My rules are completely different, and far more thought out than that persons were. The word Legit is incredibly dependent on the player in questions perspective, and not the preset rules of the game. When you change the rules of the game, what becomes Legit changes with it.

Xaeris
Aug 4, 2012, 05:22 PM
This thread is going places.

gigawuts
Aug 4, 2012, 05:23 PM
This clearly means you're not up for the challenge. I read that entire forum before even creating this one. For the most part all people did was bash that guy for wanting to play differently than them. The more hardcore players who actually look for a challenge like this will be more inclined to go for it. The rules are open enough. My rules are completely different, and far more thought out than that persons were. The word Legit is incredibly dependent on the player in questions perspective, and not the preset rules of the game. When you change the rules of the game, what becomes Legit changes with it.

Yep, you got me. I'm not up to your challenge.

Legit just means not breaking any rules. You might be legit according to your rules, but that doesn't make anyone else's gameplay illegitimate.

Lostbob117
Aug 4, 2012, 05:24 PM
I'm a legit player because I play the game.

Haseokun
Aug 4, 2012, 05:26 PM
I edited the title a bit within the post to state "Rules for PSO2 Retro PSO Player Challenge", as it feels more appropriate.

darkante
Aug 4, 2012, 05:26 PM
I like the idea, but i doubt i ever try that.
Don´t see the point of bashing it.

Mystil
Aug 4, 2012, 05:29 PM
I thought this legit crap died with EP1 and 2.

GoldenFalcon
Aug 4, 2012, 05:30 PM
I failed retroactively since I like buying from player shops, because it's retarded that the things that drop at level 30+ can be used at level 15

Haseokun
Aug 4, 2012, 05:31 PM

Legit just means not breaking any rules. You might be legit according to your rules, but that doesn't make anyone else's gameplay illegitimate.

You are completely right. I never said other people are not legit. Thanks to your advice I actually though of a better title that sounds more correct. I'll never claim anyone who doesn't do this isn't legit. In fact if I could I'd even change the title to reflect that. After all, I don't want people getting the wrong idea. This challenge is meant to be aimed at Retro PSO Players who loved the way that game played, and want to play this game a bit differently than others, more so in the style of the original.
I for one loved hunting down rares, waiting for that red box to pop. In this game I'm enjoying the Summer Rappies, and hope that in Hard Mode they drop some good stuff.

Kondibon
Aug 4, 2012, 05:32 PM
The word Legit is incredibly dependent on the player in questions perspective, and not the preset rules of the game. When you change the rules of the game, what becomes Legit changes with it.If legit is so subjective why use it in this context? All it did was make me feel you have an inflated sense of self worth. I understand that it's your playstyle and you're just offering a challenge for people, but your choice of wording makes it seem like you're dissing everyone who doesn't play that way as not being "legit".

When it comes down you it, you can't "Change the rules of the game". Sure, some people may have special agreed upon things, and there may be matters of simple etiquette. But with video games the GAME decides the rules. I really hate to use this word but the way you put it (and the way you reacted gigawuts) makes you come off as a "scrub" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Scrub).

I can understand if you aren't trying to force your rules on other people, but it's important to remember not to sound like you're insulting people who don't play that way, or who don't want to play that way.

gigawuts
Aug 4, 2012, 05:33 PM
You are completely right. I never said other people are not legit. Thanks to your advice I actually though of a better title that sounds more correct. I'll never claim anyone who doesn't do this isn't legit. In fact if I could I'd even change the title to reflect that. After all, I don't want people getting the wrong idea. This challenge is meant to be aimed at Retro PSO Players who loved the way that game played, and want to play this game a bit differently than others, more so in the style of the original.
I for one loved hunting down rares, waiting for that red box to pop. In this game I'm enjoying the Summer Rappies, and hope that in Hard Mode they drop some good stuff.

Oooh, it's usually implied when a person says "this is legit" that anyone else is not legit.

Yeah an editing might be a good idea.

I've tried to find the feel I got in PSO1 doing repeated runs for a specific rare. While you can't hunt one specific rare anymore because of random spawns, you can still get that feeling of repeated runs. Just get into a multiparty area and zip around it, instead of heading to the boss. Bosses even periodically show up in the field, giving back that element of not always knowing a layout so being unsure when you'd find the boss teleporter.

Lostbob117
Aug 4, 2012, 05:34 PM
The only not legit people in the game is npc's.

Haseokun
Aug 4, 2012, 05:37 PM
I failed retroactively since I like buying from player shops, because it's retarded that the things that drop at level 30+ can be used at level 15

Man, that problem existed even back in PSO PC. All you had to do was have a MAG with a high enough stat, and BOOM, you could equip something way higher than you should've been able to. I remember the Shato Mags, and how with one of those you could equip some of the really nice Swords, Sabers, and Twin Daggers at incredibly low levels. That problem still exists, but in a sense is a fun way to overpower the monsters thanks to your MAG. One of the good things about this ruleset is you won't be getting those lv30 Weapons at early levels, thus avoiding the problem entirely. You can be a lv5 player wielding 4 Star or higher weapon in this game if your MAG is leveled enough, just like in the original PSO. Theoretically you could just set the 40 min timer, and afk feed your mag evertime the timer goes off, and still be a lv5 player able to equip a much higher weapon that you could buy off a Player Shop. Though you could also find one in the Volcano area just as easily once you clear the Forest Mission in 15 min without even having to touch a player shop.

Haseokun
Aug 4, 2012, 05:39 PM
Oooh, it's usually implied when a person says "this is legit" that anyone else is not legit.

Yeah an editing might be a good idea.

I've tried to find the feel I got in PSO1 doing repeated runs for a specific rare. While you can't hunt one specific rare anymore because of random spawns, you can still get that feeling of repeated runs. Just get into a multiparty area and zip around it, instead of heading to the boss. Bosses even periodically show up in the field, giving back that element of not always knowing a layout so being unsure when you'd find the boss teleporter.

Yea I love it when Rockbears randomly show up for Emergency Attacks unexpectedly. Same goes for the Fish dudes. It gives you that miniboss feeling that the Gi Gues from PSO kinda gave you, especially in the way the Darker Breeadas fight.

Keilyn
Aug 4, 2012, 05:47 PM
Cute...

Playing legit in a game that blocks out some of the most basic functions mmorpg gamers have access to, unless of course one pays real money for it.

It all started with clothes in games, then it spread to enhancing weapons and finally to basic things player start out with. I will play this game with a small group of people but I will chance things with guild wars 2, a game where outside of purchasing the actual game, I do not need to shell out money each month to be capable of performing the basic of the basic.

Free-to-play........My ASS......unless you love struggling and remaining as a cripple.

Haseokun
Aug 4, 2012, 05:48 PM
If legit is so subjective why use it in this context? All it did was make me feel you have an inflated sense of self worth. I understand that it's your playstyle and you're just offering a challenge for people, but your choice of wording makes it seem like you're dissing everyone who doesn't play that way as not being "legit".

When it comes down you it, you can't "Change the rules of the game". Sure, some people may have special agreed upon things, and there may be matters of simple etiquette. But with video games the GAME decides the rules. I really hate to use this word but the way you put it (and the way you reacted gigawuts) makes you come off as a "scrub" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Scrub).

I can understand if you aren't trying to force your rules on other people, but it's important to remember not to sound like you're insulting people who don't play that way, or who don't want to play that way.

I understand how it could've come across in a manner other than intended, after all, everything over the internet is context sensitive. I never said that I believe my rules should apply to everyone. I even mentioned in my original unedited post that I would take suggestions. I've already corrected the main topic and given it a more appropriate title. I'm far from a scrub though. The rules of the challenge only apply to those who desire to take part in it. It's something that is there for fun, not professionalism.

Kondibon
Aug 4, 2012, 05:49 PM
I understand how it could've come across in a manner other than intended, after all, everything over the internet is context sensitive. I never said that I believe my rules should apply to everyone. I even mentioned in my original unedited post that I would take suggestions. I've already corrected the main topic and given it a more appropriate title. I'm far from a scrub though. The rules of the challenge only apply to those who desire to take part in it. It's something that is there for fun, not professionalism.

Fair enough. I just thought it might explain why people get pissy about stuff like this. At least you're mature about it.

Haseokun
Aug 4, 2012, 05:52 PM
Cute...

Playing legit in a game that blocks out some of the most basic functions mmorpg gamers have access to, unless of course one pays real money for it.

It all started with clothes in games, then it spread to enhancing weapons and finally to basic things player start out with. I will play this game with a small group of people but I will chance things with guild wars 2, a game where outside of purchasing the actual game, I do not need to shell out money each month to be capable of performing the basic of the basic.

Free-to-play........My ASS......unless you love struggling and remaining as a cripple.

AC isn't completely required in this game. It is required for some annoyingly basic functions that should be free though. Room Tickets and Player Shops come to mind. You can get to Forty on this game without every spending a dime in real world money though, and a lot of AC items get put up in Player Shops anyways. Thankfully you can be part of a Team/Guild without having to pay AC for it, and no quests require items that cost AC.

Yuicihi
Aug 4, 2012, 05:54 PM
Just call it something else, and most wouldn't have as much of a problem with it.

Haseokun
Aug 4, 2012, 05:58 PM
Just call it something else, and most wouldn't have as much of a problem with it.

If I could change the title to match the subject I would. Unfortunately I believe only Mods have the power to change the actual title of the thread itself.

Gardios
Aug 4, 2012, 06:03 PM
As others have said, your definition of legit is off.

Oh well, I have actual popcorn here. Brb making myself some.

Polly
Aug 4, 2012, 06:05 PM
Rule 13 - Don't fart.

The Walrus
Aug 4, 2012, 06:08 PM
Rule 14- Your character must be as short as possible and wear the skimpiest clothing possible

GoldenFalcon
Aug 4, 2012, 06:25 PM
Man, that problem existed even back in PSO PC. All you had to do was rant rant

Without a mag, you can use weapons like Alba Breaker at level 20, easily
But things still drop regular Breakers, and maybe an Alba Sword or two

Gardios
Aug 4, 2012, 06:30 PM
Rule 14- Your character must be as short as possible and wear the skimpiest clothing possible

Shouldn't that be included in Rule 34...? *cough*

GoldenFalcon
Aug 4, 2012, 06:31 PM
Shouldn't that be included in Rule 34...? *cough*

Do you volunteer to make 20 more legit rules? lol

Gardios
Aug 4, 2012, 06:32 PM
No need! The rule is already implied!

Blackheart521
Aug 4, 2012, 06:36 PM

LEGIT AS HAYULL! :yes:

BIG OLAF
Aug 4, 2012, 06:38 PM
This thread is going places.

Like FKL, probably.

I only have half of this rule covered (get it?!?! :wacko:).

Blackheart521
Aug 4, 2012, 06:44 PM
I only have half of this rule covered (get it?!?! :wacko:).

your character IS really short Olaf. ^^;

Yunfa
Aug 4, 2012, 07:16 PM

SNaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap

Haseokun
Aug 5, 2012, 08:18 AM
I should've known this would dissolve into some sort of lame debauchery.
deˇbauchˇerˇy
[ di báwchəree ]
deˇbauchˇerˇies plural
NOUN
immoral behavior: unrestrained self-indulgent immoral behavior, or an instance of this

Haseokun
Aug 5, 2012, 08:22 AM
Without a mag, you can use weapons like Alba Breaker at level 20, easily
But things still drop regular Breakers, and maybe an Alba Sword or two

I wasn't ranting I was reminiscing and agreeing with the quoted post regarding ease of equips and similarities to how Mags were handled in PSO.

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 5, 2012, 09:00 AM
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac95/lassie84/mjpopcornbitchplsjpg.gif

Sizustar
Aug 5, 2012, 09:02 AM
I should've known this would dissolve into some sort of lame debauchery.
deˇbauchˇerˇy
[ di báwchəree ]
deˇbauchˇerˇies plural
NOUN
immoral behavior: unrestrained self-indulgent immoral behavior, or an instance of this

Then you shouldn't be suprised by the response in this thread.

Haseokun
Aug 5, 2012, 09:04 AM
I'm not surprised. I'm actually taking it with a grain of salt and laughing about it. I had a friend who even came in here and read over the thread and was laughing his ass off. I find peoples responses entertaining and humorous, especially given the serious nature of the internet, and the impled drama within.

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 5, 2012, 09:06 AM
Don't worry, bro. We got laughs out of your expense too, so the feeling is mutual.

Leyline
Aug 5, 2012, 10:04 AM
If you want to play "legit". You find all of your stuff, trading with other players was never part of it and never considered legit, even on the original PSO. You could trade and have any item in the game within a very short period, just like this game you can surf shops and have anything in the game in a very short period.

Should of made your rules a lot simpler. Find all of your equipment/items. I do agree the the shop system is a very bad addition to a PSO game. I think the game needs more emphasis on the item hunting log. It doesn't fill in when you buy items, but it should be visible to other players.

I would of prefered a system where you cannot trade / sell rares too.

goldwing
Aug 5, 2012, 10:14 AM
Hello, Haseokun here. :-) I came up with the idea about half a week ago to create a rule set for myself based on my playstyle and retrograde fondness for PSO, as well as the way that this rule set has helped me enjoy this game much in the ways I enjoyed the original Phantasy Star Online. ^^ Let us begin, shall we? :-D
:yes:Rules for PSO2 Retro PSO Player Challenge:yes:
Rule 1: Pick one class and level it to Forty. Then you may change classes and level that second class to Forty, before switching to the third. You are by no means required to level more than one class if you chose not to want to.
Rule 3: You are not allowed to change classes in order to fulfill the needs of a client order. You may do that client order on the required class after achieving FORTY on the class you devoted yourself to and have switched to it to begin/complete the order in question.
Rule 6: Use of weapons and armor is prohibited to what you find in the wild. You are allowed to grind weapons, increase the affinity/attribute, and add abilities to your weapons and armor at the NPC, because you were allowed to Tekk items in the original PSO.
Rule 7: You are allowed to learn any photon arts available to you, assuming you find the discs in either the NPC shops or out in the wild. Do not buy photon arts discs from player shops.
Rule 8: You are not allowed to buy anything from player shops. ANYTHING. Do. Not. Buy. Anything. From. Player. Shops. Understand? Do not even buy clothing. If you want clothing, buy it with your own AC credits. THAT is allowed. It's much simpler to outlaw the Player Shops than it is to count on people following restrictions to clothing, MAG devices, healing items, etc. If you are allowed to buy clothing from a user shop, you are going to feel the need to buy a weapon or armor illegitimately, and will find yourself breaking Rule 6 in the process.
Rule 8.5: Buying anything from player shops counts as cheating. I realize that shops did not exist in PSO, and I believe that if they had they would have broken the game even further than it was broken, in conjunction with the mass amount of duped items people would have sold to users who didn't know better. I understand that in this game they are meant to serve the user, but they also take away from the legitimacy of hunting your own stuff, to such a high degree that I feel the need to ban the use of Player Shops for players who want to accept this hardcore challenge.
Rule 9: You are allowed to trade with other players because trading items was a well known past time among old school PSO players. You are still not allowed to buy from their Player Shop. Trade, YES. Buy, NO.
Rule 11: You are allowed to accept all Client Orders and Matterboards available to the class you have chosen to play as, even if they want you to change classes to complete it. You may NOT however, change classes to complete the client order until you have leveled the job you are on to FORTY. Then you can change to the appropriate job and complete the order while leveling that job up legitimately as well.
Rule 12: There is no restriction on Autowords or Symbol Chat, as Symbol Chat existed in PSO, and Autowords are original to PSO2.
My hope is that any of you who have taken the time to read this find this both entertaining, thoughtful, and idealistic. I have been working all day on a specific ruleset to follow for my character which I am about to re-roll. I have used many of these rules already on my own on current character before I realized that Storage was linked between characters, and am going to proceed to remove all items from storage, and re-roll while following this Legit Players Challenge to the Forty cap.
I will of course take suggestions into considerations for minor changes to these rules, as well as any additional rules people would like to add. I am very open minded and will listen to other peoples opinions on why a rule should be modified or not modified, but please, send me a PM if you want to express your personal opinion on an already existing rule rather than flood the forum.
I have removed rules 2, 4, 5, and 10, as they all fall into the category of not playing with other players and caused unwanted restrictions on AC purchases which are new to PSO2. This is one thing that probably upset a lot of people initially, and after much debating I've decided to remove those rules completely and allow playing with anyone for this challenge, as well as full AC Shop purchases. I removed the restriction on AC Shops, but not Player Shops as I still feel that Player Shops take away from the Retro PSO feeling by essentially removing the need to trade items and have to hunt them down. You can buy everything you really NEED from the NPC shops. Plenty of weapons and armor that are useful enough drop on missions themselves, without needing to rely on other players shops for them. Even so, as I said before trading is perfectly ok. Unfortunately, this opens up a can of worms so to speak regarding people buying items off of the Player Shops in order to trade them to their friends, however, because trading was allowed in PSO it is being allowed here despite the Player Shop restriction. This should help alleviate peoples problems with that rule. I won't require that you not ask your friends to buy you things just to trade them to you. That is not really a rule breaker as it still falls within the new guidelines of this challenge. I personally will not be buying items off of the Player Shops, but will have no problem trading things I have found if people need or want them.

Awwwz rule 8 and im automaticly band? To my knoledge ppl did buy from other players by means of trade if i do recall. I dont think its fair to call me a non lagit because i bought my outfit!!! I mean iv followed ur rules down to the T. All the weps i use i found i ground and spent time on finding the pas. Cant u lift that rule of not even buying otfits?

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 5, 2012, 10:53 AM
If you want to play "legit". You find all of your stuff, trading with other players was never part of it and never considered legit, even on the original PSO. You could trade and have any item in the game within a very short period, just like this game you can surf shops and have anything in the game in a very short period.

Should of made your rules a lot simpler. Find all of your equipment/items. I do agree the the shop system is a very bad addition to a PSO game. I think the game needs more emphasis on the item hunting log. It doesn't fill in when you buy items, but it should be visible to other players.

I would of prefered a system where you cannot trade / sell rares too.

Trust me... with the drop rates for some of the rares in this game, the shop system is a godsend. You'd be begging to have one if someone told you, "Oh, you want it like original PSO and you're a Force? Alright. Go find a Garland"

Yeah, that seems legit.

Coatl
Aug 5, 2012, 10:57 AM
This reminds me of those pokemon Nuzlock runs people do.
It's just an illusory challenge people place on themselves.
It's fun for some, but generally not for most.

The only reason this thread is going to burn to ashes is because of the word legit being thrown around senselessly.

Blastifyys
Aug 5, 2012, 11:04 AM
personally i think your rules of legitimate are nice but they don't apply to me because what legitimate means to me is playing the game it was meant to be played they did not put player shops in the game for no people at all to use them i mean c'mon now!

erehwoN
Aug 5, 2012, 11:06 AM
"Please respect my opinion that I'm not respecting yours."

I was actually going to use that as my sig rather than my current masterpiece. It's something that I like to toss around when there is no winner on either side even though they both claim to be. :etongue:
Oh or maybe "I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm saying I'm right.". (not really sure where I am going with this however)

Additionally the only rule that clothes could possibly break is if you were to prance around nude.
The games are simply to different to arbitrary try apply the same rules to them.

Zipzo
Aug 5, 2012, 12:52 PM
*Insert long, Zipzo-esque rant here*

Haseokun
Aug 5, 2012, 01:32 PM
Don't worry, bro. We got laughs out of your expense too, so the feeling is mutual.

And that is how it should be, after all if you can't laugh at yourself with others, then you just might lack a sense of humor :). I'm more inclined to laugh with friends, even at my own expense and mistakes, rather than make fun of them. The occasional sarcastic/snide comeback comment aside of course, haha.

Haseokun
Aug 5, 2012, 01:33 PM
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac95/lassie84/mjpopcornbitchplsjpg.gif

Love the MJ .gif, quite appropriate, and quite funny. I also have Popcorn, and am watching the movie Hanna.

Kanore
Aug 5, 2012, 01:34 PM
why is legit even a thing in this game you can't even trade dupes wtf

Haseokun
Aug 5, 2012, 01:46 PM
Awwwz rule 8 and im automaticly band? To my knowledge ppl did buy from other players by means of trade if i do recall. I dont think its fair to call me a non legit because i bought my outfit!!! I mean iv followed ur rules down to the T. All the weps i use i found i ground and spent time on finding the pas. Cant u lift that rule of not even buying outfits?

Actually originally this was the plan, to allow people to buy clothing from user shops, and healing items, and mag devices. I realized though that this opens up the ability for people to buy whatever the heck they want though if I remove this rule and allow player shops. It would be nearly impossible to expect people to follow the rule of only buying clothing from player shops, as opposed to banning the use of player shops outright.
I think I remember what you are talking about as well, how people would toss meseta on the ground in PSOBB in exchange for weak rares. Some people on PSO needed meseta more than rares because they either had the rare, or really needed the meseta to raise their Mags. The way around the inability to buy clothing from Player Shops is to buy clothing with AC Credits. Even I myself would like a better outfit, but instead stick with the one I began with in order to follow my own rules. The best outfits are typically bought with AC anyways.
I'll take this into consideration and listen to the feedback from the other posters in this thread regarding what rules they would like edited, or removed all together. I've removed a few rules already just this morning at the advice of others, after debating whether those rules were truly needed for the Retro PSO Challenge.

Haseokun
Aug 5, 2012, 01:53 PM
Trust me... with the drop rates for some of the rares in this game, the shop system is a godsend. You'd be begging to have one if someone told you, "Oh, you want it like original PSO and you're a Force? Alright. Go find a Garland"

Yeah, that seems legit.

I've heard about this already, sure it's more of a challenge to get what you want, but I'm sure people like myself remember exactly how bad some of the drop rates were on PSO, which honestly were probably worse than the worst ones on this game. Some drops in PSO had a less than 3% Droprate. Some drops were so bad they had a 0.0333 drop rate. Yasminakovs are a weapon that comes to mind, same for some of the higher end rifles in PSO, not to mention Guld and Milla, or Excalibur. This game isn't as harsh on its players either. You can get by with basic weapons and armor for the most part in this game. In PSO you basically HAD to have an awesome weapon just to survive the higher end game modes, especially Ultimate. Relying on the ability to buy a weapon from a shop takes the ownership pride away from finding it yourself. It makes the weapon completely lack any sort of personalization or feel to it. In PSO this was one of those things where you really remembered when you got what you wanted, and it got cemented in your brain as a pleasant memory, a reward for all the time you spent grinding. If you simply buy it off someone elses shop randomly, you miss out on all that.

Kondibon
Aug 5, 2012, 01:57 PM
Actually originally this was the plan, to allow people to buy clothing from user shops, and healing items, and mag devices. I realized though that this opens up the ability for people to buy whatever the heck they want though if I remove this rule and allow player shops. It would be nearly impossible to expect people to follow the rule of only buying clothing from player shops, as opposed to banning the use of player shops outright.

It would be nearly impossible to expect people to follow any of the rules, I think that if you had said clothes and mag devices are ok then, just like everything else anyone who actually wants to do the challenge would stick to that.

Haseokun
Aug 5, 2012, 02:04 PM
"Please respect my opinion that I'm not respecting yours."

I was actually going to use that as my sig rather than my current masterpiece. It's something that I like to toss around when there is no winner on either side even though they both claim to be. :etongue:
Oh or maybe "I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm saying I'm right.". (not really sure where I am going with this however)

Additionally the only rule that clothes could possibly break is if you were to prance around nude.
The games are simply to different to arbitrary try apply the same rules to them.

I don't really have any problem with people buying clothes. It's the possibility that they might wander off and buy other non related things out of habit, rather than just buying clothing that causes me to be so harsh with the no Player Shop rule. It would be nice if Sega allowed various rare creatures to drop fashionable attire, similar to how they did in PSP2, but alas I'm fairly sure they will stick to clothing being AC online. Like say the Summer Rappies dropping Swimwear...which would be VERY appropriate.
In most F2P games when you buy vanity items from a cash shop they are permanently bound to that one character, not tradeable, and not sellable. Why Sega allows people to sell them on the Player Shops is something I'm not really sure of. In PSP1 and PSP2 you couldn't even sell Clothing to the NPCs.

Jakosifer
Aug 5, 2012, 02:07 PM
Have fun playing PSO 1.3 lol.

Haseokun
Aug 5, 2012, 02:08 PM
It would be nearly impossible to expect people to follow any of the rules, I think that if you had said clothes and mag devices are ok then, just like everything else anyone who actually wants to do the challenge would stick to that.

I'm taking it into consideration. Depending on community feedback, if others say that this is what is keeping them from accepting the challenge, and that they would be willing to take part in it with certain modifications to the rule, then I'll see what I can do.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 5, 2012, 03:20 PM
i broke rule 8+^_^+ but i wanted a blukini and unless your willing to give me a CC number, i won't has AC for a long while+^_^+ otherwise i followed everything else, ground my own weps and armor+^_^+

mctastee
Aug 5, 2012, 06:26 PM
You need to format your post better. I really didn't want to read it. Anyway, I get the gist of it, but this isn't much different from how I have been playing so challenge denied.

goliath1986
Aug 5, 2012, 06:51 PM
if you are not allowed to buy anything from player shops it shouldnt be allowd to sell to other players either

gigawuts
Aug 5, 2012, 06:52 PM
Aaah, finding common rares in PSO. Sell for 1 meseta, or tekk for 100 and sell for 10?

Decisions...

Ryno
Aug 5, 2012, 06:56 PM

LoL. was about to say the same thing... why dont everyone just read the replies in the thread I started.

guess no one does not go to "PSO2: Gameplay, Guides & Walkthroughs" forums that often

Angelo
Aug 5, 2012, 07:18 PM
This thread made me want to go watch Chris-Chan videos.

Haseokun
Aug 6, 2012, 05:50 AM
i broke rule 8+^_^+ but i wanted a blukini and unless your willing to give me a CC number, i won't has AC for a long while+^_^+ otherwise i followed everything else, ground my own weps and armor+^_^+
I'm still debating on allowing this. I see no reason to keep people from buying clothing, mag devices, and healing items from Player Shops. I'm waiting on the feedback from others to make a decision. I haven't broken any of my rules, including this one. I understand your scenario and how it's very risky to mess with AC right now. Thank you for following the guide to the best of your abilities, even if you felt the need to get new clothing, which is understandable, and acceptable given that PSOBB allowed you to go back to the Dressing Room if you were in a Team/Guild with enough points and change your clothes.
If other people come forward an mention similar scenarios I will change the rule to reflect the ability to purchase clothing in Player Shops. I would still rather players get their armor and weapons on their own from monsters, just as I have.
I find a lot of satisfaction is to be found when the Red Boxes, or in some cases straight up Red Weapons pop in this game. I nabbed a 7* Gunslash earlier and have been loving it. I grinded it to +8 and took ownership of the item. Had I bought this item off the Player Shop, i would not have felt that sense of pride of ownership of having earned the item by killing monsters in the Volcano. I even managed to get a second one. One is wind and the other is fire.

jooozek
Aug 6, 2012, 05:54 AM
I nabbed a 7* Gunslash earlier and have been loving it. I grinded it to +8 and took ownership of the item. Had I bought this item off the Player Shop, i would not have felt that sense of pride of ownership of having earned the item by killing monsters in the Volcano. I even managed to get a second one. One is wind and the other is fire.

Oh boy, you got happy from having a DB Saber tier drop? :-D

Haseokun
Aug 6, 2012, 09:27 AM
Oh boy, you got happy from having a DB Saber tier drop? :-D

Back in the day at first yes I sure did. I was even happy with the annoyingly common Varistas and Visks that dropped like popcorn. I also remember getting the Inferno Bazooka, that was fun.
So far no rares drop like frequently like that. I do know that people who don't want the 7* Gunslash end up with it, but I don't mind, after all in this game you choose the element and the abilities to tek into your weapon much like in PSO.

The Walrus
Aug 6, 2012, 09:47 AM
Oh wow this thread is still around

erehwoN
Aug 6, 2012, 10:00 AM
I don't really have any problem with people buying clothes. It's the possibility that they might wander off and buy other non related things out of habit, rather than just buying clothing that causes me to be so harsh with the no Player Shop rule. It would be nice if Sega allowed various rare creatures to drop fashionable attire, similar to how they did in PSP2, but alas I'm fairly sure they will stick to clothing being AC online. Like say the Summer Rappies dropping Swimwear...which would be VERY appropriate.

It's an overly silly requirement which as you probably have noticed is getting all the attention and pulling away any kind of seriousness this may have.

In most F2P games when you buy vanity items from a cash shop they are permanently bound to that one character, not tradeable, and not sellable. Why Sega allows people to sell them on the Player Shops is something I'm not really sure of. In PSP1 and PSP2 you couldn't even sell Clothing to the NPCs.
Isn't it obvious? This isn't any of those games.
Outside of keeping the aesthetics of PSO1 what is the point?
(if this come off a slightly aggressive question then 50% on the sorry part. Because I genuinely don't see the point of it.)

Reia
Aug 6, 2012, 02:18 PM
I came that the rules were fine by me but I laughed out hard at Rule 8, considering I'm coming from a game that you are not allowed to trade at all and the gatchas could troll you not giving anything you want after hundreds of dollars spent. If you still disagree on me then you sound as dumb as the playerbase there :3

Marly
Aug 6, 2012, 02:23 PM
The OP forgot the part where people must play with their feet and have to run the game on a computer made no later than 2001.

Ryo
Aug 6, 2012, 03:41 PM
In PSO, "legit" meant you weren't hacking or duping or associating with people that did such things.

If we were to extend the definition to PSO2, it would simply mean you weren't hacking the game.

If PSO had player shops, I guarantee very few people would've claimed buying rares didn't make you "legit".

With how abysmal my chances of finding rares are, being able to buy them is one of the few things that keeps me interested after hitting lvl 40.

I grind for meseta, and if I find a rare along the way, great, but I'm mostly saving to afford those weapons I really want, since I never seem to find any good ones on my own.

When I do find a good rare, it's usually for rangers, and I'm no ranger.