PDA

View Full Version : How do stats convert into damage in this game?

Flame
Aug 4, 2012, 07:21 PM
I'm the kind of guy who really likes to know how these kinds of things work in games so that I can properly outfit myself. The way damage in this game works kind of has me bamboozled. Recently I bought a gunslash from the player shops that has almost 100 more Striking and Ranged on it compared to the one I was normally using. But when I tried it out, it did almost exactly the same damage as my old weapon. In fact sometimes less. Sure, at times it would do slightly greater damage but that was still rare. My question is, how the hell are your stats affecting your output? Shouldn't a weapon with 100 more points of striking do NOTICEABLY more damage?(hell in PSO having 20 more atp was a big freaking deal) This, coupled with how outrageously powerful some PAs are (launcher I'm looking at you) it starts to feel as if stats don't even matter. Hell, my range of damage is so broad it's crazy. With my assault rifle I can pepper enemies at about 25 damage a shot. But using the right PA with my launcher I've been able to do up to 750 damage!! what the heck??

Gardios
Aug 4, 2012, 07:24 PM
I don't think we know the damage formula yet, and it's difficult to figure it out since we lack enemy stats.

jooozek
Aug 5, 2012, 02:47 AM
I'm the kind of guy who really likes to know how these kinds of things work in games so that I can properly outfit myself. The way damage in this game works kind of has me bamboozled. Recently I bought a gunslash from the player shops that has almost 100 more Striking and Ranged on it compared to the one I was normally using. But when I tried it out, it did almost exactly the same damage as my old weapon. In fact sometimes less. Sure, at times it would do slightly greater damage but that was still rare. My question is, how the hell are your stats affecting your output? Shouldn't a weapon with 100 more points of striking do NOTICEABLY more damage?(hell in PSO having 20 more atp was a big freaking deal) This, coupled with how outrageously powerful some PAs are (launcher I'm looking at you) it starts to feel as if stats don't even matter. Hell, my range of damage is so broad it's crazy. With my assault rifle I can pepper enemies at about 25 damage a shot. But using the right PA with my launcher I've been able to do up to 750 damage!! what the heck??
Let me guess, your old gunslash was a rare (7-9*) while your new was one of the common ones (1-5*)? Rare have apparently a hidden ability multiplier (ability decreases the gap between the minimum and maximum damage you deal). And yeah, assault rifles outside of Sneak Shot and Weak Bullet are pretty damn shitty.

Lumpen Thingy
Aug 5, 2012, 02:49 AM
Let me guess, your old gunslash was a rare (7-9*) while your new was one of the common ones (1-5*)? Rare have apparently a hidden ability multiplier (ability decreases the gap between the minimum and maximum damage you deal). And yeah, assault rifles outside of Sneak Shot and Weak Bullet are pretty damn shitty.
that comment on rifles is a sad lie

jooozek
Aug 5, 2012, 03:04 AM
Moon landing is also a lie then.

pikachief
Aug 5, 2012, 10:12 AM

my sneak shot does pretty low damage on my rifle for some reason. both it and the shotgun shot are lvl 10 and the sneak shot does a lot less damage. I think the automatic PA does more all together too.

Coatl
Aug 5, 2012, 11:03 AM
If you are a ranger you don't need anything but divine launcher and weak bullet anyway..

Carillon
Aug 5, 2012, 11:06 AM
evidence seems to point to the damage formula looking something like this:

Max dmg:
(atk - target's def) *k *m *multipliersFromClassSkillsEtc(all multiplicative) *bodyLocationHitMultiplier
Min Dmg:
(atk - target's def - 2*MAX{(target's ability - your ability), 0}) *k etc etc

k being a constant for converting atk to actual damage. i believe it's somewhere in the range of 20~30%, but it's not easy to test percisely.

m being the multiplier for a particular attack. most PAs explicitly state their total multiplier. (note that rodeo drive's stated multiplier is for ONE hit. not the 5ish that you can actually get) (launcher attacks are prolly roughly 100%. rifles much lower.)

the 2 may not be entirely percise.

no, it's true. gunslahes absolutely curbstomp rifles for damage output.
stronger autoattacks, faster PP regain, and thrillsplode is an awesome PA.
(for which, of ranger PAs, only divine launcher and rodeo drive can really compete for power)

Macman
Aug 5, 2012, 01:33 PM
my sneak shot does pretty low damage on my rifle for some reason. both it and the shotgun shot are lvl 10 and the sneak shot does a lot less damage. I think the automatic PA does more all together too.

You must be doing something wrong, then, because Sneak Shot does the highest damage of anything I have when I manage to hit a weak point with it.

pikachief
Aug 5, 2012, 01:49 PM
You must be doing something wrong, then, because Sneak Shot does the highest damage of anything I have when I manage to hit a weak point with it.

my weakshot is doing like 400's for some reason on normal hits. I think it does around 1,000 when I hit a weakspot which is around the same as my shotgun PA.

Alenoir
Aug 5, 2012, 01:50 PM

You're not hitting a weak spot with Sneak Shooter, then. (Or it's not actually a weak spot.) Combined with WB, it will always be at least 1k damage (upward to 9999) if you're hitting the right place.