PDA

View Full Version : Chances of a PS3 port??

BrotherDarksoul
Aug 5, 2012, 02:17 PM
What you guys think? It's dropping on the Vita...would be kind of awesome if us console users got in on the action too! Also they should think about a port of PSO for XBLA and PSN, bring back the original online fun!

Anon_Fire
Aug 5, 2012, 02:18 PM
I'd rather not go over this AGAIN!!!

Rika-chan
Aug 5, 2012, 02:18 PM
Another one of these threads?

Anon_Fire
Aug 5, 2012, 02:19 PM
Another one of these threads?

I'm afraid so.

BrotherDarksoul
Aug 5, 2012, 02:21 PM
Sorry! My bad, I am new here!!

blace
Aug 5, 2012, 02:26 PM
There was a lot of flaming when it came to these topics, can't blame you for that, but Sega did state it'll only be on PC and Vita.

Reason why it's on Vita is that handheld gaming is really popular in Japan. A PS3 or 360 would seem highly unlikely, moreso with M$ charges.

LK1721
Aug 5, 2012, 02:26 PM
Sorry! My bad, I am new here!!

Essentially the consensus is "No" and the reaction you're getting from most users is due to a trillion "Console port" threads before the game released, so everyone is sick of hearing about it XD.

It has also been confirmed by SEGA that the PC, Smart Phone, and Vita are the only consoles the game is going to be released on.

BrotherDarksoul
Aug 5, 2012, 02:29 PM
Kinda figures they wouldn't, not that I am complaining though, I just might need to juice up my pc a bit though for its arrival!

BIG OLAF
Aug 5, 2012, 02:36 PM
Chance?

NONE.

Let's move on.

pikachief
Aug 5, 2012, 02:37 PM
Chances are higher for PS3 than any other platform. And chances for that is still 0.

The reason PSU was made for (and in the focus of) the PS2 was because that's what had the biggest potential to make the most money on because of the huge player base it has. (PS2's are still outselling 360's in Japan.)

PS3 is what 6 years old? Going on 7? Sony and Microsoft should be (hopefully!) moving on to their next gen consoles soon and putting a game with a 5+ year life-span on a game that has past what its time should've been is not a smart move.

Putting a 1.5-2 year old MMO on the PS4 is not a smart move either. Because of the nature of PSO2, PSVita is the only thing outside of PC where PSO2 will work.

It's not that they can't put it on another console, it's just not a smart move to put it on another console.

So no, 0% chance.

BrotherDarksoul
Aug 5, 2012, 02:44 PM
Lol thanks guys! And sorry again, I didn't realise there had been billions of posts on this (stupidly lol). I have no doubts that the game will be a massive success either way, its worth spending the cash upgrading the pc, even buying a new one lol

jooozek
Aug 5, 2012, 02:48 PM
Chances are, you wouldn't really need to get a new PC, just a better GPU - download the japanese version and try it out yourself.

pikachief
Aug 5, 2012, 03:00 PM
Lol thanks guys! And sorry again, I didn't realise there had been billions of posts on this (stupidly lol). I have no doubts that the game will be a massive success either way, its worth spending the cash upgrading the pc, even buying a new one lol

its fine. It's usually the first thing that you turn to when your PC can't handle the game, "What are the alternative ways to play this? Because I really want to!"

people just get annoyed that there's multiple threads of pretty much every topic now-a-days lol

And yea your PC might be able to handle it! My friend runs on max settings and he thought he couldnt run it at all! (exaggeration of course, he doesnt know much about PCs lol)

Ueno54
Aug 5, 2012, 03:10 PM
Kinda figures they wouldn't, not that I am complaining though, I just might need to juice up my pc a bit though for its arrival!

My PC is pretty damn old and plays it fine, so you shouldn't need to put too much into what I'm guessing is an average machine.

Deviruki
Aug 5, 2012, 03:15 PM
PC + PS3 Controller > Console.

ScottyMango
Aug 5, 2012, 03:45 PM

It pretty much already is a massive success, both from SEGA's point of view any my own.

The game came out July 4th... I've already put 170+ hours into it. I haven't spent this much time on a videogame since about 10 years ago.

G.A.M.E.R-X
Aug 5, 2012, 03:55 PM
Since nobodys posted this info yet.....

The PS3 and 360 versions that were in development were canceled when they game was still in alpha. So don't expect to ever see them, even if the game does well on its currently planned platforms. If only because Sega wont want to be bothered with all the hoops a developer must jump through on a closed platform with all the fees for releasing updates as well as the console maker wanting a cut of microtransaction sales.

0% chance on home consoles outside of the Vita release

Lumpen Thingy
Aug 5, 2012, 04:41 PM
use a PS3 controller for the game and get cables to hook your pc up to your tv.....there problem solved

BrotherDarksoul
Aug 5, 2012, 06:28 PM
Just downloading it now! PC is not too bad so hopefully it should work, at least the stats look reasonable for half decent performance!

Can't wait! It will prob end up swalling my life like PSO did!

Cheers guys!

Sizustar
Aug 5, 2012, 06:34 PM
Just downloading it now! PC is not too bad so hopefully it should work, at least the stats look reasonable for half decent performance!

Can't wait! It will prob end up swalling my life like PSO did!

Cheers guys!

You can download the character creator first, to benchmark your rig, and also to create a character too.

BrotherDarksoul
Aug 5, 2012, 06:53 PM
You can download the character creator first, to benchmark your rig, and also to create a character too.

Got that running too, thinking as its 1am maybe I will grab a power nap for a few hours! Cant wait to craft my first character, although I am already torn as to what class to go, most likely force me thinks ;)

Lyrah
Aug 5, 2012, 06:54 PM
you sure sound excited....

BrotherDarksoul
Aug 5, 2012, 06:56 PM
you sure sound excited....

Lol indeed, you have no idea how much I loved the original DC version of PSO! Real gaming that was!

Lyrah
Aug 5, 2012, 06:59 PM
Lol indeed, you have no idea how much I loved the original DC version of PSO! Real gaming that was!

Just make sure you don't rush through the lvls cuz right now end game is farming or afking in someones room lol

BrotherDarksoul
Aug 5, 2012, 07:04 PM
Just make sure you don't rush through the lvls cuz right now end game is farming or afking in someones room lol

Thanks for the heads up hehe, it will probably take me a wee bit to wrap my head around working it!

supersonix9
Aug 5, 2012, 07:30 PM
Who said that they wouldn't port the game later?

You think that developers of N64 games expected to see ports on the 3DS? We all know they didn't.

A port onto the next-generation consoles could be quite possible. They say it's only for PC and Vita, but you never know.

BIG OLAF
Aug 5, 2012, 07:32 PM
A port onto the next-generation consoles could be quite possible.

Right, but the thread title is "Chances of a PS3 Port", innit?

supersonix9
Aug 5, 2012, 07:33 PM
Right, but the thread title is "Chances of a PS3 Port", isn't it?

Maybe so, but I just wanted to put the thought out there.

Laxedrane
Aug 5, 2012, 07:45 PM
As much as I personally would love it to come out on consoles I agree with the census here that it won't. We won't see another possibility of it until the American servers are up and Sega thinking about what the next chunk of story going to be(Episode 2) Since the Japanese servers are going to be done by this Christmas already.

Unless sega really surprises me by showing they thought that far ahead and already have episode 2 or a bridging storyline to hold over until there next big content burst. Which I would totally have to tip my hat to them impressed.

Either way I just wish I could play the game in it's best graphics since right now my pc can only handle it on it's LOWEST setting and still chugs a little during code destruction or bosses with a lot of people around.

Finalzone
Aug 5, 2012, 11:14 PM
To reply to the topic: possibly because Playstation 3 uses a custom OpenGL on majority of games and Playstation Vita will not be different. Phantasy Star Online 2 was made to play on many PC (Microsoft Windows system to be exact that uses Direct3D) but can support OpenGL 3+ with the help from Nvidia and AMD. With the coming release for Android (which is in fact a Linux variant), SEGA will be foolish not to make Linux version available (they uses it inhouse), the structure is nearly identical for both Playstation Vita and Android, only differences are optimization for those systems.

Spellbinder
Aug 6, 2012, 12:37 AM
Who said that they wouldn't port the game later?

The producer.

Mystil
Aug 6, 2012, 07:59 AM
As powerful as the PS3 is.. it would not be able to handle this game.. It'd be no different from playing PSU on the PS2 and I'm one of many who vividly remembers that nightmare. I mean, I can see the PS3 crapping out when trying to enter a crowded block.

supersonix9
Aug 6, 2012, 08:26 AM
The producer.

Neither did Nintendo when Super Mario 64 came out.

And it's on.....how many consoles now?

gigawuts
Aug 6, 2012, 08:29 AM
Neither did Nintendo when Super Mario 64 came out.

And it's on.....how many consoles now?

They didn't emphatically say SM64 wouldn't be ported. It wasn't even discussed. At the time it wasn't even really a possibility. And, honestly, you can't compare a porting to a future console produced by the original game creators to putting PSO2 on a PS3 - or any console. What you're thinking of compares better to porting SM64 to PC's within a year of its release which I do believe did not happen.

That and, to the best of my knowledge, it has been stated emphatically that PSO2 won't be ported to consoles.

supersonix9
Aug 6, 2012, 08:37 AM
They didn't emphatically say SM64 wouldn't be ported. It wasn't even discussed. At the time it wasn't even really a possibility.And, honestly, you can't compare a porting to a future console produced by the original game creators to putting PSO2 on a PS3 - or any console. What you're thinking of compares better to porting SM64 to PC's within a year of its release which I do believe did not happen.

That and, to the best of my knowledge, it has been stated emphatically that PSO2 won't be ported to consoles.
I understand that, but that really only applies to consoles that we know about at this point in time.

Also, a better example that I could give you I guess would be Jet Set Radio. Yes it was originally put on its publisher's console, but it's appearing on Xbox, Vita, PS3, and PC (none of which were made by SEGA of course)

It is possible and it has happened. I don't care much whether or not it gets ported, but it's quite possible.

gigawuts
Aug 6, 2012, 08:44 AM
JSR doesn't count either, really. Nothing Sega's ported does. Here's a few reasons:
1. It's old, from their last console.
2. They're all HD re-releases.
3. None of them have online integration.
4. They've all long ago ceased production.
5. They were all best sellers in their time, and even now are considered some of the best games from the Dreamcast's lineup. This is why they've been chosen for re-releases.

Maronji
Aug 6, 2012, 09:07 AM
3. None of them have online integration.

Quoting for signal boost, as I think this is the main point we have to take note of when considering ports.

Now, FFXI and PSO1 aside, how many honest-to-goodness online PC games do you guys know of that received console ports? I assure you that it's not a whole lot. I'm probably exaggerating here, but I could probably count the number on two hands.

Laxedrane
Aug 6, 2012, 09:33 AM
Quoting for signal boost, as I think this is the main point we have to take note of when considering ports.

Now, FFXI and PSO1 aside, how many honest-to-goodness online PC games do you guys know of that received console ports? I assure you that it's not a whole lot. I'm probably exaggerating here, but I could probably count the number on two hands.

Yet it is quite fascinating how pso1 for dreamcast, gamecube, and x-box versions of the games lasted longer then any of their PC versions.(Bar jp PSOBB since I am unsure how long that lasted.)

And how PSU state side lasted longer on the xbox then it did PC.(Can't really count the Japanese run times since we all know 360 flat-lined there becuase it's a stale market. If It was on the ps3 as well it would of shown clearer results.)

If there's money to be made, it won't be the first time a producer ate their words for the sake of it.

One of the biggest things keeping pc games off consul is the amount of different commands they put on the Keyboard. Way more then a consul could handle which is why many games don't see a port. On top of which the pc market is quite different from the consul market in terms of preferred genres.

Neither of which is an issue for this game since all the battle commands can be done from a controller and all the key commands on the kb are just shortcuts to various parts of the menu. Also as mentioned before Phantasy Star has already shown a strong result in the consul market so that's not an issue either.

Also I like someone to explain how the ps3 couldn't handle this game. FFXIV is going to be on the ps3 which has, way better graphics, larger maps, and more content. The only thing pso2 has that's more taxing is their character creator. Other then that I don't see the issue there.

At the end of the day, again, I think we are long ways off of Sega even considering putting something on the consul. Someone pointed out that we are about to go into a new generation of consuls and I think that's a more solid explanation as to why Sega won't touch the consul for awhile. Either way at the end of the day we just have the producer word for it, which is no.

PS. I love this game, I haven't touched 14 I was just using it was illustration to another mmo that's seeing a consul port which requires a lot more compatibility then PSO2.

gigawuts
Aug 6, 2012, 09:43 AM
I was waiting for that to be brought up, even had a bit about it in the list, but since it wasn't about the re-releases I just removed it.

The PSO ports are not the same as potential PSO2 ports for a whole slew of reasons. First and most obvious, they never stated that there would be no ports of PSO1. PSO was a tremendous game for its time and there was no real competition for it - it was the first console game of its kind. It was very open-ended and created with ports in mind as well. Most of those versions were separated as well, which will not be the case here. Xbox 360 servers will be closed from any other clients, pc ps3 etc. They also didn't create PSO with previous experience in the genre, the fact that this game has come after so many ports and they're still saying that they won't be porting it - not that they have no plans, but that they won't - is pretty telling.

And, for the record, I'm pretty certain PSU was more of a console game ported to PC than v.v.

I'd like it if PSO2 hit consoles, but I really can't imagine it happening until the next generation. The game is poorly optimized as it is, for fuck's sake we don't even have LOD models.

Can they go back on their words? Obviously. I'd like to know if there's one single game company that's never broken a promise. I don't find it likely in this case, though.

The Walrus
Aug 6, 2012, 09:46 AM
Man, we all need to accept that console peasants don't deserve Swag Star Online 2 and leave it at that.

supersonix9
Aug 6, 2012, 09:58 AM
I would agree, but PSO2 deserves publicity.

Anon_Fire
Aug 6, 2012, 10:11 AM
You see, this is what I was afraid of this thread turning into another argument.

EvilMag
Aug 6, 2012, 10:21 AM
What they need to do is port PSO2 to the Game Boy with Super Game Boy enhancements. Kids would buy that, right?

DC_PLAYER
Aug 6, 2012, 10:39 AM
just correcting something here

As powerful as the PS3 is.. it would not be able to handle this game
Graphic settings are adjustable beyond your compreension, PSO2 doesn't demand that much really, a PS3 would be far beyond recomended settings if the graphic settings aren't that high.

By high i mean to a point where even PSO BB wouldn't run on the PS3, i am not really sure what you consider high settings, but trust me, any recent game pushed to the limit woudln't run even on the latest sony console.

However, most of these demands comes from the textures, but at a general level you made a point by stating that the increase poligons in an area would demand more then the PS3 can handle.

If anything, the game engine is what matters, graphical settings and poligon count can be adjusted to make the game run in several platforms.
Sega has done it already to make the game accessible.

In other words, PS3 can run the game fine if we take normal graphical settings configurations

obviously the game will not be released on ps3, but the console can handle it.

Chibi_psu
Aug 6, 2012, 10:42 AM
You cant be serious lol. Should i remember you that the game is gonna have a vita version? A ps3 version would work pretty good too.The ps3 can handle patchs and dlc too so it wouldnt have the same problems as psu 360

BrotherDarksoul
Aug 6, 2012, 10:46 AM
Some pretty interesting arguments here and to be fair as a console and pc gamer I would say to get the maximum out of this game (in particular) it's probably best to have it on the PC, its just my lazy side that was tempted by the convenience of having it on console.

Also having read back here it's pretty obvious that its not gonna be ported anytime soon and if by some miracle they did it would probably be best on a next gen model if any, the counter argument to that is nobody knows exactly when said consoles will be released meaning the time frame will probably be too wide. On the other hand the game might tear up the charts and make gazillions of cash for them to justify a future port, but for now I am sticking to the good old desktop!

gigawuts
Aug 6, 2012, 10:53 AM
You see, this is what I was afraid of this thread turning into another argument.

Is this what passes as an argument now? This is probably the most civil discussion I've seen on this topic to date.

Mystil
Aug 6, 2012, 10:55 AM
just correcting something here

Graphic settings are adjustable beyond your compreension,

I wasn't entirely thinking about graphics.

But whatever they're reasons are for not having it on PS3 is probably inexcusable stupid ones.

The Walrus
Aug 6, 2012, 10:58 AM
Cause PC 4 life

Shadowth117
Aug 6, 2012, 12:34 PM
Cause PC 4 life

Oh I know right? Why, it would be cataclysmic if someone played this amazing game on something so ridiculous as one of those... game consoles. Just the thought of it makes me sick. What with their lack of keyboards and mouses and customization. Screw people, how dare they be allowed to play a game the way they want to!

...is it really that bad to just allow people to play how they want. Assuming there's no restrictions on content, overall delays, or anything of that nature than why is it a problem to allow people to play like that? And if it was on the PS3, there's no reason any of that would happen. Quite honestly, I don't see it happening however I do think its very likely for this game to come out on the next generation PS and maybe Xbox just because they're going so far as to put it on the Vita. It would be odd for that not to have a console equivalent in this case.

pikachief
Aug 6, 2012, 01:31 PM
What they need to do is port PSO2 to the Game Boy with Super Game Boy enhancements. Kids would buy that, right?

only if it eventually comes out on this! :D

http://gamecenter.grantgalitz.org/index#PokemonYellow

dooby613
Aug 6, 2012, 04:35 PM
The vita has more advanced and robust online features than ps3 and IMO the graphics are not that big of an issue, it is just format etc that really hold back ps3. IMO PSO2 has some very mediocre graphics and just like all games now days can be down scaled to fit on other formats.

With that said I wouldn't expect it for PS3 because PS4 would probably be the preferred system, but only time will tell. TBH the Vita version was a bit of a surprise to most of us.

On another note: am I the only one who wants the PC version to support DX11? It would look much nicer with some tessellation.

The Walrus
Aug 6, 2012, 05:09 PM
DX11 and AA would be nice.

Vita version is still a terrible idea since the Vita is not doing all that well.