PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 Which options are the hardest for the computer?

sugarFO
Aug 6, 2012, 10:15 AM
I'm currently on a laptop with an AMD Radeon HD 6650M display thingy (going off dxdiag lol) and I'm playing PSO2 at setting 2 with shaders on.

My question is, which of these options are okay to leave on, and which ones are much too draining? Or is there a difference at all? With everything on it slows down my gameplay a bit. But keeping one or two nice things would be feasible.

From bumped:

Draw Settings
エフェクト光源設定 Light Effect Settings
地形光源 Light Terrain Settings
ブルーム処理 Bloom
被写界深度 Depth of Field
ブラー Blur
ライトシャフト Light Shaft
アンチエイリアシング Anti-Aliasing

I'm not worrying about textures or shadows because I'm satisfied with them. I'm thinking anti-alias would be good for screenshots so the models aren't so jagged? But does anti-alias and the light shaft take a lot out of a graphics card? Can cross off depth of field and blur.... but what do Light Effects, Light Terrain, and Bloom do, and do they impact the "prettiness" of the graphics much?

Sorry if this is a confusing question. Basically are anti-alias and light shaft pretty extras that are hard on the computer? Thanks!

Ana-Chan
Aug 6, 2012, 11:04 AM
On a HD 6770, I have it set to

On
Off
Off
On
Off
On
On
Off

But please note, on a desktop 6770 I can get it to max without problems. I just have it set this way since I dislike some of the effects.

The more you have set to on, the harder it is for the graphics adaptor, like I have bloom set to off because I dislike how it looks. I would say any of the light stuff and bloom are pretty extras. Anti aliasing helps smooth on screen textures and it can be heavy work for the graphics adaptor, but it can make things look smoother.

To be honest though, I would suggest you just experiment. You can't really break anything with those settings, so just write down what they were set at originally and just see how each setting changes things.

Kanivakil
Aug 6, 2012, 11:09 AM
I'm new with computers. Can I put everything on Max on the HD 7770?

Sizustar
Aug 6, 2012, 11:11 AM
I'm new with computers. Can I put everything on Max on the HD 7770?

Depends also on your CPU, RAM, etc.
And whether you use third party program to force AA and other effect as the games choice is rather limiting.

Neirene
Aug 6, 2012, 11:11 AM
I have a radeon 6570 which is very similar to the 6550 and I play the game at the highest quality as possible (slider 5) but only at 1280x720!

If you wish to play at a higher resolution with this similar specs I would recommend disable antialiasing for an extra boost, i dont recommend disabling the shaders by disabling AA your computer should be able to run the game just fine !

Kanivakil
Aug 6, 2012, 11:12 AM
Depends also on your CPU, RAM, etc.
And whether you use third party program to force AA and other effect as the games choice is rather limiting.

I have an i3-2120, 8GB of RAM and my monitor is 1080p.

Ana-Chan
Aug 6, 2012, 11:20 AM
I have a radeon 6570 which is very similar to the 6550 and I play the game at the highest quality as possible (slider 5) but only at 1280x720!

If you wish to play at a higher resolution with this similar specs I would recommend disable antialiasing for an extra boost, i dont recommend disabling the shaders by disabling AA your computer should be able to run the game just fine !

The OP did mention that it is a 6550M, which I asumed meant a mobility Radeon. This means it is a notebook version of the Radeon chipset. These are often a bit weaker than the desktop counterparts. So what you may get on a desktop 6570 is possible to be far from what a notebook 6550 may get.

I have an i3-2120, 8GB of RAM and my monitor is 1080p.

For desktop systems, the graphics is normally the bottle neck. So with a 7770 you probably wouldn't have that many problems getting the higher settings. The problems may start kicking in if you try to get the game up to 1080 though. This is because as you increase the resolution, the amount of pixels that the graphics adaptor needs to work on increases dramatically, so you then can get to a stage where the CPU may start actually having an effect.

Neirene
Aug 6, 2012, 11:30 AM
The OP did mention that it is a 6550M, which I asumed meant a mobility Radeon. This means it is a notebook version of the Radeon chipset. These are often a bit weaker than the desktop counterparts. So what you may get on a desktop 6570 is possible to be far from what a notebook 6550 may get.

For desktop systems, the graphics is normally the bottle neck. So with a 7770 you probably wouldn't have that many problems getting the higher settings. The problems may start kicking in if you try to get the game up to 1080 though. This is because as you increase the resolution, the amount of pixels that the graphics adaptor needs to work on increases dramatically, so you then can get to a stage where the CPU may start actually having an effect.

Even so should be still more than enough to run PSO2 on the higest setting the diference is not so much for both chipsets i already confirmed it.

Dinosaur
Aug 6, 2012, 11:46 AM
My question is, which of these options are okay to leave on, and which ones are much too draining? Or is there a difference at all? With everything on it slows down my gameplay a bit. But keeping one or two nice things would be feasible.

Shaders On is by far the most demanding graphic setting. In comparison with Shaders Off, the game looks like PSOBB.

Ana-Chan
Aug 6, 2012, 12:00 PM
Even so should be still more than enough to run PSO2 on the higest setting the diference is not so much for both chipsets i already confirmed it.

In general, notebooks are optimised for power savings over performance. There is a major difference because of that. For a start, the desktop 6570 can do 624 GigaFLOPS where the 6500M series can do a maximum of 520 GigaFLOPS. that is a pretty sharp decrease in possible floating point calculations. The GDDR5 data rate and bandwidth is lower too.
Finally, the mobility Radeon has less in it. The 6500M series has 400 stream processing units and 20 texture units. The desktop 6570 has 480 stream processing units and 24 texture units. What this means is that the 6500M series just can't physically do as many calculations per second compared to the desktop 6570.
So given all this, I would find it hard to believe that the mobility 6550 could handle PSO2 as well as a desktop 6570 at maximum settings.

Omisan
Aug 6, 2012, 12:24 PM
Can someone help me out with a similar question. Ive got a new ivy bridge i7. But only integrated HD graphics.

What do i change to keep performance up at the cost of graphics.
Is lowering the shader the only thing?

Kanivakil
Aug 6, 2012, 12:27 PM

Everything seems to run great with everything thing maxed out. The only thing I noticed with slowdowns in a lobby that is full of players or when I'm breaking rock in "Forrest."

IzzyData
Aug 6, 2012, 01:14 PM
Anti Aliasing is the most intensive, but also one of the most essential to looking good.

Omisan
Aug 6, 2012, 01:17 PM
does it tax the cpu or the graphics?

IzzyData
Aug 6, 2012, 01:23 PM
Definitely the graphics card. You eliminate a huge portion of work by turning it off, but jagged edges are kind of ugly.

FerrPSO
Aug 6, 2012, 01:25 PM
I was taking a look the other day and the game only relies heavy on the CPU the moment it renders other players in the lobby (thats why it can make a short framerate drops when people is appearing).

Other than that the game just relies on the GPU. My Phenom II x4 955 is barely used in normal gameplay, and all the work goes for my GFX card (even reaching 99% of usage sometimes, giving me some fps drops). Im talking in 1080p res. My card is a GTX 460 1GB OC.

Ana-Chan
Aug 6, 2012, 02:07 PM
I was taking a look the other day and the game only relies heavy on the CPU the moment it renders other players in the lobby (thats why it can make a short framerate drops when people is appearing).

Yes, this occurs because it has to communicate with the server to get information about the other players from the server. So it is understandable that it doesn't use the GPU at that point.