PDA

View Full Version : Marathon Mode

Sephirah
Aug 7, 2012, 09:20 AM
I absolutely loved PSO Ep.I&II, and PSO2 has not disappointed me at all.

The only thing I miss about the original PSO that PSO2 does not have, is being able to join a game, start at Forest 1, and once you reach the end, you started caves, and could play through the entire campaign in 1 long run.

Anybody else think some type of marathon mode should be added?

kkow
Aug 7, 2012, 09:48 AM
didnt play the original but all the maps do have that cave you cant enter for now...

Polly
Aug 7, 2012, 09:49 AM
didnt play the original but all the maps do have that cave you cant enter for now...

You mean the entrance for other parties in multi-party areas?

kkow
Aug 7, 2012, 09:53 AM
lol ignore me then

Sephirah
Aug 7, 2012, 09:58 AM
Sorry if I didn't explain well enough in my original post, in the original, once you reached the end of a "level" you could proceed to the next level, without having to go back to the ship and restart. So if they had something like this in PSO2, imagine being able to start in forest 1, then once you beat the boss in forest 3 you could enter caves 1, then after the dragon in caves 3 you could enter desert 1, etc etc. All in one nice playthrough.

jooozek
Aug 7, 2012, 09:59 AM
That doesn't make too much sense considering forest is on Naueberius and caves on Amduscia.

Sephirah
Aug 7, 2012, 10:04 AM
Because teleportation doesn't work that way... right, lol.

jooozek
Aug 7, 2012, 10:06 AM

In which part of the game you saw teleportation used to directly travel from one planet to another?

Sephirah
Aug 7, 2012, 10:07 AM
In which part of the game you saw teleportation used to directly travel from one planet to another?

So because you didn't see it in a cutscene it's not possible? Even though it's not spelled right, FANTASY is in the name of the game lol.

Ezodagrom
Aug 7, 2012, 10:08 AM
Sorry if I didn't explain well enough in my original post, in the original, once you reached the end of a "level" you could proceed to the next level, without having to go back to the ship and restart. So if they had something like this in PSO2, imagine being able to start in forest 1, then once you beat the boss in forest 3 you could enter caves 1, then after the dragon in caves 3 you could enter desert 1, etc etc. All in one nice playthrough.
While doing exactly that is not possible, you can do the next best thing, if you're lvl 35 or higher and have unlocked the mines free field already, you could start a party with lvl 35 as the minimum required lvl and do all the free fields in a row (forest -> volcanic caves -> desert -> frozen tundra -> subterranean mines).
About having to return to the camp ship between each area, well, it's not like you wouldn't need to return there eventually to sell items and restock.

RocSage
Aug 7, 2012, 10:08 AM

There is no teleportation in PSO2. They have something more akin to Galaxy Quest's transportation method. When you jump through the pool you are covered by a material that protects you from the heat of planetary entry and the kersplah of landing at high velocity. No idea how you get back up, but I assume Telepipes use some sort of similar system in reverse or are just beacons for the ship to pick you up.

Sephirah
Aug 7, 2012, 10:10 AM
There is no teleportation in PSO2. They have something more akin to Galaxy Quest's transportation method. When you jump through the pool you are covered by a material that protects you from the heat of planetary entry and the kersplah of landing at high velocity. No idea how you get back up, but I assume Telepipes use some sort of similar system in reverse or are just beacons for the ship to pick you up.

Using telepipes is teleporting, it has Tele in the name. :P

Lol I really wasn't expecting this to become a thread about if the lore supports this or not lol, just was something you could do in the original that would be nice in the 2nd. :P

Alenoir
Aug 7, 2012, 10:13 AM
Maybe after a good half/all the fields are released.

In the mean time, you can always just roll around in Time Attack.

Spellbinder
Aug 7, 2012, 10:14 AM
Maybe my memory is bad, but unless you were doing the Towards the Future quest, there was no way to go directly from a boss to the next area in PSO like you're making it out to be in the original post.

That, or I've misread something from not sleeping for 2 days @-@ going for my 3rd day in a row.

jooozek
Aug 7, 2012, 10:15 AM
So because you didn't see it in a cutscene it's not possible?
Obviously not considering how much we descend with the campship to be able to teleport from the campship to the planet itself...

Sephirah
Aug 7, 2012, 10:18 AM
Maybe my memory is bad, but unless you were doing the Towards the Future quest, there was no way to go directly from a boss to the next area in PSO like you're making it out to be in the original post.

That, or I've misread something from not sleeping for 2 days @-@ going for my 3rd day in a row.

You're absolutely right Spellbinder, totally forgot that you had to initiate that quest.

UnLucky
Aug 7, 2012, 10:20 AM
This is part of the reason some of my friends quit.

Having to grind to unlock the next area.

You cleared every mission, but oops, you're several levels shy of continuing. Then again after you redid all the crappy areas but on hard mode. Then you get another handful of maps you already played for another five. It's like 12 straight levels with zero new content.

Yeah it would be nice to go straight through to the next stage, continuous or not. Put the space travel cutscene between planets and there's no issues, right?

Porkmaster
Aug 7, 2012, 10:23 AM

In the original PSO, you could make a new game with a level 1 character, go to Forest 1 and clear it, moving on to Forest 2. At the end of Forest 2 is the boss, as I'm sure everyone already knows. If you can kill it, then Caves 1 is unlocked automatically. There are no level requirements or quests needed to unlock any area in the original PSO, the only level requirements that were in place were for the harder difficulties, which is understandable. The only thing you had to do was beat the boss in one area to unlock the next. That's not present in PSO 2, there are level requirements and quests needed to unlock more areas, which is definitely a downside to me, personally.

I agree with the OP 100% and went pretty in-depth about this very subject in another thread a month or two ago.

Alenoir
Aug 7, 2012, 10:27 AM
You cleared every mission, but oops, you're several levels shy of continuing. Then again after you redid all the crappy areas but on hard mode. Then you get another handful of maps you already played for another five. It's like 12 straight levels with zero new content.

Someone mentioned about tudra normal should've happened after desert, so the Lv20 ~ 25 would've been tudra normal? It sounds logical, seeing how matterboard 3 is basically tudra.

Who knows why they totally messes that part of the game up. =\

gigawuts
Aug 7, 2012, 10:32 AM

Explain getting from shop area to gate area, different lobbies, my room, the teleporter from the camp ship back to the gate area, teleporters that teleport you into enclosed areas with boxes, and boss teleporters. :P

In the original PSO, you could make a new game with a level 1 character, go to Forest 1 and clear it, moving on to Forest 2. At the end of Forest 2 is the boss, as I'm sure everyone already knows. If you can kill it, then Caves 1 is unlocked automatically. There are no level requirements or quests needed to unlock any area in the original PSO, the only level requirements that were in place were for the harder difficulties, which is understandable. The only thing you had to do was beat the boss in one area to unlock the next. That's not present in PSO 2, there are level requirements and quests needed to unlock more areas, which is definitely a downside to me, personally.

I agree with the OP 100% and went pretty in-depth about this very subject in another thread a month or two ago.

You had to talk to the principal to get clearance for caves 1 in every version of PSO I've played, but if you'd already done that for each new area yes you could smoothly go through every area. I liked it, it was fun.

Or, if you were online, you didn't even have to unlock a new area - it was accessible straight away.

Spellbinder
Aug 7, 2012, 10:35 AM

I wasn't questioning that levels were unlocked upon defeating a boss. Just the notion that as soon as the dragon is dead you can drop down into the caves without going back to town.

RocSage
Aug 7, 2012, 10:56 AM
Explain getting from shop area to gate area, different lobbies, my room, the teleporter from the camp ship back to the gate area, teleporters that teleport you into enclosed areas with boxes, and boss teleporters. :P

those are elevators and you can see the structure of the elevators in the shop lobby.

Arika
Aug 7, 2012, 11:03 AM
-Story wise-
Well you shouldn't argue with RocSage, since he is one of the person who made all the Story translation possible. But anyway, logically, even thought there is a prove to say that there is teleportation. There is a huge gap between short distant teleport and long distant teleport . If they could teleport you from city to any planet, then they wouldn't need that camp ship at all. and you wouldn't need to abort the mission when you want to go to grinder shop on the city. (the reason why the game must ask you to abort mission is because the lore says that if you return to the city, you also asked your camp ship to move back to city with you too!)

-Game play wise-
It is possible that they will make kind of mission that jump you between planets to planets in the future. Dev will do whatever they want. They could invent anything into the lore either make it a simulator as PSU MAG event, or make it so that a new long distant teleport method as been discovered.

gigawuts
Aug 7, 2012, 11:08 AM
those are elevators and you can see the structure of the elevators in the shop lobby.

Okay, and the other things? :P Like the boss teleporter that is named テレポーター?

G.A.M.E.R-X
Aug 7, 2012, 11:08 AM
PSO took place on one Planet, and you were sent to explore it and uncover the cause of what caused the colony to vanish. Hence you kept going deeper. It was all one mission.

In PSO2 you are a member of ARKS, and just a soldier. ARKS is mission and sortie based, across multiple planets. Hence the way content is delivered to the player. The plot has nothing about darkers having magical teleporters to link all the planets, so no, this is not something that would or should exist.

If you want the PSO experience, unlock the areas (just like you had to in PSO, talking to the principle and such, in this game to talk to koffee instead) then stay in the campship and run each free area in order. The only difference is that you select the area via the mission selection in the drop ship, instead of making that selection at the dropship pool/teleporter.

PSO was PSO, PSO2 is PSO2. They flow differently because they have different plots and settings. Get over it.

They'll rehash PSO1s content eventually in 'VR missions' anyway. They seem to love doing that.

Sephirah
Aug 7, 2012, 11:24 AM
-Game play wise-
It is possible that they will make kind of mission that jump you between planets to planets in the future. Dev will do whatever they want. They could invent anything into the lore either make it a simulator as PSU MAG event, or make it so that a new long distant teleport method as been discovered.

This.

gigawuts
Aug 7, 2012, 11:26 AM
I will always stand by the assertion that story is secondary to gameplay. Fun and playability always comes before lore. The lore is molded around a functioning game.

You could say short range teleportation is different from long range teleportation, but you could also say they're exactly the same and after some teleporting scandal there were regulations placed on how far you could legally teleport. It's all secondary to gameplay.

Laxedrane
Aug 7, 2012, 11:43 AM
-Game play wise-

Or just make it a VR field just like almost every multi-area quest in pso(Including Towards the Future) and a massive amount of the later event missions in PSU that dealt with going to multiple areas.

RocSage
Aug 7, 2012, 12:00 PM
-Story wise-
Well you shouldn't argue with RocSage, since he is one of the person who made all the Story translation possible.

Actually, this is just observation as there is nothing much known about their tech yet from dialogue from what Kion has translated.

We see the gateway drive to the planets
We see the transport down to the ground via the intro vid

We haven't seen wide scale teleportation. At best we have temp teleportation that is only used from planet to drop ship. The telepipe at the boss can be argued to be simply mechanical and not lore based.

We can say it isn't in wide scale use in ships simply because we see the elevators and their pipes. We know for example that the Arks Lobby is at the top of the habitat bubble and the Shop Lobby is beneath it, both being in the center of the bubble. The "My Home" stuff's position can also be relatively positioned and if someone wanted to they could do a rough estimate of the size of the ships based on all this data.

Kanore
Aug 7, 2012, 01:18 PM
there's probably gonna be a lot more stages than PSO Ep 1's 4 stages in this game

Dinosaur
Aug 7, 2012, 01:26 PM
The only thing I miss about the original PSO that PSO2 does not have, is being able to join a game, start at Forest 1, and once you reach the end, you started caves, and could play through the entire campaign in 1 long run.

I feel the same way about this. Mission based gameplay is by far the worst thing holding this game back. It was such a nightmare when introduced in PSU and I have no clue why they brought it back again(in a game called PSO for crying out loud).

The beauty about PSO1's gameflow was that there was always a main goal to look toward: Defeat the final boss. With the mission system, you aren't trying doing what the mission says half the time but only using the area to farm. We might as well rename the game to Phantasy Farm Online.

kkow
Aug 7, 2012, 01:34 PM
i love being able to hop into any mission area i want, and they are bite sized if you want them to be. once they add more variety of bosses, maps, and higher difficulty levels, it'll all balance out i'm sure

Sephirah
Aug 7, 2012, 01:59 PM
I feel the same way about this. Mission based gameplay is by far the worst thing holding this game back. It was such a nightmare when introduced in PSU and I have no clue why they brought it back again(in a game called PSO for crying out loud).

The beauty about PSO1's game flow was that there was always a main goal to look toward: Defeat the final boss. With the mission system, you aren't trying doing what the mission says half the time but only using the area to farm. We might as well rename the game to Phantasy Farm Online.

I didn't mean to say I dislike the mission system, I rather like it infact. I enjoyed the story aspect of them in PSO1, and I'm sure a lot of it is lost on us until the quest dialogue is translated.

I was just saying I wish there was some option to have the old flow back, in addition to the current mission system.

Macman
Aug 7, 2012, 05:22 PM
Sorry if I didn't explain well enough in my original post, in the original, once you reached the end of a "level" you could proceed to the next level, without having to go back to the ship and restart.
But... you had to go back to Pioneer 2 in order to pick the next area... What are you really complaining about? You do free forest, pick free caves while still in the campship after beating up some rockbears and carry on from there. :-?

Yunfa
Aug 7, 2012, 06:08 PM
OP just wants something that isn't obtainable; OP fails to realize if one were to freely venture each mission without doing certain quests beforehand, the marketplace would so broken right now.

ScottyMango
Aug 7, 2012, 06:16 PM
People saying there's no teleporting in Phantasy Star....

wat