PDA

View Full Version : Event weapons, why not event PA's?

Cortte
Aug 11, 2012, 10:56 AM
We understand that while weapons like Soul Eater and Space tuna allow all classes to hold their glory, it will be likely to get dull after so long without a skill to use it with. What would you guys think of SEGA releasing at least one PA for an event weapon that all classes can partake in? For example if something like Agito came out and was a universal class weapon it could have all of its standard skills, but have one skill that all could use. Something like a draw stance where they hunch slightly and grab their blade, then flash forward and strike an enemy once for high damage.

Or is it just a bad idea?

gigawuts
Aug 11, 2012, 11:06 AM
I like it. The gunslash kind of does this, but I'd like to see something like this too. The bouquet rifle with the shotgun PA on all classes or something like that would be a bunch of fun.

TDoun LMekko
Aug 11, 2012, 11:07 AM
That sounds kinda cool, but could run in to balance issues and take time from making PAs for all of a weapon type.

Would be cool though to have like the Mic Stand let me actually sing to damage enemies. ^_^ Karaoke of DOOOOOM!

Laxedrane
Aug 11, 2012, 11:15 AM
That sounds kinda cool, but could run in to balance issues and take time from making PAs for all of a weapon type.

Would be cool though to have like the Mic Stand let me actually sing to damage enemies. ^_^ Karaoke of DOOOOOM!

One of the things I really hope they do which really help add a unique layer to phantasy star online weapons is unique photon arts(Aka special from that game.) Lavis cannon lost a lot of it's allure(Besides looking completely badass) When it lost it's energy balls. Tj sword wouldn't feel the same without it's Super aura. Heaven punisher, dark flow, dark metoer, or that katana that shot a slicing wave of energy. All loose their uniqueness if they are just re-released for their model without their special effect.

Zyrusticae
Aug 11, 2012, 11:24 AM
Eh.

I don't know about this. Limited-issue joke weapons, I am okay with. Limited-issue badass weapons or cool PAs? That just seems a bit more like a jerk-ish thing to do for anyone who misses out on the events. I know I'd be pretty pissed if a badass PA came out and I completely missed the window of opportunity for getting it...

erehwoN
Aug 11, 2012, 11:24 AM

Event PA made specially to kill singing rappies.
How it will look like... Song duel! (Players will do the same animation as the singing rappies)

Can only be unlocked on Rappture Day!

GoldenFalcon
Aug 11, 2012, 11:31 AM
No

Guys, if you want some Gravity Break PA on your Agito Repca, just suggest that it is default in the 3 PA slots (for all classes) but Hunter can replace them, and undo like replacing Rod attack with a spell

/thread?

Sephirah
Aug 11, 2012, 11:38 AM
Eh.

I don't know about this. Limited-issue joke weapons, I am okay with. Limited-issue badass weapons or cool PAs? That just seems a bit more like a jerk-ish thing to do for anyone who misses out on the events. I know I'd be pretty pissed if a badass PA came out and I completely missed the window of opportunity for getting it...

Thems the breaks when dealing with limited time events.

If you missed out, you weren't playing and can't complain. If you were playing and still don't manage to get one, well, if every item released was intended to be obtained by every player, they are no longer something of merit. Not everyone is special, if they were, special would cease to be special, and become normal. Life isn't fair, let people have incredibly rare things that are eventually unobtainable, thus adding to their rareness.

Zyrusticae
Aug 11, 2012, 11:42 AM
That makes absolutely no sense at all.

RNG making people "special" is not special at all - it's just randomness. Also incredibly lazy. Also fuck that, that outright pisses me off that anyone could conceivably think such a crappy, horrible method of differentiation to be a positive thing.

I can only hope the other outfits - Tiger Pierce, Echo's thing, so on and so forth - reappear in future scratches, too, or newer players will never get their hands on one. How is that not bullshit? Seriously.

gigawuts
Aug 11, 2012, 11:49 AM
I don't think it should be limited, I just think some PA's should be able to be used by all classes.

Or, more specifically, they shouldn't be class-restricted.

Laxedrane
Aug 11, 2012, 11:49 AM
That makes absolutely no sense at all.

RNG making people "special" is not special at all - it's just randomness. Also incredibly lazy. Also fuck that, that outright pisses me off that anyone could conceivably think such a crappy, horrible method of differentiation to be a positive thing.

I can only hope the other outfits - Tiger Pierce, Echo's thing, so on and so forth - reappear in future scratches, too, or newer players will never get their hands on one. How is that not bullshit? Seriously.

Sorry I slightly de-railed this one. I meant I like to see exclusive PAs to weapons becuase of that. And if they did that I see no problem doing some silly even PAs exclusively for joke weapons.

Unless they start having events like they did in psu(Which are like perma emergency quests for a month) I doubt high end weapons like I mentioned would be available for only a short time.

FYI if the scratches follow PSU they will cycle back through with new stuff added with the old stuff when that cycle comes through again.

Sephirah
Aug 11, 2012, 11:56 AM
Sorry I slightly de-railed this one. I meant I like to see exclusive PAs to weapons becuase of that. And if they did that I see no problem doing some silly even PAs exclusively for joke weapons.

Unless they start having events like they did in psu(Which are like perma emergency quests for a month) I doubt high end weapons like I mentioned would be available for only a short time.

FYI if the scratches follow PSU they will cycle back through with new stuff added with the old stuff when that cycle comes through again.

I also didn't mean to give the impression that these types of weapons would be "best" or "end-game" but items only available for a limited time have been around since the first shop that ever opened. It's an incentive for people to keep coming back so they don't miss out on a new sale (or in this case drop). While these limited time items may be "jokes" or purely cosmetic, they should still exist, and people that think otherwise are just bitter because they think everyone should be able to get everything.

gigawuts
Aug 11, 2012, 11:58 AM
Erm, yeah, no, not wanting things to be entirely limited does not automatically make a person bitter.

Garnet_Moon
Aug 11, 2012, 12:19 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if event-related items changed your emotes or dances?

Like, the lobby dance where you're singing into your hand. Why not, if you have the micstand equipped, you sing into THAT? Dancing with Crazy Tune? play that guitar~.

I can dream, can't I?

Galax
Aug 11, 2012, 12:28 PM
Erm, yeah, no, not wanting things to be entirely limited does not automatically make a person bitter.

I missed the part where it was entirely limited. You can still get weapons, just sorry you might not be able to get specific one. I see the points to both sides of it, though - It sucks when you miss it, and it's actually not always just because you weren't playing. If you knew they were releasing an item, and you really want it, you'll login and play to get it if you can. But sometimes something's in the way of you getting on - Computer broke, 360 got the red ring of death, your PS2 disc is scratched, you were moving, switching internet providers....There are loads of reasons that can crop up and stop you from getting exclusive items, which if you aren't bitter about forcibly missing out on an item you want, I'd be surprised.

However, the idea of exclusive items being available at a certain price or available at all for a limited time HAS been around since forever - it's a sales pitch that has been proven effective. SEGA would be even more retarded than they sometimes seem if they didn't include limited-time offers in the game, and while it seems jerkish to make them available once, and only once, what happens if it's available twice, but by the time the second release comes around, you no longer play or are forced to miss out again? I know I'd be upset about being twice unlucky on the same item, one that I still want.

And yet it is a game. You're missing out on a virtual item that will probably provide you with a week or two of entertainment, then you shelve it in your bank because it's not fun anymore or everyone is tired of seeing it when you have a weapon that isn't a joke.

Also, at the comment about powerful items being exclusive, those are the BEST items if it's a sales pitch - Which would you be more likely to come back for, a rifle with 15 attack at no grinds that shoots carrots, or an eight star rifle with 320 attack at no grinds that comes with Lucky Rise II? It's an exclusive item, it sounds kinda broken, and I know if I possibly could I'd come back and snag one. Even if I can't use it yet, I'd snag one.

SaiKo
Aug 11, 2012, 02:37 PM
I don't agree with the idea of time-limiting (or CS-limiting) anything, honestly... Seasonal, sure, but it had better be back every year... That said though, I would like to see 'exclusive' PAs for certain items be implemented. Just not for time-limited items...

While the ship has sailed on standard "rares" (read: Commons with a fancy skin), they could still make 12-15 star weapons into a proper type of rare and give them exclusive PA's a la PSO's special weapons. If you bring back the Bringer's Rifle, give it a Demon's PA, if you make a gravity-sabre weapon, give it an AOE knockdown PA, etc.

Basically, I'd like to see these type of weapon-exclusive abilities become a regular part of the game rather than something isolated only to events and such.

Galax
Aug 11, 2012, 03:02 PM
@Saiko, I agree with that. I really do. But some weapons should be exclusive to events - not necessarily ALL weapons like that, but some - if only to bring people in and back to the game when interest lulls.

Geistritter
Aug 11, 2012, 03:21 PM
No way. Content that could potentially be useful should never be a limited edition thing.

Zyrusticae
Aug 11, 2012, 03:45 PM
Um, if interest lulls they should be creating actual gameplay incentives to come back, not wasting peoples' time with pointlessly limited items.

Y'know, the whole "having fun" thing will trump sweet loots any day of the week.

Ueno54
Aug 11, 2012, 03:50 PM
Eh.

Player market - TEN TRILLION DOLLA!

Sephirah
Aug 11, 2012, 03:52 PM
I missed the part where it was entirely limited. You can still get weapons, just sorry you might not be able to get specific one. I see the points to both sides of it, though - It sucks when you miss it, and it's actually not always just because you weren't playing. If you knew they were releasing an item, and you really want it, you'll login and play to get it if you can. But sometimes something's in the way of you getting on - Computer broke, 360 got the red ring of death, your PS2 disc is scratched, you were moving, switching internet providers....There are loads of reasons that can crop up and stop you from getting exclusive items, which if you aren't bitter about forcibly missing out on an item you want, I'd be surprised.

However, the idea of exclusive items being available at a certain price or available at all for a limited time HAS been around since forever - it's a sales pitch that has been proven effective. SEGA would be even more retarded than they sometimes seem if they didn't include limited-time offers in the game, and while it seems jerkish to make them available once, and only once, what happens if it's available twice, but by the time the second release comes around, you no longer play or are forced to miss out again? I know I'd be upset about being twice unlucky on the same item, one that I still want.

And yet it is a game. You're missing out on a virtual item that will probably provide you with a week or two of entertainment, then you shelve it in your bank because it's not fun anymore or everyone is tired of seeing it when you have a weapon that isn't a joke.

Also, at the comment about powerful items being exclusive, those are the BEST items if it's a sales pitch - Which would you be more likely to come back for, a rifle with 15 attack at no grinds that shoots carrots, or an eight star rifle with 320 attack at no grinds that comes with Lucky Rise II? It's an exclusive item, it sounds kinda broken, and I know if I possibly could I'd come back and snag one. Even if I can't use it yet, I'd snag one.

This.

Magus_84
Aug 11, 2012, 03:58 PM
How about just adding an already-available, low-level PA on the Event weapons, and let the class that can actually use those weapons swap to a real PA, with the off-classes not being able to?

Like with the example of the Tuna...set it at level 1...Rising Edge or something.

If you're a HU, you can swap it out for whatever. If you're a FO/RA, even if you have Hunter PAs leveled, you can't swap to them.

I say that only so the gimmick weapons aren't forced to have a useless button all the time. (The PA button).

For gimmick tech-casting weapons, make it low-level Foie. Something like Twin Blaze from PSO, where even Casts could use it (but it was Gifoie there).

Galax
Aug 11, 2012, 04:39 PM
My largest point is that it works - It reels some players back in. The wisest move would be to do a little of both, but I wonder...exactly what new gameplay incentive could be input just to lure players back in, if not a new weapon to kill things with, or a more powerful armor? A new map, if they feel up to getting a whole new area in just for some more players for a little while. An event, which would last a month and then vanish. I don't know what else they can do other than those two and new/different gear or attacks.

If it works, they'd be dumb not to use it. Limited-edition sales pitches work. Logic says use it. I know SEGA isn't exactly known to be logical...But this time around they are doing things well enough. It could be much worse.

Bottom line: If they keep to their trends thus far, I see no reason not to believe they'll try a sales pitch that is 1) proven to work and 2) can bring players back because some people do play just to be efficient (I don't, but I know some do).