PDA

View Full Version : Error message - need help please

LiL_Beast
Aug 11, 2012, 06:30 PM
After playing through a quest for a while i get a black screen then this error message

http://gyazo.com/a8db9b297ccde589898458712108c77b.png

can anyone tell me the problem and or a fix?

thanks

Sirius-91
Aug 11, 2012, 06:34 PM
Anything with your graphics card? Like a display adapter error or such?

Ana-Chan
Aug 11, 2012, 06:43 PM
After playing through a quest for a while i get a black screen then this error message

http://gyazo.com/a8db9b297ccde589898458712108c77b.png

can anyone tell me the problem and or a fix?

thanks

This happens when another application takes control of the screen. If you are using Windows 7, then one simple way to do this is to do this is to run something which requires elevation. Because the UAC prompt is on another desktop, your current desktop where PSO2 is loses control of its portion of the screen and closes. (The reason why it does this is complicated).

As for a fix, well, don't run anything that requires UAC elevation while PSO2 is running? I'm not willing to give more of a fix here because applications like Cheat Engine and PSO2 trainers would also need to be elevated.

LiL_Beast
Aug 11, 2012, 06:50 PM
The only things running on my computer were the game, Msn and Skype?

Valymer
Aug 11, 2012, 06:51 PM
I get this message when I'm Alt-Tabbed out of the game, and switch to HDMI output to watch something on my TV. I figured it was some kind of GameGuard thing.

Sirius-91
Aug 11, 2012, 06:52 PM
The only things running on my computer were the game, Msn and Skype?

Skype will sometimes call out for Direct Draw for it's video calls and animation and it's new overlay.

Ana-Chan
Aug 11, 2012, 06:59 PM
Then display drivers would be the next thing to check. The general way that this happens is when DirectX reports to the game that it lost access to the video adaptor for some reason.
As Sirius-91 also said above, there could have been an error with the display drivers. Make sure that your display adaptor isn't overheating and you have known good versions of the display drivers installed.

Skype will sometimes call out for Direct Draw for it's video calls and animation and it's new overlay.

Hmm, if it does that in exclusive mode, then yes, this could cause it.

I get this message when I'm Alt-Tabbed out of the game, and switch to HDMI output to watch something on my TV. I figured it was some kind of GameGuard thing.

Not GameGuard, this is DirectX. This tells the game that it has lost access to the adaptor, and it needs to recreate everything. It seems like SEGA got lazy and just exited the game.

Sirius-91
Aug 11, 2012, 07:05 PM
\
Not GameGuard, this is DirectX. This tells the game that it has lost access to the adaptor, and it needs to recreate everything. It seems like SEGA got lazy and just exited the game.

Nah, Blue Burst did this as well, though we just blamed it on craptastic coders.

Ana-Chan
Aug 11, 2012, 07:13 PM
Nah, Blue Burst did this as well, though we just blamed it on craptastic coders.

Yup, I know BB did this. As I said already, DirectX reports that the game has lost access to the adaptor. This means that the stuff that it had in video memory, like textures and vertex buffers and all of that has been overwritten by something else. In order for the game to continue, it must recreate all of its resources in video memory and tell DirectX that it wants to continue. This allows applications to gracefully handle the loss of access due to another application taking control of the video adaptor.
Anyway, yes this is craptastic coders at work. Their idea of gracefully handle is to just show an error message and exit.