PDA

View Full Version : So Fury Critical, Yay or Nay?

CultOfPersonality
Aug 12, 2012, 07:27 AM
Yeah.

Sephirah
Aug 12, 2012, 07:36 AM
Yay...

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2012, 08:06 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196837

(The consensus is nay)

Sephirah
Aug 12, 2012, 08:18 AM
I'm sorry but that makes no sense to me. Assuming that video and statement is correct, an ability which increases the rate at which you hit your highest possible damage (which can be made even higher with high dex) would still be a substantial increase in damage.

To put it this way, by not taking this talent, what are you taking instead that is "better"?

Sephirah
Aug 12, 2012, 08:27 AM
For someone trying to take skills specifically to increase damage, I can't see a reason not to take this skill. You could have a build that looks something like this (swap out sword gear for whichever weapon you want) - I can't see any benefit to taking points out of Fury Critical, unless you want the points for health/defense skills, but if you are taking those, you shouldn't be taking Fury Critical anyway.

http://i.imgur.com/Dvqmy.jpg

If you wanted, you could put 10 points into S-ATK Up 1, and still have 3 points in Fury Critical.

Brindizer
Aug 12, 2012, 08:49 AM
People are still debating this?

Fury Critical gives you a 20% chance to hit your max damage. The only reason one would invest in this skill is if the player has ridiculously low ability, and with sinow and rappy souls as an option, this probably shouldn't happen. Even a 30 ability boost, plus the ability boost you get from your mag, is enough to keep your ability and damage range in check. The word "Critical" in this game is misleading, as they're not actually better than any other damage you do. They're pretty stale and disappointing.

If you really want higher damage, put those points into JA Bonus instead. If you max those out, you get a solid 20% boost in all your JA'd damage.

Kimil Adrayne
Aug 12, 2012, 08:51 AM
For someone trying to take skills specifically to increase damage, I can't see a reason not to take this skill. You could have a build that looks something like this (swap out sword gear for whichever weapon you want) - I can't see any benefit to taking points out of Fury Critical, unless you want the points for health/defense skills, but if you are taking those, you shouldn't be taking Fury Critical anyway.

http://i.imgur.com/Dvqmy.jpg

If you wanted, you could put 10 points into S-ATK Up 1, and still have 3 points in Fury Critical.

I have something like this, minus the 7 points used to get to Sword gear, and plus partisan gear, twin lance gear and 5 more points into JA Advance. Works out good, gotta love then blue numbers.

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2012, 08:53 AM
We all thought fury critical would be the bees knees at first, but various JP sites claim that the real damage increase is only roughly 2-3%. I don't know how credible that is, but let's assume that it is (edit: At first I said we had no other information, but I seem to recall a PSOW player testing it and finding similar results. The fact is we don't know the curve of damage dealt between your max and your min.). Pooling into JA Bonus gives you better returns for every single hit that you time correctly - including these faux-crits - even with fury stance disabled.

I have a build with 3 points in Fury Critical. It's a joke.

Ask in that thread, I'm sure more information has cropped up since.

Sephirah
Aug 12, 2012, 08:56 AM
People are still debating this?

Fury Critical gives you a 20% chance to hit your max damage. The only reason one would invest in this skill is if the player has ridiculously low ability, and with sinow and rappy souls as an option, this probably shouldn't happen. Even a 30 ability boost, plus the ability boost you get from your mag, is enough to keep your ability and damage range in check.

If you really want higher damage, put those points into JA Bonus instead. If you max those out, you get a solid 20% boost in all your JA'd damage.

I suppose it depends on your playstyle, if you don't want to be forced into using JA every time, I still think Fury Critical would be a better choice. While having high ability will decrease the chances of hitting the low side of the damage spectrum, that does not mean its the same effect as consistently hitting the absolute highest possible.

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2012, 09:00 AM
Don't want to be forced into JA all the time? JA is a big boost to damage. I get roughly 70% extra damage consistently with my JA's with JA Bonus 9 & 10.

edit: In the count of hundreds of hits, raising the lowest damage is the same as always hitting your max because what you want is DPS, not a slightly better chance of a faux-crit.

edit2: Also there's no known evidence that higher ability raises your max damage, only your min damage.

Brindizer
Aug 12, 2012, 09:03 AM
Huh? "Forced to JA" all the time?

That's a thread ender right there.

ScottyMango
Aug 12, 2012, 09:06 AM
Forced... Into JA?

I can't understand that statement. What part of JA is so complicated that someone would be have to be 'forced' to use it? Not only is it incredibly simple to do and adds more damage, but I think it's somewhat faster too.

So what's the point of not using JA? Do you prefer to just mash buttons randomly or something?

That's like putting all of your points in defense because you don't want to be 'forced' to move...

Kimil Adrayne
Aug 12, 2012, 09:10 AM
I though JA up only increased the damage of
Normal attacks and not PAs. This true?

Sephirah
Aug 12, 2012, 09:10 AM
edit2: Also there's no known evidence that higher ability raises your max damage, only your min damage.

There is also no evidence that it doesn't. There is still a lot unknown about the ability stat.

Sephirah
Aug 12, 2012, 09:11 AM
I though JA up only increased the damage of
Normal attacks and not PAs. This true?

It only increases your normal attacks when you time them perfectly, it does not affect your PAs.

Mystil
Aug 12, 2012, 09:12 AM
I suppose it depends on your playstyle, if you don't want to be forced into using JA every time, I still think Fury Critical would be a better choice. While having high ability will decrease the chances of hitting the low side of the damage spectrum, that does not mean its the same effect as consistently hitting the absolute highest possible.

Maybe you don't know the origin of Just Attack. It's a concept derived from PSU, where you can make all your criticals pop up so long as you time the button/key presses right.

Obviously this was re-worked in PSO2 since we get JA crits XD...

We're not forced into JA. It is only common sense to JA unless you want to be doing very low damage.

Sephirah
Aug 12, 2012, 09:14 AM
Maybe you don't know the origin of Just Attack. It's a concept derived from PSU, where you can make all your criticals pop up so long as you time the button/key presses right.

Obviously this was re-worked in PSO2 since we get JA crits XD...

We're not forced into JA. It is only common sense to JA unless you want to be doing very low damage.

Originated from PSU? Check your facts, this mechanic was in PSO Ep. I&II.

I'm not saying I don't use JA, but only on boss fights when you're focusing on one thing. The other 90% of the time it's more advantageous to keep moving and do as much AoE as possible.

Kimil Adrayne
Aug 12, 2012, 09:17 AM
It wasn't JA back then. In PSO, if you didn't time your attacks corretly, you couldn't use your full combo at all. Also, there was no damage boost for time it right. Back then, you were ACTUALLY forced to time your attacks.

ScottyMango
Aug 12, 2012, 09:19 AM
I'm not saying I don't use JA, but only on boss fights when you're focusing on one thing. The other 90% of the time it's more advantageous to keep moving and do as much AoE as possible.

wat. How is that any different when using just attacks? Pretty sure you do a more efficient AoE when you're doing more damage.

Brindizer
Aug 12, 2012, 09:21 AM
It only increases your normal attacks when you time them perfectly, it does not affect your PAs.

It definitely affects your PAs. I haven't been following recent discussion, but the fact that it does work on PAs was divulged around the time people started buying extra skill trees to test this.

Edit: This thread should have died a long time ago. There's already a giant compendium on this question in the Hunter Discussion thread. It's reasons like these people bitch and say "use the search function"

I'll derail it even further by saying that if you don't like using JA for whatever crazy reason unbeknownst to me, then you'd benefit more from S-atk up skills than you would from Fury Critical.

Last edit, then I'm done.

Skill points are better spent on function rather than minute increases of damage per second. My recommendation is to follow a build like this, (http://ryuhiroshi.ry.funpic.de/pso2/hunter.html?01HU!IOI2ebnoqBGXIb4QIbf) which will give you the most amount of character options to fiddle with when you get bored.

The solid fact is that everything dies fast anyway.

ScottyMango
Aug 12, 2012, 09:22 AM
I'm pretty sure it effects any Just Attack, which can be done on PAs as well.

Sephirah
Aug 12, 2012, 09:27 AM
It wasn't JA back then. In PSO, if you didn't time your attacks corretly, you couldn't use your full combo at all. Also, there was no damage boost for time it right. Back then, you were ACTUALLY forced to time your attacks.

Hmm maybe I'm just not remembering correctly as it's been awhile, I know that you did have to time your attacks, but I could have sworn there was a difference in normally timing your attacks and a way to do the same thing but harder... unfortunately I don't have my GC anymore to check :P.

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2012, 09:28 AM
The JA Bonus skills say they don't increase technique damage. It was assumed that PA's counted as techniques, but testing was done and they do indeed raise the damage of PA's. This seems to imply that at some point in the future hunters will get techniques, but that doesn't really mean much at this point.

Just did testing, got some crits. Crits with higher ability are actually lower. My face. It would indeed reduce damage range if this is how it worked...I need to test this more. All hits on yeti asses, so all have identical defense.

ScottyMango
Aug 12, 2012, 09:28 AM
Hmm maybe I'm just not remembering correctly as it's been awhile, I know that you did have to time your attacks, but I could have sworn there was a difference in normally timing your attacks and a way to do the same thing but harder... unfortunately I don't have my GC anymore to check :P.

In PSO ep1/2, in order to do the next attack in your chain, you had to time it perfectly. Otherwise, your character would just stop attacking.

There was a separate button for 'heavy' attacks, and you could intertwine them with eachother, but it still worked the same way.

No perfect timing = no attack.

Well, I wouldn't really call it "perfect". There was a pretty long pause after each attack for you to initiate the next.

Sephirah
Aug 12, 2012, 09:29 AM
In PSO ep1/2, in order to do the next attack in your chain, you had to time it perfectly. Otherwise, your character would just stop attacking.

There was a separate button for 'heavy' attacks, and you could intertwine them with eachother, but it still worked the same way.

No perfect timing = no attack.

Ah there we go, the heavy attack was what I was thinking of, which feels the exact same as JA here.

ScottyMango
Aug 12, 2012, 09:31 AM
Yes, heavy attacks are now JAs. They even make the same noise as heavies from PSO ep1/2.

Valkyrie Lovrina
Aug 12, 2012, 09:33 AM
gee, and to think I invested 5 SP into Fury Critical. I guess I should invest the 3 remaining points I have unto JA bonus.

but listen closely....
[SPOILER-BOX]the fighter class is coming anyway. :wacko:[/SPOILER-BOX]

ScottyMango
Aug 12, 2012, 09:34 AM
I accidentally put 3 points into warcry x.o

It was my only mistake in my skill tree, but man it bugs the shit out of me.

Sephirah
Aug 12, 2012, 09:38 AM
gee, and to think I invested 5 SP into Fury Critical. I guess I should invest the 3 remaining points I have unto JA bonus.

but listen closely....
[SPOILER-BOX]the fighter class is coming anyway. :wacko:[/SPOILER-BOX]

Where did you see info on the new classes?

ScottyMango
Aug 12, 2012, 09:41 AM
I think he just means that he'll(she'll?) be able to start over with a new tree and get it right this time, not that he(she?) actually knows anything about the fighter skill tree.

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2012, 09:42 AM
I accidentally put 3 points into warcry x.o

It was my only mistake in my skill tree, but man it bugs the shit out of me.

One day you should go all the way in. A glass cannon aggro build...now that'd be something to see!

But yeah, three hits for 633 damage with 334 ability (rappy soul on my arm unit), but getting 641 damage with 304 ability and no other units replacing that slot. All attacks are withthe same weapon, the first in the combo, no JA, no stepping, all on yeti asses, no darker boosts, all the same level in the same map.

I thought it might work this way, but I didn't actually expect it.

edit: 633 without the rappy soul unit with the same conditions, now I don't know what the hell to think.

jooozek
Aug 12, 2012, 09:46 AM
You can JA techniques, the damage increase is noticeable (the passive skill for boosting them for forces is called Tech JA Advance).

Valkyrie Lovrina
Aug 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
I think he just means that he'll(she'll?) be able to start over with a new tree and get it right this time, not that he(she?) actually knows anything about the fighter skill tree.I was actually implying that Fury Critical may or may not be on the Fighter skill tree and that its nothing to worry about.

[SPOILER-BOX]She btw :wacko:[/SPOILER-BOX]

Sephirah
Aug 12, 2012, 09:51 AM
I was actually implying that Fury Critical may or may not be on the Fighter skill tree and that its nothing to worry about.

[SPOILER-BOX]She btw :wacko:[/SPOILER-BOX]

Aww you got my hopes up. :(

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2012, 09:51 AM
You can JA techniques, the damage increase is noticeable (the passive skill for boosting them for forces is called Tech JA Advance).

I was wondering why you said this, then noticed I said JA's say they don't increase technique damage. I meant to say JA Bonus says it doesn't increase technique damage. The description for the hunter skill JA Bonus 1 and JA Bonus 2 say they don't affect techniques, but they do affect PA's. It was assumed the description meant PA's until it was confirmed that JA Bonus does indeed raise PA damage.

I'm going to be doing some proper testing on ability versus ATK today, I've been meaning to for weeks and this thread has me wondering again. I'm also confused by the crits I've already gotten.

Sephirah
Aug 12, 2012, 09:57 AM
I was wondering why you said this, then noticed I said JA's say they don't increase technique damage. I meant to say JA Bonus says it doesn't increase technique damage. The description for the hunter skill JA Bonus 1 and JA Bonus 2 say they don't affect techniques, but they do affect PA's. It was assumed the description meant PA's until it was confirmed that JA Bonus does indeed raise PA damage.

I'm going to be doing some proper testing on ability versus ATK today, I've been meaning to for weeks and this thread has me wondering again. I'm also confused by the crits I've already gotten.

Awesome I'd love to see what you find. :)

jooozek
Aug 12, 2012, 10:56 AM

But hunters can't use techniques anyway so that puzzled me as to why you'd even mention them so I assumed you were talking about forces.

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2012, 11:03 AM
But hunters can't use techniques anyway so that puzzled me as to why you'd even mention them so I assumed you were talking about forces.

Yeah, it specifically says techniques. It may imply that hunters will get access to techniques in the future - or more specifically, hunters with access to this tree. It may be left over from when subclasses were being tested, and they're either coming later or dropped. By now it's sure to have been noticed by Sega that it's written this way in the released game, and it hasn't been "fixed," so it's probably intentional by now. Not much can really be garnered from it besides that.

I've done a bit of testing, here are my results:
(Note: Some damage was equal to a crit but didn't have blue text, I marked it down anyway)
966 S-ATK 304 ABI
Yeti Butts Lv 35

966 S-ATK 364 ABI
Yeti Butts Lv 35
537 (not a crit)

996 S-ATK 304 ABI
Yeti Butts Lv 35

996 S-ATK 364 ABI
Yeti Butts Lv 35
555 (not a crit)
555 (not a crit)

Most interesting bit? I could swear I was critting more with higher ability. It may have been plain luck, but I spent probably a third the time looking for crits with the extra 60 ability and even dealt crit damage without blue text a few times whereas without the extra 60 ability I didn't even once.

Sephirah
Aug 12, 2012, 11:06 AM
Yeah, it specifically says techniques. It may imply that hunters will get access to techniques in the future - or more specifically, hunters with access to this tree. It may be left over from when subclasses were being tested, and they're either coming later or dropped. By now it's sure to have been noticed by Sega that it's written this way in the released game, and it hasn't been "fixed," so it's probably intentional by now. Not much can really be garnered from it besides that.

(Note: Some damage was equal to a crit but didn't have blue text, I marked it down anyway)
966 S-ATK 304 ABI
Yeti Butts Lv 35

966 S-ATK 364 ABI
Yeti Butts Lv 35
537 (not a crit)

996 S-ATK 304 ABI
Yeti Butts Lv 35

996 S-ATK 364 ABI
Yeti Butts Lv 35
555 (not a crit)
555 (not a crit)

Most interesting bit? I could swear I was critting more with higher ability. It may have been plain luck, but I spent probably a third the time looking for crits with the extra 60 ability and even dealt crit damage without blue text a few times whereas without the extra 60 ability I didn't even once.

You're the 2nd person to tell me they've noticed a direct correlation between increasing ability and increasing the frequency of crits.

Out of those crits you posted though, how many were normal attacks and what were their damages

IndigoNovember
Aug 12, 2012, 01:02 PM
To take the discussion a level up from just pure numbers (not that pure numbers are bad, but for a different point of view), Fury Critical is good if you're in Fury Stance a lot. Otherwise you'll get more bang for your buck by putting those points into JA Bonus 1 & 2 since these are always in effect while Fury Critical is only in effect when you're in Fury Stance.

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2012, 01:20 PM
You're the 2nd person to tell me they've noticed a direct correlation between increasing ability and increasing the frequency of crits.

Out of those crits you posted though, how many were normal attacks and what were their damages

All of those attacks were identical. They were:
Normal (As in not JA)
The first attack in a sword combo
On level 35 yeti butts, all giving the same sound effect (This is why I chose yetis - there's a distinct sound when you hit the exposed bones on their backs)
Fury Stance was not enabled, no Shifta Drink
I was also alone in a passworded MPA

For the time being I'm comfortable in saying that Fury Critical is only good if you've already maxed JA Bonus 1 & 2 and Fury Stance. Maybe even after S-ATK Up 1. Maybe, if you already happen to be going that way on the tree.

HFlowen
Aug 12, 2012, 01:31 PM
I have max fury stance/crit and see blue numbers very often. Once the cap is level 50 I'll have max JA 1/2 as well. I suppose you can't invest as heavily into that side of the tree if you want to go grab sword gear, but I prefer partisans.

Here's an experiment since people keep talking about ability: Who would have higher DPS? A player with JA1/2, say a mag with 80StkAtk/70Dex, and rappy soul on every armor. Or a player with Fury/crit maxed, a pure Strk mag and vol souls on everything.

You don't really need to think too hard about it, them rappies are gonna die in three hits either way I suppose.

Magus_84
Aug 12, 2012, 01:59 PM
Since a crit is the maximum damage in your damage range, and Ability ups your minimum damage within your damage range...wouldn't it be theoretically possible to get enough Ability to where every hit does "critical" damage, even if it doesn't get the blue text from the crit chance?

There's probably a diminishing returns model in place to prevent that from actually happening, but it seems the like the mechanical results people are getting are somewhere along that continuum.

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2012, 02:01 PM
It's probably either capped or set on a curve so high where you would need so much ability that no equips in the game would let you deal your max damage with every hit - and by that point swapping even one ability for one ATK point would probably get better results.

That tends to be how systems like this are set up.

GoldenFalcon
Aug 12, 2012, 05:06 PM
My Ranger has like 437 ability after Rappy Souls, and my damage range against certain enemies like El Arda is still like 1800 to 2200 (Launcher Cluster Bomb). The ability stat required to "always crit" against them is bogus

However, I hit between 98% and 100% of my max damage against everything else

Zorafim
Aug 12, 2012, 06:03 PM
Since a crit is the maximum damage in your damage range, and Ability ups your minimum damage within your damage range...wouldn't it be theoretically possible to get enough Ability to where every hit does "critical" damage, even if it doesn't get the blue text from the crit chance?

There's probably a diminishing returns model in place to prevent that from actually happening, but it seems the like the mechanical results people are getting are somewhere along that continuum.

Yes, this is why we're saying that Fury Crit isn't that great. We have enough ability that the boost isn't all that great anyway. It'd be much better if you put everything into strike, and nothing in ability.

Kimil Adrayne
Aug 12, 2012, 06:09 PM
Yes, this is why we're saying that Fury Crit isn't that great. We have enough ability that the boost isn't all that great anyway. It'd be much better if you put everything into strike, and nothing in ability.

This what I've done. Everything into strike, nothing Into ability and maxed out the furies. Still nothin to compare to though.

Magus_84
Aug 12, 2012, 06:42 PM

Ok, that's the conclusion I'd come to, just wanted to spell it out.

I don't plan on leveling Hunter, but it makes me feel a bit better about currently using a mostly-Ability/Dex mag on my Force.

Geistritter
Aug 12, 2012, 06:53 PM
How could you be seen as being "forced" into using Just Attack? Just Attack is more powerful and can be used with almost no penalty - some weapons are actually slower without it. You're foolish for not making it a top priority regardless of your skill setup, period.

That said, Fury Critical is one of those skills that would be fine if there weren't plenty of more valuable skills to spend those points on, simple as that.

IAmSecretSpy
Aug 12, 2012, 06:58 PM

Sorry but i have to disagree with "crit is the maximum damage in your damage range" I do crits on normal Mobs and Boss's and its dramatically different. Like anywhere from 600-2K without any special bonuses. I said this before and ill say it again Health plays a role in damage done to monsters.

Geistritter
Aug 12, 2012, 07:01 PM
And yes, critical hits in and of themselves are not just hits that score in the top of your damage range.

At least, that's not all there is to it. Fury Critical has been suggested to work differently, but criticals in and of themselves don't.

I said this before and ill say it again Health plays a role in damage done to monsters.

This, however, seems to have no basis in fact whatsoever.

GoldenFalcon
Aug 12, 2012, 07:04 PM
Sorry but i have to disagree with "crit is the maximum damage in your damage range" I do crits on normal Mobs and Boss's and its dramatically different. Like anywhere from 600-2K without any special bonuses. I said this before and ill say it again Health plays a role in damage done to monsters.

A 600 "crit" would be on Rockbear's arm, and a 2k "crit" would be on his face
It's nothing special. Crits are cosmetic

IAmSecretSpy
Aug 12, 2012, 07:05 PM
And yes, critical hits in and of themselves are not just hits that score in the top of your damage range.

At least, that's not all there is to it. Fury Critical has been suggested to work differently, but criticals in and of themselves don't.

This, however, seems to have no basis in fact whatsoever.

If that is so tell me why my average damage to Mobs and Boss's are anywhere from 200-800+? If you didn't get that i do 200 more minimum damage + to bosses then normal Mobs...

A 600 "crit" would be on Rockbear's arm, and a 2k "crit" would be on his face
It's nothing special. Crits are cosmetic

Don't jump the gun i never said what boss it was, or where i hit those boss's...

GoldenFalcon
Aug 12, 2012, 07:08 PM
Don't jump the gun i never said what boss it was...

You're the one basically saying you can't explain your damage numbers
I'm explaining that you aren't setting apart weakpoints and normal hits, and you aren't saying if you're comparing robots to the darker antlion's belly

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2012, 07:11 PM
At first I was pretty adamant in my stance that crits were not your max possible damage, but different attacks in a combo have different damages and enemies have multiple hitboxes with different defenses. I had one 200 damage crit sandwiched between two 400+ damage non-crits. That was all kinds of wrong.

These kinds of numbers, though? These don't leave much doubt in my mind that they're your top damage:
(All hits with identical conditions, as also cited in this thread)

966 S-ATK 304 ABI
Yeti Butts Lv 35

966 S-ATK 364 ABI
Yeti Butts Lv 35
537 (not a crit)

996 S-ATK 304 ABI
Yeti Butts Lv 35

996 S-ATK 364 ABI
Yeti Butts Lv 35
555 (not a crit)
555 (not a crit)

IAmSecretSpy
Aug 12, 2012, 07:13 PM
You're the one basically saying you can't explain your damage numbers
I'm explaining that you aren't setting apart weakpoints and normal hits, and you aren't saying if you're comparing robots to the darker antlion's belly

This is besides the point. I'll quote myself again just in case you didn't see or understand "Health plays a role in damage done to monsters". Crits, PA's, Weapon bonuses aside i do more average damage to a Boss then i do a Normal Monster. Im not counting Critical hits or weak spots. Essentially what im getting at is your Damage might be modified against that monsters Health. By what you may ask? I don't know, what i do know is its enough of an increase for me to notice. If its absolutely necessary i will test it out later this evening just to prove my point. Hell i may even be delusional but that's not the case ;)

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2012, 07:15 PM
I'm prone to think bosses have low damage resistance because who doesn't love to see big numbers? You see that in a lot of games.

IAmSecretSpy
Aug 12, 2012, 07:16 PM
I'm prone to think bosses have low damage resistance because who doesn't love to see big numbers? You see that in a lot of games.

That can also be a possibility, and would have the same effect as a Damage Modifier based on Health.

GoldenFalcon
A damage range of 195-200 vs. a damage range of 150-200 will see a lot more 200's since there's 1/10th the numbers to pick
Although, this is assuming that it's as simple as fair RNG. In my experience though, the results seem to be more like an inverse bell-curve, while avoiding the middle numbers. This makes increasing the bottom of it even more important

Magus_84
If that is so tell me why my average damage to Mobs and Boss's are anywhere from 200-800+? If you didn't get that i do 200 more minimum damage + to bosses then normal Mobs...

Don't jump the gun i never said what boss it was, or where i hit those boss's...

I think some of the damage variance has to do with where you're hitting them, not just on bosses.

Like shooting an Oodan in its body vs its face.

A better phrasing would probably be "a critical is the maximum damage in your damage range against the specific body part's defenses you're hitting".

So...using the Oodan example:

Normally I do 200-500 damage with an Aiming Shot if I hit it in the body.

If I hit it in the face, I do 400-700 damage with an Aiming Shot.

A "critical" on the body would be 500. A "critical" on the head would be 700.

That's the understanding I'm getting from reading through the topics here and watching my own damage with my horribad aim.

IAmSecretSpy
Aug 12, 2012, 07:19 PM
A damage range of 195-200 vs. a damage range of 150-200 will see a lot more 200's since there's 1/10th the numbers to pick
Although, this is assuming that it's as simple as fair RNG. In my experience though, the results seem to be more like an inverse bell-curve, while avoiding the middle numbers. This makes increasing the bottom of it even more important

While i understand your Philosophy the damage increase is in the Hundreds. Almost as if my Average Damage towards Normal mobs was my Lowest Damage against Boss's.

I think some of the damage variance has to do with where you're hitting them, not just on bosses.

Like shooting an Oodan in its body vs its face.

A better phrasing would probably be "a critical is the maximum damage in your damage range against the specific body part's defenses you're hitting".

So...using the Oodan example:

Normally I do 200-500 damage with an Aiming Shot if I hit it in the body.

If I hit it in the face, I do 400-700 damage with an Aiming Shot.

A "critical" on the body would be 500. A "critical" on the head would be 700.

That's the understanding I'm getting from reading through the topics here and watching my own damage with my horribad aim.

Yea it may be that i am hitting a weak spot but im certain im not.
Like i said i'll have to test just to make sure. Heck it might even be my Ability going haywire since its almost as high as my striking. :)

GoldenFalcon
Aug 12, 2012, 07:22 PM
While i understand your Philosophy the damage increase is in the Hundreds. Almost as if my Average Damage towards Normal mobs was my Lowest Damage against Boss's.

I was posting that in response to gigawuts, since he also thinks that ability "increasing critical rate" is a misnomer

I personally have not noticed any difference in my normal mob damage vs. boss damage, though. This is probably due to my love of weakpoints, where enemy defense seems to always be 0

IAmSecretSpy
Aug 12, 2012, 07:57 PM
I was posting that in response to gigawuts, since he also thinks that ability "increasing critical rate" is a misnomer

I personally have not noticed any difference in my normal mob damage vs. boss damage, though. This is probably due to my love of weakpoints, where enemy defense seems to always be 0

Ahh then i Apologize. I still find it funny i do more average damage then a Level 40 Hunter(I'm level 42) He still does higher damage with PA's but still im 8 levels away :P

IndigoNovember
Aug 13, 2012, 12:08 AM
Ahh then i Apologize. I still find it funny i do more average damage then a Level 40 Hunter(I'm level 42) He still does higher damage with PA's but still im 8 levels away :P

The math... how? what? I don't even...

GoldenFalcon
Aug 13, 2012, 12:11 AM
The math... how? what? I don't even...

He meant 32
And he's being vague in all of his posts on purpose, by the way

IndigoNovember
Aug 13, 2012, 12:25 AM
ಠ_ಠ
So that's how the "I'm still 8 levels away" comment makes sense...