PDA

View Full Version : Some kind of leaderboard at the end of quests?

Sephirah
Aug 12, 2012, 09:55 AM
So let me start off by saying I'm not talking about a DPS meter by any means, while these things are useful, I feel they actually hurt the game more, as people pay more attention to their meter than focusing on fight mechanics.

But, I would like the game to give me some type of feedback as to how I'm doing, other than getting an S rank which only requires you to kill everything you see and not die.

It would be nice if they had a system like (if any of you played it) DC Online, where at the end of an instance (in this case missions) it would rank your party members with their total damage/healing done throughout the map.

I think if they had something like this it would allow people to see how they are doing in comparison to other people of their class, without ruining any of the game play.

Really? This has almost reached page 2 without a reply, I would have thought a lot of people want a system like this...

Dinosaur
Aug 12, 2012, 12:39 PM
You can subtly tell who's getting kills by seeing who gets their PB gauge first.

PSO Addict
Aug 12, 2012, 12:47 PM
More things contribute to Photon Blast than damage.

I just want to go out and kill stuff at my own pace. I do not wish to be compared to other players. That would take away from my game play.

Kimil Adrayne
Aug 12, 2012, 01:05 PM
I wouldnt mind a stat board at the end of each mission, showing all the players (in party, mid way quitters and joiners, and MPA people) and their respective total damage dealt, highest damage dealt, total number killed, total final blows, total damage taken, total deaths, total heals etc.

I don't mind this one bit, but would the Japanese? Since, you know, their opinions are the only ones that matter to SEGA.

Coatl
Aug 12, 2012, 02:13 PM
Any normal mob I rafoie twice dies.
That's a good enough notice that I'm doing good.

I think the DPS meter is a bad idea. I don't want to feel like I have to deal the most DPS possible in order to not be kicked from a party, or looked down upon because I sat down to afk for 5minutes. I don't want to see that happen to other people either. Leave it how it is now, nice and simple.

Sephirah
Aug 12, 2012, 02:17 PM
Any normal mob I rafoie twice dies.
That's a good enough notice that I'm doing good.

I think the DPS meter is a bad idea. I don't want to feel like I have to deal the most DPS possible in order to not be kicked from a party, or looked down upon. I don't want to see that happen to other people either. Leave it how it is now, nice and simple.

I never said DPS meter was a good idea, infact I started out the thread saying that's specifically not what I'm talking about. What Kimil described was a more detailed version of what I was talking about.

So let me start off by saying I'm not talking about a DPS meter by any means, while these things are useful, I feel they actually hurt the game more, as people pay more attention to their meter than focusing on fight mechanics.

And to your first point, that is true, but without any kind of physical feedback it is more difficult to improve. If you run a quest a certain way, and you do 100,000 damage at the end of it, and then the next time you decide to use a different strategy and you do 350,000; that gives you a better idea of how you should play. Things die so quickly it's near impossible to keep track of it all.

Revlis-Desilver
Aug 13, 2012, 08:21 AM
Not sure this would work. I don't really want to see that a hunter that is the same lvl as me is hitting for more because he has a different skill tree / weapon setup, that would annoy the hell out of me.

Sephirah
Aug 13, 2012, 09:23 AM
Not sure this would work. I don't really want to see that a hunter that is the same lvl as me is hitting for more because he has a different skill tree / weapon setup, that would annoy the hell out of me.

So if you saw a hunter the same level as you do say, double your damage, you would get annoyed/mad instead of thinking, hmm maybe they're onto something, maybe I could do something different and improve myself?

Kondibon
Aug 13, 2012, 09:37 AM
This seems like it would cause a lot of animosity, especially in a game where you have to spend real world money to fix your build. It works in games like DCUO because it's so easy to repec if you don't like your build, but some people may end up being stuck with what they've got for a long time in PSO2, not to mention racial/gender differences, while small, would still skew it.

On the other hand I think adding more things to the weekly rankings on the visiphone, like mission times and stuff would be interesting.

Revlis-Desilver
Aug 13, 2012, 09:41 AM
So if you saw a hunter the same level as you do say, double your damage, you would get annoyed/mad instead of thinking, hmm maybe they're onto something, maybe I could do something different and improve myself?

yes I agree with you but if i've already started a skill tree id have to buy another to set it to the same abilities skills as the other player, thats what i'd get annoyed about :)

Sephirah
Aug 13, 2012, 09:42 AM
yes I agree with you but if i've already started a skill tree id have to buy another to set it to the same abilities skills as the other player, thats what i'd get annoyed about :)

I can understand that, but that's not you being annoyed at what we're talking about, that's you being mad at SEGA being greedy and making you pay for something that should be free. :P

Mike
Aug 13, 2012, 09:45 AM
This seems like it would cause a lot of animosity, especially in a game where you have to spend real world money to fix your build.
Exactly and this is why I'm glad it doesn't have one.

Macman
Aug 13, 2012, 09:50 AM
It would be nice if they had a system like (if any of you played it) DC Online, where at the end of an instance (in this case missions) it would rank your party members with their total damage/healing done throughout the map.

I think if they had something like this it would allow people to see how they are doing in comparison to other people of their class, without ruining any of the game play.

Sounds like something for other people to act all elitist and bitch about.

"Look at your rating, you're fucking awful! Get out of my party, scrub!"

Ce'Nedra
Aug 13, 2012, 09:51 AM
You can subtly tell who's getting kills by seeing who gets their PB gauge first.

Your PB fills also by taking damage or hitting multiple enemies same time, don't have to kill them for it per se. So I don't 100% agree with you there.

Sephirah
Aug 13, 2012, 09:59 AM
Before this thread de-rails any more, I'm just going to say, more information is never bad, what you choose to do with that information is upto you.

I understand it can be frustrating to see others outperform you, and yes, some people will be elitests, but there will always be elitests, regardless of systems like this being in place. When presented with information showing where you can use improvement, you can either take it in and work on it, or you can get mad, your choice.

I will agree that it sucks people have to pay if they want to change though. I really wish I could just pay premium and get access to everything, the fact you have to pay premium AND buy additional re-specs etc is stupid.

Mystil
Aug 13, 2012, 10:01 AM
Underestimating the immaturity of other's and how assmad they would get upon being ranked the lowest overall.

The current system is fine.

Or being trolled by those ranked higher.

Macman
Aug 13, 2012, 10:05 AM
Before this thread de-rails any more, I'm just going to say, more information is never bad, what you choose to do with that information is upto you. More information that would be HELPFUL is knowing how many monsters you need to kill for those timed s-rank client orders.

I understand it can be frustrating to see others outperform you, and yes, some people will be elitests, but there will always be elitests, regardless of systems like this being in place.
Yes, but the last thing we need is to give those self-righteous snobs more ammunition.

Sephirah
Aug 13, 2012, 10:06 AM
More information that would be HELPFUL is knowing how many monsters you need to kill for those timed s-rank client orders.

Yes, but the last thing we need is to give those self-righteous snobs more ammunition.

To get S-rank there is no set amount you need to kill, you have to kill any mob that spawns, so if you don't run to an area of the map and dont trigger those spawns, you don't have to kill them, but if you see that yellow dot pop up on your map, you better go kill it.

Macman
Aug 13, 2012, 10:10 AM
While that sounds simple, this game has the habit of waiting about 10 seconds after you've seemingly killed the last monster of a block only to spawn another 50 feet behind you (sometimes even after it's out of radar range).

That's the most annoying thing in the world when you're trying to meet a time limit.

Mystil
Aug 13, 2012, 10:17 AM
^I thought I was the only annoyed by that.

Kondibon
Aug 13, 2012, 10:27 AM
To get S-rank there is no set amount you need to kill, you have to kill any mob that spawns, so if you don't run to an area of the map and dont trigger those spawns, you don't have to kill them, but if you see that yellow dot pop up on your map, you better go kill it.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. I've killed a lot then rushed through the rest of a map ignoring all the spawns and still got an S rank on several occasions. I've even seen someone say that their strategy is to just focus on easy to kill things and ignore anything that takes more than 2 seconds to kill for the S-rank speed runs. There's definitely a specific amount of enemies, based on which mission it is.

Sephirah
Aug 13, 2012, 10:32 AM
I'm pretty sure this isn't true. I've killed a lot then rushed through the rest of a map ignoring all the spawns and still got an S rank on several occasions. I've even seen someone say that their strategy is to just focus on easy to kill things and ignore anything that takes more than 2 seconds to kill for the S-rank speed runs. There's definitely a specific amount of enemies, based on which mission it is.

I have tested this several times myself and I can assure you, running through the map and killing the absolute minimum (only what spawned) will give you S-Rank, even if you manage to only kill 4 things. (Assuming you spawned all 4 and were playing through the map from the start - joining a game already halfway through map 2 will not give you this result.)

The only times you can ignore monsters that have spawned are: If they are leftover monsters from a completed Emergency Code, or if they are mobs that are spawned by another party elsewhere on the map.

Alenoir
Aug 13, 2012, 12:23 PM
http://wikiwiki.asia/pso2/index.php?Tips#vb69dac8

That seem to indicate otherwise on how to S rank.

Coatl
Aug 13, 2012, 12:55 PM
I have tested this several times myself and I can assure you, running through the map and killing the absolute minimum (only what spawned) will give you S-Rank, even if you manage to only kill 4 things. (Assuming you spawned all 4 and were playing through the map from the start - joining a game already halfway through map 2 will not give you this result.)

The only times you can ignore monsters that have spawned are: If they are leftover monsters from a completed Emergency Code, or if they are mobs that are spawned by another party elsewhere on the map.

Actually, neither of you are right. Go run through Za oodan without killing anything but the Za oodans needed to complete the quest and you'll still achieve S rank.

Each monster you kill gives an invisible amount of points. You need X amount of points to acquire an S rank, which the number is different between all quests. It would be similar to dagan extermination in which Breedas give you about 10 points added to the 0/100 counter when you kill one. S ranks work in a similar way. For this reason, you shouldn't skip bosses. I've done free mines skipping everything, but encountered TWO ragnes and obviously killed Vader himself, and managed an S rank. We literally skipped everything besides that.

http://wikiwiki.asia/pso2/index.php?Tips#vb69dac8

That seem to indicate otherwise on how to S rank.

I believe that most of that (the rest is eligible to me with translations) seem to agree with me.

NeoRydia
Aug 13, 2012, 12:59 PM
Actually, neither of you are right. Go run through Za oodan without killing anything but the Za oodans needed to complete the quest and you'll still achieve S rank.

Each monster you kill gives an invisible amount of points. You need X amount of points to acquire an S rank, which the number is different between all quests. It would be similar to dagan extermination in which Breedas give you about 10 points added to the 0/100 counter when you kill one. S ranks work in a similar way. For this reason, you shouldn't skip bosses. I've done free mines skipping everything, but encountered TWO ragnes and obviously killed Vader himself, and managed an S rank. We literally skipped everything besides that.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to post and is definitely how it works to get an S rank.

Cyrillic
Aug 13, 2012, 01:09 PM
Eh, if there needs to be any kind of ranking system in place, it should be time-based.

Damage is only part of it, but if you're being efficient in all elements of gameplay, which is healing, DPS, taking the best routes through the map. Then it will reflect in your party's time.

Dying a lot? reflected in your time, not healing others efficiently? the time the damagers have to fumble for healing items or backing off on attacking would also be reflected.

DonMakaveli
Aug 13, 2012, 01:21 PM
That's exactly what we need a bunch of useless cosmetic stat counters for everything we kill in seconds to increase MASSIVELLY the game's lag. not tryin to be an asshole but while being one, ye nice idea.

Sephirah
Aug 13, 2012, 01:55 PM
That's exactly what we need a bunch of useless cosmetic stat counters for everything we kill in seconds to increase MASSIVELLY the game's lag. not tryin to be an asshole but while being one, ye nice idea.

You clearly have failed to grasp the concept of what we are talking about. For the last time, REAL TIME DPS METERS ARE NOT WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.

We are discussing a readout of personal statistics at the end of a map. As all that information is already being logged, generating a report at the end of a mission would not cause lag.

And thank you for clearing up the S-Rank confusion Coatl.

Ueno54
Aug 13, 2012, 03:14 PM
Underestimating the immaturity of other's and how assmad they would get upon being ranked the lowest overall.

The current system is fine.

/topic

People are terrible for the most part and everyone would turn into balls of rage.

Crevox
Aug 13, 2012, 03:18 PM
It would encourage people to contribute more in a party environment (even without extra rewards) but could cause negative social cases.

PSO2 isn't competitive right now anyways, it's good party fun... but it would become competitive, even for something as simple as that.

Shadowth117
Aug 13, 2012, 03:36 PM
It would encourage people to contribute more in a party environment (even without extra rewards) but could cause negative social cases.

PSO2 isn't competitive right now anyways, it's good party fun... but it would become competitive, even for something as simple as that.

Sega's shown they want competitive elements hence the TA mission (they REALLY need to make more of these and with permanent leaderboards) and interrupt rankings. Unfortunately any interrupt ranking but the boss and TA ones is a joke and are basically lotteries, but the boss ones are very fun in my opinion.

However for regular, randomized runs any sort of ranking is really rather stupid due to said randomness. There's not a lot that could be done in this type of a setting that would really be fair in my opinion. Pure luck should never be a factor in any type of scoring.

DonMakaveli
Aug 13, 2012, 05:32 PM
You clearly have failed to grasp the concept of what we are talking about. For the last time, REAL TIME DPS METERS ARE NOT WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.

We are discussing a readout of personal statistics at the end of a map. As all that information is already being logged, generating a report at the end of a mission would not cause lag.

And thank you for clearing up the S-Rank confusion Coatl.

If the stats are already stored ye i don't see how it could hurt unless some people get too competitive and start ruining multi party gameplay somehow..