PDA

View Full Version : Difference between JA Bonus 1 & 2

Sephirah
Aug 13, 2012, 09:40 AM
I apologize if this has already been answered somewhere, don't feel like digging through posts.

Just wondering what, if any, the difference between these two skills are. Is 2 just more of the same thing? Does it matter how the points are distributed between the 2?

Basically, which would be better:
5 in JA bonus 1 and 10 in JA bonus 2
10 in JA bonus 1 and 5 in JA bonus 2

Or would an even split like 8 in one, 7 in the other be better?

[spoiler-box]
http://i.imgur.com/Ljo7K.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tZl6E.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

Ana-Chan
Aug 13, 2012, 09:43 AM
It is more of the same thing really.

To be honest, with the bonuses that you get from them, there is no difference. You get a 1% increase for each skill point, so the result is identical.

So if I would have to say what way I'd do it, 10 in 1 and 5 in 2.

Macman
Aug 13, 2012, 09:44 AM
They're identical, so the only thing you DON'T want to be doing is putting something like 7 points in each, given the stat gains increase the more points you put into a single one.

Sephirah
Aug 13, 2012, 09:46 AM
It is more of the same thing really.

To be honest, with the bonuses that you get from them, there is no difference. You get a 1% increase for each skill point, so the result is identical.

So if I would have to say what way I'd do it, 10 in 1 and 5 in 2.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm assuming that carries over to all the skills, like would S-ATK Up 1 and 2 act the same way?

Ana-Chan
Aug 13, 2012, 09:46 AM
They're identical, so the only thing you DON'T want to be doing is putting something like 7 points in each, given the stat gains increase the more points you put into a single one.

For JA bonus it isn't, it is an even single percent increase, so at level 1 it is 101% and at level 10 it is 110% for both.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm assuming that carries over to all the skills, like would S-ATK Up 1 and 2 act the same way?

The layout, yes, max one before adding points to another. But S-ATK up is uneven, at level 1 you get +3 at level 10 you get +50. So it does matter there, and in that case it would be a definitive get one to +10 before you start putting points in another.

Macman
Aug 13, 2012, 09:47 AM
Nevermind.

Sephirah
Aug 13, 2012, 09:53 AM
For JA bonus it isn't, it is an even single percent increase, so at level 1 it is 101% and at level 10 it is 110% for both.

The layout, yes, max one before adding points to another. But S-ATK up is uneven, at level 1 you get +3 at level 10 you get +50. So it does matter there, and in that case it would be a definitive get one to +10 before you start putting points in another.

Nice, so I guess my next question would be, which do you think would be more overall damage:

Having 15% bonus to JA and a static +50 to S-atk, or a 5% bonus to JA with a static +100 to S.ATK. - Also to make the +100 s.atk work, I'd have to drop Fury Stance from 5 to 1, I'm not sure on the exact amount that adds.

Right now I'm thinking the 15%/50 is probably better.

gigawuts
Aug 13, 2012, 10:02 AM
It's an identical percentage point per level. Since it's not certain whether it adds or multiplies, assume the latter and split evenly.

Ana-Chan
Aug 13, 2012, 10:17 AM
That is entirely down to your play style. To be honest, I'm not one of those people who thinks that big numbers is everything as a hunter. Yes it helps a lot, but I don't think it is absolutely vital.

I won't really give you much help with more overall damage, since it depends a lot on other things too. For my hunter layout (currently level 20), I have been going down the left hand side since I dislike the sword. The weapons that you get gears for down that side rely on mobility more than power. When I get what I want from that side of the tree, I will probably put more into S-Atk though.

So for me, using the weapons I prefer helps a lot more with overall damage because I am also better at them.

Sephirah
Aug 13, 2012, 10:28 AM
That is entirely down to your play style. To be honest, I'm not one of those people who thinks that big numbers is everything as a hunter. Yes it helps a lot, but I don't think it is absolutely vital.

I won't really give you much help with more overall damage, since it depends a lot on other things too. For my hunter layout (currently level 20), I have been going down the left hand side since I dislike the sword. The weapons that you get gears for down that side rely on mobility more than power. When I get what I want from that side of the tree, I will probably put more into S-Atk though.

So for me, using the weapons I prefer helps a lot more with overall damage because I am also better at them.

I hear what you're saying, as far as hunters go I'm totally the black sheep in the family as my weapon of choice is the Gunslash. I know it does less damage, but with the frequency of attacks and number of hits their PAs do, I rack up way more damage than when I'm using a sword or Wired Lance of equal/greater strength.

gigawuts
Aug 13, 2012, 10:38 AM
Gunslash is a good and pretty underestimated weapon, but after a certain amount of time or after a certain amount of enemies (or total HP in general, really) it does indeed get outperformed by the other hunter weapons.

At a moment's notice though, I love my gunslash.

Sephirah
Aug 13, 2012, 10:41 AM
Gunslash is a good and pretty underestimated weapon, but after a certain amount of time or after a certain amount of enemies (or total HP in general, really) it does indeed get outperformed by the other hunter weapons.

At a moment's notice though, I love my gunslash.

I think Thrillsplosion is what clenches it for me. Especially on bosses that have multiple hit locations.

Zorafim
Aug 13, 2012, 12:22 PM
Split the points evenly. If you do 10/5, you'll boost your damage by 1.1*1.05=1.155, or 15.5%. If you split it evenly, you get 1.08*1.07=1.1556, or 15.56%. That's right, you boost your damage by an entire six hundredths of a percent by doing it that way.

So do it!

Sephirah
Aug 13, 2012, 12:29 PM
Split the points evenly. If you do 10/5, you'll boost your damage by 1.1*1.05=1.155, or 15.5%. If you split it evenly, you get 1.08*1.07=1.1556, or 15.56%. That's right, you boost your damage by an entire six hundredths of a percent by doing it that way.

So do it!

Do we even know if the game takes that small amount of difference into account? Speaking from experience, most games round their numbers, so a 15.55/15.56 would either be a 15 or 16.

Ana-Chan
Aug 13, 2012, 12:35 PM
Do we even know if the game takes that small amount of difference into account? Speaking from experience, most games round their numbers, so a 15.55/15.56 would either be a 15 or 16.

First, PSO2 truncates, so this would be seen as 15. Secondly, we don't know much about the damage calculation. So it could also be using just one value for it to calculate. Ie, if JA bonus 1 is at 110% and JA bonus 2 is at 105%, that is a 15% increase, so the total could be 115%. It is actually easier for computers to do it that way.

Zorafim
Aug 13, 2012, 12:42 PM
Not by much. Code wise, it's simple to do
total damage = (JA boost 1) * (JA boost 2) * (other variables I'm not considering)

Though down on a binary level, or even an assembly level, it's much faster to do addition than multiplication. Down at this level, they do multiplication by repeated addition. Computers nowadays are so fast that it's a minor difference, though.

That six hundreths of a percent may not seem like much, but if you have alot of those tiny things added together, it becomes much noticeable. The fire tree, for instance, has 20% fire damage, and 2x 10% charge damage. Those add up to 40%, but multiply to 45%. Add in the JA boost in the thunder tree, it goes to 50% vs 59%.

So, in other words... I have no idea. I just do the math.

Ana-Chan
Aug 13, 2012, 01:05 PM
Though down on a binary level, or even an assembly level, it's much faster to do addition than multiplication. Down at this level, they do multiplication by repeated addition. Computers nowadays are so fast that it's a minor difference, though.

The thing is, with real numbers involved (the percentages guarantee that there are real numbers), then it is either going to be using the FPU or SSE instructions on the main CPU. The whole addition is much faster than multiplication only really applied to integral instructions, and these days it is also not quite as true because of modern processor architecture (ignoring the crappy P4 netburst architecture).
Anyway, since floating point numbers are done of the FPU or maybe even if they are feeling technically advanced and are using the SSE instructions, doing a single multiplication is normally faster because of the pipelining and instruction reordering and stuff.

MailboxJunkie
Aug 13, 2012, 02:28 PM
I apologize if this has already been answered somewhere, don't feel like digging through posts.

Just wondering what, if any, the difference between these two skills are. Is 2 just more of the same thing? Does it matter how the points are distributed between the 2?

Basically, which would be better:
5 in JA bonus 1 and 10 in JA bonus 2
10 in JA bonus 1 and 5 in JA bonus 2

Or would an even split like 8 in one, 7 in the other be better?

[spoiler-box]
http://i.imgur.com/Ljo7K.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tZl6E.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

This is slightly off-topic, but you DO realize that on the top right hand side of that site there's a check box named Description, and it actually describes each skill level and what it adds? seems like no one uses it.
Try it out.

Mystil
Aug 13, 2012, 06:10 PM
@At those trees. For Tree#1 & 2; 1 point into Fury Critical isn't worth it. Too much S-ATK, you can get all that from your mag. Inflexible tree is inflexible, we have to make every point count or waste money on a reset. Secondly, Step Attack and Just Reversal is nice..but no just guard. In that case, take 7 out of S-ATK and put it all in step advance if you want an evasion build(or go just guard).

You can even forgo fury critical and 7 in S-ATK and do this:

JA Bonus 7(
+2)
Fury Stance 7(+2)

S-DEF(+3)
Just Guard(+1)

This way you keep sword gear, and have more options for damage mitigation, as well as being stronger in Fury Stance overall.

(hope I got that right)

Edit: on the topic at hand, I have JA Bonus 1; 10 and JA Bonus 2; 8.