PDA

View Full Version : speeding up content

hbmizzle10
Aug 13, 2012, 01:30 PM
to all you pso 2 players i have been reading alot of your threads and i've noticed that a majority of you guys have flipped this game inside and out allready(i'm talking about the level cap too) and allready getting bored of it. i'm wondering......is this games content released way too slow? this is the first mmo ive heard about that people get bored of quickly just as the game is released. do you think the game would be more addicting if the content was released more quickly, like on a week by week basis(that can be done by the way) especially the level cap?

Quatre52
Aug 13, 2012, 01:34 PM
To slowly? The games official release has been out a little more than a month, they've raised the cap, added items, added 3 levels, 2 new emergency missions since release. Theres all ready known new class's coming, new weapons coming, another raise of the level cap coming.

This is far more than any other Phantasy Star game has ever had this early in its life, as well as more then most MMO's have this fast...

gigawuts
Aug 13, 2012, 01:35 PM
PSO V1 had a lot more content at release than this game will even after the next update.

That said, I have a feeling they released early and only in September will we actually see what the game was meant to look like at release.

hbmizzle10
Aug 13, 2012, 01:37 PM
i should restate this.........how long till the complete game comes out? and do you think that the game will be complete by the end of this year?

jooozek
Aug 13, 2012, 01:39 PM
i should restate this.........how long till the complete game comes out? and do you think that the game will be complete by the end of this year?
Ultimate isn't even on the roadmap and the roadmap reaches as far as spring 2013 so yeah, hopeful bet is one year from the launch. Kinda halfassed way to do stuff but what can you do.

Quatre52
Aug 13, 2012, 01:41 PM
PSO V1 had a lot more content at release than this game will even after the next update.

That said, I have a feeling they released early and only in September will we actually see what the game was meant to look like at release.

PSO
Forest, Caves, Mines, Ruins.
Each with a couple quests that changed up how much and where things spawned.

PSO2
Forest, Caves, Desert, Tunda, Mines, Islands.
Each with at least 3 or 4 missions
oh, then theres the Time Attacks.

Ignoring missions and quests, in a month, we all ready have 2 more environments then PSO ever had.

PSO had 3 class's. Hunter, Ranger, Force.

PSO2, we have those, and soon will have 3 more.

Kimil Adrayne
Aug 13, 2012, 01:44 PM
I'm not bored with the game per-say, I just slowdown/stopped playing because of the potential ip-Ban. Until I heard about that, I was hunting and grinding away at lvl 40. Now I'm currently in a state of paralyzed inaction.

hbmizzle10
Aug 13, 2012, 01:50 PM
I'm not bored with the game per-say, I just slowdown/stopped playing because of the potential ip-Ban. Until I heard about that, I was hunting and grinding away at lvl 40. Now I'm currently in a state of paralyzed inaction.

u shouldnt let an unknown ip ban, ban you from enjoying the game lol. (see the joke their :) )

Mystil
Aug 13, 2012, 01:50 PM

This. This is what I base my opinion on when it comes to how they run the current games. PSO ver1 only had level restrictions for Normal, hard, and very hard, ultimate. But we could all go to lvl200 right off the bat. I don't know what is the reason for level caps. As for content, yep, everything was there.

I'm not too miffed about the content speed though, the current "rate" is your usual for a JP PS game. Just the level caps I dont like.

Quatre52
Aug 13, 2012, 01:51 PM
This. This is what I base my opinion on when it comes to how they run the current games. PSO ver1 only had level restrictions for Normal, hard, and very hard, ultimate. But we could all go to lvl200 right off the bat. I don't know what is the reason for level caps. As for content, yep, everything was there.

I'm not too miffed about the content speed though, the current "rate" is your usual for a JP PS game. Just the level caps I dont like.

PSO 1's level cap was 100.

Level 200 wasn't until PSO v.2 came out.

Flame
Aug 13, 2012, 01:59 PM
PSO

PSO2

Ignoring missions and quests, in a month, we all ready have 2 more environments then PSO ever had.

that's not quite fair. the way levels are randomized in PSO2 really cheapens each field to the point where they cannot be compared to the dungeons in PSO1. Also I think what the guy meant was that PSO1 was a complete experience. It had fully fleshed out story quests, a full range of items, 4 unique bosses, 3 difficulties, and NO FUCKING LEVEL CAPS

felt like a full meal.

gigawuts
Aug 13, 2012, 02:02 PM
PSO

PSO2

"Ignoring missions"

Ignoring words, a five page book and a five hundred page book have exactly as much content.

And just three classes? So HUcasts could cast techs and RAmars could lay traps?

Valymer
Aug 13, 2012, 02:14 PM

^ This

gravityvx
Aug 13, 2012, 02:28 PM

Thing about this is, while it's very, very true, you have to consider the fact that back then you actually got full games and not half a game to be charged later for dlc for the rest. While this doesn't really apply to mmos, technically psov1 was a full offline game with a complete story, weapons, armor etc and able to go online with friends to co-op in the game. But from an mmo stand point you cannot just throw out the entire game at once, but decent segments to maintain players interests over the months. But I will say that the content for this particular game(pso2) was lacking at first but it's been streaming out new content at a healthy pace, and most of it has been enjoyable.

iTz PooKiie xx
Aug 13, 2012, 02:30 PM
Lol why can't ppl be satisfied? The constant need for stimulation and we already get updates regularly (bi weekly) isn't that good enough???

darkante
Aug 13, 2012, 02:39 PM
I like the rate of progress so far, you can always go and do something else and get back to it.
Donīt see why they should rush things.

Lumpen Thingy
Aug 13, 2012, 02:44 PM
Lol why can't ppl be satisfied? The constant need for stimulation and we already get updates regularly (bi weekly) isn't that good enough???
screw being satisfied with a free to play game that gets weekly updates..... sarcasm

Dan Maku
Aug 13, 2012, 02:47 PM

PSO1 was a retail game, though, and the one major update it got after was a Super Street Fighter-esque update.

PSO2, on the other hand, is a F2P downloadable game. A different species altogether. The content is bound to be a tad skimpy at first, but it will get better in time.

Crevox
Aug 13, 2012, 02:54 PM
Something have you realize about JP online game release schedules.

They release a game early in the development cycle. The game up for play, but the content can be considered... limited, barebones, minimum.

However, they release content at a constant rate after that, having an entire development schedule ahead of time and a lot of the stuff they have planned already nearly finished. SEGA KNOWS what they're going to be releasing every month for -at least- the next 5 months, and probably has milestone dates too.

If you don't like the game in its current state, that's fine, don't play. In the future it will have a lot more content. But, either way, the game is what it is and if you don't like the core then there's not much else that will change your mind.

And if you're one of those people who are butthurt in the level 20-25 range (or even level 20-30), don't worry, that level range does in fact suck and it gets better after that. SEGA isn't just focusing on adding end game content, so expect it to get better.

jooozek
Aug 13, 2012, 02:59 PM
They release a game early in the development cycle. The game up for play, but the content can be considered... limited, barebones, minimum.

No dude, it wasn't released early. They started developing it in 2008 haha

And what are those updates good? If you are already at level cap they do nothing to you unless you want to waste time hunting rares (which drop rates is bugged as of currently :D).

screw being satisfied with a free to play game that gets weekly updates..... sarcasm

Indeed, thankfully it's a F2P game, would rage hard if they enforced having to pay for the premium set monthly to just play. There is nothing to do in this game to justify subscribing.

BahnKnakyu
Aug 13, 2012, 03:03 PM
to all you pso 2 players i have been reading alot of your threads and i've noticed that a majority of you guys have flipped this game inside and out allready(i'm talking about the level cap too) and allready getting bored of it. i'm wondering......is this games content released way too slow? this is the first mmo ive heard about that people get bored of quickly just as the game is released. do you think the game would be more addicting if the content was released more quickly, like on a week by week basis(that can be done by the way) especially the level cap?

Similar thing happened with SWTOR - lots of people hit cap pretty quickly and they kinda... ran out of stuff to do.

And yeah, nothing wrong with SOJ's content release schedule. It's more a problem of players who are extremely addicted playing the game and rushing to cap expecting something to be there in only a MONTH of the game's infancy. I guess that's also a fault of the game - it's relatively easy to level, but I've been taking it easy and just playing an hour or two a day so I don't hit the content barrier so quickly.

Good luck getting that type of support on PSO2 US/EU.

Crevox
Aug 13, 2012, 03:07 PM
No dude, it wasn't released early. They started developing it in 2008 haha

You don't know how long games take to develop? And like I said, they already have a lot of future content in development from a long time ago. You see all the new techs are already done visually and everything, simply unreleased? You see the music files, the artwork, of areas that haven't even been announced?

It's not like I'm guessing this, I have development experience in a corporate environment working with projects, release schedules, etc.

I guess that's also a fault of the game - it's relatively easy to level,

Depends on the person. I would kind of agree, but others are stuck at 16-30 and are like "it takes too lonngggg..." It simply depends on whether or not the person playing is enjoying the game and doing the proper quests and all of that. To someone that makes it feel like a grind, it will be a grind... but if they are having fun, then it just cruises.

jooozek
Aug 13, 2012, 03:08 PM
I don't see your point, you are saying that it's fine they are slowly releasing stuff that they've done years ago? Really now?

Crevox
Aug 13, 2012, 03:11 PM
I don't see your point, you are saying that it's fine they are slowly releasing stuff that they've done years ago? Really now?

Yes, I am. Also, being "done" doesn't mean it's gone through QA, that it's been polished, or even that they're ready to release it. I'm sure some stuff is really done and HAS done all that, but releasing it slowly over time gives the game life.

If they released it all right now, everyone would play the content, quit, and then we won't see new content for quite a while. Releasing it slowly, staying ahead of schedule, developing new content concurrently... yes, that is smart. It's more healthy for the game and also helps keep a steady profit.

jooozek
Aug 13, 2012, 03:17 PM
Yes, I am. Also, being "done" doesn't mean it's gone through QA, that it's been polished, or even that they're ready to release it. I'm sure some stuff is really done and has done all that, but releasing it slowly over time gives the game life.

If they released it all right now, everyone would play the content, quit, and then we won't see new content for quite a while. Releasing it slowly, staying ahead of schedule, developing new content concurrently... yes, that is smart. It's more healthy for the game and also helps keep a steady profit.

Come on, just look at the floating island turds, most of it is just reskins, save for the flying lizards and the quartz dragon. If polishing turds like that takes them so long then I'm really concerned what does it take to make new content :-? What I know is that Ship2 is pretty much empty for most time, even during japanese prime times (5PM-11PM JST) save for the lvl30-40 blocks.

eharima
Aug 13, 2012, 03:21 PM

Thats a subjective opinion, but a common business practice.
How do you propose they run and release the game content?

Crevox
Aug 13, 2012, 03:22 PM
Come on, just look at the floating island turds, most of it is just reskins, save for the flying lizards and the quartz dragon. If polishing turds like that takes them so long then I'm really concerned what does it take to make new content :-? What I know is that Ship2 is pretty much empty for most time, even during japanese prime times (5PM-11PM JST) save for the lvl30-40 blocks.

People are spread across ALL blocks. The people in the 30-40 blocks are the ones that actually care to party up and optimize their runs in the new content. Regardless of that, I really don't know what relevance this comment has.

The "monsters" in the floating island are mostly re-textures yes, but there are new models as well (and animations). The entire area is also new, along with the new weapon drops, and entirely new boss AI (it's not a copy), weather, mechanics, etc.

You may not like the content SEGA puts out, that's fine. If it doesn't meet your "quality standard" you don't have to play. Regardless of that, we have no idea how long it took SEGA to make that content, and it doesn't matter. They chose to release it now, and this is the content we have until the new 50 cap, very hard mode, etc. They felt it satisfactory, I do too, and if you don't, that's fine.

If you're one of the people stuck at 40 and are butthurt that there's nothing more to do, you can only blame yourself for playing the game so much that you ran out of content. I'm 40 but I really don't mind, if I want to play there's plenty of stuff I could go and do.

Garatheus
Aug 13, 2012, 03:24 PM
This game has nothing in common with PSO1, in terms of innovation, keeping in mind the release dates. The only thing that made me keep playing was the hope to regain the feeling I had ten years ago. Sure, the fact that these two games are not only different in quality but in gameplay didn't help, but PSO2 is nothing more than a social game, which aim is to entertain, at best, one week in a month. Usual players of F2P won't be annoyed as they already used to play several games "at the same time".

Without relevance to the main subject, the music in PSO 2 is among the very worsts I have ever listened to in a video game.

Pointy Cat
Aug 13, 2012, 03:24 PM
I don't think the problem is content so much, though I would like to see more done with the zones we already have. Oh and 20 - 30 content needs to be tweaked.

To me the problem is the level cap. PSO isn't WoW where there is a proper end game, PSO was always about that long hard level grind - and I used the word grind in a good way. Back on PSO Ep1&2 the journey to level 200 was what mattered, not what you could do when you got there. In PSO2 many of us have hit that EXP FULL wall and to be honest I personally hate it. I want that carrot of leveling, constantly leveling.

Not to say the level cap should be level 200 already. I don't know what it should be, but I know that number is higher than 40. But it also doesn't help that with things like PSE Bursts we can get levels in a very short amount of time. PSE Burts are great fun but personally I feel the exp bonus from them should be nerfed. (and drop rate bonus buffed =P)

Bottom line is leveling gives you a goal. Sure you can grind MPA's for that rare you want, but you're never actually making any progress on finding it. It could drop on your first run or twenty first run. If your goal is a difficult (time consuming) to obtain level then every time you play you feel like you're making progress. This is the carrot which I am really surprised Sega isn't using more. Content updates are great but without that carrot people will get bored quicker, and bored people don't spend AC.

Crevox
Aug 13, 2012, 03:26 PM
Bottom line is leveling gives you a goal.

Leveling simply should've taken longer. Right now you can pass up so many quests, matter boards, and other things because by ensuring you do them all you end up overleveling everything.

But, for a lot of people, slowing it down would be worse, because they don't care about all that.

Flame
Aug 13, 2012, 03:27 PM
have you guys ever worked for a company before? I guarantee that the floating islands level was finished only days before release. As for everyone saying that the game has been in development since 2008, I once again promise that ACTUAL DEVELOPMENT probably only happened in the past year or so. Which leaves 3 years of tests, conceptual ideas, and general goofing off? You better believe it.

Bael
Aug 13, 2012, 03:30 PM
LOL, honestly.....
I'm not concerned with other players experience, only my own.
It's not segas fault they can play 6+ hours a day and run out of stuff to do.
updates are kinda on the fast side for me, already.
I only get to play a few hours a day at most.
I'm lvl 40 and still have tons left to do.

eharima
Aug 13, 2012, 03:32 PM
6+ ...
Sure is casual in here...

jooozek
Aug 13, 2012, 03:34 PM
If you're one of the people stuck at 40 and are butthurt that there's nothing more to do, you can only blame yourself for playing the game so much that you ran out of content. I'm 40 but I really don't mind, if I want to play there's plenty of stuff I could go and do.

"butthurt"

So being dissatified with a shitty service is being butthurt now? The more you know...
And please do tell, just what is that "plenty of stuff" you could be doing right now? Hunting for rares that will become useless when Very Hard rolls out? Oh, my sides.

Just because you don't mind, doesn't mean I don't have to either.

It's not segas fault they can play 6+ hours a day and run out of stuff to do.

I like how you say that when you can cap in just 60 hours.

eharima
Aug 13, 2012, 03:38 PM
Jooozek can I have your meseta please? It sounds ilks your quitting.

Valymer
Aug 13, 2012, 03:39 PM
"butthurt"

So being dissatified with a shitty service is being butthurt now? The more you know...
And please do tell, just what is that "plenty of stuff" you could be doing right now? Hunting for rares that will become useless when Very Hard rolls out? Oh, my sides.

Don't waste your breath, some people are fine with mediocre quality.

jooozek
Aug 13, 2012, 03:40 PM
Jooozek can I have your meseta please? It sounds ilks your quitting.

Sadly, Dodo took all my meseta, no meseta for you.

Crevox
Aug 13, 2012, 03:44 PM

If you don't want to play, don't. No one is twisting your arm. Bye bye.

jooozek
Aug 13, 2012, 03:45 PM
If you don't want to play, don't. No one is twisting your arm. Bye bye.

Oh, I want to play, but there is nothing to do in this game when you hit the seriously low level cap. How can you not understand this?

Cyrillic
Aug 13, 2012, 04:20 PM
If the game is currently 'incomplete' and released early...

then i hope the NA version releases at a state closer to the current. Why release incomplete when it doesn't need to?

Coatl
Aug 13, 2012, 04:30 PM
People don't realize that the only thing left to do in PSO2 after reaching cap is waste your money and tears affixing your gear and farm for rares. I'm not bored of it really. I face every boss with the hope that I will obtain their soul affix and have Doo Doo refurbish it into my weapons, or crush it to pieces. Usually its the latter. But during that time I enjoyed myself. I'm the kind of person who loves hunting for rares and stuff, so replay value is stretched by a lot.

It's not for everyone though.
I don't blame the lv40s for getting bored.

Ogni-XR21
Aug 13, 2012, 04:34 PM
This is the carrot which I am really surprised Sega isn't using more. Content updates are great but without that carrot people will get bored quicker, and bored people don't spend AC.

Bored people might decide on starting a new class, thus getting a new mag and therefore might actually start spending AC in the first place.

And everyone complaining about PSO2 not being a "full game" was probably just playig Forest, Mines and Ruins in PSO1 all the time - just like me.

Honestly, if you are bored with the game just take a break and come back once more content is available and the level cap has been raised. After all it's F2P so you won't be paying when you're taking a break.

Ueno54
Aug 13, 2012, 04:39 PM
I love rare hunting too. What kills the fun for me is leveling my ranger. Sega needs to figure a better way to handle that dry spell in the 20's. All I want to do is fight the harder bosses and what I'm being given is daily quests or grinding.

supersonix9
Aug 13, 2012, 04:47 PM

I'd wait 'til the end of the year when the supposed 'Darker area' comes out, since that's probably end-game for the main storyline. If the main storyline isn't complete, then I'm not going to judge it as a finished game.

I still treat this game under the impression that the game developers said 'Hey, the parts we developed are playable, so why not make them open to the public just because?' and just wanted to let people play it before it's even done.

pikachief
Aug 13, 2012, 05:22 PM
To slowly? The games official release has been out a little more than a month, they've raised the cap, added items, added 3 levels, 2 new emergency missions since release. Theres all ready known new class's coming, new weapons coming, another raise of the level cap coming.

This is far more than any other Phantasy Star game has ever had this early in its life, as well as more then most MMO's have this fast...

I just want to say that the game released with the level cap at 40 :)

Cyrusnagisa
Aug 13, 2012, 05:29 PM
......why are people basing this on PSO V1? that is just stupid.....

PSO v1 had to have all its stuff on the disk at launch, and then after then little stuff was released here and there through updates and what little they could jam on the VMU, what makes you think that would still apply here? Now content is MADE then released, instead of being on disk, the game is barley a month old..... and you want to moan about no content and slow updates?

This is always a problem with games like this, people like me, don't have a problem, we play the game at a normal pace and enjoy it. Then you have people who live and breath the game, get everything there is to offer done in a matter of weeks, then complain about no content.

Angelo
Aug 13, 2012, 05:30 PM

If you play the game like a min-maxer.

It took me about 140 hours to get to 40 at an enjoyable pace.

PSO v1 had to have all its stuff on the disk at launch, and then after then little stuff was released here and there through updates and what little they could jam on the VMU, what makes you think that would still apply here? Now content is MADE then released, instead of being on disk, the game is barley a month old..... and you want to moan about no content and slow updates?

This is always a problem with games like this, people like me, don't have a problem, we play the game at a normal pace and enjoy it. Then you have people who live and breath the game, get everything there is to offer done in a matter of weeks, then complain about no content.

This is pretty much how I feel about the subject.

It's like when you go shopping for the week and then someone eats all the food in two days and then blames the person who went to store for there being no food in the house.

It's like living with stoners.

DonMakaveli
Aug 13, 2012, 05:41 PM
Well some people eat more than others but i agree. Anyway SEGA surely has statistics on the average level of players i think they will release the cap for lvl 50 before the september sub classes update otherwise i think they might indeed lose a bunch of players

gigawuts
Aug 13, 2012, 05:47 PM
I like all the defensive posts with regard to comparing to PSO v1.

There was another thread recently where people were saying PSO2 has exactly as much content as PSO v1, and nobody had a response for the lack of an equivalent to the quests at the guild counter in that thread either.

I guess now the automatic defensive reaction has gone from "IT'S THE SAME" to "OF COURSE IT'S NOT THE SAME."

FOnewearl-Lina
Aug 13, 2012, 05:48 PM

Because they've been living under a rock for 10 years and fail to realize that nobody releases games complete these days.
Comparing development of modern day MMOs to those of 10 years past is just stupid, you can't release any extra content that isn't already on the disc for starters let alone bugfixing...

Cyrusnagisa
Aug 13, 2012, 05:49 PM
Well some people eat more than others but i agree. Anyway SEGA surely has statistics on the average level of players i think they will release the cap for lvl 50 before the september sub classes update otherwise i think they might indeed lose a bunch of players

and get them back right after the next update, and loose them again, and then get them back after that update....... it is what those type of people do.

I would rather Sega cater to the casual then the hardcore on this game, as time is needed to release quality updates.

Mystil
Aug 13, 2012, 05:50 PM
PSO 1's level cap was 100.

Level 200 wasn't until PSO v.2 came out.

How embarrassing of me to forget like that haha..

But yeah, even then, nothing stopped us from getting to 100 at any pace we choose.

With level caps, there's the annoying urge to rush to the cap..

I like all the defensive posts with regard to comparing to PSO v1.

There was another thread recently where people were saying PSO2 has exactly as much content as PSO v1, and nobody had a response for the lack of an equivalent to the quests at the guild counter in that thread either.

I guess now the automatic defensive reaction has gone from "IT'S THE SAME" to "OF COURSE IT'S NOT THE SAME."

At the present time I agree that ver1 does, but that's just right now(but I got tired of spamming ruins over and over again in ver1, and in GC later was TTF which wasn't even enjoyable. No one cared anymore about Phantasmal World).

Cyrusnagisa
Aug 13, 2012, 05:50 PM
Because they've been living under a rock for 10 years and fail to realize that nobody releases games complete these days.
Comparing development of modern day MMOs to those of 10 years past is just stupid, you can't release any extra content that isn't already on the disc for starters let alone bugfixing...

your sig is cute and awesome ;p

FOnewearl-Lina
Aug 13, 2012, 05:56 PM
your sig is cute and awesome ;p

Thanks, kinda irrelevant now that PSU servers are going down though.

Zyrusticae
Aug 13, 2012, 06:07 PM
With level caps, there's the annoying urge to rush to the cap..
This is ENTIRELY a personal problem and is the real crux of the issue here.

Like I've said before in other threads, there is literally no game on the planet that can keep you entertained indefinitely (otherwise, obviously, you wouldn't be here playing PSO2 now, would you?). You have to temper your expectations and be realistic about things, pace yourself, don't be a no-lifer, etc.

Even if you only spend a hundred hours on the game, that is TREMENDOUS value per dollar (re: 0, unless you're like me and spend $100 on character slots, skill trees, character remodeling, and inventory space - but you don't HAVE to do this). And updates are free.

I really don't think anyone has a leg to stand on when complaining about "content".

Laxedrane
Aug 13, 2012, 06:10 PM
Right now the only problem I have with sega choice in updating is the way they released areas.(Why released areas for 30 to 40 only over the course of a month when hitting the cap is effortless.) And the fact there's no normal mode for the higher level areas(Easily could of filled that 25-30 gap that everyone hates by having it be normal mode tundra followed by normal mode mines with floating continent being around the same level as hard tundra. Even if you require to clear it on hard mode first it would really help with that second play through.)

Also wish a wider variety of outfits were available already but that's a minor complaint.

Other than that I really have no complaint about the current progression of the game. It is, so far really surprisingly in line with pso if you look at it.(Very hard at 40, 40 to 80 was suppose to be the very hard levels [to 100 if you play v1] and ultimate was 80-200)

Also I suspect the lack of info in next year road map is becuase they only including a bullet point for it so people could see when the version on other platforms would be going out. Not an outline of specific content. I suspect at the end of the year we will get a fresh content road map.

Mystil
Aug 13, 2012, 06:37 PM
stuff said
Can't disagree with you there but I'll say this: I'm quite proud to "no-life" this game. Some many MMOs in my "career" and I never thought one would come along that would grab my attention more or almost as much as FFXI did. Well done.

Quatre52
Aug 13, 2012, 07:59 PM
that's not quite fair. the way levels are randomized in PSO2 really cheapens each field to the point where they cannot be compared to the dungeons in PSO1. Also I think what the guy meant was that PSO1 was a complete experience. It had fully fleshed out story quests, a full range of items, 4 unique bosses, 3 difficulties, and NO FUCKING LEVEL CAPS

felt like a full meal.

Randomized levels actually adds more variations to the levels we have, instead of 2 or 3 set maps that never changed to run over and over, we get random maps, that can be different then what we usually see adding extra variables to each mission.

Level caps cant be compared here, PSO1 was a retail console game, PSO2 is a F2P pc game, the way F2P games work is by releasing more content over time to keep people playing and buying.

"Ignoring missions"

Ignoring words, a five page book and a five hundred page book have exactly as much content.

And just three classes? So HUcasts could cast techs and RAmars could lay traps?

No, I dont believe traps were around in PSO 1, they showed up in PSO v2 with C-Mode if I remember right.

Also, that statement gives more credit to PSO2, as theres that many more options on how to build your character.

condiments
Aug 13, 2012, 08:42 PM
PSO2 is a good game, but I can't help but be underwhelmed by what I've played so far.

I think there are more problems to this game besides sheer content(boring skill trees, banal art direction, character building is less interesting, etc.), but I think the game would have benefited greatly if it had released with all the classes, level 50 cap, and very hard difficulty mode.

Renzer
Aug 13, 2012, 08:58 PM
Considering this is a free to play game, and we're not locked out of everything (free to play players can't fully access our rooms and shops without getting lucky at the fun scratch), I think PSO2 is just fine in terms of amount of content right now.

Hell we can still buy AC scratch items from player shops with meseta which I think is damn awesome and surprising of SEGA to allow that. It's how I got my Agriff and colossus set for my RAcast.

Flame
Aug 13, 2012, 09:49 PM
Randomized levels actually adds more variations to the levels we have, instead of 2 or 3 set maps that never changed to run over and over, we get random maps, that can be different then what we usually see adding extra variables to each mission.

It's the same 3 or 4 rooms copy and pasted over and over. Variation my ass. I have literally walked by the same magma waterfall room three times in a row while doing a free caves run. They can hardly even be called levels as that implies some form of design or intention. Have you ever spawned into a map, traversed it for 20 min looking for the exit only to find that it was in the path right next to where you started? Like if you took the first path on your left and walked 5 ft you would have found it? That's horrid level design. It's like they weren't even trying.

But putting that all aside, the sheer difference in content field wise should be enough to convince you. Think of all the wonderfully unique areas and iconic set pieces that were housed within each ver1 dungeon. PSO2's levels are tiny and unimaginative by comparison.

Ezodagrom
Aug 13, 2012, 10:36 PM
@Those complaining about having nothing to do once you reach the lvl cap:
There's plenty of things that can be done once a player reaches the lvl cap, just because some of you don't do them doesn't mean they aren't there, other than rare hunting or afixing, there's things like doing client orders or completing the matterboards.

If some are thinking that the pace of updates is slow for the japanese version, I don't even want to know what they'll think about the pace of updates for the english version.

NoiseHERO
Aug 13, 2012, 10:40 PM
What about that one time Sakai was all "And for you people that reached the level cap with nothing to do..."

Personally like one guy said randomly in some other thread. Until advanced/sub-classes and the 5 weapon types come out. This game may as well still be in it's beta/development phase. D:

But Even though waiting for ANYTHING for ANY amount of time is annoying. September is RIGHT there. and I think we get updates at a fair consistent rate. Player's coming from PSU that sat around for a year long content drought should be complaining the least.

Totori
Aug 13, 2012, 11:21 PM
Also do take into effect they are working with a budget. To finish everything is quite a lot of time invested, the game hasn't been out for more than a year, and people are already complaining.

It's not that hard to see that this game outclassed PSO from launch date, bringing in more detail, better battle system, top notch customization then PSO could ever have imagined. Just wait to see how expanded this game will become around this time next year.

EvilMag
Aug 13, 2012, 11:22 PM
I can't go back to PSO after playing PSO2.

Cyrusnagisa
Aug 13, 2012, 11:25 PM
if only they took the clothing parts idea from PSU, with the body customiztion of PS02..... I kind of dislike the outfit=whole body thing, other then that I think PSo2 launched very well, and hope the overseas version gets better treatment this time around.

NoiseHERO
Aug 13, 2012, 11:31 PM
if only they took the clothing parts idea from PSU, with the body customiztion of PS02..... I kind of dislike the outfit=whole body thing, other then that I think PSo2 launched very well, and hope the overseas version gets better treatment this time around.

I definitely agree with the 3 piece outfit thing.

But I think they kind of make up for it with the accessories and units overlapping with the character creation in general... So you can still make a MOSTLY original looking outfit, and so far everyone still looks different even if they're wearing the same clothes.

But it still bugs me that casts have 3-piece outfits and fleshies are stuck with 1-piece one. Maybe they'll do something about that after some major update...

Totori
Aug 13, 2012, 11:35 PM
I think they should have just stuck with idea of clothes having defense points, hehe. People wouldn't have liked that.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 14, 2012, 12:02 AM
Didn't read past 1st three posts, sue me, anyway, i heard that the new classes and subclasses will have level requirements to use (such as level 30 ranger for whatever) anyway, ima guess that some of these classes may need more then just one of the base classes at a certain level, such as whatever they're gonna call PSO2 version of guntecher may need level 30 ranger and force, all i can say is level your other classes too, and if you already did that, maybe your putting too many hours into video games you NEET (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEET) vampires+^_^+

Totori
Aug 14, 2012, 12:07 AM
It was confirmed you would need the one class at level 30. Leveling is time consuming but getting lucky with code spawns and client orders. You can really jump levels.

Zyrusticae
Aug 14, 2012, 12:42 AM
if only they took the clothing parts idea from PSU, with the body customiztion of PS02..... I kind of dislike the outfit=whole body thing
Yeah...

What's funny is that Capcom did this a LOT better with Dragon's Dogma (not an online RPG, but it plays surprisingly closely to PSO2 in many ways), as it actually has seven clothing slots - head, chest, chest underclothes, arms, legs, feet, and cloak/shoulders (with an accessory slot that could show rings should you choose to wear one, but otherwise didn't do much). You can do a lot with that kind of variability. I find it kind of strange that PSO2 went backwards in this regard.

Still, the outfits are more cohesive for it - can you imagine mixing the Humar outfit with anything else? Not sure how that'd work, if it'd work at all. I can only hope we see the variety increase dramatically as time goes on (and dammit, I want to see some freakin' abs! Not just on the swimsuit!).

Galerianx
Aug 14, 2012, 12:48 AM
been on from start of open beta lv31 taking my time no need too rush becos wen you rush and do everything you have nothing to do in the end :-?

GoldenFalcon
Aug 14, 2012, 12:50 AM
anyway, i heard that the new classes and subclasses will have level requirements to use (such as level 30 ranger for whatever) anyway, ima guess that some of these classes may need more then just one of the base classes at a certain level, such as whatever they're gonna call PSO2 version of guntecher may need level 30 ranger and force, all i can say is level your other classes too, and if you already did that, maybe your putting too many hours into video games you NEET (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEET) vampires+^_^+

Would need to have ranger 30 and force 30 to unlock both Gunner and Techer, then you could level up both of those before the subclass update, and have Gunner/Techer and Techer/Gunner
If they let the base classes be subclassable and/or have a subclass, that's even more options

FOnewearl-Lina
Aug 14, 2012, 01:01 AM
as it actually has seven clothing slots - head, chest, chest underclothes, arms, legs, feet, and cloak/shoulders (with an accessory slot that could show rings should you choose to wear one, but otherwise didn't do much).

No! Can you imagine how evil that would make scratch if you had to collect 7 rare items to make a full set of clothing?

Actually you don't have to imagine, just go play some f2p Korean game and it's there...

NoiseHERO
Aug 14, 2012, 01:02 AM
No! Can you imagine how evil that would make scratch if you had to collect 7 rare items to make a full set of clothing?

Actually you don't have to imagine, just go play some f2p Korean game and it's there...

2 DOLLARS FOR A WRIST BAND! MADE UP OF 22 PIXELS!!

I spent 35 dollars on a 32-bit graphic bobbled headed chibi!

Bitches be hatin' on my swag and timed outfits.

Crimson Exile
Aug 14, 2012, 01:13 AM
The stuff we have now is fine to me. Haven't gotten bored yet.

TimelessDbz
Aug 14, 2012, 08:42 AM
For those who are saying there's nothing to do once cap. Let's evaluate your character.
1. Do you have high elemental % weapons?

2. Do you have high level PAs?

3. Do you have best unit in the game that compliments your character build?

Now be honest to yourself when you answer those simple question. You play the game 24/7 and rush to the lvl cap but If you cap you better be an awesome 40 because I HATE seeing lvl 30s out damage a lvl 40. Just shows that the lvl 40 is rushing to lvl cap and being carry through dugeons.

Jakosifer
Aug 14, 2012, 08:45 AM
no but i have fury stance at lvl 10 am i pro yet

jooozek
Aug 14, 2012, 09:13 AM
For those who are saying there's nothing to do once cap. Let's evaluate your character.

Now be honest to yourself when you answer those simple question. You play the game 24/7 and rush to the lvl cap but If you cap you better be an awesome 40 because I HATE seeing lvl 30s out damage a lvl 40. Just shows that the lvl 40 is rushing to lvl cap and being carry through dugeons.
1. Yeah, I'm totally gonna waste millions to make my Garland have 50 attribute, no, really :rolleyes:

2. Obviously no, no point overpaying for stuff that will become obsolete in next month and won't even serve me now.

3. Obviously no, no point overpaying for stuff that will become obsolete in next month and won't even serve me now.

If you like to waste meseta then go ahead, be my guest. I see no purpose in getting stuff that will be basically massively inferior to whatever comes out when very hard rolls out.

DonMakaveli
Aug 14, 2012, 09:23 AM
What about that one time Sakai was all "And for you people that reached the level cap with nothing to do..."

Personally like one guy said randomly in some other thread. Until advanced/sub-classes and the 5 weapon types come out. This game may as well still be in it's beta/development phase. D:

But Even though waiting for ANYTHING for ANY amount of time is annoying. September is RIGHT there. and I think we get updates at a fair consistent rate. Player's coming from PSU that sat around for a year long content drought should be complaining the least.

Players coming from PSU also had plenty of lobbies and 3 planets from the start, also you forget what's most important on PSU that should have been on PSO2. On PSU you had to level your p.a.'s oh you want lvl 40 bullets? well you'll be using them for the next 2 weeks. PSU always had something to do.

Vashyron
Aug 14, 2012, 09:25 AM
Major point on why I don't bother with equipment isn't really that we will be getting better stuff later, as we always will.

It's more that it's not needed at all, the game is easy enough.

Crysteon
Aug 14, 2012, 09:51 AM

1.- High elemental % is trivial atm, but it's better than non-attribute. So, no...I wouldnt go to the extreme of 50%ing a 9* weapon just to see less than 5% damage output increase.

2.- All my important PAs are 10. That's cake to achieve for any player.

3.- Yes, I do. I dont mind having the top units with proper affixes, and I'm aware there might be better units once new difficulties come out.

4.- Nope, I dont play 24/7 and I havent seen a Lv30 outdamage me so far.

Can I has a cookie now? :raisins:

TimelessDbz
Aug 14, 2012, 10:41 AM
1. Yeah, I'm totally gonna waste millions to make my Garland have 50 attribute, no, really :rolleyes:

2. Obviously no, no point overpaying for stuff that will become obsolete in next month and won't even serve me now.

3. Obviously no, no point overpaying for stuff that will become obsolete in next month and won't even serve me now.

If you like to waste meseta then go ahead, be my guest. I see no purpose in getting stuff that will be basically massively inferior to whatever comes out when very hard rolls out.

Who ever said you had to pay?

gigawuts
Aug 14, 2012, 10:42 AM
You pay with either time or meseta, because who the hell finds enough of the same actually rare rare to get 50% element in three runs?

So, you did.

TimelessDbz
Aug 14, 2012, 10:44 AM
Just out of curiosity why are some people saying there's no point in getting gear if there just going to be better weapons later?

They put new weapons in almost every update. Now in most mmo's usually they do that so the player can get it enhance and stuff so they will have a easier time in later dungeons instead taking 20mins to do it,

gigawuts
Aug 14, 2012, 10:46 AM
Exactly how fast do you make tens of millions of meseta such that you feel getting +50% on the most expensive rares is a viable thing to do in 30 days, every 30 days?

jooozek
Aug 14, 2012, 10:47 AM
Who ever said you had to pay?

Since it didn't get through your skull:
Garland is a rod.

TimelessDbz
Aug 14, 2012, 10:54 AM
I wish i can make that much mesta lol. What I am saying is im pretty sure players have stuff to do once cap.

gigawuts
Aug 14, 2012, 10:57 AM
I don't think running the exact same content over and over and over and over really counts, but then people say that's what we did in PSO1 as though there weren't any different quests to do.

Just because some people had fun with the same quest doesn't mean everyone did. Some of us mixed up our quests and hunts frequently. Not to mention that once you had a rare, you had it and the new goal was not to get another 25 of it. No, the new goal was to hunt for whatever else you damn well pleased wherever else you damn well pleased - maybe you wanted the same rare with more hit. Maybe you didn't. Either way, you didn't find something that only performed about about 50% of its best efficiency.

TimelessDbz
Aug 14, 2012, 11:07 AM
How many times have you run Amduscia?

TimelessDbz
Aug 14, 2012, 11:09 AM
For a free to play mmo I think the rate of which content is release is very fast.

hbmizzle10
Aug 15, 2012, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=Crevox;2838750]Yes, I am. Also, being "done" doesn't mean it's gone through QA, that it's been polished, or even that they're ready to release it. I'm sure some stuff is really done and HAS done all that, but releasing it slowly over time gives the game life.

If they released it all right now, everyone would play the content, quit, and then we won't see new content for quite a while. Releasing it slowly, staying ahead of schedule, developing new content concurrently... yes, that is smart. It's more healthy for the game and also helps keep a steady profit.[/QUOlet

let me get this straight.........
the game has been in devolopment for 4 years and this is the game they released.....are you serious? by that time they should already been completed this
game, it shouldn't take four years to released a half done mmo only to release content on a monthly basis, which isn't a lot. anyways releasing content depends on what genre, the sales of the game itself, and popular demand.
mmos are a little different. content should be released a month by month basis just to keep people with an incentive to keep playing. with an exception to the rules, pso 2 should release content much quicker mostly because the game is not even finished to begin with. the bad thing about it(in my opinion) is that they release content in a month and it isn't a lot. really?

hbmizzle10
Aug 15, 2012, 02:30 PM
If the game is currently 'incomplete' and released early...

then i hope the NA version releases at a state closer to the current. Why release incomplete when it doesn't need to?

thats actually a good point. im afraid they might do the same.

hbmizzle10
Aug 15, 2012, 02:35 PM

and your fine with that?! as a player you deserve better than that

BahnKnakyu
Aug 15, 2012, 08:10 PM
Not to say the level cap should be level 200 already. I don't know what it should be, but I know that number is higher than 40. But it also doesn't help that with things like PSE Bursts we can get levels in a very short amount of time. PSE Burts are great fun but personally I feel the exp bonus from them should be nerfed. (and drop rate bonus buffed =P).

I strongly disagree with the sentiment that "because PSO did it, PSO2 should do it too". Especially when it comes to leveling. I'm cruising by and enjoying the game, and I like the fact that I don't feel like I'm TOO far behind the people who spend 19031809358109385 hours on the game. I'm 35 RA and 32 HU and most of that was gotten from just jumping around parties and playing in random quests and the occasional Multiparty Emergency Mission. 20-25 didn't feel like a grind because I blew through it thanks to the 500 pt Mop Up mission.

I really don't want this to turn into that shitfest that is FF XIV where they think making everything grindy is the way to go. That drove me away from the game and from the looks of that XIV trailer and the direction the changes to the game is taking, they're going to stick to that route.

I understand that it's also bad to make it TOO easy to level, but I think the current pace is fine where it is. I honestly think people just have to take it easy since this is a F2P game - there is no pressure for you to hit cap so quickly. I do think Sega should be releasing additional content to give the endgame guys something to do, but at the same time, this is only the first month of the game people.

Also if you think I'm being apologetic to Sega, I've made countless posts about their ridiculous AC Premium model and SoA's poor treatment of PSOBB and PSU, so please no accusations there.