PDA

View Full Version : How does PSO2 hold up to psportable 2(infinity)

Agitated_AT
Aug 13, 2012, 04:50 PM
Ever since PSO2 has released, I've been having a blast. However the format is just so different from any pso game. It's taken inspiration from both pso and psu, but also has alot of new concepts which... some of them I find rather questionable.

Now I don't wanna go into details about the concepts, I just simply wanna ask a simple question.

Psportable 2 is really one of the best pso experiences i've had in the past and I thought it did everything better than anything that came before it. I'd argue that that pso2 is better than psu and psportable 1, but lately i've been doubting wether it's better than psportable 2.
)
I'm taking the easy way out and figured why not ask it to you guys ;). so tell me what ya think

supersonix9
Aug 13, 2012, 04:51 PM
One is a complete game, and one is not yet complete.

Can't really judge yet.

Agitated_AT
Aug 13, 2012, 04:55 PM
One is a complete game, and one is not yet complete.

Can't really judge yet.

Then use your brains and try to make a fair and logical comparison. I would suggest compare part of psportable 2's content to the whole of pso2's. Or just simply the experience of going through a dungeon. The thrill factor, the challenge, the satisfaction and so on. It's possible if you don't restrain yourself too much.

eharima
Aug 13, 2012, 04:59 PM
Surly won't this comparison be better when android psvita ports come out...

funkyskunk
Aug 13, 2012, 05:00 PM
The fact you have to pay for scape dolls has meant a decreased death count so things seem a little too easy sometimes then you try to solo bosses and the scale flips.

One thing I specifically am not liking is the fact that the hunts all seem to be about looking for bursts rather than learning the best places to look for certain enemies. Rare hunting has changed a bit too much maybe? Bursts also get very boring I think and become more of a button mashing session rather than seriously trying to kill stuff strategically.

I totally see where you are coming from.

Shakuri
Aug 13, 2012, 05:01 PM
PSP2i (especially vanilla) is definitely more challenging, even in the beginning. There are some aspects of PSP2i's combat that I prefer as well, such as every class being able to block, and abilities not being tied to skill trees, so you avoid getting crap you really don't want. PSO2's combat is arguably more fun depending on your class, I prefer PSP2i Ranger, but PSO2 Hunter and Force are much more fun to play for me here, even with the lack of variety. Though with PSP2i you have so much freaking freedom and can pretty much do whatever you want on any class, along with the Rebirth system...

PSP2i has more costume customization, and the costumes you can shell out real cash for are cheap and you actually get what you pay for. Also don't have to spend real cash to change your characters proportions or their damn hair color, so that's nice too.

All in all though, I prefer PSP2i, but as said it's a complete game anyway. So a complete comparison won't be happening anytime soon. Even then, I'll probably still find PSP2i to be the best anyway. lol probably, no doubt there actually.

Shadowth117
Aug 13, 2012, 05:21 PM
The fact you have to pay for scape dolls has meant a decreased death count so things seem a little too easy sometimes then you try to solo bosses and the scale flips.

One thing I specifically am not liking is the fact that the hunts all seem to be about looking for bursts rather than learning the best places to look for certain enemies. Rare hunting has changed a bit too much maybe? Bursts also get very boring I think and become more of a button mashing session rather than seriously trying to kill stuff strategically.

I totally see where you are coming from.

Awww, you don't like boss soloing? I was hoping they'd make those harder actually. And yeah overall the enemies aren't messing you up as bad as they could be right now. Maybe next difficulty rank?

I will admit I'd rather hunt for rare enemies than PSE Burst all day, but is not too bad to me. One thing that would be cool is if they put increased drop rates on enemies in the enemy ranking or something.

Angelo
Aug 13, 2012, 05:26 PM
In terms of gameplay, PSO2 is much more fun and infinitely more entertaining. It feels like much thought and care went into it than the PSPortable games which were basically their way of saving the PSU franchise.

In terms of content, Infinity wins. But this is because it's the very last tail-end game to the PSU franchise, it has loads of maps, bosses, weapons, clothing, etc.

Sinue_v2
Aug 13, 2012, 05:27 PM
Though with PSP2i you have so much freaking freedom and can pretty much do whatever you want on any class, along with the Rebirth system...

I was rather disappointed that PSO2 doesn't have a rebirth system (yet), as now that I reflect on it, is probably one of the best additions they made to the gameplay system. PSP2/i's leveling system was always truncated due to it's nature as a portable game... but it also allowed smooth progress to maximum level without the fatigue of grinding for days just to add a few more pixels to the XP bar. Especially when you have a job, school, kids, and other real-world responsibilities which impede progress. Then upon reaching level cap, you can start over (with a boost) and continue to progress... which is a great help as it provides extra usefulness to lower-rank rare weapons, oppertunities to start over from scratch with friends (without losing much progress), and not having to be capped out keeps you from feeling like you just wasted a shit-ton of time when hunting for rare items at higher levels.

I really hope that, as time goes on, Sega reduces the XP required to level up while adding in a rebirth option to PSO2.

Angelo
Aug 13, 2012, 05:36 PM
If they add a rebirth system I might just have to hang my hat up.

It seems like a cheap shortcut for holding out on content and devaluing the accomplishment of leveling.

Shadowth117
Aug 13, 2012, 05:38 PM
If they add a rebirth system I might just have to hang my hat up.

It seems like a cheap shortcut for holding out on content and devaluing the accomplishment of leveling.

This ^

ShinMaruku
Aug 13, 2012, 05:44 PM
Rebirth done well would be awesome. If you don't like rebirth it's because you distrust sega to do it right.

Angelo
Aug 13, 2012, 06:03 PM
Rebirth done well would be awesome. If you don't like rebirth it's because you distrust sega to do it right.

No, it's because even games that do it wonderfully still leave a bad taste in my mouth. Infinity did a great job of it.

Lostbob117
Aug 13, 2012, 06:18 PM
psp2 has more weapons and a bigger level cap, and pso2 is a new game of course the level cap won't be high. Plus psp2 is too much like psu so yeah.

Mystil
Aug 13, 2012, 07:04 PM
What is this "rebirth system"?

Mike
Aug 13, 2012, 07:10 PM
PSP2i (especially vanilla) is definitely more challenging, even in the beginning. There are some aspects of PSP2i's combat that I prefer as well, such as every class being able to block, and abilities not being tied to skill trees, so you avoid getting crap you really don't want. PSO2's combat is arguably more fun depending on your class, I prefer PSP2i Ranger, but PSO2 Hunter and Force are much more fun to play for me here, even with the lack of variety. Though with PSP2i you have so much freaking freedom and can pretty much do whatever you want on any class, along with the Rebirth system...

PSP2i has more costume customization, and the costumes you can shell out real cash for are cheap and you actually get what you pay for. Also don't have to spend real cash to change your characters proportions or their damn hair color, so that's nice too.

All in all though, I prefer PSP2i, but as said it's a complete game anyway. So a complete comparison won't be happening anytime soon. Even then, I'll probably still find PSP2i to be the best anyway. lol probably, no doubt there actually.

This is a good way to put it, especially about downloadable costumes and completeness of content. Kind of makes me want to go back to Infinity and resume looking for an eternity gazer.

Ezodagrom
Aug 13, 2012, 07:19 PM
Then use your brains and try to make a fair and logical comparison. I would suggest compare part of psportable 2's content to the whole of pso2's. Or just simply the experience of going through a dungeon. The thrill factor, the challenge, the satisfaction and so on. It's possible if you don't restrain yourself too much.
Well, basically a fair comparison for this would be to compare PSU when it was first launched with PSO2 when it was launched, PSO2 wins by alot.
I'm using PSU for comparison since PSPo2 is basically an expansion of PSU with improved gameplay elements.

Xaton
Aug 13, 2012, 07:23 PM
i sort of hope when they release english version of online 2 they do digital downlaod of inifinity localised as both are aniversery and it be kick ass advertisement. RUBY or any one in contact with her or who ever she is send thsi idea in or somthing lol

Flame
Aug 13, 2012, 07:28 PM
PSO2 also owes quite a bit to PSZero which I thought was fantastic. I understand it is not well loved around these parts though? Some enemies (the rolling pillbug lizard, the severed legs of the one desert robot) are lifted straight from the DS title. Not to mention rolling and gunslashes.

Mike
Aug 13, 2012, 07:28 PM
they do digital downlaod of inifinity localised as both are aniversery and it be kick ass advertisement. RUBY or any one in contact with her or who ever she is send thsi idea in or somthing lol
Not gonna happen. Also, Ruby is a he.

supersonix9
Aug 13, 2012, 07:31 PM

I still can't make the comparison because there are too many weapon types still in development which each have their own play styles.

I guess I would say that PSO2's combat system is more fun though. The atmosphere of the game? I would give that point to PSP2. But, things can still change...

I still can't make the comparison because there are too many weapon types still in development which each have their own play styles.

I guess I would say that PSO2's combat system is more fun though. The atmosphere of the game? I would give that point to PSP2. But, things can still change...

Surly won't this comparison be better when android psvita ports come out...

that right there.

Skye-Fox713
Aug 13, 2012, 10:34 PM
Both are good, I very much like the combat of PSO2. The one thing I really liked about PSP2 was the point system for you weapon choice so that you could pretty much make your own custom class. Per-say I could be a ranger with rifles and shotguns and I could also have double sabers as well and I wish I could put that in PSO2.

Agitated_AT
Aug 13, 2012, 11:45 PM
Well, basically a fair comparison for this would be to compare PSU when it was first launched with PSO2 when it was launched, PSO2 wins by alot.
I'm using PSU for comparison since PSPo2 is basically an expansion of PSU with improved gameplay elements.

I thought psportable 2 was a seperate game from psu and psportable 1, because I think those 2 games aren't that great. Psportable 2 is not only a sequel with new environments and slight improvements. Psportable 2 improved upon psu and psportable by alot imo. It was overall refined in almost every aspect. Some things are so subtle that it's hard to point your finger on it, but you can feel it. The overall movement of the character feels better, fighting does too, the enemy AI and behaviour is alot better and more agressive. Better environments and TP system changed into PP are only some of them. But the overall package felt more right.

Well unless psportable 2 can't be acalled a seperate game, i'd say you have a good point and I stand corrected. It's not how I felt about it though.

Totori
Aug 13, 2012, 11:48 PM
No, PSP2 used most of the data from PSU, just like portable 1 did. They only made a few adjustments, also they took a feature from PSZ.

Ezodagrom
Aug 13, 2012, 11:54 PM
I thought psportable 2 was a seperate game from psu and psportable 1, because I think those 2 games aren't that great. Psportable 2 is not only a sequel with new environments and slight improvements. Psportable 2 improved upon psu and psportable by alot imo. It was overall refined in almost every aspect. Some things are so subtle that it's hard to point your finger on it, but you can feel it. The overall movement of the character feels better, fighting does too, the enemy AI and behaviour is alot better and more agressive. Better environments and TP system changed into PP are only some of them. But the overall package felt more right.

Well unless psportable 2 can't be acalled a seperate game, i'd say you have a good point and I stand corrected. It's not how I felt about it though.
Just one note, there's several areas, enemies and bosses in PSPo2 that come straight from PSU, the new areas that were added in PSPo2 and PSPo2 Infinity were also ported to the PSU japanese version (they didn't add the new enemies and bosses though).

While the improvements from PSU AoTI to PSPo2 are bigger than the improvements from, for example, PSO Ver.2 to PSO Ep1&2, PSPo2 is still an expansion of the Universe content, so for a comparison between PSO2 with its current content and PSPo2 to be fair, you have to look back to the early version of PSPo2, which was PSU.
Who knows how different PSO2 will be from now in like 3~5 years, looking at how PSU evolved into PSPo2, we can expect good things.

Mike
Aug 14, 2012, 12:10 AM
They only made a few adjustments, also they took a feature from PSZ.
Sounds like someone hasn't really played the Portable games.

Totori
Aug 14, 2012, 12:21 AM

Hmm? So PSP2 has much more than PSU's weapon, PA, dungeon data? PSP2 HAS original content, but it's still widly based off PSU. They only modified PSZ's combo system. And they took the evacuation roll. (IIRC)

Also I finished every PS game to date.

sugarFO
Aug 14, 2012, 12:23 AM

For mod, you sure are rude!

Mike
Aug 14, 2012, 12:31 AM
They only modified PSZ's combo system. And they took the evacuation roll. (IIRC)
I stick by my original post.

Totori
Aug 14, 2012, 12:37 AM
Alrighty then, would you explain what makes it so unique? -_^

Touka
Aug 14, 2012, 01:57 PM
I like both really,I liked the tech cancelling with wand on fo in Infinity,hope they bring that back in PSO 2.

DreXxiN
Aug 14, 2012, 02:46 PM
It's hard to say for me really. I mean PSP2 was so ridiculously incredible. I guess when PSO2 is more complete I can judge which I enjoy more. Obviously, one has the community aspect to it though.

Jakosifer
Aug 14, 2012, 02:50 PM
PSO2 isn't on the same level as Infinity. Infinity was damn near perfect, especially for a portable game.

darkante
Aug 14, 2012, 02:59 PM
PSP2I got alot of interesting enemies comboes and the game is pretty damn tough.
Canīt really screw around much unless you wanna get 2 hit koed from most things and some enemies with lasers can hit all over the room so that is pretty insane.
I like a good challenge though, but it kinda makes some skills pointless or way to risky to use.
Now iīm speaking from a solo experience, online might differ.

PSO2 atm is easy mode compared.
Not saying itīs bad, i like it anyway.
It just needs faster and more aggresive mobs, scaling more upon on how big the party/multiparty is.

Finalzone
Aug 14, 2012, 03:13 PM
PSO2 atm is easy mode compared.
Not saying itīs bad, i like it anyway.
It just needs faster and more aggresive mobs, scaling more upon on how big the party/multiparty is.

Hence Very Hard mode coming soon. Alpha release was challenging to the points players requested to tone down aggressive mobs.

darkante
Aug 14, 2012, 03:15 PM
Wow, really? I would have liked too see that.

Mystil
Aug 14, 2012, 04:06 PM
I thought this game was JP only and then I saw it on PSN, so I'm gonna get it :3. It has some of my favorite areas from PSU that offline PSU and PSP 1 doesnt have.

Darki
Aug 14, 2012, 05:08 PM
^ Is PSPo2i localized already? I was thinking about getting it and remake my PSU characters so I could enjoy them after the servers get nuked. =(

I don't really care about getting it in japanese but just to know.

Totori
Aug 14, 2012, 05:12 PM
No PSP2I isn't getting localized it missed it's chance. The PSP is dead now.

Jakosifer
Aug 14, 2012, 05:14 PM
Still worth playing though, even if you can't read. I love that game so much that I might marry it.

Mystil
Aug 14, 2012, 05:14 PM
I'm thinking the wrong game. They are 2 separate games. Infinity is not localized. Sorry about that.

Ninja'd.

Darki
Aug 14, 2012, 05:18 PM
Well, not that I really care much, I guess I'll download it anyways.

Miyoko
Aug 14, 2012, 05:20 PM
I'm one of the few people who thought PSP2 was an absolute abomination, and the wost game in the series. I could write a paper on everything wrong with that game.

Didn't play Infinity though. Vanilla was so bad that I have zero desire to. PSO2 is a lot of fun, but still needs a TON of work one it, but I'm at least happy it's not like PSP2.

KitsyLove
Aug 15, 2012, 06:01 AM
PSP2 is what brought me into the PS-world, so many hours I've spent on PSP2...Too bad I haven't played Infinity yet, but want to sometime. Some. Time. o-o

PSO2 is certainly different, but I can't say which one is really better. PSO2 is still developing and growing but already has me playing for quite a bit of hours. Graphics are, of course, better in PSO2.

PSP2 however, has easier costumisation without the need or real cash. I loved to hunt or play just to unlock new costumes. x'D

Mystil
Aug 15, 2012, 06:47 AM
I'm one of the few people who thought PSP2 was an absolute abomination, and the wost game in the series. I could write a paper on everything wrong with that game.

Didn't play Infinity though.

I think that is why you only hear about Infinity and not PSP2 original.

BahnKnakyu
Aug 15, 2012, 08:01 PM
The combat system in PSO2 is much more "visceral", if that makes any sense. I feel like I'm HITTING and SHOOTING things in this game. I never got that sense with PSU or any of its sequels. PSO2 definitely feels like an evolution of the ideas PSP2i introduced, and that's why I honestly think in terms of CORE game mechanics, PSO2 wins by a landslide.

PSO2 is almost what I wanted in an action RPG MO game. DMC-esque juggle combos, launchers, dodges, parries/just guards, etc. PSP2i's system felt very dated in comparison.

Cyrusnagisa
Aug 15, 2012, 10:31 PM
well...PSO2 doesn't have DREADNAUGHT either

[spoiler-box]
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd350/Ryusouka/20100416125407.jpg
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd350/Ryusouka/20100416125433.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

So that's another thing Infinity has on it. Absolutely ridiculous weaponry.

........my god........

Agitated_AT
Aug 15, 2012, 11:21 PM
The combat system in PSO2 is much more "visceral", if that makes any sense. I feel like I'm HITTING and SHOOTING things in this game. I never got that sense with PSU or any of its sequels. PSO2 definitely feels like an evolution of the ideas PSP2i introduced, and that's why I honestly think in terms of CORE game mechanics, PSO2 wins by a landslide.

PSO2 is almost what I wanted in an action RPG MO game. DMC-esque juggle combos, launchers, dodges, parries/just guards, etc. PSP2i's system felt very dated in comparison.

This is a legitimate and good point. I defenitly didn't feel the impact in any of the PSU/psportable games. It's like your hitting them softly.