PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 Evil Gameguard Update

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Crevox
Aug 13, 2012, 11:30 PM
PSO2's gameguard updated.

It now prevents some applications from working properly. They "stop working" and close while PSO2 is running. This is happening to me and two other friends at the very least.

If your application has a 32 bit version, use that version and hopefully it will help. Common cases include Ventrilo, Media Player Classic, etc.

No official statement from SEGA, affecting both JP and US.

[spoiler-box]I managed to fix VENTRILO (yes it blocks ventrilo) by doing the following, despite UAC being disabled and never having priviledge issues (yes I am an advanced user).

Bottom checkbox.

http://ft.trillian.im/efc29cb18654c553002caba3769cae8868bca570/69U2C3Lh960FaYRXgtkdA3IzgBNiZ.jpg

EDIT: This stopped working for me, so I don't know if it was a fluke or what... but yeah, Gameguard is really messed up right now.[/spoiler-box]

Shadowth117
Aug 13, 2012, 11:42 PM
Really, Vent is blocked by GG now? What the hell man...

Ana-Chan
Aug 13, 2012, 11:46 PM
It does more than just that.
It actually manages to get a driver loaded in without actually prompting the user (named dump_wmimmc) and this has actually been causing bug checks.
Honestly, playing around with kernel mode is always dangerous, especially for something as unimportant as a game.

The Walrus
Aug 13, 2012, 11:57 PM
Oh wow. Turns out that update is why Volume Mixer crashes every time I try to open it while in game amongst other stupidity :/

How is this legal

Chik'Tikka
Aug 13, 2012, 11:58 PM
GG you should just chapter 11 for us all, plz, your security only hurts Game servers and users at this point+^_^+

Coatl
Aug 14, 2012, 12:02 AM
Someone should make a Cast called Gameguard and make him look stupid.

Voices from the past..
I see truth in them now.

Shadowth117
Aug 14, 2012, 12:03 AM
GG you should just chapter 11 for us all, plz, your security only hurts Game servers and users at this point+^_^+

As long as game companies are too lazy to make proper security code, this is going to keep happening.

The Walrus
Aug 14, 2012, 12:11 AM
God I think fucking gameguard like locked my system or some shit like 2 minutes ago. Couldn't even shut down through the OS after PSO2 crashed. Why the fuck is Sega still using this piece of shit

Dragwind
Aug 14, 2012, 12:15 AM
The dark force Gameguard returns. I received an email from tech support yesterday for something that I submitted over a month ago. They really need to step up customer support at the very least.

DS23
Aug 14, 2012, 12:28 AM
Crashes my game within minutes after this update, sometimes instantly! Really great work guys.

ShadowDragon28
Aug 14, 2012, 12:34 AM
My game client runs just fine.

According to Broomop the Gameguard update now blocks the use of a certain infamous Cheat program.

Tenlade
Aug 14, 2012, 12:44 AM
My game client runs just fine.

According to Broomop the Gameguard update now blocks the use of a certain infamous Cheat program.

You mean cheat engine? It took gameguard this many years to finally notice it exists?

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 01:02 AM
You mean cheat engine? It took gameguard this many years to finally notice it exists?

It's always blocked cheat engine, but there was a known existing way around it (though I don't know if it was fixed with this or sooner).

Anyways, yeah. After I changed that I'm fine, but my friend is still having trouble running Media Player Classic. It crashes when he tries to adjust the volume or play new files.

FOnewearl-Lina
Aug 14, 2012, 01:06 AM
It's always blocked cheat engine, but there was a known existing way around it (though I don't know if it was fixed with this or sooner).

Anyways, yeah. After I changed that I'm fine, but my friend is still having trouble running Media Player Classic. It crashes when he tries to adjust the volume or play new files.

I thought MPC always had problems running with GG, or was there a way to get it to work previously.

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 01:07 AM
I thought MPC always had problems running with GG, or was there a way to get it to work previously.

Shrug. That's just what my friend is telling me. I personally have no experience with using the program in conjunction with PSO2.

Crystal_Shard
Aug 14, 2012, 01:10 AM
Oh yay. I have never been this glad that I've successfully resisted installing the PSO 2 client on my main laptop. Guess all that endurance paid off after all.

Is it blocking MPC even without the PSO 2 client running? That's one hell of an aggressive update.

The Walrus
Aug 14, 2012, 01:12 AM
I've never been able to use MPC when PSO2 is running myself. Like when it's just the client open there's no issue, but the full game yeah.

So for the second time tonight after I exited the program it had an error, GG still showed up in the task manager, set my interface from aero back to retro windows and promptly auto-restarted not long after that.

So yeah. Fuck GG. If this keeps happening then I'll just be done with PSO2 until they fix this piece of shit.

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 01:14 AM
I love you GameGuard. :)

http://ft.trillian.im/efc29cb18654c553002caba3769cae8868bca570/69U9IdMZj7qRTaCNFoi0dBYwqGNiZ.jpg

Is it blocking MPC even without the PSO 2 client running? That's one hell of an aggressive update.

No, but if you start up PSO2 after opening MPC, PSO2 gets angry at it if you try to poke it.

The Walrus
Aug 14, 2012, 01:15 AM
Oh god wow. Just fuckin wow

FOnewearl-Lina
Aug 14, 2012, 01:18 AM
Yeah, I've always had the problem with GG and MPC, even in the days of PSU.

http://ft.trillian.im/efc29cb18654c553002caba3769cae8868bca570/69U9IdMZj7qRTaCNFoi0dBYwqGNiZ.jpg

Didn't you hear, using automated tools is against the rules, Task Scheduler falls under this category and therefore it must die!

Valymer
Aug 14, 2012, 01:19 AM
Dell System Scan also gets axed now, I was wondering that caused it until I read this thread

The Walrus
Aug 14, 2012, 01:20 AM
I have to wonder if Gameguard is made by monkeys or something. Cause it surely can't be a group of intelligent people.

iTz PooKiie xx
Aug 14, 2012, 01:22 AM
I have to wonder if Gameguard is made by monkeys or something. Cause it surely can't be a group of intelligent people.

monkeys know better than to not being able to run visual novels and PSO2 at the same time >:[

Crystal_Shard
Aug 14, 2012, 01:26 AM

Vunderful performance by Gameguard. I suppose it expects its encore now. :P

No, but if you start up PSO2 after opening MPC, PSO2 gets angry at it if you try to poke it.

I've noticed that even before this, having MPC running together with PSO 2 (when checking a character creation video to make sure I get the exact shape I want) plays havoc with the video render for PSO 2, so I generally have videos playing on a tablet or laptop instead.

Rester
Aug 14, 2012, 01:30 AM
Hell yeah gameguard. Those are some nice blue screens you've been giving me.

LordShade
Aug 14, 2012, 01:32 AM
Oh wow. Turns out that update is why Volume Mixer crashes every time I try to open it while in game amongst other stupidity :/

How is this legal

works for me

http://i.imgur.com/gb3VV.png

Though its name isn't broadcasted anymore. But muting the 'Name Not Available' Program mutes PSO2 so eh.

http://i.imgur.com/8QHVF.png

Though I've started getting this randomly when I alt tab in and out of PSO2, I'm not sure what exactly it is though.

Home Dog
Aug 14, 2012, 01:37 AM
As soon as I got the GG update, I got blue screen of death for the first time on my computer. But my PC is ok. F(*& YOU GameGuard!

Rester
Aug 14, 2012, 01:40 AM
As soon as I got the GG update, I got blue screen of death for the first time on my computer. But my PC is ok. F(*& YOU GameGuard!

This. My god, this same thing has been pissing me off so much for the whole day.

bryanbtje
Aug 14, 2012, 01:43 AM
Gameguard disabled Aero here and switched my pc off...

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 01:43 AM
I haven't gotten any blue screens personally, but it's still all very silly.

This is especially true when I think about it happening to people that aren't as tech savvy and wouldn't have a clue as to what is causing it.

darkfalz16
Aug 14, 2012, 01:54 AM
well good thing im reading this and havent updated my GameGuard yet by the looks of it not going to pso2 just aint worth going through the risk its been fun but this is going to far, i understand them trying to keep the game secure but this is just to extreme

Mizunos
Aug 14, 2012, 01:57 AM
and I was wondering why my system became so unstable all of sudden, guess we found the culprit... After playing a little while an error message pops up and my aero interface sets back to retro windows, then my comp restarts on its own shortly thereafter. At first i thought it had something to do with Avast blocking GG files so i got rid of it and installed Avira instead, haven't had any trouble so far after that though i haven't played all that much, maybe 20-30 mins.

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 01:59 AM
At first i thought it had something to do with Avast blocking GG files so i got rid of it and installed Avira instead, haven't had any trouble so far after that though i haven't played all that much, maybe 20-30 mins.

This is possible as well, I use avast. At least in a connection in some way.

DESSYX
Aug 14, 2012, 02:07 AM
Apparently it kills Microsoft Office as well. I had PSO2 running in the background and was hoping to get some work done while Mag feeding, but Office 2010 kept failing to open. Finally I just decided to uninstall it and install the Office 2013 Preview, but it wouldn't uninstall either until I finally tried closing PSO2. Then I rebooted, loaded Office 2013, made sure it opened and then started up PSO2. Sure enough, when I tried again to open Office it failed to load.

WTF GG?

eharima
Aug 14, 2012, 02:09 AM
Yep yep PC locked up when I exited pso2... GG, gg!
Also volume mixer dosent show pso2 and I submitted mpc false positive like 3 months ago wwww.

bryanbtje
Aug 14, 2012, 02:10 AM
Can anyone confirm that while running pso2 and opening your taskmanager with Ctrl+Alt+Esc causes Aero to disable and minutes later Windows to restart.

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 02:17 AM
Can anyone confirm that while running pso2 and opening your taskmanager with Ctrl+Alt+Esc causes Aero to disable and minutes later Windows to restart.

I personally don't use aero, so I never experienced this issue.

Saffran
Aug 14, 2012, 02:30 AM
I can understand the Office block, though. People cheat at Pangya using excel files.
Also, it ensures that working people can't play at work. You have no idea how many ppl I met on PSOBB that were actually "killing time at work".

It's still quite intrusive and ludicrous, though, I won't argue that.

xowhd5428
Aug 14, 2012, 02:56 AM
Meh good thing i havent updated my gameguad yet

This is bit extreme yet normal considering GG works like a root kit virus and reading posts, its doing a fine job of it :P

SolRiver
Aug 14, 2012, 03:02 AM
Go try sandboxie.

You can operate most program regardless of gameguard. http://www.sandboxie.com/

xowhd5428
Aug 14, 2012, 03:30 AM
meh i used to use sandboxie for those peanut labs and so on (get game cash like AC with free things) but meh, i lost use for it >.>
If Gameguard was compatiable with Wine, i wouldnt mind changing to linux since gg wouldnt be able to do anything in linux environment

Husq
Aug 14, 2012, 03:33 AM
So did the GG update cause fraps not to show the framerate anymore? Can you even record videos with fraps or afterburner now, without fiddling with GG?

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 14, 2012, 03:34 AM
Seems I'm not the only one that's experiencing trouble with this new update. When I started PSO2 yesterday morning, GameGuard updated, then shortly after, I got a BSOD of all things. This machine is barely even two months old (and no, it wasn't my fault... I had a machine prior to this, working fine for 7+ years on XP).

Well, I ran a scan to see if I could find anything out of the ordinary, but turning up empty-handed. It screwed over my controller programs though (DS3 Tool and XPadder). Every time I tried to open them with the game running, it gave me an error.

That had a simple fix though. Just start the programs before launching PSO2. However... I haven't been able to fix the other problem it has caused. Now when I visit some websites (even without the game running), Firefox will lock up for a good 3-5 minutes.

This makes it a real pain in the ass when opening the wiki. I open the wiki, it locks up, then I'm finally able to click something... only to have it lock up again. I really hope they fix this soon. This is rather annoying.

EDIT: P.S. Running Windows 7 64-bit

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 03:36 AM
You might be able to improve the situation by disabling UAC and following my picture in the first post with the programs you use. The only issues I had was with Ventrilo and TASK SCHEDULER ENGINE, but those are resolved.

I am using Chromium though, not Firefox.

Mikura
Aug 14, 2012, 03:38 AM
*knocks on wood* I updated GG today and I didn't run into any problems whatsoever. I guess I'm the lucky few. D:

Chik'Tikka
Aug 14, 2012, 03:38 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]
Seems I'm not the only one that's experiencing trouble with this new update. When I started PSO2 yesterday morning, GameGuard updated, then shortly after, I got a BSOD of all things. This machine is barely even two months old (and no, it wasn't my fault... I had a machine prior to this, working fine for 7+ years on XP).

Well, I ran a scan to see if I could find anything out of the ordinary, but turning up empty-handed. It screwed over my controller programs though (DS3 Tool and XPadder). Every time I tried to open them with the game running, it gave me an error.

That had a simple fix though. Just start the programs before launching PSO2. However... I haven't been able to fix the other problem it has caused. Now when I visit some websites (even without the game running), Firefox will lock up for a good 3-5 minutes.

This makes it a real pain in the ass when opening the wiki. I open the wiki, it locks up, then I'm finally able to click something... only to have it lock up again. I really hope they fix this soon. This is rather annoying.

EDIT: P.S. Running Windows 7 64-bit

[/SPOILER-BOX]

this, I'm able to start and use any program as long as it's before i launch PSO2 (and thus GG), but once PSO2 is running, i have issues, even Windows Task Manager locked up on me once today!! +^_^+ i don't have any other games/programs that use GG, can anyone confirm if it's doing the same thing on other games? +^_^+

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 03:45 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]

[/SPOILER-BOX]

this, I'm able to start and use any program as long as it's before i launch PSO2 (and thus GG), but once PSO2 is running, i have issues, even Windows Task Manager locked up on me once today!! +^_^+ i don't have any other games/programs that use GG, can anyone confirm if it's doing the same thing on other games? +^_^+

It should be handled differently on each game, so I doubt it's the same situation on other games, but it's possible.

xowhd5428
Aug 14, 2012, 03:47 AM
All the solution to "i opened XXX before running PSO2"
simply works probably because how GameGuard works
As i said in previous post, game guard works like a root kit
when gameguard launches, it would inject itself into EVERY PROCESS that is running and i THINK if u opened new program, gameguard would conflict with it considering it hasn't been "hooked"

meh how gameguard works is already mistake to pc gaming industry lol

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 14, 2012, 03:55 AM
All the solution to "i opened XXX before running PSO2"
simply works probably because how GameGuard works
As i said in previous post, game guard works like a root kit
when gameguard launches, it would inject itself into EVERY PROCESS that is running and i THINK if u opened new program, gameguard would conflict with it considering it hasn't been "hooked"

meh how gameguard works is already mistake to pc gaming industry lol

Well, I might agree with you now, but that wasn't how GameGuard worked before the update. I could open programs fine when having PSO2 opened at the same time, but now... not so much. Some of my friends can even use the virtual full screen option any more because if they try to alt+tab that way, it crashes their game now.

They really screwed up this time.

xowhd5428
Aug 14, 2012, 03:57 AM
Well, I might agree with you now, but that wasn't how GameGuard worked before the update. I could open programs fine when having PSO2 opened at the same time, but now... not so much. Some of my friends can even use the virtual full screen option any more because if they try to alt+tab that way, it crashes their game now.

They really screwed up this time.

Thats how Gameguard works even from 3-4yrs ago when i played Maplestory (no flame plz)
just that for how it works like a virus, it doesnt do its job for any good

my guess is that how cheat engine bypassed and the gameguards solution to that is horrible

but generally even b4 update, i still didnt like gameguard for mpc reason :P

and even if u uninstall game and gameguard along, it isnt deleted and u have to dive thru system folder to 100% delete gameguard
^#1 reason why i hate gameguard

Macman
Aug 14, 2012, 03:59 AM
I really hope this update doesn't screw with my steam overlay...

Vashyron
Aug 14, 2012, 04:01 AM
Steam Overlay is fine.

xowhd5428
Aug 14, 2012, 04:11 AM
Did you know?
There is high chance that GameGuard is running at this very moment
EVEN IF UR NOT RUNNING THE GAME...(it is also invisible from some process list
thats just how horrible it is

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 14, 2012, 04:15 AM
Did you know?
There is high chance that GameGuard is running at this very moment
EVEN IF UR NOT RUNNING THE GAME...(it is also invisible from some process list
thats just how horrible it is

I can confirm this actually. I have Raptr up pretty much all the time, just minimized, and ever since this update took place, there have been a few instances where a box has popped up in the bottom right corner of the screen telling me, "Phantasy Star Online 2 45 seconds played" or however long it was up before it closed.

I have no idea what's going on, but I do know that it shouldn't be displaying that unless I double-click the icon to start the program... so it's obviously doing something behind my back >_>;

EDIT: It gets worse, lol. I had this page minimized when I started up PSO2 only to have an error occur at the login screen. I closed this page, then started the game again and it logged in fine.

Now I alt+tab out of the game and load this page back up and the game is still running okay. I don't even. What's going oooooooooooooon?

xowhd5428
Aug 14, 2012, 04:27 AM
I think this thread summarizes it, SEGA should phase out gameguard for better solution.

I think only reason gameguard was working so well was because it was pretty much outdated considering A CHEAT ENGINE WAS ABLE TO BYPASS IT (tho gameguard's method of doing things is already outdated itself)

Hhahaha even wikipedia knows it
" keylogs your keyboard input" YAY GG logs our keyboard for anti hack purpose, gg itself is hack to anti hack

drizzle
Aug 14, 2012, 04:43 AM
I had Windows tell me it's an illegal copy (it isn't). Not 100% sure it's GG but it started after this update.

saruish
Aug 14, 2012, 04:43 AM
Odd.. I havent had anyissue with it.. Tho I dont think my has updated yet. Did this update just happen today?

Takatsuki
Aug 14, 2012, 04:47 AM
The only issue I've had thusfar is some Firefox pages freezing up when PSO2 is running.

blace
Aug 14, 2012, 04:52 AM
Steam Overlay is fine.
Not really, no. My brother had left Steam open to continue his Sleeping Dogs download, I opened up PSO 2 and Steam mysteriously quit out stopping whatever it was doing.

xowhd5428
Aug 14, 2012, 05:01 AM
Not really, no. My brother had left Steam to continuing his Sleeping Dogs download, I opened up PSO 2 and Steam mysteriously quit out stopping whatever it was doing.

i guess its computer to computer basis
Any1 with proficient japanese go to japanese community?
I want to see how japanese are raging

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 14, 2012, 05:03 AM
Any1 with proficient jap go to jap community?
I want to see how japs are raging

Please use the term, 'JP' or 'Japanese' from now on. Just a suggestion.

Thanks.

Vashyron
Aug 14, 2012, 05:03 AM
I had Windows tell me it's an illegal copy (it isn't). Not 100% sure it's GG but it started after this update.

Heard other people having this happen since the update as well.

The only issue I've had thusfar is some Firefox pages freezing up when PSO2 is running.

I had this happen personally.

Not really, no. My brother had left Steam to continuing his Sleeping Dogs download, I opened up PSO 2 and Steam mysteriously quit out stopping whatever it was doing.

Might be some other Steam Functions causing GG to flat out close it, haven't been downloading Steam games and starting PSO2 yet, the overlay alone seems fine.

blace
Aug 14, 2012, 05:07 AM
I can't imagine any other functions causing Steam to close itself. I can imagine MineCraft causing some strain, but that doesn't seem too likely.

It's probably just random chance it started happening after the GG update, as I've noticed noticeable delay in IE, FF and Chrome.

Mizunos
Aug 14, 2012, 05:07 AM
yes, exactly this.

the japanese seem pretty pissed about that issue as well, tons of angry tweets and rage posts on 2ch boards.

Macman
Aug 14, 2012, 05:16 AM
Well it looks like I picked a good time to lay off the game for a while. I haven't launched the game since the update so I think I'm just gonna lie low until this clears up.

Sirius-91
Aug 14, 2012, 05:21 AM
http://i.imgur.com/8QHVF.png

Though I've started getting this randomly when I alt tab in and out of PSO2, I'm not sure what exactly it is though.

Been getting that on EVERYTHING.

From chrome to skype, EVEN DROPBOX.

It's like they want me to just play the game without my music (I use google play music) or in general, be happy.

Aeris
Aug 14, 2012, 05:31 AM
I looked in the Task Manager list and i see GameMon 32bit and 64bit on there now, seems like they added in more exes to it now to see why its causing issues on people's computers now.

Sp-24
Aug 14, 2012, 05:32 AM
Any1 with proficient jap go to jap community?
I want to see how japs are raging

It seems that "nPro" is the new "外人" and "2鯖" on 2ch.net.

Vashyron
Aug 14, 2012, 05:44 AM

I just tried this and yes, exactly THAT happens.

I could open Task Manger another way but for this to happen is just ridiculous.

xowhd5428
Aug 14, 2012, 05:54 AM
I just tried this and yes, exactly THAT happens.

I could open Task Manger another way but for this to happen is just ridiculous.

Another way to open task manager is thru right clicking ur task bar
don't get why people don't know about this...

Not saying this would work as well as I have not updated my gameguard

Crystal_Shard
Aug 14, 2012, 05:59 AM
Just curious, but when exactly did this update happen? I noticed last night that GG did seem to be doing a few extra things compared to normal. However, I run a bare bones clone of my win XP install from a second HDD and don't run anything other than MSI Afterburner in the background, so I might not have noticed anything different last night.

Anyone have a rough fix on when this update might have been pushed out?

Vashyron
Aug 14, 2012, 06:00 AM
Another way to open task manager is thru right clicking ur task bar
don't get why people don't know about this...

Not saying this would work as well as I have not updated my gameguard

I could open Task Manger another way

And Right clicking to open it trough the Task Bar does work. (CTRL + ALT + DELETE does not.)

Point is they really derped.

xowhd5428
Aug 14, 2012, 06:13 AM
And Right clicking to open it trough the Task Bar does work. (CTRL + ALT + DELETE does not.)

Point is they really derped.

I meant as in not sure if it works or not and not "it will not work period" hehe

Saffran
Aug 14, 2012, 06:27 AM
When did it update... Sunday night? I guess on monday JP time. I think.
I haven't had any issues at all, but then again, when I play, I actually just play.

Neirene
Aug 14, 2012, 06:39 AM
Cannot check my email with outlook anymore Σ(・ω・ノ)ノ im surprised how it blocks all the office suite too!

Darki
Aug 14, 2012, 06:59 AM
Could it be possible then that my computer not being able to open the task manager is because of this?
When I try, Aero gets disabled (style actually goes to windows 95 look, kinda) and then it shuts windows down after a minute. I was thinking I caught a virus or something, I'm even running my av now for it.

xowhd5428
Aug 14, 2012, 07:06 AM
Could it be possible then that my computer not being able to open the task manager is because of this?
When I try, Aero gets disabled (style actually goes to windows 95 look, kinda) and then it shuts windows down after a minute. I was thinking I caught a virus or something, I'm even running my av now for it.

as mentioned above, right click task bar to open the manager instead of going Ctrl alt del (if it works i mean ;P)

Vashyron
Aug 14, 2012, 07:09 AM

Yeah man you got a virus, it's called Gameguard.

Darki
Aug 14, 2012, 07:11 AM
my problem is not opening the task manager but the fact that myu computer goes shit when I try. I wonder what's the IQ of the asses working on that ptogram, seriously.

Micro
Aug 14, 2012, 07:12 AM
Woohoo Gameguard!

I'm also experiencing Firefox locking up after the GG update, but only when the game is open. I haven't encountered anything else happening, but after reading this thread I don't want to play anymore until theres a new patch/fix. :lol:

gigawuts
Aug 14, 2012, 07:23 AM
Either they pulled the update or it's perfectly compatible with my computer, because I'm not seeing any of these problems at all. Task manager, other programs, it's all fine.

Sirius-91
Aug 14, 2012, 07:24 AM
as mentioned above, right click task bar to open the manager instead of going Ctrl alt del (if it works i mean ;P)

Easier way, press ctrl + shift + esc

Vashyron
Aug 14, 2012, 07:34 AM
Easier way, press ctrl + shift + esc

If you would read previous posts, this and CTRL + ALT + Delete is exactly whats causing problems thanks to Gameguard.

Either they pulled the update or it's perfectly compatible with my computer, because I'm not seeing any of these problems at all. Task manager, other programs, it's all fine.

Are you on Windows 7? 64 Bit?

gigawuts
Aug 14, 2012, 07:40 AM
If you would read previous posts, this and CTRL + ALT + Delete is exactly whats causing problems thanks to Gameguard.

Are you on Windows 7? 64 Bit?

Yeah, I am. I haven't tried running MS Office as it's not installed on this computer, but any program I do have installed is running the same as before this should have gone up.

Darki
Aug 14, 2012, 07:44 AM
I have win7 x64 and there's where I'm finding all the trouble. =/

Neirene
Aug 14, 2012, 07:55 AM
I found a way to somehow run office but that means i have to open all the programs i need first before opening PSO2 and i gotta be careful not to close them while the game is running otherwise i wont be able to open them again unless i close the game too orz

Least i can check the mail with outlook without problems using this method

EvilMag
Aug 14, 2012, 07:56 AM
What did Sega do, hire the staff from that one PSO private server to work on a way to stop hacking?

Vashyron
Aug 14, 2012, 08:10 AM
And Steam Overlay is not fine, GG suddenly saw fit to kill the Overlay's Process at some random point.

FOnewearl-Lina
Aug 14, 2012, 08:11 AM
Heard other people having this happen since the update as well.

Add me to that list too, I know my copy's genuine and I have an OEM disc for it to but hey, GG GG.

Sp-24
Aug 14, 2012, 08:48 AM
Gameguard's popularity is booming in Japan: LINK (http://realtime.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=npro&md=t&rkf=1&ei=UTF-8&gm=w)

Ana-Chan
Aug 14, 2012, 08:49 AM
my problem is not opening the task manager but the fact that myu computer goes shit when I try. I wonder what's the IQ of the asses working on that ptogram, seriously.

As I wrote somewhere way back on page 1. The new GG update installs a driver as it starts up and removes it as it exits. This driver is what is responsible for at least some of the BSODs and quite a bit of the other trouble.

Rowe
Aug 14, 2012, 08:50 AM
My Steam overlay still works, but one time GameGuard did decide it'd be fun to kill my fan control program.

Fans: ALL POWER TO THE ENGINES! MAXIMUM SPEED, MAXIMUM NOISE!

Vashyron
Aug 14, 2012, 08:56 AM
My Steam overlay still works,

Keep an eye it that it won't suddenly kill it's process off for no reason, it seemed fine to me at first but then it vanished.

Can start up the game again to get the Overlay back but I'm not going to be doing that whenever it decides to randomly kill it's process off.

Ana-Chan
Aug 14, 2012, 09:06 AM
Well, I've managed to get a good look at some minidumps in regards to the BSODs for some friends of mine, and it seems like GG is managing to terminate processes critical to Windows running and these are some of the causes of the BSODs.
Oh, and just to mention, GG also managed to kill both my Windows Sound service and at least one of the processes required for my sound card to actually work too.

jooozek
Aug 14, 2012, 09:23 AM
No change on my windows xp after gameguard update.

HFlowen
Aug 14, 2012, 09:30 AM
Ahhh, is this what's been breaking my dualshock3_tool from working? Guess I gotta figure out the ingame pad settings now.

The Walrus
Aug 14, 2012, 09:33 AM
Eng patch should have that stuff translated if you feel like using it

Gardios
Aug 14, 2012, 09:39 AM
Gameguard's popularity is booming in Japan: LINK (http://realtime.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=npro&md=t&rkf=1&ei=UTF-8&gm=w)

Wow, they really screwed up this time. Wouldn't mind an Emergency Maint for this, but I'm somehow doubtful they're quick with this seeing how nProtect is a 3rd party software...

Silver Crow
Aug 14, 2012, 09:44 AM
I've had to hold down the powerbutton to turn off my computer multiple times now after this GG update. For some reason when i click volume control the computer absolutely refuses to shutdown even after i close pso2... I tried bringing up task manager and i get the hourglass icon then nothing... My computer is only a month old... Intel i7 with Nvidia GTX 580 card, if GG screws up my computer then... well fuck...

HFlowen
Aug 14, 2012, 09:47 AM
Eng patch should have that stuff translated if you feel like using it

Found out if I start motionjoy before starting pso2, it works. I've gotta fix ALL of my settings now though, goddamn I'm running in circles in the lobby right now.

Phosis
Aug 14, 2012, 10:00 AM
My computer was screwed beyond repair about the same time I installed this thing; my Windows Update service ceased to exist completely and was beyond repair. I had BSOD's, problems with volume mixer, Firefox, etc.

I backed up all of my files and did a clean install of Win7. I hope that the Japanese ire is enough to inspire getting rid of this insidious piece of garbage software. It's almost evil.

Oh and as if I care compared to the hours of work I just put into restoring my system, the game completely stopped working for me. So hoorah!

Anon_Fire
Aug 14, 2012, 10:16 AM
I think this thread summarizes it, SEGA should phase out gameguard for better solution.

I think only reason gameguard was working so well was because it was pretty much outdated considering A CHEAT ENGINE WAS ABLE TO BYPASS IT (tho gameguard's method of doing things is already outdated itself)

Hhahaha even wikipedia knows it
" keylogs your keyboard input" YAY GG logs our keyboard for anti hack purpose, gg itself is hack to anti hack

There isn't any others that are better than GameGuard, is there?

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 14, 2012, 10:17 AM
Found out if I start motionjoy before starting pso2, it works. I've gotta fix ALL of my settings now though, goddamn I'm running in circles in the lobby right now.

It screwed with my DS3 Tool and XPadder as well. I had to make a new profile for XPadder since it nuked my old one, lol. It won't even load any more. It says none of my programs can open it.

Fortunately, I didn't have to adjust all the settings again. That would have been a pain in the ass. I've already had to do that a couple of times. I'm really getting sick of one stick used for camera and movement, lol.

Sirius-91
Aug 14, 2012, 10:31 AM
Been getting errors every now and then.

[SPOILER-BOX]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3260503/werfault.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

[SPOILER-BOX]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3260503/wermgr.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Windows 7 Home Premium x64

NightfallG
Aug 14, 2012, 11:25 AM
Not sure if this was posted earlier, but I took a look in the event viewer. Right before I was forced to cut power, apparently this happened thanks to GG:

A critical system process, C:\Windows\system32\lsm.exe, failed with status code c0000005. The machine must now be restarted.

Sounds like typical Gameguard shit. All me and my boyfriend can figure is that the build of GG used in PSO2 looks for checksums related to Japanese Win7 system files (that is, if they would be any different between English and Japanese) and is seeing incorrect ones when it looks at the English versions running.

Darki
Aug 14, 2012, 11:27 AM
Aparently in japan the program is doing it's thing too, so it doesn't neccesary mean that the problem is running the game on a non japanese windows...

NightfallG
Aug 14, 2012, 11:35 AM
Aparently in japan the program is doing it's thing too, so it doesn't neccesary mean that the problem is running the game on a non japanese windows...

Eeeee. D: Then that's even doubly horrible. Knowing that, this is just major, major dropping of the ball on Sega's part. Contracts with INCA be damned, throw this trash out.

Takatsuki
Aug 14, 2012, 11:44 AM
Just had my computer automatically restart itself, probably because of this. I was in the other room eating lunch, and came back to it rebooting. The only things I had open were PSO2 idling in the camp ship and 1 Firefox window.

MadDemon64
Aug 14, 2012, 11:55 AM
Would this by any chance affect Symmantec Endpoint protection, because now it seems to close whenever I play PSO2.

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 14, 2012, 11:56 AM
Who knows. Maybe this is the swift kick in the pants that Sega needs to help them realize this program is shit and they need to find a better replacement.

Eh, who am I kidding? Wishful thinking, I guess, lol.

MadDemon64
Aug 14, 2012, 11:57 AM
Who knows. Maybe this is the swift kick in the pants that Sega needs to help them realize this program is shit and they need to find a better replacement.

Well is there any way to figure this out?

ShadowDragon28
Aug 14, 2012, 12:00 PM
lol I'm using WinXP "media edition" w/ service pack 3 , XP FTW. LOL Gameguard has behaved on my PC, no major problems.

kabutozero
Aug 14, 2012, 12:02 PM
one month and a bit more ago , my computer bsod like mad , seems the problem was the ram , today I Got a bsod again executing the game after the patch while it was still in gameguard, it's fault of this gameguard update right ? ( I don't have more money to buy things for my comp -.-) since I kinda remember this happening too with maplestory , after it resetted tho I logged in and played for like an hour without any problems

The Walrus
Aug 14, 2012, 12:02 PM
Guess it's mostly a Win 7 problem.

I'm loving how GG is still running in Task Manager even after I exit the game :/

Doesn't prevent me from using MPC though. *sigh*

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 14, 2012, 12:04 PM
one month and a bit more ago , my computer bsod like mad , seems the problem was the ram , today I Got a bsod again executing the game after the patch while it was still in gameguard, it's fault of this gameguard update right ? ( I don't have more money to buy things for my comp -.-) since I kinda remember this happening too with maplestory , after it resetted tho I logged in and played for like an hour without any problems

Yep. Same thing happened to me. I got the BSOD after GameGuard updated, but have been playing the game fine since that incident.

EDIT: I should note though, there is nothing fine about getting a BSOD. GameGuard really dropped the ball this time.

NightfallG
Aug 14, 2012, 12:08 PM
So wait, this is just a Win7 compatibility error?

What the fuck. It's 2012.

kabutozero
Aug 14, 2012, 12:10 PM
well I think i won't play so much until they fix it , or there is no chance of peranent damage?

MadDemon64
Aug 14, 2012, 12:10 PM
So wait, this is just a Win7 compatibility error?

What the fuck. It's 2012.

And there is yet ANOTHER reason why I am thinking of just quitting the japanese version and waiting for the english version.

gigawuts
Aug 14, 2012, 12:11 PM
And there is yet ANOTHER reason why I am thinking of just quitting the japanese version and waiting for the english version.

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder about what I should expect when they "fix" these issues, if they ever do.

I'm not getting these issues, but this is still pretty fucked up.

eharima
Aug 14, 2012, 12:14 PM
haha also crashes the flash plugin for nightly GG GG !!

Ana-Chan
Aug 14, 2012, 12:22 PM
No, this is an x64 error. The driver/process involved here were just added for x64 versions of GG.
So obviously Windows XP (unless you have one of those rare x64 versions) and 32 bit versions of Vista/7 would be pretty much unaffected.

Well is there any way to figure this out?

This is pretty much figured out. I have been keeping an eye on things for a while on x64 systems. With the latest update, a new process was added which is native 64 bit. It also loads in a driver now named dump_wmimmc.sys. Not only have there been BSODs faulting in this module, the only times system stability comes into question is when this driver is loaded. So this is GG.
Whoever wrote this tried to block access to certain kernel objects without taking into account that regular user mode applications, including system critical applications also use them. When processes like csrss.exe, wininit.exe, lsm.exe, several of the svchost.exe processes, lsass.exe, winlogon.exe and probably some others that I am forgetting get terminated, bad things start happening in Windows. GameGuard is actually preventing these critical processes from doing its job for something as unimportant as a game.

There are differences. If it is due to RAM problems then you will have problems with applications crashing randomly all the time, and the types of error codes you get are different. Since the BSODs for this are mainly critical process terminated and maybe a couple of faults in one specific driver, and it only happens sporadically while PSO2 is running, then no I would say no to RAM.

Coatl
Aug 14, 2012, 12:24 PM
If I have PSO2 on I can't even touch my DS3 tool (gamepad software).
Really inconvenient.

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 14, 2012, 12:25 PM
If I have PSO2 on I can't even touch my DS3 tool (gamepad software).
Really inconvenient.

It kept giving me an error too. That's why you have to open it before launching PSO2 like I did. I don't really know why you would need to have DS3 Tool readily available in-game anyway unless you were constantly changing buttons, but that would be pretty crazy X3

Coatl
Aug 14, 2012, 12:28 PM
It kept giving me an error too. That's why you have to open it before launching PSO2 like I did. I don't really know why you would need to have DS3 Tool readily available in-game anyway unless you were constantly changing buttons, but that would be pretty crazy X3

Yeah, that's what I do normally. But sometimes I forgot you know. :c
I wonder if this gameguard issue will be fixed this maintenance.

Husq
Aug 14, 2012, 12:30 PM

Not sure how that will change anything. The overseas version will probably use GG, like the JPN version, as well, so you will get the same issues.

I'm running win7 pro x64, not real troubles here, except for not be able to run afterburner/rivatuner or fraps.

For DS3 pad, you could try using the tamamy's driver, not sure if they are signed these days, but if they are not, just press f8 when loading windows, to load it.

Vashyron
Aug 14, 2012, 12:36 PM
Oh that is...

Cool Fraps doesn't detect PSO2 Any more. ....:wacko:

Ana-Chan
Aug 14, 2012, 12:36 PM
Not sure how that will change anything. The overseas version will probably use GG, like the JPN version, as well, so you will get the same issues.

I'm running win7 pro x64, not real troubles here, except for not be able to run afterburner/rivatuner or fraps.

For DS3 pad, you could try using the tamamy's driver, not sure if they are signed these days, but if they are not, just press f8 when loading windows, to load it.

Also puts a major security hole in your system while it is at it. At least signed drivers offer a level of protection. (I've actually reported this to Microsoft as a security vulnerability btw.)

Darki
Aug 14, 2012, 12:39 PM

So you can gather enough willpower to resist the same errors on the US/EU server?

Lol.

This failure is happening to JP players as well. It has nothing to do with that.

Finalzone
Aug 14, 2012, 12:39 PM
I can confirm GameGuard is the problem on my Windows 7 x64. On some occasion, Firefox will freeze when I look at some pages, I noticed an abnormal startup during the opening session and a blue screen of death while playing. I fully reinstall Windows 7 x64 to verify my theory.
Reading this yahoo page (http://realtime.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=npro&md=t&rkf=1&ei=UTF-8&gm=w), it becomes apparent Gameguard does harm than good, will never be supported on Wine or Unix/Linux due to its security threat.
Sega of Japan must look to a better solution before the oversea release. Gameguard is proven outdated and useless.

How about sending a message to Sega of Japan via Sakai? Find someone willing to translate your comment and voila. Inactive reaction will not help. With more Japanese players aware of Gameguard misbehavior, Sega would be foolish not to listen.

Ana-Chan
Aug 14, 2012, 12:50 PM
How about sending a message to Sega of Japan via Sakai? Find someone willing to translate your comment and voila. Inactive reaction will not help. With more Japanese players aware of Gameguard misbehavior, Sega would be foolish not to listen.

This is why I'm attempting to go via Microsoft as a security vulnerability.
I'm attempting to get either the driver's security certificate blocked or an update that blocks off the driver installation path without prompting.
If this happens, then SEGA would also be forced to act that way.

Shadowth117
Aug 14, 2012, 12:57 PM
This is why I'm attempting to go via Microsoft as a security vulnerability.
I'm attempting to get either the driver's security certificate blocked or an update that blocks off the driver installation path without prompting.
If this happens, then SEGA would also be forced to act that way.

Sad thing is this is probably more likely to work than talking to Sega directly even if you were Japanese.

Its really quite lovely how a few of my Windows OS services won't work while GameGuard runs now too. And then they make it so random things like Sony Vegas won't run either. Gee, I'm sorry guys. I know I'm playing soooo unfairly by rendering a video I recorded while playing the game. That's just horrible of me.

IzzyData
Aug 14, 2012, 01:03 PM
This thing is really annoying because it prevents me from opening media player classic while playing.

Windalgo
Aug 14, 2012, 01:06 PM
Just wanted to echo this. First bluescreen I've seen in something like 10 years.
Fantastic.

EldrickTobin
Aug 14, 2012, 01:17 PM

I hate to echo the "Wishful thinking" but yeah. That's pretty wishful. GG has been like this forever. It's just moving in to NEW territory and new ways to screw up with GameMon64.des and it's complete inability to close if it flakes out.

It would be nice at least if Sega packaged up a kill GG if it flakes (or hell INCA... it's their derpy little baby) package. Say like how some games have "Logout, FORCE logout" where they kill the process attached to your session.

Or heck just recommended something to use when it flakes would be quite a path to happiness.

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 14, 2012, 01:21 PM
Just wanted to echo this. First bluescreen I've seen in something like 10 years.
Fantastic.

Same here. It was quite surprising to see one after nearly a decade, haha.

Inazuma
Aug 14, 2012, 01:33 PM
I was always annoyed at not being able to open Media Player Classic but GOM video player still works so not a big deal.

However with the latest update, I can't open Firefox while PSO2 is running, so now I have to make sure I open it before opening PSO2.

I open and close my dual shock 3 tool prior to opening PSO2 and it works fine. I also open joytokey before running PSO2 and it keeps working, thankfully. If I had to play with the shitty default gamepad settings, I would be extremely gimped and pissed off.

It's one thing to block programs that can be used for hacking/cheating/etc, but blocking stuff like media players, web browsers and controller configuration programs is just stupid and unnecessary.

Shadowth117
Aug 14, 2012, 01:59 PM
Yeah I'd just like to point out that since this update, I've had two BSOD's (never even had them on this rig) and had to system restore of all things because Windows told me something had been changed unauthorized after the first BSOD. Really ticking me off.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 14, 2012, 02:12 PM
Also puts a major security hole in your system while it is at it. At least signed drivers offer a level of protection. (I've actually reported this to Microsoft as a security vulnerability btw.)

me too, it's negatively affecting my system, which is very clean+^_^+ other programs that did this would have been quarantined by my AV or AM by now+^_^+

Cynamin
Aug 14, 2012, 02:16 PM
Seems to me you are asking far too much of a game company. I have indeed read about Japanese people running Japanese versions of windows is getting some of these issues, but not all of them. Just be glad you get what you get. You can either deal with it or wait for usa release

gigawuts
Aug 14, 2012, 02:18 PM
Seems to me you are asking far too much of a game company. I have indeed read about Japanese people running Japanese versions of windows is getting some of these issues, but not all of them. Just be glad you get what you get. You can either deal with it or wait for usa release

With this attitude nothing would ever get accomplished ever.

Shadowth117
Aug 14, 2012, 02:23 PM

You can't possibly be so ignorant to think that such a thing wouldn't carry over to the American version. Gameguard certainly came over every other time. Why would you think that would change for this game?

Inazuma
Aug 14, 2012, 02:34 PM
With this attitude nothing would ever get accomplished ever.

Exactly right. Thank you for saying this.

serenade
Aug 14, 2012, 02:41 PM
that update would explain why firefox freezes when i switch over to search matterboard guides now. before i could switch between the game and browser no problem. now firefox freezes.

Ana-Chan
Aug 14, 2012, 02:41 PM

I've been getting all of the issues and I have all of my localisation settings set to Japanese. This is independent of culture, this is purely a driver going in, doing bad things against the user's will and causing massive breakage. So please, it isn't asking too much of a game company to not dig deep inside the Windows internals by installing a driver without your consent and causing the entire system to bug check by blocking critical Windows processes from doing what they must do.

eharima
Aug 14, 2012, 02:57 PM
Root kit gonna root.

Xaton
Aug 14, 2012, 03:00 PM
hmms injecting a file with out permssion is hacking and invasion gamegaurd be glad none are going after them with legal matters on this lol. or men in black suits comeign at their company door or what ever.

SaiKo
Aug 14, 2012, 03:03 PM
Blue-screened once. Glad I'm not the only one, but that is also rather disconcerting in itself.

Aeris
Aug 14, 2012, 03:33 PM
Haven't BSODed yet but i was getting a issue with some update program and decided to click it and it changed my screen over and crashed PSO2 in the process but when i tryed to restart PSO2 i was getting some error at the title screen which i couldn't fix until i had to restart my computer just to get PSO2 to work again.

blace
Aug 14, 2012, 03:36 PM
Aside from the Steam issue I've been having with GG, everything else seems to work fine. Although, everything I usually do when I play needs to be opened before hand.

Neirene
Aug 14, 2012, 03:42 PM
Now i just confirmed that the catalyst control center for AMD Radeon cards isnt working with PSO2 opened either it just crashes then after crashes the whole windows explorer
It will display this error message
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6145/orzerrorgg.jpg

Aside from that Photoshop CS6 and Illustrator CS6 64 bit versions arent working either but the 32 bit ones works and also the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) wont run either

In overall you cannot do anything on your computer but to play PSO2 while is open !

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 04:19 PM
My computer just blue screened. :)

I was trying to get Ventrilo to work (my first post stopped working). After fiddling, I finally got both the game and Ventrilo running...

After about 5 minutes of PSO2, it crashed with this:

http://ft.trillian.im/efc29cb18654c553002caba3769cae8868bca570/69V6yZfm8ZUTWzU1eO2RjTMXqXs4p.jpg

And then it went like how everyone else says. I couldn't open any new applications, and my Windows converted to classic style. Shortly after, blue screen.

Running PSO2 is now a scary thing...

Miwako
Aug 14, 2012, 04:26 PM
On the night of the 12th I freaked out when my KB suddenly decided to only go into function mode, after that I could not open anything, I went and did a system restore and set it back a few days but still it continued to act crazy. My mouse failed to work, and when starting up the pc I would get to the log in screen and wouldn't be able to go any further (I couldn't get the on screen keyboard to work). I finally got into it and got back in, did a virus scan and found nothing... after reading all this, I guess I found out what caused it!

jooozek
Aug 14, 2012, 04:26 PM
Now i just confirmed that the catalyst control center for AMD Radeon cards isnt working with PSO2 opened either it just crashes then after crashes the whole windows explorer
It will display this error message
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6145/orzerrorgg.jpg

Works just fine on Windows XP

[SPOILER-BOX]http://sadpanda.us/images/1148618-QEBJJD1.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Laxedrane
Aug 14, 2012, 04:28 PM
I haven't had a problem with anything since Game guard updated. I am on vista, Still use firefox and ventrillo without a problem.

Still really stupid that sega would allow an update like that to go through screwing with a large number of the player bases computer.

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 04:33 PM
Just starting task manager at all while playing PSO2 blue screens my computer now.

Neirene
Aug 14, 2012, 04:33 PM
Works just fine on Windows XP

[SPOILER-BOX]http://sadpanda.us/images/1148618-QEBJJD1.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

I think it works on older versions from what I see in your screenshot right now im using the 12.4 catalyst drivers and it crashes everytime i try to open it with the game running

Could be also that i'm using windows server 2008 R2 which is x64 and you are using XP which is x86

I think the gameguard is behaving correctly in a x86 enviroment rather than a x64 atm probably they need to do some tweaking to the x64 version!

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 04:34 PM
and you are using XP which is x86

There is a 64 bit version of XP. :P

Neirene
Aug 14, 2012, 04:35 PM

Yes but it's stuck in an older version than the x86 one as it doesnt have service pack 3

jooozek
Aug 14, 2012, 04:36 PM
I think it works on older versions from what I see in your screenshot right now im using the 12.4 catalyst drivers and it crashes everytime i try to open it with the game running

Could be also that i'm using windows server 2008 R2 which is x64 and you are using XP which is x86

I think the gameguard is behaving correctly in a x86 enviroment rather than a x64 atm probably they need to do some tweaking to the x64 version!

No, I'm running 12.6 (version from 3rd July 2012) but yeah, the os is the x86 version.

SaiKo
Aug 14, 2012, 04:37 PM

Which PSO2 doesn't work on at all. That's my primary OS and I have to use my ghetto test-install of W7 64 to run the game. :-(

Neirene
Aug 14, 2012, 04:38 PM
Because of this that's why i've mentioned that joozlek was showing me his CCC screenshot running from an XP x86 installation.

Neirene
Aug 14, 2012, 04:39 PM
No, I'm running 12.6 (version from 3rd July 2012) but yeah, the os is the x86 version.

12.6? let me try to update my drivers and i will let you know if it works over here!

Takatsuki
Aug 14, 2012, 04:42 PM
Is there any way that we can try and get our voices about this issue heard by Sega?

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 04:43 PM
I downloaded and installed 32 bit Ventrilo. It works, but the game errored 30 seconds into playing it...

...started it up again, so far, no issues... still can't start volume mixer though, and I'll blue screen if I try to open task manager.

SaiKo
Aug 14, 2012, 04:43 PM
Spam all the lobbies with BSoD symbol art?
>_>

Takatsuki
Aug 14, 2012, 04:47 PM
I've opened Task Manager several times in order to kill a frozen Firefox, but I clicked the taskbar to get it instead of the keyboard shortcut, so it didn't blue screen.

Running Win7 x64 BTW.

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 04:48 PM
I got something new when I started up PSO2. :)

http://ft.trillian.im/efc29cb18654c553002caba3769cae8868bca570/69V8MbmtHoySahdxWNecaunlV2Emk.jpg

I've opened Task Manager several times in order to kill a frozen Firefox, but I clicked the taskbar to get it instead of the keyboard shortcut, so it didn't blue screen.

This seems to work.

So far, MY solution to the problem is the following:

1. Use 32bit Ventrilo. It doesn't seem to be affected (for now).
2. Start Volume Mixer BEFORE running PSO2 if I want to use it.
3. Use Chrome/Chromium, it's currently not affected.

Possible conclusion: 64 bit programs are the issue. Possibly. Everything else seems to work fine (Winamp, Trillian, etc).

...and it crashed again at "Authenticating SEGA ID." Extremely unstable, and now I'm back to being unable to open anything. Blue screen imminent.

Dragonlily
Aug 14, 2012, 04:56 PM
This whole thing is ridiculous. I've had some instability as well. My fan was cutting out. Brand new. As well as other issues other people have stated. I really do hope the fix it but in all likely it'll be ignored for awhile...

Neirene
Aug 14, 2012, 04:57 PM

Tried again running 12.6 and it still crashes i think its a Server 2008/W7 Issue remember the driver architecture is different over here

I guess it cant be helped until they fix the gameguard....

.Jack
Aug 14, 2012, 05:01 PM
Glad I saw this thread before logging in today.. Is this GG update only for PSO2 or does it also apply to PSUJP?

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 05:04 PM
I still have the old, working GameGuard files because I have two installations... but can't use them anyways because it just auto updates and overwrites.

http://www.mediafire.com/?unetfcy7yzsvxp0

Ana-Chan
Aug 14, 2012, 05:14 PM
Possible conclusion: 64 bit programs are the issue. Possibly. Everything else seems to work fine (Winamp, Trillian, etc).

No, the problem is GameGuard installing a driver that is blocking access to things that critical Windows processes need access to and they are then terminating abnormally.

Tried again running 12.6 and it still crashes i think its a Server 2008/W7 Issue remember the driver architecture is different over here

I guess it cant be helped until they fix the gameguard....

As stated above, this is an x64 problem. In order to try and stop cheating on x64 they dug into the kernel very deeply and started blocking access to things that regular applications also use. So the problem is GG and only GG.

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 05:19 PM
No, the problem is GameGuard installing a driver that is blocking access to things that critical Windows processes need access to and they are then terminating abnormally.

Shrug. 32 bit Ventrilo works fine, 64 bit Ventrilo won't even open. Every other 32 bit application I have works fine.

Firefox opens flash in an external plugin container, probably uses 64 bit flash. Firefox has a 64 bit version as well. Chrome does not. Chrome works fine.

If you're on 64 bit windows, all windows components are 64 bit (volume mixer, task scheduler engine, etc etc). So far, I haven't heard of anyone having issues on x86 besides that one person with CCC.

Just saying. Yes, the problem is GameGuard, but it's intefering with the proper functioning of 64 bit programs (and in turn, causing critical windows failures). 32 bit programs seem unaffected.

Ana-Chan
Aug 14, 2012, 05:35 PM
Shrug. 32 bit Ventrilo works fine, 64 bit Ventrilo won't even open. Every other 32 bit application I have works fine.

Firefox opens flash in an external plugin container, probably uses 64 bit flash. Firefox has a 64 bit version as well. Chrome does not. Chrome works fine.

If you're on 64 bit windows, all windows components are 64 bit (volume mixer, task scheduler engine, etc etc). So far, I haven't heard of anyone having issues on x86 besides that one person with CCC.

Just saying.

But really that only says x64 processes are the ones being affected, nothing more. What that really says to me that in order to combat the use of x64 versions of cheat engine or other things like that, they used some means to lock down the x64 side of things and didn't take into account the affect on the rest of the system.
It also isn't just limited to x64 processes by the way. I've had Visual Studio 2012 fail to work properly (and it terminated a 32 bit process that I was in the process of debugging which had nothing to do with PSO2). It also terminated one of my critical sound driver processes, and they are 32 bit only.

Neirene
Aug 14, 2012, 05:37 PM
Glad I saw this thread before logging in today.. Is this GG update only for PSO2 or does it also apply to PSUJP?

PSU still uses the old one you can play without problems

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 05:38 PM
But really that only says x64 processes are the ones being affected, nothing more. What that really says to me that in order to combat the use of x64 versions of cheat engine or other things like that, they used some means to lock down the x64 side of things and didn't take into account the affect on the rest of the system.
It also isn't just limited to x64 processes by the way. I've had Visual Studio 2012 fail to work properly (and it terminated a 32 bit process that I was in the process of debugging which had nothing to do with PSO2). It also terminated one of my critical sound driver processes, and they are 32 bit only.

I'm presuming you're using the 32bit version of Visual Studio 2012 if you're saying that... and that process could fail if the debugger fails.

Yes, I understand what you're saying, and I agree, just saying the issue definitely seems to affect from the 64 bit side of things mostly, though I guess there are issues elsewhere as well (the whole thing is kinda wonky right now, and mostly stems from GameGuard's critical intrusion into vital Windows system components).

PSU still uses the old one you can play without problems

GameGuard isn't just one infinitely updating program that every game uses the same version of. Different games use different versions, different settings, different everything. This is why GameGuard will block a hack on one game and on another game, it won't even detect it.

Currently, the problem exists with PSO2, and shouldn't be affecting any other game.

MountainLynx
Aug 14, 2012, 06:33 PM
Running Windows 7 x64. Not seeing any of the issues any of you have been complaining about. I've opened office and Task Manager with PSO2 running and suffered no ill effects. Microsoft Security Essentials scans, NVIDIA control panel opens fine. No slowdowns in Firefox.

Also, I've never turned UAC off. And I never will, ever since the day I was diagnosing someone's computer and actually watched as UAC stopped a trojan from running. Managed to save all of the guy's information with no damage to the OS, too. But that's a tangent. Or is it?...

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 06:37 PM
Running Windows 7 x64. Not seeing any of the issues any of you have been complaining about. I've opened office and Task Manager with PSO2 running and suffered no ill effects. Microsoft Security Essentials scans, NVIDIA control panel opens fine. No slowdowns in Firefox.

Also, I've never turned UAC off. And I never will, ever since the day I was diagnosing someone's computer and actually watched as UAC stopped a trojan from running. Managed to save all of the guy's information with no damage to the OS, too. But that's a tangent. Or is it?...

Only you can start forest fires...

It's "someone's" fault for obtaining a trojan in the first place. A virus protection software will do more than UAC ever will. UAC is just an annoying burden.

And yes, I've talked to at least one other person that doesn't have any issues either (they have UAC disabled), that doesn't mean the problems don't exist within GameGuard.

MountainLynx
Aug 14, 2012, 06:58 PM
Only you can start forest fires...

It's "someone's" fault for obtaining a trojan in the first place. A virus protection software will do more than UAC ever will. UAC is just an annoying burden.

And yes, I've talked to at least one other person that doesn't have any issues either (they have UAC disabled), that doesn't mean the problems don't exist within GameGuard.

I can agree that the issue is related to Gameguard. However, thanks to all of the people who aren't having problems, like myself and your friend, I'm inclined to believe that the recent update is attacking pre-existing possible exploits that people didn't even know were there before, probably created by other programs or system settings configurations.

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 07:26 PM
I can agree that the issue is related to Gameguard. However, thanks to all of the people who aren't having problems, like myself and your friend, I'm inclined to believe that the recent update is attacking pre-existing possible exploits that people didn't even know were there before, probably created by other programs or system settings configurations.

No. This problem isn't a fault of our computers.

Mikura
Aug 14, 2012, 07:54 PM
May be a dumb question but just to be clear, GG only makes your computer unstable while PSO2 is running, correct? Because I did the update lastnight without knowing any better, but thankfully I never ran into any issues. That could've just been luck though.

Reason I'm asking is because I may lay off the game for a little while until GG gets another patch that doesn't decide to fuck everything up royally. I don't like the idea of risking my computer to BSODs just because of a game. ;/

Shadowth117
Aug 14, 2012, 07:56 PM

Believe me bud, I've worked with these things a long enough time time to know what's causing this crap. I don't know that all that everyone's posted is related to GameGuard, but last I checked if problems only ever come up when a certain program is run than its generally not caused by "other programs or system settings configurations". I'm running Win 7 64 bit and as I've said before, I have NEVER had ANY problems on this computer prior to that last Gameguard update other than a few minor things that wouldn't work while, you guessed it, Gameguard just happened to be running.

Maybe you're not having problems. I don't either a lot of the time even with Gameguard going. But its absolutely the cause of some major ones. If not, than I'm sorry I didn't realize that things like my Volume Mixer and my Windows Network Diagnostics (I'm forced to use a bad, local ISP where I live that goes out often so I like to make sure that if I 630 its on my end) weren't supposed to work when certain specific programs were run.

Edit:

May be a dumb question but just to be clear, GG only makes your computer unstable while PSO2 is running, correct? Because I did the update lastnight without knowing any better, but thankfully I never ran into any issues. That could've just been luck though.

Reason I'm asking is because I may lay off the game for a little while until GG gets another patch that doesn't decide to fuck everything up royally. I don't like the idea of risking my computer to BSODs just because of a game. ;/
Probably, but as others have said this last update is installing a type of unsigned driver onto our computers which for obvious reasons is a good way to get your system screwed. I'm gonna keep playing for now, but that's definitely not something I like to see happen.

Mikura
Aug 14, 2012, 08:05 PM
Probably, but as others have said this last update is installing a type of unsigned driver onto our computers which for obvious reasons is a good way to get your system screwed. I'm gonna keep playing for now, but that's definitely not something I like to see happen.

I read somewhere though that it uninstalls it though after GG shuts down? Or am I mistaken?

Either way, it sounds like that should be illegal to even do. >_>

Shadowth117
Aug 14, 2012, 08:13 PM
I read somewhere though that it uninstalls it though after GG shuts down? Or am I mistaken?

Maybe it does, not sure. But what happens if your system crashes because of GG during play? It certainly wouldn't just uninstall then. Not sure what that does, but I'm not sure its great for your system. And yeah there's a reason why people call GG a virus :P I'm not sure on the legality of it myself, but its definitely gotta be grey area at best.

Laxedrane
Aug 14, 2012, 08:14 PM

I remember awhile back when microsoft added an update to windows that when combined with firefox and only firefox it would leave your computer dangerously open to viruses and the like. When it finally was hitting major online news sources microsoft gave the most unconvincing "Oops" they could give and slow rolled a fix.

I am gonna go with the old saying, "The law hasn't caught up with technology yet."

Ana-Chan
Aug 14, 2012, 08:51 PM
Maybe it does, not sure. But what happens if your system crashes because of GG during play? It certainly wouldn't just uninstall then. Not sure what that does, but I'm not sure its great for your system. And yeah there's a reason why people call GG a virus :P I'm not sure on the legality of it myself, but its definitely gotta be grey area at best.

First, it is not an unsigned driver on x64 versions of Windows. Unless you specifically disable the signed driver check each boot, it is impossible to turn it off. It is a signed driver, but that doesn't mean that it is any good.
Secondly, the driver does unload/uninstall after you exit PSO2, but it may not reverse all of the damage it did while active.

Darnell0216
Aug 14, 2012, 09:00 PM
Ah, this explains why I get 5 app crash and fault warnings every time PSO2 is running. And there's no pattern to what crashes, just randomness. I can't even open Adobe Reader while PSO2 is running. From the remarks on GG's past habits, a fix is not in the foreseeable future. "This whomps."

ShadowDragon28
Aug 14, 2012, 09:02 PM
Maybe it's Dark Falz possessing GG, he doesnt want filthy humans playing PSO2. :P

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 09:02 PM

It's only harmful while playing the game. The maintenance they're doing now may resolve it.

Mikura
Aug 14, 2012, 09:18 PM
It's only harmful while playing the game. The maintenance they're doing now may resolve it.

I was going to wait until after maintenance for this reason. Although I doubt it's going to resolve anything if it's just maintenance for PSO2 since GG is the issue, not the game itself.

I just don't understand why GG is so awful. Do they ever test their own updates before rolling them out to the public? I know GG has had a crappy history for years, but this seems pretty damn bad even by their own standards.

Mike
Aug 14, 2012, 09:29 PM
I was going to wait until after maintenance for this reason. Although I doubt it's going to resolve anything if it's just maintenance for PSO2 since GG is the issue, not the game itself.
I wouldn't expect it to either. Currnently, the only fixees happening during this maintenance are the ones listed here (http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=315) but with complaints coming from everybody about the nPro update, I'm surprised Sega hasn't said something.

Crystal_Shard
Aug 14, 2012, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't expect it to either. Currnently, the only fixees happening during this maintenance are the ones listed here (http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=315) but with complaints coming from everybody about the nPro update, I'm surprised Sega hasn't said something.

Could be something to do with them holding their cards close to their chest to not tip off any interested parties. Also considering how silent the GG update came along, I think any fix will be equally silent.

Gardios
Aug 14, 2012, 09:38 PM
They're probably talking with INCA first before making any official statements. I'm not expecting a fix just yet.

Silver Crow
Aug 14, 2012, 09:40 PM
Were not the only game having trouble: http://raiderz-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=7564571

Crevox
Aug 14, 2012, 10:00 PM
At the moment, there is no new update to GameGuard, and the new patch does not resolve the issue.

PSOFan123
Aug 14, 2012, 10:03 PM
No wonder! Thank goodness someone posted about this... I have a brand spankin new gaming computer that took me forever to save up for and was freaking out because I kept getting a blue screen! I thought something was seriously wrong with it. Now I know the cause... whew! I hope they fix this because I love the game to tears and even spent some AC for the first time this week to get a second mag, but this kind of hassle messing with my computer may not be worth it. *sniff* :-(

Mikura
Aug 14, 2012, 10:45 PM
At the moment, there is no new update to GameGuard, and the new patch does not resolve the issue.

I was afraid of that. Maybe if enough people complain to Sega (and I'm sure there's been a lot of complaints filed already) and Sega can relay that to INCA, they'll release another patch to resolve the issue.

Wishful thinking, I know.

BahnKnakyu
Aug 14, 2012, 11:14 PM
Are there any Windows 7 32-bit users having these problems?

I noticed a lot of people posting their problems haven't mentioned whether they have Windows 7 32 or 64-bit.

I'm in Windows 7 32-bit and I haven't been having any issues. The people I've known that have 32-bit Windows also weren't running into problems.

DarK-SuN
Aug 14, 2012, 11:31 PM
Apparently Windows XP does not have this issue (tried with my laptop and my Windows XP partition).

@BahnKnakyu: It's likely specific to Windows Vista and Windows 7 64-bit versions and likely a result of whatever "fix" they did to manage to kill Cheat Engine on 64-bit Windows Vista/7.
Seem to be such an invasive "fix" that it "unfixed" everything else to the point Windows thinks it's not genuine or crashes since half its normal tasks were closed, locked or aborted.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 14, 2012, 11:36 PM
The ironic thing is that I think Gameguard actually messes up the client for PSO2.

I ran it earlier and got two error messages, so I close them, right? Well, I exit the game, and decide I'm going to fiddle with the graphics, so I go into the options menu on the client and....

all the characters are replaced with boxes. It wasn't anything particularly 'damaging' but it was funny. Made me chuckle at least. Gameguard messing with the very thing it was meant to protect. who'dathunkit?

(checking now, everything checks out, but I've shut the tower off and back on, so....gonna have to check once servers come back up.)

PSOFan123
Aug 14, 2012, 11:51 PM
Well, I've managed to get a good look at some minidumps in regards to the BSODs for some friends of mine, and it seems like GG is managing to terminate processes critical to Windows running and these are some of the causes of the BSODs.
Oh, and just to mention, GG also managed to kill both my Windows Sound service and at least one of the processes required for my sound card to actually work too.

Wow, just went back and actually skimmed through some of the other responses. THIS must be why my sound suddenly turned off too - I was so confused and had to reboot to get my sound to come back on!! :-?

Well this totally sucks. This is the first MMO I've actually gotten addicted to since PSO1 on the Dreamcast, but I'd STILL sooner quit than go through this if it's gonna continue to crash my computer every time. How disappointing.

Oh and I have Windows 7 64-bit btw for the person asking a few posts above, so maybe that's part of it like you suggest.

Crystal_Shard
Aug 15, 2012, 12:31 AM
The ironic thing is that I think Gameguard actually messes up the client for PSO2.

You might be right on that. Ever since Sunday, I've noticed the client being a little slower than normal, and having a little more lag than normal, even when I was in a block with a small number of people. It hasn't broken things for me such that it's unplayable, but it's still annoying.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 15, 2012, 12:35 AM
You might be right on that. Ever since Sunday, I've noticed the client being a little slower than normal, and having a little more lag than normal, even when I was in a block with a small number of people. It hasn't broken things for me such that it's unplayable, but it's still annoying.

huh, I noticed that as well, but I was fiddling with graphics, so I just thought it was my system getting used to things..

Crystal_Shard
Aug 15, 2012, 12:39 AM
huh, I noticed that as well, but I was fiddling with graphics, so I just thought it was my system getting used to things..

Nope, I wasn't fiddling with my GFX settings at all, so I think it's also GG's fault. Vunderful work nPro. :P

saruish
Aug 15, 2012, 03:04 AM
I just experience some issues as well.. but I reset my PC and now I'm not having issues that I know of.

Jay6
Aug 15, 2012, 03:22 AM
Amazing. Just tried playing the game just now, went to look up a website, and firefox doesn't respond. Then PSO2 crashed. I did the same thing again, and got the same error. -.-;

Husq
Aug 15, 2012, 04:13 AM
Don't know if it was caused by the lasted pso2 (minor) update, but fraps and afterburner are working again on my system (win7 pro x64)

Crevox
Aug 15, 2012, 04:15 AM
My issues still currently exist, though there may have been a GameGuard update while I'm still playing.

MCF
Aug 15, 2012, 04:20 AM
now i know why my anti-virus + pso2 suddenly bosd!

Arios
Aug 15, 2012, 05:07 AM
SEGA finaly said something on their site. Check it folks, if you haven't already.

Here's Bumped's translation of Sega's announcement:

http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-nprotect-gameguard-issues-8152012/

saruish
Aug 15, 2012, 05:50 AM
SEGA finaly said something on their site. Check it folks, if you haven't already.

Here's Bumped's translation of Sega's announcement:

http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-nprotect-gameguard-issues-8152012/

Oh wow what do yea know. they might actually come thre for us.

Takatsuki
Aug 15, 2012, 06:04 AM
So will anything bad happen if your PC BSODs because of this? Like, can you just reboot it and it'll be fine?

Crevox
Aug 15, 2012, 06:05 AM
So will anything bad happen if your PC BSODs because of this? Like, can you just reboot it and it'll be fine?

It'll be fine, but some data may be lost for programs if they were doing something critical when it BSOD.

It's generally not a good thing for windows to hard shut down, but it's usually fine.

Sp-24
Aug 15, 2012, 06:05 AM
It reboots automatically and probably doesn't cause any serious damage but, as it has been said before, BSoD is never a good thing.

Drekko
Aug 15, 2012, 08:21 AM
I must say, that I am happy that ZA prevents GG from accessing critical system proccess on my laptop. So haven't ran into any of the issues people are having

Ana-Chan
Aug 15, 2012, 08:42 AM

Hardware wise, not really.
Software wise it is possible to get data loss/data corruption issues. If you were copying something on your harddisk, or not long finished copying you may also end up with data loss with those files copied. Windows does something called write behind caching. So if there is data in the cache and the system blue screens, then there is a pretty high possibility that the cache will not get written to disk. There is also the fact that any programs running will not get closed properly, so they could end up with corruption, or at the very worst, unrunnable.
Finally, it is possible to get file system consistancy errors from this. FAT32 was especially prone to this, but NTFS was pretty sturdy. The reason why NTFS is more sturdy is that it keeps a journal of operations that it is doing, and if it cuts out in the middle of doing this, the driver redoes all of these actions when Windows restarts. But the draw back to this is that it only goes through the file system metadata (the data about what is stored on disk) so if a file was copied but only half of it written to disk, then it will not just copy the rest of the file.

Clunker
Aug 15, 2012, 09:14 AM
Popped on for then first time since Friday.
Game and GG both seemed to update (at least I think GG did).

Using Win 7 64 bit here.

Only played about in lobby for 5-10 minutes, but everything seemed good.
However, I didn't attempt to run anything else besides PSO2, either.

I'll test more after work...

MountainLynx
Aug 15, 2012, 10:18 AM
Believe me bud, I've worked with these things a long enough time time to know what's causing this crap. I don't know that all that everyone's posted is related to GameGuard, but last I checked if problems only ever come up when a certain program is run than its generally not caused by "other programs or system settings configurations". I'm running Win 7 64 bit and as I've said before, I have NEVER had ANY problems on this computer prior to that last Gameguard update other than a few minor things that wouldn't work while, you guessed it, Gameguard just happened to be running.

Maybe you're not having problems. I don't either a lot of the time even with Gameguard going. But its absolutely the cause of some major ones. If not, than I'm sorry I didn't realize that things like my Volume Mixer and my Windows Network Diagnostics (I'm forced to use a bad, local ISP where I live that goes out often so I like to make sure that if I 630 its on my end) weren't supposed to work when certain specific programs were run.

I never said Gameguard wasn't a necessary part of the issue. My point is that other (seemingly easy to create) conditions need to be met before Gameguard will start attacking system files. If Gameguard were the only necessary condition, we would all be seeing the same issues, all of the time. And clearly, that's not the case. Even among those who are having problems, the symptoms are varied. So yes, Gameguard is responding to some group of conditions which, though not noticeable on their own, were already there before Gameguard updated, and are not present on every user's machine, making it part of the problem, rather than the entire problem.

Ana-Chan
Aug 15, 2012, 10:50 AM
Fresh install of Windows 7 x64 set to all Japanese settings (including UI, but that is not needed), all updates, all up to date drivers, the only thing installed is PSO2 resulted in a blue screen after 20 minutes. From the minidump that I grabbed from it, wininit.exe terminated.
This is more luck than anything as those people getting hit constantly have problems. So maybe this is seriously a case of the driver doing stuff that doesn't work well with some hardware configurations but ok with others?

BahnKnakyu
Aug 15, 2012, 08:16 PM
Apparently Windows XP does not have this issue (tried with my laptop and my Windows XP partition).

@BahnKnakyu: It's likely specific to Windows Vista and Windows 7 64-bit versions and likely a result of whatever "fix" they did to manage to kill Cheat Engine on 64-bit Windows Vista/7.
Seem to be such an invasive "fix" that it "unfixed" everything else to the point Windows thinks it's not genuine or crashes since half its normal tasks were closed, locked or aborted.

That's my theory, and the reason why Windows XP users are unaffected is because most XP users are using the 32-bit version. The 64-bit XP is like the redheaded stepchild of Microsoft OSes, much like WinME - came out at a REALLY weird time when nobody really was looking for it, so assume that whenever we're talking about an XP user, they're a 32-bit user.

Daiyousei
Aug 15, 2012, 08:27 PM
Tried to open firefox with the game running, froze up.

Also I read elsewhere that other games that use GameGuard also had the same problems occur after the update. Including some BSOD stories.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 15, 2012, 08:30 PM
Had a windows update today, now it seems everything is working fine for me+^_^+

Darnell0216
Aug 15, 2012, 08:46 PM
Happened to open my task manager after playing PSO2 today and found several processes on my computer had been "suspended" including multiple error alerts. I did not realize GG had that much power over the system. I'm glad SegaJP took notice and I hope a fix is on the way.

Crevox
Aug 16, 2012, 12:00 AM
Had a windows update today, now it seems everything is working fine for me+^_^+

I can confirm that Windows Update did not resolve my issues.

Macman
Aug 16, 2012, 12:16 AM
This is more luck than anything as those people getting hit constantly have problems. So maybe this is seriously a case of the driver doing stuff that doesn't work well with some hardware configurations but ok with others?
Wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure their testing is about on par with the quality of Sega's testing.
"Hmm, it works on this specific hardware/software set just fine, so it should work for everyone!"

Chik'Tikka
Aug 16, 2012, 12:19 AM
I can confirm that Windows Update did not resolve my issues.

same, after about an hour and a half, my Firefox started cringing and freezing on me, on the plus side task manager seems to work fine again+^_^+

Enforcer MKV
Aug 16, 2012, 12:32 AM
So hilarious. I've been waiting for this day. The reason people could cheat so blatantly in PSO2 before was because PSO2's GG was more or less blind to native 64-bit stuff. PROBLEM SOLVED, FOLKS. Know who should really be pissed about this? SEGA.

However much they're paying nProtect for this bullshit, it probably isn't cheap.

Maybe, just maybe, they'll go with someone better if this isn't resolved in a timely and efficient manner.

Renzer
Aug 16, 2012, 12:55 AM
Yeah I just made a technical thread about different issues I'm having.

For me I can't shutdown, restart, or log off my computer every time I close PSO2.

Another thing is PSO2 chugs my computer more than it did before. With my current unchanged graphics settings I never really got any severe frame rate lag, and now I am.

Lastly, after I close PSO2, my computer is stuck at running at 100% CPU usage despite PSO2 and Game Guard not being in my current running processes in my Task Manager which in most cases I can't even CTRL ALT DELETE to get it up.

I really hope the Japanese players are having as much trouble as us, because if they are, SEGA has to do something for them. They're the main consumer lol.

Aegea
Aug 16, 2012, 01:36 AM
The Koreans have finally started to stop using Gameguard in their games. So who knows.

I didn't run into any problems myself, but I know Gameguard is a POS.

AnnabellaRenee87
Aug 16, 2012, 01:57 AM
Crazy idea, why not go to Valve and say "Hey Valve can you host our game client and secure the files using VAC?" No too easy.

Are there any ways to get around that? Yes. Are there ways around Game Guard? Yes. At the end of the day why does it matter there are people that are going to want to violate the system.

When playing PC games if I don't get the steam overlay I don't play it. Guess I wont be playing for a while.

"Oh crap, I have almost 200 games in Steam"

Crevox
Aug 16, 2012, 03:50 AM
If only it were that simple :p

Punisher106
Aug 16, 2012, 12:56 PM
http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-nprotect-gameguard-issues-8152012/ Here's some info on the deal. According to a recent post, it apparently pushed a patch.

Arios
Aug 16, 2012, 12:59 PM
http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-nprotect-gameguard-issues-8152012/ Here's some info on the deal. According to a recent post, it apparently pushed a patch.

Yeah, saw the japanese talk about it earlier. Can't confirm because i can't acess my PC right now.

Ana-Chan
Aug 16, 2012, 01:07 PM
There was one, and it no longer loads that driver in. Really looks like they just undid what they did with the 64 bit update.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 16, 2012, 01:10 PM
Can anyone confirm this? I've decided against playing PSO2 for the time being once I found out Gameguard now has the potential to invalidate my copy of Windows.

Seriously, FFS, Sega, just let me Paradi Cataract nProtect Headquarters, please?

I'll make it quick for them. D:

rysashiii
Aug 16, 2012, 01:13 PM
Anyone else having an issue with gameguard and using win 32?

Does anyone know how to make exceptions for PSO2 with eset and comodo?

I've been going through all my processes and deleting them to minimize the chance of programs interfering with PSO2 or GG.

Still stuck!!! :D

Insane food dish
Aug 16, 2012, 01:22 PM
Every-time i open up the On-Screen Keyboard to take pictures GG causes me to BSOD. I don't have a Physical Print Screen button.:-(

HFlowen
Aug 16, 2012, 01:28 PM
Every-time i open up the On-Screen Keyboard to take pictures GG causes me to BSOD. I don't have a Physical Print Screen button.:-(

I'm pretty sure the game has a screenshot button under the quick menu.

The Walrus
Aug 16, 2012, 01:32 PM
Or you could just press Prntscrn

Daiyousei
Aug 16, 2012, 01:36 PM
Food dish specifically said that he doesn't have a print screen key

Also another problem that came up with me is EVGA Precision, I always have the thing open when I need to adjust some stuff, especially temperature management in the heat of summer, and sometimes it'll lock at 50 mhz clock, causing the game to run in slow motion. Easily fixed by adjusting the clock again and clicking apply, another thing I noticed after the update was that my 550 Ti was actually running cooler with the same settings.

rysashiii
Aug 16, 2012, 01:38 PM
Still nothing about win32 gameguard crashing?

Husq
Aug 16, 2012, 02:34 PM
Anyone else having an issue with gameguard and using win 32?

Does anyone know how to make exceptions for PSO2 with eset and comodo?

I've been going through all my processes and deleting them to minimize the chance of programs interfering with PSO2 or GG.

Still stuck!!! :D

Comondo tends to sandbox unknown applications. Just open up comondo, then launch pso2 into the game, alt-tab back to comondo. Under summary look at defense+. You should see some applications that are sandboxed, just click on the number and another menu should pop up. There you just have to declare pso2 and probably gameguard as trusted applications. Afterwards exit pso2 and relaunch it again. It shouldn't be sandboxed anymore, until the next update..

rysashiii
Aug 16, 2012, 02:53 PM
Hey Alsatian,

Problem is PSO2 doesn't even launch, i'm stuck at where gameguard at the top left patches and stops there. The game doesn't load its GUI. I'll try again and see how it goes. I've put pso2 and gameguard as trusted applications.

Thanks!

AnnabellaRenee87
Aug 16, 2012, 02:55 PM
I think I am going to throw a curve ball at GameGuard, I have an Itanium based system laying around in storage, its got a PCI-e slot in it. Lets see if it works on Server 2008 R2 IA, Video drivers may not be there -_-

rysashiii
Aug 16, 2012, 02:57 PM
My defense+ events say that gamemon.des was accessing memory and was under the list you suggested. When I rightclick the entry and go "add to trusted files" it gives me this.

c://directory to the game/gamemon.des is already a safe file.

Any help?

Ana-Chan
Aug 16, 2012, 03:05 PM
I think I am going to throw a curve ball at GameGuard, I have an Itanium based system laying around in storage, its got a PCI-e slot in it. Lets see if it works on Server 2008 R2 IA, Video drivers may not be there -_-

It probably won't, I don't think DirectX was emulated.

rysashiii
Aug 16, 2012, 03:12 PM
Hi Ana,

I'm still trying to get the game to load XD

Would you happen to have any more tips for me to try? I've done all the restarting and deleting gameguard's folder, they just respawn and give me the same error

Was there a prob with my dxdiag report?

rysashiii
Aug 16, 2012, 03:20 PM
Sigh, I don't understand it. I clearly put all the .exe files under pso2 in the trusted files. Yet comodo still blocks it as an intrusion. Even when I click it to change it as an exception it says its already a trusted file.

How frustrating...

NightfallG
Aug 16, 2012, 03:23 PM
Sigh, I don't understand it. I clearly put all the .exe files under pso2 in the trusted files. Yet comodo still blocks it as an intrusion. Even when I click it to change it as an exception it says its already a trusted file.

How frustrating...

It could just be Comodo being a pile.

rysashiii
Aug 16, 2012, 03:25 PM
I disabled both defense + and firewall. Gonna try again.