PDA

View Full Version : Adding Abilities is not Adding

Sephirah
Aug 14, 2012, 08:11 AM
Just making this thread incase anyone has yet to experience this first hand.

The term "Add Ability" is somewhat misleading when modifying items, as you are not "Adding" them. You are replacing them.

So if you find an item with a great modification on it, don't get the idea that you can just add another ability to that item and keep it's existing modifications. If you have an item with 1 Ability, and try to add 1 more, it will replace that 1 with your new one. Another example of how this can work, is say you have an item with 2 or 3 abilities already on it, and you want to add one more, it will replace all of them and only you'll be left with only the ability you just added.

I've ruined 2 items this way and wasted about 100k by thinking I could add abilities to them, only to have their unique effect removed.

jooozek
Aug 14, 2012, 08:37 AM
Uh, you aren't replacing them, you are keeping the current ones and adding new ones, whether you manage to succeed depends on your luck.

Fox2Tails
Aug 14, 2012, 08:43 AM
No you're not

Sephirah
Aug 14, 2012, 08:44 AM
Uh, you aren't replacing them, you are keeping the current ones and adding new ones, whether you manage to succeed depends on your luck.

No you're not, you're replacing them.

Exactly what happened:

Had an Axion with Another History on it, and NOTHING ELSE.

Added Gwenda Soul, succeeded, and now it ONLY has Gwenda Soul.

The first time this happened to me, I had an Axion with Another History and something like Tech 1, I added Power 1 and it replaced BOTH effects, and only had the power effect left.

DoubleCannon
Aug 14, 2012, 08:46 AM
you CAN just add abilities actually. see that RED spot, its the additional ability however the chances decrease for all ability success rates the more you try to add. Getting up to 3 is my limit

lagnarok
Aug 14, 2012, 08:46 AM
You can add ability. It's not misleading.
Ex. Try adding shoot I to weapon with Technic I. You can add it with 80% success ratio (each), ending up with 2 ability-weapon.
Only things that would be different are soul type abilities and unique ones that you can add to special weapons (like exp boost).

You need at least 2 soul abilities to retain or add that ability, with 50% success.
If you were trying to add an ability to soul-type gear, you need at least 1 more weap/unit that has the same exact soul.

Edit: And abilities on special weapons cannot be retained. (exp boost, meseta feever, lucky rise, and another history)

Sephirah
Aug 14, 2012, 08:47 AM
You can add ability. It's not misleading.
Ex. Try adding shoot I to weapon with Technic I. You can add it with 80% success ratio (each), ending up with 2 ability-weapon.
Only things that would be different are soul type abilities and unique ones that you can add to special weapons (like exp boost).

You need at least 2 soul abilities to retain or add that ability, with 50% success.
If you were trying to add an ability to soul-type gear, you need at least 1 more weap/unit that has the same exact soul.

Then please explain why this happened:

The first time this happened to me, I had an Axion with Another History and something like Tech 1, I added Power 1 and it replaced BOTH effects, and only had the power effect left.

DoubleCannon
Aug 14, 2012, 08:48 AM

Exactly what happened:

you replace if you WANT to replace, you do not have to replace you can keep the exact abilities on your current weapon unless mutation / soul which requires the material item to also have that same ability. I am finding you have not really experienced yet on the system? it is not misleading at all

To your question, because if you looked before you hit GO you would see each ability has a % chance of succeeding, Soul is 50% I dunno the another history but probably 50-60% so if you seen after you did the ability thing it would show successful / failed

gigawuts
Aug 14, 2012, 08:48 AM

Exactly what happened:

Right, certain affixes cannot be transferred or retained at all.

If your weapon has Another History, Exp Boost, Meseta Fever, or Lucky Rise the only way to keep those affixes is to never try to change the affixes. You can put three items with those in, and it won't stay. Those are special cases.

Go try affixes something with, like, Power and Stamina.

Sephirah
Aug 14, 2012, 08:49 AM
you replace if you WANT to replace, you do not have to replace you can keep the exact abilities on your current weapon unless mutation / soul which requires the material item to also have that same ability. I am finding you have not really experienced yet on the system? it is not misleading at all

Why the hell would I remove the Another History effect? It never gave me the option to pick anything, it just replaced whatever was on there with what was being added.

Sp-24
Aug 14, 2012, 08:52 AM
You selected what you wanted to add yourself. It didn't "replace" anything.

Sephirah
Aug 14, 2012, 08:54 AM
You selected what you wanted to add yourself. It didn't "replace" anything.

gigawuts already answered this. It DOES replace them, but only the special abilities like Another History, which was the reason I made this thread. So while not entirely true, this is partially true for items with Another History or Meseta Fever etc.

DoubleCannon
Aug 14, 2012, 08:56 AM
Why the hell would I remove the Another History effect? It never gave me the option to pick anything, it just replaced whatever was on there with what was being added.

hmm so when you selected your weapon you say another history was not on the list to be chosen? in this case I am not sure, perhaps its an ability that requires the material item to also have it. I should give it a go.

But other than that, the term add abilities is still not misleading since I made this unit go from 0-3 abilities then I did a change of abilities

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/2615/pso20120813205704007.jpg

So I have added abilities but then I replaced the old abilities with level 2 abilities and a soul. I should try this another history thing though myself

Lyric
Aug 14, 2012, 08:58 AM
It really isn't misleading. When trying to add abilities, you have to select the abilities you want to keep on the current weapon first, and then select the ability you want to add in the red 'extra' slot. So say a sword has power 1 and you want to add poison 1. Select power 1 first, and then select poison for the red 'add slot'

gigawuts
Aug 14, 2012, 08:58 AM
Well, no, it doesn't replace them. At all.

The affix system is a bit unintuitive. You have slots. These slots can't be left empty. What's in these slots doesn't matter, so long as something is there then the slot exists. You can increase the number of slots, but when you try to do this each existing slot has a reduced chance of succeeding. You can take a regular rank 1 affix like Power I or Stamina I and try to put it on a weapon with 1 affix slot. It will work with 100% success. However, you can try to add both Power I and Stamina I to an item with 1 affix slot, but BOTH of those affixes will have a chance of failing. If one fails you're back down to one affix slot. If both fail you're down to zero affix slots. These slots aren't like armor/frames in PSO1, or like the percentages on weapons in PSO1. There's not really anything to compare this system to in any other game I know of.

Basically, the only way to increase the number of affixes on a weapon is to try to apply an extra affix. That's why there's an extra slot on the screen when selecting affixes.

Just go spend 10k on 2 star items and tinker with it like most of us did to figure it out.

Sephirah
Aug 14, 2012, 08:59 AM
hmm so when you selected your weapon you say another history was not on the list to be chosen? in this case I am not sure, perhaps its an ability that requires the material item to also have it. I should give it a go.

But other than that, the term add abilities is still not misleading since I made this unit go from 0-3 abilities then I did a change of abilities

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/2615/pso20120813205704007.jpg

So I have added abilities but then I replaced the old abilities with level 2 abilities and a soul. I should try this another history thing though myself

I'd love for you to try it, simply to have another person see exactly what I'm talking about, but don't expect to keep that effect.

Sp-24
Aug 14, 2012, 08:59 AM
Some abilities are just untranferrable, like Lucky Rise and Another History. You are given a list of abilities that you can add to your item after selecting 2-3 items, and can choose from those.

DoubleCannon
Aug 14, 2012, 09:02 AM
Just go spend 10k on 2 star items and tinker with it like most of us did to figure it out.

haha why go 2 when you can go buy 4! then go for a crazy ability add and if you get super lucky you can keep it for an ability change on a 4 ability rare :) if Doo-Doo is really nice you will end up with an uber rare :) otherwise you will end up with massive dissapointment punching your screen as if its Doo-Doo's face

Sephirah
Aug 14, 2012, 09:03 AM
Ok, in an attempt to get everyone on the same page...

I made this thread because I was dealing specifically with the Another History effect.

If what everyone is saying is true, this is a special ability which will be REMOVED if you try to add any additional abilities, which is why it appeared to be "Replaced"

Normal abilities however, appear to be able to be added normally.

DonMakaveli
Aug 14, 2012, 09:14 AM
..Yes what they are saying is true for how long have you been playing this? It's all on bumped's guide.

http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-guide-list/

jooozek
Aug 14, 2012, 09:16 AM
I made this thread because I was dealing specifically with the Another History effect.

Good that you mentioned that in your first post :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Cyclon
Aug 14, 2012, 10:42 AM
Hm... OP, allow me to make sure you're not misunderstanding here.

Are you referring to the "add abilities" as one of the three main functions of Doo-doo's shop, or as one of the uses of the former?

UnLucky
Aug 14, 2012, 11:02 AM
well you don't really add or replace exactly

you remove everything on the items, mix them all up, throw it back in the pot, and hope for the best

some sacrifices are necessary for progression