PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Japanese so obsessed with "white"?

FlameOfYagami
Aug 14, 2012, 11:21 AM
I mean I see a ton of blonde characters mostly female. I also notice this on JP PSU aswell. I am constantly running into blonde girls all the time and I don't even play in block 20. Now i'm not saying there's something wrong with this, but it does get me thinking. They are so into JP ONLY yet they are here playing with white blonde western looking characters.

My guess is that JP guys really like our woman :)

Even Sega does it when they "promote" their new AC clothes the "models' for the clothes are a white girl and a white blonde male.

I think it's funny too because this game is Japan ONLY, yet most of the NPC (if not all) have western names and such.

I don't see anything that resembles Japanese culture aside from little things like the Yukata wear and such everything else seems to be heavily based on western things.

eharima
Aug 14, 2012, 11:24 AM
its pure.

Chacron
Aug 14, 2012, 11:26 AM
I see more characters that have wildly different colors, most of which aren't blonde.

Most of the NPC's names aren't western, in fact then tend to be made up spacey names. Some are western, most aren't.

Most of the culture is based on futuristic tropes, I'm not seeing the western things you are...

FlameOfYagami
Aug 14, 2012, 11:31 AM
Well most names that are translated (from the patch) translate into western type names. I dont see how you can't see that.

"Franca" that's not a Japanese name. "Jose" not Japanese, Tea, Patty, Cressida, Helena, etc etc. the list goes on.

Sure the names are writen in Japanese but they translate into a western type name. They dont translate into japanese type names like "Daigo Umehara". Again I dont see how you can miss this.

I also play with 90% japanese players. (like I said never on block 20) Everytime there's atleast one or two blonde female characters in the party. That's just our party too not the multi party area.

Kondibon
Aug 14, 2012, 11:40 AM
The series has had "western" themes since it's beginnings.

Blonde hair on a fictional character has nothing to do with their ethnicity especially in a setting where that doesn't even apply. :I

drizzle
Aug 14, 2012, 11:41 AM
They all have black hair over there. Blonde is exotic!

Halcyote
Aug 14, 2012, 11:44 AM
itt: japanese people are only supposed to have japanese names and a stereotypical east asian look and can't take cues from western culture

Kondibon
Aug 14, 2012, 11:45 AM
They all have black hair over there. Blonde is exotic!

Along with every other color in the rainbow. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YouGottaHaveBlueHair)

Halcyote
Aug 14, 2012, 11:47 AM
Along with every other color in the rainbow. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YouGottaHaveBlueHair)
except blonde otherwise they are trying to be white people according to the op

this fucking topic man.

Sp-24
Aug 14, 2012, 11:48 AM
White hair = western influence, black hair = middle eastern influence, blue hair = Japanese influence.

Akaimizu
Aug 14, 2012, 11:49 AM
True. Though I would imagine blonde would be a bit of a fascination. Heck, remember Ganguro? A fad that went to dark skin but still often with the blonde hair. :)

Though funny enough, in much Japanese anime, the sure-fire mark of the exotic foreigner, from the west, was the blonde hair.

Kondibon
Aug 14, 2012, 11:52 AM
except blonde otherwise they are trying to be white people according to the op

this fucking topic man.And of course everyone with dark skin must be from Africa. Melanesian? Whats that?

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 14, 2012, 11:53 AM
I really don't like where this thread may be going, lol.

Kondibon
Aug 14, 2012, 11:54 AM

I didn't like where it STARTED. I just don't get to bring up the whole blond Melanesian thing very often.

Sizustar
Aug 14, 2012, 11:56 AM
I don't see the western influence, unless you're talking extremely broad generalization.

Silver Crow
Aug 14, 2012, 11:56 AM
This is such a dumb thread, im sorry but the question is stupid. This is a fantasy game, they can make a green haired fat midget if they wanted. If it's common to make blondies then so what?

JeyKama
Aug 14, 2012, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure where you're looking at, but using the super-scientific method of looking around block 11 right now, I see exactly 3 chick avatars that are legit blonde (and one is a cast, doesn't count! j/k) If anything I'd say redheads are overrepresented.

Still, PS is set in a universe where more than likely Japan never existed (other than the whole speaking only Japanese thing), so why not play a blonde character?

Kondibon
Aug 14, 2012, 11:58 AM
I don't see the western influence, unless you're talking extremely broad generalization.
I see plenty of western influence, but I certainly don't think it means that the japanse are "obsessed with "white"" whatever the heck that means. It's just an a part of the game, like how Star Wars had a lot of eastern influences.

FlameOfYagami
Aug 14, 2012, 12:08 PM

These type of topics don't tend to go well i'm aware of that, but it's not because of the topic at hand, it's the way the people here treat the topic itself.

IMO it's a legit topic. However it's not something to be taken very seriously.

It's just something that i've noticed. I even mention that I don't see ANYTHING WRONG with it. yet you have people coming at me as i'm I said otherwise =/

It's perfectly fine to make blonde characters. However when Sega has the whole "JP ONLY" thing going on it makes one wonder.

It's like those JP PSU rooms with "JP ONLY!!!" With 3 blonde characters in the party.

It's like "Ok you don't want us on your game, but you sure love the way we look"

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 14, 2012, 12:15 PM
These type of topics don't tend to go well i'm aware of that, but it's not because of the topic at hand, it's the way the people here treat the topic itself.

IMO it's a legit topic. However it's not something to be taken very seriously.

It's just something that i've noticed. I even mention that I don't see ANYTHING WRONG with it. yet you have people coming at me as i'm I said otherwise =/

It's perfectly fine to make blonde characters. However when Sega has the whole "JP ONLY" thing going on it makes one wonder.

It's like those JP PSU rooms with "JP ONLY!!!" With 3 blonde characters in the party.

It's like "Ok you don't want us on your game, but you sure love the way we look"

>posts a thread asking why Japanese people are obsessed with "white" people
>wonders why they don't want us in their game, but love the way we look
>leaves out the fact that some Westerners like the way Japanese women look, but don't want them in our country
>claims it's legit

Seems legit.

Halcyote
Aug 14, 2012, 12:17 PM
op are you white?

because that would explain this whole topic, tbh

Sp-24
Aug 14, 2012, 12:17 PM
>posts a thread asking why Japanese people are obsessed with "white" people
>wonders why they don't want us in their game, but love the way we look
>leaves out the fact that some Westerners like the way Japanese women look, but don't want them in our country
>claims it's legit

Seems legit.

That totally happened.

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 14, 2012, 12:22 PM
That totally happened.

Why do you think I said "leaves out the fact" ? Lol. I grew up with a few guys in high school that were like that. They didn't mind looking at Japanese girls, but when it came to immigration and all that, they got all patriotic and were all, "Nah, fuck them. They need to go back to where they belong" Granted, I grew up in the 'deep south' of the United States, so their parents probably filled their heads with all sorts of crazy shit.

Point is, we like stuff from their country all the time, yet when they decide to start liking something and displaying that as well, it suddenly becomes a problem? Guess the baka gaijin better stop wearing their yukatas then.

I told you guys I didn't like where this was going, lol. When you ask why a race of people like or dislike something, you're just opening a huge can of worms that should be left alone.

Coatl
Aug 14, 2012, 12:22 PM
Guys my friend characters have blue hair should I blacklist them before they try to convert me into japan-ism? D:

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 14, 2012, 12:24 PM
Guys my friend characters have blue hair should I blacklist them before they try to convert me into japan-ism? D:

Ask your friend what nationality he/she is so we can make a new thread and ask why his/her people are obsessed with blue hair.

Kimil Adrayne
Aug 14, 2012, 12:24 PM

In game or people? You know all those weird futuristic letters on everything in game? They are the roman alphabet, the on that we use, just stylized. they spell out English words. I say the environment of this game is western influenced. Look at them tuxedoes and dresses.

FlameOfYagami
Aug 14, 2012, 12:27 PM
Why do you think I said "leaves out the fact" ? Lol. I grew up with a few guys in high school that were like that. They didn't mind looking at Japanese girls, but when it came to immigration and all that, they got all patriotic and were all, "Nah, fuck them. They need to go back to where they belong" Granted, I grew up in the 'deep south' of the United States, so their parents probably filled their heads with all sorts of crazy shit.

Point is, we like stuff from their country all the time, yet when they decide to start liking something and displaying that as well, it suddenly becomes a problem? Guess the baka gaijin better stop wearing their yukatas then.

I told you guys I didn't like where this was going, lol. When you ask why a race of people like or dislike something, you're just opening a huge can of worms that should be left alone.

Problem here is that you are putting that on ME.

Just because you grew up with people like that doesn't mean that i'm doing that too =/

Plus not only that, you are also putting words in my mouth. I don't know if you are doing this on purpose, but i've already said (plenty of times now go back and read please) that I do not ahev a problem with them liking the "blonde" look. hell I don't blame them white woman are very pretty so why should I find that offensive or dislike it?

However, when you say things like "Oh I grew up with people that liked Japanese woman, but when something happened they got all racist and ****" and put that on me as if I was the one doing that.

Don't let your everday life experinces cloud your judgement. This was just something i've noticed and decided to ask in the forum to get some opinions on the matter. However everyone seems to really dislike this and is already up in arms about it, by putting false words in my mouth and even trying to make me look racist.

TaigaUC
Aug 14, 2012, 12:32 PM
If you're looking for it, it's easy to see what you want to see. In other words, if you create a hypothesis, you look for evidence to suggest that it's correct. In reality, things aren't that simple, even if it may seem that way. You should also be looking for evidence that suggests that your hypothesis may be wrong. For example, it's possible that the people with Western names written in katakana or even hiragana or kanji may actually not be Japanese. I know I'm not.

However, I think it's true that people in general are often fascinated with other countries and cultures. I've known people who argue that Japanese strive to be American because they have an inferiority complex for being defeated. I don't know how true that is, as those people may be biased or ignorant, but I'm sure that if it were true, it definitely cannot apply to every Japanese person.

Also, while it is true that Asian standards for beauty often seem to incorporate attributes of "white" people (such as pale skin), it does not mean that Asians want to be "white". There's a difference between attributes that are perceived as beautiful, and envying another race so much that you attempt to mimic their appearance. If I'm not mistaken, Asians generally agree that Western women tend to look manly, which is usually perceived as not attractive. That already suggests that it's not simply a matter of wanting to be "white".

Kondibon
Aug 14, 2012, 12:36 PM
Plus not only that, you are also putting words in my mouth. I don't know if you are doing this on purpose, but i've already said (plenty of times now go back and read please) that I do not ahev a problem with them liking the "blonde" look. hell I don't blame them white woman are very pretty so why should I find that offensive or dislike it?
My issue with all of this is that you seem to think that because they have a blonde character that it has something to do with the character being "white". Plenty of people dye or bleach their hair in real life, that has nothing to do with them wanting to be a different ethnicity most of the time (if ever). I personally make my characters lighter skinned than my self but I'm not not "obsessed" with white gurls, so I don't see why japanese players making characters with blonde hair has anything to do with some sort of cultural obsession.

It's like "Ok you don't want us on your game, but you sure love the way we look"I should also add that this is a moot point. It most likey has more to do with the fear of the language barrier than anything. This IS still a japanese game, so I don't see why them saying they only want to play with japanese players has anything to do with this.

NoiseHERO
Aug 14, 2012, 12:38 PM
I knew I smelled a racially sensitive back-draft somewhere on this board...

FlameOfYagami
Aug 14, 2012, 12:39 PM
If you're looking for it, it's easy to see what you want to see. In other words, if you create a hypothesis, you look for evidence to suggest that it's correct. In reality, things aren't that simple, even if it may seem that way. You should also be looking for evidence that suggests that your hypothesis may be wrong. For example, it's possible that the people with Western names written in katakana or even hiragana or kanji may actually not be Japanese. I know I'm not.

However, I think it's true that people in general are often fascinated with other countries and cultures. I've known people who argue that Japanese strive to be American because they have an inferiority complex for being defeated. I don't know how true that is, as those people may be biased or ignorant, but I'm sure that if it were true, it definitely cannot apply to every Japanese person.

Also, while it is true that Asian standards for beauty often seem to incorporate attributes of "white" people (such as pale skin), it does not mean that Asians want to be "white". There's a difference between attributes that are perceived as beautiful, and envying another race so much that you attempt to mimic their appearance. If I'm not mistaken, Asians generally agree that Western women tend to look manly, which is usually perceived as not attractive. That already suggests that it's not simply a matter of wanting to be "white".

Hmm, maybe the "obsessed" part was a bit harsh but my point still stands. I actually did a little bit of googling and it turn out what you say is somewhat true. It seems like they associate "beauty" with "white".

You can even see this in the SEGA example that I gaved. The models for the AC clothing are both blondes male/female. My guess is that they feel that "white" is the overall liked/accepted color so they just roll with it.

I mean Sega could have easily made thsoe models look a little more asian/japanese, but insted they have blue eyes/white skin/blonde hair.

It's little things like that, that made me use the "obsessed" word so for that I appologize.

Halcyote
Aug 14, 2012, 12:44 PM
However everyone seems to really dislike this and is already up in arms about it, by putting false words in my mouth and even trying to make me look racist.
oh no i apologize on the behalf of everyone in this thread trying to make you look racist when your statements about your observations of a japanese online game with an extensive character customization system already have shown that you hold racist ideologies.

my bad, broham.

anyway since your observations are worth merit, i'm a black person considering getting red hair does that mean i want to be scottish or irish? ty in advance for your prompt reply

NoiseHERO
Aug 14, 2012, 12:46 PM
I'm a black person considering getting red hair does that mean i want to be scottish or irish? ty in advance for your prompt reply

NO NO, I KNOW THIS ONE!

You want to be a racially ambiguous anime character with Red hair right?

Kondibon
Aug 14, 2012, 12:47 PM
It seems like they associate "beauty" with "white".

Time for a little history lesson. First of all in most east asian cultures as far as I know the literall color white is associated with death.

The association of beauty with pale skin in japan is older than the western influence on the country. From what I remember it had something to with very light skin being a sign that a woman spent a lot of time indoors (and thus were well bred/taken care of), rather than working out in fields or what have you. So that in and of it's self has nothing to do with western influence.

As for your example that sega doesn't make the characters look japanese enough, it shold be noted that only two (7, sorry, I stand by my case as far as npcs are concerned though) default characters have blonde hair and most of the npcs are all over the place. There's no denying that the game has a western influence. You shouldn't act like it's surprising that all the characters aren't "japanese" enough.

Halcyote
Aug 14, 2012, 12:51 PM
NO NO, I KNOW THIS ONE!

You want to be a racially ambiguous anime character with Red hair right?
it's only to promote that we truly live in a post-racial society

that reminds me i need circle lenses to complete this look

FlameOfYagami
Aug 14, 2012, 12:51 PM
oh no i apologize on the behalf of everyone in this thread trying to make you look racist when your statements about your observations of a japanese online game with an extensive character customization system already have shown that you hold racist ideologies.

my bad, broham.

anyway since your observations are worth merit, i'm a black person considering getting red hair does that mean i want to be scottish or irish? ty in advance for your prompt reply

I hold racist ideologies because i'm simply asking why JP players love the blonde look so much? Plus I already appologized for the miss used of the "obsessed" word.

HOWEVER, if you really are a black person then I can understand why you would think that of me. Unfortunately, most black people are still "oppressed" (in their mind) and think that everyone is trying to be racist against them or someone. I've ran into PLENTY of blacks that have this mentality. You seem to be one of those too.

Go right ahead change your hair color to whatever you want. I don't see 50% of blacks with red hair so it doesn't spark a "thought" like the 50% blonde characters on PSo2.

Seeing soo many blonde characters made me think "wow why are there so many blondes running around?"

But I guess i'm racist for thinking that way right? =/

Sp-24
Aug 14, 2012, 12:52 PM
If you're looking for it, it's easy to see what you want to see.

(Out of context, lol)

TaigaUC said it the best. People want to see racism on OP's part (for whatever reason), and they do. Use your brain before posting, honestly, it's not that hard.

NoiseHERO
Aug 14, 2012, 12:56 PM
it's only to promote that we truly live in a post-racial society

that reminds me i need circle lenses to complete this look

Not yet we don't... D:

It'll be at least another 200 years before everyone's race mixes enough and suddenly becomes "What... ARE YOU?!"

Till then the "N" word still scares non-black people. And people will say it every chance they get anyway the second they feel like they've been given permission. And it'll still be hilarious for all the wrong reasons, and when it happens in PSO2, Japan will have to deal with it so long as their characters have blue eyes and blonde hair and we're not IP-blocked! And what am I typing.

Kondibon
Aug 14, 2012, 12:56 PM
(Out of context, lol)

TaigaUC said it the best. People want to see racism on OP's part (for whatever reason), and they do. Use your brain before posting, honestly, it's not that hard.
Racist or not the OP is overgeneralizing. As someone else said, it's just not that simple.

Seeing soo many blonde characters made me think "wow why are there so many blondes running around?"
Do you really think any one person can speak for all of them? :/ I don't think you're being racist per-se but I do think you're oversimplifying it.

FlameOfYagami
Aug 14, 2012, 12:59 PM
(Out of context, lol)

Agreed his post was easily the best.

Lol, I was simply just asking why they love our western look so much, yet everyone here put me off as racist.

Kondibon
Aug 14, 2012, 01:03 PM
I was simply just asking why they love our western look so much, yet everyone here put me off as racist.This! This right here. Who's "They"? The japanese in general? The people who make blonde characters? No one can answer for all of them either way. I can tell you why I personally made my characters the way they look but if someone made a character who looks just like mine I have no idea why they did it unless they told me.

Oh and who's "Western Look" I don't have blonde hair.

Halcyote
I hold racist ideologies because i'm simply asking why JP players love the blonde look so much? Plus I already appologized for the miss used of the "obsessed" word.

HOWEVER, if you really are a black person then I can understand why you would think that of me. Unfortunately, most black people are still "oppressed" (in their mind) and think that everyone is trying to be racist against them or someone. I've ran into PLENTY of blacks that have this mentality. You seem to be one of those too. (http://www.derailingfordummies.com/retaliation.html#false)

Go right ahead change your hair color to whatever you want. I don't see 50% of blacks with red hair so it doesn't spark a "thought" like the 50% blonde characters on PSo2.

But I guess i'm racist for thinking that way right? =/
i'm going to say this politely:

bruh, you are racist as hell.

i'd explain why but you're way too privileged to take a discussion like this seriously. however i hope you find the clue i left for you enlightening.

NoiseHERO
Agreed his post was easily the best.

Lol, I was simply just asking why they love our western look so much, yet everyone here put me off as racist.

I don't think you're anymore racist than anyone else in this thread. But you probably should've asked an actual Japanese person over a bunch of self-righteous weaboos.

WHY AM I TYPING THESE THHINININNGNGS???

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 14, 2012, 01:05 PM
Problem here is that you are putting that on ME.

Just because you grew up with people like that doesn't mean that i'm doing that too =/

Problem there is, I wasn't. I said "some" Westerners feel that way. Whether you fell into that category or not, I don't know. However, creating a thread like this certainly didn't help your case.

Yes yes, we're aware of that. You don't have a problem with it, blah blah blah. We get it.

What you fail to realize though is how you come off when asking, "Why are the Japanese obsessed with "white" ?" It gives a racist vibe, honestly. You don't really seem like the kind of person that would act that way on purpose, so it was probably a harmless mistake, but still... asking something like this is quite offensive.

However, when you say things like "Oh I grew up with people that liked Japanese woman, but when something happened they got all racist and ****" and put that on me as if I was the one doing that.

My past was just an example. Racism can come in many forms. Like I said, you don't seem like the kind of guy that would do it deliberately (like the people who use the term "japs" to describe "Japanese" simply because they want to shorthand the word... a lot of them just do because it's easier, not because they're racist, but that doesn't make it any less wrong).

Don't let your everday life experinces cloud your judgement. This was just something i've noticed and decided to ask in the forum to get some opinions on the matter. However everyone seems to really dislike this and is already up in arms about it, by putting false words in my mouth and even trying to make me look racist.

It hasn't. I understand you noticed this and that's fine, but what you're wanting to discuss involves walking on a tightrope. How can you honestly expect to try and discuss something involving an entire race of people and not have the term "racist" thrown around? Whether you meant anything ill by it or not is irrelevant.

You might as well have named the thread, "Why are African-Americans so obsessed with chicken and watermelon?" Sure, it may be something you have observed, but you just don't bring that shit into light unless you're ready to deal with the backlash from your statements. So yeah, I'm not putting false words in your mouth, man. It's all about interpretation and this just reeks of inappropriate.

TenebriS
Aug 14, 2012, 01:05 PM
i'm going to say this politely:

bruh, you are racist as hell.

i'd explain why but you're way too privileged to take a discussion like this seriously.

"i'd explain why but you're way too privileged to take a discussion like this seriously." is easy to translate by "I can't tell you a reason why because I totally made that up"

please do everyone a favour and don't talk ;D

Kondibon
Aug 14, 2012, 01:07 PM
"Why are African-Americans so obsessed with chicken and watermelon?".I can answer this one!

Because they're

FUCKING!

DELICIOUS!

justsayin'

EDIT: On that note, I agree that it's simply the wording. A better way to word it is "Why is western culture so popular in japan?" and then what would make that even better would be to, as Rock said... ask a Japanese person.

NoiseHERO
Aug 14, 2012, 01:08 PM
I don't like watermelon though... D:

Everyone else likes fried chicken just as much!

It's just funnier when black people like it. D:

FlameOfYagami
I don't think you're anymore racist than anyone else in this thread. But you probably should've asked an actual Japanese person over a bunch of self-righteous weaboos.

WHY AM I TYPING THESE THHINININNGNGS???

haha, thanks ^^

But ya man I think you are correct. Funny enough I have two JP friends, however their english is as good as my japanese (bad). One of them has a blonde "white" girl.

However, I don't ask them these questions because I dont wanna mess up our friendship. I don't want them to have the same reaction everyone here has had. Especially when there's a language barrier and something simple can come off as rude.

But now that I think about it. Asking them (my jp friends) would have been a better idea since they would have probably had a much more mature answer for me rather than "oh you're racist for thinking that way!!"

Yea, asking a bunch of weaboo's wasn't the best idea. I ****ed up I know lol.

TetsuyaHikari
I can answer this one!

Because they're

FUCKING!

DELICIOUS!

justsayin'

Totally true.

P.S. [spoiler-box]I'm white[/spoiler-box]

EDIT:
But now that I think about it. Asking them (my jp friends) would have been a better idea since they would have probably had a much more mature answer for me rather than "oh you're racist for thinking that way!!"

Lol @ "much more mature"

Yes, walk up to one of your JP friends and say, "Why are you so obsessed with white people?" I'm sure that would go over a lot better than it did here. It's all about the way you worded it, man.

tl;dr: Your approach was tactless.

Sp-24
Aug 14, 2012, 01:12 PM
I ****ed up I know lol.

Protip (though you've probably gathered that much already): don't even as much as mention any minority here. For all purposes, they don't exist.

HOLY ****, those tranny and feminist wars...

Kondibon
Aug 14, 2012, 01:13 PM
I-I missed something like that? orz

FlameOfYagami
Aug 14, 2012, 01:15 PM
Totally true.

P.S. [spoiler-box]I'm white[/spoiler-box]

EDIT:

Lol @ "much more mature"

Yes, walk up to one of your JP friends and say, "Why are you so obsessed with white people?" I'm sure that would go over a lot better than it did here. It's all about the way you worded it, man.

tl;dr: Your approach was tactless.

Haha yes yes I understand now.

"You might as well have named the thread, "Why are African-Americans so obsessed with chicken and watermelon?" Sure, it may be something you have observed, but you just don't bring that shit into light unless you're ready to deal with the backlash from your statements."

That pretty much summed it up. Funny enough when I made the topic title I didn't think it sounded like that nor did I think it would come off that way.

I guess in the end it does come as simply asking "Why are blacks so obsessed with watermelon and chicken?" hahahaha! That sounds pretty racist xD

Gama
Aug 14, 2012, 01:16 PM
red hair is best.

gigawuts
Aug 14, 2012, 01:17 PM
red hair is best.

Red paint!

LIKE A BOT.

NoiseHERO
I-I missed something like that? orz

How is it even possible to miss them?

There's like at least 2 a month. D:

TetsuyaHikari

"You might as well have named the thread, "Why are African-Americans so obsessed with chicken and watermelon?" Sure, it may be something you have observed, but you just don't bring that shit into light unless you're ready to deal with the backlash from your statements."

That pretty much summed it up. Funny enough when I made the topic title I didn't think it sounded like that nor did I think it would come off that way.

I guess in the end it does come as simply asking "Why are blacks so obsessed with watermelon and chicken?" hahahaha! That sounds pretty racist xD

Exactly, lol. I used to do this a lot as a teenager. I'd simply blurt out stuff like this due to curiosity and didn't realize I was actually offending people because of the sensitivity of the matter.

Fedya
Aug 14, 2012, 01:18 PM
red hair is best.
I want to say having no hair is much more awesome but *sigh*

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 14, 2012, 01:19 PM
red hair is best.

I have red hair (Auburn, whatever, lol), so that makes me best!

Aww yea

Kondibon
Aug 14, 2012, 01:22 PM

Goddamn it now I have to apologize for being an ass. Sorry.

Honestly, It probably was better that you asked here first. Now you know what not to say if you ever actually want to ask one of your Japanese friends.

Auburnthatisthesexiesthaircolor

justsayin' *points at sig*

sugarFO
Aug 14, 2012, 01:27 PM
Protip (though you've probably gathered that much already): don't even as much as mention any minority here. For all purposes, they don't exist.

They do exist, but are reluctant to make themselves known very much given the dudebro circle jerk mentality on these forums. Any deviation from the norm deserves a war instead of an understanding, right?

moorebounce
Aug 14, 2012, 01:29 PM
I would bet a whole lot of money on this reason

Cyclon
Aug 14, 2012, 01:30 PM
red hair is best.
Obligatory comment: It totally is.

Wait, green hair is. Red is a close second though.

Anyway... what is there left to say here... I really don't see that many blondes to be honest. About white skin... I think what..."searches through the whole topic" ...Kondibon posted, I had already read several times, so there's a very slight chance it might be absolutely correct:3

No, really, the same question about lolis, I could totally relate, but blondes? Not so much.

Karen Erra
Aug 14, 2012, 01:33 PM
They do exist, but are reluctant to make themselves known very much given the dudebro circle jerk mentality on these forums. Any deviation from the norm deserves a war instead of an understanding, right?

There's a big missunderstanding here. He doesn't say that these deserve a war, it's more likely these people are starting a war by themselves. There's no problem with those people telling their opinion. But they could do it in a more neutral way. But they rather start wars because they think their opinion is good and the their opinion is the only right one...

Jakosifer
Aug 14, 2012, 01:35 PM
anyone else really aroused by everyone and everything in this thread?

sugarFO
Aug 14, 2012, 01:36 PM
There's a big missunderstanding here. He doesn't say that these deserve a war, it's more likely these people are starting a war by themselves. There's no problem with those people telling their opinion. But they could do it in a more neutral way. But they rather start wars because they think their opinion is good and the their opinion is the only right one...

Anytime a girl posts here she is treated negatively or responded with in a snarky way, even when delivering an opinion that is more "neutral". Or however you people would prefer minorities to speak. I suppose not at all given that first comment.

As for naming those who think their opinion is good and right, that's like the majority of people who post, who supposedly aren't minorities then? Interesting. Lol

Daiyousei
Aug 14, 2012, 01:37 PM
I want to say having no hair is much more awesome but *sigh*

I really would not want the "skinhead" hairstyle brought up in a thread like this.

Sp-24
Aug 14, 2012, 01:39 PM
I really would not want the "skinhead" hairstyle brought up in a thread like this.

I dig the name of that hairstyle, by the way.

Kondibon
Aug 14, 2012, 01:40 PM
anyone else really aroused by everyone and everything in this thread?Yes. It's the only reason I'm still posting

Anytime a girl posts here she is treated negatively or responded with in a snarky wayReally now?

HEY GUYS! GUYS I'M--

GUYS I'M

HEY

HEY GUYS

I'M A GIRL!

:I

redroses
Aug 14, 2012, 01:41 PM
Anytime a girl posts here she is treated negatively or responded with in a snarky way, even when delivering an opinion that is more "neutral". Or however you people would prefer minorities to speak. I suppose not at all given that first comment.

What?
If, then it is more like everytime SOMEBODY posts, be it a guy or a girl they are treated that way at the moment on pso-world. Of course, it's not all the time, but at the moment pso-wolrd feels more rough then usual.

I just think you are putting more thought into it because you are a girl and feel it is for that reason everybody acts that way to you.

Halcyote
Aug 14, 2012, 01:41 PM
"i'd explain why but you're way too privileged to take a discussion like this seriously." is easy to translate by "I can't tell you a reason why because I totally made that up"

please do everyone a favour and don't talk ;D
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m70nkkRev51rnl47e.png
i do have reasons:

1) this topic already shows that he doesn't know jack shit about how to discuss racism since he derails like a muhfuckka (http://www.derailingfordummies.com/retaliation.html#represent).
2) dismissing claims of oppression from marginalized folk as something "in our minds" is definitely racist/bigoted behavior. making a topic why japanese players have characters with blonde hair even though they have a tos clause saying "no foreigners" is also racist/bigoted behavior. (http://cassa.on.ca/racismfreeontario/resources/understanding-racism/different-forms-of-racism/) intent isn't something you can just ignore because one wills it to. the offense is there and the fact that he doesn't really understand what is wrong with this whole topic shows that it's not even worth taking it seriously to educate. if he cares enough he'll find some other person to educate him fully but i'm not obligated to do so. i've been "nice" and dropped hints anyway.

now that's overwith, do me a favor and kick rocks, suh.

Halcyote
Aug 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
anyone else really aroused by everyone and everything in this thread?
it couldn't be becuase you posted under karen erra is it?

you like girls on top?

TenebriS
Aug 14, 2012, 01:49 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m70nkkRev51rnl47e.png
i do have reasons:

1) this topic already shows that he doesn't know jack shit about how to discuss racism since he derails like a muhfuckka (http://www.derailingfordummies.com/retaliation.html#represent).
2) dismissing claims of oppression from marginalized folk as something "in our minds" is definitely racist/bigoted behavior. making a topic why japanese players have characters with blonde hair even though they have a tos clause saying "no foreigners" is also racist/bigoted behavior. (http://cassa.on.ca/racismfreeontario/resources/understanding-racism/different-forms-of-racism/) intent isn't something you can just ignore because one wills it to. the offense is there and the fact that he doesn't really understand what is wrong with this whole topic shows that it's not even worth taking it seriously to educate. if he cares enough he'll find some other person to educate him fully but i'm not obligated to do so. i've been "nice" and dropped hints anyway.

now that's overwith, do me a favor and kick rocks, suh.

oh my, gettign pissed so easily.

I will be honest, I didn'T care to read your post here for the reason of I don't like hate-speeches. Maybe someone wastes his time reading, but its not gonan be me.

I noticed you ehre around for one simple reason. You spread hate. Most of the time you try to pick a fight. and so much people fall for it. You name this your reasons, but they aren't. You really should stop acting butthurt about every shit you read.

You are a hatin hater, here to hate and you cant let go.

Now get out of my way, I do soemthing you jsut arent able to do..... I get over it ;P

Kondibon
Aug 14, 2012, 01:52 PM
You spread hate.You just summed up the whole board. Good job.

Jakosifer
Aug 14, 2012, 01:52 PM
it couldn't be becuase you posted under karen erra is it?

you like girls on top?

Probably why, Karen convinced me that Newearls were worth looking at huhuhuhuh.

Also yes. You understand me so well. :wacko:

I should really stop being off topic...but hey, PSOW should be more fun.

Hey now, the whole board doesn't spread hate. I try to spread nutin but love ya?

Kondibon
Aug 14, 2012, 01:54 PM
I try to spread nutin but love ya?

We should form a love club. And I should start being nicer.

lunarsoul
Aug 14, 2012, 01:56 PM
As for the Topic, I just think that if you live in a country that is made up people with the same haircolour (black) if its not dyed, you kind of grow tired of them and find other colours fascinating. If you live in multicultural societies like Canada or USA, you encounter different races all the time with different looks and haircolours. Its not even a big deal. BUt in Japan you just dont see blondes or red heads everyday unless a Japanese person dyed it, its just not the same. So I just think they made blonde hair characters cause they simply just want to be different.

sugarFO
Aug 14, 2012, 01:58 PM

I will be honest, I didn'T care to read your post here for the reason of I don't like hate-speeches. Maybe someone wastes his time reading, but its not gonan be me.

I noticed you ehre around for one simple reason. You spread hate. Most of the time you try to pick a fight. and so much people fall for it. You name this your reasons, but they aren't. You really should stop acting butthurt about every shit you read.

Now get out of my way, I do soemthing you jsut arent able to do..... I get over it ;P

This is the most ignorant reply to someone making relevant points I have ever read. Since when did scrutinizing someone's intent become "hating"? She laid out her thoughts on the matter, and what is the response she gets? You don't even read it, you jump to outrageous conclusions that she's just angry, emotional, whatever. You're only proving her point that racism cannot be discussed because of the maturity levels shown in this topic.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 14, 2012, 02:02 PM
red hair is best.

oh yeah, red heads get me flipping head over heals!! I've personally had enough blonde hair and blue eyes to last me, i grew up in rural Wisconsin and the population here is 90% German and Polish decent and, having more Irish in me then anything else, I'm like the only hazel eyed person i know here, my hair's still black though+^_^+

at everyone else in the thread that's flaming like crazy+^_^+
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w363/ChikTikka/fire_extinguisher.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Halcyote
Aug 14, 2012, 02:09 PM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwfjvlksy61ql5yr7o1_400.gif

sure thing champ. see you in the next post when you feel like calling me out.

Halcyote
Aug 14, 2012, 02:12 PM
Probably why, Karen convinced me that Newearls were worth looking at huhuhuhuh.

Also yes. You understand me so well. :wacko:

I should really stop being off topic...but hey, PSOW should be more fun.

Hey now, the whole board doesn't spread hate. I try to spread nutin but love ya?
this topic is lock-fodder anyway so keep spreading your ethan waber love, hun.

Pluupy
Aug 14, 2012, 02:12 PM
My guess is that JP guys really like our woman :)

http://i49.tinypic.com/55nhb5.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/20fop6d.jpg

Jakosifer
Aug 14, 2012, 02:17 PM
We should form a love club. And I should start being nicer.

We should. You should (nah, most posts I've seen from you aren't malicious at all). Though we would be the only members.

Tis a sad time on PSOW. WE ALL HAVE A COMMON ENEMY IN THIS WORLD OF LOLIS, LOLIELVES AND LOLIBOTS.

Xaeris
Aug 14, 2012, 02:17 PM
Oh, I had no idea you were black, Halcyote. I wonder what the OP thinks of us both using white people avatars on PSOW.

Kondibon
Aug 14, 2012, 02:24 PM
We should. You should (nah, most posts I've seen from you aren't malicious at all). Though we would be the only members.

Tis a sad time on PSOW. WE ALL HAVE A COMMON ENEMY IN THIS WORLD OF LOLIS, LOLIELVES AND LOLIBOTS.
It's subtle but there. I am a secret bitch.

Honestly I still think the OP came out of this learning something. Ever notice how after acknowledging that the wording sounds racist they basically stopped posting. Most of the "arguing" going on now is between everyone else.

FlameOfYagami
Aug 14, 2012, 02:30 PM
This is the most ignorant reply to someone making relevant points I have ever read. Since when did scrutinizing someone's intent become "hating"? She laid out her thoughts on the matter, and what is the response she gets? You don't even read it, you jump to outrageous conclusions that she's just angry, emotional, whatever. You're only proving her point that racism cannot be discussed because of the maturity levels shown in this topic.

Relevant points? The reason why I have stop posting is because in the end of the day I didn't really get an answer to my question, but I don't need one anymore. I also made it very clear that most of you had the wrong idea of my thread and myself (Me being racist, how silly) hell I even appologized for the way I worded my topic. The more people post here and the more I read i've noticed that it didn't sound right.

In the end of the day I was simply just asking why JP players love blonde so much, not that they want to be white or any of those things. Everyone here seems to understand that now, and I understand why the race card was pulled on me.

However, it seems like "Halcyote" is the only one that still thinks that i'm a racist bigot, hey that's fine, at this point I can already see that nothing i say or do will change her mind so I don't really care. I called her out on the whole "blacks have a "suppressed mentality so that's why she acts the way she does"

That doesn't make me a racist in anyway shape or form. It's already been proven that the African-American community is the one that by far cries the most about racism in America.

If they didn't have this "Oh i'm still a slave!! and white people should all be punished for what they did to us" mentality they wouldn't be throwing out the race card EVERYTIME something doesn't go THEIR WAY.

So how does this apply to my topic? That's easy to explain. Her "suppressed" mentality makes ANYTHING about RACE seem negative or "racist". Since she has that "oh everyone is racist towards me" mentality she quickly pulled the race card on me and called me out and labeled me as a racist bigot.

If you look at it that's pretty ****ed up =/

Pluupy
Aug 14, 2012, 02:30 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/20to751.jpg

Guys guys it's ok for Americans to like Japanese. It's ok for Japanese to like Americans. Everyone has their own culture, their own way of life, and it's interesting to see other cultures in the world. It's completely natural. It's not just Japan, many countries take interest in American ways as well as vice versa.

If you're interested in a good read upon the Japanese and American relationship, take a look at "Breaking Open Japan" by George Feifer. This book goes into great detail upon the first Japanese encounter by Americans which first began the love-hate relationship.

That aside, Americans are so interested in Japanese because the culture is so different and yet so similar. A culture shock but with natural surroundings we're familiar with.

Kondibon
Aug 14, 2012, 02:32 PM
I retract my statement.

Xaeris
Aug 14, 2012, 02:36 PM
That doesn't make me a racist in anyway shape or form. It's already been proven that the African-American community is the one that by far cries the most about racism in America.

If they didn't have this "Oh i'm still a slave!! and white people should all be punished for what they did to us" mentality they wouldn't be throwing out the race card EVERYTIME something doesn't go THEIR WAY.

I'm impressed at how concise a writer you are. I'd be hard pressed to fit this much wrong into so few sentences.

btw, I think the word you want is "oppressed."

FlameOfYagami
Aug 14, 2012, 02:36 PM
It's subtle but there. I am a secret bitch.

Honestly I still think the OP came out of this learning something. Ever notice how after acknowledging that the wording sounds racist they basically stopped posting. Most of the "arguing" going on now is between everyone else.

Oh for sure man ^^

My topic title doesn't really help my "case" but i'm glad most of you understand now. Also, I accept your appology.

I know it came out wrong that has been discussed and acknowledge. That's why I left because everything was cleared and everything was back to normal.

However it's obvious that there are still people here trying to stir **** up like this guy here.

"Oh, I had no idea you were black, Halcyote. I wonder what the OP thinks of us both using white people avatars on PSOW."

Lmao, seriously that right there just makes me laugh, because 1, it's obvious he's trying to start some ****. 2, he's trying to sound like a victim.

"Ohh poor me!! What will the racist OP think of me when he see's my WHITE avatar!!! Oh noes!! *sniff*."

That reeks of that "suppressed" mentality African-American's have.

Xaeris
Aug 14, 2012, 02:41 PM
Start something? Please, perish the thought. Maybe five or six years ago, I would have gone all angry black man on you, but these days, I am too tired.

Halcyote
Aug 14, 2012, 02:46 PM
ikr op (http://racismschool.tumblr.com/post/16769116979/imaginary-aggression-brings-real-aggression)

u so rite (http://racismschool.tumblr.com/post/17513239124/slavery-some-guys-have-all-the-luck)

Cyclon
Aug 14, 2012, 02:47 PM
:I
More people should have reacted to that.

I will react to that. Pointlessly, since it took me so much time to find that one. BUT STILL.
http://i.imgur.com/3pOOY.png

By the way, not ditching the topic or anything. You guys settle this, not interfering. That being said, please love each other more.

Jakosifer
Aug 14, 2012, 02:47 PM
As a black man, I love suburban youths. Got it all figured out ya?

Just kidding hehe

@Kondi: Don't even hold it against you, especially here. :>

Fuck yeah Cyclon.

NoiseHERO
Aug 14, 2012, 03:05 PM
What the hell!

I was trolling this thread first! D<