PDA

View Full Version : Was SEGA hacked?

njdss4
Aug 15, 2012, 05:28 PM
I just got an email that translated to this:

Request for re-setting passwords important

SEGA ID INFO 2012/8/15

■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □
This e-mail, contact us and to become important to protect your precious information,
We send to everyone that is registered with the SEGA ID.

Confirm current evidence, who is attempting to unauthorized login to SEGA ID of others
Are, the "account type list hacking" by a malicious third party
There is a possibility has been attempted.

If you use multiple services in the same password for ID ·,
Risk of becoming a victim of "hacking account type list" will be very high.

Hacking in order to prevent damage, the password for the SEGA ID is a service of the other
And periodic password changes, set a unique password do not use
Strongly recommended.

Have not changed or extended period of time, that in common with other services password
Customers, please reset the password from "password reset page" as soon as possible.

Resetting the password page ▼
https://cha.isao.net/profile_oem/OEMPassResetStart.php?product_name=sega

In addition, The company is also currently a study on this unauthorized access, so far
Outflow, such as registration information has not been confirmed.

※ "hacking account type List"
A list of ID · password was obtained illegally from unspecified companies and services
Refers to the act to login to exploit. Been done and put away the bad login,
In service in that our, in-game items, such as theft,
There could be exploited important data.

For information on how to administer the concrete SEGA ID / password, you will be following guide
I will, thank you to confirm fit.

○ As for password management
Password for safety, please change to something difficult to guess on a regular basis.

○ To set a password difficult to guess
-Such as a combination of alphanumeric characters, as long as possible, please set the complex.
And character-name SEGA ID, date of birth and telephone number, etc., could be guessed that the other
Please do not use those.
· Please do not set a password that you've previously set.

○ to set things differently from other services and
Ya ID you are using a service other than SEGA ID, such as e-mail address
Do not use the same password.

○ Do not give to a third party SEGA ID, the password
• Even if it was a close one, never SEGA ID and password also, third party
Please do not tell.
-To borrow the SEGA ID and third parties, including those close friends, and family,
Please do not "share account" so-called.
• In the corresponding support, for your SEGA ID of our stakeholders
To ask you about the password is not at all.

○ When using the SEGA ID in public places
• The third party SEGA ID, to enter the password when you log in to the game
Please be careful not to be seen.
• After the use of the Service is recommended that you make a password change.

○ PC to enforce security measures
• On the state was kept always up-to-date anti-virus software on your PC,
Please carry out sufficient checks from daily life.
Will update the software, and various OS, the latest security measures
Please apply.

○ Do not click Do not browse suspicious sites, the suspicious links
• From the site e-mail or who dressed the relationship, and password ID, credit card numbers
Please note that "phishing" to defraud, etc.. The "outside" our stakeholders
Directed to the site asking, SEGA ID and password, are not needed.
· Modus operandi to be induced to enter the site ID and password have been known to fake.
Please check these not to enter lightly.
Rogue program is installed from the page by using tools such as ActiveX,
ID and password may be stolen.

○ do not install unauthorized programs, do not run
• Some malicious programs contain a virus, a password and ID of the person who has used
Some steal it, run, of course, that you do not even install
Please thoroughly.

I will continue to strive to enjoy the service with peace of mind to everyone,
We apologize for any sorry to trouble you, thank you much for your cooperation.

Sounds pretty bad, imo. Has anyone had their account stolen?

Mystil
Aug 15, 2012, 05:28 PM
No. Just a precaution.

jooozek
Aug 15, 2012, 05:29 PM
No, they weren't hacked. What they are mentioning is that some kids tried to use some other site's leaked passwords and that's a warning to change your password in case you have it here the same as on one of the compromised sites.

njdss4
Aug 15, 2012, 05:31 PM
No, they weren't hacked. What they are mentioning is that some kids tried to use some other site's leaked passwords and that's a warning to change your password in case you have it here the same as on one of the compromised sites.

Ah, ok then. My passwords for forums and email are different from my SEGA account, so I guess I'm fine. Thanks.

Aeris
Aug 15, 2012, 05:31 PM
Nope nobody got hacked, it means some people had a list of passwords and is using them to gain access to accounts on multiple things.

BahnKnakyu
Aug 15, 2012, 07:50 PM
In other words, if you're practicing proper account discipline (different passwords for different places, and to make sure your e-mail password is different from all your other passwords, etc) there's no need for concern. However, as a precautionary measure, it wouldn't hurt to change your password.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 15, 2012, 07:53 PM
i reset my password already+^_^+ i feel even more secure now+^_^+

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 15, 2012, 08:23 PM
Weird... I didn't get any sort of e-mail like this =3=

KitsyLove
Aug 16, 2012, 07:30 AM
Yeah, I too, got this mail. Sounds all serious and all, but it's a precaution to keep yourself save. I was a bit scared too when I read the mail, though. x'D

Ce'Nedra
Aug 16, 2012, 07:32 AM
Guess I should switch my password then...I use the same one for litterly everything

Darkmgl
Aug 16, 2012, 08:08 AM
Just got the same email late last night. Seems like all those hackers stealing lists from Sony, Blizzard, etc. are finally trying to put them to use hahaha.

Mr Fwibbles
Aug 17, 2012, 10:56 AM
Somebody got into my Amazon account and started spending money not too long ago. PSN and Steam are two services that I used where information was stolen. Someone also tried to access my MSN and gmail accounts, but didn't succeed because I used different passwords for those. At least Microsoft and Google had the decency to e-mail me about it! Amazon shouldn't have allowed a foreign IP to access my account without an additional security check, but they did. I wasn't even aware that they'd kept my card info on file, and they will no longer be getting any business from me.

Realistically, it's not possible to use a different password for every single service that you use online. It's just too much to remember. You'll end up forgetting them or having to keep them written down somewhere, which is another security flaw (as a family member or friend could find them). You could re-use the same password and add a number to the end for different websites, or have a theme going with your passwords, but all that's going to do is make them easy to guess. Are you going to argue with Stephen Fry on that matter? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrnHgOCZdb8#t=3m14

Security questions are a joke too, since your mother's maiden name is easy to track down and most people have a Facebook account with the school they went to, etc. That info is simple for anyone with the savvy to actually find the password lists to get hold of.

Whoever is doing this are criminal scum, pure and simple. They're not "proving a point" like some romanticists would like to have you believe, they just want to find people's bank details and commit fraud. It has become a massive problem with modern Internet usage.

Arika
Aug 17, 2012, 11:21 AM

I wonder what "other site" is this. Is it Amazon? because the guy in post above said his Amazon info got stolen.

IF I know the problem site then I could know which password I need to change. but my SEGA/Email password is safe for sure, because it is original and only one.

jooozek
Aug 17, 2012, 11:38 AM
Doesn't matter what site, they are just showing the principle, to have a different password for every site. Can't really complain about getting "hacked" if you had the same password for everything sadly.

Mr Fwibbles
Aug 17, 2012, 11:54 AM
No, Amazon hasn't been compromised (or if it has, they won't admit it). People are getting password lists from elsewhere and using them to log in to sites where money is exchanged.

Compromised services:

Battle.net (Blizzard)
Billabong
Comcast
Dropbox
efinancialcareers.com
eHarmony
Formspring
Gamigo
Gawker Media (Lifehacker)
Gmail
Facebook (Jan 2012)
HBGary
Hotmail
LastFM
LastPass
LinkedIn
Minecraft
MSN
Nvidia forums
Phandroid (androidforums.com)
PSN
RockYou.com
Steam
Twitter (May 2012)
Yahoo! Voices

There's probably some more that I'm missing...

Can't really complain about getting "hacked" if you had the same password for everything sadly.
Do you ever re-use the same password on any website or service where you have an account? If not, do you have them stored on your computer, or written down somewhere where anybody that is ever in your house could see them?

Takatsuki
Aug 17, 2012, 11:59 AM
Good thing I use different passwords for everything.

jooozek
Aug 17, 2012, 12:21 PM
Do you ever re-use the same password on any website or service where you have an account? If not, do you have them stored on your computer, or written down somewhere where anybody that is ever in your house could see them?

I'm in a big LAN and this site doesn't use SSL, so I can't really tell you the specifics (never know where the spies are ;)) but my general advice is to use at least different passwords for everything that relates to your private information/money/owned digital content.