PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing AC?

WorldlyCosmonaut
Aug 16, 2012, 12:09 PM
So must I be a japanese resident of some sort to actually purchase AC with a credit card that's outside of Japan? :\

Renzer
Aug 16, 2012, 12:12 PM
Look up a Japanese address. I use a Japanese hotel address. Also make sure you use a credit card, because they aren't tied to your billing address. Debt doesn't work because of that.

Lastly if try buying 500AC if you can't buy large amounts of AC because SEGA has limited AC buying amounts to people outside of Japan.

If it's not against the rules I can PM the address I use after I get off of work (which I hate to say it's going to be like 7 hours from now lol).

Sizustar
Aug 16, 2012, 12:18 PM
Currently most people use Webmoney to purchase AC
Generally purchasing webmoney from third parth.

Normal credit card method
http://bumped.org/psublog/purchasing-arks-cash-in-phantasy-star-online-2-japan/

Feggge
Aug 16, 2012, 12:19 PM
It seems American debt. cards works differently from Swedish ones. I use a debt. card with no trouble whatsoever. But I do know that when I make transactions from out of the country. It kinda translates it to a credit purchase. Very strange!

I also tried making a debt. purchase when I was in the US with no success. Gotta go as credit.

WorldlyCosmonaut
Aug 16, 2012, 12:32 PM
Currently most people use Webmoney to purchase AC
Generally purchasing webmoney from third parth.

Normal credit card method
http://bumped.org/psublog/purchasing-arks-cash-in-phantasy-star-online-2-japan/

Thank you so much! That normal method worked. :D

Aegea
Aug 16, 2012, 12:34 PM
Just remember it can take up to several weeks for it to show up in your statement.

Arika
Aug 16, 2012, 12:41 PM
A few friends of me can still buy AC with Amex (American Express)
So use that card if you have.

sugarFO
Aug 16, 2012, 01:05 PM
I bought 500 AC with Mastercard Debit. Didn't try to buy any higher cuz I don't want it hahaha

WorldlyCosmonaut
Aug 16, 2012, 01:10 PM
Well, I the registration worked but does VISA cards work? It keeps telling me there's an error and that I should contact my credit card company. o_O

Valymer
Aug 16, 2012, 03:41 PM
Well, I the registration worked but does VISA cards work? It keeps telling me there's an error and that I should contact my credit card company. o_O

How much are you trying to buy?

WorldlyCosmonaut
Aug 16, 2012, 06:36 PM
How much are you trying to buy?

Well, i'm trying to buy the normal 500 AC because from other posts that I read, they said it doesn't allow non-japanese people to spend more than 500 yen?

VenomFaiz03
Aug 17, 2012, 06:31 AM
Well, i'm trying to buy the normal 500 AC

Seems we're suffering the same issue. My bank-issued Visa credit/debit card bought me 5000 a few weeks ago, then 500 a few days ago; but today, nothing. I wonder if they changed it again. I'll admit I'm really unwilling to do the Webmoney path, but it seems I've nigh on completely run out of options. I mean... correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you lose money in the transfer from $->Paypal and from Paypal->Webmoney? I'd like to keep my Premium Account up, but not at some exorbitant add-on fee from a 3rd party!

Arika
Aug 17, 2012, 06:40 AM
I tried by myself today. I bought 5000 AC.

AMEX card always work it seem.

Sephirah
Aug 17, 2012, 07:23 AM
I wanted to buy points the other day but when it came time to enter the address, I had second thoughts. Because you have to enter a japanese address, I'm wondering if a charge like this will set off any red flags with the bank. As much as I'd like premium, I don't feel like having my card cancelled and having to wait 2 weeks for a new one to be mailed to me.

Husq
Aug 17, 2012, 07:23 AM
I mean... correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you lose money in the transfer from $->Paypal and from Paypal->Webmoney? I'd like to keep my Premium Account up, but not at some exorbitant add-on fee from a 3rd party!
You "loose" money going from USD to JPY, because paypal and credit card companies charges you exchange rate fees. The fees are some how the same, paypal is 2.5%, i think, and most credit card companies charges you 2.75%+. But there are some credit card companies out there that don't charge any fees at all, you just need to find them.
But paypal uses a horrible currency exchange rate. I bought webmoney from sutocorp, that uses paypal, and from cn-usa, where you can choose to use google pay, a couple of weeks back, and the exchange rate numbers between them had a big gap, making the mark up difference between sutocorp and cn-usa non existent.

I tried by myself today. I bought 5000 AC.

AMEX card always work it seem.

But where can you get an prepaid amex card these days, except in the states?

Ayrinne
Aug 17, 2012, 07:28 AM
It seems they've also blocked 500 ac purchases now :( I wanted to get a few things without having to pay marked up prices compared to suto/ebay

Arika
Aug 17, 2012, 07:31 AM

Did not mean prepaid at all. I mean a real credit card Amex. everybody who has it confirm that it is usable, so of course would be better choice than WM.

But obviously if you can't get Amex, then the only remain choice is WM.

VenomFaiz03
Aug 18, 2012, 06:46 AM
I mean a real credit card Amex. everybody who has it confirm that it is usable

Aw dang. So that's that, then? Guess I gotta get myself an AmEx card. Shouldn't be hard, but... bleh...

LionHeart-
Aug 18, 2012, 07:28 AM
My credit card doesn't work anymore so I need a alternative in buying AC.

Would this site work: https://buywmz.com/

I've registered to Webmoney.jp, but it was asking to register a mobile email. I did create one with Orange, but it wanted a .jp base lol. The site was pretty confusing anyhow, so I just de-activated my account instead. Any other sites, english I hope, but not confusing, easy registering jp site that Sega takes webcash from?

Thanks!

Sephirah
Aug 18, 2012, 07:48 AM
My credit card doesn't work anymore so I need a alternative in buying AC.

Would this site work: https://buywmz.com/

I've registered to Webmoney.jp, but it was asking to register a mobile email. I did create one with Orange, but it wanted a .jp base lol. The site was pretty confusing anyhow, so I just de-activated my account instead. Any other sites, english I hope, but not confusing, easy registering jp site that Sega takes webcash from?

Thanks!

As someone explained the other day, WMZ is not the same as webmoney, you'll need to visit a site like http://www.sutocorp.com/japanwebmoney/

The prices are insane though, going the webmoney route almost makes it twice as expensive. (keeping premium up through webmoney costs about $25 a month)

serenade
Aug 18, 2012, 02:47 PM
has anyone recently purchased with an Amex card?

wondering if they still work.... my visa debit no longer works with 500ac purchases, but if amex works, i may sign up for a basic card to use for AC purchases (and an extra credit building tool)

Husq
Aug 18, 2012, 03:30 PM
Funnily enough amex is the only foreign issued card that is accepted not only at sega, but also in other japanese (online) shops, unlike others. It must be something to do with how they process the payment, which ignores where it is/was issued. Definitely worth getting if you like to import things from japan or plan to visit japan. I am still hoping that they start selling their gift cards (prepaid card) in europe, especially in the UK, although nobody like to accept amex here, since they put a higher charge on the retailers, compared to visa and mastercard.

serenade
Aug 18, 2012, 04:10 PM
thank you for the reply.

guess i will get a basic Amex card just for online purchases.

Ekoi
Aug 19, 2012, 01:37 AM
Is there a guide for using WebMoney to buy AC somewhere?

Demon-
Aug 19, 2012, 01:44 AM
Is there a guide for using WebMoney to buy AC somewhere?

http://pewpewplusplus.blogspot.nl/2012/07/guide-to-purchasing-ac-in-pso2-from.html

.Jack
Aug 19, 2012, 02:35 AM

Just Google "AMEX Prepaid" and it should take you to the right place. Why this is the only card that accepts every amount right now I have no clue.

Ayrinne
Aug 19, 2012, 06:32 AM
Has anyone tried using the AMEX gift cards? (not the prepaid/re-loadable ones) The prepaid card's only available in the U.S. :( I wasn't sure on spending $25 to get the card only to find out that it isn't accepted.

Neirene
Aug 19, 2012, 07:24 AM
An AMEX gift card is a prepaid card itself so it should work without problems

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/prepaid/gift-cards/terms-and-conditions.html?vgnextchannel=95ddb81e8482a110VgnV CM100000defaad94RCRD

BobBarta
Aug 19, 2012, 07:30 PM
Do all AMEX cards work or is just a select few? I was thinking about signing up for one but would rather not get one that has an annual fee attached. Pre-paid is also out of the question. Not going to pay a reloading fee everytime I want to add money.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 20, 2012, 12:56 AM
hmm, just because i haven't seen anyone mention it, has anyone tried a Master card at all?? what are the results?? just asking because i found out i can use my bank card as a credit card for retailers that take MC+^_^+

also, as to why Amex works, is because Amex's origins started as a way to use American money anywhere'

In 1882, American Express started its expansion in the area of financial services by launching a money order business[11] to compete with the United States Post Office's money orders.

Sometime between 1888 and 1890, J. C. Fargo took a trip to Europe and returned frustrated and infuriated. Despite the fact that he was president of American Express and that he carried with him traditional letters of credit, he found it difficult to obtain cash anywhere except in major cities. Fargo went to Marcellus Flemming Berry and asked him to create a better solution than the traditional letter of credit. Berry introduced the American Express Traveler's Cheque which was launched in 1891 in denominations of $10, $20, $50, and $100.[15]

Traveler's cheques established American Express as a truly international company. In 1914, at the outbreak of World War I, American Express offices in Europe were among the few companies to honor the letters of credit (issued by various banks) held by Americans in Europe, despite other financial institutions having refused to assist these stranded travelers.

Network: the link between acquiring banks and issuing banks. These banks have relationships with a network, rather than with each other, for fulfilling card purchases. This allows a card issued by a community bank in Peru to be used at a shop in South Africa, for instance, without requiring the banks to have a direct relationship with each other. The two largest networks in the world are Visa and MasterCard.

Ayrinne
Aug 20, 2012, 02:12 AM
An AMEX gift card is a prepaid card itself so it should work without problems

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/prepaid/gift-cards/terms-and-conditions.html?vgnextchannel=95ddb81e8482a110VgnV CM100000defaad94RCRD

Mmm I'll try it next month I suppose!

hmm, just because i haven't seen anyone mention it, has anyone tried a Master card at all?? what are the results?? just asking because i found out i can use my bank card as a credit card for retailers that take MC+^_^+

No ;x Master Card has been blocked, even the 500 AC purchase that used to work. Tried it with mine

Husq
Aug 20, 2012, 03:37 AM

MC doesn't work, I tried it. well actually it probably does still work, if you do the 500AC purchases thing. But be careful, if you do too many 500AC at a go, the bank might give you some hassle, as it might be detected by their system as fraud.

also, as to why Amex works, is because Amex's origins started as a way to use American money anywhere'
Well, that solves the Amex mystery ^_^
Just check and they haven't launched their prepaid card lined in europe, and unfortunate you cannot order it from the US directly, shame really, as prepaid cards are much more handier than travelers cheque or hard cash for going abroad.

Jim
Aug 20, 2012, 04:42 AM
So must I be a japanese resident of some sort to actually purchase AC with a credit card that's outside of Japan? :\

I wrote a guide on how to purchase AC. Might not be the simplest, but it is very reliable and all you need is a Paypal account.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199490

Feggge
Aug 27, 2012, 04:07 AM
A strange thing just occured. Checked my bank statement today and there was a transaction from E-service (which is what it says when buying AC). Only thing is i have only bought AC once and that money had already been charged.

I was just about to get on the phone with my bank when I noticed that it wasn't a charge. It was a refund...

Anyone else got their money back?

And I am not talking as in the "reservation" was withdrawn. I meant money was taken, and money was put back.

redroses
Aug 27, 2012, 05:16 AM
Hm, same here. I just checked and got all my AC refunded.
That somehow makes me a little worried?

Mike
Aug 27, 2012, 05:26 AM
Has your in-game AC balance been changed?

serenade
Aug 27, 2012, 05:40 AM
A strange thing just occured. Checked my bank statement today and there was a transaction from E-service (which is what it says when buying AC). Only thing is i have only bought AC once and that money had already been charged.

I was just about to get on the phone with my bank when I noticed that it wasn't a charge. It was a refund...

Anyone else got their money back?

And I am not talking as in the "reservation" was withdrawn. I meant money was taken, and money was put back.

a friend said the same thing happened to her.... guess i need to check my bank statement as well.

Husq
Aug 27, 2012, 06:00 AM
You probably want to check with your bank if it was a refund from the company/sega or if it was a forced charge-back issued by your bank/creditcard company, to be on the safe side.

KEV1N
Aug 27, 2012, 06:16 AM
Also got a full refund.

Titan200
Aug 27, 2012, 06:19 AM
Same with me aswell. Sirius also had it happen to him but his money got taken back after 30 minutes. but mine has been refunded since the 24. He told me to wait till the end of the month to see if they will take it back.

chihiro
Aug 27, 2012, 07:10 AM
Of those of you who got a refund, did any of you use an American Express card to make your purchase?

Titan200
Aug 27, 2012, 07:16 AM
I used a Bank of America Visa debit card.

Feggge
Aug 27, 2012, 07:57 AM
Has your in-game AC balance been changed?

in-game balance is unchanged

Feggge
Aug 27, 2012, 07:58 AM
Of those of you who got a refund, did any of you use an American Express card to make your purchase?

Used a Swedish VISA-card.

redroses
Aug 27, 2012, 08:15 AM
I used a Visa, and AC in-game balance is unchanged.

Edit: And like with Crysteon, the money I got refunded was from the purchases I made in july when our credit cards were still accepted.

Crysteon
Aug 27, 2012, 09:16 AM
I also got a refund of around 7k AC from last two month spendings, and my AC in-game wasn't changed at all (considering I had 150 left, lol). The credit card I was using is linked with Visa...and now I have to use Webmoney to do AC purchases :fffuuu:

serenade
Aug 27, 2012, 09:43 AM
i've been refunded $115 from my ac purchases with my visa debit card.... either way. that's money i will most likely put right back into the game lol...

Arika
Aug 27, 2012, 10:44 AM
Just consider it free AC for all VIA users for now. But further payment will need to be WM or Amex.

gigawuts
Aug 27, 2012, 10:55 AM
Oh good, so other people got refunded too. Yeah, I have no idea what happened here. I'm expecting imminent bans and foreign CC/DC being unusable, but maybe with so many players being affected there won't be bans after all.

Maybe.

I hope.

FOnewearl-Lina
Aug 27, 2012, 05:26 PM
Just consider it free AC for all VIA users for now. But further payment will need to be WM or Amex.

Just consider it credit card fraud and theft, which is what it is :p

Xaeris
Aug 27, 2012, 05:28 PM
Oo, I also got a refund. 70 bucks back in my pocket, just like that. Good day is good.

gigawuts
Aug 27, 2012, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't go spending that cash just in case some bank shenanigans are going on. They may withdraw it again and leave you with overdraft fees.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 27, 2012, 05:32 PM
Just consider it credit card fraud and theft, which is what it is :p

That depends on whether or not SoJ decides to pursue international legal action, which i hear, isn't easy, more likely, they just gonna take a loss on this and no law suits will happen, i am glad however that i didn't use my MasterCard now+^_^+ and when the next survey thing SoJ sends out, ima just post PayPal's homepage link on there and hope they support it+^_^+

Xaeris
Aug 27, 2012, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't go spending that cash just in case some bank shenanigans are going on. They may withdraw it again and leave you with overdraft fees.

That's true. Blah. I hate having Damocles hanging over my head like this.

Inazuma
Aug 27, 2012, 05:37 PM
If you got a refund, you should be worried, not happy. There is a very good chance you will be banned over it.

FOnewearl-Lina
Aug 27, 2012, 05:40 PM
That depends on whether or not SoJ decides to pursue international legal action

A crime is still a crime regardless of whether or not the other party presses charges, people got AC (in-game currency) for free, this is theft.

+^_^+ Unless of course you live in lala land where money grows on trees +^_^+

If you got a refund, you should be worried, not happy. There is a very good chance you will be banned over it.

I don't think they'll ban, it wasn't intentional theft, just their credit cards weren't accepted by the Japanese billing system.

gigawuts
Aug 27, 2012, 05:53 PM
A crime is still a crime regardless of whether or not the other party presses charges, people got AC (in-game currency) for free, this is theft.

I don't think they'll ban, it wasn't intentional theft, just their credit cards weren't accepted by the Japanese billing system.

This isn't how theft works and you know it :P

It'd be like walking into a store, buying something, getting it, giving the money, then 3 weeks later getting the cash back in the mail. That's what has happened.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 27, 2012, 06:01 PM

lolz, i know it's a crime and i never claimed otherwise, i was just stating that in this case, it was SoJ's fault and that it was unintentional, SoJ may let it go, banning on the other hand, well, i doubt that will happen, my guess is they do what they did to me when i got 2 free months PSU, when i joined back up, not only did i have to pay for the membership, i had to pay back pay for that 2 free months, so if you people that got a refund run outa AC and go the web money route and notice your web money disappeared and you get no AC, then it's likely they just got a negative balance on you that you gotta pay up before getting new AC+^_^+ of course my PSU instance was SoA, not SoJ so i don't know what will happen+^_^+
also, as a poor college student eating less then savory food most days, i wish lala land existed.... (I'd even take an orange tree or something)

FOnewearl-Lina
Aug 27, 2012, 06:08 PM
This isn't how theft works and you know it :P

It'd be like walking into a store, buying something, getting it, giving the money, then 3 weeks later getting the cash back in the mail. That's what has happened.

Yeah cause you tried to pay with Monopoly money and when they found out their bank wouldn't accept Monopoly money they sent it back to you and stuck a huge sign on their front window saying "Sorry no more Monopoly monies!", and you also gave them a fake name and address before you made your purchase because they wouldn't accept your transaction if you didn't. That's fraud, which would have been fine except they had to refund your money which then becomes theft.

lolz, i know it's a crime and i never claimed otherwise,
Oh I thought you meant "it's only a crime if SoJ pursues legal action". My bad.

it was SoJ's fault
SoJ's fault for being the victim of credit card fraud? +^_^+

Coatl
Aug 27, 2012, 06:13 PM
Lina's right. One way or another, if we are not a JP resident and buying AC, we are stealing.
This is grounds for an IP ban alone. And I don't see the JP just tolerating a bunch of foreigners hacking and getting free AC from them.

I just wish they'd take my money and let me play without this on my head.

Xaeris
Aug 27, 2012, 06:24 PM
I think we need some clarification of terms here. A crime requires two things: an guilty act, and guilty mind, i.e, intent. It's debatable if the acquisition of AC constitutes a guilty act here, but there's absolutely no intent here. Everyone made a reasonable attempt to provide Sega with their requested consideration for however much AC they received. You could perhaps argue a breach of contract, or some other civil matter, but there's no theft happening here, even if we admit AC as property in the legal sense. Please stop using that word.

As for credit card fraud, quite a lot of us used Tenso, which provides a perfectly legit mailing address. That aside, everyone provided accurate info as relevant to billing (card number, security code, etc). There's no fraud here.

As for "hacking," just lolz.

FOnewearl-Lina
Aug 27, 2012, 07:16 PM
I think we need some clarification of terms here. A crime requires two things: an guilty act, and guilty mind, i.e, intent.

Manslaughter, killing without intent is still considered a crime...
Drink driving isn't a crime either cause there's no intent to plough into someone's house or mow over a bunch of school kids. Nope, not a crime.

As for credit card fraud, quite a lot of us used Tenso, which provides a perfectly legit mailing address

So, I just tried to purchase a Nexus 7 using Tenso for my billing address, true story. But the transaction was declined, WHY!? Omg it was a perfectly legit mailing address wtf!? :(

Chik'Tikka
Aug 27, 2012, 07:18 PM

a whole different beast.....
+^_^+

Xaeris
Aug 27, 2012, 08:39 PM
Drink driving isn't a crime either cause there's no intent to plough into someone's house or mow over a bunch of school kids. Nope, not a crime.

So, I just tried to purchase a Nexus 7 using Tenso for my billing address, true story. But the transaction was declined, WHY!? Omg it was a perfectly legit mailing address wtf!? :(

1. See, this is what I'm talking about. Your understanding of the law is too lacking to be telling anyone that they're guilty of crimes. In manslaughter, there is an intent. The distinction between murder and manslaughter is not intent and lack of it, but the type of intent itself. Someone convicted of manslaughter is convicted as such because they had the intent to do whatever reckless action it was that caused a death, despite knowing that there was a potential risk, e.g, drunk driving. The intent in murder is a specific intent to deprive someone of life.

Do you understand the difference? I can clarify further if need be.

2. We never supplied billing addresses. Billing addresses are the ones attached to cards and generally run through for confirmation. We never would have made any successful purchases of AC if we required JP billing addresses.

Ryna
Aug 27, 2012, 09:07 PM
I'm going to close this thread since it has gone off-topic.