PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else feel that there's not enough common weapons?

Takatsuki
Aug 16, 2012, 07:34 PM
At this point, the only way to reach any sort of respectable level of strength is to find or buy a rare weapon. The problem is, using a rare weapon binds it to your character, and thus once it has expended it's usefulness, it can do nothing but sit in your inventory for eternity or be sold to a vendor for petty money.

But what makes this a bigger issue is that pretty much every month, Sega gives us new rare weapons that completely replace the previously best rare weapons, so you grinded for hours and hours for that drop or spent a ton of Meseta on something that will only be useful for one, two months max.

Meanwhile there hasn't been a single new 3, 4 or 5 star weapon since launch, and there's been 3 new areas with increasingly difficult enemies released since then. There should at least be new 5 star weapons for each type with each new area, and while they might be hard to find, they would be easier (and cheaper) to get than a rare, it wouldn't bind to you and you would still be able to hold your own without being forced to affix a Soul and a relevant Attack+ Ability to your weapon.

Of course, rares should still be better than non-rares, but there should be new non-rares for people who don't feel like blowing their time or money on something that will be obsolete in a matter of weeks.

HFlowen
Aug 16, 2012, 07:36 PM
A slew of 5 new weapon types dropping might mix it up a bit.

FOnewearl-Lina
Aug 16, 2012, 07:37 PM
This is how it should be. You want to get an uber weapon that will last you 6 months from the very beginning?

Zorafim
Aug 16, 2012, 07:39 PM
Nope. I just got the 5*s from the last matter board and ground them to +10. I'm good to go forever and a day.

Zyrusticae
Aug 16, 2012, 07:40 PM
I still don't understand this mindset.

It's perfectly okay for newer gear to obsolete your previous gear. While you're hunting for the newer gear (and THIS WILL TAKE TIME), you can still enjoy the fruits of your labor with your already-uber current rares.

Plus with the way the game works, you won't even be able to use said rares right away - you'll have to spend millions grinding and affixing them to begin with. Good luck with that!

IzzyData
Aug 16, 2012, 07:42 PM
The 5 star weapons are already pretty good. The damage difference between a fully grinded 5 star and a 9 star isn't nearly as significant as normal weapons to the best rares in pso ep 1-2. Your damage output barely changes even when adding 200 attack.

I think things are fine the way the are. With the addition of very hard mode I am confident that "vita" yellow weapons will drop as well as the 2nd and 3rd forms of the normal types in vita quality.

Takatsuki
Aug 16, 2012, 07:42 PM
This is how it should be. You want to get an uber weapon that will last you 6 months from the very beginning?

No, but it doesn't make sense to have every single weapon be obsoleted every month or two. This is especially a problem because it's so easy to level up that all the players who care about having the best weapon are already at level 40, so everything in between rapidly drops in value. There's no middle ground.

And again, it would be different if rares weren't bind on equip. If I could equip a rare sword right now and when I've found a better sword, just put the old one on the player shops, it wouldn't be so much of an issue, but because your investments become completely worthless every month, it makes very little sense to buy or grind for rare weapons.

I mean really, right now, I could go and drop half of my Meseta on one of the best weapons currently in a given class, but what happens when a NEW one comes out? All that Meseta was wasted.

blace
Aug 16, 2012, 07:43 PM
Not too sure on wanting new or more standard weapons, but I would like more too choose from instead of a hunk of metal with a thin photon blade or a smaller hunk of metal with a slightly larger photon blade.

IzzyData
Aug 16, 2012, 07:46 PM
I do agree that the game could benefit from not binding weapons. That seems like a strange addition to the game. Curious to know what their thoughts on that were.

blace
Aug 16, 2012, 07:47 PM
I do agree that the game could benefit from not binding weapons. That seems like a strange addition to the game. Curious to know what their thoughts on that were.
Probably doing what some other games have been doing, pay to unbind the weapon in order to sell it. That's what Dragon Nest has done, you pay for stamps to reseal weapons that you no longer need, but at the cost of reducing the weapons durability.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 16, 2012, 07:49 PM
A couple new 5 stars wouldn't hurt, and maybe a bit more rounding out of the lower tiers - maybe.

At the end of the day, I've been using a couple +10, 5* weapons, and I do just fine. Easier to come by, easier to upgrade. Don't worry about the rares, if that's not your thing. Just go your own pace, and eventually a few might fall in your lap. Honestly, the rares aren't worth it if you're not enjoying the game.

At least, that's my philosophy.

Crystal_Shard
Aug 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
Considering that next month or so we're getting five entirely new weapons classes (and their respective 1* - 5* weapons most likely) I think this complaint's coming a little too early. ^_^ Sure, I'd love to get a bunch of nice new 5*'s provided they didn't do the exact thng you're warning of and obsoleting any rare lower than 9*.

For example, I hate the bunny ear look of the current top 5* rod and would kill to have something that looks more stylish. However, I think you aren't giving the existing rares enough credit. Sega's been churning out new rares each update, yes, but how many of those are far above the current top end rares for their category? I'm pretty sure Ar Dirou and Tig Ridol are still holding the award for highest damage in their current class for example, so it's mostly the Gramasciento and the new launcher that's outclassing older rares at the moment. The remaining newer rares that came out with the Floating Continent are somewhere just below them. If I'm wrong about this though, feel free to correct me. :3

Anyway, at the end of the day, you have to decide for yourself how long you're willing to grind the rat race to better and better rares. If blowing five million meseta on a top end fully grinded rare is your thing, don't let the news of the next big thing rain on your parade so easily, and remember that most of that five million went towards preventing Dodo from screwing you at the RNG game. And if you don't want to spend that much, buy one that's cheaper and build it up yourself instead (slowly of course, Dodo will still rain on your parade no matter what you do. :P), so that it's YOUR rare and not anyone else's.

I choose rares based on how well it looks on my character and personally would never buy or equip most of the higher end rods. I'm quite happy with my current equipment right now.

JeyKama
Aug 16, 2012, 08:31 PM
Don't forget that there is the entirely unused 6* rank.

There's also a lack of 3rd tier 4/5* weapons, much less 2nd/3rd tier of 3*. There's plenty of room to grow when significantly more powerful (i.e. 10*+) rares are available (which is when I'd guess we'd start seeing them)

We actually did get new non-rares (in a sense). For awhile there were no 2nd tier 5* weapons for several weapon categories until the Tundra? update.

FOnewearl-Lina
Aug 16, 2012, 08:56 PM
I mean really, right now, I could go and drop half of my Meseta on one of the best weapons currently in a given class, but what happens when a NEW one comes out? All that Meseta was wasted.

Just like how software companies try to stop you from reselling your games to Gamestop. Though if they start selling unlock items on the cash shop as someone mentioned before, then you'd be complaining that it costs AC to unlock.

Blackheart521
Aug 16, 2012, 09:01 PM
Anyone thought about how there are no 6 Star Weapons? that could be a viable addition.

Edit: Whoops didn't see you pointed that out Jey Kama. ^^;

Kirukia
Aug 16, 2012, 09:11 PM
Anyone thought about how there are no 6 Star Weapons? that could be a viable addition. ^^;

Now that you mention it...what on earth?
Maybe the 6* weapons will continue to be higher rank "normal" weapons that they will implement later.

Zyrusticae
Aug 16, 2012, 09:31 PM
No, 6* weapons will come later.

The pattern is very obvious: For 1-3*, there are three variant common weapons for each type. For 4-6*, there are two variant uncommon weapons for each type. I doubt they will do much in the way of deviation here.

For common weapons, we still have the 3* version of the 2nd and 3rd variants. I would venture that we are also going to see another tier of 3* weapons in the form of purple commons, and that there will be another tier after that of new common weapons that restart from 1* but have incredibly high Atk requirements (for example, the new tier of common swords would use models like the Masked Man from story mode), and they would restart the progression from there.

That's entirely my speculation, mind you, but if they're going to be increasing the level cap all the way to level 100, they're going to have to keep adding more tiers.

Crystal_Shard
Aug 16, 2012, 09:34 PM
Anyone thought about how there are no 6 Star Weapons? that could be a viable addition. ^^;

Yep, Jeykama just mentioned it a little while before you did as well. I didn't realize this little detail myself as well until both of you pointed it out.. Think it's fair to say that this is where our higher end commons will be landing later. :3

NoiseHERO
Aug 16, 2012, 09:45 PM
7 series* wiredlance that nobody know's exists is fugly.

9* series is god

forgot what I was originally going to say...

Enforcer MKV
Aug 16, 2012, 09:46 PM
forgot what I was originally going to say...

Needs moar knuckles?

Takatsuki
Aug 16, 2012, 10:13 PM
So technically, 6 star weapons are in fact, the rarest kind of weapons XD

Blackheart521
Aug 16, 2012, 10:33 PM
So technically, 6 star weapons are in fact, the rarest kind of weapons XD

They are legends from the galaxies of the past O_o

IzzyData
Aug 16, 2012, 10:52 PM
Looking at the pattern of weapons it seems like the vita yellow weapons will be 6 stars.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Akbdpi65EON1dGRTd2hqNXBQMW1Lak9SOFJKM1Utb UE&gid=2

Seems pretty obvious to me. So something like Vita Calibur from very hard mode.

Shadowth117
Aug 16, 2012, 10:54 PM
Looking at the pattern of weapons it seems like the vita yellow weapons will be 6 stars.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Akbdpi65EON1dGRTd2hqNXBQMW1Lak9SOFJKM1Utb UE&gid=2

Pretty much. There's even slots for them on the inventory icon sheet right beside the alba variants.

I definitely wanna see Vita Striker and Vita Folones personally.

Blackheart521
Aug 16, 2012, 11:01 PM

I'm betting they'll have red photons, considering they are going towards warmer colors. i.e. 4 stars are yellow, 5 stars are orange. ^^;

ShadowDragon28
Aug 16, 2012, 11:06 PM
No.

I just want purple photon blades on black bodied weapons.... *sigh*

NoiseHERO
Aug 16, 2012, 11:50 PM
I'm betting they'll have red photons, considering they are going towards warmer colors. i.e. 4 stars are yellow, 5 stars are orange. ^^;

8*s are red D:

GoldenFalcon
Aug 16, 2012, 11:54 PM
The Vita Claymore will probably be solid dark orange, no gradient, like the difference between Alba Sword and Vita Sword.
Speaking of which, if they release Vita Claymore and Vita Gigush at the same time, I honestly don't know which one I'll opt to use. Both would be awesome..

JeyKama
Aug 17, 2012, 12:06 AM
8*s are red D:

Nah~ There are many 8*s that are not that peach hue of Patilmeria/Hyperion/Twizzler/Aristein, like Soul Eater, Saharing, Rongominiado, etc.

I think rare weapons' photon trim colors are based on their "brand" actually. If you notice, Patilmeria/Hyperion/Twizzler/Aristein all share the white/gold trim and peach photon color. The Serpens brand that includes Tig Ridol/Ridul Tib/Garland?/Raizenoc/Jareid all share the deep yellow/white body color and Serpens logo and aqua photon trim.

Aeris
Aug 17, 2012, 01:06 AM
No.

I just want purple photon blades on black bodied weapons.... *sigh*

[SPOILER-BOX]
If only you had his weapon lol
http://www.pso2-uploader.info/uploda/src/up14165.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Yunfa
Aug 17, 2012, 01:12 AM
While people complain about wasting meseta, im over here trying to have every rare out there @ +10...

Ce'Nedra
Aug 17, 2012, 03:50 AM
Rares account binding + crappy grinding system + every month new, more powerfull rares = I don't grind my rares.

We could really settle for new basic weapons. Heck Sega should introduce 6* weapons, it goes from 5 straight to 7. What happend to 6*?

Blackheart521
Aug 17, 2012, 03:55 AM
Don't forget that there is the entirely unused 6* rank.

Anyone thought about how there are no 6 Star Weapons? that could be a viable addition.

Heck Sega should introduce 6* weapons, it goes from 5 straight to 7. What happend to 6*?

Had to do this haha... was a funny thing to point out. ^^;

Meevs
Aug 21, 2012, 07:19 PM
Anybody know that purple blade in the pic? Is it a rare? Do you find it in the tundra? ^^

Takatsuki
Aug 21, 2012, 07:26 PM
I just realized I made two complaining topics with almost the same title.
Go me.

MCF
Aug 21, 2012, 09:23 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]
If only you had his weapon lol
http://www.pso2-uploader.info/uploda/src/up14165.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

LOOOL the guy killed xeno :p

Vashyron
Aug 21, 2012, 09:26 PM
Anybody know that purple blade in the pic? Is it a rare? Do you find it in the tundra? ^^

It's not obtainable by players yet, it's a purple photon version of the "Courtedge (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/Temp/ui_item_1010043.png)" Sword that was obtainable in the Alpha.

TaigaUC
Aug 21, 2012, 10:05 PM
There aren't enough common weapons at max level because the game assumes you want to twink out and only provides a slew of ridiculously expensive (and ugly) rares. It's designed that way for the purpose of money sink.

I actually prefer the look of most of the early common weapons (for all weapon types) over the later stuff, especially over the rares. I also think it's easier for the common white/black weapons to match character outfits. Many rares look to me like huge bloated amalgamations of chunky bright colors. A lot of games that rely on weapon progression seem to take this route - common weapons fit the game's context, while rare weapons look ridiculously over-the-top as if they serve the purpose of being beacons for attention.

I've always wished games would let players keep the appearance of equipment they like. I think Vindictus has a system in place that allows that for clothing, but I don't recall if it supported weapons or not.