PDA

View Full Version : Translated announcements for non-english patch users?

Silver Crow
Aug 17, 2012, 03:06 PM
Really having trouble knowing when an event starts since i don't use the english patch (and won't be using it, trying to learn japanese).

Could anyone give a list of common announcements in their kana/romanji form and translation? Would be helpful, thanks.

ScottyMango
Aug 17, 2012, 03:08 PM
Why would you prefer to look up a site and have to cross-check a Japanese paragraph, rather than just being able to read it in-game...?

jooozek
Aug 17, 2012, 03:13 PM
It shows up in the chatlog so just copy it from there to google translate.

Blackheart521
Aug 17, 2012, 03:13 PM
Really having trouble knowing when an event starts since i don't use the english patch (and won't be using it, trying to learn japanese).

Could anyone give a list of common announcements in their kana/romanji form and translation? Would be helpful, thanks.

you could always copy and paste the announcement from the chat-box into google translate since all system messages appear there too. ^^

Edit: Ninja'd

NoiseHERO
Aug 17, 2012, 03:18 PM
I dunno...

They're pretty easy to remember by ear...

The only time you'll need specific details is for the interrupt rankings. But you may as well get the english patch if you care THAT much. Everything else they tell you is pretty easy to remember. if it's super important like "THERE'S HACKERS CLIMBING IN YOUR BEDROOMS AND SNATCHIN' YOU WAIFU'S UP!" then you'd probably hear about it here on PSOW or Bumped.

Silver Crow
Aug 17, 2012, 03:23 PM
I think you all misunderstood me. I only care for the announcements about event/emergency quests. Could anyone list them in romanji for each type of quest?

Halcyote
Aug 17, 2012, 03:23 PM
if you can't differentiate between the messages, listen to the tone of the announcer's voice.

if it's a lot more serious, then it's most likely an emergency event (urban, fangbros). for urban, she would say "Arks something something Darker something"; keep your ear tuned to those words. if she doesn't say any of those, then it's going to be the fangbros emergency mission.

otherwise if she sounds a little more upbeat then it's the interrupt rankings and you can participate in those accordingly.

jooozek
Aug 17, 2012, 03:26 PM
I think you all misunderstood me. I only care for the announcements about event/emergency quests. Could anyone list them in romanji for each type of quest?

http://www.romaji.org/

NoiseHERO
Aug 17, 2012, 03:27 PM
if you can't differentiate between the messages, listen to the tone of the announcer's voice.

if it's a lot more serious, then it's most likely an emergency event (urban, fangbros). for urban, she would say "Arks something something Darker something"; keep your ear tuned to those words. if she doesn't say any of those, then it's going to be the fangbros emergency mission.

otherwise if she sounds a little more upbeat then it's the interrupt rankings and you can participate in those accordingly.

What I meant by common sense. :/

BUT YEAH I GUESS SOME PEOPLE NEED THE DETAILS!

Silver Crow
Aug 17, 2012, 03:36 PM
What I meant by common sense. :/

BUT YEAH I GUESS SOME PEOPLE NEED THE DETAILS!

lol, i never payed enough attention for that. guess i'll have to from now on.

PEACE

Lostbob117
Aug 17, 2012, 03:37 PM
Why don't you use the English patch?

Ueno54
Aug 17, 2012, 03:58 PM
It's always been pretty easy to tell what she's rambling about just from ear. You're not likely to learn Japanese from this stuff unless you're taking a class as your main method.

Zipzo
Aug 17, 2012, 05:40 PM

Could anyone give a list of common announcements in their kana/romanji form and translation? Would be helpful, thanks.You know that there are more productive forms of learning Japanese, like...books. The internet. A teacher.

Silver Crow
Aug 17, 2012, 05:49 PM
You know that there are more productive forms of learning Japanese, like...books. The internet. A teacher.

Can't tell if joking or stoned. I'm learning japanese, i never said i was learning japanese FROM the game. What are you smoking lol.

ScottyMango
Aug 17, 2012, 05:54 PM
You're the one who's not making any sense.

If you don't already know Japanese, and you're not learning from the game, why not just use the patch until you have an understanding of Japanese?

Where's the logic in wanting something to be currently unreadable, just because one day you might be able to read it.

I mean, you just asked for a translation...

ashley50
Aug 17, 2012, 05:56 PM
If you want visual confirmation, go to the shopping area every time you see an announcement.

Silver Crow
Aug 17, 2012, 06:13 PM
You're the one who's not making any sense.

If you don't already know Japanese, and you're not learning from the game, why not just use the patch until you have an understanding of Japanese?

Where's the logic in wanting something to be currently unreadable, just because one day you might be able to read it.

I mean, you just asked for a translation...

lol? without english patch im forced to atleast read some things in japanese. every little helps. i'm not gonna download english patch for the sake of 'little' improved quality of life. i had trouble with announcements thats all.

Inazuma
Aug 17, 2012, 06:21 PM
@Silver Crow
Congrats on wanting to learn Japanese. Playing PSO2 in Japanese without the English patch will go a long way in helping you learn. Immersion is a very good method for learning new languages and it was how I learned Japanese. If you are going to watch anime, get rid of those English subtitles and watch it in Japanese, even if you don't understand most of it. You would be surprised how much you can learn from context. English translations are distracting and may prevent you from hearing/reading the original Japanese, which could impede your progress in learning the language.

And to the naysayers, you CAN learn Japanese from playing Japanese video games, especially online ones since you need to communicate in Japanese as well.

When you hear the female announcer speaking, try to read the text and follow along with her, matching the audio to the text. If you don't understand a word, copy it and paste it into a translator.

http://www.polarcloud.com/rikaichan

I use this handy Firefox extension. You can toggle it on to read Japanese simply by highlighting it, or you can bring up a text entry field and paste your Japanese word in there. Either way, it will quickly tell you how to read the Japanese, along with the English translation.

When playing with Japanese players, tell them you are learning Japanese, and ask them questions. They should generally be happy and willing to help you out. People like you who have the desire to learn Japanese are thought highly of by the Japanese.

Do you play on Ship 2? If so, please send me a friend request (my info is in my sig). My Japanese isn't perfect but it's pretty good. When you play with me, you can use as much Japanese as you can, and only use English for stuff you can't say in Japanese. I can help you out with anything you need. Take care~ (^_^)/

Link1275
Aug 17, 2012, 06:51 PM
Here is the easy way to tell if it's an event or, an interrupt ranking announcement. Firstly, if it's an interrupt ranking the announcer says interrupt. Secondly if its' an urban emergency they'll say ARKs at the start. Thirdly if none of the above happen the announcer is saying that they are preparing for a large scale event involving the participation of all ARKs members.

hanazawadeus
Aug 17, 2012, 07:11 PM
you don't have to read but try to listen carefully to the announcer's Engrish, if you hear she saying something like "ranking" then it's not, anything else is :P

NightfallG
Aug 17, 2012, 07:14 PM
She pretty clearly says Interrupt Ranking when she's talking about it. Also, look for the 04:00 in the text.

So hey, why are people shitting on this guy for not using the patch? He wants to bolster his language study with immersion, and this game's a pretty good chance.

Zipzo
Aug 17, 2012, 07:25 PM
She pretty clearly says Interrupt Ranking when she's talking about it. Also, look for the 04:00 in the text.

So hey, why are people shitting on this guy for not using the patch? He wants to bolster his language study with immersion, and this game's a pretty good chance.Because he's asking for a translation...if he's trying to learn the language...why does he need to ask us for a translation...if somebody asks for a translation to something in game, 9/10 the first recommendation is probably going to be to just get the english patch because, well, it translates it for you.

Otherwise, he should just learn from immersion, instead of asking us, who...are few and far between trying to accomplish the same goals as him...

NoiseHERO
Aug 17, 2012, 07:30 PM
You guys can have your e-peen sword fight and all but, OP was pretty much done by the first page.

Damn, saying you guys argue about the most pointless shit would be an understatement