PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Cheapest possible laptop to run PSO2? (yes, I know)

Billkwando
Aug 19, 2012, 09:17 PM
Hi all!

I have a conundrum. My wife'a favorite game (besides Shenmue) is PSO. She's currently in the hospital, and will be for the foreseeable future. I wanted to cheer her up and get her something to do by getting her on PSO2. Her laptop (a Dell 1525...I thought about upgrading the CPU and ram, but I doubt it would help) doesn't have a chance in hell of running PSO2.

I'm looking for the CHEAPEST possible laptop (you can see why "get a desktop" isn't an appropriate response here, lol) that will run PSO2 on ANY settings. She's used to the DC and PSU, so she'll be happy with anything. She's gonna need some physical rehabilitation that's gonna keep her in bed for a while, so obviously I have to be as careful as possible with money, cos dem medical bills gon' be crazy.

I'm hoping for links to specific models. I normally don't require hand holding but I've tried to do my own research and it seems like most of the threads are geared toward getting PCs that will run it on the highest settings. I run it at home (ok-ish) on an Intel Core 2 2.13ghz with 4g of ram and a nvidia 8800 GTS 512....so I'm assuming something like this wouldn't be enough?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230401

Any help would be appreciated.

IzzyData
Aug 19, 2012, 09:22 PM
Compare the graphics cards to this chart. You'd probably want something with at least a score of 700 to play it optimally.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

That laptop probably wont be good enough.

Edit: You might be able to get away with around 400-500 at very low settings and lower resolution. If someone has a 300-500 dollar laptop that can run it I'd be curious to know what kind.

Ana-Chan
Aug 19, 2012, 09:32 PM
Hi all!

I have a conundrum. My wife'a favorite game (besides Shenmue) is PSO. She's currently in the hospital, and will be for the foreseeable future. I wanted to cheer her up and get her something to do by getting her on PSO2. Her laptop (a Dell 1525...I thought about upgrading the CPU and ram, but I doubt it would help) doesn't have a chance in hell of running PSO2.

I'm looking for the CHEAPEST possible laptop (you can see why "get a desktop" isn't an appropriate response here, lol) that will run PSO2 on ANY settings. She's used to the DC and PSU, so she'll be happy with anything. She's gonna need some physical rehabilitation that's gonna keep her in bed for a while, so obviously I have to be as careful as possible with money, cos dem medical bills gon' be crazy.

I'm hoping for links to specific models. I normally don't require hand holding but I've tried to do my own research and it seems like most of the threads are geared toward getting PCs that will run it on the highest settings. I run it at home (ok-ish) on an Intel Core 2 2.13ghz with 4g of ram and a nvidia 8800 GTS 512....so I'm assuming something like this wouldn't be enough?:

The minimum specs for the game are clearly given.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (which was 1.86GHz dual core)
RAM: Windows XP 1.5GB, Vista/7 2GB
HDD: 8GB
Graphics: NVidia 7800GT or above (similar class for other graphics processors, so I think that should either be the Radeon HD2000 series or the Radion x1000 series, probably the HD2000, not sure about Intel though).

Billkwando
Aug 19, 2012, 09:32 PM
Compare the graphics cards to this chart. You'd probably want something with at least a score of 700 to play it optimally.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

That laptop probably wont be good enough.

I see. That laptop scored down in the 400s.

What about the processor? Is 1.5ghz enough to run it or does it at least need to be 2? I know my desktop struggles sometimes (runs at 99% or 100% but still runs ok) but it's old.

Edit: I see the minimum requirements now, but suggestions and further insight are still welcome.

IzzyData
Aug 19, 2012, 09:35 PM
A 1.5ghz processor seems a little low. The cpu's isn't normally the bottleneck when playing video games, but I think I'd want a little better than AMD's atom processor equivalent.

My netbook's cpu is 1.6 ghz and I know for a fact it would struggle trying to play pso2 despite the graphical issues.

Aeris
Aug 20, 2012, 12:21 AM
As long as you meet the min specs, it should play fine but how much (budget) are you willing to spend for buying one?

Coatl
Aug 20, 2012, 12:27 AM
Hey, just wanted to wish you and your wife good luck. ; )

Neirene
Aug 20, 2012, 01:27 AM
Hi all!

She will be able to play PSO2 without problems at default settings with this laptop as it has a nice videocard which is the thing PSO2 is most dependant with additionally you can check offerings from nvidia with laptops that include a geforce 630 or 620 series but overall they might be weaker and more expensive (but still within the 300$~550$ price range) and because of the situation you are mentioning to us for her that laptop you are showing us will be able to run the game without problems in the meanwhile.

Moreover I wish her good luck, best wishes and a fast recovery!

PD: I've already checked neweggs offerings on laptops from ASUS, ACER and LENOVO and so far it looks like you already choosen the best laptop performance/money value wise so I would say go for it as it's a very good choice!

Mag-X
Aug 20, 2012, 01:38 AM
If you don't need to play with high shaders, modern Intel graphics can more than handle PSO2. My work laptop has a 2.3 GHz Core i5 2410M with HD 3000 graphics. It does well above 60 FPS with shaders turned down.

Neirene
Aug 20, 2012, 01:43 AM
If you don't need to play with high shaders, modern Intel graphics can more than handle PSO2. My work laptop has a 2.3 GHz Core i5 2410M with HD 3000 graphics. It does well above 60 FPS with shaders turned down.

That's an experiment i wanted to try if you say that the Intel HD graphic series works then he has a much broader choice choice of laptops that can run the game and of course save a little bit more of money too.

Demon-
Aug 20, 2012, 03:30 AM
Most of the time during closed beta I was away from home and playing on my laptop that had a Intel GMA 4500MHD. With the settings as low as possible, it actually gets a good FPS rate.

gaogaostegosaurus
Aug 20, 2012, 07:39 AM
I played most of the beta on a A6 laptop that was a little under 400 bucks. At that price point, you're not going to get a lot of video options that are better than that, I think. Mine scored something like 3200 with a SSD and 2600? before that on the benchmark. That's good enough to turn on everything except shaders (which I guess really doesn't say much, but there it is). A6 graphics run circles around Intel integrated graphics (from the same generation anyway), as well.

If you're on a budget something like that is pretty good.

Dan Maku
Aug 20, 2012, 07:41 AM
If it helps any, I got a pretty cheap (about $300-$400) laptop, and it runs PSO2 fairly well. Graphics take a bit of a hit, but the game itself plays smoothly.

Orlandez
Aug 20, 2012, 06:57 PM
I got my laptop roughly 1-2 years ago for about $400 and it runs at a stable framerate for the most part, save for times like Beize destruction missions.

Processor AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72, 2.1GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 3200
RAM: 4GB

The GPU is outside minimum specs but still runs the game fine

Also, I wish you and your wife the best

Billkwando
Aug 20, 2012, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the advice and the kind words everybody. :)

I'm gonna check into the return policy on laptops. Maybe I can try to load my character on there and see how it runs. With the Radeon stuff, is it the lower the number series on the gpu, the better? Thinking a 3200 and 2.1ghz is pretty beefy compared to the one I linked to.

If I can try it out that would relieve some of the worry. We'll see!

I suppose there aren't any other places comparable to newegg? Searching Amazon gave me a headache.

HFlowen
Aug 20, 2012, 09:14 PM
I got my laptop roughly 1-2 years ago for about $400 and it runs at a stable framerate for the most part, save for times like Beize destruction missions.

Processor AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72, 2.1GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 3200
RAM: 4GB

The GPU is outside minimum specs but still runs the game fine

Also, I wish you and your wife the best

That's almost exactly what my laptop runs, but my turion has a higher clock. I can just barely run pso2 at the lowest possible settings at 1280x720. Yea, when the Beize explodes and similar effects happen my FPS disappear and I start watching a slide show. Otherwise it... works for the most part assuming my laptop doesn't melt from the CPU going insane.

Got a spiffy new laptop coming in tomorrow though.

Orlandez
Aug 20, 2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the advice and the kind words everybody. :)

I'm gonna check into the return policy on laptops. Maybe I can try to load my character on there and see how it runs. With the Radeon stuff, is it the lower the number series on the gpu, the better? Thinking a 3200 and 2.1ghz is pretty beefy compared to the one I linked to.

If I can try it out that would relieve some of the worry. We'll see!

I suppose there aren't any other places comparable to newegg? Searching Amazon gave me a headache.

It's the higher number the better , and tigerdirect sometimes has some good deals, but newegg is usually better overall

Ana-Chan
Aug 20, 2012, 09:21 PM
That's almost exactly what my laptop runs, but my turion has a higher clock. I can just barely run pso2 at the lowest possible settings at 1280x720. Yea, when the Beize explodes and similar effects happen my FPS disappear and I start watching a slide show. Otherwise it... works for the most part assuming my laptop doesn't melt from the CPU going insane.

Got a spiffy new laptop coming in tomorrow though.

As with all modern games, the GPU is the bottle neck, and if the GPU can't handle things then it often falls back to the CPU.

Under normal circumstances your CPU would be powerful enough (the minimum specs list a 1.8GHz processor as the minimum). Then it is really the HD3200 that is the problem

Even though it is a family higher, the HD3200 is still weaker than the NVidia 7800 class that it has listed as the minimum (I think the 3600 should be around similar to that).

Billkwando
Aug 21, 2012, 07:13 AM
Wow...that ASUS laptop sold out/discontinued in the two days this thread has been up. Just my luck.

Edit: Can anyone confirm that they've run PSO2 on anything less than a 2.0GHz processor and had it work? I'm a little leery of ordering something under the minimum requirements, CPU wise. The one I'm looking at now is a 1.6GHz. I will concede I never buy new computers (I've had 2 desktops in 12 years) so I'm not as well versed on hardware as I should be. Newegg's return/exchange policy is basically "go to hell", like packaged software.

This is the one I'm looking at now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246322&SortField=1&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Neirene
Aug 21, 2012, 08:46 AM
Wow...that ASUS laptop sold out/discontinued in the two days this thread has been up. Just my luck.

Edit: Can anyone confirm that they've run PSO2 on anything less than a 2.0GHz processor and had it work? I'm a little leery of ordering something under the minimum requirements, CPU wise. The one I'm looking at now is a 1.6GHz. I will concede I never buy new computers (I've had 2 desktops in 12 years) so I'm not as well versed on hardware as I should be. Newegg's return/exchange policy is basically "go to hell", like packaged software.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246322&SortField=1&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

That lenovo was my choice for you but since you mentioned you wanted the cheapest as possible i didnt sent you the link ^^; this is a very good computer (better than the old one you show us) and can run PSO2 as well!

Billkwando
Aug 21, 2012, 09:20 AM
That lenovo was my choice for you but since you mentioned you wanted the cheapest as possible i didnt sent you the link ^^; this is a very good computer (better than the old one you show us) and can run PSO2 as well!

and you're sure that it will run even though the CPU is under the minimum spec?

All I know is that if I pull the trigger on this thing and they announce a 360 version next week or next month, I'll be very sad panda.

Neirene
Aug 21, 2012, 09:28 AM
1.6 ghz dual core can run PSO2 without problems since the game depends more on the graphic card than on the CPU itself the A8 series of processors from AMD are very good for nowadays gaming in general

You will be able to run the game on this computer without problems

There wont be console release of the game aside from the PS Vita and Ipod/Android the next year

Billkwando
Aug 21, 2012, 09:59 AM
1.6 ghz dual core can run PSO2 without problems since the game depends more on the graphic card than on the CPU itself the A8 series of processors from AMD are very good for nowadays gaming in general

You will be able to run the game on this computer without problems

There wont be console release of the game aside from the PS Vita and Ipod/Android the next year

I only ask because my desktop PC is 2.13ghz with 3.5g of ram and a nvidia 8800 GTS, and IT hits 99-100% if I have crap running at the same time as the game. This worries me.....but then again, I have EVERYTHING turned on (but running at 640x480 fullscreen...on an sdtv...long story).

Aeris
Aug 21, 2012, 03:24 PM
and you're sure that it will run even though the CPU is under the minimum spec?

All I know is that if I pull the trigger on this thing and they announce a 360 version next week or next month, I'll be very sad panda.

Seems like the cpu has some sort of turbo frequency (2.5GHz) like intel's i5 and i7 series has and a nice integrated gpu from the details of the computer from which i looked at when i mostly buy a PC.

JanosA
Aug 21, 2012, 03:39 PM

my laptop has 1.8ghz with a geforce Go 7600 gpu, and runs it fine on lowest setting....

IHeartRice
Aug 21, 2012, 04:23 PM
This one is almost the same as the one you posted originally:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230457

Around the $500 price range, the AMD Llano (Trinity maybe) based laptops are your best bet.

If you don't mind spending a bit more (and buying an Acer) and getting a much better gpu:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215390

Good luck to you and your wife.

alatnet
Aug 21, 2012, 06:07 PM
http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/satellite/E205/E205-S1904/
That's the one that i have, though unfortunately it is not being sold anymore. i was able to nab it at around $750 and it includes wimax for internet without wifi (i.e. 4g internet with clear.com at $35/month or $40/month).
It runs pso2 beautifully when the settings are adjusted right.

Sha Sha
Aug 21, 2012, 06:54 PM
Hey I was looking at this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834158243
I would like to know how it'll do for PSO2

Lostbob117
Aug 21, 2012, 07:03 PM
Is there any suggestions for good laptop that can run max graphics, at the res 1280 by 800. Also with it being able to have firefox opened and take videos at good quality? Also I want it to be cheap.

Cla
Aug 21, 2012, 11:49 PM
My friend got this exact laptop and it plays PSO2 surprisingly well:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Red-11.6-Aspire-AO722-0879-Laptop-PC-with-AMD-Dual-Core-C-60-Accelerated-Processor-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium-with-Windows-8-Pro-Upgrade-Option/19714368
($278 Acer Aspire AO722-0879)

You have to put the game on the lowest graphic settings, of course. But it does run at a fairly smooth 30fps in battle. It stutters a little bit in town if there are a bunch of players around, but it's still playable. I really did not expect it but the game is truly entirely playable on this thing.

Aeris
Aug 22, 2012, 12:18 AM
Hey I was looking at this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834158243
I would like to know how it'll do for PSO2
Integrated graphics card by AMD, might be able to run it at low to normal settings with little to no shaders with no issues.

Is there any suggestions for good laptop that can run max graphics, at the res 1280 by 800. Also with it being able to have firefox opened and take videos at good quality? Also I want it to be cheap.
Really depends on the hardware mostly the cpu and hard drive since its recording onto the computer, you might want a quad core since pso2 uses both cores on a dual core processor.

.Jack
Aug 22, 2012, 01:07 AM

I currently use an Asus g74sx and it can do more than but that's going to cost around the 1k mark which is bit cheaper now compared to last year.

What is your budget?

alatnet
Aug 22, 2012, 08:31 AM
If you are looking for a laptop that can play pso2 at max settings, you are going to be looking for a laptop that is at least in the 1.5K+ range...

.Jack
Aug 22, 2012, 01:55 PM
If you are looking for a laptop that can play pso2 at max settings, you are going to be looking for a laptop that is at least in the 1.5K+ range...

I disagree. An example (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230237) of something that will suffice.

HFlowen
Aug 22, 2012, 02:11 PM

Nah, I just got a new laptop for 1.1k and it runs pso2 maxed out at 1920x1080 without even getting lukewarm.

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Multimedia_Entertainment/N56VZ/#specifications

Chik'Tikka
Aug 22, 2012, 02:47 PM
i was about to suggest the one i have since it handles PSO2 at max settings (though i turned off blur) but when i went to find it on amazon, it now costs $1,021.44, when i bought it, it was like $600+^_^+ Toshiba P775-S7234 with a 17.3" screen, though i use a 32" Panny for my monitor+^_^+ anyway, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214603 is the cheapest laptop that I'd try to run PSO2 on, $469.99 on newegg+^_^+

Lostbob117
Aug 22, 2012, 05:16 PM
Yeah I'll stick with getting my pc new parts was hoping for a cheap laptop like in the 200. heh

Halikus
Aug 23, 2012, 08:25 AM

+1. My new work laptop is just like this. PSO2 is not an issue as long as the shaders are turned down even at 1080p. It will also runs all sorts of other games games on lower settings fine. I use mine for mass effect 3 and Eve online.

Billkwando
Aug 23, 2012, 08:27 AM
If you don't mind spending a bit more (and buying an Acer) and getting a much better gpu:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215390

Good luck to you and your wife.

Thanks again! I wanted to let you know that this is the one I actually ordered. It was a little pricy, but only like 100 or so more than the cheapy ones I was looking at, so I figure it's worth eating ramen for a while if it makes her happy and serves her well. ;)

I got to see her alert and completely awake for the first time in a month, and even though she's on a ventilator (in her throat) she can still smile and nod and point at letters on a letterboard.

I told her about PSO2 and the conversation went something like this.

Me: Do you remember me telling you right before you got sick that PSO2 was out?
Her: (shakes head)
Me: Well, I did, and your laptop doesn't have a chance in hell of running it, so I'm getting you a new one.
Her: (shakes head)
Me: No, as long as you're in the hospital, I'm in charge of the money, so you're gettin' one.
Her: (smile)
Me: Oh and by the way, raising mags is back.
Her: HUGE SMILE

I really appreciate everybody's help!

Lostbob117
Aug 23, 2012, 04:04 PM
Did you put pso2 on that laptop yet?

WienerWuerstel
Aug 23, 2012, 04:59 PM
Nah, I just got a new laptop for 1.1k and it runs pso2 maxed out at 1920x1080 without even getting lukewarm.

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Multimedia_Entertainment/N56VZ/#specifications

That's a really nice Ultrabook right there. Thinking about getting this one at the end of the Year or earlier.

Billkwando
Aug 23, 2012, 05:59 PM

Not yet....just finished work earlier and unpacked it just now. More info soon....

Edit: Windows Easy Transfer takes FOREVER. Guess I should've grabbed that crossover cable in the laundry room. Wireless is not ideal.

Billkwando
Aug 24, 2012, 08:41 PM

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys. Been sick and slept half the day.

I have to say I'm very pleased with this lappy.

First off, the benhmark. It only scored 488 with the slider on 2. @1600x900 fullscreen.....averaging 20 to 40 Fps. With the slider on 1 it scored 4230 and hit like a bajillion frames a second (in the 100s).

One thing I'm more than a little concerned about is the benchmark prog says the GPU is a 6520, not a 7670 like newegg claims, and Acer has no updated drivers for it. Wtf, right?

On the actual game:
With the slider in the middle, and EVERYTHING turned on in the game but antialiasing (and all the sliders one notch away from max, except for model count, which is 5 or 10), the game runs fine and looks awesome. I don't think it's hitting anywhere near 60fps (I don't know how to check), but it's totally playable and doesn't mess with your attack combos at all. It's not smooth as silk animation, but I seriously don't think my wife would care or even notice. Plus that's with browsers and other crap open. I didn't kill every unneeded process like I do when I play it on my desktop.

What's the next lowest res I could play it on and keep the same aspect ratio? I wanna try that and see if it runs better.

I think it will be perfect. Now only to figure out the graphics conundrum.

bryanbtje
Aug 24, 2012, 08:54 PM
Here are some 16:9 resolutions:
852x480
1280x720
1365x768
1600x900
1920x1080

Billkwando
Aug 24, 2012, 09:05 PM
Here are some 16:9 resolutions:
852x480
1280x720
1365x768
1600x900
1920x1080

Thank you so much!

I look at so many various proportioned monitors every day, I wasn't sure what was 16:9 and what wasn't.

Edit: When I look under Display adapters in System. it shows 2. HD 7670M and HD 6520G

Any ideas?

IHeartRice
Aug 24, 2012, 10:30 PM
Thank you so much!

I look at so many various proportioned monitors every day, I wasn't sure what was 16:9 and what wasn't.

Edit: When I look under Display adapters in System. it shows 2. HD 7670M and HD 6520G

Any ideas?

You might still be using the integrated graphics (6520), and not the dedicated (7670).

Lostbob117
Aug 24, 2012, 10:30 PM
How to make the game look good and not take up so much ram, turn the slider to one and go to where the textures and shadow options are and put them both at the top option.

Neirene
Aug 24, 2012, 10:31 PM
One is the dedicated (the 7670) and another one is the built in one into the A8 processor which is the 6520, the computer seems to be taking advantage of both graphic chips to make the graphics in hybrid crossfire im sure your wife will be able to enjoy the game like it should be dont worry for the FPS i play in overall 30fps and the game is perfectly playable!

Moreover I wish her the best and please take care of yourself too Billkwando the last thing you need to give her is more worries that you get sick too!

Enjoy PSO2 ^^

Billkwando
Aug 24, 2012, 10:33 PM
You might still be using the integrated graphics (6520), and not the dedicated (7670).

Yeah, I figured out there's some kind of dual graphics crossfire thingy.

How to make the game look good and not take up so much ram, turn the slider to one and go to where the textures and shadow options are and put them both at the top option.

Wait, what?

One is the dedicated (the 7670) and another one is the built in one into the A8 processor which is the 6520, the computer seems to be taking advantage of both graphic chips to make the graphics in hybrid crossfire

Yeah I just can't figure out how to tell it to play in fancy mode. ;)

Neirene
Aug 24, 2012, 10:36 PM
Hybrid Crossfire configuration should be located within the performance and gaming options of the Catalyst Control Center unfortunatelly i dont own a hybrid crossfire type computer to show you screenies but both chipsets are handled through the CCC so the option to choose either or or both must be there!

Billkwando
Aug 24, 2012, 10:42 PM
Hybrid Crossfire configuration should be located within the performance and gaming options of the Catalyst Control Center unfortunatelly i dont own a hybrid crossfire type computer to show you screenies but both chipsets are handled through the CCC so the option to choose either or or both must be there!

I have the "enable crossfire" box checked, but I don't know if I need to add the pso2 exe to a list of apps or something to associate it.

Edit: OK, I figured out how to change the setting in the AMD control panel for the benchmark program to "High Performance" instead of "Power Saving", and the score (2nd notch on the slider) jumped up from 488 (previously) to 1330, hovering around 30 to 40 fps.

With the slider on the 1st notch, the score jumped from 4230 to 8763 (!!!) and around 90/100 fps (going as high as 200). It still shows the graphics card as being the HD 6520.

I will be going back and revisiting my settings for the regular game now! (will report back)

im sure your wife will be able to enjoy the game like it should be dont worry for the FPS i play in overall 30fps and the game is perfectly playable!

Moreover I wish her the best and please take care of yourself too Billkwando the last thing you need to give her is more worries that you get sick too!

Enjoy PSO2 ^^

Thanks a bunch! You're so sweet! :)

I think she'll find it even more enjoyabler if this crossfire setting makes as much of a difference in the game as it did in the benchmark! ;)

Edit 2:

I keep turning up settings on this laptop, and I CAN'T get it to chug. Off to turn the slider up to 5 or whatever to see if it explodes. This thing is soooo awesome.

Edit 3:

Ok, I just maxed EVERYTHING out, slider to 5, all options on, all in-game sliders maxed, and the ONLY noticable performance issue was that it took like 2 or 3 minutes to load the textures for the army of player characters standing around in block 20, by the quest counter. This laptop is a beast. Thanks again for the suggestion, IHeartRice.....and thanks again again to everybody else for their advice and kind words. :D

If anybody wants to know what lappy to buy, this is it. Apparently you really don't have to spend 1k to max out the settings after all, unless there are some settings I can't get to (I've seen the editable config file before, but haven't bothered to mess with it). Just about bedtime for me....wasn't tired yet since I woke up around noon......but if I make any new observations about the laptop, I'll let you guys know. :)

Chik'Tikka
Aug 25, 2012, 01:35 AM
The benchmark was released a long time ago and it had a lot of flaws, the full game has since seen many optimizations+^_^+ also, PSO2 uses a modified version of DXDiag, and with a laptop that uses switchable graphics (ATI or Nvidia) DXDiag only recognizes the integrated IGP (as the finished rendered frame goes out on the same BUS for both GPUs) this can also cause strange readings with benchmark testing as well as mislabeled GPU info+^_^+

[SPOILER-BOX]
determined that the cause is Nvidia Optimus and AMD PowerExpress, both of those features use a custom made bus that essentially creates a sli/crossfire interface between the CPU integrated graphics (in my case Intel Family graphic) and runs the output of both GPUs simultaneously through the same bus, unfortunately, Windows OS only recognizes all data off this bus as coming from the CPU integrated graphics regardless of which chip did the actually processing and buffering *see diagram*, an easy fix Sega could implement is to simply allow users with integrated graphics to attempt to increase detailed model count and simply implement a warning that it might crash the program rather then lock IGP users out altogether+^_^+
[SPOILER-BOX]http://s1.hubimg.com/u/2750488_f520.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]
as you can see from the diagram, the Radeon or Nvidia chip copies it's own rendered frame into the IGP buffer, where PSO2 then thinks that the IGP made it and auto restricts us+^_^+[/SPOILER-BOX]

also, that post was before Sega disabled the game reading system specs and allowing me to render 5-100 characters if i choose to (before that patch, detail count was stuck at 5----|----5 and would only load 5 players at a time)+^_^+ i wonder if they listened to me somehow+^_^+

Billkwando
Aug 25, 2012, 03:03 PM
Here's a couple pics with the settings on max:
[spoiler-box]
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-e0OqUz2h73o/UDhwzv3oDUI/AAAAAAAAA1M/JGA3I1m_9iU/pso20120825_013709_000.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GtAL0nrKPv4/UDhw0OYa2bI/AAAAAAAAA1Y/YkOyx-cx4K8/pso20120825_013721_001.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-H9qfUAwJKOM/UDhw0eFv7-I/AAAAAAAAA1k/eS6B0NNgrMY/pso20120825_013729_002.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-sEupKnxZI_g/UDhwzucFuCI/AAAAAAAAA1Q/308eM34JJaE/pso20120825_010900_000.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-XhnXCzrEeNI/UDhwziqLGaI/AAAAAAAAA1I/81iHmnyTUBA/pso20120825_010915_001.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8mpev36o2Uo/UDhw0MZQ1VI/AAAAAAAAA1c/jNZo8GyZJNM/pso20120825_014122_003.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_L3JjuTcwDw/UDhw0oa2qTI/AAAAAAAAA1o/LjEaTTnMsYA/pso20120825_014128_004.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

Edit: stupid picasa made the pics small even though I stripped out the resize data...and now I can't edit the image urls cos it converts it to a pic as soon as you paste it. They store the pic full size, but manipulate it via the url. Pic should look like this:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8mpev36o2Uo/UDhw0MZQ1VI/AAAAAAAAA1c/jNZo8GyZJNM/s1600/pso20120825_014122_003.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_L3JjuTcwDw/UDhw0oa2qTI/AAAAAAAAA1o/LjEaTTnMsYA/s1600/pso20120825_014128_004.jpg

The benchmark was released a long time ago and it had a lot of flaws, the full game has since seen many optimizations+^_^+ also, PSO2 uses a modified version of DXDiag, and with a laptop that uses switchable graphics (ATI or Nvidia) DXDiag only recognizes the integrated IGP (as the finished rendered frame goes out on the same BUS for both GPUs) this can also cause strange readings with benchmark testing as well as mislabeled GPU info+^_^+

also, that post was before Sega disabled the game reading system specs and allowing me to render 5-100 characters if i choose to (before that patch, detail count was stuck at 5----|----5 and would only load 5 players at a time)+^_^+ i wonder if they listened to me somehow+^_^+

I don't know much about the technical stuff. All I know is this game runs basically perfect with max settings when it shouldn't. Good enough for me. :)

Off topic: I noticed your friends list stays after you delete a character. I sent myself a FR from the account I made for my wife, and I got it even after I'd deleted the character. I also dumped everything in her storage before deleting (I've done this twice now, once before I figured out the crossfire/high performance thing, and once after) so she'll have a little extra meseta and mag food. LOL

Ordy
Aug 26, 2012, 03:31 PM
Everything runs PSO2. Even a game boy advance could.

No I'm kidding but I'm running PSO2 on 1.5GB RAM and with a Geforce 7000m (yea it's a $3.00 GPU). 800x600 resolution, low settings.

Works fine, the game is slow only when people are spamming video chat or when Big Varder dies.

Lv.40, no problem soloing bosses.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 26, 2012, 03:35 PM
Everything runs PSO2. Even a game boy advance could.

I nearly died. :lol:

Mr-Phelps
Aug 27, 2012, 10:57 PM
Yeah can't wait for a US demo to be released. Ended up buying a laptop to play games like Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3. Since D3 was a disapointment to me, this should make up for it.

Gama
Aug 27, 2012, 11:06 PM
why wait?

PepperCat
Aug 27, 2012, 11:22 PM
Besides the story, the game is very playable in Japanese. :)

Chik'Tikka
Aug 28, 2012, 12:25 AM
^ and also there is a very complete fan made English patch, which, when used right works very well+^_^+ though it would be nice if Agra and gang would work on matter-board NPC talk translations+^_^+ i mean they got the "Yo"s and "hi"s when you walk past translated+^_^+ i wouldn't be surprised if Segac took segments from it to incorporate into the western version+^_^+

Mr-Phelps
Aug 28, 2012, 12:35 AM
I might give it a shot then, but where does one start if they want to do this?

Sizustar
Aug 28, 2012, 12:40 AM
I might give it a shot then, but where does one start if they want to do this?

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187376
http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-guide-list/

The most active English community is Ship-2, Block 20 generally.

Mr-Phelps
Aug 28, 2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks a lot Sizustar!