PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else feel that the Matter Boards are poorly constructed?

Takatsuki
Aug 21, 2012, 04:44 PM
The first Matter Board makes sense. It's all Forest, and Forest is the first area. The drops are pretty much all common and it should take no time at all to clear it, especially since it's smaller than the other Matter Boards, barring MB2.

The second Matter Board also makes sense. It's a combination of Caves and Desert, the second and third areas, respectively. The drops are, again, pretty common for the most part.

The third Matter Board is where things start to get a little weird. It's larger than the other Matter Boards before it, but it only covers one area, Tundra. Now, this kind of makes sense since Tundra is the fourth area, but it's also following three new Hard Mode areas. If you've already completed the first two Matter Boards during the initial run through normal mode, you have nothing to get until you unlock Tundra, which is ten levels after you unlock the first area of Hard mode. Also of note is that the drops are more rare than before and there's far more of them to get, but it requires you to go through the same areas over and over since they're all confined to one field instead of covering all 4 Hard Mode fields up to that point.

After that is when things get just plain stupid.

The fourth Matter Board covers Desert/Mines, both in Hard mode. The key here is that Mines shares many enemies (Spardan A, Spargun, Krahda, Breeada, Dagan, and El Ahda) with Desert, but this is really, for all intents and purposes, a Hard Desert Matter Board, because it includes enemies which are exclusive to Desert (Signo Gun and Gwanahda (who also technically appears in City)), and includes none of the enemies exclusive to Mines. Also, almost all of it's Event Tablet quests require you to visit the Desert and none of them require you to visit the Mines. So for a fair portion of this Matter Board, you're required to go back and grind an area that you have already had to grind through in order to unlock the area from the previous Matter Board. It is also of note that this Matter Board is when you start to see more 3 star and 4 star rarity drops required, which makes the grind that much longer.

But Matter Board five is just insane.

It's all about Caves, an area which you have had pretty much no reason to return to in a very long time. Every single drop on Matter Board five is exclusive to Caves (aside from the Darker quests) and NOTHING in Caves other than Darkers appears in any other field, which means you MUST grind Caves for pretty much the entire Matter Board. What makes it even worse is that you now have to contend with 5 star drops, some of which come from somewhat rare enemies and even bosses, which means you may have to redo entire boss run quests over and over just to get a drop you need. Also of note is that everything on this matter board is Ice elemental. Where is Ice useful? Absolutely nowhere other than Caves itself, which means these nice 5 star weapons with pretty good abilities that you can pick up off this Matter Board aren't even useful in the two harder areas which don't even have Matter Boards yet.

So then we must ask the question, what happens next? In September, we're getting 5 new weapon types, but we also have two areas that have no Matter Boards assigned to them (technically three, since there's no Matter Board for Hard Forest). Which is going to get Matter Board six, I wonder? Either way, someone is getting screwed.

If MB6 covers the various new weapons, we're going to have to grind old areas in Normal Mode to get more weapon drops, and if you have no interest in the new classes, or perhaps only one of those new classes, you're going to have to grind through it anyway because the NEXT Matter Board could very well be Mines, Floating Continent, or depending on how late Matter Board seven is released, it could even cover the NEXT field, or Very Hard mode.

If MB6 covers Mines/FC, then people who want drops of the new weapons with decent abilities on them from the MB will be out of luck, and they'll occasionally have to drop whatever they're doing with their new classes and go back to their Level 30+ class to grind in Mines/FC.

Ultimately, this would all be avoidable if you weren't forced to complete the Gold Matters in order to unlock the next Matter Board (perhaps you could just lock the story quests for future Gold Matters until you complete the quests for the previous ones), but that is not the case.

Personally, I think all the Matter Boards should be the same size as the first two, and they should be set up like this:
1. Normal Forest (It's fine how it is)
2. Normal Caves + Normal Desert (See above)
3. Hard Forest + Hard Caves + Hard Desert
4. Hard Tundra
5. Hard Mines
6. Hard Floating Continent

But I suppose we'll have to see what Sega has planned for the future...

Jakosifer
Aug 21, 2012, 05:02 PM
Matter Board 3 is indeed in an extremely strange spot. But it fits better storyline wise. Which is why they need to go ahead and make normal mode versions of the Hard mode onry missions

Gardios
Aug 21, 2012, 05:12 PM
Everyone should feel that they are poorly constructed because they are. It's probably because they decided to scrap Normal Tundra/Mines/everything... if we had them, MBs wouldn't be as retarded as they are right now.

Ezodagrom
Aug 21, 2012, 05:42 PM
The second Matter Board also makes sense. It's a combination of Caves and Desert, the second and third areas, respectively. The drops are, again, pretty common for the most part.
Note that there's 4 orbs in Matterboard 2 that require hard mode, 2 of them can only be done at lvl 25+, and 2 others can only be done either at 25+ or in hard mode Urban Recovery (emergency city mission that ends in Dark Ragne).
Those 4 are not required to reach the golden orbs though, they're pretty much optional.

Zorafim
Aug 21, 2012, 06:01 PM
One other thing. Again, there's almost nothing to do between lvs20-30. This includes matterboards. Now when you hit 30, all the sudden there's this cascade of 3 matterboards, with hard to find stuff, each bigger than any other matterboard you've already done, to do in 10 levels. I had to level another class just so that I could grind the later ones!

AC9breaker
Aug 21, 2012, 06:29 PM
So wait, is there like no free kill option like in PSO where you just burts/telepipe down to a stage and start killing shit?

Blackheart521
Aug 21, 2012, 07:20 PM
So wait, is there like no free kill option like in PSO where you just burts/telepipe down to a stage and start killing shit?

There is, but you have to beat the 3-4 missions for each area (depending on the area there are different numbers of missions) then you do a client order to unlock the free field which is usually beat the last two missions in the area with S rank under X amount of time, then after you beat a free field once you beat it again with an S rank in under X minutes and that unlocks the next area.

But Story is a completely separate thing from this, you can unlock all the areas without touching the Matter Boards. ^^;

TaigaUC
Aug 21, 2012, 10:10 PM
I think they're very poorly constructed from a player's perspective, but from a developer's perspective they are magnificent because they force players to replay old content, artificially extending the game's life.

Can't say I am a fan of such lazy methods, though.

sugarFO
Aug 21, 2012, 10:24 PM
Whenever I decide I'm going to work on Matterboards, I get sad. Lol.

Mike
Aug 21, 2012, 10:46 PM
I think they're very poorly constructed from a player's perspective, but from a developer's perspective they are magnificent because they force players to replay old content, artificially extending the game's life.

Can't say I am a fan of such lazy methods, though.
What would your alternative be?

FOnewearl-Lina
Aug 21, 2012, 10:52 PM
You need to think happy thoughts while you work on Matterboards then!

iTz PooKiie xx
Aug 21, 2012, 11:02 PM
Matterboard is great i see nothing wrong with them to be honest.

Annoying YES.

Better than psu story missions by a mile and a half.(or for people who don't live in the states 2414 meters).

Mystil
Aug 22, 2012, 12:05 AM
I don't bother with the matter board. Doesn't interest me.

Coatl
Aug 22, 2012, 04:57 PM
If you don't do the matterboards you'll never get the chance to listen to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MhWx9NOjmg&feature=autoplay&list=PL96B0F2D70E1A2AEE&playnext=1

Zorafim
Aug 22, 2012, 05:40 PM
You also won't get to pose with her either.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/Zorafin/PSO2/pso20120805_023452_009.jpg

Lostbob117
Aug 22, 2012, 05:43 PM
Nope.

Ezodagrom
Aug 22, 2012, 06:03 PM
The matterboards also unlock more NPCs in the lobbies, new NPC partner characters, and a few new client orders.

Coatl
Aug 22, 2012, 06:23 PM
Besides matterboards, what else is there to do anyway once you hit cap? Farm islands every day? Oh Joy.

gigawuts
Aug 22, 2012, 06:25 PM
Matterboards are pretty unintuitive and badly designed, but they function so you know whatever. I've seen worse mechanics.

Silver Crow
Aug 22, 2012, 08:49 PM
matterboard page 1-3 was piss easy for me. Onto matterboard page 4 haven't completed it yet though and i can't really be arsed...

Macras
Aug 22, 2012, 09:52 PM
while the drop rates could use some tweaking, i feel they properly represent the story missions they precede, which is their aim.

it actually kinda feels like you were meant to unlock areas then go have some fun with the story.

Garnet_Moon
Aug 22, 2012, 11:16 PM
Get rid of matterboards and add a real story mode. Oh, and an offline mode wouldn't hurt, either.

Link1275
Aug 22, 2012, 11:39 PM
The reason that it stinks, is because it's story. If it weren't story it wouldn't have you going all over the place. Personally I think that they should have kept the PSP series story format. Story
quest->regular quest->story quest->regular quest->etc.

KitsyLove
Aug 23, 2012, 04:52 AM
The reason that it stinks, is because it's story. If it weren't story it wouldn't have you going all over the place. Personally I think that they should have kept the PSP series story format. Story
quest->regular quest->story quest->regular quest->etc.

I agree, although I haven't have any other experience of PS besides the PSP2 game, but the quests/story format from those games is a good thing that they should've kept for PSO. It's at least not so annoying to go through. I'm spending so much time get get the matter boards done to get to the story parts. Dx

UnLucky
Aug 23, 2012, 06:49 AM
I've always said the matterboards are just for "something to do"

they're annoying and not very rewarding

but if you're bored, they give you some direction

gigawuts
Aug 23, 2012, 08:55 AM
I've always said the matterboards are just for "something to do"

they're annoying and not very rewarding

but if you're bored, they give you some direction

If we get more things like those ice 5* weapons it'll be completely worth it. But no, after that they went back into 3* weapons.