PDA

View Full Version : Road to pure striking mag

Udonge
Aug 22, 2012, 06:46 AM
I thought about switching to hunter but I require a striking mag in order to be at least somewhat effective. I thought I should just go for a pure striking mag. I'm wondering if there are any items that would decrease dex and doesn't increase any other stat except for s-atk. Monomates are an option but they only decrease dex by a very small amount. Thanks.

youcantcatchtheblue
Aug 22, 2012, 06:49 AM
try 4-star room items
they go for 2,000 meseta a pop at the room-decoration shop though.

I suggest feeding it a balance of S-ATK weapons and 4-star room items.

eharima
Aug 22, 2012, 07:03 AM
Striking mag food device, AC item, most effective, about 200k each in the AH
have fun!
(note; this is not fun mag feeding)

Sp-24
Aug 22, 2012, 07:04 AM
I think that feeding it Striking weapons and Monomates should do the trick.

Silver Crow
Aug 22, 2012, 07:07 AM
If you really want a pure S-Atk mag that badly then I suggest reading Banjo's Mag Guide (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198250). He explains the cheapest and easiest ways to level those (they are really hard to level).

I'm a Hunter and Ranger player and I use the Ability Hybrid mags to be honest. A bit of ability is always nice. Also comes with the advantage of leveling your mag faster. With form skipping you can get a Leo with; 121 S-Atk, 29 Dex. Though I went for Lyra first at Lv.30 to get 'Heal J' trigger (and then Antilla at 35). So I ended up paying only an extra 2 Ability; 119, 31.

For my Ranger mag I use the exact same setup so it's: 119 R-Atk, 31 Dex.

I think having even a little ability helps. There is no reason to go pure mag, the ability hybrid mags will do the same or more damage. There are no weapons that require 500+ base S-Atk. It's your choice though.

FlameOfYagami
Aug 22, 2012, 04:47 PM
A pure stricking MAG isn't that hard to get actually. It just going to grow much slower than other mags and it can get a bit expensive too.

If you want to make it easy on yourself you can simply just buy this ベンチ from the room deco shop. This gives the strike stat ONLY. However you're going to need a lot of money for that.

My best advice is to feed it strike weapons (which are cheap and can be found commonly while doing runs) then when it's Ability is about to lvl up feed it some of those room deco's I was talking about because those bring down the Ability stat by quite a lot!

My MAG is currently a 100Strike 50 Ability Leo mag. The reason why he has 50Ability is because I went for "looks" I really like that MAG so I wanted it. That said having 50 Ability isn't a bad thing so it works for me :)

Udonge
Aug 22, 2012, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. I also just went ahead and got another mag for pure tech :-P. Just wondering, how long would achieving a pure mag take? It's been 9 days since I got a mag for a pure range build and right now it's at level 76.

gigawuts
Aug 22, 2012, 06:21 PM
No no no no no don't do a delphinus for the love of god it is such a bad mag please don't.

Instead, try a Leo!

edit: Also, you can alternate 2* and 5* furniture to reduce ability, and they both counteract the other's raised stats. Far more time-effective than monomates, and far more price-effective than 4* furniture.

Coatl
Aug 22, 2012, 06:47 PM
Dephinus = mini hulk.

Gardios
Aug 22, 2012, 06:57 PM
Still not sure if I should go pure S-ATK/S-DEF for efficiency or if I should start pushing Ability to get a prettier Mag...

edit: Also, you can alternate 2* and 5* furniture to reduce ability, and they both counteract the other's raised stats. Far more time-effective than monomates, and far more price-effective than 4* furniture.

This is genius. I was feeding it Monomates all this time. D:

Silver Crow
Aug 22, 2012, 08:57 PM
No no no no no don't do a delphinus for the love of god it is such a bad mag please don't.

Instead, try a Leo!

How is Delphinus a bad mag? Its photon blast is good. Its trigger action is OK. It has to become Lyra first so it gets Heal J. And most important of all it can be pure S-Atk.

gigawuts
Aug 22, 2012, 09:58 PM
The PB is decent but the trigger action knocks enemies out of your attacks constantly. The ability it gives, invincibility A, is also mediocre since you can teach it that with a device.

Leo leaves you with the regular punches that don't lift enemies above your swings, can have HP J, and naturally learns buff E. If you prefer invincibility A, as I do most of the time, you can teach it that and just give it higher priority.

More ATK is not as universally good as more ATP in PSO1. Ability is an important stat and stabilizes damage so that you hit more consistently against enemies in exchange for higher crits. If you find yourself using a gunslash it also benefits the ranged attacks. I have no concrete proof, but I swear I was getting more blue text crits with higher ability too, in addition to non-blue text crit equivalent damage (which would be just randomly rolled peak damage, which is different from randomly rolling a crit which forces peak damage).

Oh yeah, and you can have a Leo with just 30 ability. I do. You could go as low as 16 if you raise s-atk and another stat such as s-def. My leo has HP J, 30 ability, invincibility A, and doesn't knock enemies above my swings any time it pleases. Honestly that alone is reason to avoid Delphinus, what an astonishing oversight to implement that. If they wanted longer stuns they could have just implemented a longer stun. It was obviously not player tested, or if it was it wasn't player tested on striking weapon classes. I can imagine it would be a brilliant trigger action for a ranger or force, though.

edit:

Still not sure if I should go pure S-ATK/S-DEF for efficiency or if I should start pushing Ability to get a prettier Mag...

This is genius. I was feeding it Monomates all this time. D:
You can credit Banjo with pointing that out to me. I suggest giving his thread a perusal, lots of great mag information lies in that thread. If you plan carefully you can get a very nice 16 ability Leo with good s-atk and s-def if you like, or even a Carina or Tucana with as little as 12 tech or ranged. My next project is a Tucana, when I get heavily into the game again (hopefully before the next update).

FlameOfYagami
Aug 22, 2012, 10:39 PM
The PB is decent but the trigger action knocks enemies out of your attacks constantly. The ability it gives, invincibility A, is also mediocre since you can teach it that with a device.

Leo leaves you with the regular punches that don't lift enemies above your swings, can have HP J, and naturally learns buff E. If you prefer invincibility A, as I do most of the time, you can teach it that and just give it higher priority.

More ATK is not as universally good as more ATP in PSO1. Ability is an important stat and stabilizes damage so that you hit more consistently against enemies in exchange for higher crits. If you find yourself using a gunslash it also benefits the ranged attacks. I have no concrete proof, but I swear I was getting more blue text crits with higher ability too, in addition to non-blue text crit equivalent damage (which would be just randomly rolled peak damage, which is different from randomly rolling a crit which forces peak damage).

Oh yeah, and you can have a Leo with just 30 ability. I do. You could go as low as 16 if you raise s-atk and another stat such as s-def. My leo has HP J, 30 ability, invincibility A, and doesn't knock enemies above my swings any time it pleases. Honestly that alone is reason to avoid Delphinus, what an astonishing oversight to implement that. If they wanted longer stuns they could have just implemented a longer stun. It was obviously not player tested, or if it was it wasn't player tested on striking weapon classes. I can imagine it would be a brilliant trigger action for a ranger or force, though.

edit:

You can credit Banjo with pointing that out to me. I suggest giving his thread a perusal, lots of great mag information lies in that thread. If you plan carefully you can get a very nice 16 ability Leo with good s-atk and s-def if you like, or even a Carina or Tucana with as little as 12 tech or ranged. My next project is a Tucana, when I get heavily into the game again (hopefully before the next update).

Wait what? How can you have a Leo mag with 30 ability only? He has to be a Ability based MAG at lvl 95 otherwise he wont turn into Leo.

Meaning that ability has to be the DOMINANT stat up until lvl 95!

gigawuts
Aug 22, 2012, 10:58 PM
Mags evolve at certain levels, right? 30, 35, 40, etc. Feed it something so it levels up twice, skipping the evolution level entirely, and it won't check if it should change forms.

After level 95 you're set. Level 100 is the third form - it only checks for its current form, and then if you match the criteria to evolve into any of its next forms.

FlameOfYagami
Aug 23, 2012, 06:37 AM
Mags evolve at certain levels, right? 30, 35, 40, etc. Feed it something so it levels up twice, skipping the evolution level entirely, and it won't check if it should change forms.

After level 95 you're set. Level 100 is the third form - it only checks for its current form, and then if you match the criteria to evolve into any of its next forms.

Explain this better because that was very vauge.

What do you mean EXACTLY (and in detail please) when you say "feed it something that level's it TWICE". What does that mean?

According to what I actually know about mags the second form mag (which determines the class of the mag Strike type, Range Type etc etc) needs to be "locked" in at lvl 95. So for example, if you want a ABILITY type third form mag it needs to be a Antlia at lvl 95 otherwise you wont get an ability mag.

Soo lets do some math here. If the mag has only 30 ability he will infact turn into Antlia, HOWEVER, once any other stat become the DOMINANT stat lets say for example, strike reacher 35 it will turn into a Lyra type MAG!

If you don't have atleast 50 ability on a mag I dont see how it can turn into a Leo mag without 50 ability.

I guess you can give it some Range and Tech to spread out the levels, but who wants a mag like that?

If you're a hunter why would you want your mag to ahve Range or tech?

Silver Crow
Aug 23, 2012, 06:58 AM
Explain this better because that was very vauge.

What do you mean EXACTLY (and in detail please) when you say "feed it something that level's it TWICE". What does that mean?

According to what I actually know about mags the second form mag (which determines the class of the mag Strike type, Range Type etc etc) needs to be "locked" in at lvl 95. So for example, if you want a ABILITY type third form mag it needs to be a Antlia at lvl 95 otherwise you wont get an ability mag.

Soo lets do some math here. If the mag has only 30 ability he will infact turn into Antlia, HOWEVER, once any other stat become the DOMINANT stat lets say for example, strike reacher 35 it will turn into a Lyra type MAG!

If you don't have atleast 50 ability on a mag I dont see how it can turn into a Leo mag without 50 ability.

I guess you can give it some Range and Tech to spread out the levels, but who wants a mag like that?

You can have a Leo with 9 Ability if you really wanted.

Most common is a Leo with 29 or 31 Ability... It's really simple to make. You have to skip 'form changing' levels such as 35, 40, 45 etc. Once you hit level 100 it will turn into Leo.

How to get 9 Ability Leo (there is no point but it's possible):

Lv.30: 8 S-Atk, 9 Ability, 7 T-Def, 6 R-Def

Level skip using Monomates to double level S-atk + S-def till lvl 95 then you get Leo at 100.

So you can manipulate exactly how much ability you want on a Leo (with the lowest being 9). This can be said for all Ability mags and some other mags.

And now for the common Leo builds:

121 S-Atk, 29 Ability (gets Antilla at 30 and form skips)
119 S-Atk, 31 Ability (gets Lyra at 30 then Antilla at 35 for Heal J, then form skips)

All of which are very good on hunters. Can be done on Corvus mag for rangers... Apus mag for forces... and SOME other branch mags.

Darki
Aug 23, 2012, 08:20 AM
Explain this bullshit

The explanation is simpler than you think.

There are items that raise more than one of the stat bars, right? For example, monomates raise both SATK and SDEF. Melee weapons raise both SATK and Ability.

If you raise those two "bars" in a way that when you give the next feed it would level up both stats at the same time, the mag will level up "twice". If your mag was at level 44, for example, and you do this, it would go from 44 to 46, so it would entirely skip the level where it would check if it shoulc change forms.

So to do this level skipping, you gotta get first the second evolution you want, in the case of a Leo, you get 16 Ability and 14 striking and it will evolve into an Antlia. Then you have to keep raising the striking stats, and every level previous for the evolution-check (every level previous to a multiple of 5) you feed it so it levels up twice, either by raising both SATK and SDEF at the same time with monomates (so it would be a leo with only 16 Ability) or raising also the Ability, in this case it would end getting only 30 Ability.

Depends on what you wanna do with it. Ranged or tech can be both RDEF or TDEF, and those can be useful even for a hunter. Also, when subclasses come making it possible to play hybrid classes, it would also make sense to make hybrid mags...

gigawuts
Aug 23, 2012, 08:29 AM
Why would you want range or tech? Well, for tech you get PP J. For range you get Buff J. Both are good options for a hunter. Only status clear really leaves anything to be desired.

My current mag project is a striking/ability Tucana with PP J. So at 30 it'll be 7/7/9/7 (striking/ranged/tech/ability)to turn into a lepus for PP J, then at 35 it'll be 10/11/9/7 to turn into a fornax, then at 100 it'll be 61/11/9/19 which would get a Tucana after skipping evolution levels.

And a small correction, if you're raising an HP J Leo you only need 30 ability.

edit: mixed up numbers, like usual

Gardios
Aug 23, 2012, 10:17 AM
Damn, I wish I knew about the level skip before. Mag's at 38 S-DEF right now, I guess having 41 ABL won't hurt too much because I can't afford rare weapons anyway. :lol:

gigawuts
Aug 23, 2012, 10:18 AM
Nah ability is a great stat to have, don't feel bad about it. It also reduces minimum damage taken, so it also acts as a defensive stat.

ABI/dex is just ATA & EVP condensed into one stat, with 0 damage misses being changed to a wider damage range (and presumably the same desired average damage dealt).

You can make up the difference with affixes, but personally I'd suggest having around 400 abi/dex.

Zorafim
Aug 23, 2012, 12:26 PM
I don't suggest going pure attack. The increase in damage isn't as big as you would think, and the decrease in defense due to not being able to equip good armor is pretty huge. Go hybrid attack/defense. It's nearly twice as easy to level, you can equip almost every weapon and armor, and you don't lose too much damage. I'd say at least 50 attack and defense, depending on your race and how much you need to equip the best weapons and armor, as well as what talents you've picked up.

Blues22475
Aug 23, 2012, 01:37 PM

Question on this...Is it still possible to see a form change at lv 95?

Currently I have:

Lyra Mag Lv 57
S-Atk 41
S-Def 4
Ability 12

If I understand this correctly, I would have to get Ability to at least 46 before lv 95 (if form change is possible then). This way I obtain Antlia and then could subsequently obtain Leo. My second question is that is this conclusion correct?

Third, would it even be worth trying this especially since it would take 30+ levels to reach the proper mag form?

gigawuts
Aug 23, 2012, 01:39 PM
Yes, it changes at 95 like any other level before 100. 95 is not in any way unique, aside from how it's the last evolution level before third forms come into play.

For your mag you would raise it to 48 ability, if you wanted only striking and ability. Ability would need to be the highest stat. Unless you intend on raising ranged or tech, 46 won't be high enough.

After that it's locked in as an antlia and its following evolutions.

Blues22475
Aug 23, 2012, 01:44 PM
Ok thanks for that. At this point I am not going to raise Tech nor range because I don't have enough levels for that (and as you said it wouldn't be enough).

gigawuts
Aug 23, 2012, 01:47 PM
Well, for an antlia the criteria isn't specifically that ability needs to be higher than 50%. It just needs to be the highest stat. You could do 26 ability if you also did 23 for striking, ranged, and tech.

Later on in third form mags is when you need to worry about stats being higher than 50% I believe, for the pure stat mags like delphinus and monoceros.

hanazawadeus
Aug 23, 2012, 02:21 PM
Mag doesn't add much to your damage nor your def, it's main use is to boost your stats so you can put on better equip. I support hybrid strike build too, for male human hunter all you need are 84 satk for best weapon(yet) and 53 sdef for best armor; But keep in mind, when the game goes on a decision has to be made, it's not good to go hybrid forever.

ah, female human needs 98 stak and 61sdef to equip best armor/equip...so..a tradeoff for pretty clothes :P

FlameOfYagami
Aug 23, 2012, 04:11 PM
The explanation is simpler than you think.

There are items that raise more than one of the stat bars, right? For example, monomates raise both SATK and SDEF. Melee weapons raise both SATK and Ability.

If you raise those two "bars" in a way that when you give the next feed it would level up both stats at the same time, the mag will level up "twice". If your mag was at level 44, for example, and you do this, it would go from 44 to 46, so it would entirely skip the level where it would check if it shoulc change forms.

So to do this level skipping, you gotta get first the second evolution you want, in the case of a Leo, you get 16 Ability and 14 striking and it will evolve into an Antlia. Then you have to keep raising the striking stats, and every level previous for the evolution-check (every level previous to a multiple of 5) you feed it so it levels up twice, either by raising both SATK and SDEF at the same time with monomates (so it would be a leo with only 16 Ability) or raising also the Ability, in this case it would end getting only 30 Ability.

Depends on what you wanna do with it. Ranged or tech can be both RDEF or TDEF, and those can be useful even for a hunter. Also, when subclasses come making it possible to play hybrid classes, it would also make sense to make hybrid mags...

Wow, I just learned something new today xD

I had no idea you could "skip" levels like that. Well that makes perfect sense now so thank you.

I guess that's true about the hybrid classes if you are planning on using them. I never tend to play those classes though. I'm more into the "pure" classes. If i'm playing hunter then I want to be a pure hunter in this case it would be like a fortefighter/Fightmaster.

That said, I dont want to pay for another mag and i'm happy with my build 100 strike 50 ability. I just hope that 50 ability doesn't go to waste. In the end of the day though, now that I look at it I would have liked to use that little "cape" armor since it's better than what I use now. But for that I would have had to invest in atleast 21 s-def. Its too late for that now though. Also when the level cap come around I should be able to use it unless they release some BETTER one with even higher requirements xD